Type keyword(s) to search

The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value

• Start Topic

Let me ask us this.  Doesn't Meeka have an Instagram account and doesn't she post there?  Isn't she currently on a Facebook hate tour?  Doesn't Facebook also have Instragram in it's wheelhouse?  Or am I getting all the social platforms mixed up...I don't have a Twitter, Instragram or Tic Toc account.  Do other news people (I kid!) or "news personalities" post a lot of pictures of their friends/social life? 

I am so sorry...I think I may be the guilty party who posted something that I shouldn't have posted.  Mods...again, I am sorry.  Sometimes my fingers get ahead of my brain.

• Love 1

Visiting a friend this weekend so I had a kinda long journey to get there and had actual time to catch up on some of Joe's podcasts, among other things

I had a lot of thoughts about it but tbh I'm so f-ing bad at actually calibrating what's interesting to other humans, so if reviewing this thing is pointless and boring, let me know 🥴

Anyhoo --

It's still called "The Joe Scarborough Podcast" and that's still a terrible title, basically the equivalent of saying in the 90s "Please visit my Internet Web Site Page, on the Computer Machine" or naming your kids "Child 1" and "Child 2". Dude. If it's gonna be a thing, give it a real name. 

Episode 4 - was pretty bland but vaguely interesting, featuring Vorsicht! Kurt! and a discussion about facebook. Also a surprising amount of cursing, not that I'm one to judge, but yikes. 

Episode 5 - I skipped, because it was Joe, Barnicle and Lemire and all about baseball and I literally have no clue

Episode 6 - Joe read out a letter to a Trump supporter friend - and this actually wasn't as bad as it sounds, because it captured some of the heartache and misunderstandings and awkwardness of having friends and family who don't understand you. In that sense it was kinda poignant. But then after he finished reading the letter, he got rambly and kept unnecessarily rambling for a long-ass time. Joe is basically the master of making a valid point, and then hammering it home to the point that the people he originally convinced end up resenting him because they just wanna go home and sleep.

But then, then Mika came on!!! She was feeling sick because she'd accidentally overdosed on antibiotics -- okay, that sounds dangerous?? why tf does she not have one of those medicine boxes w slots for days of the week to avoid such accidents?

At this point things got pretty hilarious because I'm pretty sure Joe had either been drinking or dipped into High-lemann's stash. It was awesome. He was all over the place, but also, made me laugh out loud. Joe and Mika were basically talking like they used to do on the old MJ before they decided to make everything weird and pretend to sit in different rooms and all that.

also Joe's voice in the ep was muchly improved, less used car salesman and more peaceful gravelly Barry White, it was very calming.

Episode 7 - Had Bill Maher! on it. Unpopular opinion, but I like Bill Maher. Altho I always feel like he's yelling at me to get off his lawn. I'm not on your lawn, Bill. I resent that he defines my entire generation by the crazy shit he sees on twitter, but also I like his show because he actually gets his guests to be honest and engage in a meaningful way. Anyhoo, this podcast episode was pretty short, and much much time was wasted on the introduction, which went like this:

Joe: Welcome, Bill! You're pretty

Bill: No, you're pretty

Joe: No, you're pretty

Bill: No, *you're* pretty

etc  

Episode 8 and Episode 9 - was mainly shouty Cicero stuff, idk I didn't make it all the way through. Idk who that stuff is for exactly, because anyone who's watched the show will already have heard it

Episode 10 - had our High-lemann on it, and okay, hi, hello -- this was something. This, *this* was thoughtful, this was interesting. High-lemann and Joe got into a surprisingly nuanced and interesting and philosophical conversation about the nature of creativity, the source of musical inspiration, and how talent vs ambition translates into commercial success. Including anecdotes about the Beatles, and Madonna in NYC from the 80s and and and....wtf why can't we have *this* Joe and *this* High-lemann on the actual tee-vee, because this shit was actually interesting. 

Edited by neona2
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, millennium said:

I always think of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Welcome back Millenium ! I have always enjoyed your contributions to this forum. In fact, you have the honor of having the most "liked" post on this forum when you posted about Mika & Joe's wedding on November 26, 2018.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Welcome back Millenium ! I have always enjoyed your contributions to this forum. In fact, you have the honor of having the most "liked" post on this forum when you posted about Mika & Joe's wedding on November 26, 2018.

Thanks, Oakville.   I just noticed that myself today.  I went into lurk mode for two years but I was here all the while, reading.   If they had an honorific for "most indefatigable poster" in the Morning Joe forum, you would have it clinched.

• Love 4

Has a date been set for Meeka’s show on Peacock? Because….yesterday I saw a commercial for a new reality show on the network starring - Paris Hilton! None of us will ever forget Mika (before she became Meeka) stalking dramatically off the set when refusing to discuss Ms. Hilton. Sporting her sleeveless sheath and stilettos. Such good times.  I wonder if Meeka will now refuse to do whatever show she was signed to do out of protest. 🤓

The snippets I have seen of the reality show look terrible (it is about her upcoming wedding); and not in a fun way. No one could be as vacuous as Ms. Hilton…no one. It has to be an act and she is laughing all the way to the bank.

• Love 1
On 11/6/2021 at 10:07 AM, Kemper said:

Has a date been set for Meeka’s show on Peacock? Because….yesterday I saw a commercial for a new reality show on the network starring - Paris Hilton! None of us will ever forget Mika (before she became Meeka) stalking dramatically off the set when refusing to discuss Ms. Hilton. Sporting her sleeveless sheath and stilettos. Such good times.  I wonder if Meeka will now refuse to do whatever show she was signed to do out of protest. 🤓

The snippets I have seen of the reality show look terrible (it is about her upcoming wedding); and not in a fun way. No one could be as vacuous as Ms. Hilton…no one. It has to be an act and she is laughing all the way to the bank.

Mika should realize that Paris Hilton`s mom is a "Friend "  on Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.

On 11/6/2021 at 10:07 AM, Kemper said:

On 11/8/2021 at 3:54 PM, oakville said:

Mika should realize that Paris Hilton`s mom is a "Friend "  on Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.

Ok I really love this especially since I am not here for the re-branding of Paris. She's still terrible.

Unfortunately this doesnt carry as much weight since MJ supported a reality show president. Also, what did they do to Mika? She used to be able to read the news! With proper inflections!

• Love 1

I thought Mika’s inability to read a Teleprompter was bad….But then this morning I heard Andrea Mitchell refer to the strategic petroleum reserves as an “underground suppository” of oil.

• LOL 3

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/msnbc-peacock-mika-brzezinski-michael-beschloss-nicolle-wallace-1234981858/

"Among the shows in development is Morning Mika, a news and commentary program hosted by Morning Joe co-host Mika Brzezinski. That program, which plays off of the name of the MSNBC morning show, will debut later this year."
Oh dear.  It's November 29.
https://www.peacocktv.com/stream/news/the-choice-msnbc No sign of new content.

Peacock's only redeeming value is the Premier League and the 3rd Psych movie.  Do not watch "Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol." 

• Love 1

Is this blurb the original one?  The mind...she reels at the thought of this born-on-third-base dilettante getting her own show.  Thanks to marrying her boss.  Just think if I had stuck with my original 15-year-old self's plan to marry Paul McCartney.  My own Hallmark movie!

I do wonder what is going on with Peacock's streaming plans for some of the MSNBC news personnel.  How thin do these people want to spread themselves?  Nicole Wallace already does a 2-hour daily show.  Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol? Does this star Tom Hanks?  Who was already too old to play the starring character when the first one was filmed. But I love Psych! And thankfully, ESPN took hockey back; if it had stayed on NBC, it would probably have been shoved onto Peacock, their streaming service.

• Love 2

Didn't they announce this months ago? How long does it take to put a show together? I'd think that someone would have fleshed out a plan prior to the announcement. Not like the waiting is killing me, though...I don't even watch her on MJ anymore and no way do I need Peacock in my life.

• Love 1
On 11/29/2021 at 7:54 AM, Lowcountry snark said:

Peacock's only redeeming value is the Premier League and the 3rd Psych movie.  Do not watch "Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol." 

I get Peacock free with my cable, and yet I never, ever am tempted to go there.  I can't imagine on what planet someone's going to choose to navigate to Peacock to find a show all about Mika and her value and her cake.

• Love 3

some tea....

https://puck.news/will-msnbc-pay-scarborough-31-million/

Buuuut paywalled half way down, if anyone can access the rest plz share.

Hilariously, the article says Joe asked for $30 million plus 1 dollar....buuut the headline says he asked for $31 million...ummmm.....that's....not the same, Dylan Byers 🥴

I hope the $30 plus $1 just for the sake of ego detail isn't true, because it would be the douchiest thing in the history of douchery. I mean in that case asking for $40 million would actually be more respectable and less douchey. Idk, I like Joe and Mika, I adore Rachel, if there's a rivalry thingy I'd rather they didn't make it so weird and public...

I watched Brian Williams's last broadcast, it was so sad!!! I'll miss him, and I didn't even like him at first bc I was so mad he would always swoop in and take over for Rachel and Nicolle etc and in context I thought that was a bit sexist, BUT after that I really grew to appreciate him in his own timeslot, mainly bc of his hilarious subtle shade and his thoroughly flawless professionalism. So I'm gonna miss him. And his good night everyone and the music and everything at the end was actually super calming for insomniacs, heh. 

I'm insulted by how that article was like, "in lieu of any better option, the best available plan is to groom Nicolle Wallace for primetime" ----> wtf wtf wtf do they mean "in lieu of a better option", that would literally be the most awesome thing ever.

Post-lockdown I have to DVR Nicolle bc she's on while I'm at work. Most days I don't even have time to watch it. 😭 Pretty sure she'd knock it out of the park if given a chance in primetime, just saying. The only reason why maybe I wouldn't want it is that at 4 p.m. she still sometimes gets in person human guests, and she is so good at in-person discussions, especially with our boy High-lemann, whereas the evening MSNBC people have basically resigned themselves to the dull-ass life-draining covid boxes for ever and ever and all eternity, siiiiigh

but man oh man. $30 million and $1 could literally buy 30 Kasies, and a pretzel for Kasie to eat. well, probably more like half a pretzel. But still. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Neona …thank you for posting Joe’s possible salary bonanza; and I actually do not blame him for asking for this amount. I blame the networks for caving to this kind of ego-driven demand; and the fact that - as I have stated before - almost anyone they put in the timeslot would probably match Joe’s numbers. I don’t want to put Rachel M in this category because she is great at what she does, gets ratings, and deserves it more than Twin.  But again, it goes to the desperation of the network that it shells out this kind of money for talent. If Joe would bail and go to another network I doubt it would make that much difference. Rachel is maybe a different story; but all of this makes me wonder at the timing of Brian W’s exit. Could it have been all about the money.

I hate to be petty (but hey, let’s be petty) but I would not mind seeing the network crash and burn when the dust settles. Not long-term, but see another network that is not paying out that kind of $$$$ surplus, or at least, make a horse race of the ratings. Sadly, it looks like we will not see any new/fresh pundit/hosting faces.

Edited by Kemper
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, neona2 said:

some tea....

https://puck.news/will-msnbc-pay-scarborough-31-million/

Buuuut paywalled half way down, if anyone can access the rest plz share.

Hilariously, the article says Joe asked for $30 million plus 1 dollar....buuut the headline says he asked for $31 million...ummmm.....that's....not the same, Dylan Byers 🥴

I hope the $30 plus $1 just for the sake of ego detail isn't true, because it would be the douchiest thing in the history of douchery. I mean in that case asking for $40 million would actually be more respectable and less douchey. Idk, I like Joe and Mika, I adore Rachel, if there's a rivalry thingy I'd rather they didn't make it so weird and public...

I watched Brian Williams's last broadcast, it was so sad!!! I'll miss him, and I didn't even like him at first bc I was so mad he would always swoop in and take over for Rachel and Nicolle etc and in context I thought that was a bit sexist, BUT after that I really grew to appreciate him in his own timeslot, mainly bc of his hilarious subtle shade and his thoroughly flawless professionalism. So I'm gonna miss him. And his good night everyone and the music and everything at the end was actually super calming for insomniacs, heh. 

I'm insulted by how that article was like, "in lieu of any better option, the best available plan is to groom Nicolle Wallace for primetime" ----> wtf wtf wtf do they mean "in lieu of a better option", that would literally be the most awesome thing ever.

Post-lockdown I have to DVR Nicolle bc she's on while I'm at work. Most days I don't even have time to watch it. 😭 Pretty sure she'd knock it out of the park if given a chance in primetime, just saying. The only reason why maybe I wouldn't want it is that at 4 p.m. she still sometimes gets in person human guests, and she is so good at in-person discussions, especially with our boy High-lemann, whereas the evening MSNBC people have basically resigned themselves to the dull-ass life-draining covid boxes for ever and ever and all eternity, siiiiigh

but man oh man. $30 million and $1 could literally buy 30 Kasies, and a pretzel for Kasie to eat. well, probably more like half a pretzel. But still. 

Thanks for the update Neona2. The network would be foolish to double Mika & Joe's salary given that ratings have collapsed to 750K daily viewers.

I believe that the network would benefit from having less ideological hosts & focusing on non political issues.

I would offer Willie Geist more money since he has proven that he can host an excellent Sunday Today show.

Willie does excellent & informative interviews with a wide range of celebrities & politicians.

Mika can barely read a TelePrompter without errors & Joe is a blowhard who can't offer any constructive criticism of the current administration.

If I was in charge of MSNBC I would call Mika & Joe's bluff.

What other networks would hire them ?

Joe is frequently mocked by conservative media.  I doubt he is popular with progressive democrats since he criticizes them on a regular basis.

Joe can't offer any fresh insights into Congress action since he quit in 2001.

Mika provides no value to the show & makes it difficult for me to recap given her struggles with reading the TelePrompter & contributing any opinions on topics other than moaning or crying while reading the news.

IMHO, the show was successful when they invited people on the show with various political opinions & did  segments on education, innovative companies, entertainment  etc.

I loved the shows where they did town halls in various cities across America.

The only way I could see them being offered a new contract is if Donald Trump announces that he is running for President in 2024.

It would be a waste of money for a network to refuse to pay Kaisie Hunt $1.5M, yet give Mika & Joe $15M each.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

Neona …thank you for posting Joe’s possible salary bonanza; and I actually do not blame him for asking for this amount. I blame the networks for caving to this kind of ego-driven demand; and the fact that - as I have stated before - almost anyone they put in the timeslot would probably match Joe’s numbers. I don’t want to put Rachel M in this category because she is great at what she does, gets ratings, and deserves it more than Twin.  But again, it goes to the desperation of the network that it shells out this kind of money for talent. If Joe would bail and go to another network I doubt it would make that much difference. Rachel is maybe a different story; but all of this makes me wonder at the timing of Brian W’s exit. Could it have been all about the money.

I hate to be petty (but hey, let’s be petty) but I would not mind seeing the network crash and burn when the dust settles. Not long-term, but see another network that is not paying out that kind of $$$$ surpass, or at least, make a horse race of the ratings. Sadly, it looks like we will not see any new/fresh pundit/hosting faces.

Mika & Joe vs Trump was the peak ratings for the show. IIRC , the network was happy that they were on good terms with Trump after the election in 2016 & did several promotions with Joe being an insider during the transition. The network even hired Gretchen Carlson to host a show to try & attract Trump voters.

President Trump's attacks on Mika's plastic surgery & accusing Joe of murdering his aide allowed them to gain followers outside of traditional MSNBC viewers.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, oakville said:

It would be a waste of money for a network to refuse to pay Kaisie Hunt $1.5M, yet give Mika & Joe $15M each.

i don't think it was $15M each, they didn't say anything about Mika (altho parts of the article was paywalled, and there were some previous articles about them both meeting with Cesar Conde and Rashida Jones, i think). I thought maybe i had misread it, but here is the same thing repeated in Politico:

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2021/11/20/rittenhouse-verdict-pushes-bbb-out-of-the-headlines-495177

if you scroll down about halfway, it says (quote):

"-- JOE SCARBOROUGH is negotiating a new contract and reportedly wants more than RACHEL MADDOW: "$30 million plus $1 - in part because he wants to be the highest paid talent on MSNBC" reports Puck's Dylan Byers"

i don't really blame them for asking for more money, but the plus $1 dollar thingy sounds so nuts I can't believe it's true. Again, it would be way less douchey if he was asking a million more or ten million more. yikes.  

well on the bright side, with more money maybe we'll get better shows bc maybe they will come to the studio more bc they can pay to make it easier to travel, etc. Hannity has a private jet, heh

Edited by neona2
1 hour ago, neona2 said:

i don't think it was $15M each, they didn't say anything about Mika (altho parts of the article was paywalled, and there were some previous articles about them both meeting with Cesar Conde and Rashida Jones, i think). I thought maybe i had misread it, but here is the same thing repeated in Politico:

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2021/11/20/rittenhouse-verdict-pushes-bbb-out-of-the-headlines-495177

if you scroll down about halfway, it says (quote):

"-- JOE SCARBOROUGH is negotiating a new contract and reportedly wants more than RACHEL MADDOW: "$30 million plus $1 - in part because he wants to be the highest paid talent on MSNBC" reports Puck's Dylan Byers"

i don't really blame them for asking for more money, but the plus $1 dollar thingy sounds so nuts I can't believe it's true. Again, it would be way less douchey if he was asking a million more or ten million more. yikes.  

well on the bright side, with more money maybe we'll get better shows bc maybe they will come to the studio more bc they can pay to make it easier to travel, etc. Hannity has a private jet, heh

I assume that Joe wants $30m for him & Mika. It would be hilarious if Joe received $30M & let Mika negotiate her own contract. Mika 's current salary can't be justified.

He wants to be the highest paid cable host despite having less than half of Maddow's ratings. I am not sure about advertising rates , but they could be higher for the prime time shows per viewer than daytime.

• Love 2

Where to start.  I know that no other network will top Fox in the ratings; but oddly CNN tops MSNBC sometimes in the demos; and they don't make "news" with the salary demands and drama of their hosts.  

Still. The $1.00 part is SO Joe.  MJ could lose Meeka and most would never notice. But I will admit to having a grudging admiration for Joe's nerve.  And he will probably get everything he asks for.  

Neona ... you are a true detective "uncovering" this juicy story.  However - I doubt that anything, be it more money, extra perks, etc., would get The Twins out of Florida or into an actual studio for everyday broadcasting.  When the on-air talent rules/runs the network, any network, it is time for them to go.  As Mr. Kemper used to say - They Have Gotten Above Their Raising.  Joe is surely no Walter Cronkite.  Or Brian Williams. 

Oh!!! Oakville! Thank you for wondering if the the salary demand possibly includes Meeka.  How can Ms. Know Your Value show her face and preach for women standing up for themselves.  She would never make it on any other network alone.  And will always be Meeka instead of Mika.  

• Love 4

The latest ratings show Morning Joe  getting 88k in the key demographic vs 260K for Rachel Maddow.

Total ratings for Rachel Maddow are 1.981M vs 815K for Morning Joe.

https://ctv.kwayisi.org/networks/msnbc/the-rachel-maddow-show/

https://ctv.kwayisi.org/networks/msnbc/morning-joe/

I don't see how Joe could argue that he is worth $30m per year  when he gets 33 % of Rachel's ratings in the key demographic & 41% of Rachel's total ratings.

• Love 2

I'm not sure if I understood the new arrangement correctly but they're not paying Rachel $30 million to do the show she's doing right now (which is amazing and I will miss soooo much), i think they're paying her that for a new and really really reduced role with shows about once a week? *cries* but that does kinda shift the parameters a little

idk, it all seems too much, for all of them, across the board. yikes. like all the drama is taking place on a financial scale that's just weird to imagine. 🥴

i know it's just me, but no way I'd watch this show if it was just Joe. I love Mika & Willie. If it was just joe, it would be like every day for breakfast you were served a raw steak, no sides, no condiments, no nothing, and you'd definitely get your protein buuuut eventually you'd die from scurvy. Mika & Willie are the wine and vegetables and potatoes. ymmv of course 

• Useful 1
3 minutes ago, neona2 said:

I'm not sure if I understood the new arrangement correctly but they're not paying Rachel $30 million to do the show she's doing right now (which is amazing and I will miss soooo much), i think they're paying her that for a new and really really reduced role with shows about once a week? *cries* but that does kinda shift the parameters a little

idk, it all seems too much, for all of them, across the board. yikes. like all the drama is taking place on a financial scale that's just weird to imagine. 🥴

i know it's just me, but no way I'd watch this show if it was just Joe. I love Mika & Willie. If it was just joe, it would be like every day for breakfast you were served a raw steak, no sides, no condiments, no nothing, and you'd definitely get your protein buuuut eventually you'd die from scurvy. Mika & Willie are the wine and vegetables and potatoes. ymmv of course 

I agree that letting Joe be the sole host of the show would be horrible. However, I can't see the network caving into his demands. Where else would Joe go ?

Several years ago, Chris Licht , the former EP of MJ encouraged Joe to join the CBS Morning show, but the network wouldn't let him on the show if he brought Mika with him.

Joe ended up staying on MSNBC so he could keep Mika employed.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

Mika gets the aforementioned dollar. Which is actually too high for what she contributes.

Oooh.  Burn! But so true. 

I personally think Joe would thrive on Fox; he would be "the rebel" .... the go-his-own-way guy.  HIs ego would go off the charts.  

• Love 1

I think Joe would be best paired with a co-host who isn't Mika. She is just too weak to be useful in a hosting capacity and is partially to blame for Joe's take no prisoners bloviation. He needs an equitable partner who can either spar with him or support his viewpoints while keeping him down to a dull roar by offering his/her own insight into the discussion. Mika is just a prop. (Didn't the CBS thing register with them?) She is a drag on the show's energy.  Their chumminess takes away from the seriousness of the show. I just can't stomach the dynamic. I agree that the salary figures being bantered about are outrageous for the quality they provide. The desired demo seems to be tuning in less and less and really, can mesothelioma lawyers and Liberty Mutual ads provide that much revenue? What's happening with the Peacock thing? Has Mika ever talked about it or do you guys know about it from the press release last summer?

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, plumbago blues said:

I think Joe would be best paired with a co-host who isn't Mika. She is just too weak to be useful in a hosting capacity and is partially to blame for Joe's take no prisoners bloviation. He needs an equitable partner who can either spar with him or support his viewpoints while keeping him down to a dull roar by offering his/her own insight into the discussion. Mika is just a prop. (Didn't the CBS thing register with them?) She is a drag on the show's energy.  Their chumminess takes away from the seriousness of the show. I just can't stomach the dynamic. I agree that the salary figures being bantered about are outrageous for the quality they provide. The desired demo seems to be tuning in less and less and really, can mesothelioma lawyers and Liberty Mutual ads provide that much revenue? What's happening with the Peacock thing? Has Mika ever talked about it or do you guys know about it from the press release last summer?

I remember reading that Mika appeared on the Today Show as a guest host in the 3rd hour during the early days of Morning Joe. Her Q or likeability rating by viewers was very low , so she was dropped from the show.

I doubt the current advertising revenue would justify paying Mika & Joe $30m.

I remember when she freaked out on the show when someone on the panel suggested that Joe could run for political office in Florida. Joe would have to quit the show due to electoral laws that prohibit candidates from hosting tv shows.

• Love 2

Pretty hilarious, really.  Joe asking for his salary to double and be $1 more than Rachel Maddow despite having a smaller audience and an immeasurably weaker product is THE VERY REASON KYV RESONATES.   He is the figurative bad actor/bogeyman/stereotype/trope that KYV is designed to combat, and he is literally wielding baseless male bravado to trump business ethics.
Mika's a turd.
Joe Scarborough is not a special TV talent.  He's eminently replaceable.  Susanna Reid from ITV's Good Morning Britain would chew him up and spit him out.  She'd flick him aside with an economy of words and zero effort.  She makes MPs sweat regularly, to their faces in studio.  Mika would hide from her.
There is a universe of options to replace these two and improve revenue and the quality of the show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Lowcountry snark said:

Pretty hilarious, really.  Joe asking for his salary to double and be $1 more than Rachel Maddow despite having a smaller audience and an immeasurably weaker product is THE VERY REASON KYV RESONATES.   He is the figurative bad actor/bogeyman/stereotype/trope that KYV is designed to combat, and he is literally wielding baseless male bravado to trump business ethics.
Mika's a turd.

Excellent, Lowcountry Snark! You are so right. More evidence that Mika's little project is a sham; they both seem oblivious to the "tenets" of her "movement" (Oh, Lord how I hate her calling it that) by their behavior and it is obvious that her own husband doesn't give a crap about her thing. Bonus points for the last sentence highlighted above!

So now Chris Wallace is available...any ideas on where he might end up? The grass at Fox might be looking a little greener for Joe??!

• Love 3

re: the newly open timeslots, ummm tbh I think we all know what the lineup is gonna be:

9 p.m. Jonathan Lemire in a woman's wig

11 p.m. Jonathan Lemire with a fake moustache

5 a.m. Jonathan Lemire, in a fetal position, weeping with exhaustion

6 a.m. Jonathan Lemire, hooked up to a saline IV

7 a.m. Jonathan Lemire, in a coma, astral projecting

etc

Edited by neona2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

Oakville - you posted the Twitter picture of Meeka wearing her robe and the Obi Wan reference below it.   I don't have Twitter but I clicked on the pic and was sent to what looked like maybe Meeka's Twitter page.  She actually has "fangirls" or some such that gush over that blasted robe.  And I am guessing they gush over her, period.  No wonder she is so full of herself. Are we so out of touch on this Board? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Kemper said:

Oakville - you posted the Twitter picture of Meeka wearing her robe and the Obi Wan reference below it.   I don't have Twitter but I clicked on the pic and was sent to what looked like maybe Meeka's Twitter page.  She actually has "fangirls" or some such that gush over that blasted robe.  And I am guessing they gush over her, period.  No wonder she is so full of herself. Are we so out of touch on this Board? 

My college aged  daughter liked her robe. I have noticed that my daughter dresses more casually than teens 10 -15 years ago.  She occasionally steals my sweatshirts. The pandemic ha hurt fashion.

I don't see anyone else on cable news wearing bathrobes. The ladies on CNBC are always nicely dressed.

Mika believes her place on the show is secure so she doesn't have to bother to dress like a professional or read the TelePrompter correctly.

It was embarrassing that she couldn't remember how to pronounce Ayman's last name correctly. he will be in for a rude awakening if Joe's contract isn't renewed.

Mika should realize that CBS didn't want her for the morning show when they offered Joe a job. Chris Licht was the EP & knew Mika so its a pretty bad sign when Chris couldn't force CBS to take back Mika.

Luckily for her, Joe agreed to stay with MSNBC.

Mika has regressed as a broadcaster since then, so at best she might get a job on the Home Shopping Network.

Edited by oakville
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, oakville said:

Mika has regressed as a broadcaster since then, so at best she might get a job on the Home Shopping Network.

Yeah, but from what I've seen that host job requires talking at length and with authority about the product, especially now that on-air reps are off-site and often on delayed feeds. Plus they have to look fairly put together, including from the waist down. 

• Love 3

I can still see her messy hair when interviewing Jill Biden; well, one side was messy.

Yesterday I saw some ladies, up close, maybe between maybe 55-65; they were attending a luncheon. All were really casually well-dressed - sweaters and slacks. This group was well-heeled - makeup and hair perfect, purses, shoes, expensive, etc. One of them had on a bathrobe sweater. But she had on chunky jewelry…great earrings, necklace, etc. She had obviously put this look together with care. That is how you are supposed to do it. I guess.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Lowcountry snark said:

Wow - lots to unpack here.  The essay she wrote about her fashion choices was all me, me, me, me.  A “Milly” sheath dress. The rest of us wimmin’ folk go to the store (any store including Target and Walmart) and buy a plain black dress or sheath. She reeks of ego, privilege, and self-absorption.  I can’t even. 

The other blog or whatever it was from “Wordpress.com” is spot on - those of us who are familiar with the old “slap and tickle days”, the inability to read a teleprompter, the professional laziness, etc. can get a chuckle. But it is kind of “mean girl” in a way that will make Meeka into a heroine, her fan girls defend her, and maybe fodder for her new book. And there will be one.

• Love 2

2 hours ago, oakville said:

Mika could have been the inspiration for a character on a Netflix movie ! The actress looks & talks like Mika !

The thought crossed my mind as I watched the movie, then the character mentioned that she had two masters degrees and I thought, nope definitely not Mika.

If you are a woman at the top of her profession like Mika or Rachel, having a uniform look is something you can get away with. But that is horrible advice for young women she professes to be mentoring. 

It's unfortunate, but most women in front of the camera are judged by appearance, including wardrobe. You try that as a local anchor/weather person and it will have a negative effect on your career.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, xaxat said:

The thought crossed my mind as I watched the movie, then the character mentioned that she had two masters degrees and I thought, nope definitely not Mika.

If you are a woman at the top of her profession like Mika or Rachel, having a uniform look is something you can get away with. But that is horrible advice for young women she professes to be mentoring. 

It's unfortunate, but most women in front of the camera are judged by appearance, including wardrobe. You try that as a local anchor/weather person and it will have a negative effect on your career.

Mika wrote in her first book that she had to spend a lot of money on getting a new wardrobe when she started on Morning Joe. The network did not provide a clothing allowance which I found surprising. In Canada, many broadcasters do get a clothing allowance or get a clothing brand to provide free clothes to the staff. There is usually an acknowledgement at the end of the show that clothing is provided by the brand.

Mika is now one of the most poorly dressed broadcasters on cable news.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, oakville said:

Mika is now one of the most poorly dressed broadcasters on cable news.

"One of?"  Who else wears a yoga jacket and mom jeans to host a political chat show???  Mika is fit, beautiful, aware, and resourceful.  Yet she chooses to dress like she's an exhausted, over-committed housewife.  Dressed in a multi-use outfit appropriate for carpools, appointments, tennis, lunch w/friends, and errands.  Not as if she's the host of a major television show.
And she's not "winning" by consciously selecting repeatable comfort over style.  She diminishes herself by wearing her obi wan bathrobi.  Imagine if Joe came in one morning wearing a hemp poncho and sunglasses and board shorts, then wrote a Know Your Value young bros, dress for you.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Lowcountry snark said:

Mika is fit, beautiful, aware, and resourceful.

FIFY.

The rest is spot on. By trying to look like she/they don't care how they look just makes ME not care about them at all. Part of any job is looking like you are prepared and up to it.

• Love 3