Type keyword(s) to search

Where Are They Now?: SYTYCD Alumni's Current Projects

• Start Topic

47 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Neill Haskell, who has been in the original Broadway ensemble of Hamilton since the pre-Broadway run is now playing King George in the Philip tour!

He left Hamilton for a few months in the late winter/early spring 2016 for the musical Tuck, but then returned to Hamilton. I was lucky enough to see him in both productions. I’m thrilled that he has a featured role in one of the touring companies! I’m not sure, but I think Thayne Jasperson may be the only person who’s been in Hamilton continuously.

• Love 1

I saw West Side Story last night on Broadway. Ricky Ubeda is usually one of the Sharks and understudies Bernardo, but we saw him play Bernardo and he was fantastic! Amar Ramasar Is supposed to play Bernardo, but has been the subject of protests so not certain if he was actually unavailable or if there will be a casting change. The play officially opens on February 20th.

That is awful news.  I couldn't find anything about it online, but it's interesting that I immediately assumed it was suicide.  I always wished him well, but watching the little bits we could see of his life unfolding, I always felt that he was in a lifelong struggle.  I hope that wasn't the cause of death.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, crowceilidh said:

That is awful news.  I couldn't find anything about it online, but it's interesting that I immediately assumed it was suicide.  I always wished him well, but watching the little bits we could see of his life unfolding, I always felt that he was in a lifelong struggle.  I hope that wasn't the cause of death.

I think you're right. I remember there was one time a couple of seasons ago when Travis was choreographing or guest-judging and Nigel made a comment to him along the lines of keeping Danny in his thoughts. There was a lot of speculation about it at the time, it sounded like Danny was in a bad place.

But no matter what the cause, I'm just so sad that the world has lost such a great dance talent. There was nobody on SYTYCD that ever came close to him.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Incredibly sad news from Travis

Danny was such a beautiful dancer. I always wished him well.

He was such a beautiful dancer, and obviously very loved. What a tragedy at such a young age, no matter the cause. Millions will remember not only the joy, but also the pathos, the beauty, and the wonder of his talent. He will be missed.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Incredibly sad news from Travis

Danny was such a beautiful dancer. I always wished him well.

5 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

4 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I think you're right. I remember there was one time a couple of seasons ago when Travis was choreographing or guest-judging and Nigel made a comment to him along the lines of keeping Danny in his thoughts. There was a lot of speculation about it at the time, it sounded like Danny was in a bad place.

But no matter what the cause, I'm just so sad that the world has lost such a great dance talent. There was nobody on SYTYCD that ever came close to him.

1 hour ago, xtwheeler said:

He was such a beautiful dancer, and obviously very loved. What a tragedy at such a young age, no matter the cause. Millions will remember not only the joy, but also the pathos, the beauty, and the wonder of his talent. He will be missed.

Here is the article from E! News:

https://m.eonline.com/news/1129085/danny-tidwell-s-death-mourned-by-so-you-think-you-can-dance-stars-and-other-celebs

I'm really glad it wasn't suicide and thanks for the post from Benaym which answers quite a lot of questions as well.  I watch his samba with Lacey every once in a while because it just blows my mind every time -- guess I'll be crying next time.  I wish he had got comfortable with being in the public eye and stayed there a little more than he did.  It was so stupid that he didn't win that season.

• Love 8
On 3/7/2020 at 8:28 PM, crowceilidh said:

I'm really glad it wasn't suicide and thanks for the post from Benaym which answers quite a lot of questions as well.  I watch his samba with Lacey every once in a while because it just blows my mind every time -- guess I'll be crying next time.  I wish he had got comfortable with being in the public eye and stayed there a little more than he did.  It was so stupid that he didn't win that season.

He definitely should have won his season.  I also love that samba with Lacey and all his solos.  He was one of my favorite SYTYCD dancers of all time.  RIP Danny.

• Love 5

Beautiful, beautiful Danny. This is so very sad. I, too, have watched and re-watched the Danny/Lacey samba (and the Alex/Twitch hip-hop) over the years because it’s so special. I’ve loved many, many dancers on SYTYCD, but if you forced me to name a favorite, it would be Danny.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, Babalu said:

Beautiful, beautiful Danny. This is so very sad. I, too, have watched and re-watched the Danny/Lacey samba (and the Alex/Twitch hip-hop) over the years because it’s so special. I’ve loved many, many dancers on SYTYCD, but if you forced me to name a favorite, it would be Danny.

I love watching those two dances too.  If I had to name a favorite, it would also be Danny with Alex as second.  Both beautiful dancers in their genre.  However, the two dances you mentioned showed their versatility.

• Love 3

It seems like I’m seeing him everywhere lately! There’s a brief shot of him in the trailer for In the Heights, and he’s in a commercial I’ve seen several times (can’t remember what it’s for) in which people are swiping their cards for you at the subway entrance if you dance.

• Love 1
On 3/9/2020 at 2:11 PM, realdancemom said:

He definitely should have won his season.  I also love that samba with Lacey and all his solos.  He was one of my favorite SYTYCD dancers of all time.  RIP Danny.

Danny is my all-time favorite SYTYCD contestant. I've rewatched some of his routines dozens of times. This is so tragic 😞

• Sad 1
  • Love 3

An article explaining the character of The Bullet in Hamilton - this is an example of savvy marketing by SYTYCD alumna Ariana DeBose (who can be seen in the live version of Hamilton currently streaming on Disney+). While she was in fact selected by Hamilton choreographer Andy Blankenbuehler to be the one to hold the bullet, Ari was the one who started marketing herself on social media as "the original Bullet in Hamilton."

The info was taken from this 2016 interview with Ari

• Love 3

Ariana Debose is a major star.  After playing 'The Bullet" in the original Broadway cast of Hamilton, she co-starred in The Donna Summer Musical and was nominated for a Best Featured Actress Tony Award. She is currently starring in Ryan Murphy's film version of The Prom on Netflix (it's terrific) and is playing Anita in Steven Spielberg's new movie version of West Side Story now due out around Christmas of this year.  Not bad for someone who, while she didn't win on SYTYCD, paid her dues and is now a big name in the business.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, cali1981 said:

Ariana Debose is a major star.  After playing 'The Bullet" in the original Broadway cast of Hamilton, she co-starred in The Donna Summer Musical and was nominated for a Best Featured Actress Tony Award. She is currently starring in Ryan Murphy's film version of The Prom on Netflix (it's terrific) and is playing Anita in Steven Spielberg's new movie version of West Side Story now due out around Christmas of this year.  Not bad for someone who, while she didn't win on SYTYCD, paid her dues and is now a big name in the business.

FYI - if you scroll back 1-2 pages, there are a bunch of links and interviews about her!

5 hours ago, MsTree said:

Alison Boss (Twitch's wife) 

...aka Alison Holker Boss, incredibly talented dancer and SYTYCD All-Star in her own right.  (Sorry.  I adore Twitch and wish them much happiness in their marriage, but I don't want it overlooked that she's much-established as more than his wife.  I'll pull my little feminist head back into my shell now.)

• Applause 1
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, ElleryAnne said:

...aka Alison Holker Boss, incredibly talented dancer and SYTYCD All-Star in her own right.  (Sorry.  I adore Twitch and wish them much happiness in their marriage, but I don't want it overlooked that she's much-established as more than his wife.  I'll pull my little feminist head back into my shell now.)

ITA!

• Love 1
On 9/27/2021 at 12:39 AM, RedElf said:

I aw the road production of Hamilton today, and Ryan Kasprzak is the Dance Supervisor.

Cool! I can’t quite figure out what’s going on with the tour(s) now, but before they shut down, there were 3 in the U.S. - the Philip tour, the Angelica tour, and the And Peggy tour. Neil Haskell had become King George in the Philip tour, but if there’s only one now, I don’t know whether he’s still in it. (He was in the ensemble when I saw it on Broadway but was not in the movie on Disney+ because he’d left for a featured role in another musical, which closed shortly thereafter. He came back to Broadway, but his absence was right at the time they were filming.)

On 3/10/2020 at 1:06 PM, Babalu said:

I'm coming to this news very late in the piece but I'm so sad to hear it.  Danny's my all-time favourite SYTYCD contestant as well.  I've never forgotten what a stunning dancer he was and so very young to die. :(  

• Love 1