Type keyword(s) to search

S09.03 An Oasis in the Desert 2018.08.09

The trucks travel to Phoenix and meet Tyler Florence at a Sonic Drive-In for a blind taste test and original savory dish challenge inspired by Sonic's signature drinks. One team member is left operating his truck solo when his teammates leave the race, and the day's sales in Phoenix are close, with the top four teams separated by less than $60. At Rawhide Ranch, the truck that made the least money is sent home, and the four remaining teams move forward.

For 1.3 million flavors Sonic, those drinks actually sounded rather repetitive. 

I appreciate the show trying to make it seem like the Worst Cooks team didn't sell anything, but this one was pretty pre-ordained. 

• Love 1

Beyond lousy that Ian’s team left the competition and left him all by himself.  Something MUST have happened.  I felt badly for him but no way could he move forward.  Too many moving parts to these challenges for someone to go solo.

Thrilled that Chops’ Shop won and did well today.  Same with the New England team.  Those NE guys are so kind to their wacky “sales lady” — they are good souls.  I was delighted that Mobile Moo Shu didn’t win yet again.  I mean, c’mon.

Oh, I do love Sonic.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

I missed the very beginning. Why did Ian’s teammates leave? Unless it was a family emergency, that was a dick move.

He said his wife had to go back to handle their businesses and the other woman had to leave to take care of her father. It seemed weird.

Also, I have to assume that his freelance help was sent by production because I can’t imagine his first customer of the day had several hours to hang out and help him.

• Love 6

Thank you, Food Network, for gutting what used to be one of my favorite shows.

Everything screams "budget cuts".  The weird, wacky challenges are gone, and Tyler seems to be sleepwalking through this season.  The sudden disappearance of two of the Buns & Thighs team was downright strange.

I kept hoping the Wings driver would knock over that tree as a salute to the good old days, but we didn't even get that.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

The women said the drink tasted like a Shirley Temple but than guessed ginger, so weird.

A Shirley Temple is made with ginger ale and grenadine (cherry syrup).   Although the cloying sweetness of the grenadine is overpowering, you should taste ginger.  

1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

He said his wife had to go back to handle their businesses and the other woman had to leave to take care of her father. It seemed weird.

Also, I have to assume that his freelance help was sent by production because I can’t imagine his first customer of the day had several hours to hang out and help him.

I assume he and his wife got into a fight, she bailed and her friend (who had no stake in this and was doing it as a favor) wasn't staying to work with the husband.  Alternatively, the friend bailed because she had no stake in this and didn't want to hassle with it, the husband got mad and the wife walked too.  Whatever happened, I ain't buying the cover story.

• Love 15
5 minutes ago, Maverick said:

grenadine (cherry syrup).   

I always had it with 7up not ginger ale. Grenadine isn’t cherry syrup it used to be pomegranate but is now usually made with a bunch of artificial crap like high fructose corn syrup and food coloring.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

This show is bad about people suddenly leaving without viewers getting a decent explanation.  I’m still annoyed with that early season where a whole team got sent home and the show wouldn’t tell us why.  If tonight’s loss of team members was due to some kind of marital spat that sure was some fight, to give up a chance at $50,000. I’ll never understand some people.

• Love 3

That was so strange that the 2 women left Buns & Thighs. I Googled, but didn't find anything on why. I vaguely remember in the first episode the wife saying something about how Ian was always arguing or yelling or something like that, so I'm going along with the argument speculation.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, biakbiak said:

6 hours ago, Maverick said:

I assume he and his wife got into a fight, she bailed and her friend (who had no stake in this and was doing it as a favor) wasn't staying to work with the husband.  Alternatively, the friend bailed because she had no stake in this and didn't want to hassle with it, the husband got mad and the wife walked too.  Whatever happened, I ain't buying the cover story.

Something didn't make sense, that's for sure.  I can accept the friend had to go back to take care of her father if some health crisis came up suddenly.  But the wife having to go back to handle their business made no sense - they didn't plan on being away that long?  They didn't have some sort of plan already in place to take care of the business?  Since I've largely forgotten every episode almost immediately after it aired I don't remember his wife saying he always yelled or argued in an earlier episode.  Clearly something broke down between Ian and his wife.  Ian did work his ass off trying to make it work but he had no chance.  Even if he scraped by this week he would have been toast the next.

• Love 7

The third person was the wife’s mom, not her friend. 

Wouldn’t all three have to sign a contract before filming starts? You know, to prevent something like this from happening...

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I wonder if production knew it was illegal to park downtown and just didn't bother to mention it?

I find it weird it only became an issue the second day. Both times the Moo shu women said they were near the convention center and they didn’t actually get a ticket. Most real food tickets deal with actual tickets all the time and know it’s part of business so I assumed it was something to make it seem like Buns and Thighs were still in contention.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I wonder if production knew it was illegal to park downtown and just didn't bother to mention it?

In past seasons, haven't teams been pre-warned which blocks they can and can't park in?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Wonder?  Who do you think sent the cop to ticket them?  I don't have a problem with the Moo Shu girls telling the cops about the Just Wing It - they were stalking them, hoping to cash in on their location and deserved to be moved as well.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

“Pajama Day” at a business? Is that actually a thing now?

I don't know if this really happens at a business but I do know that on Black Friday at the outlet mall near where I used to live they had specials for the folks who show up in jammies. Don't know if they still do this or not, but I knew a lot of people who will do anything for a bargain! Me, I stayed home away from all the crowds...no sale is worth getting trampled!

3 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

It's teambuilding / forced fun / "look how quirky we are".  Depends on the character of the business. Could be "we know we're working hard right now, so this is a reminder not to take everything so seriously." Or it could be less-than-a-token gesture.

1 hour ago, Jersey Guy 87 said:

Wonder?  Who do you think sent the cop to ticket them?  

I don't know if the producers were behind the first apperance, but the camera was definitely well-positioned on the Wings truck to catch the guy pulling up.

Edited by Amarsir
  • Love 1

I think all of the parking situations are manipulated/predetermined.  Most large cities have regulations and issue permits and so on for food trucks.  The producers have to take care of things like that before the filming begins.  I don't believe for one minute that contestants just drive around and randomly find a space large enough for the truck and chase car and the cameramen just happen to be in the area so they can get it on film.  I also don't believe that contestants call up bars and festivals and various places of business and say, "I'm Joe Blow you never heard of from out of state and I want to park on your property" and no one ever asks questions or sends them to city hall or says "No."

Edited by mlp
correction
  • Love 8
31 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Why would a local food truck want one of the contestants to park next to their truck and take away business from them?

I think because they probably are trying to help them sell more.

17 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I missed the very beginning. Why did Ian’s teammates leave? Unless it was a family emergency, that was a dick move.

It was very strange. It was very strange that they left. Marla went home to take care of her father. Victoria should have stayed. It was probably not due to family, but more about her business crashing. It was very tough. First one-man band in GFTR history.

5 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

It usually happens at schools during special events. I haven’t seen it at a business, though.

• Love 1

The whole Buns and Thighs thing seems scripted. Do we even know the contestants full names to look them up. I am from Chicago and curious to know if I have ever been in one of their establishments.

2 hours ago, mlp said:

I think all of the parking situations are manipulated/predetermined.  Most large cities have regulations and issue permits and so on for food trucks.  The producers have to take care of things like that before the filming begins.  I don't believe for one minute that contestants just drive around and randomly find a space large enough for the truck and chase car and the cameramen just happen to be in the area so they can get it on film.  I also don't believe that contestants call up bars and festivals and various places of business and say, "I'm Joe Blow you never heard of from out of state and I want to park on your property" and no one ever asks questions or sends them to city hall or says "No."

I'm sure there's a lot more to it than we ever see, but it's probably not that interesting. Getting permits for each city is just paperwork. And I can see legit synergy, if the food truck adds to the business instead of taking away. This is reinforced by the case this season where the store owners were fine with it but the property owner chased them out.

It also seems reasonable that food trucks selling different types of food might benefit from being in a specific area. The same reason gas stations are on opposite corners, car lots are in the same part of town, and mall stands like being in the food court. Being clustered attracts attention. (Especially if the newcomer brings the excitement of a TV camera.) 

That last part though probably shouldn't be underestimated. "Can I park here?" "I don't know..." "It's for Food Network tv." "Oh, OK I guess." I don't know if it's enough pull to get you a warning instead of a ticket, but it certainly makes everything sound more official and approved even if you're a clunky amateur.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Enigma X said:

The whole Buns and Thighs thing seems scripted. Do we even know the contestants full names to look them up. I am from Chicago and curious to know if I have ever been in one of their establishments.

Here you go: : Buns N’ Thighs – Chicago, Illinois (Marla Nones, Victoria Elena Nones, Ian M. Sherwin

• Love 2
20 hours ago, mlp said:

I think all of the parking situations are manipulated/predetermined.  Most large cities have regulations and issue permits and so on for food trucks.

I live in a burb of Phoenix and I won't even drive downtown because I don't want to hunt for a parking space.  Of course, that's true for every city I've lived in/near. 

I liked the truck that found a food truck festival and just blended right in.  (Although I have to think that the other trucks had to pay some kind of entry fee to get in.)  Instead of spending hours each week on parking issues and contestants screaming at passers-by to develop their business, I'd rather see FN just book an outdoor venue, throw up some publicity, put all the trucks there, and let the best food win.

And challenge after challenge, season after season, I get virtually no sense of the city being visited.  A few shots of cacti isn't Phoenix.

• Love 10

It was nice to see New England win. I just wish the lady would talk less (or they show her less). Chop Shop's food looks so good and I am so happy they won the bonus.  It's weird, though, to see two Worst Cooks in America (Just Wing It) compete on this show.  That is some good help Tyler and Anne did, lol

• Love 1

I realized this last episode that the loud woman on the New England truck reminds me of Gayle from Bob's Burgers. 

image.png.764f545578bd5b4df8bb86fefafa293b.png

4 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Instead of spending hours each week on parking issues and contestants screaming at passers-by to develop their business, I'd rather see FN just book an outdoor venue, throw up some publicity, put all the trucks there, and let the best food win.

And challenge after challenge, season after season, I get virtually no sense of the city being visited.  A few shots of cacti isn't Phoenix.

I agree with both sentiments. I think it would be much more interesting if FN could find (or create) a food truck festival and just have the trucks go head-to-head.

And what is the point of moving from city to city if we get no notion of the place? this episode was particularly bad about that, since they didn't even use a local food for the challenge. Sonic drinks? Please.

• Love 5
On 8/10/2018 at 4:37 PM, LittleIggy said:

Why would a local food truck want one of the contestants to park next to their truck and take away business from them?

There’s a theory that people are more likely to stop and dine in areas where there are multiple food options.  Having several places in close proximity to choose from is apparently more appealing than just one option.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

There’s a theory that people are more likely to stop and dine in areas where there are multiple food options.  Having several places in close proximity to choose from is apparently more appealing than just one option.

Makes sense. Thanks.

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:34 AM, GaT said:

That was so strange that the 2 women left Buns & Thighs. I Googled, but didn't find anything on why. I vaguely remember in the first episode the wife saying something about how Ian was always arguing or yelling or something like that, so I'm going along with the argument speculation.

Someone asked Tyler on Twitter why there was only 1 person on the truck. He replied that apparently there was an off camera fight.

• Love 6
On 8/10/2018 at 12:57 PM, LittleIggy said:

I wondered if it was a Saturday and they went in for some sort of special project or something. Since there also happened to be a food truck festival that day, it probably wasn't a random Tuesday. 

The New England guys would have better outcomes if they didn't have a crazy lady screaming in front of their truck. I'm sorry, but if I'm walking by a food truck and some woman is yelling nonsense at me, I'm not stopping, no matter what they are selling. 

There must have been one hell of a fight on Buns and Thighs for two of them to walk. Now I'm dying to know if he found his locks changed on the doors when he got home!  

• Love 12
On 8/11/2018 at 8:32 PM, Chyromaniac said:

My hometown is a retail hotspot in the state of Ohio. There's just under 50,000 people, but the retail stores and restaurants rank 6th and 7th respectively in the state. If something new wants to break into Ohio, it's usually in that town. There's one particular stretch, restaurant row, where it's literally one parking lot right on top of the next, for about half a mile on both sides of the road. It's a mix of fast food and casual. The "fanciest" is Red Lobster so its not exactly anything to wow the world, but there's like 15 places to chose from all within minutes end to end. No matter what night of the week you go out, the majority of the places are relatively busy. I swear no one cooks anymore, myself included! LOL!

• Love 3
On 10/8/2018 at 12:34 AM, GaT said:

I asked myself the same question, I had to rewatch the 3rd episode and at the beginning Ian says that they (Victoria and Marla - one his wife the other his mother in law) had to go back to take care of his father in law... that makes total sense that they left to take care of him and of course that was the ruin of the Buns N' Thighs as they lost due to lack of staff.

had to go back to take care of his father in law... that makes total sense that they left to take care of him 

That doesn't make sense to me at all.  If I planned to be on a TV show that offered a reward I wanted but would take me away from a family member who needed care for weeks, I would make arrangements for that person's well-being long before I left.  I know that emergencies happen but I'm inclined to believe that there was some big falling out between the man who stayed and his wife and her mother and they stormed out and caring for father was a made for TV excuse.

• Love 4
On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:14 AM, chessiegal said:

Someone asked Tyler on Twitter why there was only 1 person on the truck. He replied that apparently there was an off camera fight.

Quoting myself from above as to Tyler's explanation why the women left.

• Love 3
On 8/10/2018 at 2:12 AM, biakbiak said:

I always had it with 7up not ginger ale. Grenadine isn’t cherry syrup it used to be pomegranate but is now usually made with a bunch of artificial crap like high fructose corn syrup and food coloring.

Last week that was a question at the trivia contest we attend . Our team all guessed cherry, only one team got the right answer, pomegranate. Interesting to hear it is made with corn syrup now. 

The Buns & Thighs scandal is extremely weird. Since it is only week 3, and this is all previously recorded, it would have made more sense to just edit them out of the first two episodes, and tell the single dude to hit the bricks before they even filmed this episode, since his team failed to adhere to their side of the bargain. Also  they never said how much he sold, which would have been nice to know. 

The parking issues are another issue that is a head scratcher. Is that producer injected drama, or is this show so amateurish and low budget that they don’t have anyone assigned to research local regulations, and let the contestants, who don’t even know their destination until right before driving there, deal with it? Coupled with the poorly running truck and the broken generator in Episode 1,  my bets are on FN doing a horrendous job of preparing for this season, cutting costs as much as they can. 

Finally, the New England Grill lady can leave anytime now.  I hit the mute button when her caterwauling begins. As another poster mentioned, and in line with Neck Tattoo dude, she is the type of person you instinctively turn away from when seeing or hearing them on a city street. 

My guess for finals are Chop Shop Bubba and the Three Moo Shu ladies. 

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, MajorWoody said:

Last week that was a question at the trivia contest we attend . Our team all guessed cherry, only one team got the right answer, pomegranate. Interesting to hear it is made with corn syrup now. 

I always assumed it cherry because when I had it, grenadine and maraschino cherry syrup were used interchangeably and it tasted the same to me. and both were cloyingly sweet  Either way, it was always made with ginger ale.     

17 hours ago, MajorWoody said:

The Buns & Thighs scandal is extremely weird. Since it is only week 3, and this is all previously recorded, it would have made more sense to just edit them out of the first two episodes, and tell the single dude to hit the bricks before they even filmed this episode, since his team failed to adhere to their side of the bargain. Also  they never said how much he sold, which would have been nice to know. 

The parking issues are another issue that is a head scratcher. Is that producer injected drama, or is this show so amateurish and low budget that they don’t have anyone assigned to research local regulations, and let the contestants, who don’t even know their destination until right before driving there, deal with it? Coupled with the poorly running truck and the broken generator in Episode 1,  my bets are on FN doing a horrendous job of preparing for this season, cutting costs as much as they can. 

Finally, the New England Grill lady can leave anytime now.  I hit the mute button when her caterwauling begins. As another poster mentioned, and in line with Neck Tattoo dude, she is the type of person you instinctively turn away from when seeing or hearing them on a city street. 

My guess for finals are Chop Shop Bubba and the Three Moo Shu ladies. 

Yeah, and where did Tyler say they got in a “fight”? Can I see the “fight”? Is it somewhere online?

My downtown area I haven’t seen food trucks in, so it really doesn’t matter if you can’t park in certain areas at our downtown city.

I wouldn’t want to buy some food from a truck with a lady with an awful voice screaming at me. That’s how you get people to NOT buy your food.

I think the final two are going to be New England Grill and Just Wing It. The reason I didn’t say Moo Shu is that they are actually attracting people, but they aren’t really selling top-class food.

One final question: if you get eliminated from GFTR, is there permission to make your truck into an actual food truck?

42 minutes ago, Simon47 said:

Yeah, and where did Tyler say they got in a “fight”? Can I see the “fight”? Is it somewhere online?

He answered a question someone asked him on Twitter. He said the fight happened off-camera.

• Love 1