Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot / S01.E02: Tender Belly

An obese Plum is determined to get weight loss surgery, but an encounter with a mysterious woman propels her down a risky path; Jennifer attacks.

and

As the country learns more about Jennifer and its motives, Plum visits a radical feminist organization where she's made an offer she can't refuse.

I saw the first 15 minutes of this (on demand) and I loved it. I have heard it isn't quite going to be what those first 15 minutes suggest but if the rage holds true I will be a happy camper. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm confused, my DVR only recorded one episode, but several reviews/descriptions I've read said there were two tonight? 

Edited to add: Okay, figured it out. For some reason my DVR recorded the Pilot on WE? And WE only had the pilot? Weird.

Btw, Joy Nash is wonderful.

Edited by I-Kare
  • Love 3
(edited)

Wow, I enjoyed the hell of this. Joy Nash is so freaking talented. I can't wait to see Plum embrace her anger and lash out. I am ticked off that Dominic is spying on her. I don't understand why he is suspicious of her. I like Plum's bestfriend, Steven. He cares about her. She should listen to him.

The revenge element reminds me of Sweet Vicious which was cancelled.

I love seeing how Tamara Tunie's career has blown up since her As The World Turns days.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 6

Joy Nash is great and I’m watching the Aisha Tyler after show now and she’s on it. I like Steven too, he’s her true friend. I like the goth girl too. Not sure what’s going on with the murders yet but looking forward to the coming episodes. 

• Love 6
(edited)

@Straycat80, the goth chick was weird, but it was very sweet how much she adored Plum.

I am watching Joy, Marti, and Lindy on Aisha's after show also. I love how straight forward Marti Noxon is being. She is damn right that women shouldn't apologize for portraying women acting like men. I am enjoying Jennifer sending men splat. Ha.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 8

My head is still spinning from trying to figure out what was going on.  I find Unapologetic loud and screechy, even though it's right on.  Marti has that annoying vocal habit of saying "y'know" every ten words, which makes her sound insecure and unsure of herself. 

• Love 3

After watching the sneak peek on Unapologetic with Aisha Tyler...

Spoiler

I now understand why Dominic is suspicious of Plum. Interestingly, he doesn't believe that she is involved and seems to really like her.

• Love 1

A+ for the casting director! Joy Nash is great in this role. After so many seasons of watching Julianna Marguiles as Alicia Florrick spend most of her time with a poker face, it's nice to see her in such a different role.  Throughout the two episodes I kept seeing other actors I recognized like Tamara Tunie (who was so underused on SVU), Robin Weigert (I kept waiting for Calamity Jane to drop a few F bombs), Debra Monk (who still thinks you should be a ballerina!). I love that there are multiple actresses over the age of 50 (Julianna, Tamara, and Debra) as well as a few who are close to 50 (Robin is 48 and Rowena is 49) and that their characters are more than grandmothers wearing velour tracksuits while complaining about how confusing the internet is. They are smart, powerful women with agendas. For that reason alone, I hope this show does well so that Hollywood sees that you can cast women who are older than 25 and have a successful outcome.

Watching both episodes back to back was a lot to take in (and I say that as someone who read the book) so hopefully that doesn't scare people off from watching.

• Love 21

I liked everything about it, but I have to admit that's probably because I totally identify with Plum (although I did manage a major weight loss after I retired).  Despite the great acting and writing, I can't imagine there will be much of an audience for this, which is a shame.  I din't read the book (didn't even know about it), so am totally unspoiled (ha ha).

• Love 5

I haven't read the book either, but, I was rather amused by it.  I think that I will follow it.  I had a few issues with some of the directing and writing, but, other than that, I liked it. I think the actors are fine, but, aren't getting proper direction.   I thought some things were over the top and a little too preachy.  But, I'm still curious to see where it goes.  I agree that it may fall into a category that doesn't get much of a following. 

• Love 2

I love love love this show, it is insane, and am in love with Tiger Man! Where did they come up with this, oh yeah, the book.  I haven't read it either gals, but am kinda glad I will not be spoiled.  Power to the Women! So far, this is terrific. Great casting! 

• Love 3

The tiger was the best, especially his advice to Plum that her writing should be "more muscular."  I like how everyone (especially the various Austen women) really seem to be enjoying themselves. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I haven't read the book, although I intend to, and I love to watch serial dramas, like this, as if they're a book. I'm smitten with the actress Robin Weigert and intrigued by her character, Verena. Plum references the Winchester Mystery House when Verena takes her to the auditorium, explaining upon her acquisition of multiple properties on the corner block, they expanded the buildings and Jake couldn't stop renovating the buildings. I've been to the Winchester House as child but couldn't think of what it's relevance would be here, until I googled it. Sweet payoff! Of course, the Winchester House is that of Sara Winchester, the widow of firearm magnate William Wirt Winchester. It was believed to be haunted by the souls of the lives that had been taken by Winchester Rifles. There's so much to talk about, I hope interest picks up.

Edited by HadleyFields
  • Love 6

This was really cool, seems like it has a ton of potential. The acting is really great, especially the lead, and I like the many plot lines and how they are all tied together. or arent tied together, I haven't totally figured out whats all going on, and what, if any, connection any of the people we met have to the people in witch masks who are apparently kidnapping and killing rapists and abusers. That whole subplot reminds me a lot of Sweet/Vicious, the late great MTV show that I am still salty didnt get more than one season. 

Its rather quirky, but with enough bite that it doesn't come off as ridiculous. Really excited to see where it goes from here.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, HadleyFields said:

I haven't read the book, although I intend to, and I love to watch serial dramas, like this, as if they're a book. I'm smitten with the actress Robin Weigert and intrigued by her character, Verena. Plum references the Winchester Mystery House when Verena takes her to the auditorium, explaining upon her acquisition of multiple properties on the corner block, they expanded the buildings and Jake couldn't stop renovating the buildings. I've been to the Winchester House as child but couldn't think of what it's relevance would be here, until I googled it. Sweet payoff! Of course, the Winchester House is that of Sara Winchester, the widow of firearm magnate William Wirt Winchester. It was believed to be haunted by the souls of the lives that had been taken by Winchester Rifles. There's so much to talk about, I hope interest picks up.

The recent movie Winchester with Helen Mirren (as Sara) is all about the house.

• Love 2

I'm not completely sold yet....depends on what the Jennifer thing is all about.  I just hope I don't get invested and the season doesn't play out due to low ratings or something. 

• Love 1

the lead actress is fantastic. love her. i wish her success. i like it so far. not too sure about the jennifer part. i hope plum is not involved, i tried to pay attention, may have overlooked something,  but it looks like she is very interested in these news stories, more than as just a viewer.

now as far as julianna margolis, she is frightening. i hope she this look is all for the character because i can't stop looking at her and not in a good way. very very thin. scarily thin, although it looks like she is working out. but still, i can almost see thru her. go eat a donut. yikes. 

robin weigert is awesome as usual. calamity jane! 

• Love 6

I'm going to have to watch it again. I don't know what is going on, but I like the lead actress. I also like that there are "older" women involved, and they are smart and attrative. 

• Love 4

I did read the book, though it was years ago, so I didn't have much trouble following the story. There were parts of the book I'd forgotten, like the Verena/Baptist Plan stuff, but the Jennifer stuff really stuck with me--probably for obvious reasons (just watch the news).

Love seeing all these actresses--I remember Tamara from ATWT all those years ago!

• Love 2
(edited)

I saw this last night, it may have been 2 episodes.  I enjoyed it even when I didn't know WTF was going on, so the cast is excellent.   It's different,  and kind of refreshing, with a little mystery and weirdness but no walkers or shootouts.

Edited by Razzberry
  • Love 2

OK, whewwwwww what is this show?  I gave it a try and was thinking about removing it from my DVR when I got engrossed in the plot....I just HAD to keep watching to figure out what the hell is going on.  It made me smile, it made me concerned, it made me like characters then turn around in the next few minutes and realize I didn't like that character!!!  WTF is going on????  I am intrigued and will definitely be watching more....I gotta find out what is happening.

• Love 3

I am confused too.  I just found this so will miss episode 2 and 3 since they are not on demand, oddly enough since the pilot is.  I am watching it now.  I just read a synopsis of the book plot and another article on how the TV.   It was a huge help.  It gives nothing away on Wikipedia.  It gives you the gist of what is going on.  

There is a pinch of Twin Peaks, in here. 

This is Us sure missed the boat in casting Chrissy Metz  instead of Joy Nash.  I love this woman.  I am glad they did as I hate This is Us and all of that cast.   

• Love 1

I really enjoyed this but I'm afraid it won't find it's audience and is doomed.  I get so tired of getting into shows only to have them cancelled quickly with no resolution.

• Love 2
On 6/5/2018 at 8:55 AM, mjc570 said:

I liked everything about it, but I have to admit that's probably because I totally identify with Plum (although I did manage a major weight loss after I retired).  Despite the great acting and writing, I can't imagine there will be much of an audience for this, which is a shame.  I din't read the book (didn't even know about it), so am totally unspoiled (ha ha).

The book was a best seller. And people are obsessed with dieting. The casting is very good. I'm thinking that it will gain popularity via word of mouth - like Teachers  

• Love 1
On 6/4/2018 at 8:04 PM, SimoneS said:

The revenge element reminds me of Sweet Vicious which was cancelled.

On 6/5/2018 at 8:03 PM, tennisgurl said:

That whole subplot reminds me a lot of Sweet/Vicious, the late great MTV show that I am still salty didnt get more than one season.

I recently started watching this and binged what was available, but add me to the Sweet/Vicious list! I loved that show and was salty with a side of beef that it was cancelled. I was hoping this show would follow in that vein, though I'm still not sure where it is heading, yet.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 6/12/2018 at 4:50 PM, Wings said:

This is Us sure missed the boat in casting Chrissy Metz  instead of Joy Nash.  I love this woman.  I am glad they did as I hate This is Us and all of that cast.   

I hadn't thought about that, but you are so right!!  I like This Is Us, except for Chrissy. She is not that good of an actress, and unpleasant to look at.  Joy Nash would have been incredible in that role!

And I agree with Msrachelj that Juliana Margolis is appalingly thin.  

Edited by MBayGal
  • Love 1