Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E14: Dating Wishes and Cabaret Dreams

• Start Topic

(edited)
38 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

My unsolicited $.02, is that this site, built for snark, welcomes our opinions about a given TV personality whether or not they have lived or do live an accomplished life.

It's great that we don't have to denegrate or buttress any of their accomplishments or missteps, as an entrance fee to participate here.

<slowly closes the door, while backing out of the room>

duck.jpg

Hey, That's it, LisaV  is sending in Hanky!  LOL

Edited by WireWrap
  • Love 7
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Taralightner said:

Running! 

(I have a cool gif but can’t paste it for some reason) 

Sometimes you have to use/click on the "insert other media" link (lower right side of your post box) and if that doesn't work then just copy/paste it in a post. 

Edited by WireWrap
  • Love 3
On 7/14/2018 at 2:09 PM, WireWrap said:

I did that all the time and had a mod ask me to stop doing it because it wasn't necessary! LOL We aren't supposed to call each other out personally in a post either. 

A mod asked you stop using IMO? Are you sure you weren't asked to stop using LOL? Not being  snarky, just curious cuz IMO makes sense but LOL as punctuation doesnt. Again not snark just curious. TIA.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, sarivon said:

A mod asked you stop using IMO? Are you sure you weren't asked to stop using LOL? Not being  snarky, just curious cuz IMO makes sense but LOL as punctuation doesnt. Again not snark just curious. TIA.

No, it was "IMO , I still have the pm and it was a mod that recommended I use LOL because sometimes the "tone" of my posts can read as aggressive even when that is not what I intended. 

• Love 6

I'd like to understand the comments about Carole's "voice."    I don't get it or should I say I don't hear it LOL.    Perhaps it's because I didn't read her book.  Then again, one poster said they heard her voice coming through in the book which is why they didn't believe she had a ghost writer.   I'm asking because I honestly never thought of Carole as having a "voice," I.e., she doesn't champion any causes and  doesn't seem to have any hobbies or interests.    

What "voice"  am I not hearing?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, applecrisp said:

Carole did talk about going on Wikipedia at night for shits and giggles. I thought you could go in and change stuff. 

I will go sit in a corner if I am wrong.

Ha Ha!  No need to sit in the corner.   I didn't know Carole said that but I did hear the same thing about Wikipedia.  That's why I'm always reluctant to use them as a source.

4 minutes ago, applecrisp said:

Carole did talk about going on Wikipedia at night for shits and giggles. I thought you could go in and change stuff. 

You can definitely change Wikipedia it’s the basis of the site. You can also track where the edits are from. Not who but the IP address and location if not using VIP.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, AnnA said:

I'd like to understand the comments about Carole's "voice."    I don't get it or should I say I don't hear it LOL.    Perhaps it's because I didn't read her book.  Then again, one poster said they heard her voice coming through in the book which is why they didn't believe she had a ghost writer.   I'm asking because I honestly never thought of Carole as having a "voice," I.e., she doesn't champion any causes and  doesn't seem to have any hobbies or interests.    

When you get to know the author of a book, see/hear them talk then read their book, especially a memoire, which WR is, you can actually hear their voice as you read it. IMO, Carole did not use a gw for that book, she may have for the other book but not What Remains. I highly recommend the book, it is a wonderful read. Now, when I read parts of Aviva's book, it didn't sound like her. it didn't feel like the words came out of her mouth/mind, just like when you read any of Teresa G (NJ) books, they "sound" nothing like her.

5 minutes ago, applecrisp said:

You are not wrong, she did say that! LOL

• Love 7
(edited)
12 minutes ago, AnnA said:

By voice they mean the way an author writes that you can tell it's that author sometimes without knowing at first it's them. Like Hemingway's "voice" is different from Edith Wharton's.

I never thought twice about her having a ghostwriter and just took her resume at face value until the way she over reacted to Aviva and her inability to really write anything else that's good makes me believe she definitely had help. Anything I have read that she's written seems a bit sophomoric and not impressive. I didn't like the way she describes people interested in the tragedy that she wrote about, capitalized on and made money off of as "tragedy whores". Actually she is the "whore" who sold a very intimate story for public consumption but then insults her audience. But that's typical Carole, insulting and condescending.

Edited by Ki-in
3 minutes ago, Ki-in said:

By voice they mean the way an author writes that you can tell it's that author sometimes without knowing at first it's them. Like Hemingway's "voice" is different from Edith Wharton's.

I never thought twice about her having a ghostwriter and just took her resume at face value until the way she over reacted to Aviva and her inability to really write anything else that's good makes me believe she definitely had help. Anything I have read that she's written seems a bit sophomoric and not impressive. I didn't like the way she describes people interested in the tragedy that she wrote about, capitalized on and made money off of as "tragedy whores". Actually she is the "whore" who sold a very intimate story for public consumption but then insults her audience. But that's typical Carole, insulting and condescending.

What Remains was/is a story about Carole, more than it is about Anthony, JFK Jr or Caroline.  It might be a bit hypocritical of Carole getting upset at others making money of the deaths but I also see her point, she was close to them, most other books written about them were by authors that didn't know them/weren't close with them. She got mad when Aviva accused her of using a gw on WR, not on anything else she wrote, just WR. 

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, AnnA said:

This is very strange.  I didn’t “hear her voice” while reading her book.  Maybe because I don’t hear her voice on the show very much.  

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Gem 10 said:

This is very strange.  I didn’t “hear her voice” while reading her book.  Maybe because I don’t hear her voice on the show very much.  

Thanks to @WireWrap and @Ki-In explaining the "voice" thing but you made it simple for me.    I don't associate Carole with anything in particular so nothing will remind me of her.    

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

I didn’t “hear her voice” while reading her book.  

It's sorta like PTV -- if you read and comment in any one forum long enough, you get to know each other's posting style (voice).  So much so, that even if you took away all our names,  many of us would likely know who was posting, anyway.  We recognize each other's writing style.  Similarly so with Carole's writing, for many readers.

4 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

duck.jpg

Hi, sweetie! Haven't seen you enough lately! ; )

~you're the rhony mascot!

Edited by film noire
  • Love 13
6 minutes ago, film noire said:

It's sorta like PTV -- if you read and comment in any one forum long enough, you get to know each other's posting style (voice).  So much so, that even if you took away all our names,  many of us would likely know who was posting, anyway.  We recognize each other's writing style.  Similarly so with Carole's writing, for many readers.

Now that makes sense.   I get it 100% in relation to PTV.    I'm probably being super dense but I don't get how readers recognize Carole's writing style by reading that one book.    I read a few of her blogs and they're not well written.   

• Love 1

Agree with film noire, "voice" in this example means writing style. It doesn't necessarily mean the way a person normally speaks, verbally.  I also agree that the quoted portion of one of Carole's blogs is a good example of how similar her writing style can be to that of What Remains -- notice, it's about the same topic as WR as well. I think we heard much more of that familiar voice in Carole's early blogs, but as she's become less authentic in general (IMO) over the last year or so, so have her blogs. When she tries to go full bitchy/mean girl/cool chick mode, she loses the voice that we heard in WR and, IMO, it's because she's trying hard to impress and be someone she isn't. It's exactly what has truly bothered me about her this season. I wish she'd see Adam clearly, cut him loose, maybe spend less time with Tinsley, and get closer to her regular self again.

I get why people may have bought into Aviva's ghost writer story, but I didn't. I don't even really think Carole is a true writer. I think she's someone who lived through a genuine tragedy and wrote a memoir about it. Lots of people pen memoirs about a very specific time in their lives and that's it. It doesn't mean they are writers in the sense of someone who NEEDS to write and who put out multiple books. She wrote a beautiful memoir, IMO, that I don't believe was ghost written. I thought Aviva throwing that out there was incredibly shitty. But, then, Aviva sucks.

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, film noire said:

Hi, sweetie! Haven't seen you enough lately! ; )

Oh, you got that right, haha.  How my doin?  Do I have a GW?   LMAO.

• Love 1
On 7/11/2018 at 10:07 PM, BG-RealityBabbler said:

I wonder if Tins "suite" is deeply discounted for the tv time.... maybe that's why she can "afford" to stay there. 30K a month spent to rent a suite at a hotel is ridiculous, especially long term...

Bethenny's Ramona imitation cracked up... I enjoyed the levity.

Adam wants Carole back.... Sure Jan.  She probably sent the flowers and gloves to herself... ;) 

Carole probably walked to the closest Korean Deli and bought those tulips

On 7/11/2018 at 10:22 PM, Gem 10 said:

This speed dating thing is the funniest thing this season.  Bethenny had Snoopy in the palm of her hand.  Maybe it was the B.J. crack.  I think Carole was jealous.  Mona was very seductive.  Sonja was crazy.  Funny.

Red scarf gave me a creepy vibe.

He came to the event because he knew Bethenny would be there? Run for your lives!!!!!

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, AnnA said:

Now that makes sense.   I get it 100% in relation to PTV.    I'm probably being super dense but I don't get how readers recognize Carole's writing style by reading that one book.    I read a few of her blogs and they're not well written.   

Her early blogs, not her blogs from the past 3 years.

• Love 6
On 7/11/2018 at 10:29 PM, mbaywife123 said:

Tinsley and her cute "little girl" dumb blond act are really getting tiresome.

Move back home with momma Dale and quit looking for some sucker to marry you.

Sometimes I wonder how she ever was married.  She’s so “ babyish”.  Unless her ex husband was the same.  

• Love 2
(edited)

Carol’s book wasn’t like I thought it would be.  It WAS all about her.  Her life growing up in detail, her jobs, EVERY one of them, in detail, a paragraph of her marriage, a little of her relationship with JFK, Jr. and Carolyn, lots and lots of Anthony’s sickness and death.  She married him with cancer, and his death with cancer.  Her whole marriage was with his cancer.  Maybe that’s why she is how she is now,  carefree and doesn’t care what anyone thinks.  I don’t blame her.  She rides on handlebars now .. better than sitting in a waiting room waiting for a test result on how much it spread.

Edited by Gem 10
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, WireWrap said:

No, it was "IMO , I still have the pm and it was a mod that recommended I use LOL because sometimes the "tone" of my posts can read as aggressive even when that is not what I intended. 

IMO, Lol... that’s all I have to say about that. I haven’t heard “aggressive” from you at all, and I’ve spent a lot of time lately reading these threads to get caught up. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Taralightner said:

IMO, Lol... that’s all I have to say about that. I haven’t heard “aggressive” from you at all, and I’ve spent a lot of time lately reading these threads to get caught up. 

Thanks, but even I can admit that sometimes I get frustrated, hence coming across as "aggressive". I think most of us do this time to time in trying to express how we feel about some HW/situation without intending to. 

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Taralightner said:

I very often use IMO.  It’s a safety word.  Without it, I get bombarded with negative posts, which make me feel very bad.  Some posters get very nasty and don’t respect opinions.  Some people are sensitive and some are not.  We are here to have fun, I’ve always hoped.  Or else, I’ll go read the newspaper.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Gem 10 said:

I very often use IMO.  It’s a safety word.  Without it, I get bombarded with negative posts, which make me feel very bad.  Some posters get very nasty and don’t respect opinions.  Some people are sensitive and some are not.  We are here to have fun, I’ve always hoped.  Or else, I’ll go read the newspaper.

I never think I am going to change anyone's opinion but I like to talk about how we (all) see things differently/why we have different opinions, which is why I will quote someone with a different perspective/opinion than mine. This site is so much fun and a great place to read/express/exchange differing opinions/ideas. 

• Love 11
(edited)
58 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

Ok I wasn't watching the show in Carole's early years and now I rarely read their blogs.    

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 2

I believe Carole wrote "What Remains" all by herself, and her defensiveness about it stems from the fact that she's secretly afraid she's a one-booker.

IMO.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, WireWrap said:

I don’t know from Aviva and Carole in the early days so I can’t comment on anything they said or did.  Carole is new to me these last couple of years.  I only watch when Bethenny is on.  Just sayin.

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Gem 10 said:

I use IMO all the time because I don't want others to think I'm stating a fact unless I really am.    Maybe that's because it bothers me when others don't do it.    There's a big difference between saying "XYZ lied" and "IMO XYZ was lying"    It's the kind of thing Dorit does which Teddi rightly called gaslighting.   Someone reading that might think it was fact without the IMO and that's just wrong.   

• Love 4
1 hour ago, AnnA said:

Ok I wasn't watching the show in Carole's early years and now I rarely read their blogs.    

If you get a chance, go back and read some of her blogs from her first 2 years on the show. I know you didn't watch then and will not understand what was going on but you will see a difference between her blogs then compared to her blogs in the past few years, they are very different IMO. She was more tongue in cheek and far less nasty back then and even poked fun at herself a fair bit.

• Love 4
(edited)
20 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

X you get a chance, go back and read some of her blogs from her first 2 years on the show. I know you didn't watch then and will not understand what was going on but you will see a difference between her blogs then compared to her blogs in the past few years, they are very different IMO. She was more tongue in cheek and far less nasty back then and even poked fun at herself a fair bit.

OK. I can do that.

Thanks.

ETA:  I'm surprised bravo keeps them up that long

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 3

Topic, y'all.  Get back on it.  If it didn't happen in the episode, it doesn't belong in this thread.  Take the Carole discussion to her thread.  And please don't backseat mod.  Thanks!

• Love 3
(edited)
On 7/14/2018 at 4:46 PM, QuinnM said:

So let’s speculate on why Carole is soooooo desperate this season.  All this with Adam sending tulips, the marathon just to be with him, the self deluding talk about how he wants her back, her absolutely vicious asides (and looking at the previews out right attacks) on anyone talking to RedScarf.  RedScarf, who she had never met before that night.  Is it some kind of mid life crisis?  When did she go so far off the rails?

She never said Adam wanted her back. She said he wanted her “back in his life.” Very different things. Everything else is simply speculation. None of us “know” she ran the marathon to be closer to Adam. And where and when did she make “viscious asides” on anybody taking to Red Scarf? Perhaps I got up to get a drink during a key scene because I missed that. I did hear her make one throwaway comment but surely there must have been something else I missed.

10 hours ago, AnnA said:

My recollection of Carole's career is not nearly as rosey.   She didn't work at ABC for 20 years and her second book was a flop.    I remember Carole being upset when her editor told her she expected her to meet deadlines.   

Eh, even though the second book was a flop, she still accomplished more professionally than a lot of these ladies. She has much to be proud of in terms of her previous career. 

3 hours ago, AnnA said:

That’s too bad. Slutty Island is a classic. 

3 hours ago, Jel said:

I believe Carole wrote "What Remains" all by herself, and her defensiveness about it stems from the fact that she's secretly afraid she's a one-booker.

IMO.

...or it stems from some psychotic woman trying to denigrate her very personal (and well received) memoir. Either-or.

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 9
(edited)

I think the speed dating thing was specifically set up around the housewives. Carole “knew” the woman in charge and she “invited” the others. That’s why red scarf guy said that he came to see Bethenny, otherwise you really don’t know ahead of time who will be at an event. I think that’s why the guy at the bar knew RSG’s name. The woman in charge called her circle of guy clients/friends in order to have this event that showcased her business and provided a funny scene for the show.

I don’t mind this level of scripting, where they set up an event and the women’s personalities come rising out. I only watched half the first episode of Ryan Serhant (sp?) spin off show about sales. It was so painfully set up and obvious that I couldn’t stand finishing the episode.

About forty years ago I went to a first communion at the Catholic Church on West 71st street. I don’t remember the interior, but I do remember it’s existence. I lived on the Upper West Side for 48 years. When Lou got the apartment, I paused to see if I could recognize specifically where it is, from looking at the surrounding rooftops (I could not). Very typical that the apartment had books, years ago I read a rule of thumb for NYC movers: apartments on the Upper West Side have tons of books, apartments on the Upper East Side have a ton of clothes.

Edited by NYCFree
  • Love 12
(edited)
On 7/14/2018 at 10:38 PM, WireWrap said:

They use to be, as were her blogs IMO. She had this funny way of telling a story without being mean back when she first started, we saw shades of mean Carole when Aviva pulled the ghost writer lie on her but nothing near as nasty as she became after she/Bethenny teamed up. Seriously, Carole's ugly side came out after she became Bethenny's bestie and she began parroting Bethenny's nasty side. IMO, it is great watching them go at each other this season, they both deserve what they are getting from the other. LOL

Oops,  sorry my comment was off topic in regards to this episode. 

Just saw mods post.

Edited by Coffeewinewater

I thought it was depressing watching these middle age women at this event...Ramona...for God's sake quit trying to impress these regular guys with all the great jet set places you go to...how pathetic was that.

I laughed when Brian said, "oh, the usual places." But I don't know if Ramona caught that. I would be bored quickly in talking to someone who only traveled to the "in" fashionable places. Ramona quickly came off as a type. (Why doesn't she talk about that girls' school in Africa she travels to, or is she no longer affiliated with that project? That'd be a far more interesting thing to mention.) I also thought her giving Brian a drink at the end wasn't good game - if he'd wanted to talk to her again, he would have come over. Her attempt to "remind" him of who she was, when he was in the middle of talking to other women, just seemed desperate.

BUT at least Ramona knew how to talk to the men at the mixer in a carefree, friendly way.  Yikes, Bethenny. You don't have to always lead with a sharp, abrasive comment. Blow job, really?

• Love 14
On 7/11/2018 at 10:18 PM, Lynnlynnlynn586 said:

Carol and Tins act 12 seriously i get embarrassed watching Tinsley just sayin...?

There’s nothing redeeming or remotely interesting about Tinsley...and gawd does she need a stylist..those frou frou dresses combined with the(badly curling iron) hair...and the screeching over the top reactions...the downward faux smile lockjaw is the piece de resistance

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Lula58 said:

There’s nothing redeeming or remotely interesting about Tinsley...and gawd does she need a stylist..those frou frou dresses combined with the(badly curling iron) hair...and the screeching over the top reactions...the downward faux smile lockjaw is the piece de resistance

Could you just see Tinsley being pregnant and taking care of a child?  Mommy would have to move in.  Lol.

• Love 6

There’s something about watching Ramona do almost anything that I find repulsive and fascinating at the same time. It always looks like she’s doing an impression of a human. 

Damn Lou looked good in those dresses. I’ve always been enamored of her body. It’s voluptuous, but toned. Just beautiful.

• Love 14
20 hours ago, Taralightner said:

IMO, Lol, pm, pms and all that jazz.  I still have PMS and finished the change long ago.  LMAO. 

• Love 1

Could you picture Tinsley at speed dating?  How many seconds in do you think it would be before she brought up marriage? Before the end of the 3 min. (if the guy hadn't run away) she would probably pull up her photo of her eggs. Yikes!  Wining and dining?  Puh-leeze. Didn't she have to have her make-out sessions dates with that really young guy at a bowling alley? I know part of it was because of Sonja's house rules, but still ...  "Money can't buy you Cah-LASS," indeed!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

Damn, just read in today’s Newsday Luann WONT be at the reunion, as she’s back in REHAB.  Bummer.

Huh. I wonder what happened? Or was she looking for an excuse to skip the reunion.

• Love 3

Poor Ramona, my little trash panda eating caviar out of the dumpster....

But honestly, they need something to talk about since Luann needs her rehab so Ramona throwing a fit will have to do....

• Love 3