Type keyword(s) to search

Star Salvation & Episode Previews Talk

• Start Topic

Just saw the first one of season 10.

All I gotta say is... this Donna woman is a mess (and freakin NUTS). It's clear now that she DESERVED to go first.

Damaris and Geoff Z is kinda a nutty pair. The difference in their experience levels is kinda extreme.

I was weirded out though that Zakarian didn't know what Texas Toast is. It's pretty basic.

BBQ Guy was annoying as shit. Marti was... okay. Her "Marti Party" schtick was a bit more subdued, so I didn't mind it as much this time.

• Love 1

Geoffrey doesn't know a lot of things. Neither he nor Alex can pronounce macaron correctly.

Donna scared me. She is whacked. Waving her arms like Phoebe running in the park on "Friends"...

Marti is my pick to come back and play again, only because I've gotten to know her, and how FN works. She suggested that if I have a good idea for a show, don't tell them about it without getting an attorney involved because they will steal it.

Chad I'm indifferent about. He cleaned himself up this time around, at least. And he's another one who doesn't know as much as he'd like people to think, in my opinion.

• Love 1

Donna scared me. She is whacked. Waving her arms like Phoebe running in the park on "Friends"..

True, but I was rooting for her because I found her to be very easy on the eyes. (Didn't guess her to be forty two.)

All I gotta say is... this Donna woman is a mess (and freakin NUTS).  It's clear now that she DESERVED to go first.

Yes - reminds me of a co-worker whom I suspect has some mental health issues.   Donna seemed like she was trying too hard to be a "FUN personality" , using her hands and arms to illustrate EVERY WORD SHE SPEAKS.  

Chad I'm indifferent about. He cleaned himself up this time around, at least. And he's another one who doesn't know as much as he'd like people to think, in my opinion.

Yes, he acts like he's a big barbeque expert, but all he seems to know how to do is barbeque sauce on everything.

Donna seemed like she was trying too hard to be a "FUN personality" , using her hands and arms to illustrate EVERY WORD SHE SPEAKS.

Donna actually reminded me of Damaris (who won last year) because she kept doing that booby shaking thing to illustrate her words.

(edited)

Plus, "I'm going to be Food Network's Barbecue Guy!"  Does he not watch the channel?  They kinda have one already.

Edited by Totale
  • Love 2

Plus, "I'm going to be Food Network's Barbecue Guy!"  Does he not watch the channel?  They kinda have one already

They used to have a BBQ guy, but the Neely's aren't on anymore.  Pat Neely was a BBQ guy.  Bobby Flay is not a BBQ guy.   Grilling is not cooking BBQ.

I hate when those two things get mixed up.  

They used to have a BBQ guy, but the Neely's aren't on anymore.  Pat Neely was a BBQ guy.  Bobby Flay is not a BBQ guy.   Grilling is not cooking BBQ.

I hate when those two things get mixed up.  

By that (admittedly real world) measure, Chad isn't a BBQ Guy either.  He's not on TV putting meat on smokers for 20 hours.  He appears to be cooking food up however (admittedly because of the limits of Food Network Star's contest) and if it's Southern style/down-home style food, then it's part of his "BBQ Guy" brand. It could be worse.  It could just be him slapping BBQ sauce on everything.

With the limits on these people within the contest, it is hard to tell what they really do IMO.   I know the use of the term BBQ has different meanings in different regions of the country.    BBQ is not just a Southern thing though.  Those competitions are held all over the country.  

Chad was not a contestant that I was interested enough in to read up on outside of the show,

With the limits on these people within the contest, it is hard to tell what they really do IMO.   I know the use of the term BBQ has different meanings in different regions of the country.    BBQ is not just a Southern thing though.  Those competitions are held all over the country.  

Chad was not a contestant that I was interested enough in to read up on outside of the show,

I accept that BBQ has a fluid definition.   But the "Grilling is not cooking BBQ" came from your side of the discussion!

BBQ is Southern only in the sense that it's a deeper more pervasive culture icon there, and everyone knows that, and it's enough of one that people trying to shortcut the core reality of what BBQ is (meat smoking, regardless of where you do it) and just roll with the image can and will invoke southern food staples and imagery to imply "BBQ".  So cornbread? People toss it under "BBQ".  Texas Toast?  BBQ. Cole slaw?  BBQ. Certain preps of Baked Beans, Collard Greens or Mac and Cheese? BBQ (that doesn't mean they can't and aren't other things too--just that they can and will be plopped down on a table with someone saying "this represents BBQ".  

That's marginally better than the Food Conglomerate definition of BBQ.  "It has BBQ sauce on it".

I'm surprised that Martie was the one eliminated, I really thought it was going to be Chad. I bet Giada is keeping her fingers crossed.

Well, being an admitted BBQ idiot, I grew up (up North) with BBQ=cooking outdoors.  My guess is if you stopped 10 people at random in those areas of the country where BBQ is not a religion and ask "Did you cook barbecue last year?" they'd say the same.

I was surprised Zach let Chad go through at all, let alone without commenting that his smearing shit on the outside of a bird and rubbing it in dirt would do as much to "season the meat" as what he did, since I always heard chicken skin is impermeable to fluids.  Every other show where I've seen cooks treat chicken, they pull the skin up and get some of that goodness underneath where it will do some good.

A nice note from Martie on her FB page:

24 hours later and the sting has worn off a bit. See, this isn't just about a television show for me, I always considered this a job interview... and if I got the job, I'd have more of an opportunity to do things for others. Those of you who know me know that is my goal. Well, I'm still going to do it... I'll just have to find a different path.

I see so many of your comments here... thank you for the support and for letting the Network know you would like to see me in their programming mix. Many have also written me or emailed me to share the letters you've written to Bob or Susie. Thank you for sharing; I will treasure them always.

All my best,

Martie

Aw - poor Martie.  I can't say I was rooting for the "Martie Party" concept to win during her season, but she seemed like a genuinely nice person whom I would have watched if they'd have developed a different show for her.  I'd have been okay with her re-entering the competition. 

can't say I was rooting for the "Martie Party" concept to win during her season, but she seemed like a genuinely nice person

I don't know why nobody ever said anything about the fact that Martie Party sounds an awful lot like Aarti Party.

• Love 2

I was surprised that they let Marti go instead of Chad.  She has always seemed like a nice person who can do what she says she can do.  Chad looks a lot better with his new hairstyle but there's something seedy about him and he's arrogant.  I didn't think much of his chicken demo either.  I suspect that the end game is to get Luca back into the competition.  I really wish they'd never started copying Last Chance Kitchen.

Well, being an admitted BBQ idiot, I grew up (up North) with BBQ=cooking outdoors.  My guess is if you stopped 10 people at random in those areas of the country where BBQ is not a religion and ask "Did you cook barbecue last year?" they'd say the same.

I agree, I think it depends a lot on where you're from and who you grew up around.  I'm from Northern California and pretty much if it was cooked outside on something resembling a grill, it's BBQ. My grandparents mostly lived in Texas (BBQ country, yes?) and didn't consider something BBQ until it was cooked to shoe-leather consistency and drowning in sauce. 

Don't get me wrong, I DO love real, true, 'BBQ as a religion' quality BBQ!  I think it's fairly hard to find and define, though. I would enjoy a 'BBQ is sacred' style BBQ show, but I'd want them to be really specific about why it's different, and why they consider it true BBQ.  I wouldn't want them to be too pushy but I think it could make for an interesting show, and teach people some new 'Q' techniques.

I would enjoy a 'BBQ is sacred' style BBQ show, but I'd want them to be really specific about why it's different, and why they consider it true BBQ.  I wouldn't want them to be too pushy but I think it could make for an interesting show, and teach people some new 'Q' techniques.

There are several of those, I think.  Just not on Food Network.

I DO love real, true, 'BBQ as a religion' quality BBQ!  I think it's fairly hard to find and define,

Hard to find (in certain parts of the country),  Sure.  Hard to define?  It's a bit varied, but even still not THAT hard.  The requirement for the infusion of smoke into meat is not universal, although it's a core consideration of quality, arguably.  Slow cooking is not an absolute requirement either, although even what the true BBQ guys consider "fast and hot" is a far lower temperature than people at home do on their gas grills.  It's not a certain kind of meat (although people from Texas would like to define it as cooking beef and people from most of the rest of the South as cooking pork).  Cooking outside?  Not even close to a requirement.  

I think the core is 1.) some kind of meat, or possibly poultry 2.) INDIRECT heat--this is the main difference between grilling and bbq.  

That's it and the rest can vary.

• Love 1

Really, what qualifies Damaris to be a judge?  She just barely got the win last time.

I highly doubt that GZ and Damaris are making these decisions. In fact, I'd be very surprised if Bobby, Giada, and Alton are anything more than a front for "the network" with the episode decisions. They just play a role and deliver the news.

• Love 1

Yeah, when he had no obstacles thrown his way and still made a shitty mess of a dish, it read "look at me, they cast me for this show when I was minding my own business at Universal Studios, just waiting in line for the tram tour...."

• Love 2

I thought Chad was the worst in the interview, he wanted to cook with someone but he couldn't remember his name. Lame answer. Also, what did that have to do with cooking?

Just sort of watched the Redemption webcast. 

If I liked it, I would be annoyed about the two part format, but since it sucks, that is a mute point.

Why does wardrobe hate Demaris?  She's very pretty, but the outfits stink.  (And don't think it's weight - Ina always looks great.)

What is the point of bringing back BBQ Chad for the redemption program?  I hope he's getting paid well.

Shouldn't cooking be important?  If not cooking, then food knowledge.  I must not be the target demographic.

If you watch FNS and especially if you bother to go on the Web or hit On Demand for Salvation, you are square in their demographic.  This show is an end unto itself.  Its relationship to any other FN programming is tenuous and I would say unimportant.

If you watch FNS and especially if you bother to go on the Web or hit On Demand for Salvation, you are square in their demographic.  This show is an end unto itself.  Its relationship to any other FN programming is tenuous and I would say unimportant.

Star Salvation is on OnDemand? I didn't know this, I've been watching on my computer, & I don't like watching shows on my computer. Is it listed under FNS?

I was going to watch this on OnDemand, but it's not up yet & I didn't want to wait. Since next week is the finale of Star Salvation, I guess I'll keep watching on my computer. 

So Christopher is gone, gone. No big surprise.

(edited)

I was going to watch this on OnDemand, but it's not up yet & I didn't want to wait. Since next week is the finale of Star Salvation, I guess I'll keep watching on my computer. 

Wait, did they announce that somewhere?  I assumed they'd have the eventual winner get unfairly eliminated and then take a dip through the SS pool and come back to win like that woman did the first year of Last Chance Kitchen, but if next week is the last one they don't really have time for that whole script.

Edited by Totale

Sort of, we're friends on FB.

I had posted this in the episode thread, but it probably belongs here since it might be considered spoiler info. Then again....

I'm horrified at the thought that Lenny-the-Shtick is going to win this crapfest.

Keep an eye on Alton's tweets. I'm told that he will be pushing for whoever the eventual winner is, since he already knows who's in the finale. It's up to voters to decide the outcome, but he will campaign for whoever his favorite is.

Pardon my shallowness, but that was the best looking episode of Salvation.

If you close your eyes when Chad is on, maybe.  I find nothing about him either attractive or interesting.

(edited)

So I guess they're not outright stealing the first season of Last Chance Kitchen (that is, eventual winner kicked off and is redeemed due to Star S).  'Cause the odds that either of these guys who don't speak the English that good have been hired to host an English language cooking program, even by Kermit, are not great.

Edited by Totale

'Cause the odds that either of these guys who don't speak the English that good have been hired to host an English language cooking program, even by Kermit, are not great.

I'm not so sure about that.  I am sure that FN is aware of Fabio Viviani and his popularity and success since Top Chef and also that viewers really liked Luca Manfe on Master Chef last season.  FNS Luca is also cute and congenial and able to cook.  I don't find his accent to be a negative at all.  Quite the opposite in fact. 

What I was puzzling over is why Luca would be eliminated early on if FN wanted him to win.  I've begun to wonder if they did that to protect him from the kinds of competitions we've seen since his departure that required verbal skills.  Then they could bring him back for the win.  I guess that's too Machiavellian even for FN.  Whatever happened, I think he's earned his way back legitimately.  I don't think GZ and Damaris have handed him any win.

I am sure that FN is aware of Fabio Viviani

I've begun to wonder if they did that to protect him from the kinds of competitions we've seen since his departure that required verbal skills.

I love Fabio, but he can be hard to understand at times.  I think his popularity on TC derives as much from his snarkiness and wry sense of humor ["This is Top Chef, not Top Scallop"] as his Italian charm.  Luca seems much more sweet and innocent.  I don't really see that he had a problem with expressing himself, so I don't think there's a conspiracy to save him from verbal skills challenges.

Ugh, I should have realized that they weren't going to tell us who won until the show next week. I hate when they do that.

Is there any doubt it's Luca? It's clear they had a hard on for him since the beginning.  Zaky and Damaris are being good soldiers and shepherding him along.  They could even be going for the "returnee wins the whole show" plot.

Not that they're ever all that great as actual Chefs, but Food Network is definitely one to play follow the leader on the "Italian Reality Show Chef" bandwagon.  Plus, this particular one is eye candy for the ladies (a demographic FN caters to quite a lot).