Type keyword(s) to search

Where Are They Now?: SYTYCD Alumni's Current Projects

• Start Topic

Thank you for the Team US vs Team China, as always, Anothermi!  I was looking for a reason to procrastinate today.  :)

Philip's routine won against a ballroom trio (Latin, I believe, but I'm no expert),

I have been a fan of Chbeeb since he auditioned and blew my mind.  I've never seen him dance such big moves so quickly as he and his partner did in this routine.  Very impressive.  However, I have to say I enjoyed the Chinese trio samba more.  No, they weren't as innovative, but they were gorgeous.  It's funny how charisma is charisma no matter where you are.  I would have expected more cultural differences (in my perception?  In their presentation?) somehow.  ANyway, I'm surprised the Chinese team lost so decisively.

I am very happy that these dancers have an opportunity to travel and compete elsewhere.  They make me proud.

Edited by ToxicUnicorn

I know this just barely counts as SYTYCD alumni, but some dancers who made it to the auditions but not the top 20 have been on tv recently.

Bree Hafen sometimes choreographs for the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders so she was on an episode of DCC: Making the Team a few weeks ago. She taught the girls a dance and then gave them feedback. If you need a reminder, this is her S9 audition:

E-Knock (Ernest), who auditioned in S3 and again in S10, is competing with his brother Jin on the 27th season of The Amazing Race, which just started airing last week:

Did anyone catch LoFro on Tyra Banks' new show "The Fab Life" this morning?

She didn't speak or anything, they were just using her as one of 3 models from the crowd on a segment about ideas for females with short hairstyles. They did reference her as being a dancer, so I was wondering if anyone had any recent info about her career...

Since they deleted my post again I'm going to go ahead and reiterate that the post from the previous page saying Casey is dating Makenzie is not in any way shape or form true or anything that would actually ever happen and I won't go farther into it because they'd probably delete my post again.

But SYTYCD alumni have been killing it lately with

--Amy as Peter Pan

--Melanie in Fiddler

--Jacque danced at the Governor's Ball with Maks from dancing with the stars

--Ricky joined shaping sound

--Cat and Allison+tWitch pregnant, Witney engaged, Lindsay just married

--Travis and Tessandra won emmys

• Love 1

Is anyone planning to attend the Shaping Sound tour?  I have tickets for the Raleigh show, but it is not until February.  In addition to Travis and Nick, the other SYTYCD alumni in the cast include Ricky, Kathryn, Kate, and Channing.  Jamie is not performing in the fall tour due to injury, but she is traveling with the cast and will be in attendance at their performances.

Congratulations Alison and Twitch!

I know I am 3 years behind - here's a youtube I just found starring Alison and Derek Hough on Dancing with the Stars.  Melanie and Kathryn are in it too, although I think Alison clearly demonstrates why she's at the top of a lot of peoples' lists.

• Love 2

A joint interview with Ariana DeBose, Neil Haskell, Evan Kasprzak and Jess LeProtto:

http://playbill.com/news/article/so-you-think-you-can-broadway-theatres-sytycd-contestants-talk-shop-in-the-studio-374221

Great Find, RK! I am particularly happy that it includes Ariana DeBose as she was an early favourite of mine on her season (6 - the forgotten season) and unfortunately an early boot. A couple of years later I was OK with her early departure because I found out she started working on Broadway soon after. At least SYTYCD turned out to be a useful experience for their Broadway careers.

Loved this photo of them all. Evan and Ariana look like they are just standing there - effortless.

One question? Evan seems to have had ONE dance that he really didn't like (both the routine and the costume), but I can't think of which one it might be? I'm leaning toward the baseball final two, but I honestly haven't got a clue. Does anyone know?

The interview format was fun as it helped highlight the ease they have together due to having SYTYCD in common even though they competed on different seasons.

• Love 1
One question? Evan seems to have had ONE dance that he really didn't like (both the routine and the costume), but I can't think of which one it might be? I'm leaning toward the baseball final two, but I honestly haven't got a clue. Does anyone know?

Haha, yes:

• Love 1

Haha, yes:

Right. Now I remember he spoke about that costume before. ;-)

Lucky for me (as compared to him) I was able to block it from my mind. It really wasn't him was it. He's braver than I could have been.

Edit: Oops totally missed that the interview was already posted :P

I think Neil is currently a swing on Hamilton right now, Ariana is in the ensemble, and Thayne Jasperson even has a proper credited role as Samuel Seabury :)

Here's his duet with Lin-Manuel Miranda from the show! Maybe now Nigel will finally acknowledge him when talking about SYTYCD alums on Bway :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpZ13lqzgi0

I wish tickets weren't eleventy billion dollars so I could actually go see the show :( Ariana and Thayne are fantastic though, you can see them in various Hamilton clips on Youtube!

Edited by allypenguin

Speaking of Broadway, does anyone know if any former contestants were in the corps of tonight's live production of "Grease"? I thought I recognized a face or two, but picking individual dancers out of a crowd has never been a talent of mine. Since this was a Fox production, I'd be surprised if there weren't any SYTYCD alums.

Speaking of Broadway, does anyone know if any former contestants were in the corps of tonight's live production of "Grease"? I thought I recognized a face or two, but picking individual dancers out of a crowd has never been a talent of mine. Since this was a Fox production, I'd be surprised if there weren't any SYTYCD alums.

Courtney Galiano is on it.

Is anyone planning to attend the Shaping Sound tour?  I have tickets for the Raleigh show, but it is not until February.  In addition to Travis and Nick, the other SYTYCD alumni in the cast include Ricky, Kathryn, Kate, and Channing.  Jamie is not performing in the fall tour due to injury, but she is traveling with the cast and will be in attendance at their performances.

IdleBrook - the Shaping Sound performance was excellent.  Riveting, in parts - I have to admit, there was some standout choreography, except I didn't like  

all the times they used a slanted bed as a prop - a la Twitch and Kherington - which was a lot.  

Be really sure to get there on time.  Once the show began, you will be riveted to your seat and the only chance to get to your seat will be at the intermission about halfway through.  

Nick was featured very heavily, he seemed to get all the super dramatic parts.  I like Nick a lot, but I thought he couldn't quite carry as much as they gave him.  Travis quietly danced better than I'd ever seen on the show.  Ricky was beautiful and

danced a gorgeous, intimate duet with Travis, but otherwise

seemed to have a supporting role.

The show was all about the men, for me, including Kyle and Teddy.  The women were eclipsed completely, in both dancing and charisma.

For those who can't make it to a show and haven't seen this clip yet, the first part of this clip from the Ellen show was a definite high point.  However, for those who have seen the show, I wouldn't watch it.  It's fantastic in person and I loved being surprised.

Highlight on the Ellen show

The audience was very appreciative and clearly cheered most loudly for Nick, Ricky, and Travis.  I left wanting to see it again.  Well worth it if you have loved the contemporary on the show.

Edited by ToxicUnicorn

This is going to serve as a multi-purpose post... For what's up with their lives and work and as a commentary on this season's SYTYCD.

1 - tWitch and Allison had a baby boy over Easter. (Announced on Ellen, but I don't watch that so perhaps others don't either and don't know yet)

2 - They are doing a dance challenge on "Ellen Tube" with kids. Team tWich and Team Allison. A couple of 5 minute 'episodes' are up already. The winning team gets to perform on the Ellen show - of course.

3 - So it seems that kids dance competitions are on trend and Nigel is going with the flow.

Pretty sure I saw both Curtis Holland (S10) and Philip Attmore (S6) in Maya &Marty's closing number from Broadway's Shuffle Along tonight. A few weeks ago Curtis was spotlighted for the same role along with another female cast member on the CBS Sunday Morning show...

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, Brandon Bryant dances for Britney Spears's Vegas show which I'm sure is mentioned in the thread but yesterday she reblogged one of his Instagram post, writing "This young man teaches my son dance. His energy is literally electric on stage. I am so proud to have him with me. The way he moves makes me feel something I can't quite explain... but I do know I feel inspired and alive."  

Then he posted a screen shot of her reblog writing "Why is life right now?!! This post has such a big meaning to me. Ever since j was a little boy this has been the only dream I have ever wanted to be able not only to be loving that to the fullest but also to know that I can be just a little ray of sunlight to @britneyspears who has been that for me since I've started in this crazy entertainment industry, it leaves me with no word but Thank You Thank You Thank You! I feel so blessed and so honored and I wouldn't change any of it. ☺️☺️ #WhatIsLife #britneyspears #dance #sytycd #Brandon #black #proud #lovewins❤️????" 

It's sweet <3 

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 3
(edited)

So I have been obsessed with X Ambassadors' Unsteady for awhile and a few days ago heard about a new video that has two male contemporary dancers portraying the relationship drama of the song. The video is also a tribute to the victims of the Orlando club shooting, with all their names posted at the end. Anyway, seconds into the video, beautiful as it was, I was distracted because I was positive I knew the blonde guy. Sure enough, it's Kent Boyd. He's still a tiny thing but his dancing is even more stunning.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 6
(edited)

The X Ambassadors song bugs the hell out of me despite the beautiful video, because they just repeat "un... unsteady" over and over again. Choreo by Tyce, hm?

I didn't know Will Johnston, so I looked him up.  He's a member of Stacey Tookey's company, Still Motion, along with Kathryn McCormick and Melanie Moore.  The article I read mentioned he's worked with sONYA tAYEH.

Edited by Rick Kitchen
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

So I have been obsessed with X Ambassadors' Unsteady for awhile and a few days ago heard about a new video that has two male contemporary dancers portraying the relationship drama of the song. The video is also a tribute to the victims of the Orlando club shooting, with all their names posted at the end. Anyway, seconds into the video, beautiful as it was, I was distracted because I was positive I knew the blonde guy. Sure enough, it's Kent Boyd. He's still a tiny thing but his dancing is even more stunning.

1 hour ago, Rick Kitchen said:

Choreo by Tyce, hm?

Yes. I recognized that he reworked the piece he did for S08 Sasha with Kent as the All Star. This time Kent didn't have to do the heavy lifting (mostly joking). He didn't use the wall as much this time. This is one of Tyce's that I like. I have no problem with him reworking it. It in not a replica of the S08 one it's a complete rework on the same theme. I know other choreographers do this as well. Here it is to compare:

Thanks for bringing this over, truthaboutluv.

• Love 1
(edited)

Just read an article about Joshua Allen. He was arrested for domestic violence. Just Google his name and read the article at www.thewrap.com. I'm on my iPhone and have no idea how to link or copy and paste. This arrest may explain why he is no longer on this season's show. 

Edited by luvthepros
  • Love 1

Here's the article, Joshua Allen Charged With Domestic Violence. Wow, was not expecting that. Although I knew something had to be up with Marko suddenly showing up and the show giving no reason for it. The latter was the dead giveaway. If Joshua was injured, they would have mentioned it like they have so many times in the past. That they gave no explanation, even if they had to know people would wonder where the hell Joshua was, was very telling. 

If he was charged the first time on April 13, it makes me wonder about the timing of the show.  I can't imagine them knowingly casting someone to work with children who was charged for allegedly attempting to strangle his girlfriend in April.  That's just horrifying.

I'm with all of you that are surprised to hear this about Joshua. And bummed. Whenever I hear something like this, it's always my tendency to believe the person claiming abuse (and stats bear me out that very, very few people lie about such things), but when it's someone I've liked as much as Joshua, I sometimes look at the details and wonder if there's an "out" -- like is it possible he didn't do it? In my heart of hearts I know that's probably stupid, but I guess we all hate to think that someone we admire (and on reality TV, we kinda believe, falsely, that we actually know these people) could do something so wrong.

In this case, it looks like it's three separate horrific incidents -- at least some with witnesses. He threw a glass vase at a woman trying to help the poor woman he was attacking? Talk about out of control. I hope that he's prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, and I wish only the best for his former girlfriend. Extraordinarily brave of her to come forward when he has such a clear history of violence.

If he was charged the first time on April 13, it makes me wonder about the timing of the show.  I can't imagine them knowingly casting someone to work with children who was charged for allegedly attempting to strangle his girlfriend in April.  That's just horrifying.

Great question, Nilo. SMDH.

• Love 6
On July 4, 2016 at 4:17 PM, Anothermi said:

Yes. I recognized that he reworked the piece he did for S08 Sasha with Kent as the All Star. This time Kent didn't have to do the heavy lifting (mostly joking). He didn't use the wall as much this time. This is one of Tyce's that I like. I have no problem with him reworking it. It in not a replica of the S08 one it's a complete rework on the same theme. I know other choreographers do this as well. Here it is to compare:

Thanks for bringing this over, truthaboutluv.

@truthaboutluv, that was beautiful.  Thanks for sharing.  @anothermi, I'm not a dancer, so I don't see as many similarities between this piece and the Kent/Sasha one.  It did remind me a lot of the Travis piece for Kent and Neil, though. (Don't know how to link, sorry). The black vs white shirts, the drawing together and casting apart.... Happier ending this time, though!

• Love 1
(edited)
On 2016-07-16 at 0:25 PM, Cuatro1234 said:

@truthaboutluv, that was beautiful.  Thanks for sharing.  @anothermi, I'm not a dancer, so I don't see as many similarities between this piece and the Kent/Sasha one.  It did remind me a lot of the Travis piece for Kent and Neil, though. (Don't know how to link, sorry). The black vs white shirts, the drawing together and casting apart.... Happier ending this time, though!

Well spotted Cuatro1234. It does have similarities - perhaps more so than the Tyce one I linked to (perhaps I was influenced by the presence of the wall, whether it was deliberately added or not). At least Tyce re-working someone else's moves fits with his past methods. :-P

Here they are again to compare: 1st the new one by Tyce

On 2016-07-04 at 2:49 PM, truthaboutluv said:

And this is Travis' with Kent and Neil

"How it ends."

Edited by Anothermi
embedding not possible, added description

I was watching a backstage video by Tyler Hanes from Cats, talking about his best buddy Ricky Ubeda (they were both in On the Town). and Melanie Moore came on to see her friend Ricky.  She's currently in Fiddler on the Roof on Broadway. Turns out Melanie and Tyler are from the same home town in Georgia, and his sister was her dance teacher.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

I was watching a backstage video by Tyler Hanes from Cats, talking about his best buddy Ricky Ubeda (they were both in On the Town). and Melanie Moore came on to see her friend Ricky.  She's currently in Fiddler on the Roof on Broadway. Turns out Melanie and Tyler are from the same home town in Georgia, and his sister was her dance teacher.

Can you post a link to that interview Rick Kitchen?