Type keyword(s) to search

Where Are They Now?: SYTYCD Alumni's Current Projects

• Start Topic

On 12/18/2017 at 1:23 PM, Mason said:

I think I spotted EvanK!

I looked for him but didn't see Evan K. There is some guy who may resemble Evan a little though.

Asaf Goren is on the new season of "Worst Cooks in America" on HGTV.

• Love 1
On 2018-01-08 at 10:52 AM, Mason said:

At 3:46. That's not Evan?

I saw a guy in a black turtleneck who slightly resembled Evan, but wasn't him.  Evan has a very quirky face and that guy didn't.

This is Evan.

image.jpg

Edited by Anothermi
added pic
  • Love 1

I was watching the Finding Clara webseries after Christmas and who should I see but Jim Nowakowski from S12! He joined the company of BalletWest a few months ago. According to this article, BalletMet offered him a position with the company before SYTYCD but he decided that he wanted to audition for the show and see what happened. You can see him in the rehearsal footage in episode three of Finding Clara (he talks about working with the ballet students and specifically the Clara dancers beginning at the 15:33 mark). He played several different Nutcracker roles this year (Nutcracker Prince, Chinese Doll, Russian Trepak).

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Anothermi said:

Wow! Thanks for that @Percysowner. Somehow Jeanine turned into an actor behind my unobservant back.  I'm going to have to hunt down some of her previous work and see what I think.

She's been a regular on Grey's Anatomy this season as one of the new interns. If you want to watch something with dancing, she was on a few episodes of Bunheads!

• Love 1
On 2/16/2018 at 10:25 PM, Anothermi said:

Wow! Thanks for that @Percysowner. Somehow Jeanine turned into an actor behind my unobservant back.  I'm going to have to hunt down some of her previous work and see what I think.

On 2/16/2018 at 11:58 PM, Sharpie66 said:

She was on a recent ep of Criminal Minds.

18 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

She's been a regular on Grey's Anatomy this season as one of the new interns. If you want to watch something with dancing, she was on a few episodes of Bunheads!

She's... pretty bad.

Ariana DeBose has been nominated for a Tony Award! She is up for best performance by an actress in a featured role in a musical for playing Disco Donna in Summer: The Donna Summer Musical. The other nominees in this category are Renee Fleming for Carousel, Lindsay Mendez for Carousel, Ashley Park for Mean Girls, and Diana Rigg for My Fair Lady.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Ariana DeBose has been nominated for a Tony Award! She is up for best performance by an actress in a featured role in a musical for playing Disco Donna in Summer: The Donna Summer Musical. The other nominees in this category are Renee Fleming for Carousel, Lindsay Mendez for Carousel, Ashley Park for Mean Girls, and Diana Rigg for My Fair Lady.

This news makes me very happy.  I was so upset when she was booted off so early in her season (I'd taken quite a liking to her early on)... now I  have to remind myself that "just being nominated is an honor".

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Anothermi said:

Thanks you for posting that @ElectricBoogaloo!.  You had me a the combo of the names Blake and Brian.  I had a huge smile on my face watching them dance.  So similar... and yet so different!

They were both KILLING IT! It makes me wish they would have Blake choreograph for the show. That routine had technical elements, good homage to the original, but still plenty of opportunity for each dancer to add their own flair and personality.

Just for fun, this is the Cold Hearted routine that Brian choreographed during S1 (Blake wasn't in it, but still!):

• Love 4

In March, Lin-Manuel Miranda and Ben Platt performed Found Tonight, a mashup of You Will Be Found (Dear Evan Hansen) and The Story of Tonight (Hamilton). A few weeks ago, the Broadway casts of both shows performed it together at the 32nd annual Easter Bonnet Competition, which raises money for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS. This performance was choreographed by Karla Puno Garcia who was on the top 20 in S5. Caveats: she isn’t among the performers in this video and I’d call this staging rather than choreography, but I still wanted to share this! She is a swing in Hamilton on Broadway. 

She also choreographed this piece for 2016 Gypsy of the Year (the winter version of Easter Bonnet):

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

This performance was choreographed by Karla Puno Garcia who was on the top 20 in S5. Caveats: she isn’t among the performers in this video and I’d call this staging rather than choreography, but I still wanted to share this! She is a swing in Hamilton on Broadway. 

Thanks again. I love the call backs to the Seasons when I was still totally invested in this show. I am always so happy that they got work after SYTYCD.   I did a very brief search of Karla and from the images that came up, I think she was in the second link you posted. The female dancer wearing jeans and a light brown top that is being lifted in the 2nd link.  Yes?

In Season 5 she was paired with Jonathan Platero and I honestly didn't engage with the two of them as much as I did with others, and they both got booted before top 10. But Jonathan has choreographed for Strictly Come Dancing at least a couple of times - once when his partner, Oksana (DWTS troupe), was a pro on Strictly, and once before that. Maybe it's nostalgia, but I am thrilled for both of them.

• Love 2

ICYMI: Jenna Johnson is one of the pros on the current season of DWTS. She's partnered with Adam Rippon and IMO their contemp last Monday was surprisingly good, considering the limited training time and the fact that Adam's not a pro. (The finale is next Monday and Jenna&Adam probably have a pretty good chance of winning.)

Actual dancing starts around the 1:50 mark, choreo by Jenna & Talia Favia.

• Love 1

Thanks, @ElectricBoogaloo - so much - for this update on Ariana Debose. Yay for her getting a nomination.

She was one of my favourites at the start of her season on SYTYCD and I was really pissed off when she got booted so early. It was good to hear how she processed that experience. I recall being really pleased to learn she'd booked a job on Broadway soon after that - in a "take that, Nigel" kind of way.

She's grown up beautifully... and so beautiful.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Anothermi said:

I recall being really pleased to learn she'd booked a job on Broadway soon after that - in a "take that, Nigel" kind of way.

She’s been working pretty steadily on Broadway. Her other credits include Nautica in the original cast of Bring It On, original ensemble member in Motown the Musical (she was also the understudy for the role of Diana Ross), Leading Player in Pippin, original ensemble member in Hamilton, and Jane in the original cast of A Bronx Tale. 

• Love 1

I saw the touring company of An American in Paris on Sunday, and the lead was replaced by the understudy, Kyle Robinson.  Now, Kyle never participated in SYTYCD, but he is one of the founders of Shaping Sound, along with Travis Wall and Nick Lazzarini.  He was also on Shaping Sound's reality show.  I always thought he was one of the best dancers (probably right behind Travis as far as ability), and he just slayed it on Sunday.  Loved his dance.

• Love 1
(edited)

Mollee Gray (from Season 6) cranked out another role in a Lifetime original movie this past weekend. It was called "A Night to Regret".

Slowly but surely she's adding to that IMDB page :-)

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Tony Award nominee Ariana DeBose interview for tonight’s VH1 Trailblazer Honors. She discusses her presence as a queer person of color being political in the Broadway community:

http://www.vh1.com/video-clips/jz3jjf/trailblazer-honors-change-starts-at-home-ariana-debose

And +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 more likes for this!  Every time you post something about what Ariana DeBose is doing, @ElectricBoogaloo, I love her a little more. I feel sooo vindicated in her being one of my picks for top 10 in her year. But I feel less angry that she got booted so early. Seems it was the best thing that could have happened to her. :-D

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Anothermi said:

And +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 more likes for this!  Every time you post something about what Ariana DeBose is doing, @ElectricBoogaloo, I love her a little more. I feel sooo vindicated in her being one of my picks for top 10 in her year. But I feel less angry that she got booted so early. Seems it was the best thing that could have happened to her. :-D

It’s hard enough to have a successful dance career but the odds of a successful Broadway career are even less likely, so it makes me so happy to see her kicking ass and being recognized for her talent!

• Love 1

Martha Nichols S2 was also in The Greatest Showman. I didn’t recognize her, but couldn’t take my eyes off her and looked for the character in the credits. Shaved head and is usually seen in a sparkling gold leotard. She was gorgeous.

Jess LeProtto S8 is in Carousel and Broadway and was on the Tonys in an ensemble piece.

World of Dance has a few alum this season, some already mentioned, and none as soloists (that I’m aware of):

Audrey S5 hurt her foot shortly before her group Royal Flux performed, but they made it.

Zack S11 (tapper) performed in a contemporary duo, Ashley & Zack.

Rudy S11 choreographed and performed in his collective Embodiment.

Denys the SYTYCDCA winner who auditioned but dropped out of Stage & Street season and his now-wife Antonina (who also auditioned but was cut) are again competing as DNA.

I think that’s everyone I noticed on WoD. They all made it to the next level.

• Love 3
(edited)

A Dragon House trio competed tonight and *barely* made it to the next round. One of the two guys was BluPrint S10. 

I forgot Konkrete & B-Dash were a few eps ago — Konkrete (Kevin) was the last guy standing with Kiki on Jenna’s team last year (she should have picked him!) and krumper B-Dash auditioned during Stage & Street. They made it through, too.

Edited by Electruck
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Electruck said:

Martha Nichols S2 was also in The Greatest Showman. I didn’t recognize her, but couldn’t take my eyes off her and looked for the character in the credits. Shaved head and is usually seen in a sparkling gold leotard. She was gorgeous.

Jess LeProtto S8 is in Carousel and Broadway and was on the Tonys in an ensemble piece.

World of Dance has a few alum this season, some already mentioned, and none as soloists (that I’m aware of):

Audrey S5 hurt her foot shortly before her group Royal Flux performed, but they made it.

Zack S11 (tapper) performed in a contemporary duo, Ashley & Zack.

Rudy S11 choreographed and performed in his collective Embodiment.

Denys the SYTYCDCA winner who auditioned but dropped out of Stage & Street season and his now-wife Antonina (who also auditioned but was cut) are again competing as DNA.

I think that’s everyone I noticed on WoD. They all made it to the next level.

Will Thomas S9 also performed with Royal Flux.   

• Love 2

I don't know why, but that video was so lovely/silly (ilike Mark) and the on stage performance likewise that I'm all verklempt.  I hope Mark has had the life it looks like he has.  And you know that his life has been profoundly affected by his exposure on SYTYCD and what he was able to do with it and that makes me glad.

Edited by crowceilidh
  • Love 8