Type keyword(s) to search

The View in the Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

That was her. I don't watch The Bachelor, just caught her as it was going off.

The special was better than I expected. They didn't gloss over Whoopi defending Cosby or her and Rosie's fights. Loved how they included Kelly Osbourne's screwup and Perez's reaction. There was way too much Candace compared to how little she's been on or added to the show. Only thing they left out was Whoopi being an asshole to Paula, but they could fill up 30 minutes with those clips.

• Love 5

With the exception of Joy and Sunny, all I can say is I can't believe THESE are the people they are keeping and they kicked Michelle off the show.  Whoopi, Sara, Raven, Paula, Candice and Jeidyaaa just stink compared to her. Actually most of them just stink, period.

I won't be watching because of airhead Sara Haines.

Michelle has been on these "after" Bach shows for a while now so I hope she is doing well. They showed her on The View 20 year special, which I only watched the first half. Nothing new there for me!

That special made me miss Meredith and Rosie O. Too much Candace and definitely too much Star. Good to see Lisa and Debbie. I'm glad Joy was the host and not Whoopi.

• Love 5

(Bugs Bunny voice): Very interrrrrresting that the blonde idiot known as Elisabeth Hasselback wasn't interviewed or participated-considering her heartfelt fake and insincere thanks to Barbara for teaching her journalism.

And no Whoopi, either. I thought the brass loved her annoying and obnoxious ass-they renewed her contract after all!?

I akso enjoyed this and wanted that clip of Bitsy crying to be expanded because we all KNOW that was where she was "upset" because she wasn't allowed to use the N word.

Waaay too much Candace.

I wanted more of Michelle talking about being thrown under the bus. Or was she talking about someone else in the opening clips they showed before the program started?

Hmmm...no Rosie, Jenny, Rosie P. or Cackles Nicolle. Gee, I wonder why?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 3

I finally watched the special this morning and it made me sad.  It seemed so much better than it is now and everything was so much more cordial and fun.  I remember the first several years as really fun - just like sitting down for lunch with good friends.  Yes, Star always said "I'm a lawyer" and Debbie was ditsy and Joy was wise-cracking then too, but it was all part of a team effort.  They teased each other good-naturedly. 

Yeah, I've said this before, but the original show, you got the feeling that they were just a group of women having coffee together and talking - like even if there was no audience or camera, they would chat about stuff.  They seemed to like each other, even if they didn't always agree on everything.

I sometimes watch The Chew, and I get that same feeling.  though it's always about food, there's a camaraderie between the hosts, they tease each other and have fun, so that you get the feeling that when the show is over, the camera crew leaves, and the hosts just keep on hanging out, cooking for each other and talking and laughing.  On The View, you get the feeling that the camera stops taping, there's a race to see who can get away the fastest.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

One thing I did notice last night was The Whoopster's dreads were shorter, but, most of all, her teeth were totally different than they are currently.  Veneers or false?  Just wondering???

Whoopi suffers from dental phobia. I understand that phobia because I have had it too. It took a lot for me to desensitize myself. And it took a long time. I believe she spoke about it or it was covered somewhere. Anyway, she was finally able to get up the courage to get dental work done. I don't know if those are veneers or caps or bridgework. I've had the caps and bridgework. No veneers.

• Love 1

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/08/24/tuesday-final-ratings-aug-23-2016/

Ratings low. Nobody cares about this show anymore.

10 hours ago, backformore said:

Yeah, I've said this before, but the original show, you got the feeling that they were just a group of women having coffee together and talking - like even if there was no audience or camera, they would chat about stuff.  They seemed to like each other, even if they didn't always agree on everything.

I sometimes watch The Chew, and I get that same feeling.  though it's always about food, there's a camaraderie between the hosts, they tease each other and have fun, so that you get the feeling that when the show is over, the camera crew leaves, and the hosts just keep on hanging out, cooking for each other and talking and laughing.  On The View, you get the feeling that the camera stops taping, there's a race to see who can get away the fastest.

Exactly right. IMO that is what Whoopi has done to this show.

• Love 7

The article says

"The full lineup of hosts — Whoopi Goldberg, Raven-Symone, Joy Behar, Candace Cameron Bure, Paula Faris and new permanent co-host Sara Haines —

Contributing co-hosts Sunny Hostin and Jedediah Bila ."

Now there are 6 perm co-hosts and 2 contributing co-hosts- Why do they need 8? They kept CCB, Raven and added airhead Sara Haines but Michelle got the boot.

Do they think replacing Michelle with airhead Sara Haines is going to save this show? Gosh, at least get rid of CCB.

• Love 1

I didn't expect all that much from the "primetime" special, which was buried late on a Tuesday night, in late summer, when only handfuls of people are even tuning in to network television. Yet I actually enjoyed most of the special.

I've watched from Day One, although honestly, I wasn't much into Year One until they finally put Joy around that crammed table fulltime.  She has always been my favorite.  I could care less about "celebrity interviews" or baking secrets or "daily deals" or the latest random Person Of Interest, so have only watched the Tepid (TM) Topics for 19 seasons.  

Random thoughts:

• I loved loved loved loved that Joy was our hostess.
  • I liked that the show didn't whitewash many of its (faux and real) controversial moments.  We didn't really learn very much, but at least they showed extensive clips of those moments. OK, maybe they did whitewash Star's Bridezilla Season, but I will always love watching that moment when she announced on live TV that she wasn't returning.
  • I had never seen the tape of the first walk-through with the originals (I guess in some small ABC office).  I would love to see more of that.
  • I was stunned that Paula Faris was pretty much ignored.  Not that I am unhappy. She was allegedly a rising star at ABC News and if Whoopi has gotten her sidelined, I will give Whoopi an honorary Emmy/Grammy/Oscar/Tony again and again and again, as well as permission to host this show until she keels over.
  • I liked that Meredith/Star/Lisa/Matenopolous got plenty of screen time and extensive "interview snippets".  I understand why they CCB a segment. I think she may have said more in this "primetime event" than a month's worth of actual shows.
  • A bit too much Sherry, although I also recognize that she did her time and basically became famous because of The View.
  • Pretty much "meh" on the video.  Not sure if I will like watching that "blue color" all season long, if that's the remodel of the set that Joy alluded to.  I suppose they will edit it down as part of the show titles and we hopefully won't have Mary J Blige as Honorary co-host.  I thought all  the co-hosts looked really great in the video.  Kudos to the hair/makeup/lighting staff.

Now for some not great things:

• What a big waste of time to have "celebrities" chirping about "20 Years" all show long.  Ick Ick Ick.  I don't care for that type of faux hype.  It's cheap filler and I would have preferred 5-8 minutes of additional clips/interviews.
  • Clearly the current producers wanted to do everything to make Ms Walters look bad.  And I mean Look Bad.  Did they hire kindergartners to do her hair? Or whatever that was on her head.  She sounded fine and able, but the camera angles were unflattering and whoever let her sit in front of the camera was clearly not looking out for her.  Yes, I know it really shouldn't matter what a professional news personality looks like, but it's as if they purposely made her look ridiculous.  Or that no one had the balls to tell her she needed some "updates".

Overall, there really wasn't much to the entire hour. It reminded me of a "E! True Hollywood Story" from back before reality TV took over that channel.  It was maybe a step above the infotainment we get from ET/AccessHollywood/Extra, although honestly I haven't watched any of those shows in the last decade.

I used to think that The View would run forever, sorta like "Meet The Press" or "Today" -- constantly re-inventing itself (in good and bad ways) with co-host changes ad nauseum. I still think that could be the case, though I do wonder if the show has a future beyond Year 20.  They bury a 20-Year Anniversary at the end of summer? On a Tuesday night when no one is watching network TV? Why not air it during September, as a precursor to the New Fall Season -- which doesn't begin in earnest until after ABC airs the Emmys on 09-18-16.

Maybe ABC will force the issue after all and grab that 9AM hour for "GMA Deals-And-Happy-Talk Hour Three" after all, sending Live with Kelly and MrX to 10AM on the local O-and-Os and yielding back the View timeslot to affiliates so they can make money with infomercials.

• Love 1
On 2016-08-25 at 4:26 PM, Vinyasa said:

Now there are 6 perm co-hosts and 2 contributing co-hosts- Why do they need 8? .....

ABC News and the producers must believe that having multiple co-hosts help keep the show fresh and flexible. It probably also saves some money as they basically re-purpose Sunny, Sara, and Mrs Faris (and Jebidahdanbasghedad) on other ABC News programs. CCB and Whoopi both have outside business interests and acting gigs that keep them away.  It seems much better to have a selection of official co-hosts to draw on rather than tossing random celebrity guest hosts at the table. We suffered through that type of show a few years ago.  ABC News may need more than 8 to get through the season, just like they added Sunny and Jed during last season's randomness. 

11 hours ago, Vinyasa said:

Do they think replacing Michelle with airhead Sara Haines is going to save this show? Gosh, at least get rid of CCB.

I don't think even Sara's parents and grandparent believe she will "save this show". She's never going to be confused for a mensa member or Katie Couric 2.0, but she is a capable interviewer and new mother, which ABC likely has identified as a key demographic. CCB also caters to a specific demographic and maybe she will learn to express her views better in her random appearances this year.  She contributed zilch last season. mostly because she doesn't live in NYC, never developed any rapport with her castmates, prioritizes being a working actress, and seems terrified to be open about her family/views/choices.

I agree that Michelle had her moments. I think she actually would have done better in the JennyMcCarthy season, when the focus was on vapid celebri-tainment, yukking it up, and being about as deep as ankle high water.  She's smart, but she also clearly has a Reality TV appreciation.  That's why she does well on VH1 clip shows and hosting other reality related programming.

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

I don't think even Sara's parents and grandparent believe she will "save this show". She's never going to be confused for a mensa member or Katie Couric 2.0, but she is a capable interviewer and new mother, which ABC likely has identified as a key demographic. CCB also caters to a specific demographic and maybe she will learn to express her views better in her random appearances this year.  She contributed zilch last season. mostly because she doesn't live in NYC, never developed any rapport with her castmates, prioritizes being a working actress, and seems terrified to be open about her family/views/choices.

I agree that Michelle had her moments. I think she actually would have done better in the JennyMcCarthy season, when the focus was on vapid celebri-tainment, yukking it up, and being about as deep as ankle high water.  She's smart, but she also clearly has a Reality TV appreciation.  That's why she does well on VH1 clip shows and hosting other reality related programming.

I liked Michelle most of the time. I listened to a snippet of Jenny McCarthy's radio show on Sirius (sometimes she will get an interesting guest) and she said that The View hired her because of just what you said (vapid celebri-tainment, etc) and then had talks with her behind the scenes to reel it in. She said she wasn't a good fit with what they really wanted - which was not her in her natural form. 

• Love 1

I'm surprised that they've been showing repeats with Michelle in them. I thought she did a good job when she was on. ABC seems to like her since she was on the special and contributes to the Bachelor follow up shoes, but maybe they just didn't like her on The View.  She would be great on a Soup-like show. 

It's funny that since Michelle's been gone several posters have expressed they really enjoyed her on the show.  All I can remember are lovingly written posts like "Shut up Michelle"!

I don't think Michelle enjoyed her short stay at the View.  I think she begged to be let out of her contract early.  It can't have been easy to try and discuss anything with this bunch of idiots, save for Joy.  If production loved Paula, Candace and Sarah they must've hated Michelle.  And the studio audience consisting mainly of tourists, retirees and housewives is hardly Michelle's base.

• Love 4

Michelle annoyed the hell out of me in the beginning with the constant interruptions to try and make some kind of lame joke.  But I had noticed a marked improvement in her though, as if she really cared about doing a good job and she was taking feedback seriously and learning how to improve. And then a couple of times toward the end, it seemed like she found her backbone and she stood up against some stupid comments from people and I thought she had real potential.  Then they unceremoniously dumped her. 

She was one of the only people (aside from Sunny) that joined the cast in the last several seasons who actually managed to become better at her job and more likable ... as opposed to growing more grating and annoying like Nicole and Paula and Jediblah have done.  Or just being completely hopeless right from the start like Candice and Raven and Rosie Perez.  

When I think about the people who have come and gone in the last couple of years, Michelle has been the only one I was not happy to see leave. And that includes Rosie Odonnell, mainly because watching her sit there and suffer was just too much to take. 

• Love 8

If production loved Paula, Candace and Sarah they must've hated Michelle.

Exactly!

I don't think Michelle got a fair chance. They started phasing her out as they were phasing airhead Sara Haines in and that has never happened before to a cohost. Airhead Sara was there almost everyday starting Feb, the over the top baby shower and Mother's day show, was a slap in the face to Michelle and I believe people started thinking Michelle was better than airhead Sara.

Then Michelle was just removed from the show opening and not a word was said as if she didn't even exist. Even Bitsy got a 5 minute goodbye!

So on it goes airhead Sara, CCB, Paula and add in Raven so no brain power among them.  This show would be over without Joy!

• Love 1

I think the reason why Bitsy got to say goodbye was because Barbara was still there. And Rosie O'Donnell was a producer, so she got to say her own good-bye, and like her or hate her, Rosie Perez is very well known, hence she also got to say good-bye.

Michelle? I'd never heard of her before I saw her on this show. All I knew was that the majority of who had posted, didn't care for her, because she kept making jokes where jokes were not needed; to make herself noticeable? I don't know. And this is just my speculation, I have no proof, nor have I read it anywhere, but since Sara was part of the GMA family, and the show is now under its news division, it was just a matter of "keeping it in the family" since, if we are to believe it (I don't. I could take or leave Michelle--meaning, I was mostly indifferent to her), "people" didn't "like her" and they chose to replace her with Sara. This latest thing of rotating hosts/cohosts is very wearying and so stupid, when you consider what this show was supposed to be about and the special reminded me.  I miss the couch.

• Love 5

This latest thing of rotating hosts/cohosts is very wearying and so stupid, when you consider what this show was supposed to be about and the special reminded me.

Absolutely!  Next season, you won't know who will be showing up each day or what chair they will be sitting in.  I'm waiting for the day when more of them walk out than there are chairs at the table.

Likely CCB won't be there for weeks and then show up out of no where. On days when they need Sunny for some legal story, she'll be out.

When we just can't take any more political talk, Jediasdfghjkl will endlessly ramble on. Airhead Sara Haines will sit there with the puzzled look on her face and not speak until 20 minutes into the show. Raven will be glued to Twitter. Days with out Joy will be worthless.

Edited by Vinyasa
  • Love 3

Paula and Michelle were the reverse situation with me. I liked Paula at first, and found her very unlikable over time (although I think she's still the best conservative they'll find, going by the other examples these past two years); Michelle annoyed me at first, but I eventually to a point that I looked forward to seeing her. Unfortunately, just when I started to feel that way, she all but disappeared except twice a month. And I can't think of why she was fired, but Paula/Raven/Candace are being "phased out." I'd say it was because she was unknown, but so is Paula. And she will remain an ABC employee after The View just like Paula. I wish she were on some show I could watch because I hate The Bachelor.

So I think this season and last season were about even since I only liked 2 co-hosts both times, with several other co-hosts making it a chore to sit through to see the ones I do like. I'd almost say next season will be a little better with Sunny/Sara, but I think Jedi will tip the scale over into rotten all by herself.

• Love 4

Michelle also had 2 incidents this season. The Carly Fiorina and the Nurse comments which got the View heavily criticized by the entire media and public. and the nurse comment literally lost the view sponsors so money.

Edited by Bmarsh
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Bmarsh said:

Michelle also had 2 incidents this season. The Carly Fiorina and the Nurse comments which got the View heavily criticized by the entire media and public.

Yes, I forgot about those, although I did think at the time they were blown waaaaay out of proportion.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

Yes, I forgot about those, although I did think at the time they were blown waaaaay out of proportion.

I think the nurse one was but the carly comment looked incredibly hypocritical when they previously slammed donald for commenting on carly's face

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Bmarsh said:

I think the nurse one was but the carly comment looked incredibly hypocritical when they previously slammed donald for commenting on carly's face

I think she just blew "the joke" about Carly & it wasn't what she meant to say .... but I may be wrong.  Actually, I think Carly has "classic" features, which I like.

• Love 1

I don't really buy that as a reason for Michelle being gone. For one, the show has had worse controversies and kept chugging. But moreover, the ratings were unaffected by either one of those. (Btw, I find both controversies stupid. A Miss Universe contestant talking about her job as her talent is laughable and Carly Fiorina does look demented when she smiles.) And if they were really that bad, why would ABC then want to keep Michelle employed on another show?

And there’s also the fact that Paula, Candace, and Raven have all said disgusting things regularly that didn’t get picked up by the news.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 7

One thing I gleaned from the "20 Year Special" was how very important the chemistry between the co-hosts is - it can make or break the show.  Meredith, Joy, Starr, and Lisa had great chemistry.   

And honestly, I don't think Whoopi has ever had good chemistry with anyone all these years.  Until Babs split it wasn't as noticeable but geezus, since it's become Whoopi's View.   When Whoopi is out, like on Fridays, the whole vibe at the table is different.  

Michelle should count her blessings she got out.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, merriebreeze said:

Kudos to The View's make up team (or is it the lighting crew?). Sunny looks so much better on The View than she does on GMA.

I think the lighting has won the most daytime emmy awards of anything on this show... and for good reason.  

• Love 3

I was surprised that everyone gave Whoopi birthday gifts  except for Paula - though I wasn't surprised considering how mistreated she has been.   It was so obvious that perhaps she shouldn't h ave been on the show.

I had just been looking to see if there were anything juicy with Raven announcing she was leaving the show, and came across this:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/ABCs-THE-VIEW-Lifetime-to-Team-for-Primetime-Election-Special-Airing-Live-118-20161027

It’s the same website that often posted View ratings (they’ve been outperforming The Talk all year). I’ll definitely be watching if Joy is there. Don’t much care about the rest. Of course Jedidiah will be there, ugh. Maybe Whoopi will be too lazy to show up, so we’ll at least be spared her.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Oh, are you kidding?  Who came up with this awesome idea!  Hell to the YEAH! 

If I can watching Candice Cameron Burka have a stroke and keel over on live TV when HRC is elected POTUS, I am IN!!!

11 minutes ago, NextIteration said:

Well shit, this is going on the DVR fo sho.

I was going to come here and throw shade at them for this. Because they're just copying what Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert did for years and their shows were SO MUCH BETTER. And that I'm going to call my cable company, just to get Showtime to watch Stephen Colbert's special just for Election Day/Night.

But I may just dvr this and watch it just to see Chipmunk's and Jediblabla's heads explode.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 5

Can't wait until Monday, when a certain panel member says it was foretold in the bible, the 2016 presidential election should be cancelled, then reading verses to confirm those words, along with other verses which say that's why the christian candidate should be immediately appointed president. Appointed by who Jesus....the Supreme Court.....Elvis?