Type keyword(s) to search

Movies That Would Make Great TV Shows

(edited)

I've watched a few movies that just don't have the time to explore all the possible ideas and might work well as a tv show.

I think Equilibrium which is a movie about a society where emotions are illegal would be an fascinating show. There were ideas that were hinted at but not explored. There's the assumption that a lack of emotion prevents crime and violence. But I think a show could deal with how a lack of emotion can lead to violence and crime as well. Sometimes the ability to feel compassion or guilt can prevent violence while no emotions and only cold logic could lead to a violation of someone else. The society is patriarchal in a very rigid way, and I can imagine women don't get to be into positions of power. I think the movie missed an opportunity by not having the leader of the resistance be a woman. Also the oppressiveness of this society could have parallels to real life stories. Plus, many people would probably love not having to deal with emotions like heartbreak. So the resistance wouldn't just have to worry about the authorities, but people who want to remain repressed rather than deal with difficult emotions. Are there times when no emotions is a good thing? Exploring questions like that is something I'd like to watch.

The movie My Blueberry Nights would make an interesting anthology show. The story is about a woman suffering from heartbreak who starts wandering around the country sending postcards to the coffee shop owner whose in love with her and the people she meets along the way. A tv show would allow viewers to meet the people she gets to know on her journey, and their stories. The New York coffee shop would anchor the show and allow for some regular characters to be showcased. There are so many stories that could be told with that format. Also I'm enchanted with a love story where someone is willing to wait as long as the one they love needs to be with them.

I think the movie Big Girls Don't Cry They Get Even would be a great premise for a family dramatic comedy.  It's about a teenage girl whose parents have divorced and her dealing with their remarriages with various step children.   I loved that the lead was a no makeup, t-shirt, and jeans type of teenage girl which you don't get to see on tv.   There were some interesting family dynamics that could get years of material for a show.

I think Chronicle could be an amazing tv show. I loved how the movie managed to have a surprisingly realistic take on three teenage boys getting super powers. The found footage format might not work for a tv series. A combination of traditionally filmed scenes and clips the boys are shooting could work really well. Plus, others could have discovered what the boys did and have powers too like on Misfits. I think they'd be tons of story potential. It's a better villain and hero origin story than Smallville.

Author Author was a movie starring Al Pacino whose wife has left him.  She has a pattern of falling in love with a guy, marrying him, having a child with him, and running off with a new guy.  Every time she leaves a husband she drops the kids off with their fathers who don't seem to want them until she marries her new guy.  This time is different because the kids are sick of the constant upheaval, and Al Pacino despite not being biologically related to most of the kids is the only parent who seems to really care about them.  The kids would rather stay with him than with their mother and her new guy or their fathers.  I think a dramatic comedy about this guy trying to cope with heartbreak while fighting to hold on to custody of his step children could be really interesting.

D.E.B.S could be a really fun show.  I get a kick out of a campy spy school.  The series could have them deal with tons of fun spy plots and outrageous super villains.  The Amy/Lucy romance would happen at a slower pace but the show should be more of an ensemble where everyone gets the chance to have a story.  The show should be structured like Degrassi so students would graduate from spy college, and new students would already be there to transition into lead characters.

Edited by Luckylyn
  • Love 2

Similar to how The Sarah Connor Chronicles took off on and expanded on the Terminator movies, I'd be entertained, I think, by The Matrix movies getting the same treatment.  In this case, either with Neo not being any part of this story, or in the mode of how TV Sarah Connor was probably a better actress than Movie Sarah Connor, a recasting.  Either way, I don't think Neo should be the protagonist--at most he'd just be a background element.

Not sure what split I'd have between "blue pill"  vs. "red pill".  I guess it depends on who the protagonist is.

I think a show based on Streets of Fire could be really fun and interesting.  The movie had this wonderful weird combination of 40s, 50s, and 80s era elements, but it totally worked.  Directors, screen writers, set designers, and costume designers could have so much fun building this world.  Plus, music would have to be a big part of the story telling just like in the movie.  The show would take place wherethe movie left off with Cody and Mccoy driving from place to place taking jobs as mercenaries. 

• Love 1

Warner Brothers has become about the tenth different company to option Dragonriders of Pern and they sound like they're serious about finally bringing the series to film. Lessa is pretty on trend as a strong female protagonist in a non-modern world setting after all (though Pern was never quite distopian). So if you've got the rights to everything Pern, might be profitable to spin off the Menolly/Harper Hall part of the series to television where it really does seem to scale nicely for a smaller screen.

• Love 1

Maybe take The Lego Movie, and follow a different mix of characters. Put it on as a winter break alternative /companion to Galavant ( depending on if that gets a second season.) The Lego Series could have other characters take the lead and we could revisit Western Town or where UniKitty lives or  maybe even have Metalbeard show up!  Even if you can't get the more famous folks who did the voices, there were so many characters to still have stories to be told.

• Love 1

I think a show based on Streets of Fire could be really fun and interesting

I remember this film fondly.  It could be interesting to bring it to weekly TV, but I hope they don't screw up the music and borrow from various genres as much as much as they borrowed from different decades of fashion and settings in the film.

I think Chronicle could be an amazing tv show. I loved how the movie managed to have a surprisingly realistic take on three teenage boys getting super powers.

I thought the same but my mind went to the film, "The Covenant".  Plus there turned out to be 5 witch boys.  I would tweak the premise so that using their powers too much wouldn't necessarily be "addictive".

"I Am Number Four" played out like a pilot TV movie so I could see that as a series as long as it builds everything up properly and leads to the ultimate climax of the alien kids defeating the bad guys who took over their planet.

"Sky High" was also a likeable film and I could definitely see it done as a lighthearted weekly series.  Plenty of opportunities for heroes, villians, guest stars (Lynda Carter as Principal Powers!!  Bruce Campbell as gym teacher, Boomer) and of course, superpowers and living up to being a "super".

"Fletch" is another film I always thought would have made a good TV series. 

"K-9" I think could have worked if the writing and casting of the character of Matt Dooley (Jim Belushi's character in the film) was done correctly.  There was a pilot made back in the early 90s but it was a virtual remake of the big screen version and they recast Dooley with an actor who didn't fit. 

"Kuffs" also had potential I thought.  A snarky but resourceful private cop who takes over his brother's police force and stumbles into trouble in SF.  He would do quite a bit of asides to the viewer, but in the film, it was part of the charm.

"Kuffs" also had potential I thought.  A snarky but resourceful private cop who takes over his brother's police force and stumbles into trouble in SF.  He would do quite a bit of asides to the viewer, but in the film, it was part of the charm.

I remember that movie.  That could be a fun premise.

Maybe take The Lego Movie, and follow a different mix of characters. Put it on as a winter break alternative /companion to Galavant ( depending on if that gets a second season.) The Lego Series could have other characters take the lead and we could revisit Western Town or where UniKitty lives or maybe even have Metalbeard show up! Even if you can't get the more famous folks who did the voices, there were so many characters to still have stories to be told.

Galavant *got* a second season; that was announced last May. They're in the process of filming it now, in England (filming began in mid-August), & it should begin airing in January, I think--or at least early next year. (I follow Timothy Omundson on Twitter; he plays the evil-ish "King Dick [Richard]" on the show &, before that, played Detective Lassiter [aka "Lassie"] on Psych, & he's been Tweeting, off & on, about the filming).

• Love 2

It would make a good series with the right cast and showrunners who know and can bring the tone of the books to the show. Although I recommend they keep the casting for Ranger; that was spot-on.

I agree with everything you said, except I always pictured Ranger as someone who looks similar to a younger version of  Joe Manganiello or someone close to his likeness. I pictured Stephanie as a younger Sandra Bullock, Grandma Mazur as Cloris Leachman, and I actually agreed with the casting of Sherri Shepherd as Lulu. jmho

I think that a TV version of Kingsman: The Secret Service, about a British spy agency that's not MI:6, would be great on BBC America, FX or HBO. They could do episodes based on recruiting/training new agents, going on international missions and even working with other agencies like Interpol, MI:6 or even the CIA. The episodes could start with a voiceover of the Kingsman  history that was done by Agent Galahad in the movie.

Hudson Hawk.

That wasn't even a good movie.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 2

Are rom-coms out of style these days?

How about Hitch? A "date doctor" helps men (and women?) with their love lives -- the 'case of the week' part -- while he navigates his own. And yes, I want the lead to be black. In the movie he works alone, but the show can add one or two assistants. Maybe he has to deal with rival matchmakers?

• Love 9
On April 17, 2016 at 4:30 PM, Trini said:

How about Hitch? A "date doctor" helps men (and women?) with their love lives -- the 'case of the week' part -- while he navigates his own. And yes, I want the lead to be black. In the movie he works alone, but the show can add one or two assistants. Maybe he has to deal with rival matchmakers?

I would love this.  Make it happen please. 

• Love 4

Well I got my wish to see Time after Time come back, but was surprised to see return in a tv series format. Not sure how they are going to keep it running

I love the cult classic Near Dark about Western vampires. I always wanted to see a prequel of that film -- after reading an article that stars Lance Hendrickson and Bill Paxton discussed this too. Now that I just finished Stranger Things,  I'd love to see Near Dark back but keeping  it like Kathryn Bigelow's film. Western noir. Bonus if they use Tangerine Dreams for the music.

Edited by AstaCharles
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

Rob Thomas (VM, iZombie) is developing The Lost Boys remake for CW.  The twist is that they follow the vampires over 70 years with each season equaling a decade, starting in the 60's.

This is actually a really cool idea. If it starts for the 2017-18 season (1960's) the 7th season (2020's) will air in in 2023-24, so pretty much "real time." A cool concept, I hope he pulls it off!

• Love 1

So,

Rush Hour: The TV show  vs.  Lethal Weapon: The TV show

As far as the movies are concerned, the Rush Hour franchise, IMO BTW, took the complete opposite buddy cop concept

that had completely turned stale by the third (let alone fourth) Lethal Weapon film and completely reinvented it.

Don't get me wrong, the formula ran its course by its third film as well.

I was just very surprised that the first Rush Hour breathed new life into the concept.

But as far the shows are concerned, I really didn't find the Rush Hour series very funny at all.

It said something when the best parts involved what the cousin (Jerald??) was doing each episode.

The Lethal Weapon series may be brand new but I believed

I laughed more times during just the first episode than I did during the entire season of Rush Hour.

• Love 2

After seeing/loving the movie The Nice Guys on HBO last night, about two LA private eyes trying to solve a woman's disappearance in 1977,  I think it would make a great spin-off series. The episodes could not only have 70s-based pop culture references, they could have 70s-themed cases based on topics such as feminism, racism, draft-dodging, cults,pot smuggling and "key parties" (aka swinging), to name a few. The episodes could also have titles based on 70s themes or songs, such as the pilot being called "The First Time (Ever I Saw Your Face)," holiday-themed episodes like "Bicentennial Minute" for the 4th of July or "Welcome To My Nightmare" for Halloween.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, memememe76 said:

I always thought Joy Luck Club as a tv series would work so well. The multigenerational cost, the flashbacks, the longer storytelling, the family and friendship dynamic, would be really compelling in long form. 

I think the CW should have remade Dynasty with an all Asian cast.

With China replacing Russia as the Big Bad in a lot of shows, I guess that helps with Asian casting. 

I love the idea if a Joy Luck Club series.

• Love 8
On 4/17/2016 at 4:30 PM, Trini said:

So basically you're saying "Bring back" Fantasy Island / Love Boat and have Hitch be Mr. Rouak / Capt. Stubing.  I'm picturing 2 or 3 couples an episode, Hitch is hired to bring them together, "dramatic tension' in the middle, and Hitch solves it and a happy ending.  Yeah, basically, Fantasy Island / Love Boat, only it's a hip black guy on the island of Manhattan.  But hey, Love Boat and Fantasy Island produced huge ratings (even bigger than Seinfeld and the rest of Thursday night Must See TV) so maybe this is what we could use now.

• Love 3

Bad Times at the El Royale -  The movie was great and the hotel itself was such a great setting.  There were some unaswered questions that left room for more stories.  I think a tv show prequel set during the hotels busy period would be really interesting.   I’d love to learn more about exactly who “management” is.   The show could combine long term stories involving the staff and management and also one episode stories about the guests who stay at the hotel.

• Love 2