Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Obsessed-Like

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

I guess I'll have to handwave a couple of things that were bothering me: Issa devoting all her time and energy to this block party without having a steady job, and the legal matter with Lyft being settled.  Next week is the season finale, so I'm just assuming the second part has worked itself out.  

And Molly takes another L.  I would feel for her if she hadn't pulled this same crap in s1.  Molly keeps getting in her own way, and the moment someone tells her the truth about herself, she's out.  I doubt we'll see Andrew again, but I don't blame him for what he said to her.  To make matters worse, Molly's made an enemy off Taurean.  She really needs to wise up.  This isn't always about getting to the top.  She's only been at the new firm a few weeks and she has no allies.  With the reputation she's earning, she'll have to watch her back with all of her coworkers.  I wonder if she's still going to therapy.

I knew Chad would end up losing his mind in church, and I loved it.  I was waiting for the inevitable breakdown after his wedding-that-wasn't.  He needs to become a regular next season!

The moment Church Girl was going on about how she'd devoted a year of her life to service, I knew Lawrence was out.  It's not a bad thing, but it was clearly too much for him.  He and Issa are getting back together, that I'm sure of.  But I think we'll see Nathan and Daniel at least one more time.

I appreciated the realism of what Issa was going through with Nathan ghosting.  She really opened herself up to this guy, and it hurts.  Naturally she wants to know why he disappeared, and the lengths she went to were sketchy.  But she deserves better.  I'm glad she deleted Nathan's presence off of her phone.

• Love 9

Good episode, the most season 1 & 2 like episode all season. I still want to see more Molly. She really hasn’t changed her dating game at all, same old, same old. I loved that they tackled ghosting this episode, I can really relate, waiting for a phone call or text.  I hated it when guys would just disappear, the unknown was the most frustrating thing. Issa went WAY too far but it was hilarious. 

Why did they show us Beat Kings if Issa wasn’t going to get a job there? I’ve met a Uber driver in San Fran before who made his living driving (he was a former taxi driver), so I guess it’s possible for Issa to make a living with Lyft, but it just seems so irresponsible. 

• Love 5

Preacher was hip and kind of a known actor  — Mykeleti Williamson — so it’s surprising that it’s a one-off appearance.

But Lawrence going to church is suppose to show he wants to change his lifestyle?  They had a coworker he seemed to like last season but that kind of evaporated.

Issa’s mind is racing wondering what became of Nathan.  They haven’t show her behave this way with Lawrence or Daniel but she does get in her head, as Molly noted.

So both Lawrence and Issa are lost souls at this moment, their paths set to cross again?  I hope not yet, because that sounds like a plot which would work better to end the series.

Molly meanwhile seems to be making the moves of a novice at the office rather than the successful woman she is suppose to be.  How could she not foresee that she’d alienate Taurean by doing the presentation on her own?  After already alienating other women in the office?

She doesn’t like being judged  — who does? — but maybe she should own up to some of the blame for her affair with Dro instead of saying she was fooled.  She’s had dating problems throughout the series.  Are they purposefully keeping her single so Issa and her BFF could always commiserate with each other about their problems with men?  Or her relative lack of success means she dates more men than Issa, which leads to a lot of scenes or stories for her character.

• Love 3

One of the reasons I love this show is how realistic a lot of it is. Having a fake IG account that you share with your friends so you can stalk people with the password slapahoe64 and then accidentally DMing the object of your attention from your real account? Yup. Ha, and OF COURSE Tiffany's account is tiffthewife. On a shallow note, I am one of those OCD nerds who will always look up accounts used on tv shows to see if they're real so it's always disappointing when I find out that half of them aren't (ahmallymal, tiffthewife, friedasees) and the few that are actually registered are private and/or have no posts (nateyourbarber and issadposts).

But GIRL! She really crossed the line when she went to Andrew's house, snuck up to Nathan's room, and started going through his stuff. Even after Molly flat out told her that she was being crazy, she STILL did it.

The other thing I like is that Molly and Issa are so good at giving clear minded advice to each other but they continue to screw up their own lives. I know that's normal because it's easier to see someone else's mistakes more clearly than we can see our own, so I like that they BOTH do that.

Chad losing his mind at church was hilarious.

I like Andrew. He is nice but not a pushover. He wasn't about to be swayed by a box of pastries. I love that he wasn't begging for Molly's forgiveness. He apologized and expected that to be the end of it. You know, like a normal/sane person.

I loved Issa and Lawrence having a post-relationship conversation about their lives and being supportive of each other. I really liked that Issa encouraged him to try a different church if the first one wasn't right for him. There are so many things in life - church, finding a good hairdresser, etc. - that just take a lot of trial and error. Sometimes you get lucky and you find one you like right away. Other times it can take a while. I always say it's like dating because you might have to try out a bunch before you find the right one for you.

• Love 13
9 hours ago, Amethyst said:

And Molly takes another L.  I would feel for her if she hadn't pulled this same crap in s1.  Molly keeps getting in her own way, and the moment someone tells her the truth about herself, she's out.  I doubt we'll see Andrew again, but I don't blame him for what he said to her.  To make matters worse, Molly's made an enemy off Taurean.  She really needs to wise up.  This isn't always about getting to the top.  She's only been at the new firm a few weeks and she has no allies.  With the reputation she's earning, she'll have to watch her back with all of her coworkers.  I wonder if she's still going to therapy.

I knew Chad would end up losing his mind in church, and I loved it.  I was waiting for the inevitable breakdown after his wedding-that-wasn't.  He needs to become a regular next season!

Molly seems awfully naive about office politics. I wouldn't pull that at a job I'd been at for five years, let alone five weeks or however long it's been.

I will say in Molly's defence over the whole Andrew thing that if she is keen on getting married and having kids at some point and if she is dead set on marrying a black man, given that she's already in her thirties, she shouldn't be wasting her time dating anyone she couldn't see herself marrying. Maybe it's for the best that she and Andrew didn't work out. 

"I don't know who the real Molly is, but are they all this fucked up?" Ouch.

Chad crying in church was hilarious, as was the pastor's attempt at being hip by talking about Twitter and Instagram ("What's happening...in your soul?").

The moment Church Girl was going on about how she'd devoted a year of her life to service, I knew Lawrence was out. 

To be fair, after hearing that, I think most people would be out.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 9

Issa. ISSA GIRL. I got ghosted after four years (on and off, but still) and showing up at his place is too far. I mean, Nanceford ghosting is shitty, and I can get scrolling through social media and reading the texts for clues she might have missed, but just dropping in? In your pajamas? Girl. I'm glad she deleted him (she needs to delete those texts too, they'll drive her crazy). Her friendship with Lawrence is nice.

(Don't ghost people unless you are afraid for your safety, y'all. Just tell them you're not feeling it.)

3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I like Andrew. He is nice but not a pushover. He wasn't about to be swayed by a box of pastries. I love that he wasn't begging for Molly's forgiveness. He apologized and expected that to be the end of it. You know, like a normal/sane person.

The guy who had fooled around with another man was like this too. The show does a good job of highlighting that the issues are with Molly. And damn, for a woman who's supposed to be a smart, astute lawyer who has logged, what, five years at a big firm, Molly appears to have no clue what she's doing in terms of office politics.

I think even better than Chad losing it was Lawrence's " ..." reaction to Chad losing it. I like that Lawrence is trying to find himself - he wants more from his life than "working and fucking" - and Issa is right, it can take ages to find the church that fits you.

I'm still not sure if Issa is aiming to make any money from this block party thing.

• Love 9

This was a hard episode to watch! Issa done lost her damn mind and Molly is intent on burning bridges and blocking her blessings.

I was cringing and going "Issa, no!" and "Molly, girl!" the whole episode.  

I could have done without Lawrence and the only reason I tolerate him is because of Chad.  "I've strayed too far!"  The church scenes were hilarious.

Damn Nanceford. I was rooting for you!

• Love 13

Chad up in church scoping out the women and calling them bad bitches, and then having the nerve to answer the altar call. He is a mess.

Molly, you (probably) in danger, girl. You're really digging yourself into an unnecessary hole at work.

Oh Issa. You didn't just cross the line, you dropped dynamite on it. Huge foul on violating Nathan's personal space like that.

Why was that church woman recruiting Lawrence so hard? Looking for a husband?

Issa, no. Bad rebound.

• Love 8

Just when the season was getting really good it's about to end. Merde!

Did I miss something? Why the hell would Molly tell Andrew about Dro?

Completely understand Issa's obsession with being ghosted but cannot believe she went to Nathan's house in her pyjamas and went through his shit and that Molly went along with it. 

Speaking of Molly, she may need to start her own one-woman firm because girl does not know how to play well with others.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, healthnut said:

Good episode, the most season 1 & 2 like episode all season. I still want to see more Molly. She really hasn’t changed her dating game at all, same old, same old. I loved that they tackled ghosting this episode, I can really relate, waiting for a phone call or text.  I hated it when guys would just disappear, the unknown was the most frustrating thing. Issa went WAY too far but it was hilarious. 

Why did they show us Beat Kings if Issa wasn’t going to get a job there? I’ve met a Uber driver in San Fran before who made his living driving (he was a former taxi driver), so I guess it’s possible for Issa to make a living with Lyft, but it just seems so irresponsible. 

8 hours ago, scrb said:

Preacher was hip and kind of a known actor  — Mykeleti Williamson — so it’s surprising that it’s a one-off appearance.

But Lawrence going to church is suppose to show he wants to change his lifestyle?  They had a coworker he seemed to like last season but that kind of evaporated.

Issa’s mind is racing wondering what became of Nathan.  They haven’t show her behave this way with Lawrence or Daniel but she does get in her head, as Molly noted.

So both Lawrence and Issa are lost souls at this moment, their paths set to cross again?  I hope not yet, because that sounds like a plot which would work better to end the series.

Molly meanwhile seems to be making the moves of a novice at the office rather than the successful woman she is suppose to be.  How could she not foresee that she’d alienate Taurean by doing the presentation on her own?  After already alienating other women in the office?

She doesn’t like being judged  — who does? — but maybe she should own up to some of the blame for her affair with Dro instead of saying she was fooled.  She’s had dating problems throughout the series.  Are they purposefully keeping her single so Issa and her BFF could always commiserate with each other about their problems with men?  Or her relative lack of success means she dates more men than Issa, which leads to a lot of scenes or stories for her character.

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

One of the reasons I love this show is how realistic a lot of it is. Having a fake IG account that you share with your friends so you can stalk people with the password slapahoe64 and then accidentally DMing the object of your attention from your real account? Yup. Ha, and OF COURSE Tiffany's account is tiffthewife. On a shallow note, I am one of those OCD nerds who will always look up accounts used on tv shows to see if they're real so it's always disappointing when I find out that half of them aren't (ahmallymal, tiffthewife, friedasees) and the few that are actually registered are private and/or have no posts (nateyourbarber and issadposts).

But GIRL! She really crossed the line when she went to Andrew's house, snuck up to Nathan's room, and started going through his stuff. Even after Molly flat out told her that she was being crazy, she STILL did it.

The other thing I like is that Molly and Issa are so good at giving clear minded advice to each other but they continue to screw up their own lives. I know that's normal because it's easier to see someone else's mistakes more clearly than we can see our own, so I like that they BOTH do that.

Chad losing his mind at church was hilarious.

I loved Issa and Lawrence having a post-relationship conversation about their lives and being supportive of each other. I really liked that Issa encouraged him to try a different church if the first one wasn't right for him. There are so many things in life - church, finding a good hairdresser, etc. - that just take a lot of trial and error. Sometimes you get lucky and you find one you like right away. Other times it can take a while. I always say it's like dating because you might have to try out a bunch before you find the right one for you.

2 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Molly seems awfully naive about office politics. I wouldn't pull that at a job I'd been at for five years, let alone five weeks or however long it's been.

I will say in Molly's defence over the whole Andrew thing that if she is keen on getting married and having kids at some point and if she is dead set on marrying a black man, given that she's already in her thirties, she shouldn't be wasting her time dating anyone she couldn't see herself marrying. Maybe it's for the best that she and Andrew didn't work out. 

"I don't know who the real Molly is, but are they all this fucked up?" Ouch.

Chad crying in church was hilarious, as was the pastor's attempt at being hip by talking about Twitter and Instagram ("What's happening...in your soul?").

To be fair, after hearing that, I think most people would be out.

1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

Issa. ISSA GIRL. I got ghosted after four years (on and off, but still) and showing up at his place is too far. I mean, Nanceford ghosting is shitty, and I can get scrolling through social media and reading the texts for clues she might have missed, but just dropping in? In your pajamas? Girl. I'm glad she deleted him (she needs to delete those texts too, they'll drive her crazy). Her friendship with Lawrence is nice.

(Don't ghost people unless you are afraid for your safety, y'all. Just tell them you're not feeling it.)

The guy who had fooled around with another man was like this too. The show does a good job of highlighting that the issues are with Molly. And damn, for a woman who's supposed to be a smart, astute lawyer who has logged, what, five years at a big firm, Molly appears to have no clue what she's doing in terms of office politics.

I think even better than Chad losing it was Lawrence's " ..." reaction to Chad losing it. I like that Lawrence is trying to find himself - he wants more from his life than "working and fucking" - and Issa is right, it can take ages to find the church that fits you.

I'm still not sure if Issa is aiming to make any money from this block party thing.

I remember someone wrote an article about being a full time Uber driver. They made 80k a year, which might be more than Issa can make at a nonprofit. However, he also said there were a lot of costs including wear and tear on his car and insurance.

Molly...girl, don’t make me stop rooting for you. First, you turn down a fine black man like Sterling for stupid fuckboy Dro and now you are assy with a cutie like Andrew for playing the grimy game that you started. Andrew was right “grime recognize grime”. I bet she ends up sleeping with that jerky lawyer.

Speaking of fuckboys, it really messes with your mind when you are ghosted but Issa took it too far. The dating game is hard. I’m happy that Issa is focusing on her business though her block party kind of sounds like bullshit...maybe Thug Yoda will show up.

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Chad up in church scoping out the women and calling them bad bitches, and then having the nerve to answer the altar call. He is a mess.

Molly, you (probably) in danger, girl. You're really digging yourself into an unnecessary hole at work.

Oh Issa. You didn't just cross the line, you dropped dynamite on it. Huge foul on violating Nathan's personal space like that.

Why was that church woman recruiting Lawrence so hard? Looking for a husband?

Issa, no. Bad rebound.

"There's mad bitches at church!"

*one sermon later*

"I'VE STRAYED. I'VE STRAYED SO FAR."

I listened to an interview with Alexander Hodge (Andrew) and he has an Australian accent. I thought there was something a little off about the accent he uses in the show, but I would not have guessed that.

I bet she ends up sleeping with that jerky lawyer.

I would not be surprised.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 7
11 minutes ago, politichick said:

Just when the season was getting really good it's about to end. Merde!

Did I miss something? Why the hell would Molly tell Andrew about Dro?

Completely understand Issa's obsession with being ghosted but cannot believe she went to Nathan's house in her pyjamas and went through his shit and that Molly went along with it. 

Speaking of Molly, she may need to start her own one-woman firm because girl does not know how to play well with others.

She told him (and "the Black one") when she was high on molly. She was the emotional over-sharing kind of high. No names and I don't think any details beyond "I haven't had sex since I slept with my married friend."

Molly should have had that "if he can't handle you because you opened up, you don't want him" talk with Issa BEFORE they went to Andrew's house.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, healthnut said:

Isn't Issa living rent free by acting as maintenance for her apartment complex? I know that old car has to be paid for by now so how many bills does she have that can't be covered if she is at least working 20 hours per week with Lyft?  I'm not saying she is living well, but it may be sufficient for now.  She needs to find something that she is passionate about.  

Instead of all the undercover recon, why not just ask Andrew what's up with Nathan?  He certainly seems to be the type to just tell it how he sees it.  Molly could have played the "asking for a friend" card. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, laprin said:

Isn't Issa living rent free by acting as maintenance for her apartment complex? I know that old car has to be paid for by now so how many bills does she have that can't be covered if she is at least working 20 hours per week with Lyft?  I'm not saying she is living well, but it may be sufficient for now.  She needs to find something that she is passionate about.  

Instead of all the undercover recon, why not just ask Andrew what's up with Nathan?  He certainly seems to be the type to just tell it how he sees it.  Molly could have played the "asking for a friend" card. 

Issa's rent is half of what it would be (she pays $750); she's only a part-time property manager. Remember, she was working full-time at We Got Y'all when she got the job and she didn't quit because she got it - her initial plan was to do both. I can't tell if the property manager job pays in addition to that or if that's the total compensation. But yeah, if she works part-time as a property manager and drives part-time for Lyft AND her rent is cheap, she's probably at least getting by. (I really hope she's repairing her credit.)

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Empress1 said:

On the real, I can't stand Molly for this. She said last week that she wasn't interested in Andrew, so she was looking for a reason to bounce. Because God forbid she actually have a good time with a single, interested man. 

I have to accept the fact that Molly doesn't want to win. She doesn't want to win at work or in love because there is no excuse for this stupidity. She's unhappy when things are a mess. But when she gets what she wants? Nah, she can't handle it. She's too used to dysfunction. 

I like Issa and Lawrence's easygoing friendship. They seem to be on the road to reconciliation, though I'm not sure how I feel about that yet. Issa needs to get herself all the way together first. At least she's taking steps, so it's a start. 

Sigh, anyone who ghosts needs to have a fiery case of diarrhea. It's such cowardly, trash behavior. Especially since Nanceford was the one who brought up "how do you know when it's real"? Ugh. Loser. 

Edited by Sheenieb
  • Love 17

I seriously watched the scene at Andrew’s house as if it were a horror movie - curled up in the couch, peeking through a blanket, and whispering, “No. Nope. Oh, ISSA, NO.”  

Given that he wasn’t on this episode, Nanceford showing up on the Wine Down was weird but obviously fine since he is...fine. :) But stop being a turd, Nanceford - don’t make our girl doubt herself!!

Teeth dreams are THE WORST, and it’s always such a relief to wake up from them and confirm that you do indeed have all of your teeth.

• Love 13

I swear I held my breath the entire time Issa was going through Nathan's things! In her pyjamas no less! I was sure he'd come out of the shower or something and walk in on her going through his drawers/ trying to sign in to his laptop! 

The friendship between Lawrence and Issa is nice to see but I still say she has way too much pizzazz for him as a romantic partner.

I'm finding Molly even more frustrating than ever to watch. She is starting to remind me of a few people I've known who were always talking a big game about how ambitious and capable they were and all the lofty goals they had for their professional and personal lives but ultimately it was just talk. When the chips were down they didn't want to do the necessary work and curb their self-sabotaging tendencies. 

She doesn't seem to want to take responsibility for her part in things: how the whole Dro situation even happened, that she told Jason about it, the enemies she's making at her new job etc. 

Jason seems like a good guy she was way too rude to him and it wasn't ok to just bail on him at the restaurant like that. He thought she had a sense of humor about the Dro stuff he joked about and frankly she needs to know that any prospective romantic partner is likely to pay attention to something like that about her. After all she was totally ok with dropping the guy who told her he had same sex experiences and was just fine with judging him for that. 

• Love 8
38 minutes ago, DiabLOL said:

I swear I held my breath the entire time Issa was going through Nathan's things! In her pyjamas no less! I was sure he'd come out of the shower or something and walk in on her going through his drawers/ trying to sign in to his laptop! 

The friendship between Lawrence and Issa is nice to see but I still say she has way too much pizzazz for him as a romantic partner.

I'm finding Molly even more frustrating than ever to watch. She is starting to remind me of a few people I've known who were always talking a big game about how ambitious and capable they were and all the lofty goals they had for their professional and personal lives but ultimately it was just talk. When the chips were down they didn't want to do the necessary work and curb their self-sabotaging tendencies. 

She doesn't seem to want to take responsibility for her part in things: how the whole Dro situation even happened, that she told Jason about it, the enemies she's making at her new job etc. 

Jason seems like a good guy she was way too rude to him and it wasn't ok to just bail on him at the restaurant like that. He thought she had a sense of humor about the Dro stuff he joked about and frankly she needs to know that any prospective romantic partner is likely to pay attention to something like that about her. After all she was totally ok with dropping the guy who told her he had same sex experiences and was just fine with judging him for that. 

Molly always seems to have incredibly high standards for guys she dates. At first, it was because she was supposedly comparing it to her parent's perfect marriage. Then when she found out there is no such thing as perfect, she wastes her precious time with someone who is already taken. I am beginning to think she is actually a huge commitmentphobe and should just accept no one will ever be good enough because she can not let her walls down enough to be vulnerable. 

• Love 3

Church Girl Deniese is so going to turn out to be the preacher's daughter, isn't she?

Sometimes this show comes across as a giant Bechdel Test failure. I wish this season focused more on the fractures in the girls' friendship, Molly's issues at work, or continued to mine Issa's status as the black girl at We Got Y'all, etc., instead of having Issa bounce from man to man.

• Love 5
On 9/24/2018 at 5:52 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It seems very real, and imperfect, like human characters would be.

23 hours ago, laprin said:

Isn't Issa living rent free by acting as maintenance for her apartment complex? 

I just can't get past the fact that IRL, she would be kept busy practically 24x7 by having to deal with all the tenants' petty sh*t, like "My light bulb is burnt out", and she would not have time for her any-time-of-day escapades.

23 hours ago, laprin said:

Instead of all the undercover recon, why not just ask Andrew what's up with Nathan?  He certainly seems to be the type to just tell it how he sees it.  Molly could have played the "asking for a friend" card. 

Absolutely.  I kept wondering that the whole time, especially when Andrew asked Molly point blank what the visit was really about.  Even have Issa ask him herself...at this point, she basically doesn't have anything to lose, and she'd probably get way more from that than from sneaking around in Nathan's room, looking for who-knows-what. 

21 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

I like Issa and Lawrence's easygoing friendship. They seem to be on the road to reconciliation, though I'm not sure how I feel about that yet. Issa needs to get herself all the way together first. At least she's taking steps, so it's a start. 

It was a little confusing for me, when Issa said that she thought she was over Lawrence because of Nathan.  Was that just her Nathan infatuation speaking, and once Nathan was out of the picture, she realized that she really wasn't over Lawrence?  Or was it that once Nathan was out of the picture, she missed the presence of someone even though she was still hung up on Nathan, and decided that Lawrence would be better than a ghosted Nathan?  Or is it genuinely just friendship with Lawrence?  I know that as TV viewers, we're supposed to be rooting for them together (I think), but in IRL, I'm not sure that if I were Lawrence, I could ever get past the fact that she slept with Daniel.

• Love 2

Oh my God, I was watching Issa messing around in Nathans room with my eyes behind my hands! That was next level bad choices! 

I continue to question Issa deciding to randomly run a block party outside of work. Shouldn't she be looking for a new job? Or working harder at her current job? Issa needs to stop obsessing over loser Nathan and get back to finding her path when it comes to work. 

Speaking of, Issa going over and over what she could have "done wrong" with Nathan was so relatable. Being ghosted just sucks, it leaves you with so many unanswered questions about what you did wrong, or where you stand. Her refreshing his Instagram and freaking out about why he was doing stuff but not talking to her was super awkwardly funny, but I also felt really bad for her. Poor Issa, she thought she actually had something.

Molly might say how ambitious she is, but she kind of sucks at it. Her attempts at making power plays are really clumsy, she isnt making any allies at work, and her standards for herself and everyone else are so high, that she is quick to get angry for small reasons. We have seen her ditch quite a few decent guys and left her job she was comfortable at all in the name of "doing better for herself" without really seeming to know what that is. 

• Love 5
On 9/24/2018 at 2:04 PM, Sheenieb said:

On the real, I can't stand Molly for this. She said last week that she wasn't interested in Andrew, so she was looking for a reason to bounce. Because God forbid she actually have a good time with a single, interested man. 

I have to accept the fact that Molly doesn't want to win. She doesn't want to win at work or in love because there is no excuse for this stupidity. She's unhappy when things are a mess. But when she gets what she wants? Nah, she can't handle it. She's too used to dysfunction. 

Sigh, anyone who ghosts needs to have a fiery case of diarrhea. It's such cowardly, trash behavior. Especially since Nanceford was the one who brought up "how do you know when it's real"? Ugh. Loser. 

Tell those truths.   If she were a real person, this would be the point at which we'd have to cloak her in friendship and haagen dazs, lock the door and take her from cradle to grave with some hard but loving facts.  It was uncomfortable (but funny) watching Issa, but Molly?  Girl, Molly?  When she got it into her head to solo that presentation I was like oooh baby what is you doin?  I know she wants to be a star-uh but power moves without power are a legitimate problem and dammit man, she's too smart not to see it.   This was gone be the year ya'll was on some #knowbetterdobetter #shouldershimmy #bumpbamboom.   How you gone be on a partnership track and don't wanna partner?  At the cost of her budding friendship and alliance with the other professional black women in the office, SHE sought Taurean out, not the other way around.   She's been there what, a month?  Observe, sit back, learn, stfu, play your position then do your thing.   Before you say it, I know he overtalked her ideas, ran roughshot at the meetings and took credit for all her work, I get it, it's the most Elvis Presley method of corporate job security ever, BUT, time and a place.    I'm sitting here pissed at a fictional character lol! 

In the book I'm currently reading, the main character's husband comes up with hypothetical punishments (for telemarketers, I think).  One of them is "the hot screaming shits."   Thank you for bringing back to one of my favorite passages :) 

On 9/24/2018 at 2:34 PM, RoadFullOfPromise said:

I seriously watched the scene at Andrew’s house as if it were a horror movie - curled up in the couch, peeking through a blanket, and whispering, “No. Nope. Oh, ISSA, NO.”  

Given that he wasn’t on this episode, Nanceford showing up on the Wine Down was weird but obviously fine since he is...fine. :) But stop being a turd, Nanceford - don’t make our girl doubt herself!!

Teeth dreams are THE WORST, and it’s always such a relief to wake up from them and confirm that you do indeed have all of your teeth.

Lol!!!!  Aww no, have you had these??  I'm sorry if so, but tell me you didn't wake up, confirm your bicuspids then have Raisinettes for breakfast.   This girl. 

22 hours ago, DiabLOL said:

We were nailbiting together.  I was almost hoping for it.  At least then she could finally get some sleep.

And this.  I watched him give out unlimited backshots on microsuede and I was like

giphy.gif

#thisiswhywecanthavenicethings but even with all that, you're not THE GUY.  I mean they're comfortable and they know each other which I guess makes a good friend but I think the reason she's soooooobeat about Nathan is as quirky as it sounds, because they don't really know each other, he believes in her.  Or hell he makes it sound like he does.  Hear him tell it, a bish is Dorothy, she's always had the power.   Pity he's acting so damn light skinned.   

And by Jason....do we mean Andrew? ;)  I'm just playing.   What I can't figure out is why she agreed to meet him at all.   She wasted a perfectly fine piece of man on some bullshit and some I'm just gonna wind up marrying a black man anyway.   a) all that did was make Andrew less likely to go out on a limb again, if Molly was his limb.   b) ain't no way she's gone marry a black man, chile please, these hoes ain't loyal and dicks don't come standard with reciprocity that's a factory install.    I was re-pissed - this guy really got her, warts and all and was still obviously attracted to her.   This has happened be.....awwww shit!  Ya'll remember first Asian-bae? the fine ass teacher at Issa's fundraising thing that she dubbed because he was "corny."    I can't.  Why doesn't she know her 30s and this guut-man-savannah shortage are waiting around the corner like: 

giphy.gif

I love that he didn't let her get away with one minute of her bullshit.   In real life I feel like he'dve yanked Issa down off the stairs or at the very least followed Molly while she went to get her.

2 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I just can't get past the fact that IRL, she would be kept busy practically 24x7 by having to deal with all the tenants' petty sh*t, like "My light bulb is burnt out", and she would not have time for her any-time-of-day escapades.

Absolutely.  I kept wondering that the whole time, especially when Andrew asked Molly point blank what the visit was really about.  Even have Issa ask him herself...at this point, she basically doesn't have anything to lose, and she'd probably get way more from that than from sneaking around in Nathan's room, looking for who-knows-what. 

It was a little confusing for me, when Issa said that she thought she was over Lawrence because of Nathan.  Was that just her Nathan infatuation speaking, and once Nathan was out of the picture, she realized that she really wasn't over Lawrence?  Or was it that once Nathan was out of the picture, she missed the presence of someone even though she was still hung up on Nathan, and decided that Lawrence would be better than a ghosted Nathan?  Or is it genuinely just friendship with Lawrence?  I know that as TV viewers, we're supposed to be rooting for them together (I think), but in IRL, I'm not sure that if I were Lawrence, I could ever get past the fact that she slept with Daniel.

Why This Show is The Shit, by ZaldamoWilder.

Do you talk to your tv?  Pretend with me for a second.   Did the moment when she leaves the plumber to go stalk in her house shoes make you ask your teevee wtf?

The scene where Molly has just pulled her out of Nathan's room and is trying to find out what the hell this is really about.   

Sidebar:  Molly:  Was the dick that bomb? 

Issa:  Nah, it ain't that... 

Thought bubble:  Yesss.     Funniest shit on television.

Molly:  then what is it girl

Issa:  he made me feel like I wasn't worthless.  I don't know if I'll ever feel like that about anybody again or if anybody will ever feel that way about me.    <--- Friends?  This part?

tenor.gif?itemid=3550872

Like she was just minding her business and along came "how do you know when it's real-dude"  C'mon Son!   Nathan youse a low down dirty ass travelling haircut giving motherfucka.  It takes a lot for me to think less of a man than I do of Alejandro.   Congrats, y'ain't shit drifter.   Your mom does look good for 50 tho, that's real.   

{{whines}} you guyyyyys!??  please stop saying this out loud.  Don't wish Issa and Lawrence back together cuz then like, it'll happen.   And it'll be all your fault.   Think it over do you really want to be responsible for that? 

tenor.gif?itemid=8880027

Slapahoe64?  Whyyyyyyy????? Lmao!!! 

Raise your hand if you thought Chad getting saved was about rounding up more bitches.

There was a moment in the coffee shop between Issa and Lawrence that got too real for me to look at.    When she tells him she was couch surfing for a while and he says yeah I know how that can be and (gawd I don't know why I kept looking at the screen! yawl!! aaaahhhh!) and she says yeah but at some point you just gotta get off your ass and get your shit together......

giphy.gif

I wanted to throw a blanket over Lawrence's head out of second hand embarrassment.    Even if she didn't mean for it to sound like this, I heard:   I might still not be shit, but I ain't never finna be the ain't shit kinda shit you was.  

Bottom line as much as it makes me angry, I love the hell outta this show.  Monday morning in the Marco Polos me and my girls just look at each other like tenor.gif

cause old af and all, I know exactly which one of em to call to make an interlocked finger stepstool while I peek in the window.

• Love 13
4 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Oh my God, I was watching Issa messing around in Nathans room with my eyes behind my hands! That was next level bad choices! 

I continue to question Issa deciding to randomly run a block party outside of work. Shouldn't she be looking for a new job? Or working harder at her current job? Issa needs to stop obsessing over loser Nathan and get back to finding her path when it comes to work. 

Speaking of, Issa going over and over what she could have "done wrong" with Nathan was so relatable. Being ghosted just sucks, it leaves you with so many unanswered questions about what you did wrong, or where you stand. Her refreshing his Instagram and freaking out about why he was doing stuff but not talking to her was super awkwardly funny, but I also felt really bad for her. Poor Issa, she thought she actually had something.

Molly might say how ambitious she is, but she kind of sucks at it. Her attempts at making power plays are really clumsy, she isnt making any allies at work, and her standards for herself and everyone else are so high, that she is quick to get angry for small reasons. We have seen her ditch quite a few decent guys and left her job she was comfortable at all in the name of "doing better for herself" without really seeming to know what that is. 

This was so true to human nature. When someone has been ghosted it really messes with their head and self-esteem. All Issa knows is that this guy seemed to be falling for her hard and then he disappeared. She is going through her head about "what did she do wrong" when in truth she did nothing wrong by being herself. However, I see that most women who have gone through this situation always waste precious moments of their lives blaming themselves. They usually think they slept with the guy too soon or revealed too much about themselves too quickly. In other words, did not keep up the feminine mystique bullshit that we are told keeps men interested in us. Running to Lawrence was totally a backslide but realistic. Issa does not want to be alone and dating in LA is hard. Also, this Lawrence is successful and not the bum who slept on her couch rent-free for two years. This is not the guy who she had to beg to get a job at Best Buy because he thought he was too good for such things. It sucks but ghosting does get you shook. From what I understand the whole purpose is so the guy can keep his options open but still keep you on the line. When he finally calls back after months girlfriend will be so grateful that she will take any of his lame ass excuses until he does the same thing again.

Molly is a fantastic friend and a horrible girlfriend. She gives Issa a lot of support but does not enable her behavior. I loved the fact that living with Molly was not an option because they both knew being roommates was not good for their friendship.

6 minutes ago, ZaldamoWilder said:

Tell those truths.   If she were a real person, this would be the point at which we'd have to cloak her in friendship and haagen dazs, lock the door and take her from cradle to grave with some hard but loving facts.  It was uncomfortable (but funny) watching Issa, but Molly?  Girl, Molly?  When she got it into her head to solo that presentation I was like oooh baby what is you doin?  I know she wants to be a star-uh but power moves without power are a legitimate problem and dammit man, she's too smart not to see it.   This was gone be the year ya'll was on some #knowbetterdobetter #shouldershimmy #bumpbamboom.   How you gone be on a partnership track and don't wanna partner?  At the cost of her budding friendship and alliance with the other professional black women in the office, SHE sought Taurean out, not the other way around.   She's been there what, a month?  Observe, sit back, learn, stfu, play your position then do your thing.   Before you say it, I know he overtalked her ideas, ran roughshot at the meetings and took credit for all her work, I get it, it's the most Elvis Presley method of corporate job security ever, BUT, time and a place.    I'm sitting here pissed at a fictional character lol! 

In the book I'm currently reading, the main character's husband comes up with hypothetical punishments (for telemarketers, I think).  One of them is "the hot screaming shits."   Thank you for bringing back to one of my favorite passages :) 

Lol!!!!  Aww no, have you had these??  I'm sorry if so, but tell me you didn't wake up, confirm your bicuspids then have Raisinettes for breakfast.   This girl. 

We were nailbiting together.  I was almost hoping for it.  At least then she could finally get some sleep.

And this.  I watched him give out unlimited backshots on microsuede and I was like

giphy.gif

#thisiswhywecanthavenicethings but even with all that, you're not THE GUY.  I mean they're comfortable and they know each other which I guess makes a good friend but I think the reason she's soooooobeat about Nathan is as quirky as it sounds, because they don't really know each other, he believes in her.  Or hell he makes it sound like he does.  Hear him tell it, a bish is Dorothy, she's always had the power.   Pity he's acting so damn light skinned.   

And by Jason....do we mean Andrew? ;)  I'm just playing.   What I can't figure out is why she agreed to meet him at all.   She wasted a perfectly fine piece of man on some bullshit and some I'm just gonna wind up marrying a black man anyway.   a) all that did was make Andrew less likely to go out on a limb again, if Molly was his limb.   b) ain't no way she's gone marry a black man, chile please, these hoes ain't loyal and dicks don't come standard with reciprocity that's a factory install.    I was re-pissed - this guy really got her, warts and all and was still obviously attracted to her.   This has happened be.....awwww shit!  Ya'll remember first Asian-bae? the fine ass teacher at Issa's fundraising thing that she dubbed because he was "corny."    I can't.  Why doesn't she know her 30s and this guut-man-savannah shortage are waiting around the corner like: 

giphy.gif

I love that he didn't let her get away with one minute of her bullshit.   In real life I feel like he'dve yanked Issa down off the stairs or at the very least followed Molly while she went to get her.

Why This Show is The Shit, by ZaldamoWilder.

Do you talk to your tv?  Pretend with me for a second.   Did the moment when she leaves the plumber to go stalk in her house shoes make you ask your teevee wtf?

The scene where Molly has just pulled her out of Nathan's room and is trying to find out what the hell this is really about.   

Molly:  then what is it girl

Issa:  he made me feel like I wasn't worthless.  I don't know if I'll ever feel like that about anybody again or if anybody will ever feel that way about me.    <--- Friends?  This part?

tenor.gif?itemid=3550872

Like she was just minding her business and along came "how do you know when it's real-dude"  C'mon Son!   Nathan youse a low down dirty ass travelling haircut giving motherfucka.  It takes a lot for me to think less of a man than I do of Alejandro.   Congrats, y'ain't shit drifter.   Your mom does look good for 50 tho, that's real.   

{{whines}} you guyyyyys!??  please stop saying this out loud.  Don't wish Issa and Lawrence back together cuz then like, it'll happen.   And it'll be all your fault.   Think it over do you really want to be responsible for that? 

tenor.gif?itemid=8880027

Slapahoe64?  Whyyyyyyy????? Lmao!!! 

Raise your hand if you thought Chad getting saved was about rounding up more bitches.

There was a moment in the coffee shop between Issa and Lawrence that got too real for me to look at.    When she tells him she was couch surfing for a while and he says yeah I know how that can be and (gawd I don't know why I kept looking at the screen! yawl!! aaaahhhh!) and she says yeah but at some point you just gotta get off your ass and get your shit together......

giphy.gif

I wanted to throw a blanket over Lawrence's head out of second hand embarrassment.    Even if she didn't mean for it to sound like this, I heard:   I might still not be shit, but I ain't never finna be the ain't shit kinda shit you was.  

Bottom line as much as it makes me angry, I love the hell outta this show.  Monday morning in the Marco Polos me and my girls just look at each other like tenor.gif

cause old af and all, I know exactly which one of em to call to make an interlocked finger stepstool while I peek in the window.

Z, your posts give me life...I am feelin the spirit!

• Love 8

I again sometimes feel that the core of the show is that Molly and Issa are each other soul mates, though of course, it is a platonic and not romantic way. I love this positive potrayal of African American friendships. In one of my other favorite shows "Girlfriends" they had Joan do nothing but give and someone like Lynn do nothing but take, over and over again. It was a comedy and not supposed to be all that serious but it was so stupid to think they would be close friends with this type of dyanamic.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

When she said she thought she was over Lawrence, she said it with a hint of a question like she almost couldn't believe it was true.  It could be her infatuation for Nathan (there is some truth in that getting under someone new is a way to get over someone else).

But I'm not sure I get the sense that she's thinking about Lawrence in that way. I still think she's obsessed with being ghosted.  And I think they're just continuing their reconnection as friends.  He sent her info about the workshop which looks to be taking place at his place of work.  So she invited him for coffee. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, ZaldamoWilder said:

Pity he's acting so damn light skinned.   

LMAO! When they got the light skin and the light eyes, you gotta watch out.  They just don't know how to act right!  :-D

And by Jason....do we mean Andrew? ;)  I'm just playing.   What I can't figure out is why she agreed to meet him at all.   She wasted a perfectly fine piece of man on some bullshit and some I'm just gonna wind up marrying a black man anyway.   a) all that did was make Andrew less likely to go out on a limb again, if Molly was his limb.   b) ain't no way she's gone marry a black man, chile please, these hoes ain't loyal and dicks don't come standard with reciprocity that's a factory install.    I was re-pissed - this guy really got her, warts and all and was still obviously attracted to her.   This has happened be.....awwww shit!  Ya'll remember first Asian-bae? the fine ass teacher at Issa's fundraising thing that she dubbed because he was "corny." 

Andrew and the teacher were both hot and nice!  (I'm biased.  I love a tall, handsome asian man - my friend said I was in heaven during Crazy Rich Asians.) . But Molly will always find something wrong with a nice guy.  Andrew was great with her because he did call her on her shit AND saw her at her worst, and he still wanted to take a chance on her.  She's not gonna find many like that, black or not.  

So great.  I was dead because that shit's real.  We know we all make bad, bad decisions when the dick is bomb.  

• Love 10

I think if Molly and Tiffany were best friends she'd be married or engaged. Friends like Issa encourage your career aspirations while your married friends always seem to have a dude for you to meet. What I wonder though is whether Tiffany would encourage a marriage for marriage's sake or really help Molly to find her "One".

• Love 2
On 9/30/2018 at 2:20 PM, Drumpf1737 said:

I think if Molly and Tiffany were best friends she'd be married or engaged. Friends like Issa encourage your career aspirations while your married friends always seem to have a dude for you to meet. What I wonder though is whether Tiffany would encourage a marriage for marriage's sake or really help Molly to find her "One".

Well now this is an interesting premise.   Hmm.  I think I'd throw shade at Tiffany if she were this friend, for no other reason than the impression that her marriage isn't at all what it looks like on paper.  I'm waiting for us to find out who her real baby's father is lol!!  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ZaldamoWilder said:

Well now this is an interesting premise.   Hmm.  I think I'd throw shade at Tiffany if she were this friend, for no other reason than the impression that her marriage isn't at all what it looks like on paper.  I'm waiting for us to find out who her real baby's father is lol!!  

This article came out a few days ago: https://www.bustle.com/p/tiffany-dereks-relationship-on-insecure-changes-the-narrative-for-black-couples-on-screen-according-to-amanda-seales-12058818

• Love 1
4 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

Uh huh.  Except you see, the thing is, Amanda, Tiff told Derek she was gonna watch the Due North finale with her girlfriends then called het girls and said she couldn’t make it.  And she never accounted for the mystery.  So, these picture perfect relationships, they made up of sneakiness and lies or nah?  

• Love 5

I am also wondering how Issa furnished her apartment so nicely.

As a black person who has dealt with major depression for years, I am not opposed to them exploring that topic with Nanceford. I am pretty interested to see what they do with Molly and Andrew next season too.

• Love 5
On 10/1/2018 at 5:36 PM, luckyroll3 said:

Lord, Tiffany, and Derek are cute together. I don't want to put colorism where there really is none, but my friend gets annoyed that the lightest skin girl with the Beyonce hair color is the only one in a stable relationship. Derek is a keeper and seems like a total catch even though Tiffany can be a little extra.

• Love 1
On 9/30/2018 at 1:20 PM, Drumpf1737 said:

I don't know about this. I think Tiffany likes being the only one with the husband and the baby so she can lord it over them. She always needs a "how I'm better than you." Mind you I don't think this is actively malicious. They all seem to know and accept this about Tiffany.

• Love 2