Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Drogo

TLC Junkies: 90DF + Other Train Wrecks

Recommended Posts

A gathering place to discuss all the garbage shows you watch besides this one! 

Compare/contrast/cry.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Okay I'll go first. I'm a reality and political tv junkie. With what's happening with politics I need the comic relief from reality shows. I love 600 pound life (I fried my ice cream so the calories evaporated), all the 90 day shows (foreign women have more traditional values; also known as I can't get anyone in my hemisphere), flipping out (gage would be with Jeff if he was a burger flipper instead of a mansion flipper), below deck ( yes, I'm sorry to say mega rich people on mega yachts are usually bigger dicks). There are a few more I'm sorry to admit. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

OK, I'll play.  In addition to all the 90DF shows. Love your description suziespend, but  you forgot to mention how exciting it is when someone meets THE LOVE OF THEIR LIFE!!!

Spoiler

 

I have to admit I watched Sister wives on TLC.  Love the fact that clearly miserable people all talk about how wonderful their lifestyle is.

On Lifetime, I watch Married at First Sight.  This is roughly like the old computer dating of my youth (where people would fill out questionnaires and the computer would match you with dates) but they are LEGALLY MARRIED (tm mafs),

Don't know how I got the spoiler tag and don't know how to get rid of it - sorry.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

My "reality" guilty pleasures:

  • Sisterwives
  • 600-Pound Life
  • My Big Fat Fabulous Life
  • 90-Day Fiance (all variations)
  • Deadliest Catch
  • Alaskan Bush People (I rarely watch it any more, but I do love the snark!)

I also like court shows (Judge Judy, The People's Court) and competition (Amazing Race, Survivor, etc.)  And true crime stuff.  As a retiree, my TV is on all day.  I'm not "watching" it all day, but it's a backdrop while I'm on my computer, crocheting, etc.  During the political season, I tend to DVR most shows and start watching them about 20 minutes AFTER they start "live" so I can FF through the political commercials.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, spankydoll said:

Oh shoot. I meant to quote the Whitney Thore. Very happy to see someone else who watches MBFFL. That's a train wreck and a half! I think that Whit would have very good luck with some of the Nigerian or Moroccan men as they appear to embrace all body types and types of beauty, fitness and grooming. 

LOL Don't give TLC any ideas. They might suggest Twitney get herself an overseas boyfriend for a crossover.

Share this post


Link to post

I watched Outdaughtered once.   She was whining that no one signed their "help" calendar.   I'm sorry, I'm not giving up my Saturday because you decided to have a littler.   

  • Like 10
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hi. My name is Pepper Mostly and I'm a reality TV junkie. 

My 600 pound life (and live chat)

The whole 90 Day Fiance shooting match

Teen Mom and Teen Mom 2

Project Runway, Top Chef, Amazing Race

Recovering Survivor watcher--I gave up after the love affair with Russell Hantz.

Say Yes to the Dress in all its permutations, also Four Weddings, I Want that Wedding, I Found the Gown, anything wedding related even though I'm an unconventional sort who most emphatically has no truck with "traditional" ceremonials.

Sister Wives and all the other polygamy shows (but only for the snark here)

Also enjoy Untold Stories of the ER and Mystery Diagnosis, but more casually. 

I found a great show on Netflix called "Cheapest Weddings" and its a dream! 

I know I have a problem. But I can't walk away

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

“Love After Lockup” on WE. It’s “reality” gold! And is coming back this month. 

I watch too many of these shows to name all, but I do like British Baking Championship (I think that’s what it’s called,) all of the 90D, Ink Master, 600 Lb Life, Flipping Out, etc. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

You’ll find me most often snarking in any and all Bachelor franchise show boards. As a card-carrying citizen of “Bachelor Nation,” I suppose I can sponsor any of you with a K-1 visa to Bachelor Nation—just as long as you cut the meat on the bias. Next in line on my top snarking shows are Van Der Pump Rules and Southern Charm. VDPR in particular I’m amazed that that cast still knows how to bring it all these years later!!

I also watch dramas, but I only post about the ones that I feel require some analysis or are more interesting with hearing others’ impressions—currently American Horror Story (lame season) but also shows like The Affair and Atlanta. (Different web site way back when, but Lost was the show that started my love affair with TV chat board analysis.)

I’m thankful that these 90 Day shows are now on a continuous rotation because I don’t otherwise watch anything on TLC and would always tune in halfway+ through the season if I happened to notice it on “the channel channel.” They’ve learned how to keep my affection with constant attention bombing like a foreign connection desperate to get out of his/her impoverished country. And you all won me over with your hilarious posts, that I’m ready to offer this ring to whomever will take it, pass out my ATM PIN on the streets of Nigeria, and sign over my life savings for a beauty shop. I’ll even work on myself, babe. 

Edited by JenE4
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Hi

I am Ms Frauded and Ms Understood... 

I watch all the Housewhores on Bravo, Love me 90Day Trainwrecks, Below Deck, Love after Lockup, 24 to Life, Sisterwives of the traveling Cody, American Horror Story, You, The Purge.. very well rounded not in the Whitney Thore way, just with my viewing and drinking frostie beverages kinda way. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Hi folks,

The shows I watch all the time:

All of the 90 Day Fiance shows

Teen Mom Young and Pregnant, Teen Mom 2 and Teen Mom OG

Unexpected

My 600 pound Life

Lost in Transition

Love after Lock up

I refuse to watch any show with babies or toddlers because I will pull my hair out.

I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Parking Wars and so wish they would bring it back. I bought every season of that show on DVD and am waiting and hoping that some day my DVR will capture the original pilot episode that was filmed 10 years before the show was even put on TV.

I used to watch Little People, Big World way back when it started but as soon as the family took their first "vacation" the show jumped the shark for me and I had no interest once they became "celebrities."

I used to LOVE The First 48 but watched it so much that I'm on a break from it. 

One of my favorite trainwreck shows was Prison Wives. It lasted one season and I don't even remember the network it was on but yikes those women were nutso. I am almost positive we snarked on that one regularly on TWOP.

I have been out of work since last Dec being treated for cancer so I have time at home to watch and this forum has been a godsend to me. It's made me laugh when in pain and really helps take my mind off things. So thanks for snarking and hello to everyone who hasn't seen me around!

Edited by configdotsys
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:25 AM, configdotsys said:

I have been out of work since last Dec being treated for cancer so I have time at home to watch and this forum has been a godsend to me. It's made me laugh when in pain and really helps take my mind off things. So thanks for snarking and hello to everyone who hasn't seen me around!

Hugs to you, I pray for a speedy and less painful recovery

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I love my 600 pound life, it is fascinating and sad. Dr Now is the funniest little man with his bad hair and calling out bs. I love flipping out, yes Mr Lewis can be quite nasty but always funny. Anything related to polygamy I will watch esp Sister wives. I watch all the 90 days fiancé iterations because 20 years ago I was one ? Apart from Better Call Saul that’s it for my cable watching. I do love a good true crime doc on Netflix or Amazon Prime

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 2:49 PM, Brooklynista said:

What is this Love after Lockup I keep hearing about?  Sounds like my type of trash but I have no idea where/when I can find it.

Season 2 will premiere in December. 

Basically, it's 90DF - except instead of losers looking overseas for someone physically way out of their league, they're scouring prison penpal websites. 

And instead of the partners coming to live with them on a K-1 visa, they're getting paroled.   

It's a fucking disaster. 

You'll love it.

 

20 hours ago, Owwwww ma leg said:

Dr Now is the funniest little man with his bad hair and calling out bs.

Dr. Now is a unique kind of shit talker.  "You must listen to my shit-talking and heed my warnings else you will most certainly die."

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

90 Day Fiance and its various permutations + Counting On and anything Duggar-related.  I watch these idiots to confirm that I am a superior being.

The Great British Bake Off because a)  I love baking  b) paul hollywood is handsome  c) its nice to watch a show with normal-ish people who aren't fame-whoring for the camera.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

My reality tv line up includes:

 

Counting On

Teen Mom

My 600 Lbs Life

Sister Wives

Little People Big World

Unexpected

My friend got me hooked on “Happily Ever After” this summer and I decided to join this bandwagon. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'll play too.  I'm a news junkie too, and like the earlier post, I watch trash TV to escape.  

My TLC watching started with "Say Yes to the Dress."  I started watching this after my husband died because I was meeting so many widows who were bitter at having to live in a world full of couples, and I didn't want that to be me.  So I started watching to desensitize myself to people being young and happy and full of promise.  (And yeah, it did work.)

The problem is that once you start, it's hard to stop.  So I started watching the Amish shows.  Then I caught the tail end of "Outdaughtered" once and started watching that.  Then of course once you start watching "Outdaughtered" the next up is "Unexpected."  And then one night there was nothing on so I caught some of a 90DF variant and that was like visual crack for sheer snark value.

I draw the line at anything involving the Duggars.  I can't stand them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, brilliantbreakfast said:

I'll play too.  I'm a news junkie too, and like the earlier post, I watch trash TV to escape.  

 Ditto. I'm a former news junkie, because now....I just can't.

(To this, my Grands would say "then DON'T") ?

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, brilliantbreakfast said:

My TLC watching started with "Say Yes to the Dress."  I started watching this after my husband died because I was meeting so many widows who were bitter at having to live in a world full of couples, and I didn't want that to be me.  So I started watching to desensitize myself to people being young and happy and full of promise.  (And yeah, it did work.)

I’m very sorry for the loss of your husband.

 

But do many widows really feel that way?! Do you think that widows/widowers are more bitter than never partnered persons?

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Ok im in I am Lynnlynnlynn i guess i am a reality junkie to.I only use this forum and i laughed loudly while even at work. I loved flipping out (Jeff is a awesome smartass) i do all the teen moms and the Amish. I watch the housewifes except Dallas and Atlanta (use to watch they are idiots) All of you say what i am thinking and of course i watch the stupid 90 day people......Ok Have a nice snark ? Lynn

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I seem to be only dipping my toes in the fetid pool of reality shows.  Aside from any of the 90 Day iterations, I only watch My 600-Pound Life, I Am Jazz, Flip or Flop, Leah Remini's Scientology show, and any Great Baking Show.  But a lot of my time is taken up with L&O: SVU, cooking shows and Y&R.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hi, All, Just wanted to pop in and say how much I love reading your take on my favorite shows. I watch all the 90 Days shows, all polygamy shows, My 600 lb Life (love Dr. Now), I Am Jazz, Lost in Transition. On a more serious note, I like Long Lost Family. I am done with Teen Mom 2 because they are adding Bristol Palin. My favorite show is Homicide Hunter and I enter the contest every week because I really, really want to ride around with my hero, Joe Kenda.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/28/2018 at 10:26 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I’m very sorry for the loss of your husband.

 

But do many widows really feel that way?! Do you think that widows/widowers are more bitter than never partnered persons?

I am also sorry for your loss, @brilliantbreakfast

Hopefully this is not universal, but I was widowed about 4 years ago when I was in my early 40's.  My husband died in August and my best friend of 20 years married in November of the same year.  I can say, without hesitation, that everyone in my widow/ers group judged me harshly for not only attending the wedding but being the honor attendant.  My attitude was "hey, I WANT my friends to be happy and in love."  I could celebrate my friends' happiness without it devaluing my marriage.  I also don't have that "all about me" feeling.  Their wedding was about them, not me.  Did I make some concessions, like having my own hotel room instead of sharing with a friend, just in case it was all too much?  Sure.  But, c'mon, life doesn't stop because I'm sad.

So, yes, in my experience many widows (and a few widowers) are bitter.

Just FYI: They also judged me for attending funerals and returning to work after "only" 6 weeks.  They considered themselves much better widow/ers because they were disabled by grief and took it as a sign of their deeper love for their deceased spouses.  I took it as a sign of having bills to pay. 

That said, I couldn't watch Say Yes to the Dress for several years after the late Mr. Oliver's death.  I could be happy for my own friends, family, loved ones, and even acquaintances, but I could not stand the (usually) vapid, entitled, shallow, privileged princesses and their entourages, and that had everything to do with losing my own sweetheart.  I met a gentleman that might be the one after the one; we have been together about a year.  I knew I was in love again when I realized I hadn't changed the channel after one of "my" shows ended, SYTTD was on, and I didn't immediately hate everything about the show or the bride.  

My other reality indulgences:

My 600 Lb Life (I especially like seeing the reality of what it takes to live as a giant person.)

My Big Fat Fabulous Life (although with the bad edits from last season, I didn't really watch.  I want SOMETHING close to reality, not *just* a WWT snark show.)

Polygamy shows/specials (although I haven't watched Sister Wives in years since I don't like the people.) 

Life After Lockup (also loved Prison Wives.)

Married at First Sight

Lost in Transition

24 to Life

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

@CousinOliver thank you for sharing your insight. I would’ve understood if your husband had passed the week before not attending your friend’s wedding- but two months? Of course I’m sure you loved your husband and miss him, but I wouldn’t expect anyone to stop attending events or finding joy in things because a spouse passed away. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

@CousinOliver thank you for sharing your insight. I would’ve understood if your husband had passed the week before not attending your friend’s wedding- but two months? Of course I’m sure you loved your husband and miss him, but I wouldn’t expect anyone to stop attending events or finding joy in things because a spouse passed away. 

To be fair, grief is weird and complicated and pretty unique to individuals.  Given that I was in a grief group, I would have expected people to articulate feelings of jealousy or bitterness at just the mere existence of happy couples (I just wasn't expecting them to judge me for NOT sharing or indulging the same feelings.)  I have certainly gone through stages where I was having an (internal) pity party. 

Having been single through my 20s and half of my 30s, I can say that the bitterness of having something stolen from me unexpectedly certainly, at times, surpassed the bitterness I had as the perpetually unmarried woman attending the endless weddings of my friends.  Then, other times, I rejoiced I had experienced more love in those short years than some of my friends had in 20 years of marriage.  Sometimes I had such opposite feelings in the same day.  Ahh, fresh grief -- I don't miss you at all.

I try (try soooo much) not to be too judgemental about stuff (unless there is a very quick remarriage -- that gets some serious side eye from me), although, deep down, I truly don't get nurturing and embracing grief unto bitterness. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Such amazing, interesting people on these forums. Bless you all.  I keep coming back even though I only watch the 90 Day nuts, the MAFS couples and Below Deck. Like Seven Year Switch but this past 3rd season, not as much. I see Dr. Now now and then and admire how determined and brave some of his patients are. Used to like Top Chef and Project Runway although some more recent winners on both took the joy out of them for me. I live for NFL football. I watch the Sunday night crazy people shows, then watch the replay of the pm game at 4 AM, because I'm up like a ghoul at weird hours. Best of everything. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/30/2018 at 10:26 AM, CousinOliver said:

I am also sorry for your loss, @brilliantbreakfast

Hopefully this is not universal, but I was widowed about 4 years ago when I was in my early 40's.  My husband died in August and my best friend of 20 years married in November of the same year.  I can say, without hesitation, that everyone in my widow/ers group judged me harshly for not only attending the wedding but being the honor attendant.  My attitude was "hey, I WANT my friends to be happy and in love."  I could celebrate my friends' happiness without it devaluing my marriage.  I also don't have that "all about me" feeling.  Their wedding was about them, not me.  Did I make some concessions, like having my own hotel room instead of sharing with a friend, just in case it was all too much?  Sure.  But, c'mon, life doesn't stop because I'm sad.

So, yes, in my experience many widows (and a few widowers) are bitter.

Just FYI: They also judged me for attending funerals and returning to work after "only" 6 weeks.  They considered themselves much better widow/ers because they were disabled by grief and took it as a sign of their deeper love for their deceased spouses.  I took it as a sign of having bills to pay. 

That said, I couldn't watch Say Yes to the Dress for several years after the late Mr. Oliver's death.  I could be happy for my own friends, family, loved ones, and even acquaintances, but I could not stand the (usually) vapid, entitled, shallow, privileged princesses and their entourages, and that had everything to do with losing my own sweetheart.  I met a gentleman that might be the one after the one; we have been together about a year.  I knew I was in love again when I realized I hadn't changed the channel after one of "my" shows ended, SYTTD was on, and I didn't immediately hate everything about the show or the bride.  

My other reality indulgences:

My 600 Lb Life (I especially like seeing the reality of what it takes to live as a giant person.)

My Big Fat Fabulous Life (although with the bad edits from last season, I didn't really watch.  I want SOMETHING close to reality, not *just* a WWT snark show.)

Polygamy shows/specials (although I haven't watched Sister Wives in years since I don't like the people.) 

Life After Lockup (also loved Prison Wives.)

Married at First Sight

Lost in Transition

24 to Life

Thanks for weighing in on this.   

I don't know if many widows/widowers are bitter, but many do feel cheated of a life that others still have, no matter how young or old they are or how long they were married.  The "grief competition" thing is real as well, as are the judgments.  I worked through my husband's illness because I had to. The only concession my manager made was letting me work remotely from home or from hospitals.  I went back to work at the office two weeks after my husband died because I had to, and because I only had 3 days of bereavement leave and 7 days of vacation time yet.  I am now five years out, and I see widows (it's mostly the women) still with raw grief, judging those who are not still unable to get out of bed.  I'll grant you -- finding a place for this "new normal" as it becomes more immediate than the married years were can be challenging.  After five years, my 30 years with my husband were like someone else's life.  I'm not dating, nor do I have any desire to.  I had a couple of bad experiences with men's scorn just at social gatherings that were not even for singles so I just don't want to deal with it.

My other reality indulgences:

Married at First Sight
Survivor
Return to Amish
Lost in Transition
I am Jazz
Outdaughtered

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:26 AM, CousinOliver said:

Hopefully this is not universal, but I was widowed about 4 years ago when I was in my early 40's.  My husband died in August and my best friend of 20 years married in November of the same year.  I can say, without hesitation, that everyone in my widow/ers group judged me harshly for not only attending the wedding but being the honor attendant.  My attitude was "hey, I WANT my friends to be happy and in love."  I could celebrate my friends' happiness without it devaluing my marriage.  I also don't have that "all about me" feeling.  Their wedding was about them, not me.  Did I make some concessions, like having my own hotel room instead of sharing with a friend, just in case it was all too much?  Sure.  But, c'mon, life doesn't stop because I'm sad.

So, yes, in my experience many widows (and a few widowers) are bitter.

Just FYI: They also judged me for attending funerals and returning to work after "only" 6 weeks.  They considered themselves much better widow/ers because they were disabled by grief and took it as a sign of their deeper love for their deceased spouses.  I took it as a sign of having bills to pay. 

I think some of it has to do with age as well.  A family that was almost a 2nd family to me when I was growing up lost their mother when she was in her 50's.  She was ill for many years - a slow and painful decline.  The father was by her side through the whole thing.  Not long after she passed, he started dating again.  The kids were supportive (they were all adults by then) but lots of people were not.  What they failed to understand was that she was so ill for so long that to them, she had technically passed away months before, when she took a sharp decline.  One of his harshest critics was the mother of a woman I worked with.  That woman lost her father the same year.  Her mother was in her late 60's/early 70's.  They were in mourning for a LONG time (ex: taking ads out in the paper every month about how much they missed him).  Her mother never stopped wearing her rings.  They were both constantly critical of the father in the other family dating "so soon".  When they got married (like 2 years later) they were still criticizing.  When you're in your 70's, you can find love again, but as harsh as it sounds, it's going to be short lived.  The father of the family I knew is still married to his 2nd wife.  They're now in their early 70's, but have had a good 15-ish years together.  That's a huge difference.  When you're a younger widow, people just need to STFU.  Even when there are no kids involved.  It's not a competition, like many people seem to think it is.  Everyone grieves differently.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/22/2018 at 6:07 AM, Drogo said:

Season 2 will premiere in December. 

Basically, it's 90DF - except instead of losers looking overseas for someone physically way out of their league, they're scouring prison penpal websites. 

And instead of the partners coming to live with them on a K-1 visa, they're getting paroled.   

It's a fucking disaster. 

You'll love it.

 

Dr. Now is a unique kind of shit talker.  "You must listen to my shit-talking and heed my warnings else you will most certainly die."

How am I only now just hearing about this show? On it!

I watch all the 90DF trainwrecks. I watch Bachelor shows with lots of FF, and I am not a right reasons watcher. I also watch Below Deck and BDM, Sister Wives, and Married at First Sight. I tend to turn to TV when there's not much else going on - so I wind up being a Netflix/Hulu watcher more than anything else. Mostly there I like really great documentaries; I reserve my trash for cable on demand shows.

Edited by NoWhammies · Reason: I forgot Sister Wives. How could I forget Sister Wives?

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size