Type keyword(s) to search

Naked and Afraid XL - General Discussion

• Start Topic

34 minutes ago, Captain Asshat said:

I'd say the "miracle food" is a staple of any NAA. No wonder Trish was talking about the possibility of a chicken just wandering through the camp -- it was wishful thinking based on previous seasons. 

More likely it was predictable knowledge, based on her prior stint on NAA.

Pretty sure part of their NDA is that they can't tell anyone that food is "delivered" on Day 20.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2

Trish was nothing but a lazy bully.  If Trish & Jen were alone for 40 days without Amber they never would have made it.  Jen only stuck with Trish because they were doing 40 days and she didn’t want to do it alone.  All I saw was anything Amber asked for they just nastily replied no.  Amber fed them, cleaned the fish, cooked it and got the firewood.  I give her credit for not leaving them before their 30th day.  Hope to never see Trish in another series.  Amber in my opinion is a team player who works hard and will do anything to help her team mates

On 6/20/2022 at 7:55 AM, AZChristian said:

The best thing about next week's show will be the absence of Trish.

===

So if we have six people together who are all this  competent, this could be the first 60-day challenge where people gain weight, build a 6-bedroom house, and create a holding pen that lures caiman in, but they can't get out.  One of them will create a backgammon board from raw materials, and there will be a tournament.

Gonna be great!

A guy in Alone basically did this! He was amazing. I wish I remembered his name.

• Love 1

I watched last weeks episode again where the 3 guys shot that immobile caiman in the head. Pretending it was alive the whole time lol. Dan shot it in the sweet spot in the brain according to Matt. After the arrows were shot into its head, it suddenly went swooping backwards, and to me, it looked like it was pulled and yanked backwards possibly by a rope or something to make it appear like it was moving away on its own. 

Not once, but twice Waz said “It’s eyes are open”, .. I think in an attempt to make us believe it was alive and kicking.  When they pulled the unmoving beast onto the shore, it wasn’t moving one bit when they threw their bodies onto it, to wrestle the unmoving beast into submission. The thing didn’t move at all, except for the suspect quick backwards sliding movement, that could have been by being pulled backwards by a rope tied to its back end., which I think is the case.

Then Matt was showing and explaining how Dan got it right in the head down into the brain which was a quick kill. How did it “slide” backwards so fast after the brain kill shot unless it was dragged by a rope that was off camera? 

So, now I am led to believe these legends are not really accomplishing and gaining legend status by their hunting prowess, except for Matt maybe. They are handed it on a platter for the sake of the shows drama effects. 
Tho I love Dan, I can’t believe he reached the master hunter status they handed him by killing a planted, already been killed, caiman. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 1
21 minutes ago, SassyCat said:

I watched last weeks episode again where the 3 guys shot that immobile caiman in the head. Pretending it was alive the whole time lol. Dan shot it in the sweet spot in the brain according to Matt. After the arrows were shot into its head, it suddenly went swooping backwards, and to me, it looked like it was pulled and yanked backwards possibly by a rope or something to make it appear like it was moving away on its own. 

Watching the episode last week then reading the online comments later I paid more attention when watching last night’s rerun this and thought does look staged.  Don’t caiman mostly hang out in the water anyway?  Or not as shallow as what we saw?  It seemed strange they’d just happen on to one when Amber, Steven and EJ had to do all that work to set up a line just to get nothing.  

Now they’re all together and can’t find anything since there’s too many humans there.  I’d bet that the bird that Matt has his eye on toward the end of last nights episode is going to be his next big catch early in next week’s episode after it stops raining.  Fortunate for EJ that he didn’t have to go all the way back to get Steven and Amber, he looked really spent.  Enjoyed the episode for all the team work we saw even though they were coming up dry a lot.  None of that drama garbage.  

• Love 1

We, too, re-watched the caiman scene last night.  I was disappointed in just how staged it looked.  I'm beginning to think these guys are only legends in their own minds.

Dan looks like he's done.  

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Steven doesn’t look that great either.  Then he took that long hike with Matt for more food.  
Amber looks like she’s in slightly better shape but she’s been eating more than Steven the whole time.  
I’m wondering how much of a toll this takes on their health.  This is Steven’s 2nd 60 day challenge and it can’t be that great on his health for him overall.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

EJ, Steven, and Amber all look like they are having a rough time. Especially EJ and Steven. Its worrying. Stevens spine is starting to show in the back shots, along with other bones showing. Amber is becoming skin and bones. All her hip cushioning is gone, and she has a strained look on her face. EJ is over exerting himself, probably raising his heart rate to dangerous levels while in a weakened state, with all that full body sweating he had going on when he had to sit during his hike to the other camp. That was a bit scary to watch him go through. 

I am so glad EJ stayed behind to rest up more, while the trio uber trekked to and from Amber and Stevens site. The others, Matt, Waz and Dan have all lost weight, but look fine and still capable of wrestling and subduing large dead caiman 🐊.

I sure hope those chickens waltz into the camp soon, so Steven, Amber, and EJ get some substantial food in their bellies! I also hope it’s EJ that nails them with his blow gun so he can provide the “food for their bellies” lol, that he so very much wants to do for the group.

Waz and his good ideas and know how, sure has made their camp the best resort I’ve ever see these groups set up for themselves. His natural nature swing, and now the two level little treehouse apartment are wonderful! Plus they have that great dock, which I am sure was made to be able to hold 6 people when they turn it into a raft on day 60. 

That table Matt thought up and made with Dan, also a nice helpful and homey touch. Its a 5 Star accommodation, compared to all the past campsites! I’d stay there for one night, or a weekend at the most, with plenty of mosquito netting of course. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, SassyCat said:

I sure hope those chickens waltz into the camp soon, so Steven, Amber, and EJ get some substantial food in their bellies!

You're confused (LOL).  It was TRISH who ordered GrubHub to deliver the chicken to their shelter on Day 20.  But then she would have complained that it didn't come de-feathered and fried.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 4
9 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

I predict that Matt and Steven will just happen to get a really big kill to take back to the camp.  Maybe another sleepy caiman...

They better not kill a capybara. Those rodents are so cute! Just let them capture a feral Honeybaked Ham. 

• Applause 2
  • LOL 6

The XL participants sure talk to the cameraman alot.  That would never fly on a regular 21 day challenge where participants largely ignore the camera crew.

With all the speculation how contrived this XL is and the Legend stuff it dampens my interest.  A couple of Legends joined the party around day 20, and by then a couple of Legends had already quit.  

Wonder what EJ and Matt are getting paid for this?  That EJ is really not contributing too much in his last couple of challenges, but somehow Disco wants children to consider him a Legend.  I suppose I expect too much.

• Love 3
On 6/27/2022 at 10:49 AM, SassyCat said:

I watched last weeks episode again where the 3 guys shot that immobile caiman in the head. Pretending it was alive the whole time lol

Tho I love Dan, I can’t believe he reached the master hunter status they handed him by killing a planted, already been killed, caiman. 

On 6/27/2022 at 11:25 AM, Cobb Salad said:

Watching the episode last week then reading the online comments later I paid more attention when watching last night’s rerun this and thought does look staged. 

On 6/27/2022 at 12:00 PM, AZChristian said:

I was disappointed in just how staged it looked. 

Most definitely staged.  Just the fact that it sat there while they all "crept" around it is a big red flag.  And Dan, you are not a master hunter.  As I said before, I could have made that "kill" and I've never touched a bow.  I don't think it was dead already, but seriously drugged.

EJ hasn't contributed much to this challenge, other than being directed finding the other camp.  I think, sad to say, that EJ needs to bow out of future challenges.

Steven is looking skeletal.  I really hope they find him some food.  Dan, too, but I think Steven looks worse.  Matt and Waz still look like they have some weight, as does EJ.  Amber looks a bit thinner, but not as bad as Steven.

Sucks that the master fisherwoman can't get any fish.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, tljgator said:

It just occurred to me that we've only gotten one update on them so far, so...wither the poop-tomatoes? 🍅

I was talking about that while we were watching! I want to know if the garden grew.... though I wouldn't be surprised if other animals got to them before they could fruit/ripen. 

I'm surprised they didn't get anything this episode after all of the big wins the guys seemed to be having, but I suppose with trish/jen gone and no jeff they need some drama somewhere. 

I'm sure there will be magic food soon :) 

• Like 3
46 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

They’ll find those poop-mato plants groaning under the weight of beefsteak tomatoes! 🍅 

That would be amazing.. a good payoff for including his gardening in the beginning…. Matt and Steven just stumble across a pristine tomato garden, untouched by the wildlife.. and all exactly ripe to get them to day 60.

• LOL 4
(edited)
On 6/29/2022 at 1:25 PM, tljgator said:

It just occurred to me that we've only gotten one update on them so far, so...wither the poop-tomatoes? 🍅

This got me wondering if Dan didn't intend to stay for 60 days rather than 40.  I know of no tomato that matures in 40 days, and maybe not 60 days.

The best thing about EJ's hat is the chin strap.

Edited by Liberty
  • Love 1

EJ's dart blower is more like a toy than a real, effective weapon. It doesn't seem to have enough power to penetrate any animal flesh unless being used like 2 feet away?

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 7/1/2022 at 6:17 PM, Liberty said:

This got me wondering if Dan didn't intend to stay for 60 days rather than 40.  I know of no tomato that matures in 40 days, and maybe not 60 days.

The best thing about EJ's hat is the chin strap.

I assume that anyone doing the first 40 days knew that staying for another 20 was a possibility. Even for people who can manage be away from home and family and completely* out of touch with the outside world for at least six weeks, I don't think most of them can just tack another three weeks onto it without advance planning. I also imagine that it had to be in the original contract, just because "the producers came to me and asked me to sign this extension to my contract while my judgement was impaired by being naked, starving, sleep-deprived, and eaten alive by mosquitoes" wouldn't be a good look if anyone wanted to make an issue out of it.

* - or at least what little contact we have seen being messages passed through the production, like Manu's brother or the one other case I think I remember of a death or major medical emergency in someone's immediate family during the challenge

• Applause 1

I am glad this is the last episode.  I am tired of every one of these people, although I have admired their skills and fortitude.  Losing one's teeth is just an example of how they have punished their bodies.  Let's not see any of these "legends" again.  I suppose some of them are bound to be on Frozen edition..sighs. Maybe leave at least Matt, Amber, and EJ home?

• Love 1
(edited)

I think Amber demonstrated nicely how she can play well with others, if it's not Trish and her pet rock Jen.

Loved Dan's necklace and other regalia.  Nasty raft trip.  Nice job getting it floating.

The scenes on the extraction boat were great.  They could really pig out.  lol

Sun drops like a rock at the equator, very little twilight.

Edited by PaperTree

EJ’s raft, after the initial snafu, was pretty neat. 
Indigenous hunters who use blowguns have years of experience using them. I didn’t think EJ was ever going to bag anything with the blowgun. 
Matt is a regular Robin Hood with the bow and arrows. Felt sorry for the poor bird suffering with the broken wing.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

EJ’s raft, after the initial snafu, was pretty neat. 
Indigenous hunters who use blowguns have years of experience using them. I didn’t think EJ was ever going to bag anything with the blowgun. 
Matt is a regular Robin Hood with the bow and arrows. Felt sorry for the poor bird suffering with the broken wing.

I agree regarding EJ using the blow dart.  I thought it was a fool's errand.  
About the scene where Dan took EJ to the tree where he and Laura carved their initials years ago - EJ doesn’t seem like someone who would get as emotional as he did when he saw it so I was surprised at his reaction.  

During last night’s episode when they went back to the fishing hole one last time and Matt announced he was going off “to take a leak” and said he was taking his bow and arrow with him just in case I knew he’d get something because why else would they show him going off to answer nature’s call. 

One thing they did not get was a capybara even though they kept showing footage of it in the area.  

When they showed Steven, his 4th lost tooth then him showing off his lower teeth - gross.  Stuff like this is why I’d make a poor survivalist on one of these shows.  I’d be constantly worrying about that piece of food I have stuck between my teeth until I’d be able to get my hands on some dental floss.  Glad to see him in the final scenes looking like he’s eating well as far as has gotten some much needed dental work.  He did not look good on day 60. 

• Love 2

Amber really toned down with these guys.  Maybe it was Matt saying that it took a quiet setting to bag an animal and a loud human footprint is a negative. Maybe she just got some negative vibes from the guys--none of them seem to be a fans of Amber.  In any case, she definitely toned down her actions and put a lot of effort into helping out.  

Haven't finished the episode yet...saving it for an evening treat!

• Love 1
18 hours ago, PaperTree said:

I think Amber demonstrated nicely how she can play well with others, if it's not Trish and her pet rock Jen.

5 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

Amber really toned down with these guys.  Maybe it was Matt saying that it took a quiet setting to bag an animal and a loud human footprint is a negative. Maybe she just got some negative vibes from the guys--none of them seem to be a fans of Amber.  In any case, she definitely toned down her actions and put a lot of effort into helping out.  

2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I thought all the guys got on well with Amber, especially Steven.

Exactly, Amber got along with the guys.  I've said since the beginning that she is totally different with guys than with girls.  She couldn't go in there with the "I know better than you" attitude when she was with Steven, who did way more days than she ever could, or Matt or EJ.  

So who had the job of holding that tree rat in the hole after Matt missed?  You're telling me that animal wouldn't have freaked out when that first arrow hit the tree?

The editing on this episode was all over the place.  When Amber got that last fish, they showed her with three different hairdos.

Glad EJ realized this should be his last trip.  Maybe should be Steven's, too.  He looked HORRIBLE at the end.

• Applause 3
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, madmax said:

Glad EJ realized this should be his last trip.  Maybe should be Steven's, too.  He looked HORRIBLE at the end.

Someone on Reddit who follows Steven on Instagram said he said he had only 5 days notice before going to the Amazon and didn’t have a chance to gain extra weight.   Whoever does the casting for the show should also be considering the weight of the participants beforehand since they should be able to have a fair guess by now how much weight any of these people are probably going to lose by the end of the challenge.  Steven is one of my favorites on this show but I hope we don’t see him for a while because of the back to back challenges and the weight loss.  It can’t be good for his health.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Steven is one of my favorites too.  Years ago when I heard the "I'm the great Steven Lee Hall" it really turned me against him for awhile.  Last night when he repeated that I got a kick out of it.  He is special...but then so are the others as well.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, madmax said:

Exactly, Amber got along with the guys. 

Well, they didn’t have an attitude like Trash and her minion.

What if the poop-matoes become an invasive species that takes over the Amazon!? 😬

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

What if the poop-matoes become an invasive species that takes over the Amazon!?

Yeah, joking aside, I was actually really worried about this -- at first, I thought he was pulling up the plants to get rid of them (isn't he a biologist of some sort, or am I misremembering that?). I'm going to suppose the area where they are sees plenty of people with all their horrible side-effects, so it matters a little less, but still, invasive species can wreck ecosystems.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, tljgator said:

Yeah, joking aside, I was actually really worried about this -- at first, I thought he was pulling up the plants to get rid of them (isn't he a biologist of some sort, or am I misremembering that?). I'm going to suppose the area where they are sees plenty of people with all their horrible side-effects, so it matters a little less, but still, invasive species can wreck ecosystems.

I hope the production crew removed the plants.

• Love 2
On 7/4/2022 at 12:38 AM, djlynch said:

I assume that anyone doing the first 40 days knew that staying for another 20 was a possibility. Even for people who can manage be away from home and family and completely* out of touch with the outside world for at least six weeks, I don't think most of them can just tack another three weeks onto it without advance planning. I also imagine that it had to be in the original contract, just because "the producers came to me and asked me to sign this extension to my contract while my judgement was impaired by being naked, starving, sleep-deprived, and eaten alive by mosquitoes" wouldn't be a good look if anyone wanted to make an issue out of it.

* - or at least what little contact we have seen being messages passed through the production, like Manu's brother or the one other case I think I remember of a death or major medical emergency in someone's immediate family during the challenge

I guess we can assume that Trish and Jenn were offered the "opportunity" to extend their stay and declined?

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 4
On 7/12/2022 at 2:41 AM, Xmarkphotos said:

I would love to see Jeff and Trish paired together for 10 days and Gary and Makani Nalu paired together for 10 days and then merge together if anyone else is left standing. 

Put them in Africa and I’ll watch.  I know Gary will find food even if it’s rancid meat.  Jeff can over cook a snake again 🤣

• LOL 3

Just heard that Melanie Rauscher has passed away. She was the wonderful woman who paired up with Jeremy, (who is going to be in the new upcoming Frozen episodes) in the Louisiana swamps. I was wishing she was going to be on Frozen too, when I heard Jeremy was going to be on. They were my absolute favorite pairing of naked strangers meeting for the first time on any of these many seasons of the NA shows. She was so sweet, and supportive, helpful and kind, that no other woman contestant ever matched her beautiful personality in my opinion. She was my all time favorite woman on this show. 

I remember how happy Melanie and Jeremy were to meet up again on an XL season, I forget which one. The one where Lacey guilted Melanie into going home because she would be more of a burden because she was having some kind of physical slow down at the time. Not big enough to absolutely tap in my opinion. I cant remember what the ailment was in that season either, but I was so sad to see Melanie leave, and have to leave her NA “husband” Jeremy too.

God Bless You Melanie. You were a beautiful human being. 😢

• Sad 2
  • Love 1

I read the same sad news about Melanie earlier today as well @SassyCat

Melanie and Jeremy’s XL was the 2nd Africa one, I believe it was the 4th season.  They were so happy so see each other 😊

What I liked about Melanie was her positive nature, especially when she showed up on her first challenge as a replacement when Jeremy had been left alone early in his challenge.  They worked so well together that it’s sad we won’t get to see that again.  

• Sad 2
  • Love 2

First episode of FROZEN.

Oh look! Trish is “unable” to get her butt out of the shelter on day Two, while Rod with his injured back does all the work out in the cold. Shes also willing to be the one who always stays inside the shelter to tend the fire which she says needs to be watched over 24/7. 
I’ll give Jeremy a pass on staying in the shelter all day because of his bad foot circulation. Oh look! Jeremy goes out to try and hunt food for the group later in the day.

Looks like Trish is willing to parasite off her two teammates while she lays underneath the fur pelts all the live long day. 
Good start Trish. 🙄

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

It’s Trish. Ugh.  At least there’s a whole bunch of other people to watch so that’ll dilute being exposed to her at least for now.  So she decides she’s going to actually do some work this time even though it includes just sitting there.   I guess she’s getting along with Rod since he made some favorable (?) remark about her.  Then they had to show a clip of her not getting along with Amber.  Thanks show.  

That shot of Jake’s feet was nasty.  Jeremy doesn’t look like he’s going to make it. 

To me, it looks like Both Rod, and Jeremy will not be lasting long in Trish’s group. Rod with his back pain, and Jeremy with inability to adjust to the extreme cold. Jeremy is from the south with his blood being thinner from the zone he lives in, and Rod.. his back is not going to start feeling better with him doing most of the work cutting and hauling wood, and working on the shelter. Trish thinks her very presence is enough of a bonus they should feel grateful for. Fire tender should also include bringing home the wood. The coals will last long enough for her to be out of the shelter, gathering burning material. What will she do when shes used up all of their energy and calories and they inevitably have to tap, leaving her all on her own?

Rod is way too nice taking on such large physical tasks while he is in so much pain. Trish loves those “way too nice” people and will use them all up, till the death of them. Just like a disgusting tick. We’ve seen it with how she used up Jen and Jens desire to help the team survive. Trish will not contribute one calorie expended for the teams benefit as long as she sees them sacrificing their comfort and energy, trying their darndest to keep the group in food and warmth. She wants to gain Legend status completely off the blood and sweat of others while she lays there under buffalo hides in the shelter watching them kill themselves struggling to do the needed tasks all of them should be doing. She should be out there gathering her ass off, collecting a wood supply before it starts snowing more. At least there is still snowless ground to be walking on at this point before the snow really starts coming down. 

Joe with the two girls doesn’t look like he’s going to make it either. He will probably tap. Jake and his ripped up toe skin is not starting out on a high note, though we know he will push himself as long and as far as he can possibly can before it becomes impossible for him to. Joe hails from Pennsylvania so his blood should not be as thin as Jeremys. They get a lot of cold weather and snow in that state, so he had an idea of what he was going to be heading into.

Jermaine and his new “pants” he so very much needs because he is such a big guy whos pelt is the length of a t-shirt on him must feel like a fool in that diaper-like fit Sara so kindly made for him. She should have cut the pelt into a more hourglass shape to give a better fit and allow leg movement without having to walk like he’s constantly on a horse. You can tell she is not someone who understands seamstress fittings, lol. 
I am rooting for them all... except for Trish, who obviously plans to sit this one out too.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1