Type keyword(s) to search

Finals, Training Camp and Social Media

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

8 minutes ago, ShellyB said:

Thanks for your kind words. The cut was surprising, to say the least. I’m not going to battle screen names with no personal connections to DCC on a message board. Dayton is a beautiful girl and talented dancer, with one of the most humble spirits you will ever meet. She is also resilient and this won’t define her. She has a few plans up her sleeve, which do not include any college dance team, she’s entering her junior year after all. Her family is in full support of anything she wants to pursue.

Thanks for letting us know.  Everyone has their fav TCC but I believe we all pull for girls to make it!   

I wonder if this was a Kitty night?  Everybody’s path is different and changes from time to time.  

Looking forward to the show. 

Thank you @ShellyB for taking the time to come to this forum to interact with us. Your insights make for great reading for a mere fan such as myself. I must say that I was rooting for Dayton to make the squad this year. I am saddened now that it has been confirmed that she was cut. I wish this mature young lady nothing but the best for the future, whether she decides to reaudition or not. It shows strength of character that Dayton had the guts to go through this process. She has a fan in me! :) 

• Love 17
(edited)

I'd love to ask Kelli why Victoria is getting such a wide pass (her dancing is poor) yet Dayton received no such grace.  The "friends and family program" to making the DCC must only apply to select folks.

Edited by Smplsimon
  • Love 6

Can a former DCC try out again if they were cut?   If so, how come we don't see more of them try out again the next year?  For instance Allie, Caila, Breelan, Kat Rogers, etc?

3 minutes ago, TUOwl84 said:

Can a former DCC try out again if they were cut?   If so, how come we don't see more of them try out again the next year?  For instance Allie, Caila, Breelan, Kat Rogers, etc?

They can and they have. I can't remember which season but they showed one of the girls who had been cut coming back to try out again. It was one of the early seasons is all I can remember though. She did not make it back to finals even I don't think 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Holly85 said:

If this is true who runs rookie week if everyone else is off for the week 

I imagine the former DCCs who were teaching dances at auditions.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ShellyB said:

Thanks for your kind words. The cut was surprising, to say the least. I’m not going to battle screen names with no personal connections to DCC on a message board. Dayton is a beautiful girl and talented dancer, with one of the most humble spirits you will ever meet. She is also resilient and this won’t define her. She has a few plans up her sleeve, which do not include any college dance team, she’s entering her junior year after all. Her family is in full support of anything she wants to pursue.

As a mom, my heart goes out to you. It’s hard to see your children hurting. I for one think Dayton is a beautiful girl, and I was rooting for her. 

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I imagine the former DCCs who were teaching dances at auditions.

I believe Shelly was with the TC Candidates last year when the vets went to Canton for the HOF game. They probably have staff members who work with the girls when Kelli and Judy are not at practice for some reason.

46 minutes ago, Txmomof2 said:

They can and they have. I can't remember which season but they showed one of the girls who had been cut coming back to try out again. It was one of the early seasons is all I can remember though. She did not make it back to finals even I don't think 

Also Jenna Allison from season 6 tried out again in season 11 I think. She made it to finals but didn't make it back to TC. She was a one year that was cut for weight at finals in season 7. 

• Love 1

Hi everyone I'm a longtime reader but first time poster. I also wanted to add my thanks to @ShellyB for her unique insights to the show and realistic feedback on events. She has always struck me as being genuine and down to earth as did Dayton. I think Dayton has the DCC look and attitude that would make her an asset to the team. She had a great deAl of support on this board and would have again if she decides to try out again. Some of the best DCC in the past had to try out multiple times before making the squad. I wish her all the best and hope that she decides to try out again as the team could use more girls like her IMO.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, ShellyB said:

This makes my heart sad!! I too am a mom, and have had daughters who have danced. Try outs are not easy for anyone. Dayton was my absolute favorite, and I hope if she doesn't try out for a college team, that she possibly goes for another professional team. I still can't imagine what they could have cut her for. Sending prayers!!!

• Love 7

I want to say to @ShellyB, I really admired the way both of you handled her getting cut last year.  I like most of us was hoping this was her year.  It is apparent you and your husband have raised an amazing young lady who will go far.  Let her know she has a lot of fans wishing her well.  You are both a class act.

• Love 12
27 minutes ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

Also Jenna Allison from season 6 tried out again in season 11 I think. She made it to finals but didn't make it back to TC. She was a one year that was cut for weight at finals in season 7. 

Wonder if she'd ever consider auditioning again now that the Spurs Silver Dancers have disbanded.

2 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I believe Shelly was with the TC Candidates last year when the vets went to Canton for the HOF game. They probably have staff members who work with the girls when Kelli and Judy are not at practice for some reason.

Yes...that is normally the case. This time, I’m traveling.

• Love 10

I'm sorry Dayton was cut. I was assuming she would make it this year, which just goes to show that you shouldn't assume anything. I feel really bad for her though, but I bet if she comes back next year she will make it. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, adukesantana said:

WHY OH WHY didn't she show up looking like this!!! She was sooooo talented!!!

Woah. This is not a good picture. Her face looks so different from her body

• Love 5
4 hours ago, NMDD43 said:
9 hours ago, adukesantana said:

Woah. This is not a good picture. Her face looks so different from her body

I don't know if it's the filter or the flash with the makeup or what, but girl has a bit of an ombre effect going on here between her face and her knees.  It's seriously too bad cause it's a truly gorgeous pic of her otherwise - eyes are amazing, body is rocking, and that is one beautiful smile.

(edited)
21 minutes ago, Lolfordays said:

I think it is cool of Shelley to come here and answer this particular question. And I agree — I really do think Dayton was one of the prettiest girls. Lots of these girls can get Dallas glam and get the “look”, but Dayton is just pretty without all of that overdone stuff. Very similar to Brianna last year — maybe not the DCC look, but actually beautiful instead.

Also, I am dead at “surprising to say the least” and want to know the scoop:). I do think that regardless of what anyone thinks of Dayton, it’s weird and almost cruel to bring in someone you are entirely familiar with including their dancing, and cut them this early. I hear what people are saying about lyrical translating to DCC style, but let’s be real they have been seeing Dayton train DCC style for a year now. This isn’t some random from the other side of the country they know nothing about. Really why are they so bad at choosing candidates all the time?

In other words, maybe Dayton doesn’t have DCC style or isn’t a great interview or doesn’t “look good in the uniform” — who knows. But K&J not knowing that ahead of time in this instance, or knowing and still bringing her in anyway, just reflects poorly on them. She was not some mysterious unknown entity. 

I totally agree with “surprising to say the least”.  My understanding is the TCC get notes and lists of improvements they need to work on each week, and then show improvement when K&J are there. Maybe she wasn’t showing enough improvement, or under pressure couldn’t remember the moves?  Maybe it was a Kitty night? Also, fair is fair is fair, but if I was the director in this situation (knowing them personally) I would have at least let Shelly know that I felt she was struggling & her daughter might be at risk of not making it this year, so it wasn’t a complete surprise. They did love her audition solo though...Barbie! 

Edited by Jazzmom
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Jazzmom said:

I totally agree with “surprising to say the least”.  My understanding is the TCC get notes and lists of improvements they need to work on each week, and then show improvement when K&J are there. Maybe she wasn’t showing enough improvement, or under pressure couldn’t remember the moves?  Maybe it was a Kitty night? Also, fair is fair is fair, but if I was the director in this situation (knowing them personally) I would have at least let Shelly know that I felt she was struggling & her daughter might be at risk of not making it this year, so it wasn’t a complete surprise. They did love her audition solo though...Barbie! 

But a Kitty night — I would have been shocked if Dayton wasn’t training with Kitty all year leading up to this. At some point don’t people like Kitty respect Shelley enough to say “Listen this isn’t going to work, let’s rethink trying out”?

Basically, I was wondering how any of these people let it get to this point with someone they know this well.  

Unless it is for show drama.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Lolfordays said:

But a Kitty night — I would have been shocked if Dayton wasn’t training with Kitty all year leading up to this. At some point don’t people like Kitty respect Shelley enough to say “Listen this isn’t going to work, let’s rethink trying out”?

Basically, I was wondering how any of these people let it get to this point with someone they know this well.  

Unless it is for show drama.

i can't help but wonder. 

• Love 12

Full disclosure: I don’t live in Dallas, I am not an insider, and I don’t know the Dallas dance scene beyond what is posted on these boards. However, I don’t recall seeing Dayton in a bunch of prep class videos like we saw with girls like Erin, VK, and Madeline. That doesn’t mean that she wasn’t taking classes, and even if she wasn’t, Dayton is in college, so it makes sense that she has other things on her plate, but it wouldn’t shock me if the lack of DCC style (if that’s the reason for the cut) was unexpected.

Certainly though, I would hope that Shelly and Dayton would’ve been given a heads up if she was at serious risk of being cut. If not, I think that’s wrong, and I don’t even think it’s a favoritism thing either. Short of getting cut for a major disciplinary issue that was just discovered, no TCC should be shocked or surprised when they cut if K&J are doing their jobs correctly.

• Love 5

Dayton’s cut I’m sure will make sense when we watch the season. It’s pretty obvious to me she got into training camp because of who her mom is.   Once in camp, it was up to her to prove herself and she fell short.  I don’t see what the drama is there.  She’s lucky she had an “in”.  99.9% if the tcc’s don’t have that luxury. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, pizzaandcatsrlife said:

Dayton’s cut I’m sure will make sense when we watch the season. It’s pretty obvious to me she got into training camp because of who her mom is.   Once in camp, it was up to her to prove herself and she fell short.  I don’t see what the drama is there.  She’s lucky she had an “in”.  99.9% if the tcc’s don’t have that luxury. 

I think the point is, K&J have a history of making stupid cuts that make no sense.

Dayton’s ability or look is irrelevant here to me — if K&J are good at what they do, and if they respect Shelley who for whatever anyone thinks of her is by all accounts a loyal soldier to them in the DCC army — they know what Dayton is before try outs even start. And they know if it’s going to work before try outs even start.

I hate bringing up Cassie because it’s such a dead horse, but Cassie TCC try out was garbage. She was not that great in training camp. But they kept her, and honestly she became a perfectly fine DCC. Part of her “in” was likely that they knew her work ethic, level of commitment, and dance progress coming from a cheer background. The knew it would work out.  I don’t buy they don’t know the same about Dayton — so if it isn’t going to work, why bring her in?

Are we really supposed to buy that Kelli has watched Dayton grow up dancing since she was an infant, that her daughter is her good friend and clearly Kelli has been exposed to her personality for two decades, and yet in three weeks of TC that Kelli doesn’t even attend most of some difference maker came to light? I doubt it. Moreso than probably everyone but Victoria, they knew what they were getting with Dayton. 

• Love 11
17 minutes ago, pizzaandcatsrlife said:

If Dayton got into TC because of Shelly then why did she not make it last year to TC. I think Dayton is a sweet, talented, lovely young lady with a good head on her shoulders with a bright future ahead of her. I can see why Shelly and the rest of her family are so darn proud of her.

Not trying to start drama... I’m really new here...

Why would anyone want to slap the face of someone offering information/ insights and behind-the-scenes facts when she clearly doesn’t have to do so? 

From what I’ve read here, Shelly has been an important part of this board... why tear her daughter down or try to insert drama between her and her workmates? It’s honestly a question. I get the funny, snarky, catty comments on the board, and some of it is funny. But, this stuff about Dayton just feels gratuitous to me. 

Not trying to offend. 

• Love 18
2 minutes ago, Taralightner said:

Not trying to start drama... I’m really new here...

Why would anyone want to slap the face of someone offering information/ insights and behind-the-scenes facts when she clearly doesn’t have to do so? 

From what I’ve read here, Shelly has been an important part of this board... why tear her daughter down or try to insert drama between her and her workmates? It’s honestly a question. I get the funny, snarky, catty comments on the board, and some of it is funny. But, this stuff about Dayton just feels gratuitous to me. 

Not trying to offend. 

Honestly, I think this line is super blurry. Shelley is a character on this show — so is Dayton. This plays out on a show. This forum is about that show. ??

• Love 9

I don’t buy that Dayton wasn’t picking it up... there’s no way she and Shelly weren’t drilling those routines as much as humanly possible and tapping into every avenue possible to make sure she had the dances down cold (IE pulling in outside help to make sure there was a trusted / critical 3rd set of eyes on things.) I just don’t see that being the reason for the cut. Maybe she froze up in front of K / J, but that’s not a good enough reason to be the 3rd person cut. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Lunacat said:

I don’t buy that Dayton wasn’t picking it up... there’s no way she and Shelly weren’t drilling those routines as much as humanly possible and tapping into every avenue possible to make sure she had the dances down cold (IE pulling in outside help to make sure there was a trusted / critical 3rd set of eyes on things.) I just don’t see that being the reason for the cut. Maybe she froze up in front of K / J, but that’s not a good enough reason to be the 3rd person cut. 

Just wait until you see the episodes.  Unless they really edit it out, you'll see someone struggling big time.

• Love 3

I've struggled morally with the show, pro cheerleading, and with this board. Chiefly, because BEING PRETTY IS NOT A CHARACTER TRAIT.  It is a genetic blessing (or a good surgeon). If a woman is of average looks or has an ounce of fat, she doesn't need to be banished.

Dayton is certainly very pretty, with a unique look. I don't care. They have cut absolutely stunning ladies. I have never seen Dayton dance, so I have ZERO information on whether her cut was justified. The argument that she is sooo pretty is just weak to me.

I am definitely not anti-Dayton. She seems like a lovely, well-rounded young lady. I wish her well and hope she re-auditions, if that is her goal. 

I'll be interested to hear what Judy has to say. IMHO Judy focuses on the dancing, and not all the other BS. If she's doubtful of Dayton, I'll accept it regardless of her edit.

• Love 21
1 hour ago, Smplsimon said:

Just wait until you see the episodes.  Unless they really edit it out, you'll see someone struggling big time.

Why is Dayton being turned into a martyr?  I agree Simon, she was probably struggling!  I guess I don’t understand why everyone is so upset with her cut.  DCC is not life or death.  Dayton is a healthy, beautiful woman and she’ll be just fine. 

• Love 15
(edited)
37 minutes ago, hypeman said:

I've struggled morally with the show, pro cheerleading, and with this board. Chiefly, because BEING PRETTY IS NOT A CHARACTER TRAIT.  It is a genetic blessing (or a good surgeon). If a woman is of average looks or has an ounce of fat, she doesn't need to be banished.

Dayton is certainly very pretty, with a unique look. I don't care. They have cut absolutely stunning ladies. I have never seen Dayton dance, so I have ZERO information on whether her cut was justified. The argument that she is sooo pretty is just weak to me.

I am definitely not anti-Dayton. She seems like a lovely, well-rounded young lady. I wish her well and hope she re-auditions, if that is her goal. 

I'll be interested to hear what Judy has to say. IMHO Judy focuses on the dancing, and not all the other BS. If she's doubtful of Dayton, I'll accept it regardless of her edit.

I agree with you that being pretty is not a character trait.  Also, "pretty, gorgeous, cute, beautiful, ugly" etcetera is purely subjective.  One persons pretty is another persons ugly or average.  I have never had any issue with anyone's "looks" over the seasons of MTT. However, I do understand from a business perspective that the DCC organization is in the business of selling a visual product via the calendar and performances.  

I agree too that Judy just focuses on the dancing/performing and Kelly and Charlotte focus on the looks (who looks good in the uniform, calendar) as well as those who will be good public ambassadors.  

Edited by LynneH
grammar
  • Love 1

I just don’t believe that Kelli or Judy would jeopardize a 20+ year relationship with Shelly to scheme for ratings of an episode or two of the show. Their ratings were fine last year... there is obvious interest this year... it doesn’t make sense personally or from a business perspective. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Lolfordays said:

Honestly, I think this line is super blurry. Shelley is a character on this show — so is Dayton. This plays out on a show. This forum is about that show. ??

Fair enough. I’m not trying to tell anyone here what they can/ cannot or should/should not say or post. Again, not trying to start drama... 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, pizzaandcatsrlife said:

Why is Dayton being turned into a martyr?  I agree Simon, she was probably struggling!  I guess I don’t understand why everyone is so upset with her cut.  DCC is not life or death.  Dayton is a healthy, beautiful woman and she’ll be just fine. 

The list is long and too numerous to mention of eventual amazing DCCs that were once cut in TC, I really hope Dayton will return next year to pursue her dream. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Jess14 said:

Certainly though, I would hope that Shelly and Dayton would’ve been given a heads up if she was at serious risk of being cut. 

But--if they were treating Dayton like every other TCC--and not giving special treatment just because Shelley works there-- they did the correct thing.  K & J don't call the other girls' mothers and talk to them about their daughters'  DCC status or that they are going to be cut.   

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

But--if they were treating Dayton like every other TCC--and not giving special treatment just because Shelley works there-- they did the correct thing.  K & J don't call the other girls' mothers and talk to them about their daughters'  DCC status or that they are going to be cut.   

You nailed it on the head. When Dayton and Victoria made training camp, a lot of us automatically assumed they would be on the team because they are legacies. Dayton being cut shows that K&J were doing their job and not shelling out favoritism or nepotism. I suspect a lot of people would have been pissed and giving major side eye to K&J if both Dayton and Victoria made the team.

But I do agree with other posters, why bring her into camp at all if they really didn't think she had a chance? Maybe that's why she got a Barbie, as a consolation prize?

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, NMDD43 said:

But I do agree with other posters, why bring her into camp at all if they really didn't think she had a chance? Maybe that's why she got a Barbie, as a consolation prize?

Maybe I’m being naive, but I suspect they brought her in because they DID think she had a chance. Maybe she choked at camp. None of us will really know until it airs. 

• Love 14

Last night I was re-watching last year's MTT and in all honesty, Dayton appeared to be soft and lacking energy.  After having watched all seasons of MTT, K&J are always talking about having power, projection, and energy.  Dayton had none of that last year and unless she completely turned into a different person, it's likely she may have been missing a lot of that this year too.  I've seen Shelly's posts on here and she seems to be a lovely lady so I can understand why we would want to root for her daughter.  Dayton is definitely a beautiful girl but the image from last year seems to suggest that this isn't a fit for her personality and dance style.  Heck, even in the opening package Shelly stated that Dayton had a different dance style from her.   All I'm saying is that if Dayton wasn't Shelly's daughter, based on what was shown of her last year, I don't think she would have stood out enough for many people to root for her.  JMO

• Love 9
23 hours ago, adukesantana said:

Because photoshop and filters didn’t show up with her.

Dayton is reminiscent of Brianne from last season - beautiful girl with beautiful technique, but I suspect will end up lacking in DCC style/power.  We shall see when the show airs (which is only a month away now!)

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

In that same post that was quoted, I said that I think all TCCs should know if they are on the chopping block, not just Dayton. What's the point of having such a long process if the girls don't know where they stand? Also, I see "Dayton and Shelly" as one in the same in this case. I've always assumed that Shelly was clued into the training camp proceedings as it is, so I would think she would have at least a general idea of how the various TCCs, not limited to Dayton, are doing in training camp (my assumption may well be wrong, but I assume the same of Kitty and the other Shelly as well). Then, if Dayton had been told that she was struggling, I would assume that Shelly would know as well because she would tell her; hence her cut shouldn't be "surprising."I'm certainly not suggesting that they should've been calling Shelly and giving her daily updates on Dayton though. I agree that that would be inappropriate.

• Love 2