Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E10: Poor Trev

preeya
  • Start Topic

Both teams are down to four chefs each, as the competition continues to heat up. The dining room gets an Italian transformation for one of the most anticipated challenges of the season - the blind taste test. Hell's Kitchen then closes its doors to the public for a special charity dinner service, during which the two teams cook to honor supporters of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and the Waterkeeper Alliance, with a new five-course Italian menu.

Okay, jumping in early (for my CST time zone). Why do they insult our intelligence by hammering us with OMG the Hell's kitchen is closed to the public for a special event. For God's sake, it is NEVER open to the public, only to producer selected z list celebrities.

• Love 15

Hell’s Kitchen is a studio, period. Not a restaurant. Extras who are members of SAG/AFTRA make up the bulk of the diners. I haven’t watched this season much, I hate when they bring people back that I didn’t like the first time around.

• Love 5

Poor Trev my foot. He should know the blind taste test is coming and lay off the chain smoking.

Bye, Jose. That raw scallopini did you in. 

The men's team is never going to win with Bret and Trev on it. 

Also, Bret, once again, don't really care that you're Mr Italian Heritage. Just once I'd like to see someone being Mr Norwegian or Mr Djibouti Heritage.

• Love 13

I wondered what would be so spectacular that they'd cut part of the taste test. I guess it was half a table sending back veal. It was nice to see Dylan Bruno, who I loved on "Numbers." But otherwise it didn't seem so earthshaking. 

A drop of sweat fell off Bret's nose onto whatever he was making (I think it must have been the scallops, although the shot was framed to not show the food, probably to avoid a lawsuit). Ugh! I almost hurled. 

I felt like Kanae screwed up the pasta, not Heather. Heather was trying to portion before she made the plates look pretty, which was what Ramsay wanted. Kenae wanted her to make the plates pretty first. She was lucky that the men screwed up so bad. 

The veal stuff was horrible, but I laughed when that one guy's was so raw that Marino actually put a comforting hand on his shoulder, and tactful Christina actually said "Wow" in disbelief. Marino said he needed six, and the narrator said that half of the 12-top had sent theirs back, but I rewound and Marino brought more than six plates back. Maybe someone who just would never eat veal also returned theirs. Yuck. They couldn't have just recooked the same veal, could they? It looked like it, but how would they have matched up people's plates?

Edited by Mystery
punctuation is important
  • Love 4

I have to say I felt bad for Jose.  I really did.  

Don’t ever remember that many dishes coming back.  Smacks of a set-up truthfully. Don’t care if it’s a HK set-up or a teammate set-up.  They are one and the same.

Don’t come back for a second time, Jose.  Hopefully you see what Brett/Trev look/act like a second time around.  I don’t want that for you. At all.  

So is Motto next?  Or do they mix the men and women into different teams?  Or become one team?  

The comedy team of Brett/Trev are probably safe. Who will be the next to go?

Edited by Ellee
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I haven’t watched this season much, I hate when they bring people back that I didn’t like the first time around.

Yeah, it does seem that this season is about bringing back the contestants I hated on previous seasons. Heather, Trevor, Bret, are all people I never needed to see again.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, DoctorK said:

Okay, jumping in early (for my CST time zone). Why do they insult our intelligence by hammering us with OMG the Hell's kitchen is closed to the public for a special event. For God's sake, it is NEVER open to the public, only to producer selected z list celebrities.

I was hoping both Trev and Jose went home. Only Motto on the guys team deserves to be there. A woman will probably win.

8 hours ago, tunajune said:

Poor Trev indeed.  It's hard to watch him complain about his poor performance on the palate challenge while he's sucking on cigarettes.

I’m sure that didn’t help his palate much.

1 hour ago, xcrayon2215x said:

I didn't think Jose would win but he should have stayed over Trev. Mia, Ariel and Motto look like the Final 3. I think Trev will outlast Bret and then be gone. 

I agree Mia, Ariel and Motto should be the final 3.

Edited by Booklady1017
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Ellee said:

I have to say I felt bad for Jose.  I really did.  

Don’t ever remember that many dishes coming back.  Smacks of a set-up truthfully. Don’t care if it’s a HK set-up or a teammate set-up.  They are one and the same.

Don’t come back for a second time, Jose.  Hopefully you see what Brett/Trev look/act like a second time around.  I don’t want that for you. At all.  

I felt the same way.  I liked Jose and I'm really sad he did himself in like that.  I could tell Ramsay liked him too.  He's better than to be on this show.  Although I would like to see him again, hopefully in a better situation.

• Love 5
(edited)

The veal that was sent back really looked disgusting. Can't imagine how it ever made it out.

Isn't GR the last one to check it before it is served?

vlcsnap-00007.thumb.jpg.7fee58699b71693eb0c50f0be4351f04.jpg

Edited by preeya
  • Love 2

I was thinking that the break was a bad idea for this show because I wasn’t that interested to watch any more, but I did watch so I guess not. 

Although I did fall asleep when dinner service started and woke up after the elimination.  And I only rewound enough to see who got bounced, not to the beginning of dinner.  I liked Jose, he seemed like a genuinely nice guy if he was portrayed accurately.

This episode was called “Poor Trev?”  Fuck Trev.  Whiny baby.

I’m on board with a Mia, Motto And Ariel final three.

Those chef’s jackets must be SO unflattering because wow did Mia look amazing when she was at the spa.

• Love 7

Bret claiming women were falling all over him.  I somehow did not believe that when he said it.  He really does think highly of himself.

I wanted Trev gone.  But of course he brings more drama than Jose.  Motto is the only male left that is a decent chef.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, LakeGal said:

Bret claiming women were falling all over him.  I somehow did not believe that when he said it.  He really does think highly of himself.

Only those that are visually and mentally impaired.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, preeya said:

The veal that was sent back really looked disgusting. Can't imagine how it ever made it out.

vlcsnap-00007.thumb.jpg.7fee58699b71693eb0c50f0be4351f04.jpg

That's really gross. I thought it was up to Jose because he was in charge of the veal dish. Probably that's why Jose was let go and not Trev. If he called them on it, then we could actually find out whose fault it was for the veal? Does anyone recall?

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I was thinking that the break was a bad idea for this show because I wasn’t that interested to watch any more, but I did watch so I guess not. 

Although I did fall asleep when dinner service started and woke up after the elimination.  And I only rewound enough to see who got bounced, not to the beginning of dinner.  I liked Jose, he seemed like a genuinely nice guy if he was portrayed accurately.

This episode was called “Poor Trev?”  Fuck Trev.  Whiny baby.

I’m on board with a Mia, Motto And Ariel final three.

Those chef’s jackets must be SO unflattering because wow did Mia look amazing when she was at the spa.

Believe me, I'm no Trev fan, he's such a whiner, but I think Jose is kind of a follower for making fun of Trev when the other guys did too, that's why I'm not a big fan of Jose either.

2 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Poor Trev? Poor us. We're stuck with Trev for at least another week. 

I wanted Gordon Ramsay to send both Trev and Jose home and Bret too, if it was possible.

1 hour ago, LakeGal said:

I wanted Trev gone.  But of course he brings more drama than Jose.  Motto is the only male left that is a decent chef.

Bret has an inflated sense of self for sure. His cooking and looks are average and I'm sure he exaggerated how many women he has been with. I agree with you about Motto.

Edited by Booklady1017
  • Love 3

I always think that when plates are sent back.  Gordon is always shown checking everything including cutting into meats to check doneness but suddenly he didn't?  I don't believe it.  I suppose the excuse could be made that the veal was breaded but we often see Gordon cutting into Wellingtons and fish filets so I think he would have checked the protein - unless, of course, this was the episode where diners send stuff back.  Happens every season.

I agree that Mia, Ariel and Motto will be final three.  I hope Motto wins because he's the only one of the whole bunch that I don't loathe for one reason or another.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, mlp said:

Gordon is always shown checking everything including cutting into meats to check doneness

About this. GR should be an experienced enough chef to be able to tell how a cut of meat is cooked, without having to cut it into pieces. If you go to a restaurant here in Australia and order a steak, it comes out on the plate as a whole steak. If I, or anyone I know for that matter, received their steak as cut up pieces on the plate, it would be laughed at and sent back as it would more than likely be as dry af and completely unacceptable.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, aussieinsydney said:

About this. GR should be an experienced enough chef to be able to tell how a cut of meat is cooked, without having to cut it into pieces. If you go to a restaurant here in Australia and order a steak, it comes out on the plate as a whole steak. If I, or anyone I know for that matter, received their steak as cut up pieces on the plate, it would be laughed at and sent back as it would more than likely be as dry af and completely unacceptable.

I always wonder about this! I've never been anywhere (but then I don't go to expensive places often) where my meat's been cut into. And yet they show it all the time on this show. I think in this case, it was (poor) Trev who said something about the veal not being cut into. I guess the fact that it was breaded would mean that it HAD to be cut into, at least one piece? 

I can't remember, was it the veal course where the guy's team suggested 10 minutes but Heather said 8, and the guy acquiesced?

Edited by Mystery
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, aussieinsydney said:

This. Isn't he always going on about how you can just touch the meat to see how done it is??  Maybe if something is breaded (like the veal or the wellies) that changes things, but yeah there's gotta be a way to check a batch of steaks without mangling ones that are sent out. Heck, make an extra one to slice open and not send out.

Interesting that Heather tried to console Trev about his sad palate. I didn't think there was any friendship there at all, but eh maybe. Or show shenanigans. 

Lol ok where I can purchase a spaghetti cannon???

• Love 2

I believe Bret said he had a 2 year old in addition to his gf's kid which he said was kind of like his step-kid. 

I guess I'm the only one who felt sorry for Trev. He's by no means my favourite, but I hate how he's always being picked on. I loathe bullies and will always root for an underdog. "Root" might be a strong word, but I was happy to see Jose go because I wasn't thrilled with how he was also bullying Trevor like his peers. I had thought better of him. 

That veal looks really thick to me. Isn't it usually served much thinner? And Jose deserved to be thrown out because that veal was disgusting. 

Also, Trev, you want to win a taste challenge? Stop fucking smoking and maybe practice. You know it comes up every year, geez. 

Edited by jewel21
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Booklady1017 said:

Bret has an inflated sense of self for sure. His cooking and looks are average and I'm sure he exaggerated how many women he has been with. 

I think his looks are below average and possibly his cooking, too.  I agree with you that he's exaggerated how many women he's been with.  He is so repulsive to me that my stomach feels queasy watching him.  I rarely have a reaction so strong.

• Love 8
54 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I think his looks are below average and possibly his cooking, too.  I agree with you that he's exaggerated how many women he's been with.  He is so repulsive to me that my stomach feels queasy watching him.  I rarely have a reaction so strong.

Brett talking about all the women he's slept with made my stomach churn, but I don't doubt that there are a lot of women out there with incredibly low standards. Maybe just working at a restaurant made him desirable to some.

But I was truly offended by his joking about all the illegitimate children he might've fathered. I hate when guys say that as a boast. To me, there is nothing cool or manly about fathering children out of wedlock. Even thought it's likely a hollow boast, it's still in bad taste.

I'm on record as maybe being the only (or one of very few) people who likes Trev. This episode made me realize that part of that is feeling naturally sympathetic to the victim of group bullying. Sad that even with Scotley gone, Brett and the others are continuing to pick on Trev. It makes them look small and petty. So as long as the bullying of Trev continues, I will continue to root for him over his attackers. Scotley gone, now Jose. Only Brett remains.

It really has been a dismal group of male contestants. All the remaining women are preferable to any of the men.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, bluepiano said:

Brett talking about all the women he's slept with made my stomach churn, but I don't doubt that there are a lot of women out there with incredibly low standards. Maybe just working at a restaurant made him desirable to some.

But I was truly offended by his joking about all the illegitimate children he might've fathered. I hate when guys say that as a boast. To me, there is nothing cool or manly about fathering children out of wedlock. Even thought it's likely a hollow boast, it's still in bad taste.

In my experience, guys that brag that much about how all the chicks used to be all over them and wonder aloud on camera about how many kids they might have fathered are full of crap and are just the opposite - Women run away from them and they don't get far enough with any of them to have kids they don't know about.  He's just trying to look like what he thinks a stud is but it was a very lame and pathetic attempt that I saw through right away and which once again made my stomach turn.

• Love 5
(edited)
27 minutes ago, bluepiano said:

Brett is a druggie with delusions of sexual grandeur.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/20181130/chef-hells-kitchen-contestant-arrested-on-drug-charges

Edited by preeya
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

I watch Judge Judy.  Trust me . . . there are a LOT of women so desperate for male attention that they'll sleep with, be impregnated by, and give money to some real losers.

Yes, but losers with some kind of mojo, which Brett completely lacks, in fact he's in the negative column in that regard.  Usually when I'm that repulsed so are most females.  The bragging is what tells me it's "in his dreams" and not reality.  Guys with mojo don't have to brag.  If he gets anywhere he has to pay dearly for it.  Which I'm sure he does.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, preeya said:

Rutrow, he is following in Hk's sixth season winner Dave. I bet a third of most chefs have at least tried the druggie lifestyle, if not having been busted for it. Seems like at least one top chef contestant each season mentions some drug trouble in their past in the talking head segments.

https://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2014/09/hells_kitchen_winner_david_levey_arrested_during_mendham_drug_bust_cops_say.html

42 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

Was David Levey the one who had the broken arm the entire competition? Because if so, he was my all-time favourite winner, damn it. 

Yeah, he like broke his wrist polishing the fire truck. Nice guy, shame on the drug bust.

• Love 1
On 1/5/2019 at 10:48 PM, galaxychaser said:

Trev and Jose live in NY.  

Yeah jose bullying Trevor wasn’t cool. 

Who finds Trev datable?

I didn't realize Trev was from NY. I knew Jose is. Ew Trev is not dateable. I don't like Trev but it's not right to bully him either.

On 1/6/2019 at 12:10 AM, bluepiano said:

I'm on record as maybe being the only (or one of very few) people who likes Trev. This episode made me realize that part of that is feeling naturally sympathetic to the victim of group bullying. Sad that even with Scotley gone, Brett and the others are continuing to pick on Trev. It makes them look small and petty. So as long as the bullying of Trev continues, I will continue to root for him over his attackers. Scotley gone, now Jose. Only Brett remains.

It really has been a dismal group of male contestants. All the remaining women are preferable to any of the men.

I don't like Trev but at least you don't see him bullying or insulting his fellow contestants. 

I always think of Trev asking Gail if she wants to make out. She says no. He says, "It was worth a try." They both laugh. I laugh.  I don't have a problem with a guy showing some interest, as long as he's willing to take the response. 

I'm torn about him. Scotley was an idiot. He was another one who didn't understand that the cameras see everything. Sometimes a contestant will leave because the messed up so bad at service, but sometimes, they go because hiring someone like that would be a liability. There's teasing and there's bullying and workplace harassment. I don't think a guy has to take another guy's foolishness just because they are guys. He was like the Jersey girl from the other year, who emptied an ashtray on another contestant. Yeah, drama is good, but getting rid of lawsuits in the making is even better. 

So, that bit of understanding aside, Trev does have times when he is as mean-spirited as some of the others and he is often unable to see that people aren't ganging up on him, just because they choose him to go up, if his cooking wasn't up to par. That's what happens. Personally, if he does win, I'd like to see the faces of some of the castmates who gave him such a hard time in his first season. There must be a reason that GR brought him back.

I'm still surprised Kevin isn't still around, tho.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, aliya said:

There must be a reason that GR brought him back.

For all the reasons mentioned in the full text or your post. DRAMA! Ratings rule.

Have you ever seen an episode titled after a total loser before?

• Love 3

Brett , and his studly boasting, reminds me of the old saying “He couldn’t get laid in a Bangkok Brothel even if he was waving a fistful of fifties”. His comment about spawning illegitimate kids hither and yon also lowered my already low opinion of him.

Trev, not only chainsmoking butts, but washing down the the nicotine with cherry gatorade. No surprise he can’t  taste anything. 

Am I the only one who was hoping for a mass dismissal from the show of the entire mens team? This crew would be above their culinary levels at a White Castle.

• Love 6

So the palate taste doesn't count for anything, except for the chance at a spa day or some other prize? Trev said it himself: GR will never hire a chef who can't tell banana from mango, or whatever it was. That should have figured into the final decision, not that Jose didn't fuck up too. But keep on smoking, Trev! 

It was indeed nice to see Dylan Bruno (NUMB3RS!) but Chad Lowe...wow. I'd kind of forgotten about him. I did enjoy Camryn Manheim's table/kitchen commentary. I think they should always hire cast someone who makes light of the shenanigans.

• Love 2
On 1/9/2019 at 9:22 AM, WendyM said:

So the palate taste doesn't count for anything, except for the chance at a spa day or some other prize? Trev said it himself: GR will never hire a chef who can't tell banana from mango, or whatever it was. That should have figured into the final decision, not that Jose didn't fuck up too. But keep on smoking, Trev! 

It was indeed nice to see Dylan Bruno (NUMB3RS!) but Chad Lowe...wow. I'd kind of forgotten about him. I did enjoy Camryn Manheim's table/kitchen commentary. I think they should always hire cast someone who makes light of the shenanigans.

Ditto. I've always loved Camryn Manheim. And agree on making comments - it's boring see D list celebs just saying 'omg' when he starts yelling. Writers, punch up those scripts for the diners!!!

• Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 12:02 PM, Booklady1017 said:

Bret has an inflated sense of self for sure. His cooking and looks are average and I'm sure he exaggerated how many women he has been with. I agree with you about Motto.

he would need a complete makeover to even come close to being "average"  in looks.  he's hideous. 

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 9:39 AM, AZChristian said:

I watch Judge Judy.  Trust me . . . there are a LOT of women so desperate for male attention that they'll sleep with, be impregnated by, and give money to some real losers.

True. Some of them even sight unseen, as their dear one is behind bars and is just a pen pal. Judge Judy rules! I'd like to see her as a judge on some of these food shows.

• Love 1