Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Sandwich?

• Start Topic

BLT, with summer ripened tomatoes and crispy bacon.   Sourdough bread is preferred but not required, and should be toasted.  Iceberg lettuce only.  Small schmear or mayo.  Salt and pepper.  Bacon can be thick sliced but not the super thick sliced.  Drooling just thinking about it.

• Love 5

I'm not excited about sandwiches in general (because I'm not excited about bread*), but I do love the occasional hot pastrami on rye at a local deli, and I eat quite a few BLTs during tomato season (toasted whole wheat [sourdough would be good, too, but since I don't eat much bread, I only keep one kind on hand], mayo, romaine lettuce, tomato, bacon) because they are simple but perfect.  I also usually make a chicken salad sandwich (with tarragon - must have) out of some of the leftover breast meat when I roast a chicken. 

*For a basic lunch sandwich, I'll sometimes make a wrap using whole wheat lavash with turkey, provolone, lettuce, and a mayo/mashed avocado mix, or a pita pocket of some sort.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

I am a toasted whole wheat BLT person as well, a slather of mayo (its the only sandwich I can stand having mayo on) with the tomatoes on that side, bacon, iceberg lettuce topped with the other toast that has Dijon! Perfection. I have had two in the last week.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Colorado David said:

What's your favorite sandwich? I love love love a good Reuben - corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and Russian dressing, grilled between slices of rye bread. Nice dill pickle on the side, something with a bit of bite.

That's mine too light on the sauerkraut and seedless rye.

• Love 2

I am like Joey on Friends in that sandwiches are my favorite food.  Unfortunately as I  am prone to becoming enormous if I eat the way I used to,  sandwiches are sort of a treat.  Favorites, though, include (my ultimate) ABLT with a touch of mayo on toasted whole wheat with swiss, sprouts and an over easy egg OMG YUMM, NY style corned beef on rye with mustard,  Italian beef (it's a Chicago thing), good grilled cheese and the lowly yet delicious PB&J.  Honorable mentions to egg or chicken salad with lettuce as long as they are served on good hearty bread.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mansonlamps said:

I am like Joey on Friends in that sandwiches are my favorite food.  Unfortunately as I  am prone to becoming enormous if I eat the way I used to,  sandwiches are sort of a treat.  Favorites, though, include (my ultimate) ABLT with a touch of mayo on toasted whole wheat with swiss, sprouts and an over easy egg OMG YUMM, NY style corned beef on rye with mustard,  Italian beef (it's a Chicago thing), good grilled cheese and the lowly yet delicious PB&J.  Honorable mentions to egg or chicken salad with lettuce as long as they are served on good hearty bread.

If "ABLT" refers to avocado, bacon, lettuce, tomato, I call that a "BLAT" because it sounds funny.  And if you then add an egg to it, it becomes a "BLEAT", also funny.  Not sure what to do with the S(wiss), S(prouts), T(oasted), W(hole), W(heat), & M(ayo) -- & now I'm too hungry to work on it.

• Love 5

Getting really specific: An acquaintance of mine was co-owner of a bistro/art gallery in San Jose for a few years. They made a pesto chicken sandwich that was the perfect start for a night of clubbing, especially with a latte.

More generally, a hot link sandwich on rye toast with mayo (just a little bit), Dijon mustard, and pepper jack cheese.

And if I'm fast-fooding it, a Subway veggie sandwich with all of the veggies (including the hot ones), mustard, and pepper. I call it a saladwich.

• Love 1

Oh, I forgot one -- when tomatoes aren't in season and I want a brunch-type sandwich, I make one with avocado mashed with a little bit of mayo and diced red onion spread thick on each slice of bread and bacon slices in the middle.

When I was a kid, I ate peanut butter and honey sandwiches (my version of PB&J, I guess - I liked jelly well enough, but I hated it with peanut butter, so my mom came up with this).  It does not sound at all good now, but I should make one some day to see what I think.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, fairffaxx said:

Not sure what to do with the S(wiss), S(prouts), T(oasted), W(hole), W(heat), & M(ayo) -- & now I'm too hungry to work on it.

Add avocado and onions to make it a SWAM SWOT!

• Love 2

Lol nice choices, I see the BLT is clearly leading the way. I love a good BLT, tho rarely make em as you gotta fix the bacon. Subway I do not mind at all, although we have Schlotzsky's here which has great bread for all their sandwiches.

A runny egg makes a nice addition to any sandwich or burger!

• Love 1

Thanks for all the reminders on BLTs. Bacon is one of the few things my husband cooks to perfection. His mother would always ask for it "crispy, but not too crispy". We have such lovely local ripe tomatoes right now. A BLT is a perfect hot night dinner. I like to add some avocado.

I was eating at Panera last month, and saw a guy pull the tomato off his sandwich, saying to his dining companion - "It's July, it's Maryland. There is no good reason they can't find a ripe tomato for their sandwiches." So true.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, fairffaxx said:

If "ABLT" refers to avocado, bacon, lettuce, tomato, I call that a "BLAT" because it sounds funny.  And if you then add an egg to it, it becomes a "BLEAT", also funny.  Not sure what to do with the S(wiss), S(prouts), T(oasted), W(hole), W(heat), & M(ayo) -- & now I'm too hungry to work on it.

I love a BLAT but (I see shudders coming) I eat mine with mustard. 

A friend from High School and I like cream cheese and olive sandwiches. Don’t know many people who like them. It’s our bonding lunch. 

Yum on the peanut butter and honey @Bastet  Especially if the bread is warm and toasted. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 1

One I make myself:  Grilled cheese on whole wheat or multigrain (but that's because I don't buy white bread) with sliced tomatoes, made in the toaster oven.  I also make my own salmon salad sandwiches, either on the aforementioned breads or in a wrap (usually the breads since I don't typically buy tortilla).  I don't really like mayo, so I make salmon salad with either quark or yogurt.

If I get it at a sandwich shop: Avocado, tomatoes and brie (or mozzarella/boconccini) on multigrain or whole wheat (I avoid white when I can)

Edited by PRgal
Just now, DeLurker said:

Right now my favorite sandwich would be a Cuban sandwich.  Mostly because I no longer can find a good one near where I live. 

I've never had one, tho watching Dexter sooooo made me want to try one. They look amazing.

• Love 1

My favorite day after Thanksgiving treat: A club sandwich with bacon, lettuce, tomato, and leftover white meat turkey. Plenty of mayo. I never order club sandwiches in restaurants, though.

Egg salad is a nice everyday sandwich--lots of mayo and a little Dijon mustard mixed in with the chopped hard boiled eggs. (I like mayo, as you see--apologies to those who find the thought of it nauseating.)

And lastly, nothing like a good PB and J--though nowadays I'm working on eating healthier, so the classic Skippy or Jif on white bread with Smucker's or Welch's grape jelly isn't as delightful with sprouted grain bread and sugarless PB and jam.

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

My favorite day after Thanksgiving treat: A club sandwich with bacon, lettuce, tomato, and leftover white meat turkey. Plenty of mayo. I never order club sandwiches in restaurants, though.

Egg salad is a nice everyday sandwich--lots of mayo and a little Dijon mustard mixed in with the chopped hard boiled eggs. (I like mayo, as you see--apologies to those who find the thought of it nauseating.)

And lastly, nothing like a good PB and J--though nowadays I'm working on eating healthier, so the classic Skippy or Jif on white bread with Smucker's or Welch's grape jelly isn't as delightful with sprouted grain bread and sugarless PB and jam.

Abs nothing wrong with Mayo - but NEVER EVER give me Miracle Whip. Can't stomach it, won't tolerate it. NO. NOT a substitute at all. I was forced to eat that crap growing up - unforgivable. My mother has the worst taste when it comes to food, and forced all the low end crap food on me and my brother.

Edited by Colorado David
  • Love 9
14 hours ago, chessiegal said:

A good one is amazing. Anything less is disappointing.

The ones I've tried lately (I'm north of Houston) were perfectly good sandwiches but in no way were they Cuban sandwiches.  One, G*A*S*P*!!!, was made on ciabatta bread.

On the plus side, the one I ordered on Friday came with a side of plantains and they were spectacular.  I'll go back for the plantains, but not the Cuban.

On 8/18/2018 at 8:01 PM, DeLurker said:

Right now my favorite sandwich would be a Cuban sandwich.  Mostly because I no longer can find a good one near where I live. 

Not quite authentic, but they have a Cuban at Potbelly nowadays. I think it tastes good and we don't have any other choices in my area that I know of.

• Love 1
On 8/17/2018 at 8:03 PM, mansonlamps said:

I live 2 hours south of Chicago, 1 hour north of Indianapolis, in what I like to refer to as the Italian beef desert.  I grew up in NW Indiana, just north where I would draw the Italian beef line-where to the north, everyone dies for Italian beef, to the south, no one has heard of it.  I love homemade Italian beef the best, but if I had to pick a chain out of Chicago, forget Portillo's, Buona Beef has better flavor, in my opinion.  They don't have the fantastic desserts or salads of Portillo's, but who cares if you're there for the beef?

Please tell me you don't eat yours wet, though.  That's the grossest.  So is the Italian combo.  LOL.  I know, I know, it's heresy.

Picking a favorite sandwich is like asking me to pick a favorite child. I love them all the same, although there are moments when one shines brighter than another. 

Right now I’m all about my heirloom tomatoes and mayonnaise and whatever partners they have on my plate. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, larapu2000 said:

Please tell me you don't eat yours wet, though.  That's the grossest.  So is the Italian combo.  LOL.  I know, I know, it's heresy.

Nope, I like mine 'regular' if I'm eating there and dry if I'm carrying out.   But I do like the combo.   Well until Portillo's ruined it by adding the calories to the menu.  I like Buono, but it's not conveniently located for me. 

• Love 1

Let me do a week worth of sandwiches to start. I can probably fill in a whole month without any repeats and be pretty happy.

Sunday: Roast beef on a hard roll, lettuce, tomato, mayo, S&P.

Monday: Corned beef, on marble rye with Swiss and spicy brown mustard. Warm.

Tuesday: Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato with mayo on toasted country white bread

Wednesday: Ham and fresh mozzarella with roasted red peppers on a ciabatta roll. 

Thursday: Cubano (excellent suggestion from above.)

Friday: Smoked turkey on an onion bagel with mustard and Swiss

Saturday: Italian combo on a long roll, with lettuce, tomato, oil and vinegar.

All always accompanied by good pickles, sometimes chips, sometimes some sort of salad. 

• Love 5

Oh my goodness, I love sandwiches. I think my favorite of all time is a fried bologna with Miracle Whip on white bread and if you want to be bad fry the bread as well. It;s definitely a sandwich made at home, I've never seen a restaurant sell it (did find a grocery store in KY that would though). I also love a good basic pb&j, turkey w/provolone or grilled cheese. At Thanksgiving I like turkey with miracle whip and cranberry and on New Years I like to make a sandwich with mashed up black-eyed peas, cabbage (cooked in butter), corned beef, all shoved into the cornbread.  And I am fascinated with dagwood sandwiches and the ones Scooby and Shaggy used to eat!! 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

I think my favorite of all time is a fried bologna with Miracle Whip on white bread

One of my brothers used to make fried bologna sandwiches for us when we were kids!  I had it straight, but he added mayo.

• Love 1

Not exactly a sandwich (open faced sandwich I guess), but cheese broiled on bread in the toaster oven.  I haven't shopped in a while so had that for lunch and remembered how much I loved it!  Swiss is my favorite for this particular sandwich.  It gets so bubbly and good.

• Love 1
On 9/7/2018 at 4:57 PM, mansonlamps said:

Not exactly a sandwich (open faced sandwich I guess), but cheese broiled on bread in the toaster oven.  I haven't shopped in a while so had that for lunch and remembered how much I loved it!  Swiss is my favorite for this particular sandwich.  It gets so bubbly and good.

Have you ever tried it with chutney (between the bread and the cheese)?  Delicious!

I generally find American sandwiches way too big.  If I have to use a knife and fork because I can't get my mouth around it, it's not a sandwich.

When I travel to the UK, my first (and last) purchase is always a sandwich, picked up at the airport.  Marks and Spencer's are my favourite, especially egg and cress or cheese and onion.

Edited by Brookside
cress not watercress
On 8/18/2018 at 10:41 AM, chessiegal said:

Thanks for all the reminders on BLTs. Bacon is one of the few things my husband cooks to perfection. His mother would always ask for it "crispy, but not too crispy". We have such lovely local ripe tomatoes right now. A BLT is a perfect hot night dinner. I like to add some avocado.

I was eating at Panera last month, and saw a guy pull the tomato off his sandwich, saying to his dining companion - "It's July, it's Maryland. There is no good reason they can't find a ripe tomato for their sandwiches." So true.

I've given up on tomatoes. They've (big farmers and little farmers) bred the taste out of them, IMO (but campari and Roma are still pretty tasty). My 2 favorite sandwiches are rotisserie chicken slices on toasted sourdough, and bacon on any kind of toast (hold the tomato and lettuce, please). 

On 9/12/2018 at 1:57 AM, Brookside said:

Have you ever tried it with chutney (between the bread and the cheese)?  Delicious!

I generally find American sandwiches way too big.  If I have to use a knife and fork because I can't get my mouth around it, it's not a sandwich.

When I travel to the UK, my first (and last) purchase is always a sandwich, picked up at the airport.  Marks and Spencer's are my favourite, especially egg and watercress or cheese and onion.

I LOVE the Egg and Cress sandwiches in the UK!  Pret a Manger or EAT for me, please!

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, larapu2000 said:

I LOVE the Egg and Cress sandwiches in the UK!  Pret a Manger or EAT for me, please!

Oops - yes, egg and cress, not watercress - big difference, though watercress would be good too!  (I've changed my original post.)

On 8/21/2018 at 11:46 PM, callie lee 29 said:

Oh my goodness, I love sandwiches. I think my favorite of all time is a fried bologna with Miracle Whip on white bread and if you want to be bad fry the bread as well. It;s definitely a sandwich made at home, I've never seen a restaurant sell it (did find a grocery store in KY that would though). I also love a good basic pb&j, turkey w/provolone or grilled cheese. At Thanksgiving I like turkey with miracle whip and cranberry and on New Years I like to make a sandwich with mashed up black-eyed peas, cabbage (cooked in butter), corned beef, all shoved into the cornbread.  And I am fascinated with dagwood sandwiches and the ones Scooby and Shaggy used to eat!! 

I like Miracle Whip too (and mayo). And I very much understand what you mean about the subs Scooby and Shaggy eat. I’m also fascinated by most sandwiches eaten on cop procedurals like Law & Order. Commonly chased with a can of soda in a hurried fashion.  

I love:

a good caprese sandwich 

turkey, cheddar, honey mustard, lettuce and red onion on wheat 

pimento cheese (pref homemade) on white

roast beef, provolone, horseradish sauce, red onion and lettuce 

BLT, toasted 

Italian from Jersey Mike’s. On white- Mike’s way no tomato

Bacon, egg and cheese with runny egg- toasted (confess I love mayo on this but don’t have the cajones to ask for while out but will do at home)

Plain bagel toasted with chive cream cheese

PB & J- strawberry with creamy PB, wheat 

Grilled cheese- love gourmet ones but also love white bread with more butter than the Lord intended, American cheese (pref deli deluxe by Kraft)- not under or overdone - shout out to mom for making best one 

Notably missing: anything healthy

Edited by KnoxForPres
  • Love 2

Had one of my favorite sandwiches today, Chicken Delight.  Well, that's what I call it, the name stolen from a similar sandwich the cafeteria where I used to work made.  It's a curried chicken salad sandwich with raisins, apple, almonds and scallions.  The cafeteria's version didn't include scallions, and was served as a wrap on a flour tortilla.  I served it on a bialy (like a bagel but without a hole.  

• Love 1

I love sandwiches, but these days I seem to only have the occasional deli ham on whole wheat bread for lunch.  I can't choose just one, but here are my favorites:

Po'boy:  Since I live in the deep south, I've had many a po'boy.  The best is Shrimp (piles of fried shrimp on a foot of chewy French bread--preferably baked in New Orleans and quickly trucked to points north, east and west--with mayo, shredded lettuce, and tomato slices.).  Other good ones are roast beef or BBQ beef.  Both very tasty and messy (if you don't have juice or gravy dripping down your elbows as you eat, it's not a good one). 

Pimento cheese on white bread (preferably with a layer of Fritos to give it a good salty crunch).  I will eat pimento cheese on whole wheat bread if I must.

Grilled American cheese or pimento cheese on white bread.  Open faced American cheese sandwiches in the toaster oven are good, too. 

It's funny that I don't usually care for rye bread or Swiss cheese as sandwich ingredients on their own, but I love them on a Reuben (and I'm always a fan of sauerkraut and the dressing). 

I echo the praise for BLTs, but I sometimes substitute ham for the bacon and that works, too.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I love sandwiches, but these days I seem to only have the occasional deli ham on whole wheat bread for lunch.  I can't choose just one, but here are my favorites:

Po'boy:  Since I live in the deep south, I've had many a po'boy.  The best is Shrimp (piles of fried shrimp on a foot of chewy French bread--preferably baked in New Orleans and quickly trucked to points north, east and west--with mayo, shredded lettuce, and tomato slices.).  Other good ones are roast beef or BBQ beef.  Both very tasty and messy (if you don't have juice or gravy dripping down your elbows as you eat, it's not a good one). 

Pimento cheese on white bread (preferably with a layer of Fritos to give it a good salty crunch).  I will eat pimento cheese on whole wheat bread if I must.

Grilled American cheese or pimento cheese on white bread.  Open faced American cheese sandwiches in the toaster oven are good, too. 

It's funny that I don't usually care for rye bread or Swiss cheese as sandwich ingredients on their own, but I love them on a Reuben (and I'm always a fan of sauerkraut and the dressing). 

I echo the praise for BLTs, but I sometimes substitute ham for the bacon and that works, too.

Something that is really good is Fritos dipped in pimento cheese and a small dollop of red pepper jelly (provided one likes pepper jelly).

On 9/14/2018 at 11:25 PM, forumfish said:

Cheese toast! Mom used to fix one slice of cheese toast and one slice of cinnamon toast (in the regular oven) for breakfast sometimes. I loved how the edges of the cheese (American) always got a little brown, and the sugar on the cinnamon toast always got a little crunchy.

My guilty pleasure: butter-sugar sandwich on white bread.

My mom did the exact thing and I loved both of these for same reasons you do!  In fact I wondered if maybe my sister posted here and I never knew but she doesn’t eat butter-sugar sandwiches so turns out we probably are not sisters. 

• Love 1

Planning for an upcoming trip to London, I've started following a number of English food bloggers and Instagrammers.   I discovered I Eat Sandwiches @the.xandwich.   Every day, a new sandwich.  Then I map out where he is to see if it is too far to travel.  

I feel like Joey Tribiani planning his dream vacation. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Quof said:

Planning for an upcoming trip to London, I've started following a number of English food bloggers and Instagrammers.   I discovered I Eat Sandwiches @the.xandwich.   Every day, a new sandwich.  Then I map out where he is to see if it is too far to travel.  

I feel like Joey Tribiani planning his dream vacation. 

OMG.  Seriously.  Thank you for this, I can die and go to heaven now.

I went to Firehouse Subs today because I was shopping in the same strip mall. I got the Engineer - turkey, swiss, mushrooms, lettuce, tomato, onion, mayo, mustard. Definitely not too much lettuce. It was very good. I'll be back.

I'm going to have to try their chili.