Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

Anyway, I'm sad that Sasha isn't on the tour. I can't imagine it was his idea. This happened to him before - he was signed up to do the HAL cruises and his picture even came up on the screen in the theatre on the ship, yet he either backed out or was dropped at the last minute, and I think it was the latter.

Poor wee lad just can't get no respect :(

I mean, they've got Julian Tocker who hasn't been in the troupe on DWTS for several seasons - and some stranger I've never seen before - so they're good enough to be male pros on tour, but not Sasha ???  It makes me wonder if he'll be back next season.

From everything I've heard, it was Sasha's decision to sit this one out - he's got an extended trip to Australia planned for the holidays to visit family. 

https://twitter.com/SashaFarber/status/674266409409490944

I don't believe he'd turn down a two-month tour with his girlfriend. It's a lot of money and a lot of exposure. I think DWTS decided not to have Sasha on the tour. Which makes me wonder if he'll be back next season :(

Was she ever really big?  I thought she was kind of a joke. 

She used the term faux pas incorrectly.  The definition is, "an embarrassing or tactless act or remark in a social situation."  

She made a mistake going on the show, she did not lick her knife at the dinner table!   Jesus. 

ETA:  I know this is harsh.  It annoys me when people misuse this expression!   

Edited by wings707

I was not comfortable. My partner, although he was very good, I don’t think we were well matched. I’m very short, he was very tall. It was hard to keep up with his stride, for one. I think it was just a bad matching and that was probably the reason it didn’t work.

I don't mind Keo as a dancer, but at the same time, this sounds like a lot of his fault. They've had bad and/or mismatched pairs before - 5'4" Cheryl danced with very tall  6'7" Rick Fox, 5'4" Elena Grineko danced with 6'7" Clyde Drexler, and even this season 5'5" Karina danced with ~5'2" Victor Espinoza. IIRC they all acknowledged the awkward or unconventional partnership and tried their best to do something despite it.

Sounds like Keo just isn't really someone that's able to tailor his teaching style to his pro or the circumstances he's given very well.

• Love 1

Was she ever really big? I thought she was kind of a joke.

She used the term faux pas incorrectly. The definition is, "an embarrassing or tactless act or remark in a social situation."

She made a mistake going on the show, she did not lick her knife at the dinner table! Jesus.

ETA: I know this is harsh. It annoys me when people misuse this expression!

She was in the very popular (at the time) funk band Rufus from its inception in 1972 until its dissolution in 1983. They had hits such as Tell Me Something Good.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rufus_(band)

She has 10 Grammys & a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, among other awards. And she's also appeared in the movies & the Broadway stage (playing Miss Sofia in The Color Purple). She's also sold an estimated 70 million records worldwide.

After Rufus broke up, she started a solo career. As a solo artist, she's had hits such as I'm Every Woman (the late Whitney Houston later "name checked" her, saying "Chaka Khan" over the music in her own hit "cover" version of the same song; I think Chaka also appears briefly in the video for Whitney's version of the song), Through the Fire, & Feels Like Heaven, a duet with former Chicago lead singer Peter Cetera. She also does a duet with Rod Stewart on You Send Me from Thanks for the Memory: The Great American Songbook Volume IV, 1 of his Great American Songbook series CDs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaka_Khan

So, no, I wouldn't consider Chaka Khan a joke. At least speaking for myself.

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 7

Chaka Khan was fairly popular in the 70's and big in the 80's.  She's had several hits. YMMV - My dad would play her music when I was growing up, so I never thought of her as a joke.  I was so excited for her to be on this season and was disappointed after she danced.  

I'm thinking that she hated the process so much that she didn't try and seemed lost at times.  Sounds like she wasn't expecting it to be so time consuming and regimented. It doesn't sound like a different partner would have helped the situation.  

I also think that Keo doesn't adjust his movements to highlight his partners like other pros would. He has talent, it would be interesting to see Keo with a pro that is a contender. I'd like to see him stay on the show longer.  I'm disappointed that we never got to see his 'about me' package. 

Also, congrats to Witney on her wedding! 

• Love 1

I remember reading before the season that Chaka Khan was getting tips from Miss Patti about the show, and that excited me because Miss Patti was an absolute joy, so I am not really sure why the process came as such a shock to her. 

• Love 1

I think the pro you get really plays a great deal into the celebrities' experiences. Artem had lots of experience coming from SCD and seems to adapt well to different partners. While Keo certainly hasn't gotten any type of real contenders, none of his partners have clicked with him at all it seems. He just may not be cut out to teach amateurs with limited dancing ability...

• Love 2

Keo doesn't dance down to his partners. He creates choreography that showcases himself and expects his partners to keep up. I can easily see him pushing Chaka Khan through multiple rehearsals to try and refine movements she was never going to have. Artem knew he wasn't going to win with Patti and basically let her do whatever she wanted to the best of her ability. So I can understand why both "divas" had vastly different experiences.

If we have to keep Keo, I wouldn't mind seeing him with a middle of the road dancer who is supposed to go far but who is not necessarily a ringer. Think Lea Thompson or Danica McKeller or Audrina Partridge. Charlotte McKinney was probably supposed to be that test, but she checked out pretty quickly. For me, Keo needs one more chance before I write him off completely.

On paper, Keo should've had raw dance material to work with in his first two opportunities. Lolo and Charlotte (a Summer/Winter Olympian and a model with a ridiculous body) respectively. Unfortunately Lolo ended up being one of the all-time DWTS head cases and Charlotte didn't do him (or herself) any favors with the behind the scenes rehearsal footage that showed off a less than likable personality on her part and as a combined pair.

That being said, and with what we were able to see in the footage with Charlotte......Keo doesn't seem to have developed much variety in his teaching arsenal. He doesn't seem particularly able to adjust course if his celebrity is struggling or not picking up the choreography. His own personality which borders on some combination of smug/aloof/cocky also doesn't help the equation. If it wasn't for Redfoo, he'd be coming off 3 straight seasons as the first elimination. If that doesn't scream "back to the troupe" for some Lindsay type seasoning, I'm not sure what does...

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 2

I don't dislike Keo, but I am not nuts about his dancing.  Something about his lines often (not always) seems off to me. And I still don't understand how a professional dancer can be a duckwalker.  I agree that he needs to stay in the troupe for a while, but to point out the obvious: given his early elims, he's been in the troupe for a fair amount of time already.

I'd really like to see Henry come out of the troupe again, but I think he blew some of his chances somehow (perhaps the fooferaw with Derek and Nadia (ooops Nastia, as pointed out below), if that indeed happened.)  

Edited by crowceilidh

I don't dislike Keo, but I am not nuts about his dancing.  Something about his lines often (not always) seems off to me. And I still don't understand how a professional dancer can be a duckwalker.  I agree that he needs to stay in the troupe for a while, but to point out the obvious: given his early elims, he's been in the troupe for a fair amount of time already.

I'd really like to see Henry come out of the troupe again, but I think he blew some of his chances somehow (perhaps the fooferaw with Derek and Nadia, if that indeed happened.)  

This makes me wonder what Keo is doing after his early eliminations.   I wonder if he doesn't consider himself part of the troupe since he started each season as a competing pro and therefore doesn't have to assist the other competing pros or observe their rehearsals.  By being assigned a star, he may consider himself equal in ability to all the other competing pros and may not be taking the opportunity to learn from the others since the show has indicated he is already as good as the others. He may then view his early eliminations as the fault of his stars instead of the fault of his teaching ability.

Re Henry, I got the feeling Henry just got fed up with the whole show and whatever allegedly went down with Derek might have been the final straw - that is, if something actually did happen with Derek.  (IMO, Nastia didn't seem to have any issue with Henry and they seemed to get along just fine.)

Edited by Uke

Val made a mistake here , but he was not trying to body-shame the child and it is not obvious, looking at the picture, that she has Down's syndrome(my point being that he was not callously calling out a disabled child). He was making a statement about the childhood obesity epidemic and the fact that parents who do not monitor their children's diets are setting them up for a far greater chance of serious health issues, Diabetes,Cancer, High Blood Pressure... He went so far as to call it child abuse.

He should not have used the meme but it is obvious that it was a ham-handed attempt to address a serious and important issue that he feels passionately about.

He is going to take a big hit from his haters for this. I hope and believe he will educate himself and then use his public platform to bring attention to the problem in a less alienating manner.

By the way, he did mention his mother's struggle with her weight.

Edited by gohawks

That's why I personally never post memes of real people because you just never know and I'm not even famous. When you're in the public eye and there are people watching and commenting on what you do, that's just too easy to get yourself in trouble. Just recently I read a story about this man who was made into a meme that many people went around posting, calling him the crack version of Steph Curry (basketball player) because he looked a little like Curry but was very, very skinny.

Well turns out the man has been battling cancer for years. You just never know and to err on the side of caution, in my opinion, just avoid posting images of everyday people. Celebrity memes are one thing because they're public figures and the images are usually from some award show, performance, etc. Also, not for nothing but I'm not surprised Val finally stepped in it because from what I've heard, he's always on some damn soap box about something on social media. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

That's why I personally never post memes of real people because you just never know and I'm not even famous. When you're in the public eye and there are people watching and commenting on what you do, that's just too easy to get yourself in trouble. Just recently I read a story about this man who was made into a meme that many people went around posting, calling him the crack version of Steph Curry (basketball player) because he looked a little like Curry but was very, very skinny.

Well turns out the man has been battling cancer for years. You just never know and to err on the side of caution, in my opinion, just

avoid posting images of everyday people. Celebrity memes are one thing because they're public figures and the images are usually from some award show, performance, etc. Also, not for nothing but I'm not surprised Val finally stepped in it because from what I've heard, he's always on some damn soap box about something on social media.

It's one of the things I like about Val. He comes across as real vs scripted and pandering. In "real life" people have opinions and make mistakes.

It's no worse than Princess Blackface from a few Halloweens back.

Edited by gohawks
  • Love 1

It's one of the things I like about Val. He comes across as real vs scripted and pandering. In "real life" people have opinions and make mistakes.

It is similar, in that neither intended to hurt anyone, and yet they did. After Julianne's, she issued an apology (a proper apology, not a "I'm sorry if you were offended apology,") and later said in some interview that she was mortified by her ignorance on the subject. The way she handled that made me like her a bit more, actually. She did something real dumb, got called out on it, and instead of getting defensive and doubling down, she seemed to take some time to educate herself on why it was dumb, and apologized. 

I also like Val's outspokenness a lot of the time, but he definitely put his foot in it this time, and then he doubled down. And he hurt someone. He didn't intend to, but he did. That was before it came out that the girl had Downs syndrome, so we'll see what he does now. I don't think he needs to flagellate himself or anything, but I hope he reaches out to the girl's family, at least privately, and I hope that he's learned something. Especially since one of the other things I like about Val is all the work he does with kids, especially sick kids, and if this girl had been one of his kids I bet he'd feel awful. 

• Love 2

Yes. The pictures of that cute little idea were absolutely revolting.

Witney - her dress/veil kind of overwhelms IMO her but she does look lovely.

Edited by tearbender

Val is a dumbass, plain and simple. Even dumber than Miss Blackface, who at least had the common sense to apologize publicly. I don't think he has admitted doing anything wrong. It would go a long way if he apologized to the girl and her family.

Edited by boyznkatz

Val is a dumbass, plain and simple. Even dumber than Miss Blackface, who at least had the common sense to apologize publicly. I don't think he has admitted doing anything wrong. It would go a long way if he apologized to the girl and her family.

I have no problem at all with Val's message. None at all. The message got lost in the delivery but concern about childhood obesity is a real issue that should be discussed.

I still prefer Val's willingness to speak out to the simpering phony that is Derek.

I have a problem with using memes of children. Dammit Val is a great dancer but he proved he's not a nice human being .I'm disappointed in him for being such a jerk.  It's all about the visual even though he tries real hard to be "deep". Sure childhood obesity should be discussed, but why post pictures?  Get a little chuckle and then discuss the "serious" issue? That's what bullies do. The only thing it does is humiliate. We know what obesity looks like.  It is especially disheartening that a dancer would go there.  Mean Girls have nothing on Val.

• Love 1

I have a problem with using memes of children. Dammit Val is a great dancer but he proved he's not a nice human being .I'm disappointed in him for being such a jerk. It's all about the visual even though he tries real hard to be "deep". Sure childhood obesity should be discussed, but why post pictures? Get a little chuckle and then discuss the "serious" issue? That's what bullies do. The only thing it does is humiliate. We know what obesity looks like. It is especially disheartening that a dancer would go there. Mean Girls have nothing on Val.

When I see an obese child in a pic, I don't chuckle. It makes me sad. I am not obsessed with being thin(if u met me you would agree that is a true statement)but it makes me angry and sad when I see an obese child. Not a little chubby, but obese. Not a teenager but a child. I honestly feel it is neglect.

While he should not have posted that meme with the child's pic, the fact that he did does not make him a bad person, nor does it mean he posted it for giggles. It certainly does not mean his concerns about childhood obesity are insincere.

Val spends a great deal of time visiting children in hospitals. He does so on a regular basis. Is he imperfect and did he screw the pooch in this instance? For sure. On balance I see him doing good far more often than doing harm. It's not even close.

Edited by gohawks

With respect, the hospital visits are dwts hospital visits. All of the dancers have done them.  Not that he's not sincere, but it is part of the job.  No one says he has to be perfect. He's not a saint, clearly. But posting pictures of children is not helping anyone, especially that child. In a world of visuals, and certainly the visual world he occupies of half naked skinny people, they are not healthy. They all smoke, the hypocrites. Some of them will die of lung cancer very young. But as long as they hide it it keeps them from eating. Great. That picture of that child is meant to be provocative, and I don't like the message of fat child bad, shimmering boobs and ass good.  It's ridiculous.

Over the summer Rumer posted a picture of her rear end, or maybe her friend did. But the turn off for me?  a lit cigarette in the background they hoped no one would see, but it's cool to puff on a ciggie, not so cool to be photographed chowing down.   

Yeah.  Fat is so ugly. It will harm that child with a lifetime of health issues. But a burning cigarette is worse, not only a known cause of cancer , it affects the environment, not to mention that second hand smoke is a killer.   And yet not a word from Valentin on something he knows first hand..

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 3

Yeah.  Fat is so ugly. It will harm that child with a lifetime of health issues. But a burning cigarette is worse, not only a known cause of cancer , it affects the environment, not to mention that second hand smoke is a killer.   And yet not a word from Valentin on something he knows first hand..

With all due respect, fat is much more than ugly. In fact, "ugly" is the least serious thing about obesity. Those "health issues" are more serious and numerous than those caused by smoking. It increases the likelihood of tons of chronic diseases (like hypertension, diabetes, asthma, high cholesterol, cancer, stroke, and heart disease) at a higher rate than smoking does. In fact, people that are overweight/obese are on more medications than any other group of people (including smokers, drinkers, low-income) except the elderly and are more likely to die as a result than smokers are of conditions caused by smoking. And even worse, obesity is often not seen as a problem - it's often attributed to genetics or hormone problems, or lack of time, or lack of money ("healthy food costs more"), or any other array of excuses. And childhood obesity is likely even worse, because it's all these kids grow up knowing. We are literally breeding a generation of bad choices.

People know smoking is bad. People tend to defend weight problems more, which IMO, makes it worse. I'm not saying that we should fat-shame, but I don't agree with the recent "fat can be healthy" trend. I don't really have sympathy for an adult choosing to partake in a bad habit. I feel for the overweight kids who literally don't have the knowledge or the tools to make good choices or change their lifestyles or grow up thinking "this is just how it is".

Val's sentiment might not have been delivered correctly. The meme was in bad taste. But in the end, he's not wrong.

Also, a bunch of sources, just in case.

(A disclaimer: I think both smoking and obesity are bad. But no one really argues that smoking is anything but bad. That's a big difference.)

• Love 1

(A disclaimer: I think both smoking and obesity are bad. But no one really argues that smoking is anything but bad. That's a big difference.)

One of the reasons I used to motivate myself when I quit smoking was the fact that it is socially unacceptable. (Health, cost and politics were also motivation. Especially health).

I agree with encouraging movement, but all those dancers need to take a look at themselves. Smoking is the opposite of a "healthy"lifestyle. They can kid themselves all they want, but lung cancer and heart disease are a direct result of chronic smoking. In some circles, oh young dancers who think they can never die will continue to abuse their bodies and smoke as a way to diet. Julianne Hough's got a very thin shape but her face has grown hard due to smoking. Val shouldn't be out of breath after one dance, and yet he couldn't even speak on Ellen after the tour group danced. The truth is masked because they can't possibly be out of shape, just look at their bodies! Just don't listen to their smoker's cough.
Val thought it was necessary to body shame to prove his point. It is out there for everyone to judge. Humiliation is a powerful tool, one that can motivate, but it can also do other things, like make a young girl turn inward and feel worthless because a famous dancer posted that picture. It could also motivate a young girl into bulima or anorexia, even suicide. Not only is this a young person, but one with a disability who may have a very difficult time processing why it was all so necessary, since she probably gets enough ridicule from her peers. This is the reason why I find that post so awful. Val had no regard for this girl's emotional well being. This veers off from just talking about weight, it becomes a mental health issue, and on line bullying has to be addressed, even it is seemingly "well intentioned" which I am not convinced it was.

I wonder how these dancers would feel if we dissected their tell tale signs to hide the fact that they are not fit, they are addicted to cancer sticks. But doing that could seriously jeopardize their careers especially their fitness and lifestyle endorsements, so they keep their mouth shut, and hide to light up.  Ironic isn't it? These dancers hide their shame, and yet it's okay to post about others.

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 2

I guess I am a cynic, but it is real convenient that there's a "romance" around selling a diet and exercise plans. Otherwise it's just another dancer hawking another diet book. Robert must have a percentage.

I'm not really sure where to put this...  "Shall we dance on ice" was on today (I don't think for the first time?), hosted by Kristi Yamaguchi and Rumer Willis, starring a bunch of ice skaters (natch Charlie and Meryl) and Chelsie Hightower, Damien Whitewood, Anna Trebunskaya and Dmitri Chaplin.  DWTS is mentioned a lot. There is a LOT of fun dancing on this special, but I popped in here to say that Anna Trebunskaya and Dmitri Chaplin are visually a match made in heaven.  Wow.  

Edited by crowceilidh
  • Love 4

Ah Dmitry. He's on my list of those I think have been treated badly by DWTS. When he was with Mya, they jumped down his throat more than once over the choreography - it even happened at least once when he guested to design a dance for a couple of So You Think You Can Dance. So many things I'll never understand about these shows - but I loved Dmitry!  I'm so glad Ballroom with a Twist is still going and they use Dmitry a lot.

I don't even want to watch the next season but I want to know who the pros are! Old habits die hard I guess. I'm worried about Sasha since they didn't use him on the tour but instead had Julian Tocker and some guy I didn't recognize.  :(

Edited by Morrigan
  • Love 1

Damian really isn't on mine either - though he did just fine in his one season, as far as I could tell. It was a season I didn't pay much attention to - I guess that's one reason I don't still feel sorry for him. Another reason is he's gone on to be a real star-pro on the Australian DWTS and I think he's always gotten a ringer there and always gotten to the final - so fate treated him well even if DWTS didn't. He was one of the bigger stars of Burn the Floor too, I think.

Anyway, my still-weeping-for-them list:  Alec Mazo, Fabian Sanchez, Jonathan Roberts (he gets to the final ONCE and they humiliate him over the "doll dance" - if they thought it was so horrid why didn't they tell them to change it during rehearsals!), Dmitry Chaplin, Sasha Farber and Tristan MacManus.  I'm so sexist I have fewer women on my list but I'd include Tyne (who was with Bill Nye) and one named Irina who got one measly chance with an older guy who made it one week - then she was never heard of again :(   Elena Grinenko never had much of a chance either.

Sorry I don't remember the womens' last names. 

Edited by Morrigan

and one named Irina who got one measly chance with an older guy who made it one week - then she was never heard of again :(

... you mean, Inna (Brayer)?

If we're going to go the route of on-shot pros, what about Jesse DeSoto (season 3), Brian Fortuna (season 4), or Andrea Hale (season 2)?