Type keyword(s) to search

Star Salvation & Episode Previews Talk

• Start Topic

On 7/11/2016 at 9:28 AM, spiderpig said:

^^This - and we got to see her "bubbly" temper when she was shown the door.  Buh-bye! (times 2)

She wants to be perky and bubbly but she really has a short fuse and can't handle any criticism. That's the kiss of death for a reality show on cooking. Frankly, I couldn't watch her even if she didn't lose her cool because her persona came across as phony and the giggle makes me cringe. And the fact that she equated a chocolate chip cookie with decadence, NO. Chocolate chip cookies are probably the most common dessert item in the US. She did not elevate it to a fine dining experience. I don't care if she sells a billion of them. McDonalds sells billions of burgers but nobody's going to consider them fine dining and guilty pleasure. I'm glad she bombed. I would watch a show about baking, but not if the host had her personality. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Oh shucks. I  moseyed over to the FN site, but it's so crappy that I can't even find the link to SS. I was only interested to see Mama Suzanne go out so quickly. 

When Suzanne was presenting, she couldn't even remember to call herself "Mama Chef Suzanne".  Truly, I'm surprised she didn't cry and wail "It's NOT fair" when she got chopped again.  "But it's my passion!!!!"  *rolls eyes*

I don't know why I even watch this segment, I can't STAND Jeff Mauro.  He's one who won for "personality"....and it's not a pleasing one either.  

• Love 1
(edited)

If I hadn't stumbled onto this link I wouldn't have known this offshoot was on.

I have a bag of mini-avocados.  How would I make Blake's avocado toast?  (Too lazy to research)

ETA: Toya's hair looks like somebody set off a mini-nuke on top of her head.  But I'd rather see her than Suzanne, who still couldn't get her tag right.

Edited by spiderpig
7 hours ago, spiderpig said:

If I hadn't stumbled onto this link I wouldn't have known this offshoot was on.

I have a bag of mini-avocados.  How would I make Blake's avocado toast?  (Too lazy to research)

ETA: Toya's hair looks like somebody set off a mini-nuke on top of her head.  But I'd rather see her than Suzanne, who still couldn't get her tag right.

What link?  I went to the FN site and under Star Salvation there were no videos.   

11 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

It was hidden here under "Snacks and Kitchen Hacks" as a 7:50 minute video:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/food-network-star/star-salvation#

What a stupid site.  Nothing under star salvation when I went there.  How the hell you found this is beyond me.  A peeve of mine is poorly designed websites.  There is no excuse.  There are so many good ones out there.   ARG.  

Nana, yes this is probably the last time we will see you.  OH and get some layers put in your hair.  

• Love 4
1 minute ago, wings707 said:

What a stupid site.  Nothing under star salvation when I went there.  How the hell you found this is beyond me.  A peeve of mine is poorly designed websites.  There is no excuse.  There are so many good ones out there.   ARG.  

Nana, yes this is probably the last time we will see you.  OH and get some layers put in your hair.  

I get persistent when I'm annoyed - especially over stupid web layouts.  It's not like we could view this On Demand, and it will be important to future eps of the network show.  (Wouldn't it be funny if Blake made it back to the mothership?)

FN must have fired most of their webstaff during their Bob/Susie housecleaning.  It's ridiculous.

• Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, spiderpig said:

How would I make Blake's avocado toast?  

Grill or roast some slices of a very large sweet potato (his slabs really were toast-sized, and about 1/4-inch or so thick).  But, unlike Blake, salt (and perhaps otherwise season) them!  Mash avocados with raw red onion and raw garlic.  Presumably there were some other seasonings in the (rather chunky) guacamole as well, but the raw onions & garlic were all they mentioned, and the onions were all we saw.  Spread the avocado mixture on top of the grilled sweet potato slabs, and top with a "simple tomato salsa," which appeared to be just chopped tomatoes with no other ingredients at all. Maybe some olive oil, lime juice, and salt, but no other visible ingredients, and I'm just guessing that he did something beyond cutting them up, since they didn't specifically complain about them.

I am not inspired to copy this.

The tip I got from the cashier at Trader Joe's last week was good,, though.  I bought some Trader Joe's Yuzu Hot Sauce on a whim, and she suggested toast with avocado and cucumber slices and some of that sauce.  Yup! It works.  I add a little salt and pepper as well, and sometimes rub the bread with garlic.  It doesn't really seem to matter what kind of bread I use - worked well with sourdough and with whole wheat toast.  

I found the video without difficulty, the same way I usually do: I googled Food Network Star Salvation.  That way I get to skip whatever else the FN might want me to see on their site.  Jeff Mauro annoyed me much more than I had remembered (smarmy!); Alex G. was fine.  Nobody excelled.  The pacing was weird - I thought at first I had missed the beginning of the video. 

Edited by akr
olive oil, not olives
  • Love 2

It's curious that the video didn't come up the same way for everyone.  I went to the FN main site, clicked on FNS from the Shows drop down menu and the video was right there at the top of the page.  It seemed to start while the cook off was already in progress and I also thought I'd missed something somehow.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, mlp said:

It's curious that the video didn't come up the same way for everyone.  I went to the FN main site, clicked on FNS from the Shows drop down menu and the video was right there at the top of the page.  It seemed to start while the cook off was already in progress and I also thought I'd missed something somehow.

I did that earlier today and got the header but the video space was blank.  Just did it again and it worked.  

20 hours ago, akr said:

The tip I got from the cashier at Trader Joe's last week was good,, though.  I bought some Trader Joe's Yuzu Hot Sauce on a whim, and she suggested toast with avocado and cucumber slices and some of that sauce.  Yup! It works.  I add a little salt and pepper as well, and sometimes rub the bread with garlic.  It doesn't really seem to matter what kind of bread I use - worked well with sourdough and with whole wheat toast.  

That sounds like a good idea. I have some of that Yuzu and I haven't quite found the right home yet, so that's worth trying. Thanks to you and your cashier!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

I did that earlier today and got the header but the video space was blank.  Just did it again and it worked.  

I checked the site while the show was still airing on the west coast. That might have been part of the problem, not spoiling west coast viewers, for once. I liked it better when we were all on the same feed back in the day. 

5 hours ago, wings707 said:

No video box for me. 

10 hours ago, akr said:

Hmm. This was my top result: http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/food-network-star/star-salvation

and the video was right there.  Fwiw.

This one worked for me. 

On 6/27/2017 at 7:50 PM, Sew Sumi said:

I liked it better when we were all on the same feed back in the day. 

Me too.  I try to avoid spoilers, but it's difficult on the West Coast.  (Shout out to Hawaii!!!)

I don't sleep anyway, so broadcast times don't matter to me.  (q.v. Super Bowl, Oscars, Emmys)  I want LIVE!  Or taped Live, but first broadcast.

(edited)

At least the internet has forced the Oscars, Emmys, and I think the Grammys to go live...at 5 for us west coasters to avoid complaints about spoilers. 

Finally got around to watching SS. That was anti-climatic; the two weakest got their asses sent home for good. 

Edited by Sew Sumi

Latest episode: Cao and Blake get the boot (again.) So we're left with Trace and Toya. I really think Blake should've stayed over Toya; her burger was raw. And Cao saying she couldn't tell if her burger was cooked? Don't they have thermometers?

• Love 1
(edited)

How on earth did two of the contestants manage to undercook burgers! The had over 15 minutes!

ETA As a regular viewer of Chopped, I think it's hilarious that Blake used uncooked red onions in both episodes.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2

I don't think Cao could have used a thermometer on her burgers since they were wrapped in egg roll wrappers. It'd be nice if they had time to do a test burger though. 

The others made patties that were way too thick for the time allotted.  They didn't have an excuse to not use a thermometer. But then again, I think they all used as much time as they could. Fifteen minutes to come up with an idea, mix up the stuff, get it on a grill, and get it plated isn't that long. 

While not perfect, I still prefer most of the cooking challenges on this show over the main one. 

• Love 1

So of the three, I think the right one went home for good.  Toya's dish looked good, but her presentation was not.    I actually thought Trace did a better job than Addie, even though they named Addie the winner.

• Love 2

I also thought Trace did better than Addie.  I was surprised by the decision.  I wasn't surprised that Toya was sent home.  She flubbed her presentation plus everything about her screams "Look at me!"  - ridiculous hair styles, green nail polish.  Ugh.  I'd never watch her.

• Love 2

Not thrilled with any of tonight's three.  Addie makes me feel agitated,  Trace is just out there, and David, while not offensive, leaves no impression whatsoever.

However I'd watch any of them over the dreaded Matthew.  (Can you imagine being stuck in an elevator with him, not knowing when you'd be rescued?).

• Love 2

I don't think I have ever eaten bread pudding.  Really.  I'm not a dessert person.  But Cory's looked delicious.  You know he'll be back in competition after next week.  It is written.

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, J-Man said:

Buh-bye, Addie! Why do all of the departing contestants say "this is not the last you'll see of me!" I feel like I'm being threatened!

Because its possible you may see then on either Masterchef or dare i say it,Hell's Kitchen lol

Edited by TDT
(edited)
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I don't care enough to watch, who is left?

I didn't watch but since Addie went home and Trace the week before which meant it was Addie, David and Cory cooking, I'd guess David and Cory (I thought Cory was destined for F3 or the win but he's SO lost in the headlights on this show that I wonder if they've changed their own minds?)

Does anyone on here know when this stops and the "winner" rejoins the active competition? Is it after they're down to Top 3 or Top 4 on the real show? IMHO it's all about Jason and anyone else is just the runner-up but still ...

PS ... Hope this is not inappropriate place to write this next question but I don't see ANY other thread that is a spoiler thread, and actually though I've pretty much been staying spoiler free, I am curious/need memory jogged ... they don't actually record the ENTIRE show (including winner) in advance, right? Isn't at least the finale closer to real time (not live maybe but not done until the very end?) ...

Has ANYONE seen any shots of a finale or anything where they've been able to suss out who might be in it to the end? I know we're stuck with Matthew and I'm guessing Amy might have made so much improvement (from the nowhere to go but up department) that she'll stick around since they have to have some estrogen. I find Rusty annoying but he seems like contender material. And AFAIK if Jason doesn't win this the fix really IS in because he's far and away the best single contestant they've had since Eddie (my secret heart). 

I'm just curious, really, who will be the person to lose to Jason LOL. Matthew? Maybe they have a deal with the devil with him and want to get him far enough to make him the decent food source host that you love to hate. Cory because he's pretty if you like that sort of look? Amy so they don't look sexist? Rusty because Lenny was a disaster and they need a big ol' boy? 

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
Adding spoilery question

Does anyone know the about the timing of the filming of "Star Salvation?" I assumed it was done relatively soon after the episode in which the new addition was eliminated, but if that's the case, why wasn't Alex on this episode in person? She had just been on FNS, right? Maybe they film all (or most) of the SS episodes toward the end of FNS?

2 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

PS ... Hope this is not inappropriate place to write this next question but I don't see ANY other thread that is a spoiler thread, and actually though I've pretty much been staying spoiler free, I am curious/need memory jogged ... they don't actually record the ENTIRE show (including winner) in advance, right? Isn't at least the finale closer to real time (not live maybe but not done until the very end?) ...

They may have done that when they were pretending "audience votes" affected the script (although since they were the ones reporting the "audience votes" they could have been written in, too)  but they dropped that fantasy so now they don't have to.  As to early leaks I seem to remember some dummy on the web crew put up an ad for Aarti's new show before she actually "won" but I could be wrong about that.

On 7/24/2017 at 5:51 AM, biakbiak said:

I don't care enough to watch, who is left?

Since Addie the Jazz Pianist left, Cory and David are the ones still left. So I wonder who's gonna get shown the doom of hell next week, or should I say, get back in the competition with Jason, Rusty, and the dreaded Balthazar Bratt.

Why didn't they tell us who the winner was in the video?

They never do.  They save the "big reveal" so the TV audience finds out when the winner walks out to rejoin the remaining contestants.  

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, mlp said:

They never do.  They save the "big reveal" so the TV audience finds out when the winner walks out to rejoin the remaining contestants.  

Oh, I thought they did notify the winner. I watched the first episodes of Food Network Star when they had people like Ina Garten and the infamous Paula Deen. When did they start Star Salvation?