Type keyword(s) to search

Where Are They Now?: SYTYCD Alumni's Current Projects

• Start Topic

So many of the contestants on SYTYCD have gone on to do awesome stuff, so here is where you can post about what they're up to now!

In this behind the scenes video with Hit the Floor's Devil Girls, you can see Courtney Galliano in the second part. Allison and Tiffany are also on the show:

(edited)

Oops!  I didn't see this thread and posted in the wrong place:

Has the new "Twitch's Present for Ellen" video been discussed anywhere yet?  I see quite a few alumni: Twitch, Allison, Courtney, Fik-shun, Jasmine, maybe Marco?  Can anyone recognize any of the others?

Also, I followed hulu's suggestions and watched the first episode of The Next Step, which looks like a very silly teen show about competition dancing, and saw Stacey Tookey in the previews for future episodes!

ETA: continued wasting my time by watching the first episode of Sing Your Face Off (which is funny-stupid, not stupid-stupid, at least to me) and, lo and behold, Tabitha is the choreography coach.  SYTYCD alum everywhere!

Edited by ToxicUnicorn

There are, of course, all of the SYTYCD alums who have been on DWTS.  This year is it was Artem, Whitney, Jenna, Lindsey and Maleece (in one number). In the past, they've had Lacy, Chelsea, Dimitri and probably others that I'm forgetting as well as some alums choreographing some of the pro numbers.  The person who seems to be a mystery is Katee.  I'm sure that others won't agree but I've always felt that she was the best all around dancer in SYTYCD's history.  She danced brilliantly and could really sell a number emotionally.  Her partnership wih Joshua was gold but her dances with Twitch (the famous "door" number) and others were also outstanding.  You just don't hear much about her these days.

Took a gander (or should I say google) and discovered our Katee choreographed a movie called Stepping High. Came out in 2013, not yet available on DVD. Kent Boyd and Ryan Ramiriez are also in it. Check out

(edited)

I know season 6 winner Jeanine Mason has done some acting since her SYTYCD days; she's had bit parts in Bunheads and awkward.

Edited by Alison

Mark no longer dances for Gaga. However, he and his boyfriend/ fellow ex-Gaga dancer Jeremy Hudson are on the cover of the current Dance Spirit magazine.

I watched Gaga's Madison Square Garden show on HBO and Mark was just teriffic.  His quirky dance style was perfect for what Gaga was doing during that tour. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I saw a movie earlier today and there was a preview for Step Up: All In, and tWitch has a line in the trailer.  Don't know how big his part is in the movie.  He's billed as Stephen Boss.  Looking at the cast list on imdb, I see Christopher Scott, Philip Chbeeb, and Cyrus Spencer.

Edited by Rick Kitchen
(edited)

Sara Von Gillern was a backup dancer for Miley Cyrus (pre-twerking).  Eliana is dancing in Taylor Swift's Red tour.  Brandon dances for Britney Spears in Vegas.  Several have danced in Glee.  Many have danced with Travis in his Shaping Sound troupe.  I think the biggest thing this show does is give these dancers an opportunity to make connections to get into auditions for things they wouldn't have before the show. 

ETA, many were in the Emmys 2013 dance performances with the Emmy featuring the nominees for Choreographer.

Edited by njbarmaid

Video of this week's Hit the Floor dance routine (Allison's solo starts at 0:39):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2YfnUz7nyU

Normally only the three main characters get any sort of solo in the routines (although occasionally they will let one of the other dancers do something back handsprings or something) so this is a big step up!

Hey, I thought I saw a very brief shot of Season 1's Kamila Barret in there at 1:40. But I've always stunk at picking individual dancers out of crowds.

(edited)

Yeah, Melanie is playing Peter Pan in Findind Neverland, the musical adaptation of the movie. Mia Michaels is the choreographer for that. It's not supposed to officially open until July 23. 

Edited by Turkish

Speaking of Broadway, Evan Kasprzak from season...five(?) has been in Newsies for quite a while now. 

And while it's not a dance project, Lauren Froderman just started weekly vlogs, which in addition to her boyfriend Dom (season three, also a youtuber) have featured brief cameos of other dancers from the show. It's nice to see that so many of them are close in real-life. The alumni network seems like one of the main perks of this show. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Speaking of Broadway, Evan Kasprzak from season...five(?) has been in Newsies for quite a while now. 

I saw Newsies on Broadway with Evan, Jess LeProto and Thayne Jaspersen. Alex Wong was in the original cast but was already gone by the time I saw the show. IMHO, Jess was a standout in the cast. His dancing, in person, was stunning.

Edited by luvthepros
  • Love 5

It's not supposed to officially open until July 23.

So if Melanie is in the ensemble, this means she won't be an All-Star yet again? (Fingers crossed. I can't stand her "dancing.")

• Love 4

Yeah, the fix was in for Melanie her season. She got a disproportionate amount of dances that she was considered good at (jazz, contemporary). Every once in a blue moon they gave her something out of her speciality (disco e.g.) and it showed.  Plus she was paired with the excellent Marko and her all-stars were also strong (Neil in the Total Eclipse of the Heart dance e.g. - he literally and figuratively carried her).  I hated her as an All-Star because the judges would spend most of critique praising her (while she faked humility, poorly) while the poor contestant stood there as an afterthought.

Anyway, I don't remember if she got a Broadway routine in her season, so I'm surprised she was picked for this (I suppose Mia had a lot to do with it). I thought her performance at the Tonys was awful - jerky and s******. Sure, a lot of it is the choreography but a more graceful and fluid dancer would have done a better job.

• Love 1

Speaking of Jess, I'd LOVE to have him back as an all star. He just lights up the stage when he's dancing and I love the flourish and grace in his dance. But it's doubtful since he's not a favorite of TPTB and he's probably busy with Newsies.

• Love 4

Just from Googling, it seems that most everybody is doing better than, say, most of the ANTM alumni, in that none of them are known to be hooked on crystal meth or in jail for anything.  Working dancers, teachers, etc., which is really no more and no less than I would have expected from them had they never been on the show (but for the fact that I wouldn't have known whose names to Google).

As far as I'm concerned, another day that Courtney Galliano isn't dead is a good day for us all.

• Love 1

Phillip Attmore, one of the tappers from S6, also danced at the Tony Awards. He was in the After Midnight number.

Chehon and Witney starred in a low-budget movie called East Side Story in early 2013. The choreographer of the film was Brandon of S5. Russell, Tadd, and Comfort were also in it, as well as Matt Marr and Jordan Clark of SYTYCD Canada.

The movie's Facebook page just announced that there will be some type of tour in which you can see the movie and take lessons from the dancers. I'm not sure if Witney's DWTS contract will prevent her from participating. It would look kind of bad if she doesn't promote the film b/c she's getting top billing as the star.

I wish this movie could be seen on video demand. I'm really curious to know how it turned out, even if it's awful.

My daughter dances competitively and she has been taught by Cyrus, Kent, Alex, and this winter Amy from last season at conventions. The instructors demos are incredible.

• Love 2
(edited)

DWTS isn't the only member of that franchise that has taken pros from the ranks of SYTYCD.  Its British parent, Strictly Come Dancing, currently has Pasha, Anya, Jeanette Manrara, and Iveta Liukosute on its roster (at least I think Anya's still on the show) -- and Artem was a pro for a couple of years over there as well before he transferred to DWTS (in fact, he won in his very first season).

Edited by legaleagle53
(edited)

Some are even going international. Lauren Gottlieb (Season 3, Neil's partner), of all people, appeared on the Indian version of ancing with the Stars called Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa. She was a contestant last season (Season 6) and apparently went far, from what my mom tells me. And this season (Season 7) she's got a special segment with a partner(?), where they are laying down the challenge for the contestants in the next season. I am kvetching at having to watch Lauren on Indian television too (though she grew a tad on me as an all star), but she has been dancing well. 

I'm going to try to link to the videos, may not succeed. (Also, please to ignore the hyperbole).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPovbeWMK7o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzwrJkW_WGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74qTl-BUVg0

I'll link the one I really liked when it's up on youtube. 

Edited by romantic idiot

Hello, from the now defunct TWOP boards. I said I would update on what Jasmine Harper did in her career over there before the boards went down. She has been one of the busiest since the tour ended. I know her and a few of the others immediately did a Reebok show. She then did some appearances with Ciara. A Degree spot for the Grammy's (which I think facilitated her now deal with Degree). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAuffuvgms4 She also did some other dates with her.

She and a few other sytyycd dancers did a Ray Leeper choreographed piece for a charity event. She then was chosen by Anthony Burrell and a few other notable choreographers in the industry to be the featured dancer in the opening run of the revamped "Jubilee" show in Las Vegas. She starred as Delilah alongside Anthony Burrell as Samson. http://web.stagram.com/p/693087000289956397_257383667

She's done some modeling for MAC cosmetics and commercial spots for Bounce Tv. She's now one of Usher's dancers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpXgBivSwTs

She seems to be quite in demand in the industry right now.

• Love 2
(edited)

This Anthony Burrell is the one who got cut in Season 7 right? I'm so glad he's doing well too. 

I'm not surprised at Jasmine's success. She's a gorgeous dancer, she's gorgeous and really accessible too. IMO, of course. 

Edited by romantic idiot
  • Love 1

Jaymz from Season 2 has been dancing with Cher, both in Vegas and during her recent tour.

Allison and Twitch got married at Nigel's estate.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ariellecalderon/allison-holker-and-twitchs-wedding-sytycd

http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/12/11/allison-holker-twitch-boss-wedding-married/

Enjoyed seeing a bit of the wedding reception.  I wouldn't have recognized Gev if he hadn't been named, but I was disappointed with the poster's errors and/or omissions of many of the other SYTYCD alumni.  

- Dancing with Travis was the gorgeous Will Wingfield

- The person identified as Harry Shum Jr. didn't look like him at all

- I thought one of the bride's maids looked like Talia Fowler (winner of S2 SYTYCDAU) but it probably isn't her

I know there is more, but that's all I can come up with right now.  

RE: Jaymz.  He was dancing with the DWTS Troupe pretty regularly for a few seasons.  Don't know if he was this past season because I dropped out from lack of interest.  (I'll youtube routines at some point probably.)

Billy Bell is a dancer with the Cedar Lake Contemporary Ballet company (or was, I might have to check to see if he's still with them) but he's mostly moved behind the scenes, focusing on choreography. He's the founder of two dance ensembles and he is currently a faculty member/assistant choreographer for the JUMP Dance Convention.