Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E14: Live Results 2 (Wednesday's Show)

• Start Topic

• Well, if they're in a bar, I think the 15yo needs to go...
  • Yumbo Dump go home, por favor.
  • Cats or Kids, cats or kids....
  • Damn.
  • The bar for miracles has really gotten low these days...
  • Get the hell off the floor, Tyra.
  • I left the room for two minutes! What the hell is this? Are we this desperate for filler material that we have to watch Simon troll Tyra on fake dates?
  • This Bruno Mars song is never going away, is it?
  • But I like Light Balance so I'll let it go.
  • I muted my TV several times. Ugh, shut up.
  • I've only seen a few episodes of World of Dance, but I feel confident in saying that if this was a dance show, Da Republik would not be winning.
  • I've decided I want Hans to win it all.
Edited by ams1001
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, friendperidot said:

Due to gubernatorial debates, the "live" results show will be shown at 3AM. I will not be watching. Can someone please list who went through.

Makayla Phillips - Dunkin' Save - Audience pick

Da RepubliK - Dunkin' Save - Judge's pick

Front Pictures - Dunkin' Save - Eliminated

Noah Guthrie - Advanced

Samuel J. Comroe - Advanced

Voices of Hope - Advanced

Glennis Grace - Advanced

Duo Transcend - Advanced

Yumbo Dump - Eliminated

The Savitsky Cats - Eliminated

The Sacred Riana - Eliminated

Quin and Misha - Eliminated

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America's_Got_Talent_(season_13)#Week_2_(August_21–22)

• Love 2

OMG America you guys suck.  I'm pissed sacred Riana and the cats got eliminated.

The worst is that America seriously think every singer deserves to advance? 0 singers have gotten eliminated.  At this point, Shin Lim is probably going to be the only non singer making it to the finals.

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, seltzer3 said:

OMG America you guys suck.

I agree with that statement. While I'm okay with Riana being gone, she has irked me since the first day, but I'd rather see those cats sitting around doing nothing than have more singers advancing.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 12
Just now, friendperidot said:

thank you ams1001. I was not staying up until 4 AM for this show. I may, however wake back up about that time due to severe insomnia. 

Definitely not worth staying up for!

• Love 7

I only caught the last ten minutes of the show, so I'll probably FF through it when it's on Hulu tomorrow. Did they address Simon's inability to stop laughing after the cat act last night? Was it Heidi's terrible puns or was he actually laughing at the act?

I'm sorta glad Riana didn't go through. I couldn't understand why it cut off so quickly when she seemed to only be halfway up the wall, and tried to see if there was a longer version on YouTube. On that version it shows the lights cutting out once she reaches the top, then cut to commercial. If the trick had been the same as the one from Asia's Got Talent, and she had reappeared behind Mel B, that would have been way better. But otherwise her tricks were kinda meh, and Mel B's refusal to play along just added to that.

Plus Riana won Asia's Got Talent so it seemed really disingenuous to advance her on this show. But I also feel that way about other contestants who have been on other country's versions of the "Got Talent" franchise and gotten to the live shows, like Aaron Crow, Junior New System, and Yumbo Dump, to name just a few.

But we also have a Canadian, two Brits, and a German judging America's Got Talent. ?

Oh, and I am really just waiting for Tyra to come out on stage holding the Blu-Ray of The Greatest Showman and encouraging everyone to go out and buy it, because so many acts singing the songs from the movie is really starting to feel like product placement, right up there with Dunkin.

• Love 4

Yahoooo!!! Those dam cats are history! Thank you America!

With the good sometimes comes the bad. Riana was eliminated. I really wanted to see what she did next.

Surprise pick of the night has to go with Voices of Hope. Even though I enjoyed them for the first time, I thought other acts were much better. Much better for a Vegas show.

• Love 2

I hate that the singers do so well on this show. They're almost never that great, and they're never asked to step up their acts or surprise the audience like other acts are. They just sing a different song. 

Riana's routine had issues, so I'm okay (but sad) with her being eliminated. But the cats? Seriously, America? The Savitskys trained cats! The cats legitimately did interesting, complicated tricks, on command, and with almost no refusals. Also... cats! They're adorable! 

I hope all the singers split the vote against each other near the end and Shin Lim takes it all. That will be the only way to redeem this season for me. Or if Duo Transcend takes it all because they are so freaking amazing, but I just don't trust the audience to recognize that.

• Love 8

So let's see, the seven advancing acts include a future cruise ship singer, an inspirational children's choir, an underwhelming teen singer, a second unfunny comedian, a "plucky underdog" dance crew, a Glee reject (another singer!), and acro-duo who not only got the pimp spot but also had a redemption arc thrown in the mix too. Sounds about right.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, dvr devotee said:

Did they address Simon's inability to stop laughing after the cat act last night?

No.  They only showed Simon walking off set unable to cope. 

Howie repeated the core lie of the show:  It is not AGT anymore.  "YOUR country keeps supporting you.", said the germaphobe to the dancers saved by the jidges.  He was not referencing the USA.

The Illusionists?  Holy cow - we could PLAINLY see the dude's legs when he did the angled disembodied torso bit.   

As bad as this week was, next week appears to be on a craptastic par.

I will be shocked if we have seen the last of Riana this season.

• Love 1

* It was pretty easy to guess all seven acts to advance.

* Why am I watching this horrible show?

* Tyra needs to be struck by lightning every time she does the Oprah Bellow at the end of each of her announcements... EFFING ANNOYING!!!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Stompster said:

* Tyra needs to be struck by lightning every time she does the Oprah Bellow at the end of each of her announcements... EFFING ANNOYING!!!

Tyra's hip-hop delivery sounds like an attempt to keep things interesting, which they are not, and neither is she.  If she took it down a few notches, she'd be a much better host.  I did like it on - Tuesday?  last week? - when she oozed out in that gold gown doing the runway walk.  Take THAT, Heidi!

• Love 5

Agreed. Tyra's bellowing A! G! T! in her faux "street" style makes her sound like an idiot. She's not terrible as a host, but she's certainly not great, and she's no way near as good as Nick was. I'm sure they could get someone better. 

• Love 3

I am amazed that no one mentioned Glennes Grace's potty mouth when she finally realized(was that an act?) she had gone through. Howie did mention it. Her WTF was quite clearly said and I saw it even though I fast fowarded most of the show.

• Love 1

Thrilled that Samuel made it through!  I know some here don't care for him, but we find him really funny, and it makes up for us having to sit through Preacher, whom we couldn't stand, last year.  Comedy really is subjective, and Samuel is our cup of tea.  :)  Sad to see the cats go.  Really, America?  They trained cats!!!  We couldn't have given up even one of the singers for cats?  :(

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I would give up ALL of the singers for even one of the cats.

What kills me about all the singers going through is that none of them are that good. Apparently large portions of the viewing public can only relate to singers, and not recognize talent in other kinds of acts. Not that there's actually been a huge amount of talent in the variety acts either this year. My favorite act, the father-daughter acrobats, didn't even get put into the lives by the judges. I continue to believe that they intentionally put through horrible Gong Show type acts like Yumbo Dump because they don't want there to be any real competition for their beloved singers.

Two completely mediocre choirs and two completely unfunny comedians in the semi-finals. Oh joy.

12 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Howie repeated the core lie of the show:  It is not AGT anymore.  "YOUR country keeps supporting you.", said the germaphobe to the dancers saved by the judge.  He was not referencing the USA. 

It's been a frequent subject of discussion on this forum over the years, and I personally have never cared much that so many of the acts are not American and have competed on other countries' Got Talent shows. But with the dancers in Da Republic repeatedly saying they are doing this for their country, it is getting a little ridiculous. In years past, many of the foreign-born acts were at least now living in the U.S. as they pursued their show biz careers. But not the case with several acts this year.

13 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

I hate that the singers do so well on this show. They're almost never that great, and they're never asked to step up their acts or surprise the audience like other acts are. They just sing a different song. 

Exactly. And Simon never tells them that next time they need to add fire.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, suebee12 said:

I am amazed that no one mentioned Glennes Grace's potty mouth when she finally realized(was that an act?) she had gone through. Howie did mention it. Her WTF was quite clearly said and I saw it even though I fast fowarded most of the show.

She probably did it subconsciously because the f-word is not a curse in Dutch and people say it on TV in the Netherlands. No big deal here.

• Love 2

Dear show,

How about it?

I would give up ALL of the singers for even one of the cats.

No?  How about three singers for two cats?

No???  Would you believe two singers and one of the dance groups for two cats and a duck?

I'm less surprised the kid's choir made it through, simply because I think bigger groups have a slight edge--but history has shown me to be mistaken about that before.

As Howie Mandel said, in exactly the wrong context, "it's like a bad joke." 

Good luck, cats.

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, marketdoctor said:

No???  Would you believe two singers and one of the dance groups for two cats and a duck?

I'll take a duck. Have they ever had a duck? I know we've seen chickens, and parrots...

52 minutes ago, yankeefan said:

Now that Rhiana is gone can we stop with all the "Rhiana, stop causing technical problems" nonsense?

If they're still having problems next week it'll be because she's mad she was eliminated.

• Love 7

This is where you can see producer manipulation in full view: Makayla Phillips and Front Pictures were clearly the two acts neck and neck for the Dunkin Save, so it's safe to say that they were the two acts that were .1% apart in the voting, and probably came in 6th and 7th in the original results. But instead of throwing it back to the audience vote for the judge's save, Simon picked Da RepubliK because they are clearly the act the show wants to keep on, despite the fact that we have cold hard numbers telling us the audience at large prefers Front Pictures. Such fucking bullshit.

On the other hand, one Golden Buzzer got eliminated without a save (Quin and Misha) and another came very close to not even getting the Dunkin Save (Makayla Phillips) so...baby steps. 

Did no one tell Voices of Hope's director that the children she put in orange jumpsuits look like tiny little convicts?

12 hours ago, suebee12 said:

I watched the results show on NBC's website just now, didn't catch it live, and I think they cut it out of that version...I was really confused about what they were talking about when they said she has to watch her language.

I do find them not even mentioning she's Dutch to be...odd. Usually the singers get enough backstory to write a full-length biography, but they're keeping her kind of an enigma. She's got this son we never see (which is her right not to have pictures of her child made public, it's just an unusual choice for this show), everything about her is so vague, like she just sprung up out of nowhere. I know it's an attempt to hide that she is already incredibly accomplished, but it's really off-putting.

• Love 3

I like Sacred Riana. She put magic on a different level...including being scary. Mel B shouldn't act the way she does. If she has a problem with scary acts, let me take her place. I agree there wasn't as much magic as it should have been, but I wonder if the judges has something to do with it or AGT? Because they don't like how scary she is? Also quit cutting off the end of the act!!! Others performance are not cut off!! I used to watch horror movies long ago.(Not any more) Sacred Riana is nothing like that!! Mel B get over it and let her perform!!! They should being her back in!!

• Love 1

I'm hoping one of the semifinalists has to drop out for some reason in the next few weeks and they will bring back the cats.

Riana and her 'act' is crap and I'm glad she's gone. Her whole schtick is being Samara from the ring and doing lame, not really magic tricks.

• Love 5

Results shows are never entertaining because the actual results take up 5 minutes or less and the rest is dramatic breath-holding and old AGT rejects coming back to reinfect the airwaves.

The Illusionists were shitty, especially with that guy's legs clearly visible in that contraption. The Bruno Mars song that was playing along with it is one of the most irritating songs that I can only associate with a group of overweight "mommas" from the Bronx doing an annoying duck lipped head bopping while shaking their cellulite asses (my imagery gets creative when I hate things).

That bit about Simon watching Tyra on "dates" was embarrassingly bad - I really hope he didn't believe in that segment and that his constant laughing was forced. I don't recall any annoying behavior from the judges for the results show, but seeing a clip of Mel and Heidi annoying bopping to music from Tuesday's show like infants in high chairs made my face turn redder than Yosemite Sam's beard.

The Dunkin Save is a retarded concept. The whole premise of the show is "vote for your favorite, it's in your hands!" and then most of the time it's the judges who get to decide, which conveniently ends in a "we're running out of time" deadlock 99.99999% of the time. Makayla didn't deserve to go through, especially since that's another singer to suffer through in the semi finals. Da Republik were obviously in last place, but the producers want to keep them around for some unknown reason. I've already said it before, but any time these large group acts are assigned a leader, said leader automatically becomes irritating.

It's hard to even criticize who advanced, since there was hardly anyone good to choose from at all. Feels so good! that Yumbo Dump and Riana got the much deserved kick. The Savitsky Cats didn't deserve to be eliminated, but their act isn't really that energetic/exciting. The owners of the cats are still very hot, though - something Yumbo Dump will never be. Other than that, I don't care about anything else that happened. Next week's show looks insanely boring again. Why is everyone a damn singer? I wouldn't doubt that the producers saw that American Idol this year did decent numbers and they're trying to eclipse that, despite being able to produce exactly 0 famous singers (Jackie Evancho is pretty much F level fame, I would say). Look forward to seeing a Glennis Grace album with a pretentious album cover of her with her arms crossed appear on Walmart shelves for a week before they're all thrown in the garbage.

Edited by InternetToughGuy
Post was doubled somehow
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I do find them not even mentioning she's Dutch to be...odd. Usually the singers get enough backstory to write a full-length biography, but they're keeping her kind of an enigma. She's got this son we never see (which is her right not to have pictures of her child made public, it's just an unusual choice for this show), everything about her is so vague, like she just sprung up out of nowhere. I know it's an attempt to hide that she is already incredibly accomplished, but it's really off-putting.

As someone pointed out in the live performance thread, probably because being from The Netherlands does not have that aura of Third World poverty chic this show seems to love. (Da Republic, the dance troupe from The Philippines). Also, I believe she's one of the this year's Chosen Ones by the producers, and they may be afraid that not being American will cost her some votes. Or, maybe the producers just think that Americans are so dumb they will be confused by a woman from The Netherlands who does not look like a grown-up version of the little blonde Dutch girl.

After reading some of the posts here about her long, successful musical career, I did finally Google her for more information. And found some pretty racy pictures, at least by the standards of this "family show," and the stay-at-home Mom (fake) narrative about her they've been pushing.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

Well Shin Lin can just make her go up in a puff of smoke! I hate Rhiana. Shin Lin for the win!

If I were king of this show, that "trick" would make me give the win and million dollars to Shin Lim. If only ...

• Love 2
13 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I'm an American living in Amsterdam and yes, I also mentioned this in the live performance thread yesterday (@bluepiano), that it's strange they never mention she is from the Netherlands on the tv broadcasts.  Last night on Dutch tv, they had an interview with her mom and son outside her mom's apartment.  Interview was in Dutch. Basically said they were really excited for her and her mom said, NBD about the WTF, which is not surprising.  It's not a big deal here.. =D  

• Love 3

Pretty shocked that Makayla Phillips stayed and Front Pictures is out. What a crock. Her performance was really pretty awful. 

Da Republik is okay. Are the judges serious with this whole, "You are amazing! You are the best! You'd win any dance competition around!"? They were okay. Just okay. 

I personally do like Noah Guthrie and feel like he's actually talented. Glad Duo Transcend stayed in, they're cool to watch. 

Bummed that the Savitsky Cats are out. They were interesting.

So glad Quin and Misha are out - other than her being 71, which is amazing, their dancing was pretty horrid. Ditto on Yumbo Dump, pretty stupid. I thought the Sacred Riana has gotten worse each time she's performed, and her most recent performance wasn't good. Not surprised she's out and wish she would've performed a better illusion to stay in.

The rest was a big "Meh" for me.

Side note: Tyra Banks is the absolute worst host of any competition TV show I've ever seen. Truly terrible. 

Edited by Lunula
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, bluepiano said:

As someone pointed out in the live performance thread, probably because being from The Netherlands does not have that aura of Third World poverty chic this show seems to love. (Da Republic, the dance troupe from The Philippines). Also, I believe she's one of the this year's Chosen Ones by the producers, and they may be afraid that not being American will cost her some votes. Or, maybe the producers just think that Americans are so dumb they will be confused by a woman from The Netherlands who does not look like a grown-up version of the little blonde Dutch girl.

That was me.  And yes, yes yes.. those were all the things I was thinking.  

Edited by Amsterdamker
  • Love 3

Just got around to watching it. Riana didnt get any favors by the stage being broken. The wall was super visible and on tv you could see how fake it was. I guess it was supposed to be blackness on the wall but since the doors were broke that wasn't possible.

Even though Front Pictures got a free pass to the quarterfinals I think they were way better than the other two. No clue how Mikalya got a golden buzzer or advanced this round either.

Courtney... Shin Lim.... everyone else

We will see how it turns out tonight, but I think thats your top 2 at this point.

• Love 1