Type keyword(s) to search

Naked and Afraid XL - General Discussion

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, SassyCat said:

From the above written instructions, Gary and Jeff should have had their “wins” disqualified. It clearly says the water had to be TRANSPORTED TO THE GOURDS WITH THE REEDS AND THEN TRANSFERRED INTO THE GOURDS WHERE THE GOURDS WERE. NOT taking the gourds to the water and using a reed to ladle the water into them. 
A clear and not executed instruction. Matt did it right. Jeff and Gary should have been made to stop and go back and doit correctly. Matt is the obvious actual winner according to the shows own instructions for the win. 

Circle (or X) gets the square.😎

Big Time.  Production seems to love obnoxious Jeff.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Shut the fuck up, Jeff. Just. Shut the fuck up.

I'mma let the DVR record the rest of the eps, just in case I see here that Jeff gets taken out, but I doubt I'm going to have the stomach to watch Jeff continue to be an asshole. If I wanted to watch Asshole Survivor, I wouldn't be watching N&A. I want to see people surviving against the environment, not being sabotaging hypocrites.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
8 hours ago, CoyoteBlue said:

I'mma let the DVR record the rest of the eps, just in case I see here that Jeff gets taken out, but I doubt I'm going to have the stomach to watch Jeff continue to be an asshole. If I wanted to watch Asshole Survivor, I wouldn't be watching N&A. I want to see people surviving against the environment, not being sabotaging hypocrites.

You forgot "delusional" . . . If you look up "legend in his own mind" in the dictionary, there's a picture of Jeff.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I was glad to see Matt go just because I've gotten sick of his and Waz's attitudes.  I also think he laid the injury thing on a little extra thick at the end because he was embarrassed about getting beat by Jeff.  

I wish I hadn't deleted my recording because I specifically remember someone (can't remember if it was a contestant or the show's voiceover) say it was up to them if they went to get water first or if they went to find the gourd first.  But the clue posted above obviously contradicts that.  Interesting.

I hope Gary or Steven win.

• Like 1
On 7/10/2023 at 9:55 AM, Skooma said:

So glad Matt, the leader of the mean girls bully pack, is gone.  To isolate and demean one person constantly is the very definition of bullying which to me is third in bad things after murder and rape.  What a poor example he and his herd of lame followers have set for younger viewers of the show.

Jeff is like the Boston Rob of the show.  He, like Rob, is very self-aware too.  And like Rob as well, is having FUN.  And he actually understands the rules of this competition and seems like the only one actually playing the game the way it was intended to be played. 

And game it is on this version.  The rest of those people are totally clueless that this whole version is now more like a sports event -- aka a COMPETITION -- and not a silly campfire singalong.

Some of Jeff's moves can be harebrained and even backfire but at least he is trying to make moves and is fun to watch unlike that herd of dull, self-righteous bully boys of endless smugness.

I get Johnny Fairplay vibes from Jeff, not Boston Rob

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
17 hours ago, CoyoteBlue said:

I'm with you on the Asshole Survivor aspect of this.  I really hope they don't do this XL again.  I don't like it.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
3 hours ago, madmax said:

I'm with you on the Asshole Survivor aspect of this.  I really hope they don't do this XL again.  I don't like it.

Me too. It’s the cheating and overlooking of it by the producer rule makers when this is for a nice chunk of money to be won by one of them. I expected it to be done fairly. I don’t find that entertaining, just stressful and too many shows are using the stressing out of the viewers as their prime motive  these days. They all seem to want us to be outraged at their offerings… thinking that we want negative activity for the drama of it. Nope. Too many good shows have been reduced to petty dramas.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Pixilicious said:

If so then you should get big time Bully Paul vibes from Big Brother from Matt as he led the rest of the minions into isolating and demeaning his targeted victim just like Paul did.  Minus the Josh equivalent from banging on the pots of course cause that would scare away any game in the area.

13 hours ago, Skooma said:

If so then you should get big time Bully Paul vibes from Big Brother from Matt as he led the rest of the minions into isolating and demeaning his targeted victim just like Paul did.  Minus the Josh equivalent from banging on the pots of course cause that would scare away any game in the area.

Yeah I can see that sleazy kind of Fairplay vibe. I think Discovery is loving it.  Every season has to have an enemy. Someone you just can't stand, you love to hate.  Jeff is perfect. In past seasons there's been Bulent, and Gary multiple seasons.  Which is why he could identify with Jeff so much, he'd been there over and over.  He and Matt would butt heads constantly. He prob feels more like a guide to Jeff than anything else haha.  Gary has mellowed in his old age. Did anyone see Jeff and EJ in one of the last seasons of Dual Survivor? It was good but I think that's where the whooping and hollering was born. 

It's my perception that we as a group are not enjoying the competitive nature of this XL.  Maybe Discover will see it alienates long time devotees of Naked & Afraid XL.  

One XL a couple of years ago had groups that could expel members, but that seemed to be a one season experiment.

Personally, watching people work together to overcome obstacles is more interesting that than following some plot thread about sabotage.  The soliloquys are tedious and irritating in this version.  They do reveal that it is not about discovering the best survivalist, but about gaining the best ratings.

On 7/10/2023 at 6:55 AM, Skooma said:

Jeff...seems like the only one actually playing the game the way it was intended to be played.

Skooma's statement is telling about the goal of winning a game, rather than being the most accomplished survivalist.  I would offer that Gary with a couple of his food forages (ie the Weaver bird eggs), Steve in his encounter with Sarah, might have been violating the loosely created team spirit the 12 survivalists created.

"Naked and Afraid survivalists battle to take home $100,000 and be crowned the Last One Standing".  I overlooked that fact that it says nothing about identifying good survivalists, just about being that Last One. 

Discovery really put one over on me.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
(edited)
On 7/11/2023 at 11:30 PM, Skooma said:

I don't know anything about Paul...who he is or about his show...not even sure about Josh either...i remember Jeff annoying matt in another season because he'd yell every single time he'd catch something in the river...Matt is a good hunter and knew it would send animals further and further away, making it hard to hunt...Matt does come off as cocky and sometimes a bully, but he's had reasons to get to where he is...he's earned the respect of other "survivalists" over the years and that says a lot...I think he's a purist of the show, if there's such a thing (his wife was pretty kick ass on her season too)...I don't love that they turned this show into a knock off of Survivor...if the apocalypse were to come, id certainly want to be part of team Matt...and many others way before Jeff...i also think I'm in the minority for liking Waz...he's no nonsense and honest, even if you don't like the way he says/does it...I like Dan too...less experienced, but so promising

Edited by Pixilicious
Forgot a word in mid sentence lol
  • Like 6
On 7/13/2023 at 10:57 AM, Pixilicious said:

I don't know anything about Paul...who he is or about his show...not even sure about Josh either...i remember Jeff annoying matt in another season because he'd yell every single time he'd catch something in the river...Matt is a good hunter and knew it would send animals further and further away, making it hard to hunt...Matt does come off as cocky and sometimes a bully, but he's had reasons to get to where he is...he's earned the respect of other "survivalists" over the years and that says a lot...I think he's a purist of the show, if there's such a thing (his wife was pretty kick ass on her season too)...I don't love that they turned this show into a knock off of Survivor...if the apocalypse were to come, id certainly want to be part of team Matt...and many others way before Jeff...i also think I'm in the minority for liking Waz...he's no nonsense and honest, even if you don't like the way he says/does it...I like Dan too...less experienced, but so promising

Yes I like Dan too. I love his and Cheney's vibe together.  I hope they can work together again sometime.  Ok one thing cracks me up though, every week in the opening credits they show a shot of Dan, from the backside, jumping on a rock and you can really get a sense of his stature, and it just makes me think Hobbit! everytime hehe which I love hobbits.  Just a stray thought, no offense intended! 

• LOL 1

We're in the last USA time zone for the show.  If those of you in earlier time zones can divulge the winner (even if you want to use spoiler tags), it would be appreciated.  

If Jeff is going to win, I'm going to invest my time more wisely by clipping my toenails.

Thanks in advance.

• LOL 2

Seems the chickens of Jeff's bloated ego have come home to roost.

sorry, not sorry.

Steven was always my feve, but I'm pretty happy.

"I have never Twain or Clarence Darrow.  The source is obscure, but true.

• Like 1

But wait...there's more...did everyone go to sleep and miss the finale that followed the bloated primitive fire episode?
Or was it the endless shark commercials that drove you away from your teevee?

It was a nail biter....

The name of the winner is in the box.

Spoiler

Waz

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

It is interesting to see how only two of the last five are capable of starting a friction fire and boiling water. IN THREE DAYS!  There have been plenty of regular episodes over the years were it took 21 day challengers more than three days to get friction fire going.

During the three day festival of fire no one seemed to have an issue with hunger.

Is it possible Jeff took his precious cache items back to the US to sell on ebay?

After some of the comments and observations that had been made here, I think the show is more contrived than I ever imagined.

None of the 3 who 'cut corners' on the previous elimination challenges, Gary, Steve, and the jack ass, made it to the final challege.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

"Strategy" is what Waz used to get all three of his fires going quicker than Dan's fires.  

If Jeff had been in Dan's position, his "strategy" would have been to pee on Waz's fires.

Those heartfelt hugs at the end were the personification of respect between the final two contestants.  Well done, both!

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I wish I had a dollar for every person watching who was thinking or said out loud "at least Jeff didn't win".

Did I know that Dan was gay?  Maybe, but I forgot.  Cool.  I want to know how Dan got out and why he didn't get in the helicopter with Waz. 

That primitive fire making challenge was brutal.  It was hard to watch toward the end with Gary and Steven breaking down.  Jeff, eh, just go home. 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, suzeecat said:

I wish I had a dollar for every person watching who was thinking or said out loud "at least Jeff didn't win".

Did I know that Dan was gay?  Maybe, but I forgot.  Cool.  I want to know how Dan got out and why he didn't get in the helicopter with Waz. 

That primitive fire making challenge was brutal.  It was hard to watch toward the end with Gary and Steven breaking down.  Jeff, eh, just go home. 

Technically, Dan was the last one standing because they left him alone on that mountain. Did he get the Toyota truck like the other eliminated contestants or is he still waiting for extraction?

This last episode was really good. It was interesting to see how difficult it is to make fire without a starter, and how tough it was when you are malnourished. (Jeff -- the lean vegetarian still had difficulty with this!) It was sad seeing Gary (who I'm not really fond of) break down and Steven give up and just take in the beauty of Africa for a bit.

Jeff, the contestant (almost) everyone loves to hate, makes for good TV. He knows how to talk to the camera. He understood that this was a competition and was actively participating in it. He truly needs a mustache to twirl to be the perfect villain of this show. While I don't condone bullying, I understand the pile on. Jeff is so obnoxious, so in your face when he's on top, that he would be difficult to be around. He is a legend in his own mind (but quite a great self-promoter!) He also wants things both ways. He separates himself, then claims no one wants him around. He refuses to share, thinks about stealing other people's things, but then wonders why no one shares with him. He would drive almost anyone insane. I also wouldn't trust him one tiny bit. 

This iteration was interesting, but I do agree the competition part of it is counter-intuitive for most of the group. They like to survive together. Jeff did have one thing right, for all the hand-wringing about Matt leaving they all had a part in it. It was a competition. Someone had to lose. 

Waz deserved the win. I was happy with Dan and him being at the end of this. 

I am looking forward to some of the old guard being retired and seeing some new up and coming survivalists on these shows. I am growing tired of seeing some of the same faces over and over. Do they do anything besides being naked and afraid? 

• Like 6
25 minutes ago, jackjill said:

I am looking forward to some of the old guard being retired and seeing some new up and coming survivalists on these shows. I am growing tired of seeing some of the same faces over and over. Do they do anything besides being naked and afraid? 

Some of them have made a career out of being on television, either N&A or other shows.  Others hope to increase their professional guide businesses, or they do personal appearances for cash.

Several years ago, someone I remember from Alone had been hired by a guy in Tucson to spend a couple of days in the mountains with himself and his son, teaching them how to do outdoorsy stuff.  They got part of the way to their campsite by riding the tourist tram at Sabino Canyon.  We happened to be on that tram and spoke with the father.  There was the man and his son, then the Alone contestant got on.  For those who know the Alone cast, you'll be interested to hear that the guide did not bring his wife, "Barb," along for the trip.  I so badly wanted to turn around in my seat and ask, "Where's Barb?"

So this guy was hiring himself out as a private outdoorsman teacher.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
42 minutes ago, jackjill said:

Do they do anything besides being naked and afraid?

Well, this IS what Jeff lives for!  :)

I actually gave Jeff credit for planning ahead and stashing some fire-making materials "just in case".  However, we find out later that Dan did the same, he just didn't make a big deal about it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 2

I actually thought Dan and Cheeney had a crush on each other because they were so touchy feely as partners and I think even kissed on the lips when she left.  Clearly I know nothing lol.

Pretty eye opening that they're all supposed to be skilled survivalists and only two of them could make primitive fire.  Kudos to Waz and Dan for that.

• Like 5
On 7/17/2023 at 12:39 PM, suzeecat said:

Well, this IS what Jeff lives for!  :)

I actually gave Jeff credit for planning ahead and stashing some fire-making materials "just in case".  However, we find out later that Dan did the same, he just didn't make a big deal about it. 

My family emotes "this is what I live for" all the time now for the most ridiculous things, thanks to Jeff. 

• LOL 6
On 7/17/2023 at 10:54 AM, suzeecat said:

I want to know how Dan got out and why he didn't get in the helicopter with Waz. 

I figured they made him hike back down.  😄

On 7/17/2023 at 12:55 PM, jackjill said:

I'm looking forward to some new faces, as well, but some of the older ones just had so much charisma - Steven, Laura, Matt - it's going to be hard to do without them.

3 hours ago, jackjill said:

My family emotes "this is what I live for" all the time now for the most ridiculous things, thanks to Jeff. 

Yeah, my husband and I have been known to do that as well.  On Alone, a contestant said that a few episodes ago and Mr. Max went "Uh-oh..."

While I was so very, very glad that Jeff didn't make it, I was sad to see Steven go, and most likely, his last, if his words could be believed.  I actually would have rather seen Dan win, because although I like Waz, I thought he was just a little meaner than Dan.  And Dan reminds me of my son. 

Not really happy with this iteration of XL, but I'll watch the next season.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I am happy Jeff didn’t win. Felt bad for Steven and Gary. I’m ok with Waz. I’d type more, but I broke my typing arm last week.. so I’m going to be relatively quiet for a while. 😳

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3
8 hours ago, allirish47 said:

For me, the only downside to Jeff's 'flameout' (sorry, couldn't resist) is the possibility that he might show up the next season in some sort of redemption-like arc.

And if he does, I'm one fan of the show who will skip watching the season.  I'm "Jeffed-out."

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, allirish47 said:

For me, the only downside to Jeff's 'flameout' (sorry, couldn't resist) is the possibility that he might show up the next season in some sort of redemption-like arc.

Going forward, if Jeff is on any show again, I'll not watch.  His narcissism was so bad and too much for me to handle, quite frankly.

Gary's crying broke my heart.  

Will we get an after the show reunion to discuss things?  I'd like to know how everyone fared after.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
On 7/18/2023 at 6:39 AM, TaraS1 said:

I actually thought Dan and Cheeney had a crush on each other because they were so touchy feely as partners and I think even kissed on the lips when she left.  Clearly I know nothing lol.

Pretty eye opening that they're all supposed to be skilled survivalists and only two of them could make primitive fire.  Kudos to Waz and Dan for that.

They did have great chemistry. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Cheney is also gay and married.  I thought she mentioned her wife waaaay back in her very first challenge

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, Biosynth said:

Going forward, if Jeff is on any show again, I'll not watch.  His narcissism was so bad and too much for me to handle, quite frankly.

Gary's crying broke my heart.  

Will we get an after the show reunion to discuss things?  I'd like to know how everyone fared after.

Id love an update ep.  Hated when they stopped doing them

19 hours ago, SassyCat said:

I am happy Jeff didn’t win. Felt bad for Steven and Gary. I’m ok with Waz. I’d type more, but I broke my typing arm last week.. so I’m going to be relatively quiet for a while. 😳

Feel Better and heal quickly SassyCat!! 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, SassyCat said:

Time to learn how to use "talk to text"!!!

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1

Jeff definitely overplayed the villain part the entire season.  The show needed someone to go against the group, and Jeff was happy to oblige.

The group's reaction to Jeff, particularly from Matt and Waz, was more off-putting than Jeff's actual behavior.  I found them both to be sanctimonious twits in this go round.

Once Gary and Steven tapped, I had no interest in watching the rest.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, GenerationX said:

Jeff definitely overplayed the villain part the entire season.  The show needed someone to go against the group, and Jeff was happy to oblige.

The group's reaction to Jeff, particularly from Matt and Waz, was more off-putting than Jeff's actual behavior.  I found them both to be sanctimonious twits in this go round.

Once Gary and Steven tapped, I had no interest in watching the rest.

Yes, Jeff did overplay the villain shtick.  IMO it seemed he had many of the talking head segments in comparison to the others.  I might be wrong, though.  I just don’t like him and any time he showed up I cringed.  

About how everyone else reacted to him I think a lot of it went back to their shared history on the show together/multiple appearances that the others probably watched on their own so they knew the behavior they were dealing with.  I wonder if they put together a completely different group for next time that had people with 1 or 2 appearances each if there would be the same type of reaction to the designated “villain”.  

The producers should really take a bunch of people we don’t know that well for next time to keep us guessing who is the most cutthroat of the bunch.  Enough with these regulars.  

I did not watch the last 2 airings.  I had enough before then.  

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1

I hope the next time that contestants are held to the directions for challenges...it annoyed me that Jeff and Gary got away with botching the water/gourd challenge...not that Matt could've continued anyway with his injury...maybe production let it slide so they'd have more than 3 going into final episode...still seems unfair, tho

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
On 7/19/2023 at 4:22 PM, ForumLou said:

They did have great chemistry. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Cheney is also gay and married.  I thought she mentioned her wife waaaay back in her very first challenge

Well, I just misread those two all the way around, didn't I? lol

• LOL 1
On 7/11/2023 at 10:00 AM, Pixilicious said:

I just started this show, episode 4 right now.

I don't understand the bully cool crowd pile on Jeff, who is playing the game.   Waz had 2 of items, yet selfishly wouldn't consider trading for the hide he seemed to think Jeff should just give him.  🤔 

The selfish bully crowd,  refuse to play the game to look good in their crowd.

Surprised that the viewers agree with them.  Yeah Jeff. Hahaha.

• Like 1

I liked the new Castaways show, first episode. An hr chuck full of commercials is not enough time though. Loved seeing Bulent the burly man again. Lucky them in his group of 3, being the finder of a magnifying glass for a fire maker out there. That does seem a bit uneven in garbage pickings available to each group though, fire starter wise. I don’t know how much luck the group that found the broken Bic lighter will have with that as their big lucky find, for fire starting. 

Heather is just as abrasive as she was the first time I saw her on the screen. Her voice and attitude alone could probably start a friction fire. I can’t wait to see what happens when she and Bulent meet up somewhere down the line. I am looking forward to that day, heeheehee. I am betting she will try to be sweet as pie to him upon the initial meet up.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Why didn't Andrew keep the lighter intact?  Would have had to be easier to make a spark that way.  If it sparked that one time in his hand, it would have sparked as an intact lighter.

I guess group 3 hasn't found the planted wreckage yet?

Heather is just horrid.  I want her and Bulent to meet up real soon.

Show wasn't too bad, tho.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
6 minutes ago, madmax said:

Why didn't Andrew keep the lighter intact?  Would have had to be easier to make a spark that way.  If it sparked that one time in his hand, it would have sparked as an intact lighter.

We had the same question about the lighter.  It was made to create a spark, but you took that away when you broke it apart.

Planted wreckage . . . we join you in that suspicion.

Heather . . . amen.  Her and Bulent together is going to be "fun."

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
32 minutes ago, madmax said:

Yeah! That was really stupid to think taking apart that broken lighters flint sparking mechanism would be a better way to get a fire started. What are they thinking!?

I have a cool windproof lighter called a “sailors lighter” they used in the olden days on windy ship decks. It is just a flint and wheel thingy, just like on a bic lighter, that has a feed of cotton cord right next to it that catches the spark. The cord is 100% cotton window sash cord. It immediately starts burning the cord with a nice glow without flame. I am sure if I held that burning without flame cord, next to dry leaves or paper, while blowing on it a little bit, it would burst the dry material into flames. The thing is though, the window sash cotton cord has to have a burnt char on the end of it first, before it works to catch a spark and start burning the cord. You have to pre burn the cords end before the lighter can work efficiently. I do suppose the flint possibly could get a char on some easily burned material if you worked at it for a while.

Anyway… taking the lighter apart is a very stupid move.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1