Type keyword(s) to search

Star Salvation & Episode Previews Talk

• Start Topic

I finally watched the webisodes. Star Salvation reminds me of the old Food Network Star - it's mostly about cooking chops, with presentation skills thrown in. Plus, I learned something about food, which I always like. I've been around avocados for many years, but didn't know a thing about the different varieties.

I can't say I like most of the contestants better. I think I dislike Emilia even more (was it just me, or did her story about the avocado tree feel stolen from Rue?). But I have to say, I never would have believed I would feel sorry for Matthew, much less kind of like him. I did choke up a little during his teary exit. I agree with mlp that Matthew's was the only avocado dish I'd eat.

I have always liked Jeff, and Alex is clear and blunt without being unkind. I would like to see FNS move in this direction, though I know it isn't going to.

• Love 4

I always felt a FNS success story should be a regular mentor and Jeff is proving to be really excellent on here..he and Alex together are a great team.  Even Guy, for as obnoxious as he could be, everytime he has has appeared on the show helping the contestants in some way he's always been really good. These contestants can use regular coaching from someone who has been through what they are currently trying to excel at.

• Love 5

I knew I had heard of avocado cake before, so I started looking around.  I've found a bunch of vegan avocado cake recipes, and that makes a lot of sense.  Done properly, I think that could have been a winning dish - although I don't know that a microwave version could work.

• Love 1

I felt sorry for Matthew.  I didn't agree with him being sent home although I just love Alex and Jeff as hosts/judges.  Jeff is one of those slow success stories.  It has taken him much longer than Guy F. to branch out into other shows.  I have always felt that Guy, Giada and Bobby were preventing other talent from rising to the top, and not necessarily because the public didn't want that to happen.  I can only hope that the day is coming soon when the network will get a clue and change things.

A former FNS contestant once told me a story which confirmed for me that Bobby is an ass. As are most of the bigger name stars who appear on FNS, that have their own restaurants, etc. When they were on the show, Bobby was all helpful and nice....until this person told him about an idea for a show. Guess what show appeared soon after? Throwdown with Bobby Flay.

They told me to never pitch an idea to FN without a hoard of lawyers to cover your ass, because they'd steal your idea and you'd be left with nothing. And that Bobby went from being nice guy to telling this person they were worthless and would never be on any FN show. The person was a finalist in one season.

I don't know what the criteria is for being part of the FN "family" but it seems to be that you sell your soul to the devil to get a job there. I felt sorry for Matthew also. He was hard to like on the regular show, but here he was much more himself, I think. He might be grateful one day that they didn't keep him.

• Love 3

A former FNS contestant once told me a story which confirmed for me that Bobby is an ass. As are most of the bigger name stars who appear on FNS, that have their own restaurants, etc. When they were on the show, Bobby was all helpful and nice....until this person told him about an idea for a show. Guess what show appeared soon after? Throwdown with Bobby Flay.

They told me to never pitch an idea to FN without a hoard of lawyers to cover your ass, because they'd steal your idea and you'd be left with nothing. And that Bobby went from being nice guy to telling this person they were worthless and would never be on any FN show. The person was a finalist in one season.

I don't know what the criteria is for being part of the FN "family" but it seems to be that you sell your soul to the devil to get a job there. I felt sorry for Matthew also. He was hard to like on the regular show, but here he was much more himself, I think. He might be grateful one day that they didn't keep him.

NFNS started in 2005 and Throwdown came along in 2006, so it had to be an early contestant.  That does not surprise me though, that FN would steal ideas from contestants.  And Bobby has never come across as a nice guy to me.  He is far too arrogant which is part of why he is not a good mentor IMO.  Perhaps because he rules the network, he does not really want any of these people to succeed?

• Love 2

There was a finalist several seasons back, a white guy, who made the finals..pitched an idea for a show about using twitter/emails asking questions..he lost to I think Aaron McCargo.......he did end up getting air time on FN, but his idea was used almost immediately after the show by FN with somebody else hosting...

Yeah... another FNS finalist told me her idea of a show about old recipes her grandmother had, and how fun it would be to have a show about heritage recipes. Mo Rocca had the show within 6 months after her season on FNS ended.

(edited)

I watched Star Salvation and 20 minutes later couldn't remember which of the women had been cut (it was Emilia). I thought both were pretty meh, and although they said Rue got the nod for being more comfortable talking about her food, or presenting or it, or something like that, I thought that she was kind of unpleasantly shouty in her spot - in person I would have backed away a little to get away from someone not modulating their voice better - and it still seems like her version of Zimbabwean food is just mediocre British or American fare. This time, chili con carne with Texas toast that she "made" by slicing bread thick and grilling it. Yes, she added the surprise mandatory ingredient of sorghum syrup to the dish, and said something evocative (it's like syrup combined with coffee) to describe it, but she has not made Zimbabwean food sound interesting, nor has she persuaded me that she is an interesting cook in her own right. Emilia made a somewhat appealing salad of roasted and raw squash blossoms with a (rather blond) fried squash blossom, that overall looked ok but nothing special, and I'd say the same for her presentation. 

Dom officially got through on the strength of his food. I actually thought his presentation was the best, too, but they said he seemed nervous. I didn't really see it., and thought what he said and did was natural and intelligent, and the food actually sounded good, which is the key to keeping me engaged enough to not change the channel. I haven't seen the regular show yet, but I think they can get their six Sunday a.m. shows out of him without too much fuss, and then during that time see if they can't develop his ability to perform in other settings. I guess I'm not the target audience, though, or the failure to fill air time moments are just utter deal killers (which is certainly plausible). It's probably moot anyway, since Eddie is clearly easier to work with and easy to watch. I suppose some of the others still on have their merits as well. Rue is just there for gender balance, I think, at this point. 

Edited by akr
  • Love 3

I found it rather telling that Emilia was sacked for being too much of an instructor.  Also I'm all for watching cooks taste as they go so they can modify (good habit to learn), but I don't need to see them take a bite at the end.  And I find more "food expertise" in being able to say sorghum tastes like syrup with coffee WITHOUT taking a big gulp.

• Love 3

I found it rather telling that Emilia was sacked for being too much of an instructor.  Also I'm all for watching cooks taste as they go so they can modify (good habit to learn), but I don't need to see them take a bite at the end.  And I find more "food expertise" in being able to say sorghum tastes like syrup with coffee WITHOUT taking a big gulp.

And the last "real" winner of this thing, Damaris, is a culinary instructor.

They need to make up their mind, stop toying with us and get with a consistent program.

• Love 2

I can't get Star Salvation on my IPad, so I haven't seen it. Who is left there?

I have speculated that since there are only men left on FNS, that a woman would win SS and re-enter the FNS. Is Rue the only woman left? If so, I'm probably wrong.

Does your content provider have an app? I can watch Star Salvation on the Xfinity app on my iPad.

No, I have a 16gb (I think) IPad II. Memory is full can't delete the 500 or so books. (I'm a book hoarder, at least digital frees up the 8 book cases, lol.) I have Uverse for computer only, DirectTV for TV. My PC is ancient & full as well. I know I have to get a new one sooner or later, hopefully later.

I have speculated that since there are only men left on FNS, that a woman would win SS and re-enter the FNS. Is Rue the only woman left?

Rue is the only woman left and I hope to high heaven that they don't let her back in just because she's female.  She made a couple good dishes and had one decent presentation I think but, overall, she's been unimpressive.  In this last SS, she talked about her African heritage and then made chili con carne (supposedly made African by the addition of a little sorghum) and Texas toast.  She didn't get the message during regular competition and she still doesn't get it.

• Love 2

I watched Star Salvation and 20 minutes later couldn't remember which of the women had been cut (it was Emilia). I thought both were pretty meh, and although they said Rue got the nod for being more comfortable talking about her food, or presenting or it, or something like that, I thought that she was kind of unpleasantly shouty in her spot - in person I would have backed away a little to get away from someone not modulating their voice better - and it still seems like her version of Zimbabwean food is just mediocre British or American fare. This time, chili con carne with Texas toast that she "made" by slicing bread thick and grilling it. Yes, she added the surprise mandatory ingredient of sorghum syrup to the dish, and said something evocative (it's like syrup combined with coffee) to describe it, but she has not made Zimbabwean food sound interesting, nor has she persuaded me that she is an interesting cook in her own right. Emilia made a somewhat appealing salad of roasted and raw squash blossoms with a (rather blond) fried squash blossom, that overall looked ok but nothing special, and I'd say the same for her presentation.

I agree with you 100% and I came here to say pretty much the same thing.  I don't know what they see in Rue.  They get on Dom for not seeming comfortable but she seemed less comfortable and yes, "shouty".  She did not make me feel like I wanted to know anything about her or her dish.  I thought it was the worse offense to push the Zimbabwean angle but make chili and Texas toast.  That also should have put her behind Emilia.  I like Jeff and Alex but not loving this decision of theirs, although I am happy they saved Dom.

Dom officially got through on the strength of his food. I actually thought his presentation was the best, too, but they said he seemed nervous. I didn't really see it., and thought what he said and did was natural and intelligent, and the food actually sounded good, which is the key to keeping me engaged enough to not change the channel. I haven't seen the regular show yet, but I think they can get their six Sunday a.m. shows out of him without too much fuss, and then during that time see if they can't develop his ability to perform in other settings. I guess I'm not the target audience, though, or the failure to fill air time moments are just utter deal killers (which is certainly plausible). It's probably moot anyway, since Eddie is clearly easier to work with and easy to watch. I suppose some of the others still on have their merits as well. Rue is just there for gender balance, I think, at this point.

I agree with you about Dom.  I don't think he was any more nervous than Rue, in fact I think he was less so.  I felt like they were branding him with the same iron he came there with based on his past performance but judging him that way in this round seemed based on a a prejudice, not on his real performance.

I don't agree with you about Eddie, however.  I don't find him easy to watch.  He has too many Southern mannerisms for my taste.  I'm not a Southerner and so maybe I'm just not used to that and I'm not his target audience.  Paula Deen used to annoy me too on that basis.

• Love 2

No, I have a 16gb (I think) IPad II. Memory is full can't delete the 500 or so books. (I'm a book hoarder, at least digital frees up the 8 book cases, lol.) I have Uverse for computer only, DirectTV for TV. My PC is ancient & full as well. I know I have to get a new one sooner or later, hopefully later.

Off-topic for a minute, but sign up on BradsDeals.com and follow that site daily. I got a refurbed Kindle Fire for $55 from a company... can't remember the name.... but I was having the same issue with my iPad because I love to read and downloading them onto my iPad was hogging all the space. I check BradsDeals several times daily. Cannot beat the prices on things, I do my Christmas shopping year round there.

Also, sign up with BookBub.com, if you haven't already. Free digital books, or most under $3. I've amassed quite a library through them. :)

• Love 1

Off-topic for a minute, but sign up on BradsDeals.com and follow that site daily. I got a refurbed Kindle Fire for $55 from a company... can't remember the name.... but I was having the same issue with my iPad because I love to read and downloading them onto my iPad was hogging all the space. I check BradsDeals several times daily. Cannot beat the prices on things, I do my Christmas shopping year round there.

Also, sign up with BookBub.com, if you haven't already. Free digital books, or most under $3. I've amassed quite a library through them. :)

Thanks, I'll look at Bradsdeals. I already am signed up with BookBub, I have at least 100 books from them. The rest were from the (alleged) days of price fixing where books were $15-20 a piece. To curb my book addiction I only buy them with iTunes gift cards, so I'm limited to that amount monthly now.

I agree with you 100% and I came here to say pretty much the same thing.  I don't know what they see in Rue.  They get on Dom for not seeming comfortable but she seemed less comfortable and yes, "shouty".  She did not make me feel like I wanted to know anything about her or her dish.  I thought it was the worse offense to push the Zimbabwean angle but make chili and Texas toast.  That also should have put her behind Emilia.  I like Jeff and Alex but not loving this decision of theirs, although I am happy they saved Dom.

I agree with you about Dom.  I don't think he was any more nervous than Rue, in fact I think he was less so.  I felt like they were branding him with the same iron he came there with based on his past performance but judging him that way in this round seemed based on a a prejudice, not on his real performance.

I don't agree with you about Eddie, however.  I don't find him easy to watch.  He has too many Southern mannerisms for my taste.  I'm not a Southerner and so maybe I'm just not used to that and I'm not his target audience.  Paula Deen used to annoy me too on that basis.

I am not sure what Eddie has to do with Star Salvation, but what are "Southern Mannerisms"?  

• Love 1

Rue is the only woman left and I hope to high heaven that they don't let her back in just because she's female.  She made a couple good dishes and had one decent presentation I think but, overall, she's been unimpressive.  In this last SS, she talked about her African heritage and then made chili con carne (supposedly made African by the addition of a little sorghum) and Texas toast.  She didn't get the message during regular competition and she still doesn't get it.

I think with ten minutes of coaching and a couple more takes, she could have come up with a thing that makes sense. I think her actual POV is "from Zimbabwe, lives in Brooklyn," so she's adding an African twist to your old favorites, or interpreting the food of her childhood with ingredients you can get at your local supermarket. 

It just doesn't seem that hard to figure out from here, and I wish they had people telling them these things! I guess I miss the coaches. 

• Love 1

The thing I like about the remaining guys is that they all seem kind. I actually like them. Jay seeming critical in the talking heads this week doesn't concern me one iota -- I think that is very, very producer/interviewer driven.

Another thing I like about the remaining guys is that they seem to personally like each other.  This picture makes me happy for some unknown reason... https://twitter.com/arnoldmyint/status/626053786012745728

• Love 8

I really liked Emilia. I never thought she'd win but I thought she had a good job of being the returning contestant (they're not chefs). It better not be Dom. I didn't buy him as the underdog on the show (too smug and mean) and I won't buy him as the chef who deserves redemption. It totally should have been Emilia for her crazy sake-induced meltdown. But, I would accept Rue or god forbid Eddie (in case they want to amp up the drama but let him into the final 3 regardless). As for the twitter photo, I'd be fine with that outcome. It would be nice to have Rue or Emilia in there but Rue hasn't improved that much and Emilia's gone so of the remaining contestants, yes, let's just take out all the people I dislike.

I think with ten minutes of coaching and a couple more takes, she could have come up with a thing that makes sense. I think her actual POV is "from Zimbabwe, lives in Brooklyn," so she's adding an African twist to your old favorites, or interpreting the food of her childhood with ingredients you can get at your local supermarket. 

It just doesn't seem that hard to figure out from here, and I wish they had people telling them these things! I guess I miss the coaches. 

I do like Rue, and would really like to have her cook something really interesting - I love food from different regions. But I still don't know what Zimbabwean food is.

When Rue originally got the sorghum ingredient, am I mistaken, or did she say she'd never encountered it? Which was a strange comment given that when she presented she was all about sorghum being a staple for cooking in Zimbabwe.

• Love 1

When Rue originally got the sorghum ingredient, am I mistaken, or did she say she'd never encountered it? Which was a strange comment given that when she presented she was all about sorghum being a staple for cooking in Zimbabwe.

I don't think you are mistaken. I heard something similar. 

It just reinforced my belief that seventy five percent of the stories told by the contestants on this show are either highly embellished or totally made up. (Squash blossom???)

• Love 1
(edited)

Dom was at his food truck today and would've say if he comes back or not but said to keep watching.

Even if he comes back I doubt he'll win. He recently tweeted an article of an interview with him where he says things that I thought hinted around that he didn't.

Edited by cooksdelight

It's interesting that he knew he would struggle with the live portions. I'm wondering how long he knew he was a finalist before filming started, since with that knowledge he could have seen a psychotherapist for his social anxiety or someone regarding public speaking for a few visits first.

• Love 1

Lol yeah Katie's voice is like nails on a chalkboard and they keep trying to make her happen. She's rich, pretty and was married to a music icon so she's gotten a lot of doors opened for hee.But I think Jeff is going to be on with her so I'm gonna try my best to tune her out and listen to him heh.

• Love 2

I just saw two bad words in the Episode preview description in the thread for tonight's show....Katie Lee.  Ugh!!  How did someone with a voice like that ever get on TV?

Two words:  Billy Joel.

Or maybe four words.

Don't forget Andy Cohen was the first to hire her. She lasted one season as host of Top Chef. I think he actually tried to justify the hire by saying that she's a lifelong foodie! I mean, c'mon, how old was she?

He wanted Padma but Padma did not want the gig at that time.

So he probably ran into Billy Joel....

She is awful. Wooden. Stiff. Deer-in-the-headlights. I can't imagine she has improved.

And that doesn't explain why she is STILL ON TV.

• Love 2

She is awful. Wooden. Stiff. Deer-in-the-headlights. I can't imagine she has improved.

She's definitely improved since Top Chef, but I don't know anyone who could limbo under that bar.

• Love 5

Katie's voice is like nails on a chalkboard

I think so too but I think the voices of both Damaris and Ree Drummond are far worse and they both are doing well - or so I hear because I hit Mute as soon as either of them shows up and speaks.  And I like Damaris.  I can tolerate Katie Lee.

At least we won't have to watch Dom stare blankly and not say anything during his live event. That's almost as painful, for me. I find myself leaning forward and yelling "Say something!!!" at the TV and it scares my dog.

• Love 1

Well that sucked. We have to wait. Still, I'd bet that Giada is somewhere holding Jeff and Alex's family hostage until they send Dom back to her, so...

• Love 2