Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Double Dutch

• Start Topic

Faced with an agonizing dilemma, Desna and Dean take a road trip to seek guidance from a beloved childhood mentor; back in Palmetto, Jenn leans on Polly and Quiet Ann for help with a personal crisis; Virginia struggles to run the salon by herself.

(edited)

Zlata wants Ruval to marry Desna so he can have access to her properties. I still don't get it.

I wasn't feeling Desna's pain or the flashbacks, but the casting of young Desna was stellar. It does seem like she and Roller are on the way to a reunion.

Another enjoyable Virginia episode. She makes me smile. She was good with those kids.

Jennifer having sex with comatose Bryce grossed me out.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

wasn't feeling Desna's pain or the flashbacks, but the casting of young Desna was stellar

On twitter, someone posted it was Niecy Nash's daughter. Dia, in the role of tween Desna. 

Jen screwing Bryce out of his coma surprised then amused me. Bottle it, indeed.

Zlata is evil, threatening Roller that she would murder her own grandson in order to keep him in line. I still have my doubts that Bogdan is his biological child but he now cares for that child regardless. 

Hank is a stalker. It was bad enough he showed up at the hospital but then him out in the parking lot later? Yikes.

Dr. Ken really is the worst actor. First the commercial, then as an informant. 

I enjoyed Mrs. Wallace.  

• Love 5
(edited)

Yes, that was Niecy's daughter playing Teen Desna. Niecy's daughter is definitely her twin, and Niecy's HER mom's twin. Strong maternal genes in that family.

I loved the Mrs. Wallace scenes too. I also don't get the communal property thing with Ruval and Desna. Desna doesn't really have shit on her own, it doesn't make sense.

I feel like they can crank down the white trashiness between Jen and Bryce by a couple notches now. They are pushing them way over-the-top this season. Not looking forward to the Hank The Stalker crap.

Oh, Quiet Ann.......Bless your heart.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 3

OH!  B/c tween Desna was ON POINT.   That child looks like Niecy, so it makes sense if it is her daughter. 

Jen's screwing of coma Bryce was some Ryan Murphy shit.  

I hate myself for it, but I wouldn't mind a Desna/Roller reunion (if he treats her better than last time).  For the moment, I want Desna focused up and fierce.  Zlata and Ruval are cold hearted snakes.

Hank out of that window was disturbing. 

Dr. Ken the informant is hilarious. He's so terrible at everything in his life. 

Virginia being marginal competent and her sweet voicemail to Desna was actual nice character growth. 

• Love 11
(edited)
On 7/15/2018 at 11:01 PM, SimoneS said:

Zlata wants Ruval to marry Desna so he can have access to her properties. I still don't get it.

I wasn't feeling Desna's pain or the flashbacks, but the casting of young Desna was stellar. It does seem like she and Roller are on the way to a reunion.

Another enjoyable Virgina episode. She makes me smile. She was good with those kids.

This--so, so gross. It was rape. He was unconscious and could not consent.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 7

That was awful. 

So we’re supposed to root for the m’fing Dixie Mafia now? Or feel sorry, or have any goodwill, for Bryce for getting shot after jumping bad during that bitch-ass club evasion. His characterization has been terrible this season. Why should Jenn want him bad? Speaking shitty characterization, helter-skelter Roller looks like he smells like 3 day old balls sweat.  

Desna is a fool (again) for aligning with these hick-billy thugs. Dean was spot-on last year about her bad decision making.

I wanna get into the tired as fuck “black-women-can’t-find-a-man” trope. Cus the optics here? Just…wow! But I gotta get ready for work…

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, bombast said:

Dean was spot-on last year about her bad decision making.

Dean doesn't have much room to pass judgement, given his own recent career and dating choices imo.

• Love 4
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Dee said:

Dean doesn't have much room to pass judgement, given his own recent career and dating choices imo.

Dean is developmentally disabled. Desna is ________? Go ahead and fill in the blank.

Edited by bombast
damn typo
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Dee said:

Dean's disability has nothing to do with his bad choices. He's just as reckless as his sister.

Well, okay...if you say so. Cheers to Desna...and the Dixie Mafia.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, bombast said:

Desna is a fool (again) for aligning with these hick-billy thugs. Dean was spot-on last year about her bad decision making.

Well, nobody put a gun to her head to align herself with the "hick-billy thugs."  She could have lived a "straight" life if she had wanted to.  She's a criminal just like them and no better than they are, even if she deludes herself.    

• Love 3

Still have to wonder if Ruval is actually working Zlata.

Sylvia Day? Did she pay for product placement, lol? Actually she's a pretty good writer. Her Crossfire series was like if the 50 Shades books had been written by someone who was familiar with grammatical English at higher than a fifth grade level.

A shitkicker, from a line of shitkickers. I don't know about using that term to refer to a Black woman though. I've generally heard it used as a synonym for redneck or cowboy boots.

Buh bye, Chip. We hardly knew ye, you worthless traitor. (And geez, what kind of gun makes the person you shoot go flying into the air like that?)

Oh Polly. Honesty is not always the best policy. Now she's probably going to get turned into a informant too unless she can convince the agents that she was lying.

Desna, I understood the symbolism but you could've donated that wedding gown to charity. Especially if Dr. Crime Lord paid for it.

• Love 5
(edited)
11 hours ago, bombast said:

I wanna get into the tired as fuck “black-women-can’t-find-a-man” trope. Cus the optics here? Just…wow! But I gotta get ready for work…

I agree.They have Desna acting like Dr. Ruval was her only shot at happiness, and he then betrayed her to work with/screw around with a white woman. The two of them laughing last week like Desna is some ugly idiot really pissed me off. Like "She really believes you wanted to marry HER?HAHAHAHA"  made me sick.  In reality, Desna/Niecy has a body that won't quit, and on paper is a successful small business owner (I mean, the shop is still running and doing good business). There is no reason why Desna wouldn't have a ton of single men lined up around the block to be with her, and there has to be a decent fish or two in the sea,even in Palmetto. 

I think Ruval is double-crossing Zlata, but I don't care. He's still a POS that isn't fit to lick Desna's bootstraps.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 15

Wow, that jump rope line about "made a mistake and kissed a snake" line has never been more appropriate. How many doctors WILL it taketo get rid of that sickness? Poor Desna, being betrayed by both her man, and her new bestie. I mean, she shouldn't be that shocked about Zlata (she did see her shoot her own sister in the face) but Ruval caught her totally off guard. You can do better, Desna!

Jenn fucking Bryce awake was super creepy, even by this shows gross standards. And its not that surprising that the square dance guy is a crazy stalker. Any time a somewhat nice, normal person on this show turns up, I just sit and wait for them to reveal their psycho side/criminal empire. 

I continue to be shocked by how much I like Virginia this season. Her doing a surprisingly good job at the nail salon with the kids and her sweet call to Desna were actually really nice bits of character development. I thought she would screw everything up when the kids showed up, but she actually handled it pretty well. In her own, Virginia way. "She says I look like a prostitute!" "Happy Birthday!" 

Dr. Ken is the worst informant ever, its hilarious. Love how much the cops cant stand dealing with him, and Polly accidentally outing herself as a madam on tape. Polly is certainly on her game, and I guess her being a madam is better than scamming that woman last season who thought Polly was her best friend. Of course she sees wine moms and immediately knows whats up. 

Liked Mrs. Wallace, and its nice to know that Dean and Desna weren't miserable all the time growing up. I was shook by how much little Desna looked like grown up Desna, totally makes sense that she is Niceys actual daughter. 

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

[Virginia] doing a surprisingly good job at the nail salon with the kids

After all the buildup with the little boy, I was super disappointed he 1) only got his nails painted, and 2) we didn't even see them! 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

After all the buildup with the little boy, I was super disappointed he 1) only got his nails painted, and 2) we didn't even see them! 

He said he wanted to be like a tiger, so maybe they were "stripeidy".

stripeidy - 1) something that reminds you of tigers.   2) They're GRRREAT!

• Love 7

Was the sound off to anyone else?  When everyone was at the hospital in the beginning, it sounded like their voices were coming through a tunnel.

I guess they really are setting up a Roller and Desna reunion.  It was kind of sweet that he drove off after her when she stormed out of Polly's house.
On any other show, Desna would be done after Roller kept the truth about Ruval from her. 

On this show, wives can screw their husbands conscious, thugs can threaten to put a bullet in someone's head in front of guards, and gangsters can throw people through the air with one shot!

This show gets crazier every week, I can't wait to see how they deal with Hank.

• Love 2

I thought Hank was working with the Russians when he showed up at the hospital. I figured that he'd get Roller thrown out of the hospital by security and then Uncle Daddy would be left unprotected.  I'm a little let down he's just a crazy stalker. 

Dear Zlata, Gregory, and the "Claws" writing staff: Florida is not a community property state. And even if it were, a person's separate property does not become part of the community after marriage. And what does Desna have anyway?

Did it seem to anyone else that some scenes were kind of choppy (like with dialogue cut off or cut out) and that maybe some key scenes were deleted before they got to the final print? 

• Love 3
On 7/16/2018 at 12:25 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Still have to wonder if Ruval is actually working Zlata.

(And geez, what kind of gun makes the person you shoot go flying into the air like that?)

Desna, I understood the symbolism but you could've donated that wedding gown to charity. Especially if Dr. Crime Lord paid for it.

My question is, who's working both of them?

I may not be a physicist, but I'm pretty sure "the equal and opposite reaction" principle should have applied to the gun -- and Uncle Daddy.

Since she's keeping quiet to get the drop on Ruval and Zlata I couldn't understand burning the dress now.  I thought it might be quite lovely for their memorial services or the after party.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, emma675 said:

I'm wondering if Zlata put some of the clinic property in Desna's name without her knowledge and D marrying Ruval is how she expects to get it back? 

Even if that did happen, pretty sure all Zlata would have do was say, "This property was put in your name, please transfer it to me," and Desna would have done it. Desna literally saw the woman shoot her own sister in the face, and Zlata's really been pushing the "girl power" and "we're friends, but I'm the boss!" thing on Desna. All three things were a good enough reason for Desna to sign anything over Zlata wants on their own, let alone combined. 

• Love 2
On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:01 PM, SimoneS said:

Edited Tuesday 06:09 PM by SimoneS.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:22 PM, Chick2Chic said:

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:01 PM, SimoneS said:

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:22 PM, Chick2Chic said:

Jen screwing Bryce out of his coma surprised then amused me. Bottle it, indeed.

All of this reminded me of the book/movie "The World according to Garp." Technical Sargent Garp was a comatose soldier in a hospital During WWII. His nurse, Jenny Fields decides she wants a child and not a husband, so she uses his constant erection to help herself get what she wants. In the book, he 'comes and goes at the same time', leaving Nurse Jenny Fields with what she wants; a baby boy who she names TS Garp. It's a great book by John Irving and a good Robin Williams movie.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, cakes1975 said:

All of this reminded me of the book/movie "The World according to Garp." Technical Sargent Garp was a comatose soldier in a hospital During WWII. His nurse, Jenny Fields decides she wants a child and not a husband, so she uses his constant erection to help herself get what she wants. In the book, he 'comes and goes at the same time', leaving Nurse Jenny Fields with what she wants; a baby boy who she names TS Garp. It's a great book by John Irving and a good Robin Williams movie.

Yes, I read the book and then saw the movie and I enjoyed them both.   

I’m not okay with Jennifer raping Bryce.   I don’t know if this is sexism where they think a man can’t be raped.  That’s a stereotype that has done so much harm.  An unconscious person can’t consent to sex, and so it was rape.  It’s disgusting that it was played for humor.  

I wonder if Desna’s in a Born Yesterday situation where various businesses have been placed in her name just in case they need a fall guy and marrying her will give ownership to her husband in the event she’s arrested.   

• Love 2

I loved The World According to Garp but  I also have serious issues with Jenn's act.  I'm interested to see how it will play out though, because just because the scene was written and filmed doesn't mean it is condoned.  They could be setting up some serious other shoes to fall.  I hope so.  Especially after crazy swamp lady last season.  I would hope they learned a lesson from how icky that was.  I think if it doesn't get some kind of slap back I'll reconsider my investment in the show. 

(edited)
3 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

I’m not okay with Jennifer raping Bryce.   I don’t know if this is sexism where they think a man can’t be raped.  That’s a stereotype that has done so much harm.  An unconscious person can’t consent to sex, and so it was rape.  It’s disgusting that it was played for humor.

I mean, Roller went through this in S1 with that crazy art lady and very few people were up in arms about his being repeatedly sexually assaulted. I was repulsed from that plot point from jump. Some said he deserved to be rape and some found comedy in the ridiculousness attached to his rape scenes. He even had PTSD from it in 1x09, so I get it. I don't disagree with you (or others) that a man can be raped. 

Admittedly I wasn't initially bothered by the Jen & comatose Bryce scene as others were cause I was more focused on the end result of and reactions to him waking up suddenly more than the act itself but I do get why folks were grossed out and do think now it was in bad taste for the show to do. I am also pretty confident it won't be the last questionable act on Claws but at this point I accept that the show operates on a differently morality spectrum which sometimes can be harder to swallow. 

Edited by Chick2Chic
addition... addition!
  • Love 1

I had a problem with Roller being raped repeatedly in season 1 but at least it was established that he suffered a trauma.  Bryce and Jen were all smiles after the coma rape.  Now it looks like they may be on the road for a reconciliation and that next drama for them is probably a stalker.

On 7/21/2018 at 7:39 PM, cakes1975 said:

Love John Irving, thanks for the rec!