Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

4 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Getting worked up over the smallest bloody things is the internet's raison d'etre.

There's no laugh/cry reaction on Primetimer. But you're right. I'm guilty of that attitude too.

4 hours ago, Anduin said:

"Marvel Gives Disappointing Update on Chris Hemsworth's Team Thor Shorts"

Some people can get worked up over the smallest bloody things. Watch them. Enjoy them. You shouldn't have to worry about how 'official' or 'canon' they are.

But then what would comic sites do if they couldn’t publish a dozen clickbait articles a day?

5 hours ago, Anduin said:

"Marvel Gives Disappointing Update on Chris Hemsworth's Team Thor Shorts"

I imagine that there are a lot of people who would be disappointed either way since these aren't a bunch of videos about Chris Hemsworth's shorts.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

Disney+ Reveals Marvel Chronological Watch Order Featuring 33 Movies, Shows & Shorts
By Lauren Rouse    January 22, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-chronological-watch-order-movies-shows

To celebrate the addition of these one-shots to the streaming service, Disney+ has refreshed its MCU timeline once again, bringing the count up to 33 different projects.
Note that this timeline does not include The Incredible Hulk or Marvel's Spider-Man trilogy as they are not currently available on Disney+.

marvel-cinematic-universe-timeline-movie

Actors Who Turned Down Marvel Roles
Matt Singer    January 21, 2022
https://screencrush.com/actors-who-turned-down-marvel-roles/ 

Most of Marvel’s actor negotiations remain shrouded in secrecy, but a few have come to light through the years. Below are ten of the most interesting (and potentially MCU altering) examples. ... In chronological order, here are some notable actors who’ve turned down major Marvel roles.

1. Russell Crowe, Wolverine
2. Matt Damon, Daredevil
3. Rachel McAdams, Pepper Potts
4. Emily Blunt, Black Widow
5. Emily Blunt, Agent Carter
6. Mel Gibson, Odin
7. Jessica Chastain, Maya Hansen
8. Joaquin Phoenix, Doctor Strange
9. Jason Momoa, Drax the Destroyer
10. Matthew McConaughey, Ego

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

There's a scene in my head, I can't remember which movie. Bucky is happily minding his own business, when people approach with a new arm. He's less than overjoyed, because he realises he's going to have to fight. Is that the Black Panther stinger, or is it in Infinity War? I ask because if it's the stinger, then it should be a lot closer to Infinity War. Unless that scene is some time after the bulk of the movie, taking place during IW.

11 minutes ago, Anduin said:

There's a scene in my head, I can't remember which movie. Bucky is happily minding his own business, when people approach with a new arm. He's less than overjoyed, because he realises he's going to have to fight. Is that the Black Panther stinger, or is it in Infinity War? I ask because if it's the stinger, then it should be a lot closer to Infinity War. Unless that scene is some time after the bulk of the movie, taking place during IW.

This scene?...

AVENGERS : INFINITY WAR (2018) Bucky's New Arm ! | FULL HD
THE CAPTAIN    Aug 15, 2018

• Love 2
8 hours ago, tv echo said:

Actors Who Turned Down Marvel Roles
Matt Singer    January 21, 2022
https://screencrush.com/actors-who-turned-down-marvel-roles/ 

1. Russell Crowe, Wolverine
2. Matt Damon, Daredevil
6. Mel Gibson, Odin
9. Jason Momoa, Drax the Destroyer
10. Matthew McConaughey, Ego

1. I know they're good, but still, why get these tall Antipodeans for Wolverine? What's wrong with finding a short Canadian?

2. Really? First Ben, then Matt?

6. Hopkins is a better person and actor than Gibson.

9. Probably didn't want a haircut.

10. I can't picture that at all. McConaughey has a certain style that's fine for some things, but not others.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Anduin said:

Shuri shows up at the village in Black Panther to show us Bucky is no longer on ice.

• Love 2

1. I know they're good, but still, why get these tall Antipodeans for Wolverine? What's wrong with finding a short Canadian?

We do know Russell has the drinking and the berserker rages down pat.

I think the franchise is better off with all those rejected casting options, with the possible exception of Emily Blunt's.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

We do know Russell has the drinking and the berserker rages down pat.

I think the franchise is better off with all those rejected casting options, with the possible exception of Emily Blunt's.

Russel Crowe could have at least been interesting as Wolverine. He could play the hell out of the weary beaten down soldier type. But he probably would have been only able to play the character for a few movies, and certainly not for the 17 years or so that Jackman played the role.

Jessica Chastain in Iron Man 3 could have been good. I wonder if her turning it down had to do with how they changed the script so that Killian was the main villain instead of Maya Hansen?

Isn't Matthew McConaughey too young to play Chris Pratt's father?  I mean, I know there's that whole celestial/living planet thing so aging would definitely not be like a human, but still...  Kurt Russell was good casting.

• Love 3

Recorded at Denver Pop Culture Con 2019 (but only posted on YouTube recently)...

Dave Bautista | What was it like getting the role of Drax?
FAN EXPO HQ   Jan 18, 2022

FYI: You can watch video of this entire panel here.

TRIVIA: In this panel, Dave is being interviewed by Gigi Edgley, who played Chiana on Farscape (a space opera TV series that aired on the SciFi Channel for four years, starting in 1999, but due to fan demand, returned for a three-hour miniseries to wrap up the series in 2004). James Gunn has tweeted that he was "most definitely" inspired by Farscape for his Guardians of the Galaxy movies.

ETA: Here's the screen test that Dave referred to in the video above...

Chris Pratt and Dave Bautista Screen Test - Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy
Marvel Entertainment  Dec 5, 2015

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
39 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Isn't Matthew McConaughey too young to play Chris Pratt's father?  I mean, I know there's that whole celestial/living planet thing so aging would definitely not be like a human, but still...  Kurt Russell was good casting.

I agree. Since Ego is a Celestial, McConaughey certainly COULD have played the role, but given all of Peter Quill's father issues, I think it was important for the story that Ego was someone who LOOKED like he could be Quill's dad. I couldn't imagine the "catch" scene, for example, working as well with Matthew McConaughey.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, tv echo said:

TRIVIA: In this panel, Dave is being interviewed by Gigi Edgley, who played Chiana on Farscape (a space opera TV series that aired on the SciFi Channel for four years, starting in 1999, but due to fan demand, returned for a three-hour miniseries to wrap up the series in 2004). James Gunn has tweeted that he was "most definitely" inspired by Farscape for his Guardians of the Galaxy movies.

I realised that a few years ago on this very site. :) You have the Earth everyman out in space, the badass warrior woman, the big alien warrior, the small thief, and the mobile plant. The character equivalents aren't exactly 1:1, but they're clear. Also, GOTG 2 even had Ben Browder, the Earth man and lead character.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Anduin said:

I realised that a few years ago on this very site. :) You have the Earth everyman out in space, the badass warrior woman, the big alien warrior, the small thief, and the mobile plant. The character equivalents aren't exactly 1:1, but they're clear. Also, GOTG 2 even had Ben Browder, the Earth man and lead character.

Yeah I get such Farscape nostalgia whenever I watch GOTG.  It was kind of a relief to find out that wasn’t accidental, and it wasn’t just me.   Honestly, I much prefer Farscape (which reminds me, I need to do a rewatch before Prime takes it down).

• Love 4
1 minute ago, swanpride said:

Someone spoiled a post credit scene? Now I am so glad that I have started to avoid this kind of Marvel news....

EVERYONE spoiled the post credit scene in Eternals.  I tried to avoid it but it was all over Twitter.

8 hours ago, swanpride said:

Someone spoiled a post credit scene? Now I am so glad that I have started to avoid this kind of Marvel news....

The really bad thing is that a lot of comic news sites started putting it in the headline and other sites pick it up. I ran across that stupid spoiler all over the place but not on social media. 

New Data Reveals Which Marvel Shows Drove the Most Disney+ Subscribers
By Sam Hargrave    Feb 2, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-shows-disney-plus-subscribers-most 

A recent report from The Wall Street Journal revealed the number of new Disney+ subscribers per day since 2020, demonstrating how Marvel and Star Wars releases drive growth to the streaming service.
Among the MCU series, Hawkeye's premiere surprisingly demonstrated the strongest impact on subscriber numbers, with 71k new sign-ups the day after release. Both WandaVision and The Falcon and the Winter Soldier came close to matching the figure with 70,000 and 63,000 peaks around the respective premieres.

Meanwhile, Loki lagged behind with a disappointing 47,000 new subscribers, while the animated series What If...? dropped even further to only 36,000 on the first weekend after the premiere. 

Marvel Studios' only Premier Access release, Black Widow, allowed the title to be purchased by Disney+ subscribers for an additional fee. The day after the launch, July 10, 2021, saw an impressive 80,000 subscribers although the Scarlett Johansson flick was supplemented by the premiere of Monsters at Work as well as the later episodes of Star Wars: The Bad Batch and Loki

Disney+ Day proved to be a major success for the service with 103,000 new subscribers on the November 12, 2021, event. The special event saw several significant releases, including Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, Home Sweet Home Alone, and a look into the future of the MCU that featured multiple new announcements.

disney_plus_charts_updatee.jpg

Edited by tv echo
3 hours ago, swanpride said:

It's a little bit surprising that Hawkeye still drove new subscribers...one would have thought that Marvel fans already went in for the other shows and movies. But maybe Christmas was a factor there too...

Maybe, but I think a lot of people were surprised by how well the show served both Hawkeye and Jeremy Renner. The added factors of it being essentially a requiem for Natasha and the passing of the mantle to Kate Bishop also probably contributed. I don't know what the whole plan is going forward, but now that Dickinson is finished it would be dumb to not snap up Hailee Steinfeld for further exploration and adventures.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, swanpride said:

It's a little bit surprising that Hawkeye still drove new subscribers...one would have thought that Marvel fans already went in for the other shows and movies. But maybe Christmas was a factor there too...

I also wonder if they were truly "new" subscribers, or maybe people who cancel and renew their subscriptions as new shows that interest come out, but don't want to pay when there is nothing new that they want to watch.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

My thinking is that, for WandaVision, there was a big bump in new subscribers, and a lot of them rode it out through the next few shows, since The Falcon and the Winter Soldier premiered a few weeks after WV ended and Loki started maybe 6 weeks after TFatWS finished. So each subsequent show brought in fewer new subscribers, but a lot of it was just people sticking around. But after that, there was a longer stretch with no new MCU shows, and What If...? was probably less of a draw for some, so a number of those fans dropped their subscriptions, then came back for Hawkeye.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I know Hawkeye isn't the most popular Avenger online but he was a big part of Endgame and an actual Avenger in the Avengers movies, unlike everyone else that got a show (Wanda and Sam were Avengers but not part of the core 6). I'm sure there's a large swath of the general public who wanted to check out his show.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

I know Hawkeye isn't the most popular Avenger online but he was a big part of Endgame and an actual Avenger in the Avengers movies, unlike everyone else that got a show (Wanda and Sam were Avengers but not part of the core 6). I'm sure there's a large swath of the general public who wanted to check out his show.

When I was first starting to watch the movies in the summer of 2020, I rated every movie with Hawkeye higher than those without. Only the later movies like Black Panther and Dr. Strange broke that rating system for me. Hawkeye is awesome. 

• Love 2

This new Nissan ad features Brie Larson, Danai Gurira and Dave Bautista...

Schitt's Creek Stars Join Forces With Some MCU Faves, Including Brie Larson, For A Super Bowl Ad
By Jessica Rawden     Feb 3, 2022
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/schitts-creek-stars-join-forces-with-some-mcu-faves-including-brie-larson-for-a-super-bowl-ad 

Super Bowl ads can be weird and wonderful, and occasionally even wish fulfillment for fans. Such may be the case with this year’s recently released Nissan ad, a spot that will get prime ad space during Super Bowl LVI and features none other than Schitt’s Creek star Eugene Levy playing a superhero. Oh yeah, and stars from Marvel movies Brie Larson, Dave Bautista, Danai Gurira also pop in. Plus, there's a special Schitt’s Creek cameo, too.  

Nissan Presents: Thrill Driver
Nissan USA    Feb 3, 2022

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

CC hints that we haven't seen the last of his Matt Murdock character in the MCU...

-- Charlie Cox: "I think at this point, I expect to be involved in some capacity. Otherwise, it would be a bit of a weird one-scene moment. ... I don't know much. I know a little... And what I do know, I'm very excited about. ... There's a chance it was gonna be the next ten years of my life."

Charlie Cox - Daredevil & Matt Murdock's MCU return - THAT scene & what's brewing next...
HeyUGuys    Feb 8, 2022

Edited by tv echo
17 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Didn't that happen last year? Did I miss a meeting?

Well I missed the announcement, but I did catch one that all Stargate's would be removed since Amazon was interested. So I sped up my watching and after the published deadline Stargate is still up on Netflix. 

But in this case I think if anyone wants to catch up with the Defenders plus the Punisher they have a week to get through a lot of seasons.

Edited by Raja
  • Useful 1

Disney Preps Plans For Netflix’s ‘Daredevil’, ‘Jessica Jones’, ‘Luke Cage’ & Co. As It Is Set To Regain Control Of Marvel Series
By Nellie Andreeva    February 11, 2022
https://deadline.com/2022/02/disney-daredevil-jessica-jones-luke-cage-leave-netflix-marvel-series-new-home-1234931854/ 

Sources confirm to Deadline that Netflix’s license for Marvel’s Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, The Punisher, Iron Fist and The Defenders team-up limited series is ending and the rights to the shows is reverting to Disney. The company is keeping mum about its distribution plans for the suite of series; they are expected to be announced the shows’ new streaming home soon.

• Useful 2
52 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

When I saw that announcement, I assumed that Disney wants everything.  Give it a few months and they'll all be on Disney+.

Cloak & Dagger and Runaways are on their Hulu subsidiary so I guess they are complete on 1 March

Roland Emmerich on Leaving Conspiracy Theories Behind After ‘Moonfall’ – Exclusive Interview
by Nicolás Delgadillo February 11, 2022
https://discussingfilm.net/2022/02/11/roland-emmerich-on-leaving-conspiracy-theories-behind-after-moonfall-exclusive-interview/

How do you feel about releasing this kind of large-scale theatrical event at a time when it’s been tough for non IP-driven movies like this?

Roland Emmerich: Well, it gets harder and harder. I’m really not very happy about that. How many superhero movies can you make? They’re making like, 7 or 8 Spider-Man [films]? It’s just very boring for me, as a filmmaker. You don’t want to keep making the same movies over and over.

Edited by tv echo
On 2/12/2022 at 9:52 AM, Raja said:

Cloak & Dagger and Runaways are on their Hulu subsidiary so I guess they are complete on 1 March

Runaways is also on Disney+.  I think Cloak and Dagger is the only one that they don’t have yet.  Well, except the Netflix shows, but I’m betting they go to Disney+ rather then to Hulu. 

7 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I KNOW that voice! 😯

Who? I thought I heard a German or Scandinavian accent, but I'm not sure.

Okay, this trailer looks interesting. However, my MCU watching has been mixed in recent years. Do you think I need to see Dr Strange 1, Wandavision, or The new Spider-Man to understand this, or can I get by on summaries?