Type keyword(s) to search

19 Things I Hate About You: How the Duggars Infuriate

• Start Topic

Wasn't the last book by the Duggar girls about courtship, dating, whatever?  Boy they were sure well informed since none of them knew anything about it.  I loathe the way they always talk, the Lord this and that, blessings, purpose to, blah blah.  Can they say a sentence without invoking their religion?  

• Love 2

Wasn't the last book by the Duggar girls about courtship, dating, whatever?  Boy they were sure well informed since none of them knew anything about it.  I loathe the way they always talk, the Lord this and that, blessings, purpose to, blah blah.  Can they say a sentence without invoking their religion?  

Basically, no. They honestly don't know anything else - the Bible is the only thing they read in depth, and the only thing they truly study. I remember thinking how in the world can the Duggar girls write a book on dating, courtship? At the time, not one of them had done anything remotely like it.

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 4

The Duggars don't know the Bible. They know a specially selected number of verses INTERPRETED (usually wrongly) by a very twisted and controlling man. Very few of the words that they use are actually Biblical. Some are standard American Fundy/evangelicalese but a lot of it is just Gothard brainwashing.

• Love 7

I know when I want cooking advice, I ask the person who has only ever made toast. I can't be the only one?

Great comparison! And like I said before, the girls preached on not getting infatuated & "giddy" over a guy. Don't think Jilly Muffin was following the rules while making her Derick countdown calendar on her mirror or getting the decorations & herself ready when he came home including her teenage squealing.
  • Love 5

Wasn't the last book by the Duggar girls about courtship, dating, whatever? Boy they were sure well informed since none of them knew anything about it. I loathe the way they always talk, the Lord this and that, blessings, purpose to, blah blah. Can they say a sentence without invoking their religion?

No because they're robots. Crushes are sinful yet Jill said she loves a man she hardly knew. Josh married for sex, and Jessa married Ben to get the hell out of there. The Duggar kids would never survive in the real world. They have no self control.

• Love 3

Great comparison! And like I said before, the girls preached on not getting infatuated & "giddy" over a guy. Don't think Jilly Muffin was following the rules while making her Derick countdown calendar on her mirror or getting the decorations & herself ready when he came home including her teenage squealing.

The real Duggar family motto: Do as we say, not as we do

• Love 1

Not to mention the "alarming transgression" at the airport leaving her a fallen woman by her own standards. Feet of clay, girls...

No because they're robots. Crushes are sinful yet Jill said she loves a man she hardly knew. Josh married for sex, and Jessa married Ben to get the hell out of there. The Duggar kids would never survive in the real world. They have no self control.

See, Id argue that they are pretty normal older teenage kids. Using whatever means necessary to be as normal as possible (have a crush, have sex, leave home.). It's only their mouths that are robotic.

• Love 2

I, too saw the "marriage retreat" in Puerto Rico the other day. I found it ridiculous that anyone would ask the Duggar girls to appear at a 15 year old's birthday and pontificate about relationships particularly since back then not one of them had EVER experienced even a friendship with a guy. It was entertaining for me to listen to Jill spout off about not losing your head or HEART over any guy...she broke almost every "rule" of theirs immediately with Derick. One cannot love someone that they do not know...so, she couldn't "love" someone she hasn't met yet..I think that was TLC script to describe just how giddy and far gone she already was. The staff and crew noticed right away what was going on there.

Those Duggar girls didn't speak at that party, they recited phrases that have been drilled into their heads by their Gothard beliefs and the made up system of their parents. Not one of them can speak a full sentence without pulling out that vocabulary book of theirs. Not an original thought in any of their heads, sad to say.

• Love 6

Don't get infatuated with a guy.   What is marrying the first guy you date but infatuation?   Sure its all wonderful and nice, but you have no basis of comparison.   You've barely even talked to other men, let alone dated, how do you know what you feel is love and not lust?    Honestly the courtship rules are set up to guarantee infatuation and lust, not finding your soulmate.

• Love 6

Don't get infatuated with a guy. What is marrying the first guy you date but infatuation? Sure its all wonderful and nice, but you have no basis of comparison. You've barely even talked to other men, let alone dated, how do you know what you feel is love and not lust? Honestly the courtship rules are set up to guarantee infatuation and lust, not finding your soulmate.

That's why you trust Daddy. He has your heart. When you court, that's him giving your heart to your new Daddy.

Eeeek! *shudder* I feel gross just reading that comment, haha!

I felt weird writing it. I'm really close to my father, but he stays out of my dating life, and I don't call him daddy. My mother who I'm not close to at all refers to her deceased father as Daddy. She's almost 70. It's weird.

I felt weird writing it. I'm really close to my father, but he stays out of my dating life, and I don't call him daddy. My mother who I'm not close to at all refers to her deceased father as Daddy. She's almost 70. It's weird.

I wonder if it's a regional thing. In the south we usually said daddy, mommy. My dids did too. But not with the Duggar accent. :-)

• Love 2

I wonder if it's a regional thing. In the south we usually said daddy, mommy. My dids did too. But not with the Duggar accent. :-)

I think it's the way it's said. Not so much accent, but you know, just creepy. It's like how my mother still calls cats, pussy. She's not so removed that she doesn't get she's creeping everyone out by continuously saying it, but she.still.does.

• Love 1

I think it's the way it's said. Not so much accent, but you know, just creepy. It's like how my mother still calls cats, pussy. She's not so removed that she doesn't get she's creeping everyone out by continuously saying it, but she.still.does.

I was referring to the creepy factor when I called it the "Duggar accent" LOL. It was not clear on my end, sorry.

Yeah, I like cats called cats too. LOL.

• Love 1

That's why you trust Daddy. He has your heart. When you court, that's him giving your heart to your new Daddy.

I think one of the reasons Boob had such a hard time giving Jilly Muffin to Derickdillard is that he knows he chose him for her. If things don't work out (don't think that will happen tho) she will throw it back at him that "you picked him out for me."

I thought it was creepy the way Boob & Jill were holding hands before they entered the auditorium at the wedding. She even said she was squeezing Boob's hand hard like she does Derick's. I know she was nervous but it reminded me of J & A's hand sex.

• Love 1

I think one of the reasons Boob had such a hard time giving Jilly Muffin to Derickdillard is that he knows he chose him for her. If things don't work out (don't think that will happen tho) she will throw it back at him that "you picked him out for me."

I thought it was creepy the way Boob & Jill were holding hands before they entered the auditorium at the wedding. She even said she was squeezing Boob's hand hard like she does Derick's. I know she was nervous but it reminded me of J & A's hand sex.

That is a good point.

I don't recall about the hand sex, but when I was getting to know my father, we started talking with hand squeezes. "I love you" was three squeezes, etc. I have no clue whether this is similar or not to what any of them are doing, but I thought I'd add this. One thing I am jealous of the Duggars is that their family sticks around. Although, I don't know what happens if they rebel. But, my father no longer spends time with me because it's too hard, but I still have to follow all his rules. It would be nice to have a support. But, Michelle is the weakest link in my mind. She's so enamoured with Daddy that she hardly registers the kids.

At least the kids have each other. It's like it's their blessing and their curse. I'm too damn "in my head" to be like them, but for their togetherness, I am jealous.

See, I don't know. Josh has already gone to DC, and I bet they see less of them as years go on. I'm betting Jessa lives with her in-laws. Jinger already has said she wants to live in a real city.

There will be some who stay. But whether this really is a close family or simply one that was isolated? Jury is out on that.

• Love 1

That is a good point.

I don't recall about the hand sex, but when I was getting to know my father, we started talking with hand squeezes. "I love you" was three squeezes, etc. I have no clue whether this is similar or not to what any of them are doing, but I thought I'd add this. One thing I am jealous of the Duggars is that their family sticks around. Although, I don't know what happens if they rebel. But, my father no longer spends time with me because it's too hard, but I still have to follow all his rules. It would be nice to have a support. But, Michelle is the weakest link in my mind. She's so enamoured with Daddy that she hardly registers the kids.

At least the kids have each other. It's like it's their blessing and their curse. I'm too damn "in my head" to be like them, but for their togetherness, I am jealous.

I don't get the feeling they're close at all. The children have been trained to tattle on each other. Michelle has said that if any Duggar child were to choose a different way of life, it would be "their loss". Michelle and Jim Bob would cut them off. She was very matter of fact about this.

I don't feel Michelle gives one fuck about her children, nor do I feel she even knows anything about them beyond a superficial level. They are her trophies. Just like Michelle is Jim Bob's trophy.

The feeling I get after watching the J'trophies is one of an orphanage.

• Love 5

The feeling I get after watching the J'trophies is one of an orphanage.

When someone puts the Duggars in a orphanage light I think of a line from Charles Dickens Oliver Twist: Please, sir, I want some more.

Moooore? You want MORE???

Well, only if it's ice cream that I can lick off you as you spill it down your scantily clothed elbow.

It will be reincarnated as X-Grandchildren and counting..

Moooore? You want MORE???

Well, only if it's ice cream that I can lick off you as you spill it down your scantily clothed elbow.

Off to the prayer closet for an overnight session for you.

But, Daddy! You'll have to teach me how to make your ice cream last all night.

...omg. That's the dirtiest thing I've ever "said."

To redeem myself, the thing that gets on my nerves about the Duggars the most is how they never get any alone time. They're probably rushed out of the bathroom. The closest they come is to multiple girls doing their hair in their room.

• Love 2

To redeem myself, the thing that gets on my nerves about the Duggars the most is how they never get any alone time. They're probably rushed out of the bathroom. The closest they come is to multiple girls doing their hair in their room.

This is horrible.... they have that huge house and couldn't even bring themselves to come up with more bedrooms. It makes me cringe every time I think of Jana at 24/25 sharing a room with 4 kids under 10. 

• Love 1

This is horrible.... they have that huge house and couldn't even bring themselves to come up with more bedrooms. It makes me cringe every time I think of Jana at 24/25 sharing a room with 4 kids under 10.

It was weird to me when Michelle said on that CBN house tour that the boys wanted to all be together. I wonder if the older boys also wanted that and what the girls said.

One thing I've always wondered is, what do they do if they have gas? Run outside and claim they saw a bee?

• Love 1

It was weird to me when Michelle said on that CBN house tour that the boys wanted to all be together.

Did the boys also ask for only like 2 or three bathrooms? Why would you build a house from the ground up and not put in like six bathrooms? 'Specially since you plan on having a huge family. Their rooms must stink.

• Love 2

It was weird to me when Michelle said on that CBN house tour that the boys wanted to all be together. I wonder if the older boys also wanted that and what the girls said.

One thing I've always wondered is, what do they do if they have gas? Run outside and claim they saw a bee?

Did the boys also ask for only like 2 or three bathrooms? Why would you build a house from the ground up and not put in like six bathrooms? 'Specially since you plan on having a huge family. Their rooms must stink.

I'm still not believing the kids said they wanted dorm rooms instead of a few separate bedrooms. Of course it was CHEAPER doing 2 big dorms. If the kids did say it, they were not old enough, in my opinion, to make this type of permanent decision. Even the Bates did separate bedrooms when they did their house makeover. Like we've said before, there was no future planning (more kids, the kids getting older, etc) when they designed the TTH. Since they are not the cleanest family, I agree --the boy's dorm & bathrooms have to stink!
  • Love 2

I hope Jessa blames her father for choosing Ben

I'm still not believing the kids said they wanted dorm rooms instead of a few separate bedrooms. Of course it was CHEAPER doing 2 big dorms. If the kids did say it, they were not old enough, in my opinion, to make this type of permanent decision. Even the Bates did separate bedrooms when they did their house makeover. Like we've said before, there was no future planning (more kids, the kids getting older, etc) when they designed the TTH. Since they are not the cleanest family, I agree --the boy's dorm & bathrooms have to stink![/quote

I think the kids had no say. JimChelle chose for them. JimChelle wants everyone together to reduce individually and for them to have sex without interruptions.

I think if the kids stick together and are shunned at least they will have each other. I don't think all of them are close. Some might feel jealously towards a few (Jill, Josh, or some of the boys) I suspect there's some tension between the older kids

I think the house has something like eight bathrooms.  There are two bathrooms per dorm room and one attached to the master bedroom.  There is one with the guest room.  There is a half bath off the dining room and one or two bathrooms off the playroom. 

TLC has those annoyng facts listed. One is that the Duggar house has 9 bathrooms and 7 showers. http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/19-kids-and-counting/lists/10-facts-about-duggars.htm  The thing that gets me about the design of the house is, all the wasted space because of the high ceilings. There was plenty of room, but they didn't use it. And the heat rising seems to be a waste, to me.

• Love 5

There's a guest room?    Why?   It's not like anyone wants to spend the night there.   Or is that where Grandma sleeps when they finally let her our of the laundry room?    If she has her own room, why not turn the guest room into another bedroom for the kids?   So that adult children aren't sharing not just a bedroom, but a bed with toddlers?

I think a lot of that has to do with JB's deal with TLC to complete the house. It would have cost a lot more to complete a full second floor with bedrooms for the kids. The high ceilings in the main room are an advantage for filming.

i think that the kids were "happy to share" a single dorm-style bedroom because the option was to wait for JB to finish the house -- which was never going to happen.

• Love 2

I think a lot of that has to do with JB's deal with TLC to complete the house. It would have cost a lot more to complete a full second floor with bedrooms for the kids. The high ceilings in the main room are an advantage for filming.

i think that the kids were "happy to share" a single dorm-style bedroom because the option was to wait for JB to finish the house -- which was never going to happen.

They torn their old house down before they moved into the bigger one. So if tlc didn't come in where we're they going to stay

I'm curious about the guest room. If Grandma uses that as her room, where do real guests stay? They must have overnight visitors once in a while. Where has Jennifer Hatano been sleeping? 

That house is creepy odd. Most of the kids were very young (or not yet born) when Michelle claimed the kids asked for the dorm bedrooms. If anyone was asked, I'm sure the questions was, "Boys/Girls, you all want to sleep in a big room together, DON'T YOU?" accompanied by Michelle's death stare. Not only is the open room construction cheaper, the kids can keep an eye on each other. Perfect.

• Love 5

Isn't the "guest room/suite" in the building that Ben's room is? On the first floor. Think that's where the Smuggars stay when in town--Thought Anna mentioned it once. I guess that's where the Hortanos stay or maybe they just stayed in the dorms when they were there. I wonder if they take reservations for the guest suite.

Yes, while Grandma Mary is in what was originally designate as the guest room, at some point maybe a year or more ago, they converted one of the sections (maybe just the downstairs?) of the warehouse in front of the house into a guest house as they called it. 

Ben's bedroom seems to be upstairs in the warehouse section next door to the guest house section. 

I just watched a Bruce Springsteen tribute concert on PBS. I wish Boob & MEchelle could have heard what he said about music. He said music is everywhere -it's the birds singing in the trees, it's the wind whistling thru the grass in your yard. Music is there to celebrate your good times and get you thru the bad. Just watching this show put me in such a good mood.

It's so sad Boob & MEchelle got to listen to all types of music growing up but have limited their children to only hymns/Christian songs & absolutely no dancing. They have brainwashed the kids that any other type of music & dancing is bad, it will bring on unrighteous thoughts & will lead you straight to hell.

Hopefully the kids will expose themselves to all types of music when they leave the compound & realize they won't go to hell by doing so. Derick & Jill going to the Broadway show is a start.

• Love 3

Isn't the "guest room/suite" in the building that Ben's room is? On the first floor. Think that's where the Smuggars stay when in town--Thought Anna mentioned it once. I guess that's where the Hortanos stay or maybe they just stayed in the dorms when they were there. I wonder if they take reservations for the guest suite.

They have one completed guest house ("Dishing with the Duggars" segments were taped there), and one that was under construction earlier this year. Speculation was that Bin was hired chiefly to help JD and Joe finish that project. I imagine it's done now; it may well be Benessa's new residence. Lord knows, Boob can't have his newest employee stray too far off the ranch. *eyeroll* And yes, his control issues underneath the "aw shucks" exterior annoy me no end.

• Love 1