Type keyword(s) to search

Cast in Other Roles

Taraji P. Henson has been cast as Cookie in Empire, Fox's new hip hop tv drama also starring Terrence Howard. Between the two of them, I would guess this show is going to get a lot of publicity! RIP Carter, but pretty exciting that we will get to see her back on tv again!

Welcome to EMPIRE, a sexy and powerful new drama about the head of a music empire (Terrence Howard) whose three sons and ex-wife (Taraji P. Henson) all battle for his throne. Set to an original soundtrack written and produced by hip-hop hitmaker Timbaland. Coming to FOX in 2015 (after AMERICAN IDOL).

From Academy Award nominee Lee Daniels ("Lee Daniels' The Butler," "Precious") and Emmy Award winner Danny Strong ("Lee Daniels' The Butler," "Game Change"), comes EMPIRE, a sexy and powerful new drama about the head of a music empire whose three sons and ex-wife all battle for his throne. LUCIOUS LYON (Academy Award nominee Terrence Howard, "Crash," "Hustle & Flow") is the king of hip-hop.

An immensely talented artist, the CEO of Empire Entertainment and a former street thug, his reign has been unchallenged for years. But all that changes, when he learns he has a disease that is going to render him crippled and incapacitated in a matter of three years. The clock is ticking, and he must groom one of his three sons to take over his crowning achievement, without destroying his already fractured family. Lucious' favorite is his youngest son,

HAKEEM (newcomer Bryshere Gray), a gifted musician and a spoiled playboy who values fame over hard work.

The middle son, JAMAL (Jussie Smollett, "North," "The Mighty Ducks"), is a sensitive soul and a musical prodigy who, unlike Hakeem, shies away from the spotlight. Jamal also happens to be gay, which infuriates and embarrasses his father.

ANDRE (Trai Byers, "90210"), the eldest son, is CFO of Empire Entertainment. Wharton-educated with a brilliant business mind, Andre lacks the charisma that Lucious believes is crucial to running the company. But in his quest for power, Andre is assisted by his manipulative and like-minded wife, RHONDA (Kaitlin Doubleday, "Hung," "Catch Me If You Can").

As Lucious prompts his sons to vie for the empire, his plans are thrown into chaos when his ex-wife, COOKIE (Academy Award and Emmy Award nominee Taraji P. Henson, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"), mysteriously emerges seven years early from prison, where she's been for almost two decades. Brash and fearless, she sees herself as the sacrificial lamb who built this empire with Lucious and then took the fall for running the drugs that financed Lucious' early career.

For now, Lucious remains firmly in control of Empire Entertainment. He is attended to by his hard-working assistant, BECKY (guest star and Academy Award nominee Gabourey Sidibe, "American Horror Story," "Precious"), and relies on longtime friend and Chairman of the Board VERNON TURNER (Malik Yoba, "Revolution," "Girlfriends") for advice and support. He relies on a whole lot more from ANIKA GIBBONS (newcomer Grace Gealey), the head of A&R for Empire, and his current girlfriend.

As the Lyons slug it out, an emotional chess game begins that will either cause the family's destruction or redemption. Lives and loves will be lost as the complicated family will come together and fall apart over the elusive throne, all set to an original soundtrack written and produced by legendary hip-hop hitmaker Timbaland. Will the family unite and learn to love each other before it's too late? Love, war, family, sacrifice, money and music: this is the story of the Lyons' EMPIRE. EMPIRE is from Imagine Television in association with 20th Century Fox Television. The series is created by Lee Daniels and Danny Strong. The pilot is written by Daniels and Strong. The series is executive-produced by Daniels, Strong, Brian Grazer ("24," "Friday Night Lights," "Parenthood") and Francie Calfo ("Those Who Kill," GANG RELATED). Daniels directed the pilot.

Jim Caviezel's movie When the Game Stands Tall is set for an August 22 release date:

The journey of legendary football coach Bob Ladouceur (Jim Caviezel), who took the De La Salle High School Spartans from obscurity to a 151-game winning streak that shattered all records for any American sport.

The movie also stars Michael Chiklis and Laura Dern.

Amy Acker as Beatrice in Joss Whedon's "Much Ado About Nothing" was simply brilliant. She nailed the role. She was charming, beautiful, moving, lovely and everything that Beatrice is supposed to be. I was really surprised how much I love this movie. Amy Acker is so versatile and I wish people could see that especially those who constantly criticize her about her small voice. I also wish people could move past their anger for Carter being killed off and Root now being an ally. It is a different show now not because of Root but because JN and GP decided that the show needed to move forward. They should also realized that this show is an ensemble cast. It is not just Finch and Reese. Michael Emmerson supports the women getting more involved because he says it takes the pressures off of him and Jim. So fans should do the same.

Another movie I love which I just saw last night is an Independent Film "Sironia". It is a simple, sad and beautiful movie. Amy was again marvelous in the role of Molly. Its based on a true story of singer/musician Wes Cunningham. A must see.

Edited by IndependentMind
  • Love 4

Saw a trailer at the theatre today for the football move that Caveziel will be in; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2247476/

Lots of sniffling over a lost game, it looked like... But the JC fans may like it.http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/whenthegamestandstall/

I saw this movie Saturday. In a full theater, no less, which is a big improvement over the last JC movie I saw in the theater, where Mr. abstract and I were literally the only ones in there. (It was the Bobby Jones movie.) I wouldn't characterize it as focused on a lost game. The lost game was a catalyst for character growth, I guess you could call it. Obviously, I was prepared to like the movie because I'm a JC fan, but I would have liked it anyway. He was a perfect fit for the role, though.

I fell head of heels for JC in Count of Monte Cristo and Angel Eyes with JLo no less.  It never mattered to me about the LTOC/Mel Gibson association.  Good to hear he's got a movie coming out, I'll watch for that.  

I thought Amy Acker was instantly wicked as a fairy tale spider woman in Grimm.  

I  would actually like to see Cookie cross paths with Carter..I think it would be hilarious to see them interact with one another. They are so different and it is a testament to Taraji's talent...Plus Taraji was at a conference with the cast of her new show and she threw some shade on Person of interest..I guess her split from the show was not as amicable as it was previously reported by her and the show...

I remember the show sending her out on a publicity tour after Carter was killed off to minimize the backlash...People were upset with her death and it looked bad that the only black woman on the show had died....

Edited by Apprentice79

Plus Taraji was at a conference with the cast of her new show and she threw some shade on Person of interest..I guess her split from the show was not as amicable as it was previously reported by her and the show...

Yeah, a lot of folks kind of suspected at the time that she was having to be discreet about whatever actually happened so she wouldn't get a reputation and have trouble finding work. But hey, her new show has almost twice the viewers of The Show They Wanted to Make (which is to say, the ratings they used to have), and four times as many viewers in the target demographic, with no lead in and on Fox, so good on her.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

Started watching "Life" on nbc.com. The old Sarah Shahi series with Damian Lewis. I had forgotten how good that show was. I'm excited to keep watching. Makes me miss Shaw a little less.

• Love 1

I think they usually do a decent job with the casting for PoI but Dominic just doesn't work for me. I decided to look up Winston Duke/Dominic on IMDB. His only other credit is a L&O: SVU episode. Curious casting decision.

Winston Duke may have lacked TV acting credits, but he's not lacking in training:  He has an MFA from Yale's School of Drama (Class of 2013), and an undergraduate degree from SUNY Buffalo.  Also noteworthy:  He was born in Trinidad & Tobago.

(edited)

Looks like Adria Arjona (Dani Silva, the POI who was an IA agent in the police academy), will be playing Dorothy on NBC's Emerald City.  Between this and getting a supporting role on the second season of True Detective, her career seems like it might be taking off.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 1

Yeah, it was a pretty stock/cliche role, but she had good chemistry with the lead dude. Their (I presume!) ONS was believable. That signature scene was actually kind of sweet.

Most of the news items suggested that Acker will appear in more than one episode...if it's true, wonder if it's going to be a low-key dating or a pregnancy scare or if she's going to get pulled further into lead dude vs brother drama or something.

Most of the news items suggested that Acker will appear in more than one episode...if it's true, wonder if it's going to be a low-key dating or a pregnancy scare or if she's going to get pulled further into lead dude vs brother drama or something.

I would love to see Amy again and again in Suits as a normal human person with normal human frailties, unlike God-Mode Root, who I love in equal measure.  

I was watching Leverage (a guilty pleasure) the other night, and who should show up as a bad guy but Kevin Chapman.

Please don't call Leverage a guilty pleasure. As far as I'm concerned it's one of the best TV shows made.  But it was interesting to encounter Chapman during one of my regular full-series Leverage re-watches.

• Love 3

Has there been any backstory on why TPH was written out? A friend insisted she'd made a big salary increase demand, but I never saw any verification of that.

The producers have said since it happened that they planned to kill Carter from the beginning, as the kick starter to the story of the Machine, and I don't see why they'd make it up. It totally played out on screen the way they're describing it being the switch in the direction of the show and makes complete sense. TPH also did a lot of press (I believe that night she was on Letterman) when the episode aired. If she'd been killed off out of a pay despute or anything else (acting up on set, etc), I don't think the PR would have been as it was.

Leverage is a favorite of mine too! I love when fandoms collide.

• Love 1

Please don't call Leverage a guilty pleasure. As far as I'm concerned it's one of the best TV shows made.  But it was interesting to encounter Chapman during one of my regular full-series Leverage re-watches.

Hey, my bad - I'm happy to take the "guilty" out and just leave it as pleasure, because I love Leverage almost as much as PoI!

Just saw "Spring Awakening" on Broadway, with the always-awesome Camryn Manheim...she played multiple roles in the Deaf West production of the award-winning musical. If you're in the NYC area, go see it! (We got our tickets on TDF.)

Also on Broadway, Leslie Odom, Jr., as the antagonist in the megahit "Hamilton." How apropos that he went from playing a character named after a revolutionary firebrand to Aaron Burr, another founding father (who went down in history as the man who killed Aaron Burr.) Oops! Should I have spoilered that? It happened in the 1800s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3Q9WuKOOSo

And Odom sings one of my favorite songs (the original cast recording of this show has been in nonstop rotation at my house for ages).

Edited by kwnyc
  • Love 1

Sarah Shahi has been cast as Nancy Drew in CBS' in-name-only pilot Drew (Deadline.com).  Per Deadline and TVLine, Drew has first dibs on Shahi in the seemingly unlikely scenario that PoI is renewed for another season.

Please let Nancy Drew be a mixture of Reese (Shahi's character from Life, not Caveziels' role here) and Shaw.

• Love 1

I like Shahi, but the "in-name-only" part of Just Here's description of the Nancy Drew series has me side-eyeing the project hard. It basically sounds like any other CBS procedural. Yaaaaaawn to THAT. On the other hand, I like Shahi and Anthony Edwards, so...dilemma.

• Love 2
(edited)

Why bother making it Nancy Drew if they're going to give her the most done-before and boring setting ever.  Unless we're going to see flashbacks to a teenage Nancy... look how the Mystery of the Antique Clock is totally relevant to this by-the-numbers murder case.  

I haven't seen Shahi in anything else, so it would be interesting to see her in a role where she can be more expressive with her emotions. Unless Nancy enlisted in the army and has shut down emotionally before joining the NYPD.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2

As the avatar might suggest, I wouldn't mind seeing Ms. Drew return to my screen. But I'd really miss Shahi here, because her character turned out so much better than I had expected. (I actually quit watching because she was made a regular. Netflix thankfully allowed me to see the error of my ways.)

Also, there's no way they're going to dye her hair red, she hasn't got the coloring, and I'd be really annoyed that one of few canonical redheaded characters should go brunette.

• Love 1

Not sure how to feel here. I pretty much adore Shahi and have watched all her gigs on tv. I liked her in Fairly Legal so I am guessing she can play the Drew role. But I would have to see what the plot line of the series...is there a twist in the approach like Elementary? The fact that Nancy would be a grown up is already a twist. Is she going to become like Jessica on Murder, She Wrote? 

Also, will CBS be owners of it should go past pilot? Hmmmm.

Well, there's always dvd s of Life and POI if I need any more Shahi. Can't have too much. 

• Love 1

Also, will CBS be owners of it should go past pilot? Hmmmm.

CBS owns the show which means they'll spite us by picking it up and renewing it for 5 seasons to enter syndication.

Now the mystery is: Finding Nancy Drew

.....Drew is not going forward at CBS but is being shopped to other outlets by CBS TV Studios.

Written/executive produced by Rater and Phelan, Drew stars Sarah Shahi as Nancy — now in her 30s — a detective for the NYPD where she investigates and solves crimes using her uncanny observational skills, all while navigating the complexities of life in a modern world. Anthony Edwards, Felix Solis and Rob McClure co-star in the project, also executive produced by Dan Jinks.

Nancy Drew Pilot Nixed at CBS

Deadline reports that the pilot tested well with audiences but was deemed “too female” for the network.

http://tvline.com/2016/05/15/nancy-drew-pilot-cancelled-cbs-sarah-shahi/

Another article... So the audience liked it but the CBS executives thought it was "too female".....  Who's watching your show?  The audience.  What should matter before you decide what shows to pick up? The audience’s opinion!  And who are 50% of the world’s population and thus 50% of their potential audience?  Women... Honestly will this network ever learn?

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Kate213 said:

What should matter before you decide what shows to pick up? The audience’s opinion!  And who are 50% of the world’s population and thus 50% of their potential audience?  Women... Honestly will this network ever learn?

I wish this were true, but what matters for the networks is always how much advertisers are willing to pay to advertise on a prime time show. For now they can sell ad time at a higher rate for shows that attract men than for shows that attract women, so that's what they go for. It makes me very sad because I've helplessly watched shows I really loved get axed just because I and people like me loved them, but it's their business.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 1

As someone who read many of the Nancy drew books growing up, I was interested when I read that a series was planned. After reading the description, however, I was...not. Why call the character Nancy Drew at all? I would've thought a series based on the books would've had a teenage girl solving mysteries with her friends and a period setting.

• Love 2