Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: First Light / S01.E02: Suicide Sprints

• Start Topic

Two teenagers from very different backgrounds find themselves burdened and awakened to newly acquired superpowers which are mysteriously linked to one another. The only constant in their lives is danger and each other.

and

Tandy and Tyrone try to grasp what has happened to them with their new-found powers, while Tandy’s past catches up with her and Tyrone becomes consumed with revenge. Meanwhile, Detective Brigid O’Reilly works an interesting case that has ties to Tandy.

Worked for me, even the changes to the comic book worked.  Don't know why the reviews say theres no obvious antagonist when there is , but it is what it is. 

Minor quibble, they really need to use their location more. Not really coming off as a new orleans type of locale.

• Love 7

I liked it.  Good acting, good music, good premise, and interesting characters.

I really liked the contrast in mothers.  Tandy's mom is not a good mom, more concerned with drugs and hooking up.  Ty's mother on the hand is great, she loves him and wants the best for him.  Please don't kill off Ty's mother, please.

• Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, Oscirus said:

Worked for me, even the changes to the comic book worked.  Don't know why the reviews say theres no obvious antagonist when there is , but it is what it is. 

Minor quibble, they really need to use their location more. Not really coming off as a new orleans type of locale.

I agree with your quibble.  I thought they were in New York.  Nothing about that location screamed New Orleans.

Other quibbles...apparently Tandy's dance studio is fine with letting little children wait by themselves out in the streets while waiting for their parents.  Also, Tandy driving the car they just stole with the "Just Married" writing on it is stupid.

That being said though, I really enjoyed this.  It was a good show, entertaining with strong leads.  I liked seeing the way Tandy and Liam worked together and I like the way their powers work, particularly Tyrone's.  I've only read a few stories involving Cloak and Dagger but I know who they are.  I'll definitely be coming back to this series.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, benteen said:

I agree with your quibble.  I thought they were in New York.  Nothing about that location screamed New Orleans.

Other quibbles...apparently Tandy's dance studio is fine with letting little children wait by themselves out in the streets while waiting for their parents.  Also, Tandy driving the car they just stole with the "Just Married" writing on it is stupid.

That being said though, I really enjoyed this.  It was a good show, entertaining with strong leads.  I liked seeing the way Tandy and Liam worked together and I like the way their powers work, particularly Tyrone's.  I've only read a few stories involving Cloak and Dagger but I know who they are.  I'll definitely be coming back to this series.

Except the Maid of Honor name dropping Tulane. The actors did not try out their NOLA accents. But then we were spared NCIS swooping in to take the case.

Strange was young Tyrone confronting the actual chief of police, didn't he have four stars on? Why was he was doing the death notification along with the cover up? We don't have a red headed officer with a scar trust me, huh when the parents were young was about the end of that era. This was around 2010 in the story by the kids age, but then the flip phone puts it into the 90s.

On thing about the older cars, no key FOB's to defeat and probably not a lo-jack. I think it was on  Justified  the  last time I saw where a "Last OG" got out of a long term in prison and found that he cold not steal a new car.

(edited)

I liked this a lot. Good acting and solid storytelling with strong emotional beats. I can't see it lasting on FreeForm. 

I was glad to see Gloria Reuben.

Edited by SimoneS

I liked it. I didn't love it, but I'm intrigued enough to continue. I think both leads seem well cast so far. Very much enjoyed Tyrone. Can't say I like Tandy just yet, she is seriously manipulative in her schemes, if she didn't connect so personally with who she's about to rip off, I might be more into the character already.  I'm guessing that'll change soon, or I hope so. But I thought the premiere was a tad disjointed at times and even though they were going for that to a certain extent, I don't think it flowed quite as well as they wanted. Some things felt like WTH is happening now or just why is this happening. I found a ton of the basketball stuff to be unnecessary and unbelievable, but I actually know basketball so that could be the issue. Overall though, I liked it, but it's definitely more origin story and less superhero drama for now and more mature than I was thinking it would be.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

I liked this a lot. Good acting and solid storytelling with strong emotional beats. I can't see it lasting on FreeForm. 

I was glad to see Gloria Reuben.

What is the worry, ratings? 

4 hours ago, Raja said:

Strange was young Tyrone confronting the actual chief of police, didn't he have four stars on? Why was he was doing the death notification along with the cover up? We don't have a red headed officer with a scar trust me, huh when the parents were young was about the end of that era. This was around 2010 in the story by the kids age, but then the flip phone puts it into the 90s.

Flip phones along with sliders were still very prevalent in 2010. But I'd love to visit your version of the 90s. Sadly that was most certainly not the flip phone era, it was barely a cell phone era, anything from then was bulkier.

I'm not sure what you're talking about in terms of the 4 stars, but the guy who was the chief of police, I assume is going to be the bad cop's uncle who he needed to call that was going to help him cover everything up.

• Love 5

I caught "First Light" and got to say, I really enjoyed it.  If it is Marvel... I'm there, no doubt. I mentioned this with Runaways and some of the Netflix series, I'm not as well versed with Cloak and Dagger, so I'll be a touch relaxed on it isn't like the comics, they did this in the comics, etc. etc. blah blah...

I think my initial opinion was colored by the showing on FreeForm, but I'm glad all my worries were kinda proven wrong.

I loved Olivia way more than the Disney kid from AoS. The two leads were excellent.

This is another one of those sets of characters that have had mumblings of film/tv for years, so glad to finally see it coming to fruition... and start so strong.

• Love 2

I liked the characters well enough, but I think there was too much setup and nothing really happened to hook viewers and make them want to come back. It didn't help that the two leads basically each had their own stories that were almost completely separate from each other.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, JasmineFlower said:

I'm not sure what you're talking about in terms of the 4 stars, but the guy who was the chief of police, I assume is going to be the bad cop's uncle who he needed to call that was going to help him cover everything up.

The 4 stars being the lapel rank device it seems that most Chiefs of Police and Sheriffs wear no matter how small their departments are. The US Military didn't routinely have 4 star Generals and Admirals until after WWII when large active duty forces were first maintained by the US guess it is possible for a Chief to know by sight his 1500 officers. It just seemed strange for a big city Chief to be making the death notification, especially if there was the talk of his officer killing an unarmed boy while they were saying nobody fired a shot

There was something very unnerving about how that police detective's scenes were completely silent. 

The show looks good. Tandy is right now very unlikable but not unsympathetic. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, benteen said:

Also, Tandy driving the car they just stole with the "Just Married" writing on it is stupid.

She also gave her real name to a mark and actually used the tickets that she stole from someone else.  She's not a very good conwoman. I'm shocked this is the first time she was on the police's radar.

7 hours ago, Raja said:

The 4 stars being the lapel rank device it seems that most Chiefs of Police and Sheriffs wear no matter how small their departments are. The US Military didn't routinely have 4 star Generals and Admirals until after WWII when large active duty forces were first maintained by the US guess it is possible for a Chief to know by sight his 1500 officers. It just seemed strange for a big city Chief to be making the death notification, especially if there was the talk of his officer killing an unarmed boy while they were saying nobody fired a shot

Normally it wouldn't be him but since they were covering it up, it makes sense that he'd want to make sure that the cover up was done right.  That being said it was pretty stupid to try to gaslight a kid on the existence of someone who could easily be proven to exist.  

12 hours ago, paulvdb said:

I liked the characters well enough, but I think there was too much setup and nothing really happened to hook viewers and make them want to come back. It didn't help that the two leads basically each had their own stories that were almost completely separate from each other.

Oh yes it was deathly dull. I had to turn off.  Not to mention that it is "cloak and dagger" in name only. Another example of media companies trying to use a familiar name to get the audience to tune in but doing a bait and switch and writing pretty much a separate story. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I know absolutely nothing about this comic and so I wonder if that was why I had literally no idea what was happening at pretty much any time lol. I was still intrigued by it though and I'll keep watching. Hopefully it'll make more sense to me soon.

I liked Tyrone and I loved Liam. I hope Liam is a main character.

Spoiler

(ETA: I just checked and he's only in 4 eps. Honestly that makes me way less interested in the show.)  

I also liked Tyrone's mom and dad.

Tandy sucks, but I get why she does. I wasn't a fan of the actress though.

I was most confused by why the detective that was I guess investigating the rapey guy's stabbing didn't talk until she arrested Liam. So weird. And what was the phone number the other cop put on her coffee cup?

Edited by saoirse
Added spoiler tag to future information
  • Love 1

I liked it and am interested in seeing what happens next. When I wasn't so sure since it's on Freeform. I'll guess I'll be the odd one, I liked Tandy. I know she's selfish and not a very good grifter but I find her situation sympathetic. I like Tyrone too. And I feel for poor Liam. He's a good guy that actually cares and would've helped her out. However now I think the cop arrested him to get to Tandy since that's the picture she was showing around. 

18 hours ago, paulvdb said:

I agree.  By the end I was immensely frustrated that the titular pair were still completely separate from each other.  Way, way back I actually had the first issues of the Cloak and Dagger comic books.  I've been curious how the origin story was going to be reworked for the TV show.  I think I was frustrated in the separate stories because in the comic, if I recall correctly, the pair was together from the beginning.  For me, I couldn't help thinking, alright, alright, pair up already.  

I also liked poor Liam but I figured he was a throwaway character which is too bad.  I'd also like to see more of NOLA.  The only time I got the feeling of the city was the obligatory chase thru the cemetery.

• Love 3
(edited)

Regarding the date, I think the rig exploded just after Katrina so 2005 from the references to the storm etc. Tandys mom is still living in a fema trailer. So I'm not sure that the "now" eps are our now of 2018.

Edited by PugLoaf
15 hours ago, Oscirus said:

Normally it wouldn't be him but since they were covering it up, it makes sense that he'd want to make sure that the cover up was done right.  That being said it was pretty stupid to try to gaslight a kid on the existence of someone who could easily be proven to exist.  

My impression was that they WEREN'T covering it up; I thought the shooter was some private security contractor, probably for Roxxon, not part of the police force. Did I interpret this wrong?

19 hours ago, ursula said:

There was something very unnerving about how that police detective's scenes were completely silent. 

The show looks good. Tandy is right now very unlikable but not unsympathetic. 

I actually thought that the detective was mute and/or deaf and that's why we didn't see her talk to anyone or anyone talk to her. I was disappointed when we hear her arrest Liam. It would have been interesting to see such a character.

I know nothing about the comic books the show is based on but I still liked both episodes. Both characters are interesting in their own ways. Agreed on finding Tandy a bit hard to like but I have no doubt my feelings on that will mellow once we get to know her a little bit more.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, owenthurman said:

My impression was that they WEREN'T covering it up; I thought the shooter was some private security contractor, probably for Roxxon, not part of the police force. Did I interpret this wrong?

They were the cops who saw the brothers with a car stereo and when they ran chased the brothers onto the docks.

11 hours ago, unicorn23 said:

I actually thought that the detective was mute and/or deaf and that's why we didn't see her talk to anyone or anyone talk to her. I was disappointed when we hear her arrest Liam. It would have been interesting to see such a character.

All her scenes were silent, though. Even the ones with Rapists's friends, and we knew that they could talk. So I knew it was a scene/directing choice. It was just really unnerving.

But a mute detective would have been awesome and now I feel bad that we didn't get that. 

15 hours ago, owenthurman said:

Yes. There's a scene where Tyrone googles him and figures out the cop in question does exist.

I believe the detective scenes were quiet so we can assume it's about the stabbing but it turns out to be that she's in trouble for something else entirely. 

1 hour ago, Oscirus said:

I believe the detective scenes were quiet so we can assume it's about the stabbing but it turns out to be that she's in trouble for something else entirely. 

But it is for the stabbing, isn't it? We saw shots of Rapey's knife wounds, and she interviewed his cohorts. 

It seems the silent scenes was just an artistic choice which seemed unnecessary and jarring, especially as @unicorn23 pointed out, it would have been cooler if the detective was really mute, and her scenes were filmed like that for that purpose. 

I finally got a chance to watch it.  I like the potential.  But I kept wanting something to really happen to make the story exciting.  I get the need for set up but the backstory and angst went on for just a beat too long.

A couple of other things bothered me -- like why was his coach so determined to see him in the wrong?  There was obvious dirty plays during the game and bad reffing.  Why did no one else on his team see it?  I get that for plot purposes they wanted him to be alienated from his team, but that just stretches credibility.   Also once he found the cop, why didn't he got to his parents and say 'Hey remember the red headed cop with the scar?  I found him, his name is Connor and his uncle was the guy that told us he didn't exist."  I think there were too many artistic gaps in the storytelling that contributed to some of the feeling of set up and not enough action.

Also I agree that Tandy is a terrible grifter.  She preys on people in a place that she is such a regular at that the bartender knows her regular drink?  The guy didn't have to track her down at the ballet, he just had to go back to the club.  Also who lifts wallets at a place where the people are going to be needing them right there to buy drinks and immediately realize they've been robbed?  A pickpocket picks the pockets and leaves really quickly.  She was still hanging around.  Also it looked like she and Liam were the last guests to leave the wedding? The banquet room looked deserted and the maid of honor was tipping the staff.   But then why was the 'just married' car still there?  Usually the married couple leaves driving away in the car while everyone throws shit at them as they drive off.  And don[t get me started about her driving around in that car...talk about an open invitation to get pulled over by the cops given that she just robbed the wedding!

Kinda of a shame I liked Liam more than I liked Tandy.    At first  thought he was shady, but then they went in the direction of him just being a schmoe in love.  He could still be shady I guess, but her little trip into his mind didn't lean that way.  I'd really pissed off at her if she just lets him twist in the wind like that.

Even though this sounds like I hated it, LOL, I didn't.  It is still interesting enough that I want to keep watching.  I just hope it moves into more decisive action pretty soon.

• Love 8
(edited)
On 6/8/2018 at 2:16 AM, Oscirus said:

Roxxon is a pretty big antagonist, even if it doesn't involve costumes.  Also... dirty cops. 

This did a good job of synthesizing the comic book stuff into something Marvel TV universe appropriate. True there's very little of the classic backstory here, but I can see these characters becoming like the comic book ones even with this different start. And it seems to fit right in with the vibe of the Netflix shows, even if it's on a different channel. 

Edited by Kromm

Its been awhile since I read a Cloak and Dagger story, but I liked this take on it. It seems to be doing a broad strokes thing to allow it to fit into the MCU more, and it worked pretty well for me. The MCU pretty frequently picks and chooses what it keeps and ditches from the original, and just makes up other stuff they either think could be interesting or works better for the format, so I dont mind that its different than the comics. They did a good job at setting up the leads and their issues, and its interesting seeing how their powers work. Pretty unique power sets. And the two leads are really good, and their characters are interesting and sympathetic.

Tandy was cold as ice leaving poor Liam twisting in the wind, especially right after she saw how much he loved her, and everything he did to help her. Poor Liam, I really liked him, and even though I knew that he couldn't stick around as her bf for too long (being pretty must destined to get with Tyrone) I hope he can get a bit more to do. I do feel for Tandy, even if she isnt super likable. Her life has been pretty awful, and I get how she ended up rather cutthroat. 

I like Tyrone and his family a lot, especially his mom. I can see how she could be exhausting as a parent, but she so clearly loves her family so much. And its an interesting contrast to Tandys mom. When Tyrone's mom went through a tragedy, she pulled herself up and helped her family get to a better place, while Tandys mom clearly fell apart when she lost her husband and money. 

My one real complaint is the show doesn't really seem like New Orleans, besides a few name drops of Tulane, the tie in with Katrina, and the run through the cemetery. I dont need it to be all jazz parades and Mardi Gras floats all the time, but New Orleans is one of the most unique and personality filled cities in the US, and this mostly just seemed like any generic city. I dont think anyone even attempted a NOLA accent once even. I hope we see more of the cities flavor later. 

I also hope that Tandy and Tyrone find each other soon. I want them to come together, and not just live out two totally separate stories. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

When Tyrone's mom went through a tragedy, she pulled herself up and helped her family get to a better place, while Tandys mom clearly fell apart when she lost her husband and money.

I think Tandy's mom was already like that before her husband died. Remember that she didn't show up to pick Tandy up from her ballet lesson. That's why Tandy's father had to pick her up. But things got worse for Tandy when she lost her father because he was no longer around to provide an income and take care of Tandy when her mother wasn't there for her.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, paulvdb said:

I think Tandy's mom was already like that before her husband died. Remember that she didn't show up to pick Tandy up from her ballet lesson. That's why Tandy's father had to pick her up. But things got worse for Tandy when she lost her father because he was no longer around to provide an income and take care of Tandy when her mother wasn't there for her.

It looked like she had a genuine back injury that spiralley into medication, then substance abuse. Unless the back injury was already an excuse that her father came up with to cover for her mom.

21 hours ago, ursula said:

But it is for the stabbing, isn't it? We saw shots of Rapey's knife wounds, and she interviewed his cohorts. 

It seems the silent scenes was just an artistic choice which seemed unnecessary and jarring, especially as @unicorn23 pointed out, it would have been cooler if the detective was really mute, and her scenes were filmed like that for that purpose. 

If it was for the stabbing , her partner wouldn't have been arrested since he wasn't even there.  I assume the arrest has to do with those infamous diamonds with their "microetchings."

I watched this yesterday and I enjoyed it. I love Tyrone and his family. I like Tandy and her bf. I have never read the comics or know anything of these characters from the comics, so that might be the main reason I enjoyed this so much.

My #1 negative is that I think the writers are taking too many short cuts to move the story along which causes plot-holes that could have easily be avoided and takes away scenes that could enriched the characters/stories. 

I can't wait for Tyrone and Tandy to be put in the same story.  

5 hours ago, Oscirus said:

If it was for the stabbing , her partner wouldn't have been arrested since he wasn't even there.  I assume the arrest has to do with those infamous diamonds with their "microetchings."

Rapey's family owned the diamonds with "micro-etchings" so if his friends had told the detective - and they probably did - that the same girl that stabbed him was the one who had cleaned out his parents's house, it's all connected. And the unless Rapey's awake, his friends can't say for certain if Liam was there or not, and might have actually been the one to do the stabbing. But he and Tandy are clearly partners-in-crime so the detective most likely believes that nabbing one will lead to nabbing the other. 

• Love 2

Caught up with "Suicide Sprints".

So... loved the episode, but noticed Tandy goes through with this elaborate new identity/rob a wedding... but leaves the just married sign and cans dragging along on the car.

I'm assuming Liam will be arrested because of a previous robbing spree... but damn Tandy, left Liam to hang out to dry. I want to know where Liam goes from here, puppy dog still loyal to and follows Tandy... or will revenge be on his mind.  I don't want this to be the end of the character.

Now I can't remember.  Did the detective actually every say what they were arresting Liam for.  If not, then Liam's arrest is one of those things that you have to fill in the blanks on.  As far as we know Liam was never seen in Tandy's presence by the Rapey or his friends.  So if he was arrested it would be 1) because someone identified him as a known associate of Tandy's and the detective is arresting him to lead to Tandy and 2) the detective had something on him to arrest him for his own crime(s).  His arrest, even if on unrelated charges, has to be all about getting Tandy because otherwise his arrest by that detective just at that time is too coincidental.

(edited)

"I'll guess I'll be the odd one, I liked Tandy. I know she's selfish and not a very good grifter but I find her situation sympathetic."

I like her too. She's cold blooded, but it makes sense given her upbringing. And I like this switch up with Tandy being the street wise one and Tyrone...not so much.

Tyrone's isolation on the basketball team makes sense to me. The school seems to be mostly white outside of Tyrone and his temporary LI(correct me if I'm wrong). My older went to a private school like that when he was in high school on a basketball scholarship. Long story short, my brother is very wary around white people. Not antagonistically so, but....

Put me down as also wanting the duo to finally get together. I hope this isn't like that other Marvel teen show where it took the characters an entire season to do the thing their show was named for.

Edited by Gwen-Stacys
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Gwen-Stacys said:

I hope this isn't like that other Marvel teen show where it took the characters an entire season to do the thing their show was named for.

Well we've already seem them cloaking and daggering (stab, stab).  Just not really with each other.

• Love 1

I already like this show better than the Runaways that took out all the interesting parts of the comics. They changed aliens, time travelers and magic to fake science.  Why?  At least Cloak and Dagger are keeping it powers based. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Kromm said:

Well we've already seem them cloaking and daggering (stab, stab).  Just not really with each other.

However not under control so not yet vigilante superheros

14 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I already like this show better than the Runaways that took out all the interesting parts of the comics. They changed aliens, time travelers and magic to fake science.  Why?  At least Cloak and Dagger are keeping it powers based. 

I never read the comics for Runaway or Cloak & Dagger (or any other Marvel and DC shows that I watch) but I agree that the fake science in Runaways was not a good idea.

On the other hand I think the pilot for Runaways did a better job than Cloak & Dagger introducing the main storyline and getting the main characters together and involved in the main storyline.

Yeah, they could have invented a random town/city and not have it be New Orleans. I think it took until episode three before I figured out where they were supposed to be living.

Tandy is lucky she didn't catch pneumonia from having to wait for her father for what must have been a few hours. In the rain. And then the submerged car and sleeping in the cold.

I'm also in the like but not love category. The premise is interesting though.

You know who I found interesting? Evita and Liam. Oddly enough.

The detective not speaking for most of the episode was really strange. Must have been an easy payday for the actress, though.