Type keyword(s) to search

The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value

• Start Topic

Very true.  the worst thing is that she must know how many mistakes she makes and yet she does not try to improve.  There are people who could train her.  If she is not aware of her inability that is even worse.  

• Applause 3

Keith Olbermann labels Joe Scarborough "Scumbag" for attacking John Fetterman's disability:

"SCUMBAG!"

And instead of looking at John Fetterman and saying, he’s still fighting it, but God damn it, his recovery is astonishing. Joe “Holier than thou” Scarborough. Joe “Quit Congress” Scarborough. Joe “Break up other people’s marriages” Scarborough, Joe “don’t ask Trump if he’s stoned or brain damage” Scarborough, Joe “my brain won’t let me be the same person three years in a row” Scarborough attacked Fetterman, attacked people who criticized him for attacking Fetterman, attacked the media who would not attack Fetterman, and then welcomed as a guest on his show, a man who used to literally pretend to have hearing and vision problems in order to get away with interrupting his guests, sabotaging his co-hosts, and making inappropriate remarks to women. Chris Matthews: Scumbag!

Joe Scarborough: Scumbag!

• Fire 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

The Twitter account for "Morning Joe" is registering the kind of dissatisfaction that has led me to stop watching these last few days.   Guess I wasn't imagining the less-than-subtle change in the tone of the show. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, millennium said:

Guess I wasn't imagining the less-than-subtle change in the tone of the show. 

Nope. Not your imagination. And not that subtle.

9 hours ago, millennium said:

Keith Olbermann labels Joe Scarborough "Scumbag" for attacking John Fetterman's disability:

"SCUMBAG!"

Joe “my brain won’t let me be the same person three years in a row” Scarborough

Lolz. Sometimes I really miss Olbermann.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, chick binewski said:

Lolz. Sometimes I really miss Olbermann.

Me too.   A shame he's damaged his reputation by going off on misguided rants now and then but I still enjoy his diatribes.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 5

I had only known Keith O from ESPN; he is the sole reason I started watching MSNBC. Sadly, he doesn’t get credit for bringing any young talent onboard - who have turned into major players on the network.

• Love 1
On 10/29/2022 at 8:39 AM, Kemper said:

I had only known Keith O from ESPN; he is the sole reason I started watching MSNBC. Sadly, he doesn’t get credit for bringing any young talent onboard - who have turned into major players on the network.

There would be no Rachel Maddow without Keith Olbermann.   I remember when I used to switch off the show on nights when she turned up as guest host -- I find her to be a colossal bore who thinks she matters more than she does.

• Sad 2
  • Applause 1
5 minutes ago, millennium said:

There would be no Rachel Maddow without Keith Olbermann.   I remember when I used to switch off the show on nights when she turned up as guest host -- I find her to be a colossal bore who thinks she matters more than she does.

I think Keith also introduced Chris Hayes to MSNBC audiences. 

The Twins shameless promotion of Chris Christie and Trump during the 2016 campaign; now inserting himself into another election. Has he asked Fetterman onto the show before jumping to conclusions about his health? Maybe he has and I missed it. 

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Kemper said:

The Twins shameless promotion of Chris Christie and Trump during the 2016 campaign; now inserting himself into another election. Has he asked Fetterman onto the show before jumping to conclusions about his health? Maybe he has and I missed it. 

I haven't even seen any positive stories about Fetterman, Warnock, Katie Hobbs, etc., let alone personal appearances -- just negative stories about Dr. Oz, Herschel Walker and Kari Lake.  Free P.R. for the latter group, even if the coverage is critical of them.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 2
On 11/1/2022 at 3:06 PM, millennium said:

There would be no Rachel Maddow without Keith Olbermann. 

Not true. Rachel was doing other stuff on MSNBC as a pundit before Keith gave her the chance to sit in for him when he took a night off.

On 11/1/2022 at 3:24 PM, Kemper said:

Pretty sure it was Lawrence ODonnell who gave Chris air time before he got a Saturday morning show for himself.

• Like 1

FFS the self-importance of this guy. Plenty of voters with a much lower income than Joe are weighing the "philosophical" question of how this country will hold on to democracy and will vote accordingly while also being concerned about crime and inflation. We weren't the ones who had a platform six years ago.

Argh. Going to rage order some Dunkin Donuts.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, shok said:

Not true. Rachel was doing other stuff on MSNBC as a pundit before Keith gave her the chance to sit in for him when he took a night off.

I would contend that a guest-hosting gig on MSNBC's hottest show at the time gave her career a lot of momentum that the other stuff didn't.  

Anyway, in addition to being a colossal bore, she's also an ingrate.  When she heard Keith was recently angling for a spot on the nights she was off on sabbatical or whatever, Maddow made it clear to MSNBC that she was against it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

For those of you who miss Keith Olbermann etc, he does have a podcast, if you don't know how to listen on your phone you can listen on your laptop thru podbean etc, here:

---> https://www.podbean.com/podcast-detail/db97a-276bf2/Countdown-with-Keith-Olbermann-Podcast

I know some of you guys don't like podcasts but for me podcasts in general are such a lifesaver, I listen while on the subway, walking, running, doing laundry, standing in line at the post office, for me this adds up to like 2-3 hours a day 😂

With the Olbermann podcast, I think he's incredibly talented and his political commentary is brilliant, but unfortunately he's also an asshole. He does a whole segment where he basically just talks shit about anyone he's ever met, idk how it's possible to live life like that. Is there no one he respects and admires? He has an obsession with Rachel that's wildly inappropriate, I mean who knows what actually happened but the public feuding and yelling is so off-putting. I don't blame her from wanting to distance herself from that aggressive drama. 

He also hates Joe and calls Morning Joe "a portal to hell". well then okay.

Having said that, again, he's actually incredibly talented. He's forceful and blunt in a way they aren't brave enough to be on teh tee-vee. It's so well-produced down to the details, everything is *chef's kiss*. Except for the dumb drama, but it's usually at the end so it's possible to skip it.

what do you guys think of this ----> https://nypost.com/2022/11/04/controversial-anchor-tiffany-cross-is-out-at-msnbc/

i loved her show, i'm gonna miss her Saturday! Morning! Energy. she said some crazy shit, but people like Joe say crazy shit every day. It feels really ominous and scary for anchors to be fired because of things they said, idk. 

ETA: oh, thanks to the twitterati, we now know what she actually said and the context in which she said it

In actual context, she was on a freakin COMEDY SHOW. Making a JOKE. I hope Mika's women's rights thingy movement can help her bc this is insane.

Edited by neona2
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, neona2 said:

I hope Mika's women's rights thingy movement can help her bc this is insane.

Neona, have you ever heard of Mika's women's rights thingy movement ever having helped anyone?  Anyone at all?

• Applause 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Neona, have you ever heard of Mika's women's rights thingy movement ever having helped anyone?  Anyone at all?

Meeka’s ego, in its own way, is just as inflated as Joe’s.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Edward Norton was on "The View" this morning and I had to do a double take when I saw him. If I didn't know who Ed was I would have thought he was Joe sans glasses actually appearing on a talk show without Meeka. It's not just me seeing the resemblance is it?

• Like 1

As of now, Kevin McCarthy does not have the votes to become Speaker of the House. A Speaker does not have to be a member of Congress.

Joe should throw his hat in the ring. He could be the savior of the party.

Edited by xaxat
  • LOL 4

As I clicked by all of the "news" channels this morning I caught a glimpse of half-dressed Mika. WTH was that turquoise shawl/sweater thing? Covered one arm and just draped over the other. And that mug with the lipstick covered rim. F for eFFort. What a mess.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I saw it, too. At first I thought she had on a bright sweater and just hadn’t put her arm through the other sleeve. She has worn sweaters and shawls lately that are pretty colors but scream “look at me” - maybe she has read our comments about her funereal, dowdy tops. And decided to go in a different direction. 😉

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Kemper said:

At first I thought she had on a bright sweater and just hadn’t put her arm through the other sleeve

Yeah. Nothing says "look at me" more than appearing on tv with your sweater half on. I mean, all the powerful, valuable journalists look that way. Right, Andrea, Katty, Kasie, Rachel, etc. etc.? What a weirdo she is.

• Applause 2

I did not see the getup yesterday it sounds like what the girls are doing in middle school. The girls put on a hoodie zip up to the midsection pull down the one shoulder and  their one breast is not covered by hooddie. Underneath is usually a sports bra or a mid length cami. Is this what Mika is using for fashion advice

image.png.2767781abb6c31be76fb2fb3f05aa6d8.png

Edited by jacourt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

You know, I kind of hate to criticize Meeka because that seems to be the only way I “talk” about her. But. 😏 She just seems so unaware of how she comes across on-air; or is it only this board that dumps on her? She mostly preens while Joe rants and steers the show.  In her own way, she dresses as inappropriately as the Fox News women.

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, Kemper said:

You know, I kind of hate to criticize Meeka because that seems to be the only way I “talk” about her.

Ha! Me too! But I don't even watch the show anymore. I click by to get to CNBC and MJ is usually on commercials! The last 2 mornings it's been live. And today she looked like she was wearing one of Joe's sportscoats! Is she punking her audience?!

2 hours ago, jacourt said:

it sounds like what the girls are doing in middle school.

Enlightening. Thanks for this. Like I said, Mika's a weirdo. I often think "stylists" are over-rated but in this case one would be helpful.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
On 1/11/2023 at 1:01 PM, Kemper said:

You know, I kind of hate to criticize Meeka because that seems to be the only way I “talk” about her. But. 😏 She just seems so unaware of how she comes across on-air; or is it only this board that dumps on her? 

This made me laugh bc, and I say this with love because I enjoy all of your snarky selves, but very often they literally intentionally troll you guys by doing the exact opposite of the comments on here. Or it's possibly twitter, or something, idk.

I kinda get it, or I understand the uhhh conceptual framework, but I’m sad when their trolling takes precedence over individual creativity and empowerment, bc those things are important.

With abysmal numbers of women panelists etc, women are constantly marginalized and made invisible across MSNBC so blurring the lines of identity and individuality with the self-effacing when you're already being sidelined kinda has the opposite of its intended effect #reclaimyourspace

*small voice* I'm kinda team shawls! a lil touch of regency!!

Since I had apparently come to the end of the internet, I decided to check in on KYV as I haven't heard much chatter about it lately. Were regular watchers aware of this drama?

https://www.msnbc.com/know-your-value/health-mindset/mika-brzezinski-what-i-learned-when-i-lost-my-hair-n1302335

I bet most of us of a certain age experienced this issue. I know I did but somehow, over the years, I had learned to expect it. (Thyroid dysfunction at the same time seemed to exacerbate it, too.) I'm sure she was grateful to have so many people involved in this change of life issue.

• Like 2

Plumbago B...thanks for posting this. Joan of Arc has nothing on our Meeka. (yes, the handbasket awaits)

I do sympathize with her; with any woman who struggles with hair loss. But she cannot help herself, she simply has to pat herself on the back and humble brag for Knowing Her Value.   Most every woman I know simply keeps going and deals; that is our value.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3

Those pictures of hair loss didn't show anything but lots of hair.  The story and the pictures don't align.
I skimmed the story.  Assistant cried.  Celebrity Dr. couldn't help.  55 yr old Mika is a jedi.  Then she wore Caroline Herrera and won the Ball Gala.  
An everywoman story.  She's the hero we need now.

She's looked great this week, scarves aside.  That woman can wear a turtleneck.  She's a dork and tiresome, but when it clicks, she's kinda very hot.

• Like 5

I do have to wonder if the hair loss (or some of it) was caused by the constant use of product...all the bleaches, highlighting, etc.  Those, plus the bright, hot lights of tv studios (yes, I know) must be really hard on hair/scalp.  But she perseveres.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

But she perseveres.

Ha! Didn't Chelsea or Hillary write a book with a similar title? Maybe they could add an update to include her harrowing hair journey. Riveting. The ironic thing about this whole situation is how this is such a big deal to her now, when a few years ago she made a pronouncement about her intent to go natural and face aging without the Botox and fillers, the bleach, the strict diet, etc. It must be hard to be so insecure.   

• Sad 1
  • Love 2

Mika and The Scarves is the theme of 2023 so far.  She knows the value of a closet full of wraps.  Both shoulders, one shoulder, both elbows, one elbow, neck, gone from the shot, now it's back and both shoulders.  
I wish Joe was as odd with his tie.  Around his forehead., undone, done, wrist, as a belt, over one shoulder, coiled on the table.

Mika with her arms crossed as she "discusses" music.  She is so cringeworthy when she fakes knowing about popular culture and offers nothing as a TV show host but feels compelled to comment.  Ugh.

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Lowcountry snark said:

Mika and The Scarves

Ha! I caught a glimpse and it looked like she had her bed sheet half covering one shoulder and one arm. I know they work from home but Come On! I hated the scarves of years ago...around her neck or just hanging there (in her Universalist minister days IIRC, right Oakville!?) instead of jewelry, but these long swaths of plain material look so ridiculous. I guess Joe didn't pick her up a colorful shawl during his day trip to Poland.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Last week I tuned to CNN and one of the morning hosts - I think her name is Poppy (very highlighted hair) was wearing a wowser of a dress.  What is it with these women continually upstaging their on-air partners (male and female) with questionable wardrobe choices. Meeka is a stealth master at it.  Kind of a Mother Theresa/Catholic School Girl/Real Housewife of Florida.

Edited by Kemper
technically challenged
  • Like 2

Did the Matron Saint of KYV not get the memo that today is Wear Red Day to bring attention to women's cardiac health? I know it's just a PR thing but she sure missed the opportunity to promote the cause. The women on the other 4 national morning shows I click by all had on their red and I caught each making mention of the initiative. Tone deaf, as always.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
On 1/27/2023 at 2:53 PM, Lowcountry snark said:

Those pictures of hair loss didn't show anything but lots of hair.  The story and the pictures don't align.
I skimmed the story.  Assistant cried.  Celebrity Dr. couldn't help.  55 yr old Mika is a jedi.  Then she wore Caroline Herrera and won the Ball Gala.  
An everywoman story.  She's the hero we need now.

This. I like Mika (kind of). But seriously? Hair loss for women really sucks. But she basically states in the article it was actually breakage. Does Mika not put it together that bleaching causes damage? Instead of the doctor she should have called Claire or Katty who have actual lowlights.

That being said I am impressed Mika cuts her own hair. I look like  crime victim when I try to cut mine.

Edited by chick binewski
  • Like 5
22 hours ago, chick binewski said:

This. I like Mika (kind of). But seriously? Hair loss for women really sucks. But she basically states in the article it was actually breakage. Does Mika not put it together that bleaching causes damage? Instead of the doctor she should have called Claire or Katty who have actual lowlights.

That being said I am impressed Mika cuts her own hair. I look like  crime victim when I try to cut mine.

I started cutting my own hair in the early days of COVID out of desperation, and I actually liked how it looked, so I’ve been cutting my own hair ever since. That said, there is no way I would cut my own hair if I appeared on TV. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I too give Mika kudos for cutting her own hair. I've done the same. However, it's so disingenuous for her to be moaning that she has visible bald spots that even concerned Joe (big surprise he's worried about how it makes him look that she's not perfect).

There are millions of women that actually have real hair issues ( medical or genetic) that cause them pain and embarrassment everyday. Some wear wigs. Some can't or choose not to. But they live in a reality of that no amount of laying off styling tools or hair coloring will ever bring their hair back.

Mika is tone deaf. If she doesn't get involved in women's issues that help to change everyday lives of average women (not the Housewives Of demographic she has chosen to champion) maybe she would learn something about the things that women struggle with everyday and learn something about herself.

• Like 1
  • Applause 4

I wonder what the back of Mika's head looks like because I can't tell if her hair is chopped off or just tucked under. 

Also, she needs to lay off so much eyeliner because she looks like a cat. 

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Like 2
  • LOL 3

Follow up to post today on Episode board.

This is what I was getting at when I posted about Mika's hair crisis. She has no real crisis in her life. Hair or otherwise.

Why doesn't she use "power and influence" to help women that really do need help. Who will never be climbing up the corporate ladder that they're already standing on.

The whole Mika is a mentor thing is so absurd.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Know Your Value is some nonsensical PR thing Mika dreamed up. Maybe Donny came up with the moniker 🤔 

It's absolutely pathetic that she's playing to and promoting it to women like herself.

Sorry to sound like a broken record but it irritates me to no end that people like her who could use their resources to help people that could really benefit are invisible to people like her. Mika lives for the admiration of people like herself.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 4

Here is somethingof interest. https://www.newscaststudio.com/2022/06/08/morning-joe-remote-studio-update/ I had no idea they'd moved from the breakfast nook at home to a set in Miami. Maybe it was talked about and I'm out of the loop!  

And another thing. I seem to pass by the show when it's on commercials. In the past I've seen ads for Nutrafol (I think that's the name), a hair growth product, and today it was Bosley Hair Restoration. This is so ironic to me since Mika made such a fuss about her "hair loss" and how much stress it caused, when 2 of her sponsors promote services to help the problem; each saying how common the condition is! She acted like the world was ending and she was some kind of victim when in fact hair issues are so widespread and mainstream, remedies are promoted on her own show!! (No celebrity doctor's opinions needed!) Kind of wild in retrospect.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 1/28/2023 at 4:53 PM, Kemper said:

Was the title something like "Yet She Persisted" ....or am I thinking of something else?

I’m just reading other MJ threads. It is and Elizabeth Warren. The story behind it is amazing, I adore Elizabeth Warren! I have “Nevertheless, she persisted” on a ring 😂

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevertheless,_she_persisted

On 1/28/2023 at 4:53 PM, Kemper said:

Was the title something like "Yet She Persisted" ....or am I thinking of something else?

• Love 1
On 1/12/2022 at 3:32 PM, oakville said:

Do you have a link to Mika's new list of 50 over 50 ?

Oh Oakville. Hello from the future where you’ll be so sick of this…

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

I've been distracted with a lot of life stuff lately and totally forgot to ask about the Don Lemon "women past their prime" remark. How did Mika and Joe respond to that, or did they mention it all? I'd think with all the KYV hype and chatter it would have been a double whammy for them...to promote her project and slam the competition at the same time. Forgive me if I missed a discussion of this but it just seemed that it would be a perfect intro for Mika to prove him wrong.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Did I read that John Kasick is now a regular MSNBC contributor? And Adam Kinsinger is now a CNN contributor - which does not surprise me.  Joe had him on a few times, I think. He is younger than Joe, has gravitas in many circles, and left office as a politician who had courage and stood up when others would not. Joe might not have wanted the contrast. And Joe carries a lot of weight with the network. How else can you interpret four hours?

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
28 minutes ago, Lowcountry snark said:

What was Mika wearing this morning?  A romper?  A jacket like The Fonz?  A shirt?

It was this large black jacket/shawl thing. With white sleeves hanging down a bit from under it. “under/down” … 😻