Type keyword(s) to search

Where Are They Now?: SYTYCD Alumni's Current Projects

• Start Topic

Really great video from Phillip Chbeeb going a bit viral

Thanks for that (and the next one it led me to), kitcloudkicker:

I enjoyed it tremendously and now will probably spend the rest of my evening looking up his videos.

I get so irritated when everyone and their grandmother, especially on singing shows, is called an "artist".  However, Chbeeb actually deserves that title --- I can't think of too many other former contestants who I'd rank as high as that.

• Love 3

I've flown Virgin America a few times recently, so now I think of Chbeeb, and Cyrus, and Christopher Scott as being from their safety video! Good times.

On the Afterbuzz episode for the "Top 20", Eliana Girard (S9) was the guest. As mentioned on page 2 of this thread, she's been on Taylor Swift's tour. She also got engaged recently.

Eliana shared that after she won SYTYCD she kind of felt "empty" and that she hadn't quite realized what she had got herself into, with her whole world changing. Though she found the after-tour amazing, especially meeting the fans, she also felt pretty "empty" and was kind of a "hot mess" (her words). Her boyfriend broke up with her around that time, and she said that she sometimes found herself in tears while performing on stage. After the tour, she still struggled, committing self-sabotage (Kristyn Burtt's words), fearing that in her later dance gigs people would say that she wasn't as good as she was on SYTYCD. But touring with Taylor Swift - having that steady job - helped her get back on track and she seems like she is taking some other steps to take care of herself.

You can hear her talk about it in the episode at about minute 46:00.

• Love 2

Thanks for bring that link, dcalley. That makes me feel a quite good. Especially the piece on Anthony Burrell (S07). I was so pissed off about his rejection. 

Someone in the episode or special episode thread was asking about Katee's friend and that article answered that question. It surprised me how many of the dancers who didn't make the top 20 were still asked by the likes of Mia and Mandy Moore to be a choreographic assistant on the same season from which they were rejected (as well as later ones)

• Love 1
(edited)

I was laid up with a sprained ankle this weekend and spent a good chunk of one afternoon looking up past contestants on Instagram. Here's what I found:
-Tadd Gadduang (S8) is dating Pauline Mata (S6), or at least he was as of the beginning of the year.
-Bridget Whitman (S11) toured with the Bad Boys of Dance, as did Carlos Garland (S10). Jourdan Epstein (S11) is touring with the show in Europe.
-Casey Askew (S11) is dating Makenzie Dustman (S10)

-Curtis Holland (S10) is modeling for Capezio and performing in "Guys and Dolls" at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival.
-Hayley Erbert (S10) is touring with the Houghs' Move Live tour, as are Randi Evans (S5) and Rudy Abreu (S11).

-Jordan Casanova (S8) is touring with the national tour of "Wicked."
-Malece Miller (S10) is touring Europe with violinist Lindsey Sterling.

-Malene Ostergaard (S11) seems to be working primarily as a model.
-Miranda Maleski (S8) toured with German singer Helene Fischer, as did Mitchell Kelly (S8).

-Nico Greetham (S10) is/was in "Newsies" on Broadway.
-Phillip Attmore (S6) is in "On the 20th Century" on Broadway.
-Ricky Jaime (S8) is in "Pearl," a show based on the life of Pearl S. Buck.

-Serge Onik (S11) is touring with "Sway" and appears to be dating Rumer Willis.

-Teddy Coffey (S11) has danced on "America's Got Talent."

Edited by Alison
  • Love 4

This is almost two years old, but I hadn't seen it before. It's followup on a few dancers who didn't make the top 20 (or 11) in years past.

Thank you for this!!! Not only does it answer the question of what happened to Katee's friend (in an earlier post), It's good to know that some of the choreo assistants we don't recognize are previous contestants. 

I was a huge Anthony Burrell fan.

• Love 2

Thank you for this!!! Not only does it answer the question of what happened to Katee's friend (in an earlier post), It's good to know that some of the choreo assistants we don't recognize are previous contestants. 

I was a huge Anthony Burrell fan.

I know it's dance moms (yes I watch it religiously because I am trash for bad reality TV) but have you seen him in Dance Moms? He choreographs a fair bit for a rival studio and is featured in a lot of episodes, it's really great :) I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but Chehon and Blake McGrath also choreograph for the same studio at a certain point.

• Love 1

Thank you for the article link and the list of what other contestants have done.  I know that Anthony has also appeared in Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition as a choreographer.  Yes, I'm admitting that I watch Dance Moms.

• Love 1

I know it's dance moms (yes I watch it religiously because I am trash for bad reality TV) but have you seen him in Dance Moms? He choreographs a fair bit for a rival studio and is featured in a lot of episodes, it's really great :) I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but Chehon and Blake McGrath also choreograph for the same studio at a certain point.

I happened to see an episode with Blake, but I didn't know about Anthony (or Chehon). Thanks!

• Love 1
(edited)

Part Deux, because I can't concentrate on work!
-Neil Haskell (S3) is in "Hamilton" the musical, along with Thayne Jasperson (S4) and Ariana DeBose (S6).
-Sara von Gillern (S3) will be performing with We Are Heroes crew on ABDC.
-Faina Savich (S3) just graduated from Fordham Law and is an attorney in New Jersey.

-Gev Manoukian (S4) is in the treadmill dance crew featured on AGT and skated in Fantasy on Ice in Japan.

-Marquis Cunningham (S4) is in the Bad Boys of Ballet, who were on AGT last year.

-Kherington Payne (S4) is in a movie called "Bravetown" with Maria Bello, Josh Duhamel and Laura Dern.

-Jessica King (S4) teaches spin at a Soul Cycle-esque place in NYC.

-Chelsea Traille (S4) danced in "Ted 2."

-Jason Glover (S5) is also in the Move Live tour.

-Kupono Aweau (S5) is touring with Madonna on her "Rebel Heart" tour.

-Tony Bellissimo (S5) toured with Chris Brown.
-Jakob Karr (S6) dances in and around NYC but also has become INCREDIBLY ripped and isn't shy about posting pictures of his body on Instagram.
-Ryan and Ashleigh De Lillo (S6) have an adorable daughter. He toured with DTWS Live, and they both seem to be personal trainers/fitness instructors of some sort.

Edited by Alison
  • Love 7

Great "work" Alison.  I just want to check to make sure you are referring to Chelsea Traille in the info below...

-Chelsea (S4) danced in "Ted 2."

I learned a long time ago not to assume anything (I try hard not to, but assumptions sneak in sometimes, regardless). My assumption was that you would know the correct spelling for both Chels from S04, but Chelsie Hightower gets so many different ways of spelling her name I decided I'd better ask.

• Love 1

Great "work" Alison.  I just want to check to make sure you are referring to Chelsea Traille in the info below...

Chelsea Traille was also in the movie Burlesque with Cher and Christina Aquilera, as was Julianne Hough.

• Love 2

Katee is an an instructor with the Manhattan Dance Project along with fellow alums Kent Boyd, Evan and Ryan Kasprzak, Melanie Moore, Amy Yakima and Ade Obayomi.  Katee also was in the  movie Leading Ladies which had Benji Schwimmer in it and she choreographed the 2103 movie Stepping High which was pretty decent and had some good dance routines.  It had Kent Boyd, Ryan Ramirez and Brandon Beltran among the cast members.

• Love 1
(edited)

I totally appreciate your OCD/aversion to work being channeled towards SYTYCD research!Great "work" Alison.  I just want to check to make sure you are referring to Chelsea Traille in the info below...

Adding my thanks, Alison!  Your sprain is our gain!  (and hope you feel better soon.)

I adore the news of Casey and Makenzie as a pair (loved their contemporary together, it was so joyous).  Also, a very long time ago, I decided to read The Good Earth by Pearl Buck and I hated it.  However, I love Ricky so much that he even makes a play sound appealing.

Must remember to watch ABDC when it comes back!  It looks as though the full episodes are available on mtv.com , although I can't seem to find an index.  Here's the very first episode ever :

http://www.mtv.com/shows/dance_crew/americas-best-dance-crew-ep-1-the-battle-begins/1580739/playlist/#id=1580739

Edited by ToxicUnicorn

I learned a long time ago not to assume anything (I try hard not to, but assumptions sneak in sometimes, regardless). My assumption was that you would know the correct spelling for both Chels from S04, but Chelsie Hightower gets so many different ways of spelling her name I decided I'd better ask.

You would be correct - Chelsea Traille! I'll probably go back at some point and add in last names for the dancers.

Gev is in a treadmill crew (whatever this is it sounds AMAZING) and did Fantasy on Ice? My love for him just intensified.

Here's a video of them in action...pretty impressive stuff!

http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/video/the-treadmill-dance-crew/2870308

Leading Ladies was really bad. It also had Courtney G. and Sara von Gillern.

It sure wasn't a classic :-) but it did have a hilarious, campy, over the top "stage mama" performance by Melanie Lapatin, Tony Meredith's long-time dance partner. For 10 years they ruled in competition and she is always in in demand as a choreographer.

• Love 1

You would be correct - Chelsea Traille! I'll probably go back at some point and add in last names for the dancers.

Here's a video of them in action...pretty impressive stuff!

http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/video/the-treadmill-dance-crew/2870308

*Cries because NBC hates Canadians* but I looked it up on Youtube and they're amazing! Also found clips of him skating/dancing and it was glorious. Thank you for the link! :)

• Love 1

Bringing this over from the Media thread.

Allypenguin wrote: I don't remember seeing if it was posted here but Kherington was in another movie

It looks really...not great, but good for her.

SYTYCD leading ladies seem to need a name starting with the letter K.

Found this interview with Chelsie Hightower while searching for something else. It seems she's finding work where she can. She choreographed the one below. It's pretty much a commercial, but it's for a Design Show. Jaymz Tuaileva (Season 2) is one of the other dancers.  The interview is a mix of talking about what she's doing and talking about SYTYCD Season 12. She'd love to come back as an All Star. Hope she gets to, but I'm not getting my hopes up due to the general lack of ballroom this season.

Here's her choreography. It's for modular furniture. (hey, Philip Chibeeb did one for IKEA).

Edited by Anothermi

She doesn't have a strong involvement with DwtS, does she? She hasn't been on in multiple seasons. Also, they had Dimitri choreograph a group number when he couldn't appear on TV due to his DwtS contract, so Nigel doesn't seem to have any problems bring back dancers who have been on DwtS as long as there's no contract conflict.

Quest Crew--including Ryan (S1), Hok and D-Trix (both S3)--has won ABDC's Best of the All-Stars.

I've been watching it. I loved Hok and Dominic. (I'll never be able to call him D-Trix. hahaha!) They're SO good!

Darn. I missed it. We're Fanny Pak or Blu Print on?

No. Winners only (with one exception). We Are Heroes, Super Cr3w, I.aM.mE, Elektrolytes, and Quest. The final team, Kinjaz, was composed of members from JabbaWockeeZ and Kaba Modern.

Caught the 1st episode. I recognized a few that I first saw on SYTYCD:

Quest Crew leading the pack with 3 - Ryan (S01 & I still love him), Hok and Dominic (S03) already mentioned above.

I.aM.mE would be tied for SYTYCD Alumni if Jaja weren't busy ;-P ... Philip (S05), Emilio (S11), and

We Are Heros (all female crew) had Sarah Von Gillern (S03) and Marie Poppins (whose auditions were featured S11 & S12). Great to see Sarah again.

Edited by Anothermi
  • Love 1

Just saw where Ernest "E Knock" Phillips will be competing on this season of The Amazing Race. E Knock was a hip hop dancer and SYTYCD alum who I don't believe ever made it to Vegas, but had his initial auditions shown in at least two different seasons.

He's running w/ his brother who also has a dance background...and they currently work about 8 jobs between the two of them.

• Love 2

Caught the 1st episode. I recognized a few that I first saw on SYTYCD:

Quest Crew leading the pack with 3 - Ryan (S01 & I still love him), Hok and Dominic (S03) already mentioned above.

I.aM.mE would be tied for SYTYCD Alumni if Jaja weren't busy ;-P ... Philip (S05), Emilio (S11), and

We Are Heros (all female crew) had Sarah Von Gillern (S03) and Marie Poppins (whose auditions were featured S11 & S12). Great to see Sarah again.

Darn, I wish I'd realized Sarah was in We Are Heroes. I loved her. I went to the very last show of the S3 tour in Reno and ran into her in the hotel. We chatted for a few minutes, and she's really nice. The Triplets of Belleville number is one of my favorites.

In addition to Philip and Emilio, I.aM.mE has kind of a "stepsister" relationship to SYTYCD. Tam Rapp (and her twin sister, Tiara) dance(d) with 24-7, home of Mark, Pono, and Cole. The Rapps had also previously been on ABDC as part of 8 Flavahs (along with Camren Bicondova, the adolescent Catwoman on Gotham).

• Love 1

Just saw where Ernest "E Knock" Phillips will be competing on this season of The Amazing Race. E Knock was a hip hop dancer and SYTYCD alum who I don't believe ever made it to Vegas, but had his initial auditions shown in at least two different seasons.

He's running w/ his brother who also has a dance background...and they currently work about 8 jobs between the two of them.

YAY! The first season we saw him audition was S3. He was there with a friend, Jamal, and the two of them had one of my favorite auditions ever. Nigel had ask Jamal if he could do more than street dance, and Jamal said yes. Nigel said ok, come back when you're ready to do it, and this was the result:

http://youtu.be/D7fmqgSIsL0

S3 had a lot of memorable auditions, like Brandon the clogger, and I think that was the first time we saw the New Orleans bounce guy who auditioned again this season.

Ack, sorry, wandered off topic -- I'll be so happy to see EKnock again, and am already a big Amazing Race fan. Can't wait to tell my sister. Thanks for sharing that!

• Love 2

YAY! The first season we saw him audition was S3. He was there with a friend, Jamal, and the two of them had one of my favorite auditions ever. Nigel had ask Jamal if he could do more than street dance, and Jamal said yes. Nigel said ok, come back when you're ready to do it, and this was the result:

http://youtu.be/D7fmqgSIsL0

OOOOh. Thanks for the link. Why couldn't those kind of auditions be shown when a milestone is celebrated??? (instead of the never gone Sex.) I couldn't bring E Knock to mind when you first mentioned him. The guy seems to be a real go-getter.

In addition to Philip and Emilio, I.aM.mE has kind of a "stepsister" relationship to SYTYCD. Tam Rapp (and her twin sister, Tiara) dance(d) with 24-7, home of Mark, Pono, and Cole. The Rapps had also previously been on ABDC as part of 8 Flavahs (along with Camren Bicondova, the adolescent Catwoman on Gotham).

Jumping off from the 24/7 reference, I got a "targeted" sidebar advertisement (while web surfing) that finally acknowledged my constant googling of SYTYCD trivia... An advert for 24 Seven Dance Convention touring the mainland this fall and next spring.

The Faculty has SYTYCD alumni tWitch and Jaimie Goodwin and SYTYCD choreographer Sonya Tayah. Tangentially (or "stepsister-ly") related is Kyle Robinson who was part of the Travis & Friends "reality" show All The Right Moves.

• Love 1

I'm no longer paying enough attention to the numbers to know them by name, so here's a link to Wave, which is the S11 all-boys group routine where they wear flowing harem pants.  Hooray for Zack!  (the still image below is weird, the actual video is correct.)

Edited by ToxicUnicorn

Thanks to Dusang for asking about this show and to Warriorgirl & Bella for ensuring we got the video.

Not sure why the video isn't showing up as embedded here. Anyway, no subs that I could find.

ETA: This kind of thing drives me nuts, so I played around with it and got this - I hope it's the video you wanted. I think your problem was with the "embed" feature, which we don't need here. PM me if you want to discuss further - Bella

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1IsVttxM6U

The discussion - and some other video clips - are way back on page 4 of this thread, but I just ran across the one posted above today and started watching it. There are a lot of interesting dances - from both the US team and the China team. It's a long video (1 hour 20 min) and will not be for you if you have low tolerance for listening to the Chinese language, but I've only watched about 25 minutes and have seen interesting new dances with Philip Chibeeb (& male partner), Sasha Malory and Billy Bell (who I did not recognize), Fik-shun & Jasmine Harper and Paul Kamiryan (with Britney Cherry & two other dancers I don't recognize). Paul looks the hottest I've ever seen him. 

The set up of this part of the show (I haven't seen the first 2 parts) has one "team" being called to the stage - alternating USA/China - who then draw an envelope with a number that designates which dancer group from the other team they will compete against. So it's not necessarily same genres. They each dance and then the 5 judges - only one of whom doesn't speak in English - indicate with a blue or red star which team they preferred. Most give a brief explanation why.

So, if you enjoy watching the dancers-we-know do new routines, and also enjoy new and often creative dances from another country, this may be worth your viewing time. I recommend it. Philip's routine won against a ballroom trio (Latin, I believe, but I'm no expert), Billy and Sasha lost by one vote to an interesting male duo whose routine may have received the "not masculine enough" critique if they performed it for the US auditions. It appears that is not the problem in China? But Sasha  & Billy got critiqued for their gender neutral costuming/makeup, so, different gender expectations? Found that quite interesting, but the judging panel come from various countries so I can't draw any conclusions about Chinese attitudes.

Surprising to me was Fik-shun and Jasmine Harper getting no support from the judges when they went up against a contemporary duo (admittedly great). The audience seemed to love Fik-shun and Jasmine as much as the contemporary duo, so the judging bias was clearly pro-"stage".

It's over of course, and I don't really care who won. I'm just really happy to see these new routines by known and unknown dancers. The international nature of the SYTYCD franchise is something Nigel CAN (and should) pat his own back about. A little intermingling of choreographers might give a boost to our ailing version. As long as it's NOT a "this country against that country" competition set up. It takes away from appreciating everyone's dancing. I'm less than one third the way through this part (3 of 3 and I haven't seen 1 & 2) and I already suspect the Chinese judge of only voting for the Chinese teams - which is true for the 3 that I've seen, but is a subjective and unpleasant/unwanted intrusion to my general enjoyment of the dances!

Give it a look. Save it for later viewing and come back to it if it's too long for a single sitting.

Edited by Anothermi

Jumping off from the 24/7 reference, I got a "targeted" sidebar advertisement (while web surfing) that finally acknowledged my constant googling of SYTYCD trivia... An advert for 24 Seven Dance Convention touring the mainland this fall and next spring.

The Faculty has SYTYCD alumni tWitch and Jaimie Goodwin and SYTYCD choreographer Sonya Tayah. Tangentially (or "stepsister-ly") related is Kyle Robinson who was part of the Travis & Friends "reality" show All The Right Moves.

Danny Wallace on faculty also trained Nick Young from S8 (when SYTYCD wasn't ready for tap!).

• Love 1