Type keyword(s) to search

The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value

• Start Topic

Did any of you catch either of these appearances?

They were both scheduled on Friday night so I was out (carefully, masked, outdoors,) with friends, buuuuut I'd appreciate recaps or clips if anyone has them...?

But my main question is why the fuck would Joe and Mika schedule competing events at the *exact same time*, so people had to choose between them, whaaa...?

I find it so insane they don't realize that most viewers consider them a team...this new 2020 physical split-up thing is just nuts, it never stops being nuts... 

altho I have to say I  really respect both Eddie Glaude *and* Katty Kay, both of whom have unique perspectives...but why are they both on, competing against each other, on a quiet Friday night...? they both deserve better timeslots and equal respect to present their respective perspective and academic work imo...

Did anyone watch Mika's Instagram live thing with Katty a few days ago? Talks about women (of course) who may have lost their confidence during the pandemic...maybe somewhat afraid to venture back to the work place again now that they are so comfortable working at home. She admitted that has lost hers...kind of prefers just hanging out in sweats. Lots to interpret there: Are they contemplating (or being forced to) a return to a real studio? Do we think she ever really had any confidence? Is this why she messes up reading all her copy and is tongue tied and  is unable to ask questions or comment intelligently and insightfully? I'm so over her concept of women's weakness and fragility in all matters. Again, she projects her failings on others. She tries so hard on her videos to be "normal" but seems so fake...like making a big deal about drinking wine and showing off her cats; comes across as forced and unnatural.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, plumbago blues said:

Again, she projects her failings on others. She tries so hard on her videos to be "normal" but seems so fake...like making a big deal about drinking wine and showing off her cats; comes across as forced and unnatural.  

Plumbago Blues, you have hit the nail on the head.  She really does try to be relatable, normal; and I give her props for trying.  But whatever the reason it is just not in her makeup.  We could speculate on the reasons, but who really knows; she could maybe benefit from therapy. Her career choice makes her insecurities worse; and others pick up on it.  Didn’t one of the networks do some sort of survey years ago and Meeka had an unfavorably rating? You have put your finger on the reasons.  

Plumbago Blues ... you are so right!  😉

• Love 3

Maybe Meeka could get a job on The Talk; there may be a vacancy coming.😁  I am surprised she has never been approached by a show like that; she is an Outspoken Role Model For Women!  Seriously, I do wonder if she has been asked or offered a spot.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

Maybe Meeka could get a job on The Talk; there may be a vacancy coming.😁  I am surprised she has never been approached by a show like that; she is an Outspoken Role Model For Women!  Seriously, I do wonder if she has been asked or offered a spot.  

I doubt it. Because I think people in the industry believe she is joined at the hip to Joe professionally. For all of her KYV preaching, her value is intrinsically tied to Joe's. Nothing wrong with that. I works for them, but I do think it runs counter to some of the advice she shares. 

• Love 6

It really irritates me when they can’t even get the names of US senators right. Joe consistently refers to Joni Ernst as “Jody,” and today Kasie kept calling Kyrsten Sinema “Kristin.”

It’s not hard. I can get the names right and it’s not even my job.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, oakville said:

Joe will likely be in a bad mood tomorrow after being criticized by a progressive web site.

https://www.rawstory.com/joe-scarborough-border-rant/

Did not see a good bit of the show this morning...was getting house ready for electrician.  But I did tune in around 8:30 only to see Meeka chirping and gushing over her "next guests" who were on to discuss, naturally, women's value. If you have to constantly talk about your value...then you most likely do not have it.  If only she would be as well-read and engaged in the actual show instead of the brief KNV bits, the show would be better for it.  Maybe?  Geez, I wish the network would crack down, do IT's job and insist these two get their behinds back to New York; just as soon as the news shows and in-studio shows all return.  

She has to be near her mother?  Then move her to New York; hire help; maybe have your brothers help out (actually, maybe they do). Many people deal with this kind of thing every day.  Without a million dollar income to assist.  Geez, she pisses me off sometimes.  

Did not mean to go into a rant....both plumbing and electrical issues going on.  House built in 1915...doesn't that say it all?

Pattyk

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

If you have to constantly talk about your value...then you most likely do not have it. 

This belongs on a tee shirt. Maybe we could all wear them to a shaminar!

I think Mika's mom has a caregiver; Rosa or something who has been pictured with her and to whom Mika recently paid homage for her picture taking skills, getting good shots of the mom. I guess Mika decided that since she had to follow Joe to FL, she'd take her mother along to the warmer climate. Certainly gives her something to brag about on Instagram besides those huge cats. (Actually, when we moved to TX, I arranged for my mother to move here, too, to a senior living place about a mile away...hated for her to be left up north alone. I had mixed emotions about it, though, after the fact, as it was harder for her than I thought it would be to adjust. She was in her 80's at the time. Sometimes being an only child is hard.)

• Love 3

If The Twins are determined to stay in Florida (please MSNBC, make this stop), the least the network could do is insist they appear together on screen.  This is beyond ridiculous....heading into bizarre.  Why do they do this?

We have discussed how much money they are saving via state income taxes.  They are also able to deduct $$$$ for a “home office” I assume.  I wonder if they have two “home offices” and can claim them?  How I wish Mr. Kemper was here...he retired from a large federal tax collecting agency and could advise. 🤓 He would not let “us” claim a Jacuzzi tub deduction for a bad back (even though my doctor may have been amenable); same with a lap pool, gas for being a Girl Scout Cookie Mom, moving expenses when we retired, etc.

• Love 6
(edited)

oakville can continue from this point.

Joe was growing more furious by the day. He had believed in me from the start, and he wanted me to focus solely on Morning Joe. He probably saw me getting in my own way as I tried to get my due, but being aware of the challenges all women in television face, he knew how difficult it would be for me to solve this problem on my own.

https://medium.com/s/story/i-made-14-times-less-than-my-co-host-on-morning-joe-a393e8512548

Edited by suomi
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, suomi said:

oakville can continue from this point.

Joe was growing more furious by the day. He had believed in me from the start, and he wanted me to focus solely on Morning Joe. He probably saw me getting in my own way as I tried to get my due, but being aware of the challenges all women in television face, he knew how difficult it would be for me to solve this problem on my own.

https://medium.com/s/story/i-made-14-times-less-than-my-co-host-on-morning-joe-a393e8512548

Good grief.  There are no words for the hypocrisy.  And the selling of it.  Meeka, he believed in his ability to “charm” you. He did it twice before; third time seems to be the charm.

• Love 3

Good catch, suomi!

I didn’t need Chanel or Gucci, but I needed to look put together and, at the very least, make sure my clothes and hair were not a distraction. But looking camera-ready requires a wardrobe, and assembling a wardrobe takes a lot of time and costs a lot of money — the two things in my life that were in short supply.

Ok, so what's your excuse now, Mika? Have you just given up? 

Her emphasis on hair, make up, and clothes in her piece did not age well. Joe made sure she had the money (and he had her) and yet her appearance still is an issue. The elephant in the room, IMO, is that she is just not suited for the job. 

• Love 5
On 4/3/2021 at 10:38 AM, plumbago blues said:

Her emphasis on hair, make up, and clothes in her piece did not age well. Joe made sure she had the money (and he had her) and yet her appearance still is an issue. The elephant in the room, IMO, is that she is just not suited for the job. 

I feel for the position women in news media are put in. Some great reporters have been cast aside bc they wouldn't play into a glamour game. And I still find it odd to see so many female anchors going sleeveless - I am an old so to me it just reeks of a kind of informalness but more troubling is that I am fairly certain they are being directed to dress that way.

That being said, Mika had a 2 million dollar house that was featured in decor magazines when she was with her first husband. I'm sure Saks or Ann Taylor or most any other store would have been happy to take her credit card application. 

• Love 3
On 4/5/2021 at 12:12 PM, chick binewski said:

Mika had a 2 million dollar house that was featured in decor magazines when she was with her first husband. I'm sure Saks or Ann Taylor or most any other store would have been happy to take her credit card application. 

Every department store has personal shoppers and they are usually free.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Eliot said:

Every department store has personal shoppers and they are usually free.

I have to wonder how all female anchors and reporters (some who are making less than Meeka; some whose spouse's do not rake in millions) manage to appear appropriate and professionally dressed in front of the camera.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Kemper said:

I have to wonder how all female anchors and reporters (some who are making less than Meeka; some whose spouse's do not rake in millions) manage to appear appropriate and professionally dressed in front of the camera.

One of the meteorologists here, a young woman in her late 20's, did a blog post about that recently. She uses Rent the Runway. Not that impressed with her choices, too little-girl flouncy for my tastes, but she looks put together and comfortable, nothing too tight or too short, ie the infamous sleeveless sheath and stiletto look is passe, apparently. Mika really has no excuse, except, I guess, for (IMO)  poor taste and laziness. I'm surprised Joe didn't complain when she gave up her trademark look for those bathrobes and shrouds.

• Love 5

idk...seems a lil redundant to get high with either joe or mika, given their natural state, heh

i'd definitely get high with Willie tho. Imagine the tea!! I'd also invite High-lemann, for obvious reasons

• Love 6
On 4/15/2021 at 10:34 AM, neona said:

idk...seems a lil redundant to get high with either joe or mika, given their natural state, heh

i'd definitely get high with Willie tho. Imagine the tea!! I'd also invite High-lemann, for obvious reasons

I laughed so hard at about 37 seconds in when Willie mentions Joe is well-read and Stephen...asks a question.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Mika & Joe's "hot mike " moment in February 2016 reiterates my view that Joe's talking point that he "hung up" on Trump in December 2015 after he said that the USA kills people was just an act.

• Love 4
On 3/23/2021 at 7:25 AM, Eliot said:

It really irritates me when they can’t even get the names of US senators right. Joe consistently refers to Joni Ernst as “Jody,” and today Kasie kept calling Kyrsten Sinema “Kristin.”

And Joe is stuck on saying Eric Gardner.  The man's name is Garner.  As in Jennifer.  "On July 17, 2014, Eric Garner was killed in the New York City borough of Staten Island after Daniel Pantaleo, a New York City Police Department (NYPD) officer, put him in a prohibited chokehold while arresting him."

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:
On 3/23/2021 at 6:25 AM, Eliot said:

And Joe is stuck on saying Eric Gardner.  The man's name is Garner.

This irritates the hell out of me, too. Lazy and disrespectful and so haughty. Like "we can just gloss over the details because you minions don't know the difference and will listen to and believe everything we say...names and other details are just in the way of us making our point." In fairness, the "us" is Joe; Mika can't help it. There's something wrong with her.

9 hours ago, ebk57 said:

The Twins are on Colbert tonight.  I wonder why.

Hmmm. Ratings drop induced desperation? Who watched this? Details?

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, plumbago blues said:

Hmmm. Ratings drop induced desperation? Who watched this? Details?

I think the primary purpose was to promote Mika’s 50 for 50 thing. 

21 minutes ago, Lowcountry snark said:

She claimed that the 50 / 50 thing is the most popular list Forbes ever produced.  Also, she claimed that nobody has ever mentioned or considered successful women over 50 before now.

She said this?  I saw a pic of the two of them from Colbert this morning on Mediaite (a smarter version of The Enquirer)....she had on a colorful top and a baggy black jacket/blazer. I actually wish Meeka good fortune with this KYV Vanity Project; she obviously enjoys it and feels validated.  Maybe she will quit her day job and devote herself to KYV.  We would all win.

I am thinking the ratings drop may be because there was so much live coverage of the Chauvin trial by all the networks.  But is it wrong to wish that the drop was actually because the show has outlived it's sell-date?

• Love 3

I watched Joe & Mika on Colbert last night and while Joe dominated the conversation (as expected), what got me was Mika holding a wine glass during the interview.  Really Mika?  You can't even have a television interview without a wine glass in your hand?  Was she taking sips when the camera was on Joe?  It just comes across as so lazy and unprofessional.  I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that before, not even with a water bottle.

• Love 6
On 4/23/2021 at 1:40 PM, Linda956 said:

I watched Joe & Mika on Colbert last night and while Joe dominated the conversation (as expected), what got me was Mika holding a wine glass during the interview.  Really Mika?  You can't even have a television interview without a wine glass in your hand?  Was she taking sips when the camera was on Joe?  It just comes across as so lazy and unprofessional.  I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that before, not even with a water bottle.

She did the same thing with her last video chat with Katty. Drinking her wine, and sometimes holding those enormous cats, I think, is her desperate attempt to "be cool". "Everyone talks about Zoom get togethers and drinking wine, so I'm going to be one of those people" kinda thing. She is so awkward and shallow and her attempts are so forced. Cringey. I can see why her girls stay off of her SM radar... I'm more than a decade older than her and I am embarrassed for her.

ETA: While I'm at it: I was browsing through Walmart yesterday and low and behold, on the $3 Clearance rack I spotted a sweater we've seen in regular rotation: the tan one with the V neck and big diagonal ribs...hard to describe but you know it, the one that looks like it swallowed her. I think she has it in a couple of colors. Of course, can't say for sure it's the one she has but it was so very similar. Means nothing, but just a funny coincidence.

Edited by plumbago blues
...and another thing.
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

Drinking her wine, and sometimes holding those enormous cats

I read this wrong initially, and then again, and thought, "Perhaps I'm too judgmental of Mika, because a woman who'd do those things is actually pretty damn fun."

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

She did the same thing with her last video chat with Katty. Drinking her wine, and sometimes holding those enormous cats, I think, is her desperate attempt to "be cool". "Everyone talks about Zoom get togethers and drinking wine, so I'm going to be one of those people" kinda thing. She is so awkward and shallow and her attempts are so forced. Cringey. I can see why her girls stay off of her SM radar... I'm more than a decade older than her and I am embarrassed for her.

ETA: While I'm at it: I was browsing through Walmart yesterday and low and behold, on the $3 Clearance rack I spotted a sweater we've seen in regular rotation: the tan one with the V neck and big diagonal ribs...hard to describe but you know it, the one that looks like it swallowed her. I think she has it in a couple of colors. Of course, can't say for sure it's the one she has but it was so very similar. Means nothing, but just a funny coincidence.

I thought Mika's tan sweater with the V neck was only sold at Star Trek conventions.

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, oakville said:

Joe supports the new head of the News Group ! Cesar Conde must be relieved that he has the support of Mika & Joe.

According to this article, Cesar Conde has met with Joe to “exchange views on the direction of the network”. Also Cesar Conde is big on streaming, and will push for new contracts for people such as Rachel Maddow and Joy Reid to include content for Peacock. 

• Love 3

Nice to know that Joe is firmly ensconced with the network honcho.  Because at this point he and Meeka are just phoning it in; especially Joe.  Do any other hosts have such a seemingly cozy relationship with The Boss?  

• Love 3

I saw where Cindy McCain is supposed to be on The View today (I think); she has written a book.  Wonder how long it will take her to be on with Joe and Meeka; if so, I would bet that is one female author Joe will stick around for.  KYV.  I have always liked her (Cindy M) but don’t think I am up for the struggles of another rich woman.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Kemper said:

I saw where Cindy McCain is supposed to be on The View today (I think); she has written a book.  Wonder how long it will take her to be on with Joe and Meeka; if so, I would bet that is one female author Joe will stick around for.  KYV.  I have always liked her (Cindy M) but don’t think I am up for the struggles of another rich woman.  

In Cindy's defense, she does have Mee-Again for a daughter.  That's quite a cross to bear.

• LOL 4
25 minutes ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

In Cindy's defense, she does have Mee-Again for a daughter.  That's quite a cross to bear.

Sweet Jesus, yes.  I didn’t want to bring it up....so glad you did!  Megan has a naturally pretty face; but sadly it qualifies as one of the “punchable” ones.  There was a discussion of “punchable faces” years ago on this board.  Mark Halperin had one.  Anyone remember that?  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Kemper said:

Sweet Jesus, yes.  I didn’t want to bring it up....so glad you did!  Megan has a naturally pretty face; but sadly it qualifies as one of the “punchable” ones.  There was a discussion of “punchable faces” years ago on this board.  Mark Halperin had one.  Anyone remember that?  

Yes, Halperin and Noah Rothman!  And, of course Mee-Again.  So pretty on the outside, but, as we all know, you can't judge a book by it's cover.  She is deplorable.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Kemper said:

Called it....Cindy McCain is coming on next.  Will Joe be there?  If so, I am batting 1000.

18 hours ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

FFS for all Mika's pushing for KYV she goes ahead and introduces Cindy as "John McCain's widow", followed by asking about only one grandchild who I have to assume is Meghan's, followed by "we really miss John" - in a way that didn't let Cindy know other people were fond of him but in a way that suggested McCain's death was something that happened to Mika alone.

Both Mika & Joe just cheesed my onions today. Between Joe having to remind every guest how well he worked with everyone when he was a representative and Mika squealing how much fun! the Peacock sideshow was going to be tonight I lost the will to get out of bed.

• Love 4

I just read an article on Mediaite about the future of the big three cable news networks.  Apparently Joe and Meeka are the kingpins of morning tv; the small piece on them was very flattering. Sadly, the show they were describing was the show that The Twins actually used to have.

It also mentioned how they were “transitioning” back to the studio.  At least I think that was what was implied.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I just read an article on Mediaite

Me too! How much do they pay for that kind of puffery?

"Scarborough and Brzezinski have an on-air partnership like no other on-air duo, and their different sides on certain issues feel complementary. As they return to New York studio in the coming weeks, viewers will see if they can recapture the in-person magic that has made that show such an important franchise for MSNBC."

Makes me think the author hasn't been watching for what, the last 2 years? I think the magic is gone. Well, my interest in the old magic is gone. Mika's disinterest has ruined whatever chemistry there once was. I think the show should be reinvented with 2 stronger, better spoken, and more informed and engaging hosts.

• Love 6
27 minutes ago, plumbago blues said:

and their different sides on certain issues feel complementary.

Different sides?  Are pomposity and ignorance sides of any issue? 
He may bring a conservative viewpoint now and then (did you know?  He's fond of Reagan), but she's not liberal.  She's not a Democrat.  She's not progressive.  She's barely literate in political punditry.  She has no viewpoint.  She has no structured set of beliefs.  She is not a "different side" on any issue.  
Whoever wrote that has only a very cursory familiarity with the show.  The author presumes Mika has gravitas and political chops because, well, how could she have that job and NOT?

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

I have to wonder if they are simply going to head on over to Peacock full-time.  Meeka seems simply giddy about it; probably a good fit for The Twins.  Although they probably would be forbidden to go up against the network’s own programming.  I sure do wish Heileman was on more; or maybe he is and I missed it.  I am not interested (other then Brian W, Rachel and Nicole) in the current after-speech analysis team.  One would think Joe would be chomping at the bit to be on; maybe the other reporters don’t want him there. 😎

36 minutes ago, plumbago blues said:

Me too! How much do they pay for that kind of puffery?

"Scarborough and Brzezinski have an on-air partnership like no other on-air duo, and their different sides on certain issues feel complementary. As they return to New York studio in the coming weeks, viewers will see if they can recapture the in-person magic that has made that show such an important franchise for MSNBC."

Makes me think the author hasn't been watching for what, the last 2 years? I think the magic is gone. Well, my interest in the old magic is gone. Mika's disinterest has ruined whatever chemistry there once was. I think the show should be reinvented with 2 stronger, better spoken, and more informed and engaging hosts.

Maybe most accurate, descriptive post on The Twins sideshow the last couple of years ever.  Kudos!

• Love 2

I would be shocked if Mika & Joe would work full time from a NY studio.

I could see the network asking them to work from a studio in Palm Beach, so they could benefit from having better lighting & in studio guests.

• Love 3