Type keyword(s) to search

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

I don't understand Miller's appeal.   Or Nolan's, for that matter.  Maybe there's a segment of fandom that likes to see heroes court the dark side.   It always seemed to me that in a world with so many superheroes, the dystopian settings of these films would never come to pass.   Superheroes are about keeping hope alive and evil at bay.

Yeah, I wish it would have been Grant Morrison collaborating on the movie.  If anyone thinks he doesn't get Superman, just read All-Star Superman.

• Love 1

I'd prefer Superman keep his lifetime neck-snapping tally to one for the foreseeable future. Even so, I'm definitely rooting for him against the Miller Batman. As for the "war" itself, I would imagine that even a billionaire would have a great deal of trouble getting his hands on armaments capable of harming a Kryptonian.

He managed it in the Miller trilogy, and it was plausible.

I still have a hunch that he does something to interfere with Superman's powers, and that's why Supes drops out of the sky in the "Do you bleed?" scene in the trailer.

And I am sure that they will reach some level of understanding by the end of the film.

Also: Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns" wasn't a trilogy, it was planned and published as a 4-part limited series which collect into a single graphic novel.  The "Dark Knight Trilogy" typically refers to the Nolan / Bale movies.  Even though Miller is now working on DK3, calling his books a trilogy implies that someone might want to read DK2, and even I couldn't get through that.

Also: Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns" wasn't a trilogy, it was planned and published as a 4-part limited series which collect into a single graphic novel.  The "Dark Knight Trilogy" typically refers to the Nolan / Bale movies.  Even though Miller is now working on DK3, calling his books a trilogy implies that someone might want to read DK2, and even I couldn't get through that.

Correction noted.   It has been awhile since I looked at that series.   I remember buying each issue as it came out and not being terribly impressed.   Read it, wrote it off as a "futureworlds" story and tossed it aside, not realizing at the time it would spell the end of the Silver Age (Bronze Age?) Batman.

You don't need advanced weaponry if you can get your hands on kryptonite.

They haven't introduced Kryptonite as yet; honestly, I think Bats would have better chances of finding something magic and exploiting that vulnerability. I can actually see him adding zeros to the end of a check until the Austrian Imperial Treasury hands over the Spear of Destiny.

• Love 1

They haven't introduced Kryptonite as yet; honestly, I think Bats would have better chances of finding something magic and exploiting that vulnerability. I can actually see him adding zeros to the end of a check until the Austrian Imperial Treasury hands over the Spear of Destiny.

But anyone who has seen Parsifal knows the Spear of Longinus' true power is that of healing ;) .

I'm looking forward to this because I don't read the comics so it's intriguing to me having Batman and Superman not like each other. I don't mind it being dark. Based on the synposis, it being dark makes sense. I do hope though it's not dark for darkness' sake. There should be purpose. The best example I can think of off the top of my head is Batman with Michael Keaton. It was dark enough for the audience to know Gotham had issues and yet light enough to have comedy.

I liked both of the Nolan Batman movies I saw (the first two) and Man of Steel. I didn't think either of them were too dark and gritty. I acutally appreciated the new take on Superman as that's a story I had never seen before. In my mind, it wouldn't be as light as the other Superman movies.

I'm intrigued by Jason Momoa's take on Aquaman. Game Of Thrones isn't his best work, but he's very good in The Red Road, the Sundance Channel show with him playing a Native American ex-con. 

I am not too thrilled about Momoa. I watched him on Game of Thrones and he is a big guy and looks like he can win a fight and that is all I can say about him. His acting ability leaves much to be desired. They should have just called this movie Superman -The test for Justice Leauge.  How much time will be really devoted to Clark/Superman and his life and relationships?

I think they've more or less said that, although this is the next chapter in the story, it isn't a sequel to MoS in the ordinary sense.  My understanding is that there are not-yet-announced (yet alluded-to) plans for Man of Steel II somewhere down the line.

Hopefully we will find out more soon... the WB Pictures presentation at Comic-Con will be at 10:30 Am PT on Saturday 7/11 (the Saturday schedule was released today).  Note: the link says nothing helpful as of yet :) .

Here's an update... Warner Bros. Pictures Reveals Superlative Line-up for This Year’s Comic-Con

Keen to deliver a taste of one of next year’s most eagerly awaited pairings, director Zack Snyder and stars Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill take the main stage with “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.” They are joined by castmates Amy Adams, Jesse Eisenberg, Jeremy Irons, Holly Hunter and Gal Gadot for a sneak peek at the 2016 action adventure that brings the Super Heroes together on the big screen for the very first time, from Warner Bros. Pictures and RatPac-Dune Entertainment.

... (Skipping the parts about The Man From U.N.C.L.E and Pan )

With “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” “The Man from U.N.C.L.E.” and “Pan” headlining the bill, Warner Bros. will also present some unexpected offerings that are sure to delight the crowd.

(edited)

I'm SUCH a hater but this...looks...so...budget. It looks like one of those youtube fanmade movies.

Batfleck looks like Flash from the Justice league TV movie.

Justice-League-of-america-1997-movie-6.j

Edited by JessePinkman

I would have liked the cover better if WW hadn't been over Photoshopped--and her head and her body are from two (or more!) different photos.

But what really irks me is this:

lex-luthor.jpg

No. Nothing so far I've seen and heard about Eisenberg as Luthor has been encouraging.

• Love 9

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING from any of the stills I've seen, have convinced me that I made a mistake in my decision NOT to see this disaster waiting to happen.

Affleck's Batman looks like he's on steroids; his Bruce Wayne looks like he's constipated, and I...have...no words, for that..."Lex."

• Love 3

I want this to be good.  I really really really want this to be good.  Even with my ambivalence about Ben Affleck as Batman, I want it to be good.

So fingers crossed.  If it's better than the Val Kilmer batman, I'll be happy.

I was certain the first avenger's movie was going to be a clusterfuck, and they proved me wrong, so I'm going to do my best to keep an open mind on this.

Yeah, the Bat-suit is just terrible. I'm willing to give Affleck a chance in the role, but really, what were they thinking with that suit? He totally looks like a 'roided-up '80s powerlifter or bodybuilder in that thing.

I'm not optimistic about her acting--though very much hoping to be proven wrong!--but Gal Gadot at least looks the part of Diana. I do wish she were more muscular, but I also figured a long time ago that Hollywood would not let us have a properly jacked Wonder Woman.

Eisenberg's Luthor...yeeeeeeeeeah.

Poor Henry Cavill. Headlines a major movie, gets this as a reward.

Those pictures are a lot better than the trailer was.

Nice to see some colour in Wonder Woman's costume. Not too sure I want a Bruce/Diana romantic subplot but I'll keep an open mind though.

Lex's hair is something else though.

Loving the light up eyes on Affleck's Batman too for some reason.

It's feeling like Superman is going to be seriously overshadowed in this movie though. Or is that just me?

It's interesting; sites I go to that are mainly populated by comics fans - and Batman fans in particular - loved these new pics and thought that this Batman was the best-looking movie Batman yet; I tend to agree.  (I also loved Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, which definitely inspired this look.) 

Yeah, the Bat-suit is just terrible. I'm willing to give Affleck a chance in the role, but really, what were they thinking with that suit? He totally looks like a 'roided-up '80s powerlifter or bodybuilder in that thing.

Would you be anxious to get into a street brawl with such a person?  :)

I've also loved the Luthor casting since it was announced.  Maybe it's because the only redeeming quality I can think of in Mark Zuckerberg is that he hasn't actually killed anyone, but the idea that, if you were rebooting Luthor John Byrne-style in today's world, he'd be more likely to start as a Silicon Valley young gun than as one of the Koch brothers really appeals to me.  Of course, we don't know for certain that he's going to be coming out of Silicon Valley per se, but he definitely seems to be drawn from that mold.

EW has the photos up now, with captions.  My favorite:

tumblr_nqv8m8DeT31tpf1uso1_500.png

Mr. Wayne, meet Ms. Prince

Batman and Wonder Woman have a meeting of alter-egos as Bruce Wayne and Diana Prince parry and flirt at a high-society function. “I love the fact that there was this Thomas Crowne Affair, Bond-y sexy scene that they wrote about two people who are pretending to be two different people who each know the secrets of the other person,” says Ben Affleck.

• Love 1

It's interesting; sites I go to that are mainly populated by comics fans - and Batman fans in particular - loved these new pics and thought that this Batman was the best-looking movie Batman yet;

That scaly-looking, roided up Batman* is the best-looking movie Batman yet? Okay then.

*I understand many loooove Miller's Batman Returns, but that Batman was in his 50s, world-weary, etc., etc.,  The timeline doesn't work for me, and neither does that look. It's horrid. right next to George Clooney's Batsuit.  And I realize I'm in the minority about this, but I don't care. I'm not going to rah-rah over this movie because it seems a movie with my top three favorites is finally being made.

I feel sorry for Cavill. He's the ONLY good thing about that cover, and it should be his Superman that should be getting the press and attention. He's like an afterthought.

• Love 2

If I can lift oil derricks and take artillery in the face without so much as a black eye? Bring it.

Wonder Woman is the one I'd be worried about fighting, even with Kryptonian powers.

• Love 2

Poor Henry Cavill. Headlines a major movie, gets this as a reward.

Silver lining? If the film tanks, I believe Cavill will come out of it unscathed. Affleck is such a train-wreck in his personal life, and wasn't well-received as BW/Batman to start with. Even if he is decent in the role, it feels like the success/failure of the film mostly rest on his shoulders.  

• Love 1

No--but I wouldn't be eager to get into a street brawl with Christian Bale's Batman or George Clooney's, either! Pretty much anyone who dresses up as a bat is going to get a pass from me. ;) This Batman suit just made me laugh, and not in a good way. It's like from Meet the Robinsons--"I have a big, big torso and an itty bitty head!" Now, I've never read the Bat-comics, so if the suit is supposed to be an homage to TDKR, that makes it make more sense. But it still looks silly to me.

• Love 1

That scaly-looking, roided up Batman* is the best-looking movie Batman yet? Okay then.

*I understand many loooove Miller's Batman Returns, but that Batman was in his 50s, world-weary, etc., etc.,  The timeline doesn't work for me, and neither does that look. It's horrid. right next to George Clooney's Batsuit.  And I realize I'm in the minority about this, but I don't care. I'm not going to rah-rah over this movie because it seems a movie with my top three favorites is finally being made.

In terms of bringing the look of the comics to the screen, it's probably the closest yet.  So far as the timeline goes, I don't think it's the mid-50's Bruce Wayne who had been retired for 10 years from TDKR, but I do think it's a Bruce Wayne in his mid-40's very like the one who was on the verge of retirement 10 years previous (and if you have seen some of the closeups of the costume that are around, it's definitely battle-scarred... and a lot of the bulk is undoubtedly sculpted body armor... it's just not as obviously fake as earlier versions).  DC has already blown off the idea that the Age of Heroes began with the arrival of Superman, so I guess I have no choice but to accept that aspect.  Of course, no one is saying anyone has to like or dislike it... I was just making the point that different groups have different perspectives on it.

If I can lift oil derricks and take artillery in the face without so much as a black eye? Bring it.

Wonder Woman is the one I'd be worried about fighting, even with Kryptonian powers.

I was actually referring to the ordinary street thugs Batman would normally be facing, not invulnerable aliens ;)  But yes, Wonder Woman definitely looks to be a badass.

No--but I wouldn't be eager to get into a street brawl with Christian Bale's Batman or George Clooney's, either! Pretty much anyone who dresses up as a bat is going to get a pass from me. ;) This Batman suit just made me laugh, and not in a good way. It's like from Meet the Robinsons--"I have a big, big torso and an itty bitty head!" Now, I've never read the Bat-comics, so if the suit is supposed to be an homage to TDKR, that makes it make more sense. But it still looks silly to me.

Here's a scan from the original

There are rumors that a Robin similar to Carrie Kelley (in that pic) will be in this movie, played by Jena Malone.  WB hasn't even said for certain that she's in the film though... she happened to do a set visit during filming and had red hair at the time.

• Love 1
(edited)

Without Kryptonite, I don't see how either Batman or Wonder Woman can hope to fight Superman. I recently watched Superman vs Faora, Faora vs the soldiers, and Zod vs Superman and in each fight the strength, speed, and invulnerability of the Kryptonians FAR outmatched anything the soldiers could hope to throw at them or any of Marvel's heroes including Thor or the Hulk. Superman really is a god among men.

And I feel bad for Superman with everyone plotting against him when he's doing his best to help out. He even killed the last of his species and gave up the chance of having a homeworld to protect Earth. And now Batman and Luther are trying to kill him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkK7_FsJE7Q

Edited by lion10
  • Love 2

Without Kryptonite, I don't see how either Batman or Wonder Woman can hope to fight Superman. I recently watched Superman vs Faora, Faora vs the soldiers, and Zod vs Superman and in each fight the strength, speed, and invulnerability of the Kryptonians FAR outmatched anything the soldiers could hope to throw at them or any of Marvel's heroes including Thor or the Hulk. Superman really is a god among men.

And I feel bad for Superman with everyone plotting against him when he's doing his best to help out. He even killed the last of his species and gave up the chance of having a homeworld to protect Earth. And now Batman and Luther are trying to kill him.

To the bolded and this is why I hope he kills Batman and Luther. He doesn't have to snap their necks per say he could throw them at a mountain or drop them from space I'm not picky at all as long as he gets it done.

But atlast I willl not get what I want.

• Love 2

But, but, but...he caused massive damage while fighting Zod and trying to save lives! He should have been more careful not to destroy anything while fighting him and his regimen, all who were okay with destroying the planet to ensure their survival! *sarcasm voice off*

Seriously, though, I can understand why the government would be a bit unsettled about someone so powerful and uncontrollable (as demonstrated by Harry Lennix' character in MOS), but the tone of the trailer does read like a mass, public distrust of him.  Kind of justifies Clark's reluctance to get involved in the first place. But I'll wait to see how the film explains it.   

I feel some trepidation about what the film version of Diana's backstory will be; I heard early rumors they were going to make the Amazons a long lost Kryptonian enclave. But based on the comics, Diana is gifted by the Greek gods to be as fast and nearly as strong as Superman, is much, MUCH more expert at personal combat (she's been trained all her life by immortal women warriors whose skill at war was legend more than thirty centuries ago), and is armed with a magic weapon that could handily restrain him.

I share your trepidation, but I also welcome the possibility that Kryptonian colonists met some Anazonians and got their asses handed to them. Wonder Woman HAS beaten Superman in the comics, so It's not such an outlandish theory.

From the interviews I've seen, they appear to be going with Diana's new 52 origin story: she's a demi-goddess, fathered by Zeus with Hippolyta in much the same way that Heracles was.  The comics story that introduces the current Darkseid War crossover even has Hippolyta saying point-blank that "made out of clay" was her cover story.

So far as Kryptonian colonists go, as we saw in Man of Steel their scout ship from 18,000 years ago failed; only one pod was opened, indicating that one occupant made it out.  The comic prequel to the movie told us who it was: a Kryptonian scientist named Kara Zor-El (yup...).  I have heard the following, but I am not sure to what degree it is well-founded rumor or fan theory so I'll spoiler tag it:

there's an idea going around that that Kara made contact with the Amazons, and while the Amazons were immensely powerful warriors themselves and had command of magic, Kara helped them with some of her advanced Kryptonian technology, leading to things like, say, invisible planes.

• Love 1

I'm excited to see how the writers level the playing field.  Granted, Superman won't be fighting to kill, but how are Batman and Wonder Woman supposed to compete at close range with THIS?  

YGr26m.gif

giphy.gif

Wonder Woman would be handling him as easily as Faora did in that first scene if he's not fighting to kill. His advantages over her (heat vision, greater invulnerability, able to survive for some time in space) are either passive or only come into play if he's willing to kill, whereas hers (much more combat experience and training, unbreakable lasso that can safely hogtie anyone and compel them to see/speak the truth) are present in both lethal and nonlethal combat. The big variable I see is whether or not this version of Diana can fly.

• Love 1

Seriously, though, I can understand why the government would be a bit unsettled about someone so powerful and uncontrollable (as demonstrated by Harry Lennix' character in MOS), but the tone of the trailer does read like a mass, public distrust of him.  Kind of justifies Clark's reluctance to get involved in the first place. But I'll wait to see how the film explains it.   

Yeah, I can see why the government might be a little unsettled by Superman, especially when you've got things like this happening.

q6madebxsaweko5cwsns.gif

That's definitely got a "worshiping Kal-El as a god" vibe to it.  Still, I doubt Superman will have done anything to really deserve the mass mistrust he'll apparently be facing in BvS.

The big variable I see is whether or not this version of Diana can fly.

Bruinsfan, I hear you and I don't disagree, but I think the biggest variable of all is simply whether the guys in charge of the DC movie 'verse would be okay with a woman kicking Superman or Batman's ass. Even if said woman is Wonder Woman.

I'd be OK with WW witnessing the big fight and being like:

Having said that, I think the DC people would be OK with WW beating up Superman. It's just far cooler to have a non-superpowered being able to do it.

• Love 1

I think the visuals from the trailer show us one thing: Superman being received as a godlike figure by the masses, culminating in those troopers kneeling before him.  The voiceovers tell a different story, with the chattering classes (whose personal power and position could be threatened by such a man) speaking against him, culminating with Lex saying "Devils... come from the sky" and stirring up fears.  And then there's this:

apparently, one of those buildings full of people that got demolished in Man of Steel belonged to Wayne Enterprises, so Bruce is also bringing a personal cause to this.

The official site has been updated.  I notice that the new logo menu changes, lighting up the \S/ when the background is showing scenes of Superman, darkening it to emphasize the Bat when showing the Batman scenes. Hopefully we'll get more tomorrow!

(edited)
Ben Affleck in the talks to star in, co-write and direct a new 'Batman' filmAfter he finishes directing 'Live by Night,'

US actor Ben Affleck could begin work on a standalone 'Batman' film in which he would take on nearly all the major roles.

If negotiations go as planned, Affleck would play the Caped Crusader, a character he portrays in "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice," and then in 'Justice League,' due out in 2017, according to Variety, who spotted the story.

He is currently promoting the former at Comic-Con in San Diego. The actor's current project, directing the film 'Live by Night,' based on Dennis Lehane's Prohibition-era crime novel, is still underway.

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/movies/ben-affleck-in-the-talks-to-star-in-co-write-and-direct-a-new-batman-film-1018523.html

... in which he would take on nearly all the major roles.

So it's going to be like an Eddie Murphy thing?  He plays Batman, Commissioner Gordon, Alfred, Joker, Catwoman, Bat-Mite, etc?

I think it's his revenge on everyone who signed the petition in the hope of preventing him from ever donning the cowl.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1

Extended Comic-Con trailer #2!

I guess I'm easy, because that looks really good. I wasn't thinking about watching it in theatres but now I might have to add it my list.

• Love 1

I liked Diane Lane's take on Mama Kent in Man of Steel, and based on that extended trailer, I believe that will continue.  She might be the only voice of reason in all this. But then, unlike most, I thought the implication that Clark's mother was just as, if not more, influential as his father in coming of age was a welcome change of pace.

I shall continue to pretend Jesse Eisenberg isn't in this until I watch the film.    

Yeah, having Bruce Wayne be in Metropolis and his building being destoryed and his employees killed  was interesting. Also Gal Gadot who might not be as muscular a Wonder Woman as fans hoped looked pretty fierce.

(edited)

Has it occurred to NONE of these people--except for Alfred, it sounds like, praise him--that the quickest way to convince Superman to destroy the world is to...try to get the world to destroy Superman? Goodness. The idiocy, it burns.

Wish this movie was Superman and Wonder Woman, they look more interesting than dumbass!Batman. Though I do like the notion that Clark Kent will be investigating Batman--that's somewhat interesting, and it will naturally lead into his conflict with Luthor. Eisenberg still looks TERRIBLE in the role though, egads, what was Snyder thinking?

Diane Lane as Mama Kent continues to rock.

Poor Henry Cavill...thought he was signing up to be the relatively happy, optimistic superhero, and like 90% of his job is to make angsty pained faces.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 4

I like that the destruction of Metropolis in MoS was purposeful (I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say it was intentional and that this isn't then retroactively making it an important plot point).

However most of the action scenes look like one of those fanmade trailers. See they get around lack of budget by making all of the scenes at night and having everything on fire.

Wonder Woman is looking like a little girl next to Supes and Batman. Sigh.