Type keyword(s) to search

Jesus God, Leah!!

• Start Topic

leahdawn92mtv@d_w92 I've been doing much better I'll have you to know. Howeverrrr, I'm excited to expand my vocabulary and learn in English. I'm well aware I will benefit from those classes! ☺️??

I really hope she's poking fun at herself and did not seriously use "learn in English".

• Love 7
On 11/2/2016 at 0:04 PM, Tatum said:

This drives me batshit. If having a handgun in your house helps you sleep at night, that's your business. But no perp is going to stop a home invasion and wait while you unlock your gun safe and load up your guns.

I have nothing against guns. My husband has them. My dad has them. My father in law has them. I have nothing against owning them, learning to properly shoot them, and safely store them. It's my opinion that a 3 year old is simply too young to fully understand and appreciate the dangers of a deadly weapon, and that posing for photo ops, even with an unloaded rifle, is simply inappropriate. 

And I love how he spends time and energy crafting a poorly spelled rant just to say how little he cares what anyone else thinks.

As someone with guns in my home as well, I  agree with you. 3 is very young, they do not listen, do not understand consequences ect. 

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, LBS said:

leahdawn92mtv@d_w92 I've been doing much better I'll have you to know. Howeverrrr, I'm excited to expand my vocabulary and learn in English. I'm well aware I will benefit from those classes! ☺️??

I really hope she's poking fun at herself and did not seriously use "learn in English".

Expand her vocabulary? How about learning the proper tense of the words she already knows first? Let's learn to crawl before we learn to walk, Leah.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, LBS said:

This made me so curious to know what language she "learned in" before.

• Love 7

So after nosing around on the WVSU website it looks like she would have taken the ACCUPLACER. I found a few examples online. While it's not college-leve material by any stretch of the imagination, the questions to require a basic grasp of the English language. However, it is a placement test (for folks with out an ACT/SAT score--shockingly Leah doesn't seem to have either!), so "passed" may just be getting your name right and filling the bubbles in neatly. I'm sure that test put her in the most basic classes possible. You know, the remedial stuff that doesn't even count toward a diploma or offer actual credits.

Also, you only have to have an SAT composite of 870 (out of 2400) to be accepted.

Edited by Birdee
Adding the sad admittance requirement
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, Birdee said:

Also, you only have to have an SAT composite of 870 (out of 2400) to be accepted.

Lmfao, a whopping 870? You could probably not even look at the questions and guess, and STILL get a score like that.

• Love 3

This college must be desperate to accept new students. They must know they have been denying entry to far too many students whose education is lacking. 

I know I rag on the schoolses in the Holler, but that is not to say the teachers are to blame. Kids growing up in a home where the speech is already a fucking mess, and who have parents who don't understand the school work, are not likely to expand their vocabulary, they are not likely to change their vocabulary, taking a test where they need to put what they learned in English class is likely a road block to these kids. The majority likely come from homes where the girls are seen as wifey material while the boys are seeking blue collar jobs. They are likely not thinking about achieving a high SAT score for college.

I just recently caught a documentary on PBS from 2004. I wish I could remember the name. It aired last week. It was about teen pregnancy. There was a pregnant girl who came from an area that seemed like the Holler. She was eager to attend college. She talked about how there are many girls in her area that are teen mothers. As she talks about going to college, the father of her child tells her he expects her to be a SAHM. He was not at all keen about her dreams to better herself. I didn't finish watching the documentary. I wanted to watch it again and find out what happened to the girl.

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, Birdee said:

So after nosing around on the WVSU website it looks like she would have taken the ACCUPLACER. I found a few examples online. While it's not college-leve material by any stretch of the imagination, the questions to require a basic grasp of the English language. However, it is a placement test (for folks with out an ACT/SAT score--shockingly Leah doesn't seem to have either!), so "passed" may just be getting your name right and filling the bubbles in neatly. I'm sure that test put her in the most basic classes possible. You know, the remedial stuff that doesn't even count toward a diploma or offer actual credits.

870?!?! The new SAT is out of 1600 again, so are you sure? That's still quite low, but...yikes.

Holy fucking shit. I tutor kids in the SAT on the side and I thought some of them were at a low level... they're all getting 1100s or above and we have to warn them that with a 1300 or less (out of 1600) they likely won't get into a top-tier school. It's gotten super competitive. 

We should just tell them to head to Leah's neighborhood, I guess. They'd be geniuses. 

Edited by Lm2162
  • Love 2

I'm sure the college is working with what it has. Kids can only make 900ish on the SATs? No point in requiring an 1800 then. I do applaud anyone who is trying to further their education, but I just don't see Leah actually following through with it. And I hate colleges that are basically diploma mills (not saying that's the case here. WVSU seems to be a step above community college, but that's about it.) that make people think they're ready and prepared for the job market. It's not fair to them to spend their time and money and not really learn what they need to know.

I'll have to look for the documentary. Diane Sawyer did one (20/20, maybe?) about teens in Appalachia that was really well done and super sad. While it's fun to make fun of Leah and her ilk, it really reminds you of the uphill battle some folks have to just make it.

• Love 2

Ok, so on the new SAT 1600 scale the average incoming student at WVSU has a score of around 690. Dang. I've had immigrant students who very literally could barely converse in English who were getting in the 1000 range to start. 

And a GPA of 3.03 is average there. 

The worst part of all of this? They have a 45% admissions rate. So Leah was chosen over 55% of applicants. And how low are THEIR scores and grades?!?! I am seriously terrified. 

I've taught many community college students where I live, as well as undergrads at a large research university, and all of them are bright and honestly often at comparable levels. I'm not being snobby about this, I'm just truly shocked at the obviously large-scale epidemic of a lack of education in their region. 

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 10:53 PM, Maharincess said:

I just get so damn mad when I'm given a hard time about my medications. My own Dr doesn't give me a hard time because she knows what I'm going through but other doctors always lecture me about what I take.

I am with you, Maharincess - I take opiates for chronic pain.  My doctors are great, they never give me a hard time.  It is the pharmacists that routinely look at me askance, ask about alternatives I have tried, ask what exactly is wrong with me, etc.  They always have to "call the doctor" to verify that the prescription is valid.  I have been on the medication for over 10 years, and all of the info is in the computer.  I had to pick my medicine up early, as I was going to be travelling and the head pharmacist almost had an aneurism!  It is absolutely ridiculous. 

6 hours ago, FairyDusted said:

LMAO! I can't help but hear Jethro when reading that! Good Morning Preverts!

Remember when Jethro "gra-jiated" from the 5th grade!?  At 30!  That is what Leah reminds me of. 

• Love 1

I thought the SAT score was 2400 now. I remember it being 1600 back in the day when I took it. Math and language only?

Nevermind, I'm wrong. Their website said composite and I was still thinking of the 2400. Either way, the bar is low.

Edited by Birdee
46 minutes ago, GreatKazu said:

I just recently caught a documentary on PBS from 2004. I wish I could remember the name. It aired last week. It was about teen pregnancy. There was a pregnant girl who came from an area that seemed like the Holler. She was eager to attend college. She talked about how there are many girls in her area that are teen mothers. As she talks about going to college, the father of her child tells her he expects her to be a SAHM. He was not at all keen about her dreams to better herself. I didn't finish watching the documentary. I wanted to watch it again and find out what happened to the girl.

I remember watching a news piece piece about a dentist who traveled through Appalachia with a mobile office to provide education and free care. He said his biggest uphill battle was in trying to convince parents not to put Mountain Dew and Pepsi in baby bottles. So yeah, if this is the level of ignorance we're talking about, it's no wonder schoolses and bookses don't seem to be much of a priority there.

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, Birdee said:

I thought the SAT score was 2400 now. I remember it being 1600 back in the day when I took it. Math and language only?

Nevermind, I'm wrong. Their website said composite and I was still thinking of the 2400. Either way, the bar is low.

It changed from 1600 to 2400 around 2006-2007. Last year, they entirely scrapped the old SAT and it changed back to 1600. That's why it's confusing...it's a new test but has gone back to 1600, which people still think of as "old." 

I know because I had to console many a rabid, anxious parent while teaching a summer SAT boot camp, lol. But hey, at least they care about their kids' education. 

Edited by Lm2162
  • Love 1

I knew that but totally forgot. I'm going to blame my new-momma brain. I'm a librarian and we got all new guides in the last 6 months or so. Either way, I think it's fair to say that Leah couldn't have made those minimum requirements and the ACCUPLACER is probably better for her. And actual SAT/ACT would have been too disheartening and I'm pretty sure she thinks she passed with flying colors, but will actually end up in a class with GED recipients and folks who barely got out of their under-preforming public high schools.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

I remember watching a news piece piece about a dentist who traveled through Appalachia with a mobile office to provide education and free care. He said his biggest uphill battle was in trying to convince parents not to put Mountain Dew and Pepsi in baby bottles. So yeah, if this is the level of ignorance we're talking about, it's no wonder schoolses and bookses don't seem to be much of a priority there.

I remember watching something similar.

I think this is it. From 2009:http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=6863173

It's a stereotype rooted in a terrible fact. Central Appalachia is No. 1 in the nation in toothlessness. According to dentists, one of the main culprits is Mountain Dew soda. With 50 percent more caffeine than Coke or Pepsi, Mountain Dew seems to be used as a kind of anti-depressant for children in the hills.

We saw the girlses with sodas in their hands in Leah's photos. She later claimed they never drink soda. It must be nice to live in Leah's world where proof doesn't mean a damn thing and lying comes so easy.

I'm pretty sure she thinks she passed with flying colors, but will actually end up in a class with GED recipients and folks who barely got out of their under-preforming public high schools.

Oh, I am sure Leah was told where she ranks as a potential college student. She thinks she can get one over on us. Leah is a lying liar who lies.

ETA: This is the program on PBS which I mentioned in a previous post about teen pregnancy. It is called Edge of Eighteen. It is a five-part series. It features different kids and the topics cover teen pregnancy, career choices, and personal issues such as bullying: https://www.kcet.org/shows/edge-of-eighteen/episodes/edge-of-eighteen-episode-1

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, GreatKazu said:

Oh, I am sure Leah was told where she ranks as a potential college student. She thinks she can get one over on us. Leah is a lying liar who lies.

I'd put equal money on her lying about it and actually thinking she's the sh!t at English. If they cheerfully said, "Hey, looks like you qualified for remedial English," she probably thought she did well because we all know four-syllable words are beyond her. Plus, I think that's funnier than just flat out lying.

• Love 4

A lot of public colleges these days are caught between the rock and the hard place.  States are paying a LOT less money toward education and you can only raise tuition so much without causing enrollment to decline.  So unless you're an Ivy League, you lower your standards to keep the FTE up, and add developmental classes to hopefully help those not prepared (which is upwards of 50% at a lot of places.

And yes, there is no way to fail a placement test; if all you do is scribble your name and hand it in, you'll be put in a math class (not college level, but it's taught AT a college!). 

But since she's mostly tweeting/posting to people with much the same level of education as she has, they won't know the difference.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Lm2162 said:

Ok, so on the new SAT 1600 scale the average incoming student at WVSU has a score of around 690. Dang. I've had immigrant students who very literally could barely converse in English who were getting in the 1000 range to start. 

And a GPA of 3.03 is average there. 

The worst part of all of this? They have a 45% admissions rate. So Leah was chosen over 55% of applicants. And how low are THEIR scores and grades?!?! I am seriously terrified. 

3.03 isn't a bad GPA...it's like a B average right? Or are you saying the kids that averaged 690 on the SAT were the ones getting the Bs in high school? If so, yes, scary to think what the education was like.

But we knew Leah's high school could not have had high standards. This was a girl who missed her ENTIRE fall semester and about a 4th of her winter/spring semester, yet still managed to graduate on time in May. And she didn't make up any classwork during that time- she straight up dropped out for the first semester of her senior year. 

Wasn't Leah born* after the whole No Child Left Behind thing? We just missed that- I graduated in 2001, and the class behind us had to do a whole bunch of extra work in order to meet these new guidelines.

*By born after, I mean, she was young enough to have to graduate after these new rules went into effect.

Edited by Tatum
  • Love 1

@Tatum, a 3.0 isn't terrible, though even at middling schools average GPAs are often above 4.0 now because of honors and AP classes, which are available nearly everywhere (but which Leah obviously wasn't taking). But a 3.0 average of all incoming students means quite a few had even lower grades, which is pretty bad-- quite a few C students are going into that school. And that's in Leah's neighborhood. They aren't getting Bs and Cs at a high level or mediocre or even slightly below average public school...they're getting them alongside *Leah*.

But yes, your first comment is also part of my reaction...they're B students but getting a 700 total on the SAT?! Then grade inflation is definitely happening.

Look, it's fine to have schools that cater to mediocre students. It's even a good idea. But if Leah is being accepted without conditions and your average incoming SAT score is 690, you're basically a remedial school marketing itself as a research university/liberal arts college. And that's weird. I wonder how much it costs. Hope the financial aid is at least very very good, or it's a racket. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Lm2162 said:

@Tatum, a 3.0 isn't terrible, though even at middling schools average GPAs are often above 4.0 now because of honors and AP classes, which are available nearly everywhere

Really??? I went to a public school in a well off Minneapolis suburb and graduated with a 3.3, which put me at about the 70th percentile.  Am I that old?

25 minutes ago, Tatum said:

Really??? I went to a public school in a well off Minneapolis suburb and graduated with a 3.3, which put me at about the 70th percentile.  Am I that old?

GPAs in many areas are now out of 5.0 because of AP and honors classes -- which again, Leah obviously wasn't taking so sorry for bringing that up. But yeah, it blows my mind. The incoming class at the university where I teach (which is top 40, but definitely not top 10) has an AVERAGE GPA of 4.8 and an average SAT score hovering around 1510. The competition is insane. 

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 7:57 AM, DangerousMinds said:

I understand the theory of taking meds before the pain kicks in, but I've had two major surgeries in the past few years, and both times I was released with prescriptions for opiates. It was very clear, though, that I was only to take when needed. The first prescription was for maybe 30 pills, and the bottle said take one every 4 (?) hours as needed. However, if I had taken them every few hours, that bottle would have been empty long before my first follow-up appointment with my surgeon. I talked to him about that, and he said yeah, it's a major red flag if someone calls trying to get another opiate prescription after just a few days. They want you to wean off them and onto something like Advil or Tylenol asap.

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 2:18 PM, GreatKazu said:

I think the poster meant it is for those who are dealing with chronic pain and are taking pain meds on a regular basis. I have had surgeries for my back pain and I received opiates to deal with the post-operative pain and the continuous pain I was dealing with in my back. I needed to take those on a regular basis. That is not the case with other surgeries I have had over the years since that pain eventually subsides and I am pretty tolerant of the pain.

Most aftercare plans tell you to take the first dose before the anesthesia and IV meds have worn off. I've had my uterus, kidney, gallbladder, appendix, and spleen removed and, so far, have had 2 brain surgeries as well as a hip replacement and knee replacement. The idea is that you stay "ahead" of the pain because once the pain starts it's more difficult to control it and that is when you start developing a tolerance. Most patients are sent home with 30 pills after surgery these days. You take 6-8 the first day, depending on when you are released and dosage (5mg vs 10mg and hydrocodone vs oxycodone) and then gradually taper down. It's not about running out fast-it's about the fact that most surgeons expect patients to be on the "hard stuff" for around 4 days because that is how long the worst of the pain generally lasts.

And yes, @GreatKazu is right. Chronic pain patients follow a different schedule than those who are being treated for acute pain (like post-op patients). Many of us require extended release medications, like OxyContin,because we require something that stays in our system longer. Percocets and Lortabs, at most, stay in my system (to where I feel them) 2-3 hours. I can't take 12 a day, mostly because that would be far too much acetampehtamine. Instead, an extended release tablet covers the pain for a much longer duration which offers me a better quality of life.

Actually, I just got approved for palliative care last week and am getting a pump installed. I have tried avoiding it for years, and really thought the kratom was the answer, but it just didn't help enough.

@Maharincess is right. The so-called "war on pain pills" has done nothing but hurt those who actually need them. In my neck of the woods, the people who need them have trouble getting anything anymore. Those who abused them have moved on to heroin. Even local hospitals have started taking an "assume everyone is a drug seeker before the test results come back" approach. It's kind of sickening.

• Love 2

When West Virginia legalized gambling, it was done with a specific tax benefit from the casinos that fund education. Any resident who graduates high school with a C average (I don't remember the exact GPA) qualifies for a scholarship to state college, which skews the figures. To keep your scholarship you must maintain certain academic qualifications, but there are programs to assist students who are at risk for falling behind. 

There are many reasons a student may do poorly in high school but succeed in college, and even if a person only manages to get a semester of college in, it is a benefit. This is a good thing for Leah, and I can't fault her for it. If she drops out, on the other hand, I will judge her poorly, especially since she is in a position to hire tutors to keep her on track if she struggles.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Christina said:

There are many reasons a student may do poorly in high school but succeed in college, and even if a person only manages to get a semester of college in, it is a benefit. This is a good thing for Leah, and I can't fault her for it. If she drops out, on the other hand, I will judge her poorly, especially since she is in a position to hire tutors to keep her on track if she struggles.

I'm all for Leah doing something, anything to improve her job and earning potential after TM2 ends. But unless she goes in with some realistic goals, I don't see her being able to keep it up. I'm hoping she is looking at a degree in a technical field, maybe something like X-ray technician or Medical assistant, which both require about 2 years, I think. TBH, both of those are almost stretching it for her, since they require a lot of science and math. I just don't see her taking on the coursework for a Bachelor's in anything and seeing it through.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, HeySandyStrange said:

I'm all for Leah doing something, anything to improve her job and earning potential after TM2 ends. But unless she goes in with some realistic goals, I don't see her being able to keep it up. I'm hoping she is looking at a degree in a technical field, maybe something like X-ray technician or Medical assistant, which both require about 2 years, I think. TBH, both of those are almost stretching it for her, since they require a lot of science and math. I just don't see her taking on the coursework for a Bachelor's in anything and seeing it through.

Not that I think this is the case for Leah, but people can and do improve as students. I had a friend who barely graduated high school, went to community college, transferred to a public university, and not only is she in med school now, she is at one of the more prestigious medical schools in the country. She underperformed in school for whatever reason but we always knew she was smart. 

Edited by evilmindatwork
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, ChocolateAddict said:

As someone who doesn't live in the US, all this talk about SATs don't make no damn sense!  Y'all have such a strange system...

Yep, this Aussie is confused!

My BA is in English, and I'm studying for my Masters in English now, and Leah would not have lasted one day in uni here.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, ChocolateAddict said:

As someone who doesn't live in the US, all this talk about SATs don't make no damn sense!  Y'all have such a strange system...

LOL

What is required for college entry where you live?

I hope we get to see Leah actually going to college. Something is better than watching her lying around like Cate and Amber.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, GreatKazu said:

LOL

What is required for college entry where you live?

I hope we get to see Leah actually going to college. Something is better than watching her lying around like Cate and Amber.

Each state has an different Year 12 exam system but everyone gets what is called an ATAR - Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank.  In New South Wales there are school based assessments and state wide exams. The Powers That Be take the individual exam and assessment marks as well as year group spread for assessment and exams to give a mark for each subject.  

Everyone who wants to go to uni then gets an ATAR which is a rank between 50-99.95.  So if you get 88.5 that means that you performed better than 88.5% of the others in Australia.  The average is 70 (it would theoretically be 50 but not everyone completes Year 12 or gets an ATAR).  Each uni then publishes a guide for what ATAR you need for a course - typically 99 for law and medicine. Teaching for example is about 70-75 depending on the uni.  

If that all makes sense... And yes it would be great to see Leah actually get off her lazy backside and go but I feel that she might be taking some *online* classes. She can't even get her own children to class on time, let alone herself! 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, ChocolateAddict said:

I thought international student took SAT for college too?

On Wednesday, November 02, 2016 at 10:22 AM, LBS said:

He also just posted a missive about guns and safety.  If he teaches his children about gun safety as well as he spells and uses grammar, I fear for them.

Sorry for all the folks living in West Virginia but the education there must be lacking

On Wednesday, November 02, 2016 at 11:11 PM, MargeGunderson said:

"Proud to higher my education" - the joke just writes itself.

Lmfaooooo. Like I said That WV education is lacking. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, HeySandyStrange said:

Yeah, I give her a semester before she quits.  I would be surprised if she actually finishes a whole semester actually.

• Love 3
On November 4, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Lm2162 said:

It changed from 1600 to 2400 around 2006-2007. Last year, they entirely scrapped the old SAT and it changed back to 1600. That's why it's confusing...it's a new test but has gone back to 1600, which people still think of as "old." 

I know because I had to console many a rabid, anxious parent while teaching a summer SAT boot camp, lol. But hey, at least they care about their kids' education. 

I'm a little shocked colleges are still putting so much value on SAT scores.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, poopchute said:

Yeah, I give her a semester before she quits.  I would be surprised if she actually finishes a whole semester actually.

You are way more generous than me, I give it a week...when she attempted nursing school I think she quit within 3 days, btw it makes me livid that she got in at all, I know it was likely rigged for the show and she was never going to actually go... but getting into nursing school is a lot of hard work and so seeing her squander that away with not a single care makes me stabby. 

I actually do think she could do medical assisting though, I did that before I was an RN because I wanted to change my major from education to nursing on a whim, it's a much shorter program and it allowed me to try out the medical world without too much commitment. MA is only 9 months while RN is 2-4 years (depending on if you are getting an ADN or BSN) and while she's not the brightest crayon in the box I think she could handle MA, you aren't allowed to make medical decisions as an MA... you can only follow orders and you work under an LVN or RN, so there is less chance of a major medical error. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

In my experience, they're putting more and more emphasis on it. 

Count me in as betting Leah won't last a semester. 

Edited by Lm2162
9 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

A few are moving away from it, but it's still a way to rank people coming from different schools in different areas.  And it does, apparently, have predictive value when it comes to who will successfully finish at least the first year of college.

21 hours ago, Fosca said:

A few are moving away from it, but it's still a way to rank people coming from different schools in different areas.  And it does, apparently, have predictive value when it comes to who will successfully finish at least the first year of college.

True. This is especially the case for higher end schools. 

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2012/09/14/new-research-finds-sat-equally-predictive-those-high-and-low-socioeconomic-status

• Love 1

"What we do best"? Huh? What is that? Putting on make-up? Exorcising a demon out of Leah? Depositing eyedrops to get the red out of stoned-ass eyes? I don't understand. If whatever is going on there is what someone "does best", that is pretty sad.

• Love 7