Type keyword(s) to search

The View in the Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

I think ABC is going to use this year as transition year.  Trying different co-hosts with each other.  Seeing which ones have a chemistry and work well together.  I definitely think this is Whoopi's last year.  Once she is gone I might consider coming back.  Especially if Joy and Rosie are there. But if Sherri is at the table then I'm still gone.  Think ABC before you offer long term contracts.

• Love 6

I doubt ABC or the Spew will sign anyone to more than an annual contract anymore, and I agree that this will be Whoopi's last year - if she makes it that long.

The only way RO will return is if Whoopi is gone for good. I don't want RO back on the show with the tension like it was at the onset of last season. It was too stressful to watch.

• Love 4

Well like that article says, and Rosie O said as well last season....she would come back and make sporadic appearances so I could see this hopefully.  If anything I really would like her to come on at least once and just confront Whoopi at least once for all the hypocrisy just like she did to Bitsy on he first go round.

• Love 3

Maybe she'll be on Friday's when Joy is the moderator?

That was my first thought, too. That would be smart and enjoyable. Whoopi is acutely alpha (and maybe too competitive) around Rosie and, yes, it's just lousy, tense television.

• Love 6

Maybe she'll be on Friday's when Joy is the moderator?

Oh please...NO!  That would ruin the joy of Joy being there, as far as I'm concerned.  Let's let Joy shine for a while - it took long enough to get her back.

If there were any good to come of a Joy/Rosie matchup, it would come when Rosie once again went off the rails and showed, once and for all, that she's a major whack-o.  If RO wasn't happy about Whoopi being Moderator, she wouldn't be happy with Joy either.  RO always has to run the show.  I know YMMV!

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 1

I don't think Joy would be concerned with power-tripping like Whoopi did. You know I wonder if this isn't a case of Joy reaching out to Rosie O anyway?

Have they ever said what the "contributors" will do anyway? Will they have a segment by themselves, or will they be sitting at the table with the co-hosts, or on the couch like a guest?

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 1

I would LOVE to see a Rosie/Whoopi smack-down.  The Whoopster wouldn't have a prayer.  LOL.

Didn't that already happen?  And, the outcome was that within weeks Rosie tucked her tail under and was gone again.  Sure, her marriage was on the rocks, but that wasn't her only reason for leaving the show.

The Rosie/Whoopi exchange can be seen here:

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2014/12/whoopi-goldberg-roise-odonnell-shouting-match-the-view/

• Love 1

I see it as Rosie not willing to go through it again. She was excoriated in the media for the last go-round with Bitsy, and this time her relationship was on the rocks and she was in the middle of a stressful situation with her soon to be ex-wife.

She did a fantastic job moderating while Whoopi was "out with a back issue", and left when Whoopi came back and she was demoted once again despite her far superior performance.  Who could blame her?

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 10

The final paragraph....

Behar can be seen on the show five days a week for three months until Candace Cameron Burre returns from filming "Fuller House." After that, she will be on most days and will moderate every Friday in place of Goldberg - who is plans to work four days a week..

Ha!  I KNEW Whoopi wouldn't give up her four day "work" week.  

Along with the six co-hosts there are five contributors. Why are eleven people needed?

Contributors:

Padma Lakshmi

Stacy London

Ana Navarro

Sherri Shepherd

Molly Sims

Have they ever said what the "contributors" will do anyway? Will they have a segment by themselves, or will they be sitting at the table with the co-hosts, or on the couch like a guest?

I could be wrong but I understood "contributors" to mean a stable of rotating guest co-hosts; this would eliminate the random people this show has had rotating in and out for the past few years whenever one or more of the co-hosts don't make it in.  It would also stop what I can only imagine as the last minute scramble to fill a seat that mostly resulted in someone from ABC News (GMA) filling in.  I wonder if the GMA staff used to pull short straws to see who had to come, lol.

And it sounds like all six co-hosts won't be there all the time either - we already know that Whoopi isn't going to show up on Fridays.

• Love 5

Ha!  I KNEW Whoopi wouldn't give up her four day "work" week.  

I could be wrong but I understood "contributors" to mean a stable of rotating guest co-hosts; this would eliminate the random people this show has had rotating in and out for the past few years whenever one or more of the co-hosts don't make it in.  It would also stop what I can only imagine as the last minute scramble to fill a seat that mostly resulted in someone from ABC News (GMA) filling in.  I wonder if the GMA staff used to pull short straws to see who had to come, lol.

And it sounds like all six co-hosts won't be there all the time either - we already know that Whoopi isn't going to show up on Fridays.

So, Friday will be must-see-tv as far as The View goes.  No blathering dead weight. 

• Love 7

I guess the contributors is maybe a good idea if there isn't just random people who are afraid to talk on all the time. I'm hoping the time off and new role will make Joy more feisty. Ken Tucker in his review of The View during Rosie's tenure mentioned Rosie re-awaken Joy and they were partners in common sense. I hope she annoys Whoopi so much she quits!

• Love 3

Here's a thought -  Maybe the producers decided they wanted to run the show 5 days.  Whoopi's contract says 4 days/week.  So part of bringing back Joy is  to try out how Joy would do as moderator by having her moderate on Fridays.  it's obvious Whoop has been phoning it in for a while now. Maybe this is the beginning of the end for Whoopi and The View.

• Love 7

I doubt many people enjoy WG bloviating, lecturing, and pointing her finger.

IMO Whoopi hated it when Walters moderated on (pretaped) Fridays. Or when RO did when she was out "for back problems."

She was really po'd when Rosie first returned and the audience went wild screaming "Rosie, Rosie, Rosie" and clapping wildly.

I do wish Nicolle was going to be on (and I'm a Dem) but I did get very tired of NW mothering WG.

• Love 7

Here's a thought -  Maybe the producers decided they wanted to run the show 5 days.  Whoopi's contract says 4 days/week.  So part of bringing back Joy is  to try out how Joy would do as moderator by having her moderate on Fridays.  it's obvious Whoop has been phoning it in for a while now. Maybe this is the beginning of the end for Whoopi and The View.

We can only hope (& pray)!!!

• Love 5

So here I thought I was done with The View for good, as I haven't turned it on for more than a minute or two since Rosie left.  And now here I am looking forward to watching on Tuesday!  

I've always liked Joy, so like last year with Rosie, they've managed to bring back a host to entice me back.  And I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Sherri ever since she was guest-hosting on that infamous split-screen day and she kept begging them to go to commercial.

Depending on which Whoopi shows up this season (I liked original version all those years back) I may only watch on Joy-Fridays.  We'll see.

• Love 3

I can't believe The View is sucking me back in. I want to see Joy. I'm settings my DVR. I'm sure I'll be running away soon, since WG is still there, it will take me about a week to remember how absolutely horrible she is.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 3

Depending on which Whoopi shows up this season (I liked original version all those years back) I may only watch on Joy-Fridays.  We'll see.

I was a casual fan of Whoopi during the Joy/Sherri/Elisabeth years. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that Whoopi'll be coming back (on this show, at least). And it may be that my view of her has colored so much after not just the craziness with Rosie, but also the Cosby/all male abusers defense, that I'm not sure I'd be able to enjoy her again anyway.

Still, I have my Joy fix, so I'll be able to suffer through the rest. lol

• Love 4

So here I thought I was done with The View for good, as I haven't turned it on for more than a minute or two since Rosie left.  And now here I am looking forward to watching on Tuesday!

Me too! 

I'm still trying to figure out who Michelle is. Never ever heard of her.

• Love 3

I was a casual fan of Whoopi during the Joy/Sherri/Elisabeth years. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that Whoopi'll be coming back (on this show, at least). And it may be that my view of her has colored so much after not just the craziness with Rosie, but also the Cosby/all male abusers defense, that I'm not sure I'd be able to enjoy her again anyway.

I was a casual fan back then too, but whenever I did tune in I always thought Whoopi came across as intelligent and more or less of the same opinion as me.  Maybe it was just when comparing to Elisabeth who i really disliked that made Whoopi more likable. 

This last season, with the Whoopi hate towards Rosie, plus her tacky bodily function humour, and of course the Cosby defense, I found myself liking her less and less until it was bordering on hate.  So once Rosie was gone, so was I.

Hiring Joy back will get me to tune in at least on Tuesday.  Hopefully I can make it through the whole hour!

• Love 2

I was a casual fan back then too, but whenever I did tune in I always thought Whoopi came across as intelligent and more or less of the same opinion as me.  Maybe it was just when comparing to Elisabeth who i really disliked that made Whoopi more likable. 

This last season, with the Whoopi hate towards Rosie, plus her tacky bodily function humour, and of course the Cosby defense, I found myself liking her less and less until it was bordering on hate.  So once Rosie was gone, so was I.

I always said that Whoopi's loyal to a fault in regards to her friends, when I would defend why I could still like her after things like Mel Gibson, Polanski, etc., but the Cosby thing seemed so much worse. I believe the difference was that she did her best to shame all the female accusers.

Actually, while on that thought, I’ve always wondered if part of the reason Whoopi was so hostile towards Rosie O from the beginning--apart from actually being asked to "work"--was that, perhaps, she blamed Rosie O for Joy, Sherri, and Elisabeth leaving the show? (re: That story Elisabeth gave about her brief moment with Rosie O at the reunion for Barbara’s last show, where it seemed as if Rosie O was taking over reigns of the show’s direction after Barbara left.) In other words, she was deliberately trying to ruin the season with Rosie O out of loyalty to her former co-hosts/friends.

Who knows, but it does more easily read as ego. Having another celebrity (Rosie O) come in and seem as if they're calling the shots probably made her wonder why she wasn't the one in charge since she'd been there for years and Barbara was finally gone.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 1

I don't really recall any major incidents b/t Rosie O and Joy, but of course at the time there was a bigger idiot...or two, in the room both had to contend w/.

Yeah, they get along. I've even heard Joy defending Rosie again Hasslebeck.  Yeah, Joy seems to be against all the constant Rosie hate talk. And I listen to black radio and even Sherri was on there defending her. The radio host asked her why is Rosie so mean, and Sherri said I don't know about that because Rosie was the one who helped her with her contract on the View. I guess when she was renegotiating and she said that Rosie advised her as to what to ask for etc.. 

I don't know where Tom Joyner got that Rosie was mean, I had no idea what he was talking about. Maybe you would get the impression that she's hard to work with but that does not mean she's a flat out mean person, at least not to me. I was like WTH is he talking about, he doesn't even know her, has had no interaction with her.

I'll tell you what, for such a mean person, that talk show she had on ABC years ago sure gave me some joy to watch.  Like I said it was always bubbly, bright and positive.

So was her recent stand up show on HBO, funny and informative, HEPPP, hot, exhausted a pain, pale, puke....it was a good show.

Boy, people have such a mob mentality, just gang up and pile shit on when they don't like someone, it's relentless. 

Edited by represent
  • Love 4

The View was featured on GMA today. The four newer hosts were on to talk about the new season.
Whoopi and Joy were MIA- What a way to start the new season!
Looks like is gonna be a year of Us and Them.

Edited by springtime

So, the producers are finally saying out loud what every single person who watches has known for months/years.  Yes ABC, Whoopi is annoying and terrible at this job and contributes nothing but nonsense.  And in other news, water is wet.

http://radaronline.c...berg-exit-show/

Well duh.  But I do disagree with the article saying bringing Sherri back might help the View.  Am I living in an alternate universe where a woman who walked away from and tried to disown a child she knowingly and willingly brought into this world is not looked at as a horrible person?  I understand Sherri has her devoted fans but IMO most people who watch the View don't have a favorable opinion of her. 

• Love 10

Well, duh, from me too.   Took them long enough to see that despite all their changes, 2 things stayed the same - the dropping ratings and the moderator.

There was a rumour about bringing back Rosie.  She did say when she left that she would be back for craft segments, so maybe they can somehow incorporate that into the new (again) show.  And maybe bring back Barbara to join her, as they were sweet together.  If they did it on a "live" Friday show there'd be no Whoopi to clash with Rosie.  A little ironic though since it was Rosie who orginally instigated the pre-taped Friday shows.

• Love 5

I read that radar article, and i'm sorry if they don't like Whoopi, ABC would just buy out her contract and give her the boot, just like Raven and anyone else. ABC isn't that stingy that it's going to let a contract play itself out and let ratings continue to flounder just for the money.

• Love 1

I read that radar article, and i'm sorry if they don't like Whoopi, ABC would just buy out her contract and give her the boot, just like Raven and anyone else. ABC isn't that stingy that it's going to let a contract play itself out and let ratings continue to flounder just for the money.

I don't know about that.  There are some pretty big egos at play here.  I would absolutely believe Whoopi got tired of the View and instead of requesting to be let out of her contract started acting in such a way that cause ABC to want to get rid of her.  If she voluntarily leaves she forfeits the money but if they ask her leave she gets the money.  ABC probably said no, you stay.  From everything I have read the View for some inexplicable reason makes money no matter what.  Do the suits care what kind of reviews the show gets?  Probably not.  But I do think Whoopi's indefensible defense of Bill Cosby might have made them rethink things just a little bit.  If she lasts the entire season I will be amazed.

• Love 7

I don't know about that.  There are some pretty big egos at play here.  I would absolutely believe Whoopi got tired of the View and instead of requesting to be let out of her contract started acting in such a way that cause ABC to want to get rid of her.  If she voluntarily leaves she forfeits the money but if they ask her leave she gets the money.  ABC probably said no, you stay.  From everything I have read the View for some inexplicable reason makes money no matter what.  Do the suits care what kind of reviews the show gets?  Probably not.  But I do think Whoopi's indefensible defense of Bill Cosby might have made them rethink things just a little bit.  If she lasts the entire season I will be amazed.

Honestly I thought we were going to be surprised and Whoopi was not coming back for this year..... maybe you are right.

Just like Bitsy never developed interviewing skills, Whoopi never really became a good moderator. In fact, I think she's gotten worse at it. She struggles reading the teleprompter and when she falters, she falls back on a shock routine - talk of eggs dropping, vibrators, farting, sagging boobs. It may have worked in her comedy routine, but it ain't working now. It's not funny - it's offensive. 

• Love 8

Did anyone see the interview on ET tonight with Joy & Whoopi?  The reporter asked them if Rosie was coming back and immediately Whoopi said "no". Joy looked puzzled and said to Whoopi "she's not"?  To which Whoopi said with a scowl, "NO...not gonna happen!"  Joy didn't reply, but mumbled "maybe it's a rumor".

Who the fuck is Whoopi to emphatically say "not gonna happen"? I hate this bitch so much...and ABC for giving her so much power. UGH!

• Love 15

Just like Bitsy never developed interviewing skills, Whoopi never really became a good moderator. In fact, I think she's gotten worse at it. She struggles reading the teleprompter and when she falters, she falls back on a shock routine - talk of eggs dropping, vibrators, farting, sagging boobs. It may have worked in her comedy routine, but it ain't working now. It's not funny - it's offensive.

The producers of this show think that anyone can be a host/ moderator. (A difficult job- especially at a table with four others trying to do the same thing at the same time!) Being an actress or a stand up comedian is not preparation for it! Edited by springtime
  • Love 2

The producers of this show think that anyone can be a host/ moderator. (A difficult job- especially at a table with four others trying to do the same thing at the same time!) Being an actress or a stand up comedian is not preparation for it!

A moderator needs to be willing to listen to other people talk.  Whoopi isn't. Her ego is too big to allow that.  Meredith was awesome as a moderator. But she was journalist.  She was used to interviewing people.  Rosie O was good also.  Because she had previously been a talk show host.  They both understood you bring up a topic and throw it to others to discuss.  You don't sit there and pontificate about the topic and then look to the others to agree with you.

• Love 10

Hasselbeck and her two morons ran a clip of The View yesterday claiming that they were silencing DJ Tanner because she is a conservative.  The clip was where Michelle took a dig at Kim Davis's appearance.  They were outraged that a show about women would dare judge any woman for anything.  What?  If they had continued the clip for a few more seconds, it would have been a non-story as Joy did immediately speak up and call out Michelle for the shot.  They added that The View is just afraid of a fair and balanced discussion and therefore left out DJ.   Lmao.

And I hadn't seen the footage of Kim Davis leaving the jail until this morning.  Best.  Display.  Of.  Lunatics.  Ever.  With theme music!!!

• Love 5

Here is the video that shows Whoopi being a total bitch when asked if Rosie was coming back

http://www.etonline.com/tv/171484_whoopi_goldberg_says_rosie_o_donnell_will_not_make_an_appearance_on_the_view_this_season/

That was like flipping a switch….Whoopi just went to dark place at the mere mention of Rosie O.  

Survivor and the writer of "Eye of the Tiger" is NOT happy that their song was used for the likes of Kim Davis and her beliefs.

So would I.  It was just hysterical to me.  Was she a POW returning from Vietnam, or a gibberish-talking government clerk walking out of the small town clink?  Couldn't believe my eyes.

• Love 8