Type keyword(s) to search

Aladdin (2019)

Spartan Girl
  • Start Topic

We have a thread for the live-action The Lion King, so why not?  Plus, we got our first teaser trailer:

I've liked most of the live-action movies.  Please please please please let this one be good too.

(On a shallow note, I'm a little disappointed that Al is wearing a shirt under the vest, but hey he still might be shirtless in another scene)

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 5

Aladdin is my absolute favorite of the Disney movies. I haven't watched any of the love action versions but, I might give this one a try.  The teaser was excellent until the last clip, I don't think it needed Aladdin and the Lamp but, that could just be me.

• Love 2

The teaser was great, but I learnt from Beauty and the Beast to not get too excited. Great to hear Menken's score sound so lush and full. But I can't help but think of all the 'plot holes' from the original that they will address like they did with Beauty. What happened to Aladdin's parents, who was the Genie before he was a genie, why did Jafar become a bad guy. why can Iago speak perfect English, where did Aladdin find Abu, if Aladdin is an orphan how could he afford to take lessons in Monkey talk? You know stuff that really didn't matter back in '92 but that the internet today demands answers for because no one is capable of just letting things be.

Edited by Bill1978
  • Love 11
17 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

What happened to Aladdin's parents

That was explained in the third feature, Aladdin and the King of Thieves where we met Aladdin's dad voiced by John Rhys-Davies:

image.png

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3

Aladdin has a dad????

I didn't watch the DTV sequels that were produced. Well except for The Lion King 2 out of curiosity and I wished I didn't. It took a friend's continual harassment that I watched the third Lion King movie (which I admit I did enjoy).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bill1978 said:

Aladdin has a dad????

I didn't watch the DTV sequels that were produced. Well except for The Lion King 2 out of curiosity and I wished I didn't. It took a friend's continual harassment that I watched the third Lion King movie (which I admit I did enjoy).

Thank you, I loathed Lion King 2 as well (but did enjoy the third one).

But the Aladdin sequels are great -- especially the third because Robin Williams comes back. Highly recommend them.

• Love 5

The Aladdin animated series is pretty great too, better than most movie to TV adaptions anyway. Of course I watched it when I was like 11 but I was a pretty judgmental kid so you can take me at my word.

Edited by JessePinkman
  • Love 10
On 10/12/2018 at 7:31 PM, starri said:

Can Will Smith sing well enough?  He's a fair rapper, but I don't remember any actual singing from back in the day?

Robin Williams was fantastic and a rare talent. That being said the Genie only has one song and it isn't too hard. It doesn't require a significant vocal range or anything too demanding vocally. It doesn't seem too far removed from "Rock Island Line" or a slower version of a Gilbert and Sullivan patter song. 

• Love 8
On October 14, 2018 at 9:08 PM, JessePinkman said:

The Aladdin animated series is pretty great too, better than most movie to TV adaptions anyway. Of course I watched it when I was like 11 but I was a pretty judgmental kid so you can take me at my word.

We have a topic for the series right here!

On 10/17/2018 at 7:53 PM, Sarah 103 said:

Robin Williams was fantastic and a rare talent. That being said the Genie only has one song and it isn't too hard. It doesn't require a significant vocal range or anything too demanding vocally. It doesn't seem too far removed from "Rock Island Line" or a slower version of a Gilbert and Sullivan patter song. 

The Genie has two songs, don't forget "Prince Ali"!

He's got the monkeys, let's see the monkeys!

• Love 6

A whole new world: First look at Guy Ritchie's live-action remake of Disney's magical classic Aladdin

AL-2198129837281321.jpg

From the get-go, Ritchie faced one big — and blue — issue. Along with the titular hero, the story is centered on a genie, a wondrous blue immortal trapped in a lamp, who grants three wishes to whoever releases him from his vessel. In the animated version, Robin Williams breathed life into the fast-talking wish-maker, turning him into the heartwarming and critically lauded comedic core of the film. Williams’ untimely death in 2014 made reimagining Genie on screen a significant burden, and one that Ritchie knew he had to crack.

“The great thing about the role of the Genie is that it’s essentially a hyperbole for who that individual actor is, so it’s a wonderful platform and tapestry for an actor to fill his boots on,” Ritchie says. So in stepped one of the funniest forces in entertainment: Will Smith.

“Whenever you’re doing things that are iconic, it’s always terrifying,” Smith tells EW with his trademark booming laugh. “The question is always: Where was there meat left on the bone? Robin didn’t leave a lot of meat on the bone with the character.”

But if Williams “infused the character with a timeless version of himself,” Smith says, then the 50-year-old actor was going to do the same. “I started to feel confident that I could deliver something that was an homage to Robin Williams but was musically different,” he says. “Just the flavor of the character would be different enough and unique enough that it would be in a different lane, versus trying to compete.” The superstar — who recorded his own version of “Friend Like Me” on the first day he met with the music team — says
 he tapped into his roster of roles from the 1990s (including Independence Day, Bad Boys, and a certain Bel-Air prince from West Philadelphia) to shape his Genie, weaving enough of a flair for fashion into the character to earn the praise of one Disney executive, who described Smith’s Genie as part Fresh Prince, part Hitch.

“I think it’ll stand out as unique even in the Disney world,” Smith says. “There hasn’t been a lot of that hip-hop flavor in Disney history.”

The final version of Will Smith’s Genie in his blue floating lamp form isn’t quite finished — the film is due in theaters on May 24, 2019 — but Ritchie gives EW a tease of what he’ll look like. “I wanted a muscular 1970s dad,” the director says. “He was big enough to feel like a force — not so muscular that he looked like he was counting his calories, but formidable enough to look like you knew when he was in the room.” When Aladdin first stumbles across the lamp in the Cave of Wonders, a big cerulean cloud whooshes out of the spout, forming into Smith’s goateed Genie, complete with a topknot. After a quick musical introduction, Smith’s swagger shines through as he asks a dumbstruck Aladdin, “You really don’t know who I am? Genie…wishes…lamp? None of that ringing a bell? Wow, that’s a first.” Ritchie explains that Smith’s Genie is more self-aware. “I like the fact that our Genie has an ego and is a little bit vain and he cares about how he’s presented because he’s been doing this for a very long time.” After all, the Fresh Prince knows how to make an entrance.

“I think it’ll stand out as unique even in the Disney world,” Smith says. “There hasn’t been a lot of that hip-hop flavor in Disney history.”

Edited by Dee
  • Love 5

From the photos (that I can't embed at the moment): Is Aladdin wearing a straight up hoodie in Agrabah?? I like Jasmine's 'undercover' outfit more than her princess outfit. (But there's probably no version of that midriff outfit that I'd really like in live-action.) The hair situation for Smith's Genie is a little iffy. It's cool though that now there are versions from Once Upon A Time, and the Broadway show to compare (and even Disneyland versions).

• Love 3

There's already Twitter tantrums being thrown over Will Smith's hair and the fact that he's not blue.  But those photos are apparently from the parts of the movie where Genie's in a "human disguise."  Also, his hair is the same do as the one in the cartoon, it just looks dumber on live action.

I think the photos look good.  Naomi's costumes look gorgeous, and yes her "undercover" outfit looks prettiest.  But I love her red outfit and her peacock looking outfit -- the latter reminds me of my favorite Jasmine doll when I was a kid.  And hey, we're getting Abu!

• Love 5
On 10/13/2018 at 6:52 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Thank you, I loathed Lion King 2 as well (but did enjoy the third one).

But the Aladdin sequels are great -- especially the third because Robin Williams comes back. Highly recommend them.

Did not know this.....

Twitter is also upset that Aladdin is not bare-chested under his vest, and they are also majorly thirsty for the guy who plays Jafar.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Did not know this.....

Twitter is also upset that Aladdin is not bare-chested under his vest, and they are also majorly thirsty for the guy who plays Jafar.

They are both hot. 

I think the movie is trying not to do sexualized Middle Eastern stereotypes, but I would like to see him shirtless at some point in the movie.

• Love 5
On 20/12/2018 at 1:28 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Did not know this.....

I also noticed that Jasmine's famous turquoise two-piece is no more, and her midriff is covered. *shrugs* I don't see the big deal, what works in animation isn't always the case in live action. I'll probably wait until DVD for this one, but Jasmine is my favourite Disney princess so I'm interested to see what they'll do with her (and this new handmaiden character).

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Ravenya003 said:

I also noticed that Jasmine's famous turquoise two-piece is no more, and her midriff is covered. *shrugs* I don't see the big deal, what works in animation isn't always the case in live action. 

Disney Parks makes their Jasmines wear a different outfit that doesn't show her midriff too. It wouldn't be a big deal except her new outfit looks like any cheap costume you would fine at any Spirit shop. At least the outfits in the new movie look nice.

• Love 2

Twitter is full of idiots. Aladdin's outfit is great and having him shirtless as he was in the movie would have been very historically inaccurate. The costumers have clearly put a lot of effort and research into trying to create a fantasy look that draws on the historic MENA world. Also, this is a kid's oriented, family friendly film. 

The one set of outfits that I'm not getting are Jasmine's. I like how they preserved her animated look while losing the actual midriff, but it doesn't resemble any actual historic outfit that I'm familiar with. There's no boning in MENA-region clothing and there's not even really that concept of attached bodice/skirt. I don't know why they didn't just put a sheer white blouse under the peacock top, which would have at least resembled some Persian styles. Or just have it be a choli/sari style of outfit influenced by her non-Agrabah mother (which hopefully was not a character beat added as a response to the brief Twitter nonsense about Naomi Scott's casting being inappropriate) The red dress at the end looks more European--enough so I'm wondering if it actually is going to be an explicitly European-influenced dress that she's wearing to highlight the cosmopolitan nature of Agrabah and trade.

Jasmine's outfits are very pretty, however!

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

The one set of outfits that I'm not getting are Jasmine's. I like how they preserved her animated look while losing the actual midriff, but it doesn't resemble any actual historic outfit that I'm familiar with. There's no boning in MENA-region clothing and there's not even really that concept of attached bodice/skirt. I don't know why they didn't just put a sheer white blouse under the peacock top, which would have at least resembled some Persian styles.

Yeah, the construction makes it look to 'modern'. (Same with Aladdin's hoodie.) But I've accepted that this is a fantasy film, not a historical one, with a mish-mash of influences, so I'll deal. But that doesn't mean I don't notice, Disney!

• Love 4

The things that excited me the most were the shot of Aladdin taking Jasmine's hand (A Whole New World!), and the glimpse of Carpet, who looks to be similarly animated as the original cartoon.

• Love 6

When this was announced I was apathetic, I was burnt by the Beauty remake but with every teaser released I am getting more and more excited. Seeing Iago and Abu made the cut and the fact Carpet is still character has me excited. My only concern is Jafar's voice. Was expecting something slightly deeper. I am more excited about this movie than I am about The Lion King.

• Love 5

And now, because I'm a petty brat, here's my rundown of half-assed snark!

Is that the Genie, or Mystique's bloated corpse?

Hey, Will, try this gum I stole from Willy Wonka's factory!

Damn, Papa Smurf was RIPPED in his youth!

"It's not easy/Bein' blue..."

This is what happens when Gonzo boinks a Vulacan.

Now THAT'S what I call a Kmart blue light special! 

I'm sure Willow Smith appreciates that her dad did something even more embarrassing than "Whip My Hair".

Hey, Beast from X-Men looks nice after some manscaping!

At last,  Boo Berry gets his own movie!

Sigh, I'm so not looking forward to those Avatar sequels...

imgres.jpg.50b2285e04668c8739de9fee2aac511a.jpg

Seriously, fuck these live-action Disney remakes. And Will, if no one takes you seriously again, just remember that you did this to yourself.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

There is a lot here that looks really cool, but whenever I see Will as the genie, all I see is Tobias Funke trying out for the Blue Man Group.

I liked Seth Meyers' take last night where he described it as, "The Blue Man Group created a horror movie."

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 11:57 PM, Kromm said:

Even without the horrific CGI, Will Smith both annoys and bores me these days (Heck, this whole decade) . The CGI just backs that up. 

It's still a comforting thought that we could just leave him in a bottle forever.

• Love 3
On 2/24/2019 at 10:57 PM, Kromm said:

So stinky. 

Even without the horrific CGI, Will Smith both annoys and bores me these days (Heck, this whole decade) . The CGI just backs that up. 

I just realized that myself after I saw Suicide Squad. I used to love Will and now I'm just tired of him. I'll still see this movie eventually though.

New trailer:

Aladdin is my favorite animated movie of all time (and top 3 period) and this is...not the business. I'm sad. It's my own fault for having expectations, I should have it wouldn't be for me as I'm not a fan of any of Disney's, in my opinion, overly produced, oversaturated, CGI-fest live adaption of their classic films.

• Love 3