Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Speculation

• Start Topic

.Having trouble killing an annoying Alexandrian? Call 1888WNST. 1888WeNeverStopTalking. By the time we're done talking, they'll want to kill themselves. #TheSoliloquySaviors.

If Negan's the leader, though, it makes sense that his underlings would try to emulate his speechifying and swaggering.

TWD Zone is now saying Rosita is alive and in the line-up, along with Sasha.

If Rosita and Sasha are both in the line-up, I am leaning even harder towards Abraham as Negan's victim.

TWD Zone is now saying Rosita is alive and in the line-up, along with Sasha.

Thanks for the update! That means there are 11 people in the line-up. Or the spoiler about Eugene taking the RV to distract the saviors could mean he's out on his own, taking it down to 10 again. That's a lot of people.

• Love 2

Can anybody tell me why I'm putting myself through this gut wrenching and clenching experience over a show? I should be excited for this, like, yay! Whoopee! Big goings on! But no, I've got knots in my stomach thinking about all of this and its making me distinctly uncomfortable. Where's the fun in that???

Exactly. I have never had this reaction to a television show before. I mean, good for them, I guess for having this vice grip on my heart. I had an equally intense but opposite reaction when Richonne finally happened. I barely remembered my week because I was so excited. Nothing was bothering me, I was super happy all the time. This is my punishment.

• Love 1

Did anyone else notice when Negan is talking, he hums something that to me sounded like when his minion hummed and said "hell bells" when confronting Abraham, Sasha and Daryl. That minion's speech reminded me of Negan -- the whole "I own everything" stuff. I think the minions do like to imitate him.

Exactly. I have never had this reaction to a television show before. I mean, good for them, I guess for having this vice grip on my heart. I had an equally intense but opposite reaction when Richonne finally happened. I barely remembered my week because I was so excited. Nothing was bothering me, I was super happy all the time. This is my punishment.

Seriously this is what we get for being so damn happy about Richonne, damn you show, can't we have nice things!!!

• Love 3

I've seen both Norman and Lauren Cohan on Law & Order SVU. Though Lauren's role was bigger than Norman's, they both had some really meaty material. It was all shot in seven days. No standing around. (I'm not addressing their skill, or not, as actors. Just time in front of the camera, doing something other than react to Walkers, or bad guys, or Crazy Rick.)

But this show instantly raises your profile 100x more, which is priceless, really.

Seriously this is what we get for being so damn happy about Richonne, damn you show, can't we have nice things!!!

No!

Well, it is starting to appear that we will not get confirmation about the cliffhanger ending or about the identity of the victim before Sunday night. Boo! In that case, I definitely will not watch the episode live. In the meantime, I keep trying to rationalize that the lack of information means something other than a lack of information.

If they do indeed go with the cliffhanger ending, then the discussion here and everywhere else online will not change. We will spend another 6 months wondering "who." Not really sure why Gimple/Kirkman/AMC think that they will be able to keep that tid bit of information quiet. Once Atlanta production starts up, media will be everywhere trying to make sense out of who is dead and who is not. Maintaining secrecy about the identity of the victim seems close to impossible.

• Love 2
Well, it is starting to appear that we will not get confirmation about the cliffhanger ending or about the identity of the victim before Sunday night.

Yeah, that's because the show doesn't WANT to reveal that until live-air time. That's what the showrunners want.

Not really sure why Gimple/Kirkman/AMC think that they will be able to keep that tid bit of information quiet.

Because all showrunners want the element of surprise AND suspense. It keeps the viewers guessing and hooked and willing to watch live: aka ratings. They try as hard as they can, however they are not always successful. There are creative ways to mislead the audience though....

Yeah, that's because the show doesn't WANT to reveal that until live-air time. That's what the showrunners want.

Because all showrunners want the element of surprise AND suspense. It keeps the viewers guessing and hooked and willing to watch live: aka ratings. They try as hard as they can, however they are not always successful. There are creative ways to mislead the audience though....

Thanks. I understand what showrunners want but they don't always get what they want, do they? They apparently didn't want the reports of a cliffhanger to get out it but it did (whether its true or not). Its obvious that TWD showrunners - or any showrunners for that matter - don't entirely control the dissemination of information. We've seen leaks repeatedly for a variety of shows.

And as far as the element of surprise/suspense about the identity of Negan's victim, why not attempt to do it for the season finale only? Why drag it out for six months when, IMO, it can serve to lessen the suspense rather than enhance it? I would much prefer to spend the summer discussing things like "what will Rick's response be", "how will our gang get along without (blank)", "what will Negan do next,", etc. Debating who was killed is going to lose steam at some point during the summer.

Of course, those are just my opinions and we can agree to disagree. Right?

• Love 4

Can anybody tell me why I'm putting myself through this gut wrenching and clenching experience over a show? I should be excited for this, like, yay! Whoopee! Big goings on! But no, I've got knots in my stomach thinking about all of this and its making me distinctly uncomfortable. Where's the fun in that???

I feel the exact same way.  

I feel so sick about this upcoming episode, I think I will read the after show spoilers, in order to learn what happens, before I watch. That means, if I have to watch the immediate re-run, I will, rather than having to endure the sick anticipation of what is to come.  If it's Glenn, I may not watch at all.

• Love 2
Thanks. I understand what showrunners want but they don't always get what they want, do they?

Oh you are totally right. They HOPE that they can keep it under wraps - doesn't mean they CAN. Internet, forums like this, too many mouths blurting out what's going on. Sucks, but life.

Of course, those are just my opinions and we can agree to disagree. Right?

Absolutely not. No, my opinion is the right one......*KIDDING!!!* ;')

I actually agree with you. Fact is, if they really didn't want to reveal Negan, then don't even make the casting announcement. Mentioning Negan does not mean he will appear in Season 6. No on-set (or otherwise) interviews, no mentions, nothing. Then they can keep it quiet.

Can anybody tell me why I'm putting myself through this gut wrenching and clenching experience over a show?

Because you are a glutton for punishment, just like the rest of us. *tapscouch* Sit by the rest of us, have a stiff drink ready and just enjoy the intense, gut wrenching, heart-crushing ride.

• Love 4

Thanks. I understand what showrunners want but they don't always get what they want, do they? They apparently didn't want the reports of a cliffhanger to get out it but it did (whether its true or not). Its obvious that TWD showrunners - or any showrunners for that matter - don't entirely control the dissemination of information. We've seen leaks repeatedly for a variety of shows.

And as far as the element of surprise/suspense about the identity of Negan's victim, why not attempt to do it for the season finale only? Why drag it out for six months when, IMO, it can serve to lessen the suspense rather than enhance it? I would much prefer to spend the summer discussing things like "what will Rick's response be", "how will our gang get along without (blank)", "what will Negan do next,", etc. Debating who was killed is going to lose steam at some point during the summer.

I agree.  A cliffhanger at this point is just cheap, they've had so many fake-outs and teases about one character or another's death that even if it would be considered well done in other circumstances, it's still just cheap.  When Dwight shot Daryl I just rolled my eyes.  How annoying and obnoxious and disrespectful toward the audience.  

• Love 8

I agree with you about this. For me, showing the audience who Negan's victim is impacts the story; keeping the victim a secret impacts the show.

I'd rather have my audience focus on the story, on the immediate grief. We go into the hiatus thinking about Rick and everyone who was forced to witness the murder. Yeah, I'd rather spend the summer thinking about the characters and what they did right after their friend's death, and how they're coping, etc. With a cliffhanger, the focus will most likely be on which actor doesn't show up to set in May.

And there's no guarantee the viewing audience will feel the same way about the death after a 6 - 7 month hiatus. The interruption will definitely dampen the impact for me. That does a disservice to the story and characters, imo. And the extra viewers the show may get for the s7 premiere may not stick around. 

• Love 11

For me, showing the audience who Negan's victim is impacts the story; keeping the victim a secret impacts the show.

This is an excellent observation and an important distinction. Well said.

• Love 7

...I'm really, suuuuper dumb, and I've just realized that the finale airs on my birthday. Uuugh, what a nice birthday gift.

Spoiler-wise, I can't bring myself to listen to the clip, just reading the description of crunching noises and "taking it like a champ" is enough to make me queasy. Ah, masochism, my long-time friend, it seems like we'll be spending my birthday together this year.

• Love 1

Maybe this scene is in-media-res, like we see him go after the person, then by end we find out who it is.  And we get 5 minutes of grieving. I really think they would be foolish to cliffhanger the death.

I don't see why actors agree to such roles as that on TWD (and there has been lots of them). You commit for a year or two (or more), but you largely just stand around and if you're lucky you get a handful of lines. Sure, it's something to put on your resume. Still, it's got to be unsatisfying. Yeah, you might get a "meaty" death scene like Noah. But, still . . .

Seems like a pretty good gig to me no matter what.  TWD may not be as high quality as it once was, but it's not like a lot of dreck. It gets 12 to 15 million eyeballs from Neilsen never mind how many people it stream it illegally.  It's a phenomenon and seems to me if you can find something interesting in the character..why not go for it?  

I'm most familiar with SPN for actors that continue to work and IMO Jensen Ackles could easily play any part he wanted. But he makes a lot of money, the network leaves them alone for the most part, so much so they make their own better promos. They work with the same people mostly for like 10 years and from what I hear about TWD they have similar long last production team, minus producer changes.

They jumped the shark with me on the Glenn fake out. Fuck it. That 11 minute speech sounds something from a bad Troma movie if they had the time for it, and the pomposity to use it. After listening to that, I wanted to bash my own head in. Or peg it. Or whatever.

The only way I will watch again is if I am guaranteed an ending with Rick and Michonne and their children and grandchildren living happily ever after. And maybe throwing in an awkward lady for Eugene.

• Love 10

I totally agree that if I were a young actor (or an over the hill actor) I'd die (pun unavoidable) for a role on this show. But, I guess my main point is the sheer frustration of sitting on the sidelines waiting for the one, or two, episodes that season in which I have 2-3 lines to say.

I've seen both Norman and Lauren Cohan on Law & Order SVU. Though Lauren's role was bigger than Norman's, they both had some really meaty material. It was all shot in seven days. No standing around. (I'm not addressing their skill, or not, as actors. Just time in front of the camera, doing something other than react to Walkers, or bad guys, or Crazy Rick.)

I'd say a lot of the people who stay around tend to have something of an opportunity to act, at least in a few episodes. Not all of them (Aaron has been sadly underused), but most. I think of someone like Sonequa Martin-Green, who has had a backburner role this season, outside of one or two episodes, and is a young, talented actress who could technically be a bigger name elsewhere, but then I remember that her other big role was in a story on Once Upon a Time that was so unpopular with fans it was seemingly cut short, along with her role. On TWD she gets a longer stay, a place that was willing to work with her pregnancy (unlike certain TV producers who fire actresses for being pregnant), and a set that is supposed to be wonderful and supportive, and then she does get the occasional showcase moments, even if they aren't all she deserves.

• Love 2

They jumped the shark with me on the Glenn fake out. Fuck it. That 11 minute speech sounds something from a bad Troma movie if they had the time for it, and the pomposity to use it. After listening to that, I wanted to bash my own head in. Or peg it. Or whatever.

The only way I will watch again is if I am guaranteed an ending with Rick and Michonne and their children and grandchildren living happily ever after. And maybe throwing in an awkward lady for Eugene.

Ok, I needed this for comic relief....now I can watch the season finale and not feel so much dread. Thanks MuShu, too funny !

• Love 1

Oh you are totally right. They HOPE that they can keep it under wraps - doesn't mean they CAN. Internet, forums like this, too many mouths blurting out what's going on. Sucks, but life.

For proof, look no further than "Game of Thrones."  They ended last season on a cliffhanger, and they tried like heck to guard the aftermath.  I'm talking national top secret type of security.  Didn't matter.  Some guy hiked for 18 hours through the desert and snapped pictures of the filming and the secret was spoiled.  The producers were pissed off, even called that guy an "asshole" in an interview.

Expect the same to happen here if they decide to make Negan's victim a cliffhanger.  

• Love 4

For proof, look no further than "Game of Thrones."  They ended last season on a cliffhanger, and they tried like heck to guard the aftermath.  I'm talking national top secret type of security.  Didn't matter.  Some guy hiked for 18 hours through the desert and snapped pictures of the filming and the secret was spoiled.  The producers were pissed off, even called that guy an "asshole" in an interview.

Expect the same to happen here if they decide to make Negan's victim a cliffhanger.  

It was an open secret even before then,

given that Kit Harington has said that he does not like wearing his hair long, and he was seen walking around in public with the Jon Snow hair he likely would have cut off if he were done with the show.

I didn't see any spoilers in here, but the article claims there might be, so just to be safe, here's a fun interview with Josh McDermitt, complete with Richonne, Negan, and Carl eyepatch jokes. It feels weird to say I'm increasingly attracted to Eugene...:

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/did-the-walking-deads-josh-mcdermitt-just-spoil-140111989.html

I know they have to do it but I have to admit I'm getting fatigued of all the Negan hype they're doing pre-finale, including a producer saying the Internet will break and people will need diapers, and so on. It's just a bit much. 

Thank you to the poster who said Rosita isn't killed in this episode. I know she is always a likely candidate for death but if she'd gone in this particular way I would have been really really pissed off. I'm glad that did not happen.

• Love 4
(edited)

If Rosita and Sasha are both in the line-up, I am leaning even harder towards Abraham as Negan's victim.

Right? That was my thought exactly.

I am very skeptical that Negan's victim is Daryl. If he were going to go, the writers would have contrived a way for Carol to be in that lineup. No way does Daryl

get his brains bashed out

without the person who loves him most in the world being there to witness it firsthand. The writers love giving MM meaty material; there is no way that they'd pass that up.

Edited by HalcyonDays
Spoilertagged
  • Love 2

That is the exact ending I want, Judith saying "mom" and Michonne turns around with Rick beside her holding his new son.

Is there any room in these dream endings for a bathed Daryl, maybe wearing a business suit?

• Love 8
(edited)

Is there any room in these dream endings for a bathed Daryl, maybe wearing a business suit?

Not loving the business suit on Daryl, but I'd love an "Uncle Daryl" moment when he lifts up one of the kids and promises to take her/him hunting in a few years.

I am very skeptical that Negan's victim is Daryl. If he were going to go, the writers would have contrived a way for Carol to be in that lineup. No way does

Daryl get his brains bashed out

without the person who loves him most in the world being there to witness it firsthand. The writers love giving MM meaty material; there is no way that they'd pass that up.

Very good point. I'd read somewhere else that Sasha and Rosita being in the line up certainly could spell trouble for Abe, but it hadn't crossed my mind at all that a lack of Carol in the line up means Daryl is safe. Now I wonder if this (possible) cliffhanger is also a way for the show to kill off someone like Abe and avoid major immediate backlash from fans who are really frothing at the mouth for the death of one of the original cast.

Edited by HalcyonDays
Spoilertagged
  • Love 1

Not loving the business suit on Daryl, but I'd love an "Uncle Daryl" moment when he lifts up one of the kids and promises to take her/him hunting in a few years.

So Daryl, in the future, will be out on the front porch, maybe wearing one of Carol's leftover cardigans, skinning a possum?

And when people call him Uncle Daryl, what they'll really be saying is "Crazy" Uncle Daryl?

• Love 3
(edited)

For those that think the writers wouldn't kill Daryl without Carol being there: there is a good possibility it was done that way for a reason ! I cannot imagine Carol kneeling quietly while Daryl's

brains were bashed in

- even if it meant she died too. She just could not do that. Daryl wasn't around when Carol was exiled either. Sometimes their journeys have to veer apart and it adds to their story. Imagine Carol's guilt and grief at knowing she was off having her crises when her best friend was captured and killed?!

Edited by HalcyonDays
Spoilertagged

For those that think the writers wouldn't kill Daryl without Carol being there: there is a good possibility it was done that way for a reason ! I cannot imagine Carol kneeling quietly while Daryl's brains were bashed in- even if it meant she died too. She just could not do that. Daryl wasn't around when Carol was exiled either. Sometimes their journeys have to veer apart and it adds to their story. Imagine Carol's guilt and grief at knowing she was off having her crises when her best friend was captured and killed?!

This is what I was just thinking, as well. Then we get to watch her punish herself for not being there, next season, which would leave me not wanting to tune in at all. 

I'm also still pissed over their fake-out with Glenn - I didn't want him dead, and hoped that he really was under the dumpster, but their waiting several weeks to let us know anything at all - ugh. Toying with people, by removing his name from the credits. 

• Love 5

This is exactly what the showrunners want, all of us in a frenzy about the show. Look at all the people from the show saying stuff like we will need diapers and tissues when we watch the show tomorrow night. They have been hyping Negan up so much. No matter what happens tomorrow, I won't be happy, I know it is childish but I don't want anyone to die.

• Love 4

As time passes, I become less and less convinced that Daryl is the victim. Why give us the "shock" ending in last week's episode if they are to kill him this week instead? I am guessing that Daryl is injured but not gravely wounded (because Dwight is largely ineffective). 

As far as Glenn's fate...would Maggie suffer a miscarriage and become a widow in the same sequence of events? That seems unbearable. To me, its one or the other.

So Abe remains a possibility but its likely to push poor Sasha over the edge. She had her crisis of faith last season. Would she be able to cope with another loss?

• Love 4

Daryl's shooting is to develope Dwight's future storyline. Daryl spared Dwight at their first meeting. It remains to be seen if Dwight deliberately shot Daryl with a non fatal wound last week, to subdue him. Even wounded, Daryl Dixon does NOT have it in him to sit by while anyone in his group is killed.

Daryl's shooting is to develope Dwight's future storyline. Daryl spared Dwight at their first meeting. It remains to be seen if Dwight deliberately shot Daryl with a non fatal wound last week, to subdue him. Even wounded, Daryl Dixon does NOT have it in him to sit by while anyone in his group is killed.

I keep hearing that Negan is unlikely to kill someone who is already wounded. That makes me think Dwight shot Daryl purposely to save him from Negan. That it was, in a strange way, Dwight's way of returning the favor and making sure Daryl's life was spared.
  • Love 3

I don't see the logic in that...and neither does Denise. (Ha.) Sure, many (including me) are assuming Dwight actually intended to shoot Daryl instead of Denise. If that's true and if he's not so good yet with a crossbow, he was taking one huge chance trying to just wound Daryl to return the favor or spare him. I do think it makes sense that Negan would pick someone healthy to have his message be the most effective when he kills that person.

I've watched that last scene many times...and I am no longer convinced anyone is dead. I think it might not even be Daryl or  Rosita who are shot. It's the camera angle and the blood angle that makes me question it. 

Dwight admitted he was not aiming for Denise. He had to shoot Daryl on the last episode to subdue him and it is also a writer's ploy to make the audience A( wonder if Daryl died from the gunshot, and B) have a false sense of security that Negan wouldn't pick Daryl from the lineup. I believe next season Dwight will feel conflicted about Negan killing Daryl since Daryl did initially help him and spare his life.

• Love 1

As a writer's ploy, they bothered to take that extra step to reassure the audience that whoever was shot would survive (if the audience is to believe Dwight). Really wouldn't care to see Dwight being conflicted about anything after he killed Denise. Suck it up, Dwight.

• Love 2

I mostly lurk here and I love seeing everyone's speculation on what's happening tomorrow night. Do we know for sure that the Negan bit comes in the last ten minutes of the show? I skipped ahead on the audio of the Soundcloud file from up thread and I heard the opening credits. There is a little "but" here. I think I heard the person who recorded/leaked the audio breathe when the opening credits came on so I'm not sure if it was spliced in to the dialogue to hide when Negan kills one of our people or we have the line up/killing and jump back 24 hours to see how we get there.  

I could be misremembering, but wasn't it said somewhere or another -- even before the audio clip leaked out -- that Negan would appear in the last 10 minutes of the episode?  That's what makes me think that the scene we have all now heard will take place at the end, even though the opening theme music starts playing.

In any case, in less than 24 hours from now, some folks will have already seen the finale, and will undoubtedly be hurling things at their TV screens or computers, cursing, vowing revenge on Gimple and company, stabbing voodoo dolls, and generally fuming after being left with another cliffhanger.  Even though I know it's coming and I don't think we will be surprised by a non-cliffhanger ending, I will likely be one of the people hurling things and cursing.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think if you polled 1000 TV writers 1000 of them would chose cliffhanger if they know they have another season. As a viewer I hate them but if I were a writer I think the momentum a cliffhanger builds for you heading into a new season - the expectation etc is a gift too valuable to voluntarily give up....

I can sleep easy knowing that some dedicated soul will find a way to spoil the cliffhanger sooner rather than later. I do not expect to have to wait until October to know which poor person that vile character has killed.

Edited by BellyLaughter

TWD starts filming in May so we will know who which character was killed then. It is never difficult to figure out which actor is working on other projects and is not filming on set in Georgia.

• Love 1