Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: The Mountain And The Viper 2014.06.01

• Start Topic

(edited)

I thought the opening in Mole's Hill was so well done. Those women had slept in the safety of the Night's Watch for so long, they had no idea how soft and weak they really were. A loud, carousing tavern is going to have an owl cooing right on their doorstep? If a Wilding girl told me 'that is not an owl' I'd have been throwing myself into the nearest cellar, manure pile, anything. That was the difference between acting strong and knowing you're weak. Ygritte is a killer, but I feel like her and Mance's men are in a 'go hard or go home' situation. I think if they raised even one question about the necessity of slaughtering everyone, the Thanes would (sp?) promptly turn around and kill them, and tell Mance they fell in battle.

I know it's historically accurate for nobles to consider handling of money to be crass and best left to the lower classes, but it still sounds so idiotic to hear it said out loud. That the vale noble went to pieces over Sansa, who honestly has no power or leverage, but not the man who flippin handled all the money of the kingdom of Westeros, made me want the whole enterprise to crash and burn. Idiots, the lot of them (except Sansa, who has apparently evolved into her advanced intrigue form). 

I don't think Theon was blubbering because the Iron Born was berating him, I think it was because he saw that axe to the head coming. A nasty reminder of his own betrayal in Winterfell, where he was ready to proudly lead his mean to their deaths. Guy was lucky to get a clean death, at least. Roose is a psychopath who is confident and at peace with himself. He's not going to do some flashy, unnecessary, bs to make himself look good. Ramsay's fragility is what makes him so much more terrifying.

Yup, Bronn was right to peace out on that battle. Oberyn was good, but the extended reach of his spear was critical in avoiding the hulk smash until his arrogance got the best of him. From a boxer's perspective, The Mountain had complete control of the center of the ring until Oberyn knocked him down. Bronn wouldn't have had the reach to get to him, and not much room to run around. If Oberyn hadn't been so fired up, he could have just pulled up a chair and had some wine while The Mountain bled out. The wounds he inflicted were critical, there's no way Clegane wasn't in pain. But he wanted to get right up in his face and make him confess, I bet that would never have been his style otherwise. 

Arya's cackle was priceless. And the vale representatives will of course not mention that grubby little man Littlefinger is warden of Robyn, ensuring that The Hound will give up as there will be no one else in the Vale that has seen Arya since she was probably an infant. No one would believe the murderous little psychopath was a noblewoman otherwise. Go learn proper waterdancing and take 'em all down!

Edited by rozen

Wow, that was some gruesome death! For a minute I thought the Viper gonna make it but when he kept mouthing off, I knew some shit gonna go down. Why couldn't you shut up and kill him? Why Oberynn why????

I guess maybe it was some kind of foreshadowing. Oberynn died because he wouldn't stop asking a violent moron that same beetle question. But, did we really need that much extrapolation to clarify for us that The Mountain was a crazy violent thug?

I know right? I normally love PD and his performance but I'm a little lost on this one. The whole monologue I was like "Beetle?? WTF???" So the cousin liked to smash some beetles just for the sake of it. Ok good to know.

I loved Sansa! I think she played LF or at least I hope so. I know she's way behind LF in the scheming department but wouldn't it be awesome if the most dangerous man in Westeros was trick by Sansa, a girl full of naivete and immaturity. 

I do not care about Grey Worm at all but I agreed with him. I'm glad I saw that. I just wish the scenes weren't so dull.

As soon as Sansa revealed her true identity to the Vale council (?), I thought ooh, she's finally decided to play the game. I just hope that those three don't blab about her presence or deliberately betray her.

I'm really curious as to what will happen with Arya and the Hound. Will they just turn around and leave? Or will Arya finally be reunited with Sansa? I feel like GRRM has been doing his damndest to prevent any kind of Stark sibling reunion from happening and part of me would be sad to see the Arya and Hound comedy road show end. Plus what would Arya do at the Vale? Plot how to kill Tywin?

(edited)

Oh, god. They made me love him just so it would hurt more when he died! I honestly should have seen that coming, but I didn't at all and it's the first time I've been so surprised since season one.

I was more floored by this than the Red Wedding. Damn you, GRRM! I refuse to allow myself to fall in love with any new characters from this point on. There's nothing I can do about the ones who already have my heart. FUCK! Why?! I am an emotional wreck over this.

So, did GRRM's wet nurse drop him on his head when he was a baby and we are going to be subjected to several more seasons of him crushing beetles just because he can?

Heh. Nice analogy.

Edited by Jeebus Cripes
  • Love 3
(edited)

Oberyn, stop speechifying and start stabbing! The mountain does not go down that easily! I knew his early lead was too good to be true. Plus I declared him my favorite character after the last episode, so based on that alone I assumed he'd be dead by the end of the season. But I let myself believe, dammit. For a moment I actually thought he would win. I adored him so much that I keep forgetting his death means that Tyrion is now condemned to death too. 

Meanwhile it looks like Sansa is finally getting in the game, though she's in way over her head with Littlefinger. Ugh, what a creeper. He's just so...predatory. And smarmy. When she came downstairs in that dress, not sure if I was more unsettled by how he looked at her or how she looked at him. What are you playing at, Sansa? 

I thought Arya's hysterical laughter at her aunt's death was the perfect reaction. I mean at this point, how much more absurd could her life be?

Edited by LiteraTec
  • Love 3
(edited)

OBERYNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?????

I braced myself for his impending doom.  Because he was funny, sexy, and added another layer of dimension to the goings on in Kings Landing.  And because I liked (loved) his character, of course he was going to bite it.  But goddamn, that was so BRUTAL!  It's in the middle of the night, and I'm trying to not scream my utter rage at the computer screen.  You had one job, Oberyn, one job, and you had that oversized bastard dead to rights, until you became too wrapped up in the wanting the confession before making sure your victim wouldn't be able to strike back.  

And while I pretty want to slap the smug off Cersei's face, it reached all new levels with this latest episode.  I live for the day when this smug bitch gets her heaping pile of just desserts.  

I have so much more that I want to say about this episode, but I need to collect my thoughts.  Actually, I'm going to go rock myself in a corner.  

Edited by FlamingWench79
  • Love 2
ETA: Ok, I guess the proper trope term is Flynning. I thought the Flynning was way out of place.

As a Packers fan, I can tell you that Flynning is always out of place.

Yeah, I cringed when someone called him "the moral center of the show". If Tyrion fucking Lannister is the moral center of your story, you're in deep dodo. Well, kinda explains the rest of it, all right.

I don't want him to be my moral center. I want him to be my entertainment center. Now that they've crushed Oberyn, who's left? Tyrion's gonna be dead soon, I like Tywin and Cersei as antagonists, but not as protagonists, and none of the other main characters I really like are that involved (except Arya).

I won't root for Jon Snow, Reek, Jamie, Stannis, any Bolton, Brienne, Dany or any other guy/girl anytime soon. Is it going to be Sansa? Show, you better have an answer and not a cliffhanger.

FUCK! Why?! I am an emotional wreck over this.

And that's exactly what GRRM wants. I've seen only one interview of him (the Comic Con panel) and he said many times that the most important thing to him is that we are emotionally invested in the characters. I'm starting to think he's taken it too far though. Maybe it's because I've just finished watching the episode, but I don't want to care about any character anymore. I don't even want to want anything from the show, because I know GRRM will just take it away from me. It's all starting to feel really hopeless. I don't know, maybe it'll pass, but damn, I'm pissed off. Just let the White Walkers wipe them all.

And it was only episode 8. We know the most terrible things always happen in episode 9 and I couldn't even watch that scene...

I want to thank the posters who made the parallel between the beetle-smashing cousin and the Mountain. That whole speech was totally lost on me. Yes the Mountain is a psychopath, but even he wouldn't have survived that long if he wasn't at least a little smart in combat. Playing dead or half-dead was smart. I'm pissed off at Oberyn. He was the one I cared about, not Tyrion (yeah, unpopular opinion here, I never cared about Tyrion. Hear that, GRRM?)

Trying to see the positive in all this... well, maybe Oberyn's fighting style will give some idea to Jamie. Not sure he can pull it off with one hand though.

I like that Sansa is trying to take control of what she can. That dress was all kinds of Maleficient, but good for her.

• Love 4

I actually hope that's true! I hope this is a way for her to lure Littlefinger in and bring him down, and not because she actually cares for him or trusts him. *shivers*

I got the feeling that she's going to be his student more than his Lolita.   I was actually pleased and impressed that Littlefinger chose to groom Lyssa's son rather than sticking him in a tower room somewhere.  Training him is an investment in Littlefinger's long term success.  After the conversation with the Vale family leaders, it seems like the son might be turned into a new rallying point for families against the Lannisters.

I wish Ramsey Snow/Bolton and Theon/Reek would just fall in a hole and disappear.

When Sansa was sitting there knitting (didn't we see Catelyn doing that a lot )

I think Sansa was actually doing some sort of needlepoint in her room this week.

GRRM making me love Oberyn and then killing him reminded me of Joss Whedon letting Tara finally reconcile with Willow and then putting a bullet in her.

• Love 1

In addition to the loss of Oberyn, it also bugs that we're back to Square One regarding Tyrion's fate. All the buildup of having him condemned, then demanding trial by combat, then finding a champion - basically for nothing, right? In a 10-episode season, that seems especially frustrating. With Oberyn having been introduced into the show for this express purpose ( to be the champion), it seems sadistically manipulative.

If anyone doubts that Sansa is playing the game, check the expression on her face as she descends those stairs at the end. As she says "Shall we go?" It's the expression of a woman who's discovered her power. I think she has Littlefinger right where she wants him. Still needs to be careful, of course - this IS Game of Thrones. We know the author likes to shock us and make us uncomfortable.

• Love 3

Sansa growing some cajones is nice to finally see

Cajones means drawers (furniture).  Cojones means balls.  One small vowel makes all the difference! ;-)

This show is now officially too much for me.  That was the most horrific thing I've ever seen (and confirms that I'd definitely be an aetheist in Westeros).  I'll sleep on it but I think I might [become spoiled] before I watch another episode... I want to be prepared for shit like that.

Come on over to the dark side! We are waiting for you! 

Team White Walkers!

LOL!

Mulling and chewing on a few things overnight-

Sansa will be the rallying point at the Eyrie. The Hound has a bit of a crush on her. She's Arya's sister. And the other half of the Bob Hope Comedy Tour is still on it's way to the Eyrie with Brienne being sworn to protect Sansa. That puts two skilled swords and one who is learning at the Eyrie. Sansa's still a virgin. Littlefinger, Robin, Tyrion. Hell, I could even see Cersei bringing her back and marrying her off to Tommen just to torment her. And you know somebody on that small council from the Vale is going to betray her.

This moat that Ramsey now holds is in the North. Do Brienne and Pod have to pass through that moat to get to the Eyrie?

Everything keeps coming back to Brienne for me today after the whore was belching Bear and the Maiden Fair. And circling back around to Brienne, I keep thinking Jamie is going to do something to save his brother, something glorious and honorable like his buddy Brienne would do.

an unbelievably long speech about beetles that actually manages to do the impossible and make Peter Dinklage boring.

Someone pointed out the speech made sense at the end.  The Gods truly don't care, in Tyrion's view, about these people nearly as much as the people would like them to believe.  They are all just little beetles waiting to be crushed by the Gods for the God's amusement, little more.  We like to think there is a purpose or a point to it all, but perhaps there is not, we are just bugs being used to amuse the Gods. 

Also Peter DInklage is a vegetarian.......or vegan, I forget which, and that whole speech and him releasing the beetle made me think of that fact. 

• Love 3

Of all the weeks to not get a livestream working til the last few minutes. Was the rest of the fight good?

Stop! Stop reading now, and get some earmuffs, stay away from any relevant discussion forums. You owe it to yourself to see the whole thing without spoilers.

• Love 1

Regarding Daenerys sending away Jorah... I think she made the right call. An earlier version of Dany would have had him executed for the betrayal. She will miss his good advice but she's settling down for a while so he was less critical. He was most valuable to her as a strategist regarding Westeros and she has her sights elsewhere for a while.  

I like Ser Jorah out there in the world... so many possibilities.  He loves Dany and I don't think he will betray her. In fact, I see him looking out for her from afar... perhaps thwarting attempts by the Lannisters to go after her.  He has a chance to be a real hero. Or he can go look for his father and hook up with Jon Snow and the Mormont sword.

I'm hoping Sansa learned a little from Lady Olenna and Maergery about playing the role and using what you've got as a woman in this terrible world.  As for her relationship with Littlefinger, he has saved her life twice (?) even if he was the one to place it into jeopardy. There could be some stockholder's syndrome going on (I miss you, Jason Stackhouse), but that's okay as long as she survives a while longer. I think she will become increasingly central to the saga. Let's just hope the Eyrie craziness isn't contagious.

Arya's laugh keeps me firmly in House Arya. In fact, I'm going to adopt that as my go-to reaction so that I can tolerate watching the rest of the GRRM beetle-crushing saga.  Hahahahaha!  He killed another great character just because he hated his 10th grade language arts teacher or something!  What fun!

• Love 4
(edited)

Just got home from work after stewing on this episode all day.
Fuck! I don’t know why, but with Joffrey biting it and a little justice being meted out I did not see Oberyn’s death coming.  I thought Prince O would win and get justice (‘cos what’s more deserving that his cause?); in turn Tyrion would get his justice ‘cos he’s innocent and Tywin and Cersei were going to eat shit publicly.
I figured that they wouldn’t introduce such a fabulous character (and actor) as Prince Oberyn only to kill him off. Not only did he not get his justice, his head fucking imploded.

When will I learn not to expect fairness from this show? (life?) I should have learned after Ned, and then Rob.  Tyrion may die next week! Squashed like a bug without rhyme or reason. Just as I start to relax, something like this happens.

I ultimately thought that Arya would be the hero of this story, but look what she’s turned into. John Snow?  He could die in the next episode too.
I want Dany’s dragons to eventually smite Tywin. But in the series finale, I’m scared that Cersei will be sitting on the throne- all smug and smirking.

Other parts of this ep: Grey worm/Missa – so nice to see something warm and human in the show. I clung to it like a lifeline.

Dany – I loved how she showed mercy, but couldn’t give Jorah eye contact.
Tyrion/Jamie – I love Tyrion the philosopher. Is there an answer as to why the beetles were killed? Power? Just ‘cos they can be killed?  I love Tyrion more after that speech, because he wants to understand and for it all not to be meaningless.

I haven’t read any of the other posts yet (will do it now), but I think that Sansa and LF slept together.

I really don’t want to see any more Bolton and Reek.

Edited by insubordination
(edited)

I'm not sure why so many people are weirded out about Littlefinger and Sansa.  Why are people calling him a pervert?   In the world of Westoros, Sansa is woman, capable of marraige and child bearing.  She is married, to an older man (maybe older than Littlefinger).  My impression from watching the show is that usually the young girls often marry much older men.

Littlefinger >>>>>>>> Walder Frey

*Also, Sansa knows for a fact LF can make a woman scream in all the right ways.  Yeah, I said it. 

how cute was Dany putting up Missandei's hair?!

Dany used to braid Drogo's hair, too.  Perhaps her time with the Dothraki taught her an appreciation of hairstyles she wouldn't have otherwise had. 

Grey Worm's monologue to Missandei that she shouldn't be sorry that his enslavement happened to him, because it ultimately brought him to her? 

This show makes me love eunuchs in a way I never thought possible.

Trying to make us like Ygritte again right before the big battle so we care whether she lives or dies.

Rose Leslie has never looked so beautiful as she did with her finger over her mouth, saving Gilly and little Sam's lives, totally not knowing who they are and why they're important...  I care about Ygritte.  For me, there is only one acceptable outcome to a Jon/Ygritte reunion and will not entertain any others. 

As soon as Sansa revealed her true identity to the Vale council (?), I thought ooh, she's finally decided to play the game. I just hope that those three don't blab about her presence or deliberately betray her.

Shit, I hope they walked out and had a press conference.  I don't think The Hound and Arya will go into the castle unless they knew Sansa was in there. 

I need to see The Hound rescue Sansa again.  And some making out, if at all possible. 

Edited by Drogo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Starting to feel like this show's a bit of a one trick pony, to be honest.

Do we have a thread for bitching about GRRM and the plot choices? (Maybe we need one rather than hijacking episode threads or bordering on booktalk but I don't know how to start threads).  It's been 15 years since I viewed the printed word. The reasons why I stopped are all coming back to me now.  Subverting a literary trope is clever once or twice. After a while, introducing another awesome character just so you can kill him in some unexpected, brutal way is not. I guess there are those of us who would spend days watching the brain-injured cousin smash beetles and those of us who would find something else to do with our time. 

eta:  yeah, yeah, I know... it had to happen and we'll eventually understand... 

Edited by TooMuchCoffee
  • Love 2
I need to see The Hound rescue Sansa again.  And some making out, if at all possible.

I'm sure that won't happen. That infected wound would probably finish him before he got a chance to be a hero! 

I wonder what will the people of Dorne do once they learn of Oberyn's death?  That might give the Lannisters more problems...

Some other positive take aways

Ayra's willingness to kill Joffrey with a chicken bone because she's focused on her goal and not her pride (tad bit of foreshadowing there too)

The beetle lived.

The Starks are by nature less bloodthirsty than the Lannisters.  Rickon smashes walnuts; Orson smashes beetles.

The arena was cozy, without being cramped, and has lovely views.

Daenerys isn't so proud she isn't willing to braid/brush a servant's hair.

The Lannisters are now arguably worse off regarding the Vale than they were before

Roose thinks Bran & Rickon are dead.

Jorah still has a head on his shoulders.

Grey Worm has a positive outlook on life that would put most people to shame.  Talk about a glass half full type.

• Love 15

Why was Tyrion sentenced to die if the Mountain's dead too?   Was the Mountain dead?  I hope so, that was one gruesome death they showed, I wonder how many buckets of blood they had on set for that.  Yikes.

Man that was drastic! Please don't kill my Tyrion! but if they killed the Starks and several unexpected deaths, nobody's job is secure in this show.

But I'll be a happy camper the day Cersei bites the dust, hopefully sooner than later, I hate her!

• Love 1

I wonder what will the people of Dorne do once they learn of Oberyn's death?  That might give the Lannisters more problems...

Cersei looked a little worried about that, her only daughter is there after all.

Goddammit, Oberyn! Now the show is 90% less sexy, thanks to your cocky self! I hope he took out The Mountain though. That would be some consolation, however small. My heart hurts.

I really hope that tedious, awful beetle scene wasn't the last one between the Lannister brothers, before Tyrion's execution or I'll be pissed. Never in my life would I have imagined I'd be bored to tears with a scene involving both of them. That was so wrong!

Lord Baelish is such a creep... and yet... his chemistry with Sansa is off the charts, particularly this season. I usually have the most conflicting emotions, when it comes to these two, because I love their scenes together, but, well, this is treacherous Littlefinger we're talking about. However, in this episode, I had the feeling that Sansa is actually enjoying how she affects him in particular and is ready to use that to her advantage. I also think Littlefinger is well aware of what's going on and is happy to indulge her. This is the plot I'm enjoying the most, now that Oberyn is gone *sniff*.

I loved Arya laughing!

• Love 5

Why was Tyrion sentenced to die if the Mountain's dead too?   Was the Mountain dead?  I hope so, that was one gruesome death they showed, I wonder how many buckets of blood they had on set for that.  Yikes.

Unfortunately, Oberyn died first.  Hopefully that was also the end of the Mountain, since they couldn't keep an actor to portray him properly.

• Love 1
Hahahahaha!  He killed another great character just because he hated his 10th grade language arts teacher or something!  What fun!

Thank you both for making me laugh! After this episode, I needed it!

• Love 1
(edited)

Was Tommen even there?  I saw Cersei, Pycelle, Tywin and Martell... didn't see Tommen. 

Seriously, fuck the king.

Hopefully that was also the end of the Mountain, since they couldn't keep an actor to portray him properly.

And he had a voice like Fozzie Bear. 

Oberyn's teeth flying out of his mouth like Tic Tacs is not an image that will be forgotten anytime soon. 

Edited by Drogo

Cersei looked a little worried about that, her only daughter is there after all.

I was wondering about the Dornish reaction but this was actually a "fair" fight and Oberyn volunteered. The Mountain did not directly implicate Tywin as Oberyn had hoped.  So there really is no legitimate official reaction that Dorne can take. Of course, their hatred towards the Lannisters will increase many-fold.  I believe Oberyn when he said that they hold children harmless so I think Myrcella is safe for the time being. 

• Love 1

I was not here for Lord Selmy's RUN TELL DAT ass last night. 

Granted Dany deserved to know and this was a shoe who's drop was looong overdue.

When Jorah  stepped   to the throne, it was clear Selmy had already snitched.

SMDH....

Agree, TooMuch, that Myrcella is most likely safe. 

But if I were Cersei, and projected as Cersei does, and thought the worst of people as Cersei does, I would be worried. 

• Love 2

Curse you AquaScum!!!!

I am so butthurt from the entire Oberyn death.  I kept growling at the TV once the Mountain was down "cut off the arms and legs... stab him in the neck... decapitate... SOMETHING" but NNOOOOOOO... and Mountain took him out.  Fucker.  I get the whole 'in the moment rant' as Oberyn's kept his tongue (somewhat mostly) about his truest feelings.  Yes, he's been very cutting, crass, and beautifully ... well... viper-tongued.  And his discussions about Tyrion and their conversation in Tyrion's cell - I saw much more within the man's character.  He kept to a very strong code.  And now, he's gone.  Fuckityfuckfuck. 

Here's hoping Tyrion finds some way out of this.  I am hoping either Jamie is able to make some plea, or helps his brother escape.  Tyrion would have no way to hide anywhere in the lands, but perhaps Oberyn's Lady Love would take him with her.  Anything but his death.  Not right now. 

Crap on a stick, last night's death sucked some major ass for me. 

Dany - couldn't care less about her or her 'rule'.  I believe she's lost (outside of Gray Worm and she whose name I cannot recall right now) the only person with any kind of 'power' who cared about her and protected her.  However, I can totally see Dany's line being crossed at Jorah ratting out that she was pregnant.   No way back from that one, really.

Ramsay still skeeves me something fierce.  My skin crawls just watching whatever the hell he's doing.  And I don't know if there's any coming back for Theon.  If Ramsay wasn't such a sick bastard (well, okay - not so much bastard any more), we'd be treated to Theon being put out of his misery.

Glad Gilly was saved (at least as far as we know). 

Arya's laughing at the joke that is the Hound's poor fate was priceless!   I needed to see the episode end like that.  I am hoping the sisters finally connect and am wondering if perhaps either Ayra or Brienne will take out LF.  Either of them, in my opinion, would be able to pick up on his fucked up-edness toward Sansa and take care of him.  Maybe the Hound, out of sheer frustration, will off with his head. 

Ooo... just had a bad image of The Hound going through the Moon Door.  I don't know that I could handle that one.  For as shit as he's been, he's also shown some real valor and heart. 

Waited two weeks to see Oberyn die.  So not happy about that.  Here's looking forward to the next episode. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I see what you're doing, show. Trying to make us like Ygritte again right before the big battle so we care whether she lives or dies.

I loved the touch there when her hands were shaking.  I think she is doing a good job at *acting* tough and like a killing machine, but she really doesn't enjoy it.  She didn't want to HAVE to kill the baby.

Oberyn's teeth flying out of his mouth like Tic Tacs is not an image that will be forgotten anytime soon.

Barf.   Seriously, it was so gross.  I HATE the eye gouging thing and then he popped that head like a damn beach ball....shudder.   gross. gag. 

Edited by rungirl911
  • Love 1

Agree, TooMuch, that Myrcella is most likely safe. 

But if I were Cersei, and projected as Cersei does, and thought the worst of people as Cersei does, I would be worried. 

I hope she worries to the point of mixing a bit too much nightshade with her wine.  I hate her more than I hated Joffrey. 

• Love 2

Someone posted that Tyrions monologue about the beetle-crushing cousin mirrored how he saw the god's treatment of mere mortals.

Yes! All I could think was that line from King Lear, "As flies to wanton boys are we to th' gods. They kill us for their sport."

Like I lot of you, I'd love to see a reunion of Sansa and Arya. But don't hold your breath; this is Westeros. Nobody has a happy ending.  Bet it'll be another near miss.

One thing that might wipe that smug smirk off Cersei's face.  Isn't she still be forced into that arranged marriage?

No way did Little finger plan Sansa's speech. As soon as she started revealing her true identity, his expression was pure "Man, I am so f*cked."

• Love 2

When Jorah  stepped   to the throne, it was clear Selmy had already snitched.

Dany clearly knew that Jorah had received a pardon, but it didn't seem like she knew what it was for. 

p.s.  WTF with the delay in Essos mail delivery?  And why haven't we seen a raven the whole damn season?  In S1 ravens were coming out of the woodwork.

• Love 1

Grey Worm's monologue to Missandei that she shouldn't be sorry that his enslavement happened to him, because it ultimately brought him to her? 

This show makes me love eunuchs in a way I never thought possible.

This all brought a thought to mind.  A male who is castrated when he's young doesn't develop the post-puberty characteristics that most men get...the characteristics that Varys is supposed to be showing.  The Unsullied, at least those of them castrated young, shouldn't be looking quite so testosterone enhanced.  Greyworm should be more inter-sex looking and less distinctly male.  After that conversation between Missandei and Dany, I'm wondering if the slave masters left the Unsullied with a bit more than Varys was left with to allow them to have some hormones that could be helpful when it came to fighting.

• Love 2

One thing that might wipe that smug smirk off Cersei's face.  Isn't she still be forced into that arranged marriage?

I thought that wasn't happening. Isn't that why Lady Olenna snapped the quill in her meeting with Tywin? Oh but then Tywin threatened to name Loras to the Kingsguard.  I need to find that scene and rewatch.

Apologize if this has already been asked, but why has the Eyrie not been included in the opening credits?   Did I blink and miss it?  Braavos has been in it and as far as I remember there has only been 1 scene there all season.  Moat Cailin was in it and there was only a brief sequence there.  But the Eyrie has been the place where some of the most important action has been happening but no inclusion in the credits...

What gives?

• Love 3
(edited)

I thought that wasn't happening. Isn't that why Lady Olenna snapped the quill in her meeting with Tywin? Oh but then Tywin threatened to name Loras to the Kingsguard.  I need to find that scene and rewatch.

It's on and poppin'.  The day she went to all three judges to not-so-subtly lobby for Tyrion's conviction, Cersei promised Tywin that her own wedding would be within 2 weeks of Tommen's wedding to Margaery. 

Edited by Drogo

Dany clearly knew that Jorah had received a pardon, but it didn't seem like she knew what it was for. 

p.s.  WTF with the delay in Essos mail delivery?  And why haven't we seen a raven the whole damn season?  In S1 ravens were coming out of the woodwork.

We had a couple of bird references in the episode. There was a carrion crow(?) outside the Moat and Sansa went with an avian theme for her dress.  That's a step in the right direction. 

I'm anxiously awaiting this week's Rankled. House Raven should climb a notch above House Martell by default. 

Apologize if this has already been asked, but why has the Eyrie not been included in the opening credits?   Did I blink and miss it?  Braavos has been in it and as far as I remember there has only been 1 scene there all season.  Moat Cailin was in it and there was only a brief sequence there.  But the Eyrie has been the place where some of the most important action has been happening but no inclusion in the credits...

What gives?

My theory, such as it is, is that Sansa's presence there is supposed to be a secret, hence no Eyrie in the credits.

I didn't say it was a good theory.

• Love 2

Pedro Pascal continues to ruin my summer: last year Graceland killed him off and now Game of Thrones does the deed in a manner so awful I could not watch.  Why can I not have nice things, TV?  Eyeballs squick me out completely and I was hiding behind my fingers from that moment on.  The fight itself was spectacular though.  Whoever did Oberyn's moves should be handed whatever prizes for stunt work exist.  He moved like a lithe, graceful combination of cat and hardcore ballet dancer.  I thought he had it won, as did Jaime who knows good fighting better than I do and seemed to be enjoying the moment both for itself and because it meant Tyrion would live.  I started to get worried when Oberyn wouldn't give up on gaining the confession.  Why was it so important, I wondered, and then he pointed to the dais and I knew he wanted Tywin publicly named too.  This was bigger than The Mountain to Oberyn and he lost his focus.  Damn.

The actor who played The Mountain really didn't work for me on any level.  He didn't look anywhere near the same age as Jaime and Oberyn, both of whom would have been little more than teenagers when Elia Martell died.  They really couldn't have found anyone more convincing?

Sansa was amazing.  I really enjoyed Littlefinger's trepidation when he realized Sansa was basically free-agenting her way through the Vale.  He thought she would be malleable, easy to manoeuvre and too scared to do anything beyond what he told her to do.  Instead she massaged the truth to her own benefit and even impressed Petyr Baelish, master of lies.  When she met his eyes over the comforting shoulder of that noblewoman, it was game on.  I loved the poleaxed look on Littlefinger's face at the end.  There he is, with the Lord of the Vale squirming in the palm of his hand and Sansa strolls down the steps like a vision from his dark fantasies.  It looked to me like she was saying 'maybe, yes, but on my terms'.  This is not a ship I ever imagined boarding, but it's got me.

Finally, I didn't mind the beetle conversation.  I agree it did foreshadow the gods' lack of interest in our love of Pedro Pascal, but it was also a moment that underscored for me the enormity of Tyrion's ordeal.  The brothers were reminiscing, talking about something inconsequential to stretch out the moments they had left, to avoid confronting the ugly reality of the day, and probably because they're Lannisters and can't actually say "you're my brother and I love you."

• Love 9

Arya and Hound somehow got the news that Joffrey was dead but it didn't seem like they got the whole story, since she should have had some sort of reaction to the fact that her sister was not only assumed to be in on the plot to kill him but is also a Lannister.  It would have been nice to see a little sibling rivalry: "Sansa always got everything I wanted; it's not fair!  She even got to kill Joffrey!"

• Love 3

Was already told, "If you expected a happy ending you have not been paying attention" so I should have remembered that and must for all in the future. 

Grimm supposedly, according to a post I recall on the TV without Pity site, has already joked that in the end everyone will be dead and he will finish with thousands of words describing the winds and environmental conditions as he revists every place people died. 

Still love the show and if Dany becomes Daenerys the Great, assuming setbacks sure to come recovered from, to have her Dragons Fire face the Ice of the Walkers in the end the story will be worth it. After all Dany had a comet with Dragons to show the Powers that Be are on her side. At least if Tyrion buys it now we will not have to face Daenerys' Ottoman Empire on the way up future army plus dragons frying Tyrion as just another Lanister. Because I see no way Dany will suffer any Lanister to live. I think the Walkers will get our man Ramsey after all they taking over the North just in time for the ice zombie apocalypse. 

The Ottoman Empire Army was mostly light horse warriors Turks who fought in the style of the Mongol horde fighting style that ripped up Knight in armor type armies like Westross has. The Dothraki are a good Mongol equivalent. Plus the core of the Ottoman Empire army was a elite unit of men called the Janissaires taken as slaves from Christian areas and made Muslims and actually given great status in the Empire. (funny system where people who were technically slaves basically were key to running the Empire) I’m assuming Dany is going to make good the title over the Dothraki she is clamming by using her Unsullied Dragons and other troops of mercenaries to recruit the Dothraki hordes.

I just hope Twyin and Cersei live long enough to know Dany is coming for them with her iron melting dragons. (how they made that sword throne way hotter than a bonfire)

If all the good possibilities fail will join the linch GRIM gang ;P