Type keyword(s) to search

Kids Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Poor Joseph, he had a really, really bad day.  It was the right elimination, but I will miss his cute face.

Ellora for the win!!!  What a sweet personality and true talent for someone so young.  

Overall, I like all the remaining kids.  

• Love 7
8 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Awww poor Joseph. He really bombed tonight. I can't believe there's only Santiago left from the boys. At least he had good perspective in his parting words. He did beat thousands of kids just to be there.

What does Ellora have to do to win a challenge? I just hope her talking head about winning next week doesn't jinx her! 

Yeah, Joseph really didn't do well. I liked that he didn't throw a rant after he was cut, unlike the previous week. I also don't know what Ellora has to do to win a challenge. She has done steadily well since the beginning, but it seems like Duff is all about Riya. I also thought that nearly all of the puffs with the cracqueline, looked disgusting, like they all had strange growths on them. I didn't think Lucia's, Santiago's or Summer's looked good at all, but they got by on taste. I also think that Ellora is just the cutest thing ever, and I love her personality!

• Love 2

Joseph has been in the bottom a lot lately and his puff was not good in a number of ways. I am bummed because I liked him but that was one flat puff and there wasn't enough cream and the cream didn't taste like apple. 

It has been nice to see that the kids are leaving for the right reasons. I have not seen much that makes me think that the wrong kid has gone home. 

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Joseph has been in the bottom a lot lately and his puff was not good in a number of ways. I am bummed because I liked him but that was one flat puff and there wasn't enough cream and the cream didn't taste like apple. 

It has been nice to see that the kids are leaving for the right reasons. I have not seen much that makes me think that the wrong kid has gone home. 

I keep thinking that Santiago is going to go, but he seems to have an angel on his shoulder!

• Love 1

The talking head with Santiago and Riya was hilarious, where he was talking about what a great partner she was and how strong, and when it was her turn, she just sort of quietly smiled politely and forced out a "he's...good." Hee. 

Also loved Ellora's "our team dynamic is..." So much maturity from that sweet little face!

Agree that most of the cream puffs did not look very appetizing. That thick craquelin on a lot of them looked like a fungus. 

• Love 7

You could tell that most of the kids had never made cream puffs before this. Most of the cream puffs looked bad and the craquelin was way too thick.  That was a hard challenge for them. I don't think I can remember a challenge were so many kids struggled. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Iseut said:

The talking head with Santiago and Riya was hilarious, where he was talking about what a great partner she was and how strong, and when it was her turn, she just sort of quietly smiled politely and forced out a "he's...good." Hee. 

That was hilarious!

Poor Joseph, just not his day.  He was a sweetie.  Sorry to see him go but those cream puffs had neither cream nor puff.  Anyone know if his only issue was opening the oven? I kind of wish Duff and Val would elaborate a bit more with some of the issues these bakers encounter.  Like with Summer.  What the heck happened to her craquelin?  I get that they loved the flavor (I love me some crispy bits, too) but it would've been nice to hear why it melted off in the first place.

I can't begrudge Riya the win this week, those cream puffs were beautiful.  

Ellora is still my absolute favorite, lovely, adorable and so calm and competent.  If hers had puffed up a bit more I think she'd have taken it since she apparently nailed the flavor.  She continues to deliver great work.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, JenMD said:

Ellora is still my absolute favorite, lovely, adorable and so calm and competent.  If hers had puffed up a bit more I think she'd have taken it since she apparently nailed the flavor.  She continues to deliver great work.

She was the only one who demonstrated rolling the cracqueline super thin, so I don't know how the others got away with making their layers as thick as cookies. I just want Ellora to win a challenge! I was wondering why her shoulders were shaking when they were being judged and I realized she was wringing her hands behind her back. She tries so hard!

• Love 6

I like all of the remaining kids. It was sad to see Joseph go, but the judges got it right. I found it interesting at judges table that Duff got up, went over to Joseph's other puffs, and picked a different puff to try. Of course, all of Joseph's cream puffs are supposed to be consistent and correct. I figure that Duff did that to make Joseph feel better. 

What did Joseph do with his time? Lucia had to start her dough over again 3 times but Joseph isn't ahead of her by much. 

Ellora and Summer made a good team. I'm glad they helped each other out. Ellora is so adorable. 

• Love 4
On 1/25/2022 at 9:18 AM, susannah said:

I liked that he didn't throw a rant after he was cut, unlike the previous week.

We must have been watching different shows, I didn't see Caroline throw a rant. People are allowed to be disappointed, even unpopular kids. 

Sorry to see Joseph go, he tried really hard.  The Knoxville Girls, cute.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, trudysmom said:

We must have been watching different shows, I didn't see Caroline throw a rant. People are allowed to be disappointed, even unpopular kids. 

Sorry to see Joseph go, he tried really hard.  The Knoxville Girls, cute.

She was screaming about the dried pineapple. I didn't say she wasn't allowed to be disappointed. Every kid who is cut is disappointed. But throwing a rant is bratty, and I don't like to see it. Little Joseph showed maturity when he was cut, as did Finley.

• Love 1
On 1/25/2022 at 9:25 PM, TexasTiffany said:

Ellora and Summer made a good team. I'm glad they helped each other out. Ellora is so adorable. 

As far as I could see, Ellora had it all in hand, and the only one that needed help was Summer. I could be wrong. They did make a good team though.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Now I want to make the Bulldog brittle but add chocolate chips on top. One of the problems about living alone is if you make something sweet you either have to throw some away or eat it all.

I hear you on that! I love banana cream pie, but I can't make it, because it doesn't keep.

• Love 1
On 1/25/2022 at 11:25 PM, TexasTiffany said:

On 1/27/2022 at 9:19 PM, susannah said:

As far as I could see, Ellora had it all in hand, and the only one that needed help was Summer. I could be wrong. They did make a good team though.

Ellora had her puffs and craquelin spot on. They were helping each other out talking to one another, being supportive, which isn't difficult to understand. 

Most of these young bakers I can see being asked back for other Food Network baking shows in the future. I like all of the kids remaining. It makes it easier to take when they get eliminated. We will see Joseph again. 

• Love 1
On 1/28/2022 at 7:54 PM, jcbrown said:

I think this may be like the version you are referring to. I've made it, too, and it is surprisingly delicious for something so easy. 

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/trisha-yearwood/sweet-and-saltines-recipe-2107651

I thought I made them with saltines, but the recipe I thought I used is made with graham crackers. It was a long time ago! It’s the same as Trisha’s recipe, but it also has 1/8 tsp salt added to the butter with the sugar, and 1/2 tsp vanilla, added with the nuts. I might need to try all of these recipes, for research purposes. 😋

• Love 2
1 hour ago, TomGirl said:

So happy to see Ellora finally get the win!

Me too!!! She so deserved it, her dish was perfect. Not only that, but she went beyond the easy fondant asparagus and made a rolled cookie. Santiago and Lucia definitely had bad days, but I thought that Sarah's? chicken leg looked like something out of the Flintstones.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

I thought that Lucia would end up going home. It was her second week in the bottom, her roll was just ok and she had a ton of frosting on as the mustard and ketchup. But Santiago's corn did not look like corn and the cut up fruit on the skewers worked ok but I thought were a but of a cop out. 

I actually wasn't thrilled with the use of fruit by so many of the kids in their desserts. I get why they did it but it seems like an easy way out. At least the coleslaw aimed for smaller type cuts to make it look like coleslaw. I know they were not the precise cuts that Duff and Val would have really wanted but that comes with time and practice with a knife. 

I thought the chicken leg was better then the ribs in how it looked and because it was a well done unique flavor. 

Loved the bake beans imposter though. That was all sorts of smart. I was surprised that she was doing a pan fry to toast the nuts and didn't pop them in the oven. But the idea was brilliant.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I thought that Lucia would end up going home. It was her second week in the bottom, her roll was just ok and she had a ton of frosting on as the mustard and ketchup. But Santiago's corn did not look like corn and the cut up fruit on the skewers worked ok but I thought were a but of a cop out

I was sure it would be one or the other of them. Both their dishes looked big messes. I agree that just putting fruit on the skewers was a cop out. Lucia is not a strong contender, but often weak links get to stay when someone else is worse! I thought Summer's mac and cheese looked spot on.

• Love 4

Aw, Santiago named his dog "Duffy".  He may not have been the best baker of the bunch but he was charming and I liked him very much. 

Like everyone else commenting I like the remaining contestants.  Ellora clearly won this week and I am so happy for her.  The salmon and asparagus looked amazingly real.

Kudos also for Summer's mac and cheese.   Baked beans looked great.  Chicken leg looked awful and totally unappetizing. 

• Love 6

I wasn't surprised to see Santiago leave but I was sorry because I liked him.  I was tickled that they showed us that he actually got a puppy.  That dog will bring him more happiness in the long run than winning the show.

• Love 9

Aww, Duffy! Such a cute dog and perfect name. Kind of reminded me of Miss Piggy's dog Foo Foo (that is a compliment)!

The visuals are always interesting, but I kind of wonder if some of the most realistic-looking dessert imposters are actually good. Like, the baked beans looked absolutely perfect, but would I really want to eat a cup of peanuts floating in caramel? I don't know.

• Love 4

Ellora FTW!  So well deserved, I was so happy for her.  Her dish came out great.  I love lime, so I'd have loved to try the salmon cake (sound so weird, heh).  She is just delightful. 

12 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I actually wasn't thrilled with the use of fruit by so many of the kids in their desserts. I get why they did it but it seems like an easy way out.

Yeah, I didn't love that, either. 

While I thought Summer's mac and cheese came out great, I didn't think her meat (ribs?) worked and was actually surprised she was in the top with Ellora. 

Farewell to Santiago and congrats to him on his super adorable puppy.

• Love 6

The noodles made from marzipan seemed like a lot. Isn’t marzipan almond paste? I am not sure how well that would have gone with the pudding if someone tried to eat a noodle and the cheese. They did look great and they are kids, which is why Duff and Valerie didn’t say anything.

It is also why they were thrilled that Ellora made cookies for her asparagus, her entire dessert was edible. 

• Love 4
On 2/1/2022 at 5:21 PM, JenMD said:

Ellora FTW!  So well deserved, I was so happy for her.  Her dish came out great.  I love lime, so I'd have loved to try the salmon cake (sound so weird, heh).  She is just delightful. 

Yeah, I didn't love that, either. 

While I thought Summer's mac and cheese came out great, I didn't think her meat (ribs?) worked and was actually surprised she was in the top with Ellora. 

Farewell to Santiago and congrats to him on his super adorable puppy.

I thought how it was great that Ellora's cake almost flaked from the fork like real salmon would. I didn't like Summer's beef ribs either. I thought they looked like meat loaf. What did anyone think of Nadya's/Sarah's steak? It seemed rather slopped together imo.

• Love 2
On 1/30/2022 at 1:35 PM, MagicEyes said:

I thought I made them with saltines, but the recipe I thought I used is made with graham crackers. It was a long time ago! It’s the same as Trisha’s recipe, but it also has 1/8 tsp salt added to the butter with the sugar, and 1/2 tsp vanilla, added with the nuts. I might need to try all of these recipes, for research purposes. 😋

Perhaps you will share your findings with us? To stay on topic, does anyone remember whether Saylor made them with saltines or graham crackers? I wonder how different each makes it.

3 hours ago, susannah said:

Perhaps you will share your findings with us? To stay on topic, does anyone remember whether Saylor made them with saltines or graham crackers? I wonder how different each makes it.

She used graham crackers, and her technique was different from the recipes I’ve seen. She melted the butter, mixed in the sugar, poured it over the graham crackers, added chopped pecans, and baked it. 

I just recalled that the other kids applauded when Ellora won the challenge, which I thought was great. I have seen lots of "good jobs" and similar praise when other kids have won, but I don't remember seeing that before. Great support!

• Love 7
4 hours ago, susannah said:

I just recalled that the other kids applauded when Ellora won the challenge, which I thought was great. I have seen lots of "good jobs" and similar praise when other kids have won, but I don't remember seeing that before. Great support!

If you were to tell me that everyone on this challenge wants Ellora to win the whole thing, I’d believe you. I think everyone just LOVES her! ☺️

• Love 9
On 2/5/2022 at 10:35 AM, HyeChaps said:

I will be so happy when the commercial for this program is no longer played incessantly throughout all the other programs on Food Network.

Interestingly, of the five kids featured, only Sarah is still on the show.  

• Useful 1