Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E08: Judge Cuts 2

• Start Topic

(edited)

Poppycock was a real singer and deserved better than he got.  Hans is funny.  I'm glad he and the mom comic made it through, and the spitters didn't.

Next week:  DASHA DASHA DASHA.  Waiting for the Sacred Riana to see what she'll do next.

Edited by Lava VaVoom
  • Love 4

This might not be a popular thought but why don't they have an age limit? Five years old is way too young to be on a show like this...you know it is for the mother and not the little girl! To me this is  a kind of child abuse and in my opinion, she couldn't even really sing. At least the little girls last year had amazing voices...Sophie, not so much.

• Love 14

This might be the most underwhelming (craptastic if you are feeling blunt) group of Judge Cuts since they've got to this format. By the time they got to the last comic lady, but even before she performed I was going "they have to take her, how else are they going to get to 6?" Which is sad (along with Hans) because neither of those acts should be anywhere near the live shows.

I wonder if Paul Lake was not in their original plans, but then his illusion kind of woke them all up and they said....I guess we have to take this guy even if he is a little "corny" and has very little stage presence.

Shen Lim was awesome, as expected.

Felt a little bad for the the trio of young brothers who sang September, on talent and personality they should've gotten the singer/musician/band spot over Joseph. And seriously, are we really doing the "stop the audition in the middle of the song to give him a chance to sing a different song or start over?" That's all kinds of b.s. especially for a kid who's not that great to begin with.

Two Choirs, two golden buzzers. Them's some long odds if you had that picked out...

• Love 4

The egg spitting was what made me want to barf. I'm not sure why we needed narration from Mel on what was going on. I thought parts of the water act were kind of cool and artistic, but they totally lost me after they incorporated food. The eggs and orange juice went too far. 

The close up magic guy was really good. However, this sort of act is only good for TV when they can show it close up. I don't see much point in going to show just so you can watch what he's doing on a monitor. Those kind of tricks are good when you're sitting around with a couple of friends. 

I think Sophie forgot the words, but she recovered pretty well. She does have a big voice for a five year old. She's a little too cutsie. Her mom looked like a former pageant queen. 

The Future Kingz were better this time around. They minimized the little kid. However bringing him in at the end kind of brought the act down. He was dancing pretty well, but I think he forgot the choreography. 

That Leoz guy is awesome. 

The Angel City Chorale sounded better this time around. The sound was horrible on their first audition. 

Hans is entertaining and he seems to have some marginal degree of talent. 

I didn't like the magician, Rob Lake, the in his first audition. It was a good trick tonight. Maybe because he moved it along this time. Some of these magicians tend to drag things out with the set up and everything. 

So, some producer is backstage instructing this kid, to start out by singing the REO song badly...  

The lady comedian is pretty bad. She has the technique down, but she didn't tell a good joke.

Acts that made it through:

Angel City Chorale - Golden Buzzer

Joseph - the bad REO song guy

The close up magician

The other magician 

The Future Kingz

Hans

The unimpressive lady comedian

I can't see any of these acts winning the thing. 

• Love 2
(edited)

So I counted how many acts didn't get an actual audition. This means they didn't get a video package before and got less than 30 seconds of airtime.

They were:

Melisize Brothers

Macey Mac

Reyes del Swing

Shannon and Reckon

Exisdance

Vivien Vajda

Leah Mathies

Hunter Price

Guess how many of these acts made it through? ZERO. So basically if the act doesn't get a video package before and gets less than 30 seconds of airtime, or the act is shown during a song, the chances of the act going through are almost non existent.

According to the wiki this is who is on next week:

Angel Garcia, Singer

Bensax International, Saxophonist

Blue Tokyo, Acrobatic Dance Group

Bone Hampton, Stand-up Comedian 

Fratelli Rossi, Acrobatic Duo 

Jeffrey Li, Singer

Jules and Jerome, Teeterboard Duo

Kazi, Singer

Ms. Trysh, Singer 

Noah Guthrie, Singer

Oliver Graves, Stand-up Comedian

Quin and Misha, Ballroom Dance Duo

The PAC Dance Team, Dance Group

The Savitsky Cats, Cat Act

UDI, Blacklight Group

We Three, Band

(2 more)

Laurent Piron and Srikanta Barefoot were told by producers that even though they got enough yeses to move on that behind the scenes they were told the judges opinion doesnt matter and that the producers didn't want them on the show in the next round. (Very interesting article about this http://www.fusion-arts.com/blog/fire-cyr-wheel-americas-got-talent/)

Also...So first too many singers get golden buzzers now they are stuck on choirs...still think this is all fixed for Courtney....(her audition video is up to 41 million views just to compare grace vanderwall's audition video that has been up for 2 years has 86 million views, therefore Courtney already has half the views grace does and her video has only been up since June 12th)

Edited by anthonyd46

The spitting act was hilarious. In terms of comedic value, they have 99% of stand up comics that have appeared on this show beat. But alas, humor is subjective and clearly I'm in the minority thinking this.

Shin Lim is still the best magician who has ever given his time to this show. Another stunning performance. Could watch him for hours.

The choir sang an amazing song. "Baba Yetu" was originally the theme song for the video game Civilization IV and was the first such song to win a Grammy Award. It's too bad they completely botched it. Musically it was a disaster. I guess this is what happens when you force a bunch of geezers to perform a haphazard choreography while they are singing, in an attempt to make the act "more TV friendly".

• Love 4
9 hours ago, anthonyd46 said:

Laurent Piron and Srikanta Barefoot were told by producers that even though they got enough yeses to move on that behind the scenes they were told the judges opinion doesnt matter and that the producers didn't want them on the show in the next round.

Thanks for the interesting link. It's not the first article I've read about what performers go through and how fakety fake the show is. We viewers are being manipulated, as we are on all reality shows, they are all scripted. Our only hope is that we enjoy the acts we are allowed to see and not care (or get upset about) who wins in the end, since TPTB already knows the winner.

• Love 2

Normally you see 10 or so acts that you feel should go through and struggle to figure out who makes it. Not so this week.

I'm just shocked that they montaged a couple singers. About friggin time. Still too many on this show and then the 3rd scripted "stop singing" by Simon. 

Overall I'm happy with who they picked. Allowing both magicians being the highlight. Shin Lin, always amazing. And Rob Lake really stepped it up. He still doesn't have the stage presence which is why his career is mostly creating illusions for other magicians. But I still think he deserves to move on. 

The only one I think that should have moved on but didn't was Lioz. His deadpan magic humor is entertaining...even if he did steal an Amazing Jonathan gag. I liked him over Hans.

For a two hour show, we sure do see a lot of filler. I wish they would nix the video packages and just show us the acts in their entirety. There is a reason why they give them only 90 seconds. Otherwise, what is the point of a time limit...especially if you are going to let them sing one and a half songs.

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, lynxfx said:

Normally you see 10 or so acts that you feel should go through and struggle to figure out who makes it. Not so this week.

I'm just shocked that they montaged a couple singers. About friggin time. Still too many on this show and then the 3rd scripted "stop singing" by Simon. 

Overall I'm happy with who they picked. Allowing both magicians being the highlight. Shin Lin, always amazing. And Rob Lake really stepped it up. He still doesn't have the stage presence which is why his career is mostly creating illusions for other magicians. But I still think he deserves to move on. 

The only one I think that should have moved on but didn't was Lioz. His deadpan magic humor is entertaining...even if he did steal an Amazing Jonathan gag. I liked him over Hans.

For a two hour show, we sure do see a lot of filler. I wish they would nix the video packages and just show us the acts in their entirety. There is a reason why they give them only 90 seconds. Otherwise, what is the point of a time limit...especially if you are going to let them sing one and a half songs.

I agree that would probably be the only way to fit the 18 acts is to nix the video packages. Like I said the montages acts were 0 for 8 last night.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm just going to give Shin Lim the win, so I can be finished with this awful, awful season.

That whole thing with Joseph was complete bullshit.  

Mel, stop with the play by play.  Howie isn't an idiot.  Neither is the audience.

Simon, do not embarrass your adorable son on national television again.  It isn't funny and that part could have easily been edited out. 

This season blows!

Edited by lb60
  • Love 8

Does anyone watch this live or are you all using a DVR or some other service? I always record and start the show about an hour in and skip the commercials and most of the video packages. Doing so I catch up to the live right before it ends.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, lynxfx said:

Does anyone watch this live or are you all using a DVR or some other service? I always record and start the show about an hour in and skip the commercials and most of the video packages. Doing so I catch up to the live right before it ends.

No DVR here, so I watch live (or OnDemand where I can't fast forward commercials, so it doesn't make much difference) but I'm usually messing around on my computer or doing other things at the same time. If I paid too much attention I probably wouldn't make it through before getting thoroughly irritated. ;) (Then again, that's how I watch most TV these days.) Last night I was at my parents' for dinner and then we played cards so I watched the first half from the kitchen and couldn't hear too much of the judges' nonsense, which was nice. (We finished our game about halfway through so we watched the rest in the living room while I made snarky comments about the judges' nonsense.)

8 hours ago, CrashTextDummie said:

The spitting act was hilarious.

I liked the story concept and I find the act in general gross/funny but the raw egg really put me off. Ugh.

• Love 1

Another boring show with the exception of two performances.

Angel City Chorale - Again, this is a choir! This choir did not deserve a Golden Buzzer. I don't even think the choir expected to get through. I believe they want to get noticed. They should be eliminated in the first live show cuts. 

Joseph - Another regular "Joe" TPTB feel will get the tweeners to vote. There are better singers on the show. 

Shen Lim - This magician should've received the Golden Buzzer! Best close up magician that I've seen on AGT. Best of the night!

Paul Blake - This was the second best performance of the night behind Shen Lim. His stage presence is fine. Can't wait what de does next.  

The Future Kingz - Sure they dance good. Sure I wish I could move like they can. But, but, but,......they are a dance group! Dance groups are nothing more than a compliment act to the main event.

Hans - I did find myself laughing, but not my cup of tea!

The lady comedian - I'm not a comedian fan, but I did force a small "Ha Ha". Overall, she won't make it far.

I won't be surprised if the ratings are down this season. I'm very disappointed with AGT so far. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, anthonyd46 said:

Angel Garcia, Singer

Bensax International, Saxophonist

Blue Tokyo, Acrobatic Dance Group

Bone Hampton, Stand-up Comedian 

Fratelli Rossi, Acrobatic Duo 

Jeffrey Li, Singer

Jules and Jerome, Teeterboard Duo

Kazi, Singer

Ms. Trysh, Singer 

Noah Guthrie, Singer

Oliver Graves, Stand-up Comedian

Quin and Misha, Ballroom Dance Duo

The PAC Dance Team, Dance Group

The Savitsky Cats, Cat Act

UDI, Blacklight Group

We Three, Band

(2 more)

The (2 more) better be Sacred Riana and Troy James (creepy contortionist) or Imma be hella pissed.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, suebee12 said:

This might not be a popular thought but why don't they have an age limit? Five years old is way too young to be on a show like this...you know it is for the mother and not the little girl! To me this is  a kind of child abuse and in my opinion, she couldn't even really sing. At least the little girls last year had amazing voices...Sophie, not so much.

She reminds me of Baby Irene from Fernwood Tonight.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, anthonyd46 said:

So, does that mean that there will be still more the following week?  I didn't see Courtney "Joplin"s name.

(edited)

Spitting the OJ into the cup,  as opposed to the fountain effect of the water,  was disgusting! No way would anyone visiting Las Vegas pay to see these stupid frat boys!

I don't like any iteration of a chorus or a chorale. 

Shirley Temple,  I now understand  your superstardom. Wannabes are just....no. 

I hope the winner is Shin (like the body part ?) Lim! In my 68 years I have never seen as superb a sleight of hand act! ? ?

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 2

I know it's gross, but I love Human Fountain. Totally get why they were eliminated, they wouldn't play well in the lives as I'm sure most people find them disgusting, but I'll miss them.

Shin Lim has got to win this thing, man. That is insane.

I felt really bad for Reyes del Swing. It was pretty obvious from the start that they weren't going through when they were shoved in right before The Future Kingz, but they had the judges telling them they had to be in the lives and didn't know they were being montaged...they looked pissed not to get through, especially since the The Future Kingz were told they weren't as good technically. I'm sure they (and a lot of the other acts that get dumped before lives) got jerked around for months by the producers, I imagine it must be really frustrating.

No, not Lioz! Him and Human Fountain were my two big disappointments.

Two choir Golden Buzzers? I am both shocked and also not at all shocked at the same time.

I wouldn't call Hans good but I find him deeply entertaining. Every time he says "honeeyyyyyy" I giggle.

Oh cool, so Hunter Price was a big waste of time? Awesome. Ya know, his first audition made me so angry but the more I think about it, the more I realize it was one of the least staged things we've seen on this show in a while--I mean we saw the whole formula completely fall apart in front of our eyes. He's a white dude with a guitar, a staple for this show, but he's not particularly good or memorable. So they had to dig for a bizarre and tragic backstory he could use as a crutch and he...didn't have that either. Then he was put through to judge cuts despite none of the judges being particularly enthusiastic about him and shit the bed here too. Boy bye.

...except he's been replaced by Joseph O'Brien, who is equally as mediocre but is cute and charming the producers appear to just be forcing themselves to love him as they need someone to draw in the teen girl audience. I know it's all staged, but it really is jarring to see the judges fawn over certain acts and not put them through, and then kinda just shrug this guy into the lives.

40 minutes ago, Babalooie said:

So, does that mean that there will be still more the following week?  I didn't see Courtney "Joplin"s name.

There are four rounds of judge cuts, but you won't see Courtney in any of them--she was Howie's Golden Buzzer, which means she skipped judge cuts and went directly to the live shows. She'll be back, and I'm dreading it.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Babalooie said:

She too busy basking in her 41 million views. You will see her in the live shows cause of the golden buzzer along with :

Angel City Corale (Olivia Munn Golden Buzzer "Choir with suits" Judge cuts)

Voices of Hope (Ken Jeong Golden Buzzer "Young girls choir" Judge cuts)

Makalya Phillips (Heidi Golden Buzzer "Another teenage singer" Auditions)

Amanda Mena (Mel B Golden Buzzer "The bullying girl" Auditions)

Courtney Hadwin (Howie's Golden Buzzer "Janis Joplin" Auditions)

Michael Ketterer (Simon's Golden Buzzer "Guy with all the kids" Auditions)

Zurcaroh (Tyra's Golden Buzzer "Dance Group" Auditions)

Considering Golden Buzzers are undefeated since they changed the rules in Season 10 its highly likely one of the 9 golden buzzer acts wins.

Edited by anthonyd46
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, anthonyd46 said:

She too busy basking in her 41 million views. You will see her in the live shows cause of the golden buzzer along with :

Angel City Corale (Olivia Munn Golden Buzzer "Choir with suits" Judge cuts)

Voices of Hope (Ken Jeong Golden Buzzer "Young girls choir" Judge cuts)

Makalya Phillips (Heidi Golden Buzzer "Another teenage singer" Auditions)

Amanda Mena (Mel B Golden Buzzer "The bullying girl" Auditions)

Courtney Hadwin (Howie's Golden Buzzer "Janis Joplin" Auditions)

Michael Ketterer (Simon's Golden Buzzer "Guy with all the kids" Auditions)

Zurcaroh (Tyra's Golden Buzzer "Dance Group" Auditions)

Considering Golden Buzzers are undefeated since they changed the rules in Season 10 its highly likely one of the 9 golden buzzer acts wins.

I've already forgotten who half these people are.

• Love 4
(edited)

There was zero suspense during the cuts when Simon said that only of the three singers was going through. Gee, do you think it could be the one who was given the "second chance" to sing something else? Especially since the other two singers were rather meanly put down after they sang.

Joseph's second song was as boring as his first. Is there a law on AGT against singing an upbeat, fun song? I will say that he has some talent, but zero originality. I generally detest the little kid singers, but I believe I'd rather hear Little Sophie sing another Sinatra song than hear more of Joseph's sensitive young man navel gazing.  And listen to his "maybe now I can get a girlfriend" schtick.

On the first appearance by Hans, I really think Heidi believed he was German. Please God, tell me that she's figured it out by now and was just playing along. I thought he was funnier the first time. I didn't watch the Prince Poppycock season. What he reminds me of is Sascha Baron Cohen's Bruno character.  Though Hans is not nearly as good an actor as SBC.

The lady comic was definitely not as funny this week. I suspect she used all her best jokes in her first audition. Now she's relying on making jokes about her appearance. She's getting way overpraised by the judges. Because they can be all PC by showing that looks don't matter. Actually, they do, and that's why they like her. Does Howie really think she's "beautiful?"  Isn't that sort of condescending? And I think that all her crying undercuts the "I'm a tough cookie" persona. (And yes, I was wondering how she had two such good looking daughters. Because I'm shallow. And not PC).

Speaking of PC, the cynic in me thinks that the racially diverse group of older folks is kind of a gimmick, because who's going to want to say anything negative about them?

I was surprised the Future Kingz made it over the salsa group from Columbia, as I haven't seen them doing anything that stands out from other hip hop dance troupes. Whereas I think the Colombians had an interesting and original routine. But they didn't have a little kid. That's their big mistake. Without their little kid I don't think the Kingz would've gotten past the first week.

Is it just me, or did the "bullied" jump rope girl totally lose her accent this week?

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, bluepiano said:

Is it just me, or did the "bullied" jump rope girl totally lose her accent this week?

I doubt that it's just you. I noticed it too.

Unfortunately I knew that the dance group from Columbia were not going through. Especially when edited next to Future Kingz...although I preferred the former. Hopefully they are brought back as a Wild Card.

(edited)

I thought there was something a little phony about her in her first audition, when she threw in the "I was bullied" story out of left field.

I was just in Vegas and saw many prominent billboards for Mat Franco.  For a magician, winning this show is huge, unlike the singers, who tend to disappear. I was glad that both magicians went through yesterday, instead of the usual "we have to pick one," since their acts are so different.

I agree with what someone wrote earlier, that it's hard to imagine a close-up sleight of hand artist having a successful Vegas show, since the Vegas magicians all do big stage illusions. But AGT really isn't about finding a Vegas act, no matter how much they say that. It's a TV show.

The weird thing about watching Shin Lim is that there were times when it looked like there was an actual edit in the video tape. He'd wave his hands and the whole image would sort of jump. I need to watch it again. I would hate to think that the producers are using edits to "enhance" the act.

Does anyone have any idea how Rob Lake did that? We've seen many similar illusions, but the speed with which that happened was crazy. When an illusion is that good I really don't care whether the packaging is "corny" or not. (Isn't all magic a bit corny? What would you call David Copperfield's act? A couple of seasons ago on AGT there was that married couple who dressed everything up in all kinds of pseudo-mystical mumbo jumbo, which I found annoying. I'd rather just see the illusion delivered straight, without the pretense that what we're seeing is "supernatural.")

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 3
Just now, atlantaloves said:

Normally the trick that Rob Lake used is to simply use your twin. They have been doing it for hundreds of years. Yep. 

Damn! If only I hadn't reabsorbed my twin in the womb, I could have been a star!! 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

Normally the trick that Rob Lake used is to simply use your twin. They have been doing it for hundreds of years. Yep. 

And as anyone who's seen The Prestige knows, if you don't have a twin, you just call up Nikola Tesla and he'll make you as many as you like!

• Love 3

I fully support Hans and the short-waisted woman from the trailer park.  You go, weirdo underdogs!

Geez, I can understand Shin Lem developing carpal tunnel syndrome.  My tendons were screaming just watching him.

I didn't see them in the first round, so I enjoyed the spitting.  Who knew you could finesse such a thing?  I loved the "poof of mist" effect.

For entertainment purposes, however, gulping down another man's warm raw egg spew was something of an error in judgment.

• Love 4
(edited)

Sorry that Lioz didn't make the cut.  Not surprising though, since Heidi didn't like him.  If I were the guest judge, I would have given him the golden buzzer.  However, I get the feeling that the guest judges are told who to give the buzzer too (or maybe given a choice of a few acts).  They always buzz acts that would make it through anyway instead of buzzing acts that they loved but are at risk of going home - like Lioz.  

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 2

Worst fortnight of jidges cuts evah.  Just wow.  I honestly had trouble filling in the final two spots in my mind.  I'd bet money that at least one of the acts we got in montage deserved it over the dancers and singer who intentionally butchered Kevin Cronin's song.  

The only real passion I had was in having the two magicians getting through.  As the show wore on, I felt a lot better about their chances.  But, I don't trust TPTB a whit.  Happily, the lads made it through.

Olivia was the biggest nothing jidge in AGT histoire.  Tyra is a non-entity, thankfully.  

Did the Colombians get cut due to travel costs?  Yup.

For a magician, winning this show is huge, unlike the singers, who tend to disappear.

Which is ironic, because it's usually the magicians who try to disappear.

More seriously, I think although the Vegas Show is the stated explanation, the essence of an act is whether the talent translates on television.  Some acts are better live than on TV, which is why the judges' interference was relevant.

The robot guy who was in front of a green screen was the first time I've seen an act like that that the judges didn't love.  The first few times, it was cool; now it's to the point where you need something more (like the diabolo guy from a previous week.)

There was zero suspense during the cuts when Simon said that only of the three singers was going through. Gee, do you think it could be the one who was given the "second chance" to sing something else?

I found this one of the most grating parts of the episode.  It was either producer interference to sing the first song, or the guy made the wrong choice.  Either way, stop it, show. 

• Love 1
On 7/28/2018 at 3:13 PM, needschocolate said:

Sorry that Lioz didn't make the cut.  Not surprising though, since Heidi didn't like him.  If I were the guest judge, I would have given him the golden buzzer.  However, I get the feeling that the guest judges are told who to give the buzzer too (or maybe given a choice of a few acts).  They always buzz acts that would make it through anyway instead of buzzing acts that they loved but are at risk of going home - like Lioz.  

I felt that the choir Ken gave the golden buzzer to (young girls one) was the first act in a long time I didn't think was a guarantee to go through without the golden buzzer. I think they had a decent chance, but not a 100% one like most golden buzzer acts seem to have.

• Love 2
On 7/25/2018 at 1:35 PM, lynxfx said:

I watch on Hulu the next day; it's available at 2 a.m. after the live network show airs.  The two hour show is then 1 hour 25 minutes, which mean y'all who watch it live have 35 minutes of commercials to contend with.

On 7/25/2018 at 11:52 AM, lb60 said:

I'm just going to give Shin Lim the win, so I can be finished with this awful, awful season.

That whole thing with Joseph was complete bullshit.  

Mel, stop with the play by play.  Howie isn't an idiot.  Neither is the audience.

Simon, do not embarrass your adorable son on national television again.  It isn't funny and that part could have easily been edited out. 

This season blows!

If a magician wins this thing, then it should be Shin Lim.  He's got it all; great magic and stage presence.  I also like his hairstyle.  ;)  (My shallow note of the day.)

Mel should just stop everything.  She gets on my nerves the most, followed closely by Tyra.

Simon trying to hook up his 4-year-old son with the 5-year-old girl was ridiculous and embarrassing him on national TV for ratings was odious.  Hey Simon, when your kid has some talent, why don't you put him on as a contestant.  Until then, leave him out of the show.  He's cute, we get that, but we're here for the acts not the family members.  Thank you.

Edited by CelticBlackCat
Posted comment about Simon's Songus Interruptus Victim in wrong episode thread!
  • Love 1