Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Talk: The Tribe Has Spoken

• Start Topic

Ahem.....

Actually, WE gave Rupert the 'America's favorite' million. That was a viewer vote

I've got some nice swamp land in Arizona for sale, for anyone who believes that fans have voted anything to anyone on any reality show. :)

(See Food Network Star winner Lenny's season if you think I'm nuts).

At any rate, Rob & Amber, and anyone else who's ridden off into the sunset with a million dollars all have a different story to tell. I didn't know anything about China winner's problems until he was on Dr. Phil.

• Love 2

Rupert was massively popular at the time. They created the prize for him to win, and they definitely didn't need to rig the vote. No other Survivor has ever touched his popularity with the casual fanbase. Stephenie came the closest, but squandered it immediately by being so wretched in Guatamala that the editors couldn't gloss it over without leaving the audience confused as to how she ended up being the goat.

In light of tonight's vote . . . what is the best example of getting hosed at Tribal Council? For some reason, I keep coming back to Tom in S20. The Heroes took a gimpy James over him, and It still sticks in my craw. Also sucks that Tom was the only past champion not to make it to the jury phase of the game.

• Love 2

I've got some nice swamp land in Arizona for sale, for anyone who believes that fans have voted anything to anyone on any reality show. :)

(See Food Network Star winner Lenny's season if you think I'm nuts).

I have to disagree.  I watch The Voice during the blind auditions and "battle rounds."  Once "America" starts voting, I bail.  I don't watch DWtS, or Idol, or any of that ilk because the results are so clearly, horribly, wrong that the fans have to be voting.  Individual persons are great, people suck.

• Love 4

I believe they gave Rupert a million dollars for being Rupert and they thought he was someone America loved.

I have always been bewildered about the people who love and adore Rupert.

Who are they?

Dim witted children who mistake him for a Jim Henson muppet?

I always found him an obnoxious blowhard.

I'm immediately suspicious of anyone who constantly claims to be a force for good like that guy does.

Oh, and before someone chimes in and says that he donated his million to charity, stop!

What he did was create the Rupert Foundation and install his family members as executive officers of it, to pay them salaries.

It is a tax dodge that does little more than giving young men on probation, jobs mowing grass and hauling junk to the salvage yard.

Edited by ToastnBacon
  • Love 2
Pushing a 'favorite' down our throats does nothing to boost ratings.

I can only say that Jeff Probst makes a fat living disagreeing with that statement, as would Boston Rob Mariano, Russell Hantz, blowhard Rupert, Cochran, Coach Wade, Agent Phil, Parvati Shallow, Ozzy, Sandra, Amanda, Gravedigger James, Yul, Tom, Ethan, Tina ...

• Love 3

In light of tonight's vote . . . what is the best example of getting hosed at Tribal Council? For some reason, I keep coming back to Tom in S20. The Heroes took a gimpy James over him, and It still sticks in my craw. Also sucks that Tom was the only past champion not to make it to the jury phase of the game.

I always thought back to Hunter during Marquesas.  Any of the people who had the misfortune of winding up on Lex's tribe during AS, pre-merge.  Tina Wesson during AS because Jenna Lewis thought winners should get voted out first since they already won.  Jioel during Borneo, especially since it seemed like he sort of took the fall for some remarks Gervase made.

This topic is starting to veer off-topic and getting a bit more into the conspiracy side of things.  If you want to talk about whether things are rigged or not, please take it it to the conspiracy thread.  

Thanks and happy posting. 

Who was the advertising executive who won one year, was her name Katie? Marqueses?? My memory is faulty on that one, but I was thinking how a whole season of people like that, ad execs or salespeople, would be a bombshell of egos and people trying to outthink the other guys. That's when to stick Savage back in the mix.

OK, it wasn't Vecepia, I remember her. There was some blonde-brownish haired woman named Katie who worked in advertising that I thought won one year.

ETA: Katie lost to Tom in Palau. Coby was the only person to vote for her.

Man, this has been a brain exercise.

I apologize if this has come up in the past.  I couldn't find it, but I'm still working on my coffee.

In Cagayan, was Tony's spy shack really as clandestine as he thought?  Or did everyone know it was there and were just playing along?  I've been meaning to rewatch, but I'm having my fill of Spencer and company right now.

I don't think anyone knew about it at first - I can't remember if anyone ever did. Also I believe he built it pre-merge and I don't remember what happened to the shack post-merge. It was funny hearing it brought up last week.

Thinking about people who managed to charm others so completely in the game that said others were in some cases deeply hurt that they didn't stay BFF in real life, I'll nominate Parvati, Rob, Kim and first time JT as real charmers, with the first two making real enemies of people they saw as mere aquaintances who were hurt because they thought they were pissed off that they were not as important to these two as they thought (for Rob, that would include Lex, obviously, as well as Grant, for Parvati, Candice, Ozzy, Amanda, and for both probably more people we haven't seen them play with).  

I remember Parvati's first-ever Survivor Live (or whatever it was called, that post-show thing, I think this was for Caramoan?) with Ozzy; it was sort of amazing to watch.  Ozzy seemed a bit guarded and grumpy to be there, which sort of fits--he'd been disappointed again and again on the show, and Parvati was the one who dealt him the worst blow to his ego.  But over the course of half an hour or however long it was, Parv won him over till he was smiling, flirting, and saying you know he'd actually love to play again, really....I don't know if they're friends IRL, but she sure made it look that way for that brief episode, not just to me, but to Ozzy himself.  You can really see how people must start to think they're really close with her, when she's just playin' the game.

• Love 2

I apologize if this has come up in the past.  I couldn't find it, but I'm still working on my coffee.

In Cagayan, was Tony's spy shack really as clandestine as he thought?  Or did everyone know it was there and were just playing along?  I've been meaning to rewatch, but I'm having my fill of Spencer and company right now.

Going off of Tony's Dom and Colin podcast, he actually used the spy shack a lot more than was shown. It was apparently the reason he stopped trusting Cliff in the first place, he listened into a conversation Cliff had where he said he wanted to get rid of Tony. 

I always thought it was odd when Tony said he had spent hours in the spyshack. Where did everyone think he was all that time? Most castaways get paranoid when someone is gone for 5 minutes looking for an HII and here Tony is gone for hours and there isn't any mention. Also, I don't recall any scenes where Tony is alledgly in the spyshack listening to anyone. I know he talked about in his exit interviews but was there any secret conversations shown while Tony was shown going in or exiting the spyshack? Just curious?!

Who was the advertising executive who won one year, was her name Katie? Marqueses?? My memory is faulty on that one, but I was thinking how a whole season of people like that, ad execs or salespeople, would be a bombshell of egos and people trying to outthink the other guys. That's when to stick Savage back in the mix.

Earl, the winner of Fiji, was an advertising executive.

That's cool if it really worked for him.  I wish we could have seen it, but it might have dampened some conversations if the others noticed a film crew pointing a camera behind a Surprisingly Dense Bush.

It seems like there was one scene that did show him doing it, overhearing Kass and Spencer or something.  I assume it was a long shot.  But since a lot of conversations happened out in the water, I figured they all knew and left Tony squatting alone behind his bush.

• Love 1

The "original" spy-shack wasn't in the bush. Tony talked about how there was extra space at the back of Brawn's shelter and that's where he would listen in at. He also gave some props to the camera crew for not blowing up his spot and making it obvious that he was back there while filming. 

Fishcakes:

Joe looks a lot like my best friend from third grade, Kimberly.

For my money, the best looking man to ever appear on Survivor was Nick Brown from the Outback season. Brady from Vanuatu was also really good-looking, but more of a pretty boy and fairly dumb from what I can remember, although not as dumb as J.P., who was not as handsome as Brady but somehow much hotter. And I thought Grant from Redemption Island was interesting because he got very attractive a couple of weeks into the season, then he started to look like one of the cavemen from the Geico commercials, then he showed up at the reunion dressed like he was in the roadshow of Newsies.

On topic ... uh, I got nothing.

I just want to say I really like fishcakes's taste in men.  Thank you for this trip down "I can barely remember them but yessss" lane.  Taken from the episode topic thread and brought here so people can Google Image.  It's fun!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
I just can't picture how Tony could be in a bush in eavesdropping distance for hours and be left alone by cameramen.

Nor I.  The way they shot they whole thing made it look like preposterous theater.  I mean what are the chances that word wouldn't spread that Tony was squatting in a blind of rapidly-wilting leaves hoping somebody would walk by and say something Tony could use?  It seemed so ridiculous and likely to fail that I just assumed Tony was mugging for the camera.

The Spy Shack is baffling. We've seen people like Sandra crawl through the bushes to spy on tribemates, but she's a small woman. How did a handful of branches cover up a hulking guy like Tony? Was everyone in Cagayan blind? Cagayan is bizarro Survivor. Everything that Tony did should have blown up in his face, but instead it all worked perfectly.

• Love 4
Thank you for this trip down "I can barely remember them but yessss" lane.

Just to be an equal opportunity creeper, I think the best looking women are Brenda Lowe, Colleen Haskell, and Jenna Morasca. I find it a little harder to pick out attractive women, though, since so many of them look really similar to me. If you showed me a picture of Jesse from Africa, Monica from Samoa/this season, and Julie from Vanuatu, I don't think I could say with 100% certainty which was which. Same with Dolly from Vanuatu, Jefra from Cagayan, and Angie from the Philippines.

• Love 1

Okay, but Colleen Haskell is one of the best looking women I've ever seen EVER.  Doesn't even matter for this show.  What a goddess!

I absolutely agree with you on Brenda, but ugh on Jenna.  She never ever did it for me.  

I think I like Ami the best from Vanuatu.  She always struck me as somebody who looked like an actress, like a soap opera actress, like that beautiful.   I kept trying to figure out who she reminded me of.  I think I got stuck on Tea Leoni.  I hardly remember any of the other Vanuatu women.  They likely did not stick out for me.  I do remember the guys that were kicked out of Vanuatu being super gorgeous though.  So thanks for the reminder.  That season did not work out well for me, looks-wise.  Though it was fun to watch Panama right after (?) because the hot guy I was cheering for all along, (Aras) actually won!

I had the hugest crush on Nick Brown by the way.  It's a shame we never saw him again!  In TV in any form! : (  He was kind of the Greg Buis to Elisabeth's Colleen.  Also, I loved Greg....

I ended up becoming really attracted to Kat on One World.  Her eyes are gorgeous.  Her stupidity, almost endearing.

I honestly don't recall Grant on RI at all.  Of course I liked Matt, who fittingly has acted on Pretty Little Liars and stuff.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Just to be an equal opportunity creeper, I think the best looking women are Brenda Lowe, Colleen Haskell, and Jenna Morasca. I find it a little harder to pick out attractive women, though, since so many of them look really similar to me.

Don't worry, you're doing fine. ;>

Just to be an equal opportunity creeper, I think the best looking women are Brenda Lowe, Colleen Haskell, and Jenna Morasca. I find it a little harder to pick out attractive women, though, since so many of them look really similar to me. If you showed me a picture of Jesse from Africa, Monica from Samoa/this season, and Julie from Vanuatu, I don't think I could say with 100% certainty which was which. Same with Dolly from Vanuatu, Jefra from Cagayan, and Angie from the Philippines.

!!!

You have besmirched Jefra, varlet!  Where is my gauntlet?

• Love 1

If they thought Malcolm was a challenge threat why did they keep him a week longer than Abi?  I don't remember it much so I read Wikipedia and it said Lisa and Skupin voted out Abi because they had an alliance with Denise and Malcolm.  It said Lisa wanted to get Malcolm out because he was a threat but he won a few immunities in a row toward the end.

That is a big problem Abi has.  Skupin and Lisa knew they should dump Denise.  But Abi had pissed them off -- pissed everyone off -- so much, they booted her instead.  They made a poor game decision, even though only a few more days remained, and it turned out that cost them the game. 

If Abi goes deep this season, she could face the same problem all over.   

While I'm sure Abi being Abi helped them make the decision, according to Lisa in exit interviews, their thought process was "we can't let Malcolm win immunity, who is more likely to beat Malcolm in a challenge, Abi (with torn ACL) or Denise?"  They let their fear of Malcolm blind them to the fact that Denise was as much of a FTC threat as he was, if not moreso.  A classic case of "it doesn't matter if you make it to FTC if you can't win when you get there".  Faith in themselves was all they needed, as we saw, because Malcolm outright lost the final challenge even despite winning the advantage.

It is painful for me to think about, and a bit off-topic, but I tried very hard to keep this lesson in mind when I played Diplomacy.  Weirdly often, it's somehow less scary in the short term to take a 100% chance of losing (voting out Abi) than to take the .01% chance of winning (voting out Denise and having to beat Malcolm for final immunity).  It puts so much pressure on your shoulders, there's a nagging voice saying "it will be alright, it will be alright, don't put yourself out there, take the cowardly choice..."  It's hard for me to blame them, emotionally, for wimping out, though my analytical brain sure does.  One of them was sure to get the money.  (It actually would have been a really hard choice for the jury, I think, especially since I bet Pete would have thrown Abi a sympathy vote.)

• Love 3

Interesting.  Thanks for explaining.  I wasn't pulling for Lisa/Michael so my thought process that season wasn't from that angle.  

I wouldn't be too keen on Matt from RI - he killed Andrea's game! and was not as good a player as he thought he was. Also not a "natural" in the wilderness and full odf sermons, wasn't he? (memory a bit fuzzy)

I'd take Brandon from Guatemala in a heartbeat - how could I have forgotten him!!?? Granted, his hair wasn't that long, but he was another of the cast of Guatemala that I would love to see again. Because he was voted off pre-jury, we only saw his creativity in challenges, nice personality overall, but also some goofy behaviour, if memory serves. (Did Judd from that season have long(ish) hair? I'd also take him as a villain next time around. Jamie? Ditto? Didn't Bobby Jon have long(ish) hair? He can come back too, I loved how he went from obnoxious at the begining of Palau to martyr by the end of the season, then came back as mostly a gentleman in Guatemala. I want people who improve their behaviour to be rewarded, rather than the opposite!)

Max? No, no and no. I suspect he would remain a bad player because with all his knowledge of the trivia of the game he seems badly equiped to adapting to people around him that don't fit into what he expects. Plus he's not eye candy, whereas all the others mentioned above are. That said, if he came back and if he changed his game (big ifs), I would be mightily impressed. Not holding my breath though.  

I'm sorry if this is the wrong way to do it - I posted this in Joe's thread in response to another post, then realized it had nothing to do with Joe but referred to past players/seasons.

ETA: has anyone watched Total Drama/The Ridonculous Race? while it's based on TAR rather than Survivor this time, there is a team that is very much Missy and Baylor (the daughter is even called Taylor!), even to the point that another dad thinks Missy, sorry, Kelly, is too soft on Baylor/Taylor. My son, who I got onto Survivor, got me on Total Drama, and it's an amazing pastiche! (Don't give me any spoilers if you watch it too, I'm only down to episode 9 and this one I'm not going to binge watch but will wait until my son's school schedule allows us to go forward together).  

Edited by NutMeg
  • Love 1

Here's my response to your post Nutmeg (as I realized it also had to do with past seasons more than Joe):

I felt sorry for Matt, which I think is why I would have wanted him to get a second shot.  And I thought he had pretty hair, of course :)  The whole thing with him and Andrea stank of a forced edited attempt at a showmance.  It's been a long time since I've watched RI, and though I have no desire to re-watch it, I guess I forgot how bad Matt was at the game.  So I may force myself to do that, just to jog my memory.  I watched Marquesas not too far back, and remember that was an era where I could actually stomach Boston Rob and was disappointed that he was kicked off pre-jury.  I don't think Rob bothered me so much during RI as that was about the worst cast they could have thrown together for a season like that, and it just seemed like his victory was handed to him rather than earned (I think even Russell could have beat Philip and Natalie).  Back to Matt, I know he was asked to return but he's definitely moved on, and doesn't have the locks he did back then, either.

I simply adored Brandon.  I remember that RC after the tribe swap where he annihilated Jaime in the first phase of it (they have to start off chopping a bunch of ropes to cut down some planks; by the time Brandon's tribe finished the challenge Jaime wasn't even done with that first part).  Judd didn't have long hair; he was actually balding, IIRC.  Brandon was really quite the competitor, definitely someone that I wish had better odds on his season.  Would have loved to at least get him on the jury.  Loved that he was just a good old farm boy, and I remember really underestimating him.  Jaime's hair wasn't long enough to pull back or anything, but he had a mop of hair on his head.  So did Bobby Jon (one of my original eye candy's).  At least he made the jury that season.  He was quite the gentleman.  He and Jaime went at it during one of the RC where Jaime rolled a boulder into Amy.  Guatemala is such an underrated season.  I've been thinking about that season a lot lately, because I remember the location was a difficult one.  Not as hard as this season apparently is, but hearing about what tough conditions they had makes me think of it.

• Love 1
It's been a long time since I've watched RI, and though I have no desire to re-watch it, I guess I forgot how bad Matt was at the game.  So I may force myself to do that, just to jog my memory.

Matt didn't actually play Survivor, he played "Redemption Island," which was some other weird anti-climactic show that I have no interest in watching.

While I'm sure Abi being Abi helped them make the decision, according to Lisa in exit interviews, their thought process was "we can't let Malcolm win immunity, who is more likely to beat Malcolm in a challenge, Abi (with torn ACL) or Denise?"  They let their fear of Malcolm blind them to the fact that Denise was as much of a FTC threat as he was, if not moreso.

It occurs to me that being the "second biggest threat" is a pretty interesting and often successful strategy to win the game.  Denise should've been an obvious target yet everyone was so focused on Malcolm that it ended up actually keeping Denise around in order to have a chance at beating him.  Same logic somewhat applied to Earl beating Yau Man, or Aras beating Terry, or maybe even Yul beating Ozzy.

• Love 3

Sounds like my boyfriend. He calls Jaime "Kat 2.0" (having seen One World before China), can't tell Danni from Erinn (despite different hair colours and one wearing glasses) and needs an inordinate amount of prodding to remember most young female players. I pulled up photos of Guatemala Morgan, Darrah and Misty and he didn't even recall them existing, let alone who was who (although in his defence, he somehow knew one of them was a mortician). I don't know whether to blame him, the editing or the casting.

Lookswise, my favorite women are Brenda, Cagayan Morgan, Amber, Erinn, Samoa Kelly, Tasha and Sundra. For the men, Samoa Erik, JT, Penner, Boston Rob, Sash, Jeremy and John Carroll. I also find Jean Robert kind of hot, but don't judge me.

• Love 4

I pulled up photos of Guatemala Morgan, Darrah and Misty and he didn't even recall them existing, let alone who was who (although in his defence, he somehow knew one of them was a mortician). I don't know whether to blame him, the editing or the casting.

Darrah! Now that's someone I would've liked to have seen on Second Chance.

Lookswise, my favorite women are Brenda, Cagayan Morgan, Amber, Erinn, Samoa Kelly, Tasha and Sundra.

Oh man, Sundra. I think she might just be the most beautiful woman ever on the show.

• Love 4

Ooh, good, an excuse to be shallow, the Hottest Survivor Women game!  My votes go to Chelsea (One World), Tijuana (Pearl Islands), Alexis (Cagayan), Katie Hanson (Philippines), Elyse (South Pacific), Erinn, Syndey and Candace (all Tocantins), So (last season), and Amber Brkich-Mariano.  I seem to also vaguely recall a few other very attractive women who were one of the first 1-2 bootees, so they aren't sticking in my memory as well.

Anybody remember when Billy Garcia was voted out, and he said that it was ok because he found love based on a look Candice gave him at the challenge? It was such a weird moment, did he ever discuss it afterword?

One of the most truly bizarre moments in Survivor history.  Probst's facial expressions as Billy was explaining this were absolutely priceless.  There was a great entry about this on the old "Funny 115 Survivor moments" webpage that's worth it for the pictures alone.

I did some searching online while trying to figure out which season of Survivor to re-watch and found out I didn't remember a lot of the events or people from older seasons. I was horrified to read about Survivor: Thailand winner Brian Heidik shooting a puppy. No f*cking way will I re-watch that season (he didn't shoot the puppy on the show but there is no way I could watch him while knowing that info). Are there other contestants who make it far on their season of Survivor that were cruel to animals (I'm not talking about hunting food to eat or quickly killing a chicken to eat)? If so then please let me know so I can skip re-watching their seasons.

On a lighter note, re-watching Pearl Island all these years later was a blast. Those tribes (Morgan and Drake) were so unbalanced from the onset. Sandra remained awesome in an understated way.

Edited by Vicky8675309

I did some searching online while trying to figure out which season of Survivor to re-watch and found out I didn't remember a lot of the events or people from older seasons. I was horrified to read about Survivor: Thailand winner Brian Heidik shooting a puppy. No f*cking way will I re-watch that season (he didn't shoot the puppy on the show but there is no way I could watch him while knowing that info). Are there other contestants who make it far on their season of Survivor that were cruel to animals (I'm not talking about hunting food to eat or quickly killing a chicken to eat)? If so then please let me know so I can skip re-watching their seasons.

Ben from Samoa didn't make it far (he got voted out third), but one of the women on his tribe said that he would catch little animals around camp and mutilate them. They never showed that on the show, but there is a strange scene of Ben holding a little lizard in one hand and a stick in the other and baby-talking the lizard. If you didn't know that he was a sick creep, you'd probably not think much of it, but knowing what his tribemate said, it becomes pretty clear what he's about to do.

I just searched for the interview where I read that about him and I can't find it, but I assume it had to be either Marisa or Betsy's exit interview because they were the only two voted out before him and I know I read that interview before I saw the lizard scene (and I only watched that season once). I did find the recap of episode one on Survivor Oz and I don't remember this but Ben apparently within the first few minutes of the game bragged about how many animals he's killed both legally and illegally. It doesn't even sound like it was relevant to what was going on; each tribe was voting for a leader and when he didn't get elected, he just offered up the information for no reason. Like, "yeah, I'm not the leader but I've killed things." Disturbing.

• Love 2
Anybody remember when Billy Garcia was voted out, and he said that it was ok because he found love based on a look Candice gave him at the challenge? It was such a weird moment, did he ever discuss it afterword?

It was brought up at the reunion show.  Jeff was talking about Adam/Candice's showmance.  He made a joke to Billy that Candice was available now; Candice looked embarrassed but Billy laughed it off.  He had to know it was coming.  He was asked about it in interviews, but all I remember him saying was that he found her attractive and it kind of boosted his spirits to hear her say that (even though it was brought to his attention that she said "we love you" as in their tribe and not "I love you").  Probst's reaction to that was priceless.  The eyebrows and eyes slowly raising before Billy dropped the bomb as to what he was talking about, then the look of both disbelief and amusement.  I sometimes wonder how Jeff can keep a straight face during TC.

Darrah! Now that's someone I would've liked to have seen on Second Chance.

Me too!

Edited by LadyChatts

Thailand is a miss, even if you don't factor in Brian's general scuminess. Between Robb, Ghandia, the non-merge, and Brian losing three votes on Day 39 to Clay (of all people), you find yourself agreeing with Probst in putting this season at the very bottom of the pile. Aside from Shii Ann, there's not much to see.

• Love 3