Type keyword(s) to search

The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, neona2 said:

long-timers on here, what's the tea on this MSNBC vs Olbermann drama??

And what was the Morning Joe component to it, and/or what is his drama with Joe and Mika bc he seems to hate them?

(but also more surprisingly he seems mad at Rachel ---> I can see Joe accidentally getting into dumb unnecessary feuds but not Rachel tbh, so that makes me skeptical) 

he posted this long-ass thread on twitter to prove to the universe that he's a totally calm and rational human and would not at all be a problematic employee 🥴

https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/status/1504557653950935042

i've never seen his show but I'm curious but I can't really find any decent links or clips or anything, so withholding judgment on whether he's actually interesting, I mean he might be.

but also I'm glad being an asshole in high-profile workplaces is gradually getting de-glamorized, that shit is so unnecessary. no one cares how much of a genius you are if you can't stfu and treat staff and co-workers with calmness and respect, then yikes

but yes, posting in the hosts thread because I'm curious about the MJ history!!

@neona2, In 2008, Olbermann was a prime time  star at MSNBC & was making a lot more money than Mika & Joe. Morning Joe was becoming popular for its coverage of the 2008 GOP & Democratic primaries. The above clip shows Olbermann strongly disagreeing with Joe who considered himself to be an expert on the GOP. After this clip, Joe would periodically take potshots at Olbermann on Morning Joe for being a radical.

I recall Olbermann getting suspended from MSNBC for making a campaign donation to a Democratic candidate. Joe laughed at Olbermann for being so stupid to break corporate policy. It turns out, Joe also made a donation to a GOP candidate & was suspended from the network. Mika issued a strong defense of Joe's donation.

Olbermann retaliated against "Friend of Morning Joe"  Donny Deutsh when he got a show on MSNBC. Donny made some comments about extremists on both sides  & there was a photo of Keith Olbermann ! as one of the extremists. Keith exploded at MSNBC & got Donny fired.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donny-deutsch-sidelined-a_n_546622

A few years later, Keith was fired by MSNBC & Mika & Joe celebrated his demise.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/richard-adams-blog/2011/jan/22/keith-olbermann-msnbc-nbc-terminated

IMHO, Joe & Keith were both blowhards, but Keith has better knowledge of sports than Joe.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2010/11/19/131448737/next-in-penalty-box-msnbc-suspends-joe-scarborough-for-political-donations

Edited by oakville
Joe was suspended after Keith
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

thanks oakville!

idk seems to me on all sides like a whole lot of unnecessary male-genitalia measuring dumbassery. 🥴

one confusing thing is --> the drama about the contributions etc, is it that both Joe and Olbermann used their own *private* money to donate?

Idk how that's a scandal when they were already being so vocal about their opinions on air (I mean of course there are arguments about whether that's healthy in itself - leaving that aside)

I looked up Olbermann + Countdown on youtube and all I got was this retrospective thingy

so I still have no idea what his actual show was like. He seems a lil shouty and unnecessarily angry, which I hate, but also kinda irreverent and honest and funny, which I do like. So who knows what it was actually like. But the post-leaving public anger seems maybe not so healthy.

other funny aspects ---> baby!face Rachel Maddow! and the fact that the mondrian squares backdrop and then the rothko color blocking when she's reading text have not been updated since 1929!! Bless. I'm ok with this bc at least whoever originally made that shit gave it some actual thought. *time traveler chef's kiss*

another sad thing is that both Rachel and Olbermann seem to be in studio and live and breathe and exist and actually *enjoy* rather than shun NYC and there are like moving cars and life in the background etc.

and they all seem a lot more funny and creative and vibrant than it's allowed to be now on msnbc. which I get but also not, because the world probably also was serious back then? was it because it was more possible  to compartmentalize and transition and calibrate a healthy balance than now? idk 

But re: the Olbermann/MJ feud ---> why did he keep saying things after he left like Joe should go to hell etc?

https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/status/1499383773791539201

it just all seems so weird to me. And in such a public way??

In literally all other jobs, if you hate your co-workers, you go home and scream into a pillow. being kind in professional life and keeping dumb shit to yourself is literally an important part of developing your human character and patience. Ymmv.

22 hours ago, neona2 said:

thanks oakville!

one confusing thing is --> the drama about the contributions etc, is it that both Joe and Olbermann used their own *private* money to donate?

MSNBC does not allow their staff to make donations to political parties or candidates. Joe was outraged that he was treated the same way as Keith Olbermann. Joe sent Mika to defend him & the network refused to relent,

Idk how that's a scandal when they were already being so vocal about their opinions on air (I mean of course there are arguments about whether that's healthy in itself - leaving that aside)

I looked up Olbermann + Countdown on youtube and all I got was this retrospective thingy

so I still have no idea what his actual show was like. He seems a lil shouty and unnecessarily angry, which I hate, but also kinda irreverent and honest and funny, which I do like. So who knows what it was actually like. But the post-leaving public anger seems maybe not so healthy.

His show was popular during the Bush Administration. He would have a segment for the worst person in the world, & it was usually a Republican.

other funny aspects ---> baby!face Rachel Maddow! and the fact that the mondrian squares backdrop and then the rothko color blocking when she's reading text have not been updated since 1929!! Bless. I'm ok with this bc at least whoever originally made that shit gave it some actual thought. *time traveler chef's kiss*

But re: the Olbermann/MJ feud ---> why did he keep saying things after he left like Joe should go to hell etc?

https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/status/1499383773791539201

it just all seems so weird to me. And in such a public way??

In literally all other jobs, if you hate your co-workers, you go home and scream into a pillow. being kind in professional life and keeping dumb shit to yourself is literally an important part of developing your human character and patience. Ymmv.

Joe may also be jealous that Olbermann dated Katy Tur.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katy_Tur#Personal_life

• Love 2

I am trying to remember the swiping that Joe and Keith did. Keith’s show, at first, was a wonderful break from what the other networks were pushing back in the day. As has been said, Keith was primarily at the time a Sports Guy. He had wonderful guests who could talk sports, music, entertainment. His sarcasm was a thing to behold. He went after Fox News. Pretty soon he was must-see tv and elevated to Brian Williams-like stature. He anchored election-night coverage. And - I might be mistaken - introduced Rachel M and Chris Hayes to viewers. But he “flamed out” and burned some bridges. I think he did the same at ESPN. I did love his wit. He didn’t seem to care who he offended. A blessing and a curse.

Joe is a self-promoter of the PT Barnum variety. Both he and Keith have massive egos. Joe has the advantage of being able to schmooze with the network honchos; and can keep his temper and ego in check when he needs to. Personally, I am past his sell-by date.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/will-smith-lambasted-howard-stern-chris-rock-oscars-assault-1235120757/
Mika will latch onto this like a toddler on its parent's ankles.

"Glaser also blasted the total inaction from anyone in the room.

“People say, ‘How did Weinstein get away with that for so long? How did that happen?’ and it’s like, we just witnessed it! Everyone saw an assault take place. Everyone in the room with their own eyes. And then if you would have tuned in 20 minutes later, you would have never known that happened.”"

• Love 3

https://www.mikastraightup.com/
Anyone want to throw themselves on this hand grenade for the team and let us all know what fresh hell is contained therein?
I look at the picture and I'm immediately struck with how she is the quintessential everywoman.  Besides from the designer yoga gear letting you know she's relatable just like every professional, successful woman in media, the first thing I noticed was the gigantic fucking diamond on her ring.
I hope one of her podcasts peels the onion of how to get your chainsaw log art a week-long run in the foyer of SoHo House in Chelsea.  Relatable. 
"I'm not tone deaf, guys!  I'm tone hearing!  Tune in!  Listen as I invent the idea that women do things!"

• LOL 3
3 minutes ago, Lowcountry snark said:

https://www.mikastraightup.com/
Anyone want to throw themselves on this hand grenade for the team and let us all know what fresh hell is contained therein?
I look at the picture and I'm immediately struck with how she is the quintessential everywoman.  Besides from the designer yoga gear letting you know she's relatable just like every professional, successful woman in media, the first thing I noticed was the gigantic fucking diamond on her ring.
I hope one of her podcasts peels the onion of how to get your chainsaw log art a week-long run in the foyer of SoHo House in Chelsea.  Relatable. 
"I'm not tone deaf, guys!  I'm tone hearing!  Tune in!  Listen as I invent the idea that women do things!"

I will do it for a case of Sauvignon Blanc & a few bags of Cheetos.

• LOL 3

I think it has been said here (and on other sites) that Joe saved Meeka’s career when he hired her for MJ.

Joe Scarborough… A nation turned its lonely eyes on you. Woo woo woo

• LOL 3

okay I am cranky today but

it's like Mika's whole women's right project message as she presents it on MJ is like "it's a loooong runway!" for whom??

they do everything they can to shorten it for younger women. All of them, they matured professionally in vibrant work environment where people showed up in person and they met mentors, they made life-long friends, some met their actual spouses --> then post-covid they took all of the gifts of those environments and retreated into their  lockdown corners and now they never ever wanna come out.

And they expect all of young women to make our lives in this soul-destroying dull-ass zoom desert *they've* created? it's freakin maddening. they've benefitted from a lively vibrant ecosystem, then they've destroyed it by retreating from it and now its empty and weird and exhausting

• Love 2

So this morning, after clutching the blue and gold scarves at the top of the show to pull them more into the shot, Mika has been leaning over so far towards Joe it’s a miracle that she hasn’t fallen out of her chair. What’s with all the leaning?

My issues with Joe begin with his continued support for Republicans as demonstrated by his bothsidesing every issue and continues with his veneration of Mika’s father (which is always how Joe describes him). 

So, with Mika it’s style (she hasn’t demonstrated substance) and with Joes it’s substance (no style there - hello fleece!).

Is this hate watching? 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, may flowers said:

Is this hate watching? 

It is!

So is this:
Mika is sitting there slumped in her chair.  Rounded shoulders, no expression.  A shapeless cardigan over a bizarre t shirt.
People take more care of their appearance on zoom calls.  The men on the show are in tailored suits with ties.  Backs straight, heads up.  She looked great when she was on TV with Jimmy Fallon (or whoever), but it's beyond her to fake it and pretend on her own show?
If you saw that humped, rounded back and bottom-of-the-hamper shapeless $8 cardigan shuffling along, pushing a shopping cart at the market, you'd think there goes a troubled soul.  But she's not at Whole Foods, she's ON TELEVISION

• LOL 5
38 minutes ago, Lowcountry snark said:

Mika is sitting there slumped in her chair.  Rounded shoulders, no expression.  A shapeless cardigan over a bizarre t shirt.

What I saw was her sitting there with her arms crossed and head cocked to the side and nose in the air like she can barely stomach the guests on the panel. That judgey look is so cold and unbecoming. Acting like everyone is so beneath her...get over yourself. The one change I noted these last few days is Willie doing more of the news reading...she'll start the story, in actual fits and starts and flubs, and then, thankfully, he'll take over and finish it; in complete sentences with an even, measured professional tone. I guess TPTB realize that simple reading is one of her many shortcomings. Don't get me started on the scarves, leggings, sneakers and virtue signaling. I noted, too, that she has taken full advantage of having hair and makeup perks while in NYC...she's gone back to full blonde...like she said 2 years ago she'd never do...while holed up in FL. My final observance is the 15 in the corner logo: perhaps it's a game for viewers: find the 15 flubs and annoyances in Mika's performance. I'll stick with CNBC and follow along with your comments here.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

Hate Watching? Why yes, yes it is. 😻

Plumbago B! You are so right! I have noticed that on the Mediaite gush posts and pictures - Meeka’s head is always cocked to one side. I am sure this is a generic pose taught to women who are “in listening” mode as tv reporters. All I think about are cocker spaniels or the RCA dog.

On CNN this morning Briana K was on the ground in the Ukraine. Her hair was pulled back into a French Braid with minimal makeup, wearing a heavy generic coat. She was interviewing a pregnant Ukrainian woman with a couple of kids; her husband had been drafted into the war. The interview was wonderful; no drama, no “look at me” from the woman or Briana K. The Ukrainian woman was a perfect example of a woman persevering. “Her Value” did not need mentioning.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

I guess TPTB realize that simple reading is one of her many shortcomings.

Shortcomings can be excused, perhaps, if the person has strengths to offset them.  What strengths does Mika bring to the table?  This woman has fewer skills than a Walmart greeter, yet pulls in a seven-figure salary.

• Love 6
(edited)

joe and mika on Jimmy Fallon!!

It's very very boring. Usually they are so good at this kind of thing but this was so dull, I wonder what happened. They even looked awkward walking out, usually they are good at that doing their presidential couple stage walk on colbert etc but here they were stumbling out and Mika was like holding her phone? It's an entertainment show! You're supposed to be cute and funny and tell a funny story! so that people get curious and wanna tune in to your actual morning show! not be all "we knew we were geniuses from day one", yikes. The weird thing is they have done other shows like this where they were great and they DO have tons of funny stories. like Peggy Noonan on Ambien or whatever. mika eating a jar of nutella! Mrs brzezinski cooking roadkill! Maybe it was the host asking the wrong questions hmmm. 

I am happy for Nicolle and Michael!!! Mostly I'm relieved that Michael now gets to live in a house that has furniture in it. i've been a lil worried about him. but Nicolle is so badass and deserves all the happiness in the world

Edited by neona2
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

What I saw was her sitting there with her arms crossed and head cocked to the side and nose in the air like she can barely stomach the guests on the panel. That judgey look is so cold and unbecoming. Acting like everyone is so beneath her...get over yourself. The one change I noted these last few days is Willie doing more of the news reading...she'll start the story, in actual fits and starts and flubs, and then, thankfully, he'll take over and finish it; in complete sentences with an even, measured professional tone. I guess TPTB realize that simple reading is one of her many shortcomings. Don't get me started on the scarves, leggings, sneakers and virtue signaling. I noted, too, that she has taken full advantage of having hair and makeup perks while in NYC...she's gone back to full blonde...like she said 2 years ago she'd never do...while holed up in FL. My final observance is the 15 in the corner logo: perhaps it's a game for viewers: find the 15 flubs and annoyances in Mika's performance. I'll stick with CNBC and follow along with your comments here.

Frankly, I am amazed at the job that the female & male anchors do at CNBC.

Becky is very sharp at 6 am & is eager to take on curmudgon Joe Kernan whenever he goes on a rant.

David Ross Sorkin is a bit like Willie Geist but more talented.

I could never do a recap of the CNBC morning show, because they are very professional & almot never flub their script.

• Love 2

Her Ukranian flag scarf is absolutely ridiculous.  She looks like a lunatic and an amateur.
Mika's wearing Ukranian deely boppers on her head as the senator from Connecticut explains to us how weapons and munitions are being fed into Ukraine.  The juxtaposition is just ridiculous.  This woman is aiding NATO in arming resistance fighters with surface to air missiles, and Mika is shopping for yellow kerchiefs on Etsy.

Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 8.45.28 AM.png

• Love 2
On 4/6/2022 at 8:26 PM, neona2 said:

they DO have tons of funny stories. like Peggy Noonan on Ambien or whatever. mika eating a jar of nutella! Mrs brzezinski cooking roadkill! Maybe it was the host asking the wrong questions hmmm. 

Honestly, though, is there anyone left who hasn't heard those stories, ad nauseum? Mika's childhood travails aren't exactly riveting tv (ymmv) at this point. They prove at every appearance that there is no "there there" anymore. They are just stagnant, low energy characters who, IMO, are past their due date. Mika is a worthless prop and Joe offers nothing but noise and hot air, and I guess their stint on the Fallon showed this to the world.

Oh, and I, too, clicked by to see her latest abuse of the Ukrainian flag colors...tucked into her collar. How subtle.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Kemper said:

your description of her attire is tantalizing. 

she was wearing what appeared to be a silken Ukrainian flag/scarf as a collar tucked into a bulky, shapeless black sweater.

Apparently they can't fill the 4th hour.  made omelettes and Mika is far, far too newsy for that brand of shenanigans.  I mean, have you even seen her Ukrainian flare?

• Love 2

Anyone catch the Ina Garten new series, where she invites celebs to her home? (Forgot the name.) I taped yesterday's and watched it this morning. She teased that her guest was "smart, warm, funny, and a great interviewer" and then showed the photos of the MJ team. Based on her description it was easy to figure out who that would be. Willie! It was the usual love fest of Ina loving him and he (and his wife) loving her...blah, blah...but confirmed how much of a natural he is at basic human interaction. Funny that Mika wasn't chosen, what with Ina being a successful "Over 50" woman and all. Really, though, NOT funny as Mika could never participate in spontaneous, spirited banter. Does she ever appear anywhere on these types of shows, mixing it up with other women? (Without being a side piece to Joe?") Actually, this show may not have been new-new, but was new to me and kind of sweet and lighthearted. Spoiler: Willie was valedictorian of his Bartending College class in 1993...as a senior in high school!) 

• Love 5

Rachel M will only be doing her show once a week; the network will be using guests/fill-ins the other four nights. Why not give those hours to MJ? Joe and company could rule over another hour a day. Evening attire! 

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

Evening attire! 

Yeah. Which will be a yellow and blue flowered shirt dressed up with yellow and blue chiffon scarves, alternating with yellow and blue basic workout shirts dressed up with yellow and blue chiffon scarves. Perhaps they can snack on sunflower seeds.

• LOL 4
4 hours ago, Lowcountry snark said:

Would be fun if he was in a tux with martini and she was in the Loubs and pearls and a Mad Men-era dress.

I think the days of short dresses (I am envious of her legs) and stilettos are gone for good. She is a very attractive woman; but thinks that dressing in dull, ill-fitting, ugly clothes gives her gravitas. She is now a Serious TV Journalist and Knows Her Value. I wish any female news personality would talk to her. Or friends could stage an intervention. Pay for view!

Edited by Kemper
Spelling error
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 4/5/2022 at 10:44 AM, xaxat said:

Does anyone know how much money MSNBC had to cough up in order to get Joe and Mika back in the studio and working an additional hour?

Well that lasted all of (checks calendar) one week.

That is some kind of chutzpah, asking Willie and guests to show up in studio when they personally can't be bothered to leave their basement in Florida.

I ditched the show a while ago but returned to check out the four hour version. I'm out again.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I saw two (two!) articles featuring The Twins this morning on Mediaite.  Meeka had on what appeared to be a short-sleeved gray top. It was really really snug. Even the blinding yellow scarf could not distract from how “well-fitting” that sweater was. Yowza. It was more obvious in the “over the fold” story - larger pic. The article was about the Piers Morgan interview.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Lowcountry snark said:

Indeed.  My wife said, "I bet Joe loves it when Mika wears that around the house."

Apparently Joe does like it, because this morning he posted a photo on his Instagram stories of her wearing this shirt, and holding some flowers.

Edited by cased
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

We have all commented on the shallow, ill-fitting, showy wardrobe choices that go against every rule of a journalist. All it does is shout “Look at Me” to all.

Meeka is golden due to her family name and marriage. And she believes all the accolades that come her way; I gather she has a fan base. The network gifts her with vanity projects that most viewers tune out. I hang-in a bit to see the wonderful comments from this group; Oakville should include those in his book. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Oh crap now they think they are sooo important and relevant.  I can jyst hear them tomorrow (two nights later) rehashing the event. 

Edited by jacourt
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, meowmommy said:

"Shout out to Joe and Mika...  The most adorable HR violation in town."

That joke never gets old...I think it was used at the last WCD 2 years ago. I agree that this will puff them up a bit this week. I was shocked, actually, that the power couple at MSNBC, the one with the endless show, did not go last night. Imagine the impact Mika would have made dressed in a strapless Ukrainian flag.

• LOL 7

Mika's honeyed tresses look so much better than her severe platinum shorter hair cut.

Her mother really did a number on her.  With some minor effort she could be a style icon and known for beauty as her brand (along with her day job), but I'm absolutely certain she's said, "I'm a journalist, having a stylist is beneath me."  When the real reasons are she's fearful she'll wilt under the attention and judgment, and her mother would call her ugly names for being attractive.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Lowcountry snark said:

Mika's honeyed tresses look so much better than her severe platinum shorter hair cut.

Her mother really did a number on her.  With some minor effort she could be a style icon and known for beauty as her brand (along with her day job), but I'm absolutely certain she's said, "I'm a journalist, having a stylist is beneath me."  When the real reasons are she's fearful she'll wilt under the attention and judgment, and her mother would call her ugly names for being attractive.

I think Mika is intellectually and socially challenged in that she does not have a lot of confidence in herself. She can’t seem to Get Above Her Raisin’ and it doesn’t help that she married a man who is basically her parents.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Look up the definition of "alpha male" and you'll see a picture of Joe. He reminds me of a quote on The Mary Tyler Moore Show regarding Ted Baxter - "he looks like he's posing for a postage stamp". Indeed!

• LOL 4
6 hours ago, Kemper said:

Maybe the network can come out with a “Where’s Waldo” version of MJ. Should it have The Twins appearing together or separately?

I have to wonder who they know that gets them so much space on Mediaite; that is how I keep up with what is discussed on the show. Under a pic that always features Joe and his giant head orating (sometimes includes Meeka or a couple of minions) - the article most often starts with “Joe Scarborough explodes” and then inserts a few words of the Rant of the Day.

Those two are managed by Ari Emanuel (linked article explains why that's notable) so if they don't know people to get that much space then he sure does. Mediaite and formerly associated sites were started by former MSNBCer Dan Abrams though sooooo. From what I've read Mediaite is one of that group of sites that his company still owns. 

• Love 2