Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Hello

Trini
  • Start Topic

"Hello"

- Shaun's proposed treatment for a homeless patient puts him and Jared in Andrews' crosshairs. Meanwhile, Claire tries to overcome Melendez's reluctance to do a risky heart operation while Glassman must overcome his personal feelings about his oncologist, Dr. Marina Blaize, and face a difficult decision about his health.

"Hello" was written by Freddie Highmore and directed by Mike Listo.

• Love 2

Yay, we're back! And with a really bittersweet episode to boot. Seriously, thanks, show, for reminding me why I'll miss Jared :(. Got all misty-eyed at his goodbye scene with Claire. And I loved everything with him and Shaun tonight, too. Such a great rapport between them-I enjoyed seeing them work together. Really good send-off, though I hope that he'll pop in from time to time if and when possible. That'd be nice. 

Everything with Glassman and Shaun was touching tonight, too. I sympathize with Shaun's fear and wanting to distance himself-it's tough to watch somebody you love go through this stuff. But of course, naturally he'll be there for him anyway :). 

Good patient cases tonight, too. It must be fun for the props department to make these replicas of various organs-they sure seem to love making them look as gross and realistic as possible :p. 

Looks like one heck of a season setting up here, if that end promo is anything to go by! I'm excited to see how this all plays out. 

• Love 16

Well I don't remember Andrews getting on my nerves like this last season. If this episode was supposed to reaffirm that Jared needed to go it did exactly the opposite! I can't believe that they are losing the relationship between Jared and Shaun. When I think about the people that they kept on this show and they let him go I just don't understand it. Tonight's episode was excellent. Melendez was my favorite when he told Andrews to get out of his office. Claire just seems to not know what she wants and I'm glad that Jared recognized that.

• Love 11

Gosh, Josh was one of my absolute favorite characters on the show....what a back story and what an opportunity for a bunch of epis - at least in my opinion.

Plus I can't deny that this old lady finds the actor to be so seriously hot and cool, I WANT to be 50 years younger!  Sigh.

What a great opening to the season.

As a cancer survivor, I totally understand the feel of "going thru it alone" and yet the need for people.  I understand the fear of people to engage not really knowing what they can do (nithing really except be there).

Sometimes a car or phone call was enough.  Many times a phone call or an inperson visit was too much...it's a tough road for everyone.

So happy the show is back.

• Love 11

I am seriously going to miss Jared, his goodbye was so deeply sad. I will especially miss his bond with Shaun, he seemed so just chill with him without any ulterior motives, it was so nice to see. Maybe he can come back from his exile at some point?

Still a good episode, and I am thrilled that the show is back, it feels like its been ages! I can already tell the stuff with Glassman and Shaun is going to be a tough road. I can understand Shaun being in denile about Glassman possibly dying, but I am so glad that Shaun decided to be with him. Yeah, Glassman might be doing this on his own, but he doesn't really want to ride that train all on his own. 

Will Claire have more weekly emotional traumas this season? Poor Claire.

The patients of the week were pretty good, I felt really bad for the homeless guy with the tumor. What an awful situation, to go from being a normal guy to homeless and delusional in what sounds like somewhat of a short time just seems so awful. And to watch your husband/dad go through that, then disappear, all because of a misdiagnosis. 

Looks like a good season coming up! 

• Love 5

It's back!

Not every character gets a goodbye scene/episode, so I'm glad Jared got one, but I'm going to miss him!

Should I assume that the evaluations that we heard about in this premiere (Shaun/Claire/Grating Blonde), means that those characters will be getting specific growth arcs this season?

Surprised that Glassman's oncologist only got one scene.

Liked the animation of Shaun figuring out his throw/the homeless man's diagnosis. I hope they have the budget to continue to do those.

Lots of changes from where we started in season 1, but none that I think are detrimental. Looking forward to the rest of this season!

...Except for Lea - eh.

• Love 8

The Good Doctor is back, so it's time for another hour of "Try not to get too teary-eyed, folks!"

I'm glad they gave Jared a good send-off.  As I mentioned before, he wasn't my favorite character, but I'm still bummed that he's gone, because I grew to like the relationship he had with Shaun.  They weren't best buds or anything, but there was a respect between the two of them, and I think they challenged each other in a way that helped make them grow as doctors and general human beings.  Hopefully Chuku Modu goes on to other things, but I wouldn't mind if they found a way to bring him back somewhere down the line.

It took me forever to place Raphael Sbarge as Harry.  Good homeless guy make-up there!  He is one of those actors I see in almost everything (even an episode of Bates Motel!), and he was great as always.

Andrews might be kind of a dick still, but I do think he is right that Claire needs to be more assertive, and hopefully she'll take that to heart: especially when it comes to freaking Reznick.  I see she's still the same as always.  Park seen to take a bit of a backseat, but I kind of like to imagine he's just sitting there all "Can't we just be doctors and quit with this drama, folks?"  I do wonder what his evaluation was though.  My head-cannon is that before Andrews could even speak, Park flipped out a notepad and began interrogating him about what he's doing right and wrong, and Andrews was just like "I don't have time for this!  Just stay out of trouble and don't talk a prisoner into shooting himself so we can use his organs again, and we'll be cool."

Freddie Highmore and Richard Schiff were great with the Shaun/Glassman scenes as always.  Didn't get much of Lisa Edelstein this go around, but I'm sure that will change.

Unlike Jared, Jessica disappeared without a trace, huh?  Still, as much as I like Beau Garrett, it felt like they never could figure her character out, so I'm not too shaken up over it.  Plus, Lim/Christina Chang is now a regular instead.   Yay, Lim!

Once again, I can't believe that I've grown to like Melendez as much as I do now.  They really did a good job turning his character around after the first few episodes last season.

Freddie Highmore wrote this one, I see.  One thing I noticed between this and the episodes he wrote for Bates Motel is that he really seems to enjoy using the entire cast and doesn't just make it about him and his character.  I know that might get getting into damning with faint praise territory to be all "Yay for not having a massive ego!" about it, but considering how the industry works, it is refreshing to see a lead that isn't out for just himself, but wants everyone to standout.  One of the many reasons I love him (another is, of course, be an amazing actor.)

Glad the show is finally back!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 15
12 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Park seen to take a bit of a backseat, but I kind of like to imagine he's just sitting there all "Can't we just be doctors and quit with this drama, folks?"  I do wonder what his evaluation was though.  My head-cannon is that before Andrews could even speak, Park flipped out a notepad and began interrogating him about what he's doing right and wrong, and Andrews was just like "I don't have time for this!  Just stay out of trouble and don't talk a prisoner into shooting himself so we can use his organs again, and we'll be cool."

LOL, I approve of this headcanon :D. 

Freddie Highmore wrote this one, I see.  One thing I noticed between this and the episodes he wrote for Bates Motel is that he really seems to enjoy using the entire cast and doesn't just make it about him and his character.  I know that might get getting into damning with faint praise territory to be all "Yay for not having a massive ego!" about it, but considering how the industry works, it is refreshing to see a lead that isn't out for just himself, but wants everyone to standout.  One of the many reasons I love him (another is, of course, be an amazing actor.)

Yes! I appreciated that, too. Highmore was on Seth Meyers' show last week and they even discussed/joked a bit about how easy it would be for most actors to make themselves the focus like that, specially if the show centers heavily around their specific character in general. It's definitely refreshing to see an actor who can show that kind of appreciation to their fellow castmates like that, and lets them have their moment in the spotlight. 

He also knows how to capture the tension of a moment-his "Bates Motel" episodes had that in spades, and there was a nice bit of it here as well. I was sitting here genuinely wondering at times whether both patients would make it or if only one would survive, as has happened in the past, and I was nervous during the team's surgery on the woman as well.

• Love 2

Count me as another one who loved the Shaun/Jared relationship. Best part ofthe show, by far.

By contrast, I really don't like Lisa Edelman or Richard Schiff, so I hope they keep putting the two of them in scenes with no one else, so I can mostly ignore them.

I kept wondering what book Shaun was reading. I wondered if it was an oncology textbook.

• Love 6

Andrews is annoying. I feel like this show is trying a little too hard to have “villains” as foils for the “heroes” but I don’t think it is necessary.

6 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Was Andrews upset because Jared treated somebody who obviously didn't have insurance to cover his medical care? Andrews was OK with small, simple, inexpensive medical care, just nothing too expensive?

Because the Homeless Help "Day" was Glassman's idea. Andrews doesn't want to spend money, he wants the hospital to make money.

1 hour ago, deaja said:

Andrews is annoying. I feel like this show is trying a little too hard to have “villains” as foils for the “heroes” but I don’t think it is necessary.

Except there are those people in real life. There will always be the doctor and/or head of the business(ie hospital) who are about the money/business at hand. They have shown his soft side. But he can't show that in front of them, because they won't respect his authority the way he thinks they should. Shows can't have all happy, nice people.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, luvapickle said:

Except there are those people in real life. There will always be the doctor and/or head of the business(ie hospital) who are about the money/business at hand. They have shown his soft side. But he can't show that in front of them, because they won't respect his authority the way he thinks they should. Shows can't have all happy, nice people.

I get that but it seems like they are pigeon holing him and Dr. Reznick as the bad ones at every turn. 

Dr. Melendez at the first part of last season was a good example- hot shot surgeon with a huge ego but then you would get softer moments too. Same with Jared to some degree. The last part of the first season and again last night it felt a lot less nuanced in how people were portrayed.

I can't believe they're actually kicking Jared off. Did the actor get another gig? I thought for sure it was going to end with him staying. His stellar relationship with Shaun aside, holy fuck, Chuku Modu is hot.

No more Grating Blonde please! The show is already developing an unwieldy number of cartoonish one-dimensional villains without her.

I know his father figure role is the emotional locus of the show, but honestly I'm bored by Glassman and I think he takes up way too much time. I'm not excited for this brain cancer storyline. I've had it with his morose, grouchy Eeyore attitude. Shaun has already Settled into his own – I would much prefer him interacting with other residents like Claire and Jared.

Count me in on the meh train re: Lea's return. She is just such an obvious manic pixie dream girl. I hate the asexual autistic person trope, but I'd much rather hold off on a Shaun romance storyline in favor of a slow burn with Claire in S3 when he has a bit more confidence with someone he's built a relationship with. I get that they're trying to convey that he is autistic and Lea's not and he has very little social (let alone romantic) experience, but their relationship right now is borderline uncomfortable to watch. Not because Shaun has autism, but because he's so painfully passive that it comes across as dubiously consensual. He just stares at Lea like a deer in headlights until she initiates something. Can't wait to watch his bulging eyes stare nervously into the distance while Lea teaches him what a blowjob is! I just wish they would press pause on the whole romance thing with Shaun until he could be an equal and enthusiastic participant. Shaun/Lea's virgin/teacher vibe isn't sexy and feels like Lea is taking advantage of Shaun.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

I can't believe they're actually kicking Jared off. Did the actor get another gig? I thought for sure it was going to end with him staying. His stellar relationship with Shaun aside, holy fuck, Chuku Modu is hot.

No more Grating Blonde please! The show is already developing an unwieldy number of cartoonish one-dimensional villains without her.

I know his father figure role is the emotional locus of the show, but honestly I'm bored by Glassman and I think he takes up way too much time. I'm not excited for this brain cancer storyline. I've had it with his morose, grouchy Eeyore attitude. Shaun has already Settled into his own – I would much prefer him interacting with other residents like Claire and Jared.

Count me in on the meh train re: Lea's return. She is just such an obvious manic pixie dream girl. I hate the asexual autistic person trope, but I'd much rather hold off on a Shaun romance storyline in favor of a slow burn with Claire in S3 when he has a bit more confidence with someone he's built a relationship with. I get that they're trying to convey that he is autistic and Lea's not and he has very little social (let alone romantic) experience, but their relationship right now is borderline uncomfortable to watch. Not because Shaun has autism, but because he's so painfully passive that it comes across as dubiously consensual. He just stares at Lea like a deer in headlights until she initiates something. Can't wait to watch his bulging eyes stare nervously into the distance while Lea teaches him what a blowjob is! I just wish they would press pause on the whole romance thing with Shaun until he could be an equal and enthusiastic participant. Shaun/Lea's virgin/teacher vibe isn't sexy and feels like Lea is taking advantage of Shaun.

I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking that Leah is not a good addition to the cash. The previews however make it appear that he is not going to be so passive and amazed by her. I just wonder if they're going to let us know what happened with the creepy neighbor

• Love 6

I'm going to go back through and give my likes for various comments, but I first want to say how much I didn't like the episode.  As I noticed as I skimmed through the thread, Jared will be missed, and all I could think of when I was watching is that HE's the one who should be staying.  The episode felt cold and hollow.  Jared was the one who provided the most warmth and empathy. 

Shaun even annoyed me.  I understand that he has autism, and he's not ever going to display emotion in the typical way.  However, I didn't buy that Jared would have to be the one to point out that Shaun should be with Glassman.  If that were anyone else, then yes, but this is Glassman, and Jared still practically had to spell it out for Shaun.  Shaun may not be able to connect with everyone, and he may never do it typically, but he should be able to register some level of something for Glassman.  Jared even tried to give Shaun a pass by bringing up that Shaun might be scared, but it didn't come across that way.  It came across as indifference.  Even with the autism, Shaun has been taught and encouraged in terms of social cues by many different people.  He's not dumb, and when it comes to his mentor that we know he loves, I just didn't buy the whole thing.

Andrews is such a dick, and I wish that Resnick would be hit by the nearest bus (but make sure to donate her organs if they're not as ice cold as she is.)

I hope next week is much better because this episode was a total downer.

ETA: Just read that Freddie wrote this episode.  While I'm a fan of his portrayal of Shaun, I was not a fan of this episode.  Sorry, Freddie.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, luvapickle said:

The problem is, though, that Resnick and Andrews are the same type of villain on the same show.  Opportunistic, ambitious people who would eat their young to advance their careers or get what they wanted.  I don't need two of them on the same show.  Also, as much as I love the actress who plays Andrews' wife, after this episode I don't want to waste time with the in vitro storyline because you can't convince me Andrews gives a shit about having kids.  This episode showed us what's important to him.  Power and recognition.  I don't need to see him create a "trophy," which is what I think a child would be in his eyes.  If we're going to do a "having children" storyline, put Melendez in a relationship and get things moving.  We know he actually wants children.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 3

@SnarkEnthusiast

This post made me laugh.  I see where you get the Eeyore thing from, and I don’t disagree.  However,  I do like Glassman, but then again, I like Eeyore too. 

I don’t like Lea being back.  I don’t trust her.  I think she is or will be a bad influence on Shaun. 

• Love 4

The story with the transplant seemed oddly lacking urgency, like they had a donated heart and could take their time deciding whether they could use it. Aren't those things much more regulated and time sensitive? In order to receive the heart, they'd surely have to have already done the tests and determined the suitability and gotten consent. They acted like the heart was just lying around the lab in case they decided they wanted it, and if not then no big deal, no one else is waiting and it won't lose viability?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Fable said:

I don’t like Lea being back.  I don’t trust her.  I think she is or will be a bad influence on Shaun. 

I think she'll use Shaun just like the neighbor did, or try to.  My first thought in seeing her back is, oh, guess she needs a place to crash rent-free for a while.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, izabella said:

I think she'll use Shaun just like the neighbor did, or try to.  My first thought in seeing her back is, oh, guess she needs a place to crash rent-free for a while.

I'm hoping she will help get rid of the jerk neighbor.

• Love 2
On 9/26/2018 at 2:34 AM, Fable said:

@SnarkEnthusiast

This post made me laugh.  I see where you get the Eeyore thing from, and I don’t disagree.  However,  I do like Glassman, but then again, I like Eeyore too. 

Glad to be of service! See my problem with Glassman is just that the storyline is now purely his own, which is extraneous to the show, even if they're using the cancer as a springboard for Shaun to become the emotional rock of the relationship for a change. The show isn't about Glassman and at least I personally saw Shaun and Glassman's mentoring dynamic as having an expiration date as the focus of the show. It was necessary to show Shaun transitioning to a hospital setting, but that's more or less been done now. They don't need to kill him off or do anything dramatic (which they are apparently doing anyway), but I would be happy to just see him as a background supervisor with a few dinner scenes with Shaun. At this point the character just seems to kind of exist to suck up to Richard Schiff. Glassman gets a lot of brooding introspective staring and I'm sure this season he will get many dramatic monologues contemplating life and death. Richard Schiff doesn't need more material for his acting reel. The trope of the cynical, jaded man in power refusing to deal with his own emotions as he wallows in existential dread has been done to death - no pun intended – and takes the focus off of Shaun. His character trajectory should be expanding beyond that relationship instead of retreading it in a new formula, if that makes sense. I would much rather that screen time be given to a Shaun or Claire plot.

Lea is the type of girl who claims to be a "free spirit" and probably uses her Astrology sign to justifying being an asshole. She'll ghost you for six months and show back up like nothing happened. @izabella is right, she'll just flirt with Shaun to sleep on his couch and then turn on the tears the second he tries to hold her accountable for abandoning him and hurting his feelings. Run Shaun! She's the Worst. Whatever flowery hippie sex she's going to dangle over your head isn't worth it.

Edited by SnarkEnthusiast
typo
  • Love 7

I pretty much echo everyone's sentiments, although I realized watching it with my 13-year-old last night that it's more her show than mine. I don't think I'd object to Reznick the villain so much if she was a better actor. She's practically twirling her villain mustache every time she opens her mouth. Same with Lea - ugh. Her aren't-I-cute-as-a-button shtick is already stale. I also am not crazy about Glassman's oncologist - why does everyone have to have a story!? Can't she just be the best darn oncologist ever instead of a recovering addict? And finally I felt sorry for the other guy in the waiting room when Glassman was acting like a child. He probably wasn't enjoying his time there either, bub.  

• Love 13
22 minutes ago, mookster said:

I also am not crazy about Glassman's oncologist - why does everyone have to have a story!? Can't she just be the best darn oncologist ever instead of a recovering addict?

Yeah, that seemed like an unnecessary complication. But at least we know about it upfront?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mookster said:

I also am not crazy about Glassman's oncologist - why does everyone have to have a story!?

At least she hasn't been revealed as his ex-girlfriend – that we know of. There's still a 50% chance of them banging before she gets him on the operating table.

• Love 1

I like Glassman, but given the preview, I'm not looking forward to this storyline.  I understand that this is a hospital show that features surgeons, but damn---talk about ragingly depressing if the preview is any indication.

I'm also tired of the "everyone bails/leaves" Shaun dynamic.  Steve is dead.  Shaun's parents are either dead or estranged from him.  Glassman is critically ill and may die.  Lea did leave even if she came back, and Jared just left.  It's difficult enough for Shaun to form attachments (be they long or short-term) as it is.  This revolving door of people always leaving him feels like we're getting beaten over the head with the fact that Shaun is always somewhat isolated from the world.  His autism already highlights that, making the revolving door unnecessary overkill.

1 hour ago, mookster said:

I don't think I'd object to Reznick the villain so much if she was a better actor. She's practically twirling her villain mustache every time she opens her mouth.

I'm still holding out hope that Lea won't mess up Shaun's life, but I completely agree about Resnick.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 4
32 minutes ago, tvfanatic13 said:

Can someone please remind me of the oncologist/LE’s backstory. I can’t remember at all! Glad this is back.

Apparently, Dr. Blaize had previously lost her position because of marijuana use. But she was reinstated, by Glassman, and she's 'clean' but she has to get tested weekly. She thinks that he may have did that so he could 'push her around' since she 'owes' him.

• Love 1

I am hoping that Reznick lightens up this season and Andrews becomes less of an ass.

Not sure how I feel about Leah being back because I don't think that she's the best influence on Shaun. I would like to see that horrible neighbor be gone.

Too bad Jared is gone. I think that he did a good job in helping Shaun strive to be a person who fits in better with others.

Edited by AEMom
Typo
  • Love 3

I was so looking forward to this season starting, but I was less than enchanted with the first episode. It seemed to me that the nuances that developed in the characters' personalities last season had evaporated. I was so annoyed with Andrews that I questioned whether I could keep watching (but I will).

I found it kind of odd that they brought Jared back this season just to send him off and thought perhaps he's not really gone, maybe something will work out and he will come back, a la Lea? Although their last conversation had me shaking my head -- she asks him to stay knowing he has no job opportunities except the one in Denver? What was she thinking? That he'd flip burgers and hang around to be with her, when she was never sure until now that she even wanted him?

Reznick has no redeeming qualities, in my book. She is another annoyance that detracts from my enjoyment of the show, as I can already tell the new oncologist will be (was never a fan of Cuddy). 

I found the whole interaction with the heart transplant patient totally unrealistic. That the surgery was set up by Andrews, who was motivated by publicity, before Melendez could establish a relationship with the patient was unbelievable to me, but when Melendez went to see her and told her there was a hitch but they'd worked it out, so see ya on the table was even worse. The son had to stop him and ask some obvious questions, like does this mean there's a bigger chance of failure? I would expect a surgeon to take the time to say those things to the patient. I get that there are time constraints and this is a TV show, but it was all handled so superficially that it left me unengaged.

Basically, the whole struggle over the heart patient showed that everyone was concerned with image and personal power and that care for the patient's well-being didn't come last but wasn't even on the table.  That was contrasted with the case handled by Jared and Shaun, of course, which helped. I don't like the feeling that all these successful people are motivated only by ego strokes and not by some passion for treating people. Even the hospital administrator lady was telling Andrews, go manipulate Melendez into doing what you want, that's what Glassman did. Did she even know what the surgery entailed or care about the risks and potential outcome? Again, not even on the table when it came to considerations.

I want to see more glimpses into the better natures of these doctors. Last season this show was feel good TV for me, but last night wasn't, so much.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ForReal said:

found the whole interaction with the heart transplant patient totally unrealistic. That the surgery was set up by Andrews, who was motivated by publicity, before Melendez could establish a relationship with the patient was unbelievable to me, but when Melendez went to see her and told her there was a hitch but they'd worked it out, so see ya on the table was even worse. The son had to stop him and ask some obvious questions, like does this mean there's a bigger chance of failure? I would expect a surgeon to take the time to say those things to the patient. I get that there are time constraints and this is a TV show, but it was all handled so superficially that it left me unengaged.

As I'm trying to recall Season 1, I seem to remember that we saw Melendez have several fairly lengthy conversations with patients in regard to what he was going to do in surgery.  i completely agree with you on this.  It seemed like Melendez was with the patient for like two minutes, and I remember him needing far less prompting in regard to questions.  Families still asked them in S1, but I remember that Neil seemed to volunteer more information.  If Melendez turns back into an arrogant jerk. I have to deal with Andrews and Reznick, there is no more Jared AND a seriously depressing cancer storyline seems to be on our horizon, Freddie's portrayal of Shaun may not be enough to keep me as a viewer.

• Love 2
On 9/25/2018 at 7:57 PM, Ohmo said:

Shaun may not be able to connect with everyone, and he may never do it typically, but he should be able to register some level of something for Glassman.

My 22 year old nephew, who is autistic, refused to visit his father or his beloved Nonna at the hospital.  Both had open-heart surgery about a year apart.  He even refused to see them when they were fine and recovering in rehab.  He just wanted to see them at home and he didn't even want us to talk about them because he would get so upset.  It is clear he has a deep love for both but he cannot express his fear and sadness well.  He avoids any and all things that are emotionally upsetting.  He is more moderate on the spectrum but I don't find this particularly unbelievable. 

• Love 4

Apparently there is a deleted scene where Andrews apologizes to Jared and asks him to stay.  It's going to be in the DVD but had to be cut due to the length of the episode.  He isn't a villain.  He's got what he wanted...and be careful what you ask for as being senior management can be a real drag.  As for Lea, give it time.  We don't know why she is back.  Like most peoples' girlfriends it doesn't matter what you think as long as the person (Shaun) loves her.  And he does.  

• Love 1
On 10/5/2018 at 12:36 PM, dcubed said:

My 22 year old nephew, who is autistic, refused to visit his father or his beloved Nonna at the hospital.  Both had open-heart surgery about a year apart.  He even refused to see them when they were fine and recovering in rehab.  He just wanted to see them at home and he didn't even want us to talk about them because he would get so upset.  It is clear he has a deep love for both but he cannot express his fear and sadness well.  He avoids any and all things that are emotionally upsetting.  He is more moderate on the spectrum but I don't find this particularly unbelievable. 

Agreed.  We *know* Shaun loves Dr Glassman deeply.  Shock over the diagnosis and an urge to find a solution almost caused a patient's death.  My son gets upset by lots of things.  He is generally in control of his emotions but occasionally lashes out.  He is very empathetic but it doesn't come out the same as neurotypical people.  The one fixture in Shaun's life is at risk so it's not surprising at all that he is in a state of denial.  The same one as : "I don't want love" or the one that makes it difficult for him even to consider dating given his prior experiences.  All that fear and pain comes out in the next episode.  

I really liked the episode but more when it related directly to Shaun.  When confronted by his fear of Dr Glassman's illness he makes the decision to be with his surrogate father.  He overcomes his sound sensitivity at the homeless camp and Jared (of course they do this as he is about to leave for good) finally understands a bit more of what makes Shaun tick including the throwaway fact that he has been homeless (too).  I hope the drop in ratings is just a natural thing and not about viewers not being able to accept that their socially clueless genius is going to grow over the hopefully many series this will be on.

• Love 4