Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: Weak

• Start Topic

I weirdly kind of enjoy Morgan's three stooges.  Not enough of them.  Would it have been that hard for Al to lock the damn door of the SWAT van?  So much of what happened this episode could have been avoided if she'd just done that.

After so many seasons, I'm over mysterious new characters doing batshit stuff just to do batshit stuff.

• Love 16

It feels like the show is finally getting a group with chemistry. I am liking the reboot now.

@raven, so I am not the only one who thinks that Al might have been bitten, maybe she is just sick. 

Poor Quinn. He had potential. If only Naomi had kept him around. I am not thrilled that Tonya Pinkins' character is evil and crazy.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Primstone said:

Quinn would have made a good member of our team, but someone else thought he would be better for be other team

I call her witchy, she is filthy women, okeedokee

She is CRAZY lady. Killing peeps, poisoning water,and food, stealing,lying, devious. 

5 minutes ago, Primstone said:

Quinn would have made a good member of our team, but someone else thought he would be better for be other team

I think Al needs a  new she shi-er van

Instead of team June, he is team dead now, no thanks to filthy women. 

• Love 3
Just now, Cherokee Rose said:

Oh thanks. I didn't know that. Makes more sense now.

I think that Morgan's new nickname and the Voodoo's lady name (which we do not know yet) probably will have some conncection in future episodes.

• Love 4

I enjoyed this episode. I've been a fan of Tonya Pinkins for literal decades. I used to watch her on "All My Children" in the '90s. I'm excited to see what she'll do with this nutcase she's playing here.

The special effects were good tonight, too.

Colman Domingo did a good job of directing. The tension in the episode was nicely paced.

• Love 4

I found the fake mile marker weak. If quinn were coming up the highway he would see he was at mile marker 20 and know the next was not 27. He would have an odometer in the vehicle.    Not believable. 

Edited by june223
spelling
  • Love 10

What was so special about Al's backstory that needed all this buildup? 

When they were sitting in the road and Al's van drove by, why weren't the keys in the ignition? Al was just driving and they only momentarily stopped.

Why would June leave Al in the car with two doors open? 

Al was carrying the walkie talkie when she dragged herself out of the truck, so why would she throw it on the ground so far from the trunk?

It looked rather silly for the walker to crawl up Al instead of biting her in the leg, thigh or stomach. Additionally instead of pulling her knife before the walker got to her, she waits to wrestle with it before attempting to grab her weapon. 

I guess the show is just going to ignore the logistics of how the guy in the wheelchair gets in and out of the truck.

How did Morgan get his staff back? 

If they are headed to Virginia, why did Morgan say they were heading west on that highway? 

• Love 10
6 hours ago, june223 said:

I found the fake mile marker weak. If quinn were coming up the highway he would see he was at mile marker 20 and know the next was not 27. He would have an odometer in the vehicle.    Not believable. 

Same thing I thought. Even if marker 20 was obscured or missing, he would have been counting along the way. He should have known it wasn't right.

5 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

If they are headed to Virginia, why did Morgan say they were heading west on that highway?

I believe the staff had been tossed into the back of the semi trailer when they left him for walker food on top of the car in the previous episode.

The deal Morgan made with them to take them to Virginia was that they first had to go back to the part of Texas where he had left the others to see if he could find them and try one last time to convince them to come with him to Alexandria.

• Love 4

The problem for the back half of this season is that there’s no direction, as in, what do peaopl want? There’s a whole of aimlessness. Yes, the storm separated people. But you know what—that in of itself is so contrived, I also think can’t stand it. 

But then you have Morgan’s zen meltdown. Morgan—where the hell do you really want to be? You walked all the way to Texas from Virginia, but now you want to go back?? What the hell?? Couple that with: Before I go back, I need to find my friends? But are they really his friends? He’s only known them for a few days. And it seems like it’s when he’s around people that his zen problem occurs. So ma6be ditching the people would be a good idea.

It’s not just Morgan, but no one in this group really seems to have a plan. Maybe individually they do, but I don’t about a group plan. It seems as though before the storm came through, they were living separately. Okay, from a space stand-point, I can see that. But I think security becomes the most important issue. Everyone should stay together.

And where was everyone, and where is everyone? Texas, if that’s where they still are, is a big state. Yet there seems to only be one road. And at a point everyone seems to run into one another on THAT particular road.

So, next week, we’ll see John and Strand’s excellent adventure, then it’ll be the following week (maybe) when everyone gets together. 

But then, and to use a phrase from Modern Family: What’s the plan, Morgan? Will we watch more spinning wheels?

Oh, another thing, how come it seems as though Morgan is the “unspoken” leader? I’m sorry, but he seems so wish-washy to me. I mean the man can’t seem to make up his mind in which direction to walk.

Edited by JackONeill
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

What was so special about Al's backstory that needed all this buildup? 

When they were sitting in the road and Al's van drove by, why weren't the keys in the ignition? Al was just driving and they only momentarily stopped.

Why would June leave Al in the car with two doors open? 

Al was carrying the walkie talkie when she dragged herself out of the truck, so why would she throw it on the ground so far from the trunk?

It looked rather silly for the walker to crawl up Al instead of biting her in the leg, thigh or stomach. Additionally instead of pulling her knife before the walker got to her, she waits to wrestle with it before attempting to grab her weapon. 

I guess the show is just going to ignore the logistics of how the guy in the wheelchair gets in and out of the truck.

And then the walker just laid still under the jacked up truck while a sick Al kicked and kicked at the jack to get the truck to fall ever so perfectly on the walker's skull.

• Love 6

Oh, and I cannot stand Mo Mo's duck footed walk. It's been bugging me since he was on the mother ship. Just can't take a guy seriously as a bad ass when he runs like that. 

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 2

I like the idea of the storm even if we're seeing precious little of it because we all know AMC is too cheap to do it up properly.  I'm also not opposed to scattering the characters in different pairings to force them to figure out what it is they want going forward.  At the midseason break they weren't a cohesive group, rather mostly the remnants of the Clark family group and the loose assortment Morgan ran into during his initial walkabout.  They were only together at that campfire eating noodles because their paths collided and they had survived.  

Do we know how long it's been since the midseason finale and when this half picks up?  If they've said, I've missed it.  In the season opener, they all seemed to just be sitting around avoiding making any longterm decisions, save John talking about taking Laura/Naomi/June and maybe Charlie back to his cabin and Morgan suddenly burning with the notion he should walk allllll the way back to Virginia just to tell Rick he was over the funk that had sent him running in the first place.  I guess he figures in this universe if you've got a stick and a backpack you can go wherever you want anytime you want for whatever reason.  One of the things he's mentioned repeatedly in wanting to go that way is that the mother ship communities are at least trying to rebuild the world.  No one among the Texas survivors is even thinking in those terms yet or even if they want to be in a group together.  I think we're supposed to see this half season as pushing all these people to decide yes, they will be some kind of community together after all.

Seriously though, Walker Bait Quinn?  You were parked at what looked like some kind of clearing maybe on a country road.  Have you ever driven before?  You do know what a highway looks like, right?  That's where the mile markers are.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

I think we're supposed to see this half season as pushing all these people to decide yes, they will be some kind of community together after all.

I agree.  The show did a bit of a whiplash with Madison's character (though I bought it) - specifically I think to give everyone a reason to change their behavior; or at least Strand, Alicia and Luciana.  I think this half of the season started off strong but there've been a couple of dud episodes in the mix.

I also would have liked more of the storm but I guess that is a budget issue.  The flying zombies were fun but if there was too much of that it would have come off Z-Nation/farce level (I would have loved it though).

There's pretty much a formula with both shows - there's either an overarching villain and those are usually dull IMO; everyone's either trying to survive/figure out what to do which seems simple to those of us watching but I have to tell myself it wouldn't be quite so easy if I were there; or everyone's happy and getting along, creating a society, which we've never seen for long.

I personally have always wanted to see a true on-the-road type of situation, so I liked meeting Morgan's new group and following his travels.   I'm sort of intrigued by our new bad gal, I hope she has more in mind than just randomly crazy.  Maybe she thinks people aren't worth saving or something, but I'm curious there.

• Love 1

As I said before, I'm actually rather enjoying Morgan's new backup group.  Both shows in the franchise are sorely in need of some levity to break up all the terrible all the time, and I think it balances his character out to have some of that to react off of.  Brewmaster Jim wordlessly offering him a beer in the cab of the truck as if to say I know you've had a helluva day cracked me up.  Like, look, we've got a truck and beer.  I'm kind of okay with it if this half season is just about them driving around retrieving all the scattered Texas people in their own personal convoy even as we know something is going to keep them from ever following through on Morgan's notion to haul all the way back to Virginia to join up with the mothership.

• Love 7

IMO, the best way to proceed is to have our team (whoever that ultimately is) on the road. I think it creates more "new" experiences. To me, with the originak Star Trek series, I always liked the off-ship missions. (Keep in mind, and you will see this with any show, money ALWAYS becomes an issue. So, that's why you saw with the original Star Trek series stories that were set on the ship.) So if FTWD continues for a few more seasons—and it seems nothing can kill these shows, certianly not lack of quality—I can our team settling down, to save the budget.

Not to be indelicate , I'm not sure how the wheelchair is going to play out in the ZA (I wondered the same thing when Hershcel lost his leg). It's okay now as long as they have the truck, but as we all know, they will run our of gas, or parts, or something. They will end up on foot ... or in a wheel chair. Then what?

• Love 6
12 hours ago, june223 said:

I found the fake mile marker weak. If quinn were coming up the highway he would see he was at mile marker 20 and know the next was not 27.

He mentioned over the radio that it was odd because he thought he had just seen mile marker 20. 

What bothers me is how conveniently quiet walkers are until it's too late.

1 hour ago, nodorothyparker said:

Seriously though, Walker Bait Quinn?  You were parked at what looked like some kind of clearing maybe on a country road.  Have you ever driven before?  You do know what a highway looks like, right?  That's where the mile markers are.

That was mile marker 21, which was altered to look like 27.

• Love 4

I couldn't understand in the beginning of the episode why they just sat around for days until all their supplies ran out...Why didn't they walk back to "basecamp"? When they left to check where the walkers were coming from in the water, I didn't get the impression that they drove that far out because Al was expecting to get back at the end of the day to leave with Morgan. They were already on their way BACK when the storm hit. And why would the van run out of fuel? Wouldn't Al leave on this trip with enough diesel to make it back home? Doesn't she have enough to at least start out this long journey to Virginia? And even if they ran out of diesel on this trip because they had to make some detours because the road was blocked or whatever (show us, don't make us invent reasons to try to justify it in our head), why always go back to the van instead of walking home. Like I said, they were only a few hours drive away...Take the keys out of the van so no one can take it, and whatever else is precious to you, and hit that road home. Most likely they would have found a car - like they eventually did - to get them there faster. More productive than sitting around wasting all the batteries!

I still don't like Morgan's new friends or this whacky filthy woman. Nor the concept of these split episodes which means my favs are missing from several episodes in a row.

This was better than last week but still the same nonsensical actions and event sequences that have been plaguing this season because that is what the plot requires.

Keep on trucking this show up, showrunners...

• Love 4
19 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Do we know how long it's been since the midseason finale and when this half picks up? 

From Madison going up in smoke to Sunday’s show is approximately 36 days. Just for the info, the show is now set at two years, three and a half months after the outbreak.

S9 of the main show will be set almost three years after the outbreak.

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Lamima said:

Oh, and I cannot stand Mo Mo's duck footed walk. It's been bugging me since he was on the mother ship. Just can't take a guy seriously as a bad ass when he runs like that. 

He's knock-kneed as hell.  I never liked to watch him walk or run.

• Love 3

Well Coleman, your first show as director, it wasn’t bad but it’s the little things that niggle, the unbelievable moments that annoy so much. Is it being too fussy or picky? Should we just overlook them, let them slide? Maybe if the story was strong and exciting enough, but it wasn’t and I can’t. After so many years the writers should have got on top of these irritations by now, a few examples, two years into the ZA, vehicles are being started with no problem, Quinn manages to find enough diesel, not once but twice, in the middle of nowhere to run a gas guzzler like Al’s truck, Quinn manages to silently sneak up on June, yet can’t hear the psycho and the somehow ‘silent’ walker Purvis creep up on him, let alone get the better of him resulting in his death, the psycho happens to carry just the right sort of tape to make the ‘7’, Quinn can’t count mile markers, little handheld radios broadcasting 50 Miles. 

Maybe it is pettiness, but you can’t help what annoys you.

• Love 7

So what's crazy lady's deal? Did she invent that dropoff organisation to make people sick? If so that seams like a huge waste of resources and highly inefficient. It would make kind of sense if she just took it over, but then the question becomes how. Is everybody as dumb as to strole out in the open when people who are supposed to be there aren't? Seriously that plot point at the end relied on the guy being colossaly stupid. First, 27 usually doesn't come after 20, second you don't know these people that well, even if it was where they said it was, it might just be an ambush to try and get the truck back. Maybe stay in the armored truck and radio from there to comfirm...

19 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

After so many seasons, I'm over mysterious new characters doing batshit stuff just to do batshit stuff.

Yeah, I'm really not into crazy lady. I had enough of batshit insane characters with Negan for a lifetime.

19 hours ago, SimoneS said:

It feels like the show is finally getting a group with chemistry. I am liking the reboot now.

Enjoy it wwhile it lasts. It seems like the endgame is to meet back up with the main show and end this show after this season. Of course the main show already has too many characters, so that's going to be a huge mess. Guess we'll see.

18 hours ago, Zombness said:

I think that Morgan's new nickname and the Voodoo's lady name (which we do not know yet) probably will have some conncection in future episodes.

Are they both going to be named Martha?

9 hours ago, JackONeill said:

But are they really his friends?

He and June didn't even hug once they found each other. So I'm going with: no.

3 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Just for the info, the show is now set at two years, three and a half months after the outbreak of the ZA.

In which time Coraaaal managed to age 10 years. Damn zombie virus accelerating aging!

1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

little handheld radios broadcasting 50 Miles. 

More. He came up the "high way" (a little country road they could clear to shoot on) and passed marker 20 at some point. So he must have been further away.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Miles said:

Enjoy it wwhile it lasts. It seems like the endgame is to meet back up with the main show and end this show after this season. Of course the main show already has too many characters, so that's going to be a huge mess. Guess we'll see.

I don't think so, but can't say why without divulging spoilers.

• Love 1

Not sure if this has been addressed earlier, but walkie talkies (5 watt size?)  usually can only transmit about 3 miles with clear line of sight without trees,buildings etc. in the way. A CB radio may get 5-7 miles or so?  A base station with a high mount antennae would most likely get a bit more range.  Anybody knowledgeable about walkie talkies ,cbs, want to add on this? 

• Love 2

Am I thinking of another show, or doesn't Al's SWAT truck have a unique ignition sequence that's supposed to prevent theft? If so, it was conveniently and annoyingly forgotten so that guy could steal it for five seconds. How did he get it to run anyway, hadn't already run out of gas when Al and June left it?

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

The big problem is when innocent people get sick or die from the free food and water.  The people they are with  will eventually catch up to Morgan and his pals and ask them why they are poisoning people with free food and water. 

This is something I hadn't really considered.  Assuming anyone is able to make that connection in a landscape probably riddled with questionable food and water sources, you have a good point.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

When Quinn lets his guard down, he really let his guard down.  Unfortunately it cost him his life.  I guess Quinn wasn't so mighty after all.

Hearing the name Quinn makes me wish and hope and pray that on one of the group's walkabouts (Strand would be the perfect one, since he's got the most humor potential) some of our team will stumble upon a few of the Lost charcaters, like Locke, Hurley, maybe Sawyer. (Alicia and Kate can have a fight over who has the longest and prettiest hair.) Then we'd be left wondering: Is the Dharma Initiative behind the zombie apocolypse? And since the Dharma Inititative comes up, we'll learn that one of June's many names is -- wait for it -- Dharma. Then when that's dislosed, there'll be another walk-on —— Greg a la Thomas Gibson. Once he appears, that will cause random sightings of various cast members from Criminal Minds. They will be looking for the "unsub" (and let's face it, with all the dead people around, that might not be such a bad idea, although I think the unsub is Negan. But I digress.) The Criminal MInds team they will call Morgan's team together (the Morgan as in TWD Morgan, not the Cirminal MInds Morgan, although ...) to give the profile, and in the background we'll hear Sawyer, muttering for the 100th time, "Son of a bitch! I can't get away from these morons!!"

Then the final shot will be of a helicopter in the distance. The camera will zoom in. And we'll see Rick hanging out one door and Madison hanging out another. (Travis is there, too, but he knows better than to hang out a helicopter window!) Rick and Madison, laughing maniaclly, will scream out, "See you later, suckers!!!"

Then, in the far distance, we'll see Sayid walking off, arm-in-arm with Althea! 

Edited by JackONeill
  • Love 4