Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: Beer and Trembling 2018.06.14

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, SheTalksShit said:

I agree that Naomie was wrong in the way she handled Craig’s ways, but the way Craig acts is not normal. Unable to ever show up on time, unable to meet deadlines, unable to be productive in a conventional sense, really. It may not matter now while the Bravo $ is still rolling in, but when all this is over, if he continues to be as he is now, he’s gonna have some real problems. I think he will likely get it together once this is over, tho, bc he will have to. 

Right now, he can get away with marching to the beat of his own drum, but with most jobs, that’s not gonna work. 

He's pretty clearly told us (and the life coach) that he has ADD or ADHD. It's a real thing. My husband was diagnosed after a prominent neuropsychologist gave him many tests. Meds worked for a while and he liked how they helped him, but then even the strongest ones just stopped working after a while. Like my husband, Craig is not intentionally being disrespectful of others' time, he has a disorder that he can't control and has a different perception of time. I -- who can tell myself to wake up at a certain hour and minute -- have had to learn to deal with the strange lack of understanding of time without losing my temper. 

Some people who have ADD stumble into careers and jobs that work for them and do well. Others just ping pong from job to job as bosses and co-workers get frustrated with their inability to focus on the task at hand if something more interesting distracts them. They're often intelligent folks and if they can develop certain tricks (using a smartphone can help a lot, IF they will use it) they can succeed. Sometimes they have low self-esteem as Craig seemed to exhibit with the life coach. 

Right now, being on the show works for Craig -- he entertains the viewers and is generally "charming". He did manage to get a business degree, finish law school, and pass the bar, so he's got that and a pile of money to invest. I feel like he'll make it, with some nagging from his parents and pals perhaps. (Shep's taunts did seem to make him more determined to pass the bar.) Yes, he's got annoying traits like "forgetting" his wallet. He truly does hear a different drum, and there will be ladies out there who can allow him the space to dance to it.

• Love 16
On 6/16/2018 at 5:40 PM, Neurochick said:

Why does Craig need therapy?  Because he won't do what people want him to do?  I think Naomie is the one who needs therapy.  I mean she was hostile towards Craig, sorry but you can't make anybody do what you want them to do.  Life 101. 

I don't agree with someone telling another person to get therapy. That said, Craig might benefit from therapy in the same way working with the life coach gave him a boost of self-esteem. Perhaps if he did some "internal work" on his apparent ADD, low self-esteem, and relationship issues he would be happier and understand himself better. If he has the time and money, why not try it? I believe he felt the couples therapy with Naomi was helpful, even if they did break up. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, SheTalksShit said:

Say what you will about Ashley, but she’s never been accused of the things Thomas has been accused of. 

How is come every girl Thomas is with gets iced out and gets a reputation as crazy? Could it be there’s something Thomas does to fuel that??

Yes.  I think Thomas is part of that problem.  Most women would have left him over his overt fascination with Kathryn.  He's embarrassing his girlfriend with every single lavacious look and remark.

He's using her and she wants an actual relationship. 

Yes.  It's a tv show.  I'm suspending my disbelief and going with the idea it's "real".

11 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

You could certainly argue that TR likes to gaslight, but imo, a woman's own organic psyche is what it is.  TRav isn't that powerful.

I agree, but I would go further and say, Thomas instinctively finds women who are, perhaps, slightly mentally not all there. 

I firmly believe Kathryn would still be selfish and narcissistic and Ashley would still be Ashley, but thomas looks for subtle ways to poke and prod and make it worse.

7 hours ago, VedaPierce said:

I don’t believe for a second that he would have ever gone through with it and gotten her that ring. He is manipulating her to behave. It was said for show and shock. 

100%!

• Love 11

Well, I suppose Thomas has got to find someone who's not all there because HE'S not all there. No mentally healthy/mentally stable person would want him. 

• Love 11
49 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

He also clearly told us that he is a liar who likes to manipulate people.

Yeah, there is that, too. For all I defended about him, I haven’t watched the past three episodes closely, so when I read comments about his admission that he’s a liar, I have to say that I just don’t get Craig. Maybe that’s what drove Naomi to such intense levels of anger, that his personality seems to shift so much. 

• Love 4
16 hours ago, SheTalksShit said:

Me too, I feel like I get her. IDK I saw how Kathryn treated Landon last season and it looked to me like she was giving Ashley similar treatment. It’s petty, it’s rude and it’s obnoxious and clearly, kissing her ass doesn’t work, bc no matter how nice you try to be, if Thomas shows any interest or pays any attention to you, Kathryn hates you and there’s no changing her mind. She even stopped being Jennifer’s friend just bc Thomas handed her a tissue at the season 3 reunion! 

So I get it, it’s about time somebody checked Kathryn. 

Amen. I wish Kathryn would concentrate on her children and staying sober. Leave this shitshow and live your life. She craves the limelight more than anything. She and Thomas got together for a reason, they are both addicts who attract another addict, and it’s time she wakes up.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, RedHawk said:

Yeah, there is that, too. For all I defended about him, I haven’t watched the past three episodes closely, so when I read comments about his admission that he’s a liar, I have to say that I just don’t get Craig. Maybe that’s what drove Naomi to such intense levels of anger, that his personality seems to shift so much. 

After seeing him confess (brag?!) about being a liar and manipulator to his ‘life coach’, and seeing what a mess his home is, the chaos and filth in some rooms. I think there’s something off with him. He’s disorganized, can’t finish what he starts, has delusions of his intelligence and talent, has sociopathic tendencies (who brags about manipulating people? On camera??). I think he needs a real therapist. If that was my kid I was seeing on tv, I would be alarmed. 

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, VedaPierce said:

After seeing him confess (brag?!) about being a liar and manipulator to his ‘life coach’, and seeing what a mess his home is, the chaos and filth in some rooms. I think there’s something off with him. He’s disorganized, can’t finish what he starts, has delusions of his intelligence and talent, has sociopathic tendencies (who brags about manipulating people? On camera??). I think he needs a real therapist. If that was my kid I was seeing on tv, I would be alarmed. 

I agree. And when you are in the business of being an officer of the court, which is what attorneys are, assuming that he is still licensed, it really makes me scratch my head. Why would you want that out there?  I realize that reality shows are full of staged scenes and fake issues, but, what he said was nothing to joke around about, imo.  

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/16/2018 at 8:23 PM, lezlers said:

It's basically the equivalent of a housewife slapping her name on clothing/purses/shoes that someone else designed and made, and claiming all the credit. 

Gretchen did exactly that. Ordered up some cheap makeup from China, then slapped ‘Gretchen Christine’ on every thing. We all can do it. I went to a bar mitzvah once where part of the gift bag was a bottle of wine with the kids face and name and bar mitzvah date on the label. 

Edited by VedaPierce
  • Love 3
On 6/19/2018 at 12:03 AM, biakbiak said:

The brewery that Austin went with has a huge home brewer store, my dad and several of my close friends who are huge beer geeks have gotten similar microbreweries to make their home brews for less than $1,000 and that’s without tv time. It’s entirely possible that we just got an overview scene of Austin’s process because literally no one, even a person who deeply loves that person, wants to hear about it or watch it. 

My friends’ husbands are in a wine club that actually makes and bottles it’s own wine. There are some wineries in Long Island that offer it. Around 1k sounds about right. 

• Love 1
On 6/19/2018 at 3:09 AM, SheTalksShit said:

Say what you will about Ashley, but she’s never been accused of the things Thomas has been accused of. 

How is come every girl Thomas is with gets iced out and gets a reputation as crazy? Could it be there’s something Thomas does to fuel that??

Could be. And it could be that they are legit loony tunes. Both facts can be true at the same time. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Major Bigtime said:

Amen. I wish Kathryn would concentrate on her children and staying sober. Leave this shitshow and live your life. She craves the limelight more than anything. She and Thomas got together for a reason, they are both addicts who attract another addict, and it’s time she wakes up.

I would say that too, but with more understanding of Kathryn's situation, it's not that easy for her. This show seems to be her ONLY source of income, to be able to prove that she can care for her kids. She's not Shep who has a trust fund and businesses to fall back on, nor Cameran who has a rich husband, nor Chelsea who has a stable job, nor even Austen who has his college degree and past experience as a beer salesman to fall back on. AFAIK, she didn't graduate college, and she didn't have any semblance of career before this show. 

So while I understand the sentiment that this shitshow does more harm than good for Kathryn, in terms of the people and situations she has to deal with, it may actually be the only sane thing that is happening to her, income-wise. 

• Love 11
(edited)

I think these boutique beers are pretty easy to decelop your own-kind of like when you fill out a questionnaire asking what perfume notes you like and they design your own “special” formula which is just plugging in a “recipe”. 

Slow clap, Austen, you used your parents money (probably) or maybe Bravo paid (likely) to have someone create some growlers for you.  I’m more impressed by home brewers who do it themselves and have a true appreciation of the art. Austen takes the easy way out and I don’t find him a catch in the least. These guys are all pretty much losers though Whitney appears to have real business interests and involvement in production. Though, let’s face it, most of these kids grew up far more privileged than I’m sure many of us here. 

Edited by Kiss my mutt
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

I would say that too, but with more understanding of Kathryn's situation, it's not that easy for her. This show seems to be her ONLY source of income, to be able to prove that she can care for her kids. She's not Shep who has a trust fund and businesses to fall back on, nor Cameran who has a rich husband, nor Chelsea who has a stable job, nor even Austen who has his college degree and past experience as a beer salesman to fall back on. AFAIK, she didn't graduate college, and she didn't have any semblance of career before this show. 

So while I understand the sentiment that this shitshow does more harm than good for Kathryn, in terms of the people and situations she has to deal with, it may actually be the only sane thing that is happening to her, income-wise. 

She also needs the money for all of the court costs. TRav knows that if he can drag things out long enough that he will get his way because her lawyers are not going to do it pro bono. She also needs to provide a stable home for when she does have the children. Staying at her parents with them is not an option due to a previous ruling by the court about her father and her mothers poor health. 

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

She also needs the money for all of the court costs. TRav knows that if he can drag things out long enough that he will get his way because her lawyers are not going to do it pro bono. She also needs to provide a stable home for when she does have the children. Staying at her parents with them is not an option due to a previous ruling by the court about her father and her mothers poor health. 

Does anyone know WHY Kathryn’s father can’t be around the kids?

I have been curious about her family since Season One when they were all totally fine with her trying to get pregnant by a man 30 years older. Most parents of a 21 year old would not be on board with that.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, Sage47 said:

I have been curious about her family since Season One when they were all totally fine with her trying to get pregnant by a man 30 years older. Most parents of a 21 year old would not be on board with that.

Exactly. I remember when she told her mother about the pregnancy scare, her mom told her that if she's trying to get pregnant, to take prenatal vitamins. That just didn't seem like something a family of conservative people from SC would say. To me, it was just because of the Ravenel money. If the guy had been a Sonic carhop, I'm sure it would be a different story. I hope the mom is happy with that sage advice. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, VedaPierce said:

Remember what a mess he was in season 2, blowing off his studies and partying all the time.  Shep got on him, saying he doesn't have mail box money to fall back on and Craig complained that he was being bullied.

First season he was partying and not showing up for work, ending to the loss of the job.

So he spent time up in RI and then next season, he's shacking up with Naomi.  I guess she couldn't whip him to shape.  He complained that she wasn't his ride and die girl.  Maybe the poor personal habits got to her.  

All the cute things he sees together isn't covering those shortcomings.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, VedaPierce said:

Gretchen did exactly that. Ordered up some cheap makeup from China, then slapped ‘Gretchen Christine’ on every thing. We all can do it. I went to a bar mitzvah once where part of the gift bag was a bottle of wine with the kids face and name and bar mitzvah date on the label. 

For my son's first birthday I ordered a bunch of candy bars with his name and face on the labels.   Maybe I should start a business hawking "my" candy bars!

• Love 5
On 6/18/2018 at 3:51 PM, HunterHunted said:

This specialty beer thing prompted my own nearly hour long diversion to see how easy it is to get a brewery to make you 2 or 3 kegs of beer with specialty flavors. It's nearly impossible. Apparently the economies of scale are such that even for a microbrewery, it only becomes profitable around the 20 - 30 keg range. And that's a lot more like a $2000 - $5000 investment on Austen's part. A brewer said that if you want a couple of kegs of beer with additional flavors, your best bet is a randall. It's an infusing device that allows you to infuse flavors into a beer after it exits the keg. But this $400 of special grapefruit beer is either bullshit or leftovers.

OMG ITS ONLY Beer.

HI . My name is Thomas. I have A bridge. And I'm Old. Also, big ears and a Dad Bod.

* Removes White pants*

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Sage47 said:

IIRC it had something to do with a dog her father owned that he refused to pin up or crate when Kensie was around. I guess Thomas was able to prove to the court thst the dog was a danger and the father was as well for refusing to take precautions. 

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, RedHawk said:

IIRC it had something to do with a dog her father owned that he refused to pin up or crate when Kensie was around. I guess Thomas was able to prove to the court thst the dog was a danger and the father was as well for refusing to take precautions. 

Because his Dad owns all the Judges in Charleston. And they all wear White Pants.

Edited by ozzy
Men in Charleston suck
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, RedHawk said:

Thank you for answering this.  I've seen it written often, but never explained.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/20/2018 at 12:15 PM, VedaPierce said:

It's actually a legit form of ADHD.  My boss's kid is very similar.  It's nearly impossible to medicate for and extremely frustrating if you'd in their life.  And I didn't read his as bragging about being a liar and manipulator, more as throwing himself on his sword, so to speak.  He knows he's a fuck up to a certain degree and that there's something off with him.  He just gets caught up in his own little world and only spends limited time in the real one.  But he's aware of it even if he's almost incapable of balancing the two.  It's a good thing he's an upper middle class white male living in the South.  He'll make out just fine and probably succeed despite himself.  (Can you hear the sneer on my face while I typed that?)

19 hours ago, Sage47 said:

Easiest way to catch a man is to catch a baby, or at least it used to be.  Her middle name is "Calhoun" (which, if you're familiar with Southern History means John C., US Vice President and Father of Secession - yes, this shit really does matter to these people).  He's Old South, she's Old South.  These people used to arrange marriages and own slaves.  This wouldn't bother them in the least.  Just like they're not bothered that she never finished college.  She'll marry a rich old man soon enough or inherent the family plantation.  The dog thing does sound ... odd ... but then again, the old guy may have a pack of hunting dogs that follow him where ever he goes like he's Stuart Tarleton (a reference for you Windies out there).  It's quite clear that Thomas uses the courts to his advantage and something as stupid as the hounds knocking her down would be grist for his mill.

Edited by Lemur
  • Love 5
(edited)

Yeah, not buying the ADHD as an excuse for his weird behavior. Craig never struck me as someone aware of his shortcomings and struggling to overcome them. He’s more of an excuse-maker, and when Naomie would get frustrated with him, he would lash out at her disproportionately. My brother has ADHD and my son was diagnosed as well. My brother is a CPA at a hedge fund organization, he’s an insane cook, when we come over for bbqs, he has post-it’s on cupboard doors, sliding doors, walls, etc all at eye level. It helps him stay organized and on top of his game when hosting 20 people that he cooks for. There are so many techniques he employs to help him deal with ADHD issues. So does my son. I’m well familiar with the effects of it. Craig is a lazy, entitled, lying fuck up. He waits for last minute to do the simplest collage hw assignment, he doesn’t have a job nor does he want one-when he did, he never showed up, he lied to his parents about graduating (what kind of person does that??) he lied to his friends about so many things. He put a butter knife through his hand while attempting to put it through a wall. He’s screwy and it’s not from ADHD. 

Edited by VedaPierce
  • Love 5
(edited)
5 minutes ago, VedaPierce said:

Yeah, not buying the ADHD as an excuse for his weird behavior. Craig never struck me as someone aware of his shortcomings and struggling to overcome them. He’s more of an excuse-maker, and when Naomie would get frustrated with him, would lash out at her disproportionately. My brother has ADHD and my son was diagnosed as well. My brother is a CPA at a hedge fund organization, he’s an insane cook, when we come over for bbqs, he has post-it’s on cupboard doors, sliding doors, walls, etc all at eye level. It helps him stay organized and on top of his game when hosting 20 people that he cooks for. There are so many techniques he employs to help him deal with ADHD issues. So does my son. I’m well familiar with the effects of it. Craig is a lazy, entitled, lying fuck up. He waits for last minute to do the simplest collage hw assignment, he doesn’t have a job, he lied to his parents about graduating (what kind of person does that??) he lied to his friends about so many things. He put a butter knife through his head while attempting to put it through a wall. He’s screwy and it’s not from ADHD. 

I'm sure you're also aware that no two cases of ADHD present the same and that it has many permutations.  But I will concur that he's screwy, lazy and entitled amongst other things.  And that it's on him to do something about it other than wallow in his own filth and excuses.

Edited by Lemur
  • Love 3
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Lemur said:

I'm sure you're also aware that no two cases of ADHD present the same and that it has many permutations.  But I will concur that he's screwy, lazy and entitled amongst other things. 

Yes, and I’m aware we are all different and special in our own wonderful ways. :) of course no two cases in any human condition is ever the same. I’m just not buying his shortcomings are a result of his ADHD, or what he SAYS is ADHD. That’s the trouble with lying people, they’re not quite believable. 

Lying to your mother about graduating from college (that she no doubt payed for) is not because you have ADHD. It’s because you’re a lying sack of shit. 

Edited by VedaPierce
  • Love 6
(edited)

And btw...I have NEVER excused any bad behavior of my son’s with “oh, it’s because he has ADHD”. I don’t know if Craig heard that growing up, but if he did, that is a huge disservice to him, and resulted in him becoming the undependable, untrustworthy adult he is today.  

Edited by VedaPierce
  • Love 5
27 minutes ago, Lemur said:

I'm sure you're also aware that no two cases of ADHD present the same and that it has many permutations.  But I will concur that he's screwy, lazy and entitled amongst other things.  And that it's on him to do something about it other than wallow in his own filth and excuses.

Okay, so I realize this isn't Emmy Award or Oscar worthy stuff, but this show is a job, and a pretty good paying one from what I can gather.  These cast members are earning paychecks.  I don't get why everyone is so angry that Craig and the others aren't slogging off to a 9-to-5.  Yes, I would have loved to have had Craig's law school opportunity and I wouldn't be wasting it if I had it, but it's his to do with what he wishes.  When the Bravo checks dry up, and if they haven't led to something else, then he will likely pursue a vocation in the law field.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I don't get why everyone is so angry that Craig and the others aren't slogging off to a 9-to-5

Mainly because I'd love to get paid to drink and hangout with my friends.  I am unabashedly jealous of that.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

For me it’s because he is an entitled tool about it. Hell he and Kathryn just this episode were scoffing at Ashley for not having a job even though she does have one.

And I couldn’t care less if he works or not. That’s not even the thing that I find the most objectionable. It’s the unabashed lying, and the slovenly living conditions that are ok with him. His last minute half-assedness towards everything that comes his way. The way he steals images for a pillow commission (an awesome opportunity with Patricia, he could be selling his pillows alongside Asa’s caftans in Bloomingdales.) And the lying about law school, I would find that pretty horrible if I was his friend or relation and he lied about that to me, that’s kind of a big one. I don’t know, that stuff matters, or used to, to people. There’s something strange about him. Unseemly. That boy ain’t right. 

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

For me it’s because he is an entitled tool about it. Hell he and Kathryn just this episode were scoffing at Ashley for not having a job even though she does have one.

THEY have jobs.  Ashley wasn't paid for this season (except the reunion) so at that point she did not have one.  

• Love 2
(edited)
9 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

She was working as a hospice nurse, so like an actual job not the show. 

She is now but I don't think she was at the time.  I could be wrong but I thought the job thing came after filming.  Otherwise why would Patricia mention it and Ashley not say, yes I have a job?

Just checked.  She got her license in SC in early May.  So yes, she was unemployed at the time.

Edited by Natalie68
  • Love 4
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

She is now but I don't think she was at the time.  I could be wrong but I thought the job thing came after filming.  Otherwise why would Patricia mention it and Ashley not say, yes I have a job?

She was posting about her job during filming. I mean Ashley is trash but Kathryn also just started hanging around the cast when they were filming until she got cast so she wasn’t originally getting paid either and wasn’t working before the show by her own admission and now has this fake job at Gwynn’s which she quit after filming.

And we saw Craig get fired for being a lazy entitled ass who didn’t think he needed to show up during office hours from his actual job so it’s justa ridiculous look for them to be looking down at Ashley for that when they are so many actual things wrong with her to look down at her about.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

She was posting about her job during filming. I mean Ashley is trash but Kathryn also just started hanging around the cast when they were filming until she got cast so she wasn’t originally getting paid either and wasn’t working before the show by her own admission and now has this fake job at Gwynn’s which she quit after filming.

And we saw Craig get fired for being a lazy entitled ass who didn’t think he needed to show up during office hours from his actual job so it’s justa ridiculous look for them to be looking down at Ashley for that when they are so many actual things wrong with her to look down at her about.

Huh.  This is where I got that from:  https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/8-things-know-ashley-jacobs-203600062.html  Maybe she was working without a license or doing something else.  The article is from May 17, 2018.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

he and Kathryn just this episode were scoffing at Ashley for not having a job even though she does have one.

I missed that part of the episode.  There are plenty of reasons for scoffing at Ashley, but that shouldn't be one of them.

(edited)
21 hours ago, VedaPierce said:

And I couldn’t care less if he works or not. That’s not even the thing that I find the most objectionable. It’s the unabashed lying, and the slovenly living conditions that are ok with him. His last minute half-assedness towards everything that comes his way. The way he steals images for a pillow commission (an awesome opportunity with Patricia, he could be selling his pillows alongside Asa’s caftans in Bloomingdales.) And the lying about law school, I would find that pretty horrible if I was his friend or relation and he lied about that to me, that’s kind of a big one. I don’t know, that stuff matters, or used to, to people. There’s something strange about him. Unseemly. That boy ain’t right. 

I agree with everything you say about Craig, Veda. He IS strange, unseemly and not right. It’s not just ADHD. ADD doesn’t make people liars. I have ADD; I would never lie to my parents!! and close friends (or anyone) about graduating law school. He’s a scumbag. 

Him showing the sewing shop woman his crappy clip art idea of dogs and cats...her face...she sees that something is wrong with him too.

Then the talking head of him swigging his Bud Light and chuckling about his hand injury, biggest tool on earth. Butter knife in the wall, okay then poser Craig. 

Naomie is mean and just a nasty person. However, I do understand her ire with Craig. I bet when she wanted some lovin’, Craig was...sleeping, or monotone talking. You know their sex life was a total zero. 

I also agree with Veda that he has sociopathic tendencies. 

Edited by Sage47
  • Love 3
On 6/22/2018 at 10:37 AM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Well, I'm white, and I wouldn't consider that to be a problem.

I rolled my eyes too.

I'm Martha Stewart White and just thought .,Wow...get a Real Problem, Pat!

• Love 1
7 hours ago, ozzy said:

I'm Martha Stewart White and just thought .,Wow...get a Real Problem, Pat!

Is that Magnolia White™️ or Glass of Milk™️?

(RIP Martha Stewart Paint)