Type keyword(s) to search

Good Witch - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I don't think I've ever been the first to comment before.  Oh the stress . . .

Are the pieces of jewelry in Cassie's box going to be addressed further in future episodes or was that it?

- The earrings - I got that one.  When Martha wore them she listened to her husband.

- The Sock and Buskin (comedy and tragedy masks) pin - Is that why Grace was able to convince Cassie and Sam that she and Nick were friends again?  Will it do something else in the future?

- The heart necklace - Is it going to help Stephanie find true love after she broke up with Ben or did it just help her face the truth?  After she put it on she stopped cleaning the outdoor "romantic" area and was able talk about the breakup, but I'm not sure if that was the only magic the necklace would bring.

Why didn't Sam tell Cassie the rest of the story about finding the ring?  He didn't even mention Abigail's part in the discover of it.  

Has anyone noticed that every season Cassie's store gets brighter and less mystical?  I miss the old look.  Other than no one ever paying for a purchase, the store now looks just like every other gift shop in a touristy area.

• Love 4

the store now looks just like every other gift shop in a touristy area

Or like a Hallmark shop...

I missed a lot of this episode and am blanking out on the previous season - what caused the enmity between their kids?

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

I missed a lot of this episode and am blanking out on the previous season - what caused the enmity between their kids?

Nick was dating a girl and kept telling Grace that he was going to break up with her.  Grace was getting impatient with Nick because he was taking his time.  They were somewhere (I think Stephanie's cafe) and Grace pushed Nick to tell the girl that he wanted to break up with her.  The girl was standing right there and heard the conversation.  The girl was understandably hurt and Grace refused to apologize to Nick because she (Grace) thought that it was Nick's fault for not telling the girl himself.

I can't figure out how to edit and add a quote, so this is from "Or like a Hallmark shop..." - I agree.  I expect to see singing snowmen in the Christmas special.

Edited by ShelleySue
typo
  • Love 4

I had to laugh how even the show addressed Cassie always giving things away & how does she stay in business,  yet she did it again!

No one could figure out that the ring went in the middle between the 2 wraps? Duh!

• Love 7
On 4/30/2018 at 10:56 AM, treeofdreams said:

Or like a Hallmark shop...

If she charges half as much for Hallmark cards as those shops do, she's making coin.  I just haven't seen any card display in her Little Shop of Tepid.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I just had a nice surprise - I ordered the DVDs for seasons 2 and 3, and when I received them discovered that the season 2 DVD includes the movie Good Witch Halloween and the season 3 DVD includes the movie Secrets of Grey House.

• Love 1

I thought tonight’s episode was a little blah. I thought there would be more to the story of the tune they discovered — it just seemed like everyone liked it, and Cassie and Sam want it played at their wedding.  Period.  Perhaps there will be more about it in a future episode. 

If there was a “lesson” learned, I guess it was that people need to communicate and tell people their wants and needs, not expect them to guess.  But this was carried out in the blandest of ways - with very mild dilemmas involving Stephanie meeting new men and Cassie’s wedding plans.  Oh, and Cassie’s big revelation that she really didn’t want her baseboards painted after all.  (?!) 

There were really no special moments, and the episode didn’t have a cohesive feel to it at all.  It makes me wonder if they have different writers this year.  The actors are still great, and they’re giving it their all, but it just seems like a little of the magic is missing from the scripts so far this season.

• Love 2
(edited)

Wow, it's like the showrunners read all my comments from last season (I bet they didn't, but a girl can dream, right?) and fixed a lot of the issues.  They still are incorporating a bit of magic.  But, as a nod to the "are-they-magic-or-aren't-they" question regarding the Merriwick women, they had Nick address it straight out with Grace.  I don't think she gave him a definitive answer though.  They had an acknowledgement that Tom used to be the mayor.  That really bugged me in prior seasons that it wasn't really mentioned (I think they finally did last year).  They've kept up the intuition talent of the Merriwick women as well, which is nice.

I loved Martha's searching through items outside of Cassie's shop for inspiration. 

I can't believe Sam kept mum and didn't give Abigail credit for her sacrifice of the ring, but maybe that's a future plot point so they are keeping Cassie in the dark for now.  I was glad to see George and Tara and found it interesting that Brandon was missing.  Still no mention of Laurie. The writing just seems a bit better this season though. I still wish they'd address George's missing wife, Gwen. Oh, and I can't believe those three men would still talk to Abigail.  They were pretty disgusted with her when last they met. What happened in real life that the actor who played Ben is no longer on the show?

Edited by Cowgirl

I've always loved the Good Witch; however this season seems sort of flat with no umph.  The show on May 6 seemed empty.  Hopefully something enthusiastic will be forthcoming.  

• Love 4

I think it's just general Hollywood pressure to be as thin as possible, even though that's not actually a good look for some people.

This show is still pretty bland, but it's so far better than last season. Abigail's line "I'm not going to call you Dr. Romance" got an actual laugh out of me.

I had to laugh how even the show addressed Cassie always giving things away & how does she stay in business,  yet she did it again!

I'm going to pretend that if she doesn't explicitly say no charge, she sends bills for all the stuff she gives people. Like I pretend that she has an army of housekeepers, groundskeepers, bookkeepers, and cooks helping her run the inn who are always outside the frame of the camera.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

Well. I don’t care who you are and what your reasons are. If you fill out a loan application in someone else’s name that is fraud. And Dad should have been prosecuted.

that was friggin ridiculous! he could just have put her name on the deed!

• Love 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

Well. I don’t care who you are and what your reasons are. If you fill out a loan application in someone else’s name that is fraud. And Dad should have been prosecuted.

I'm a prosecutor and agree with both you and @msrachelj.  If he wanted Abigail to have ownership of the house, you put her name on the DEED not the loan!  Also, she would have to accept the deed to make the transaction complete.  If we want to be really picky, she could have had Martha charged for stealing the pink Himalayan salt last week, but I don't think anyone wants that. 

I actually saw Cassie take a credit card for payment this week!  She didn't run it or anything, LOL, but she had it in her hand.  I guess that's a small improvement. 

I just wish they wouldn't write this show as if we were all drooling imbeciles.  Don't get me wrong -- I still enjoy it! But it could be so much better.  

On 5/12/2018 at 12:52 PM, beadgirl said:

I'm going to pretend that if she doesn't explicitly say no charge, she sends bills for all the stuff she gives people. Like I pretend that she has an army of housekeepers, groundskeepers, bookkeepers, and cooks helping her run the inn who are always outside the frame of the camera.

Amen sister friend!   ETA:  I also like to assume her garden still has the magical properties it used to in the second movie. 

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Love 5

What has Catherine Bell done to her face? I hate to be critical, but her face is puffy and her upper lip looks super botoxed. There is something weird going on above her upper lip under her nose as well .

• Love 2
13 hours ago, bythelake said:

What has Catherine Bell done to her face? I hate to be critical, but her face is puffy and her upper lip looks super botoxed. There is something weird going on above her upper lip under her nose as well .

She's been having work done for years.  Sometimes it's OK and well sometimes unfortunate.

• Love 6

Caught a blooper.  Abigail set a tray of beverages on the table where the guests were talking over their 'deal'.  It wasn't there anymore when they showed her leaving the room. Just disappeared "magically"!

• Love 2

Good catch luvmylabs!  Shellysue, can I live there with you?  It's big enough I don't think we'd even run into each other if we didn't want to.  I don't even care if it is lacking reliable wifi or a working stove!

I have never thought James Denton was the right person for the role of doctor and Cassie's love interest. To me, he seems kind of like a curmudgeon. He looks old and dried up. Cassie needs someone more youthful, robust and kind of fun. Lol. Too late now, I guess. 

• Love 5
On 5/21/2018 at 10:10 AM, ShelleySue said:

I'm going to just come right out and say this.  I want that beach house.  That is all.

beach mansion! what kind of doctor is he again? what must his primary home and the beach houses be worth? my god! 

• Love 1

grace, and the rest of them, just take every bit of fortune that happens to them in stride. is it witchcraft or entitlement? if a museum sent me back a trunk filled with treasures like that i'd be literally jumping for joy. that jacket! they go for $1,000 or more.    grace's idea about writing a story with her ancestor going on a "jungle safari"! yes grace, that's what people (kind, caring people) want to read about. the slaughter for fun of tigers and elephants ,etc. , by rich privileged  apathetic people. 

• Love 1

Who in the world is going to dig up bushes and trees in the garden to recreate a long ago photo  for Gray House guests?? I guess George is! Lol. And the headache guy was going to give up his successful accounting career and start a photography business. Not a good idea.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Who in the world is going to dig up bushes and trees in the garden to recreate a long ago photo  for Gray House guests?? I guess George is! Lol. And the headache guy was going to give up his successful accounting career and start a photography business. Not a good idea.  

this show is ridiculous. no one in that town is realistic.  i guess if you are extremely well off this is all in a days "work" . i, on the other hand, have a hard time relating . and that should not make a difference. i loved downton abbey for goodness sake and i am not british nor a "lady".  i guess at my age i'm just fed up. 

• Love 2

This episode was just full of absurdities.  Why would the Art Institute have Elizabeth Merrick's clothes?  In a small town like Middleton, where did the guest and her daughter find dresses exactly like the ones in the photograph?  Digging up the garden and changing it to match the photo?  And Cassie did not seem to know that they still had the same rose bushes?  It's her garden!  Martha giving one star reviews to local business to "help" their business?  Grace writing the exact same thing that was in the diary - not just the basic story, but the exact same thing?  And all Grace had to do in her interview was say what a good person her friend was and the interviewer decides there and then to accept her (the friend) into the school, even without interviewing her?  I'm sure there were other things that don't come to mind at the moment.

Each episode I start out thinking, well, I don't expect too much from this show, it's just a way to spend some pleasant time in a pleasant town with some pleasant people, but by the time the episode is over I wind up feeling irritated.  And what irritates me the most is the way all the women talk - very artificial and sprightly, and they always tilt their heads to the side when they say something.  It is sort of Stepfordish in a way.  And very distracting.

And yet I continue to watch...

• Love 8

Yes, I really miss the magic.  Cassie had real magic at the beginning of the show, and now we hardly see any, and what we do see can be called intuition.  But they have watered Cassie down in all ways - she used to always wear black, now she wears ordinary clothes; her shop was originally an occult shop, now it is a Hallmark shop; she used to speak and come across as a somewhat mysterious person, ie, a witch, now she has become as Stepfordized as the other women on the show.  Disappointing.

I was wondering if the show is now being written for young adults, rather than adults.  It just seems to have that flavor.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

Yes, I really miss the magic.  Cassie had real magic at the beginning of the show, and now we hardly see any, and what we do see can be called intuition.  But they have watered Cassie down in all ways - she used to always wear black, now she wears ordinary clothes; her shop was originally an occult shop, now it is a Hallmark shop; she used to speak and come across as a somewhat mysterious person, ie, a witch, now she has become as Stepfordized as the other women on the show.  Disappointing.

I remember she used to have a room in Gray House that was dark and very mystical feeling.  That room disappeared along with George's wife.

• Love 1

I remember she used to have a room in Gray House that was dark and very mystical feeling.  That room disappeared along with George's wife.

I remember the room, but wasn't it upstairs in the house she and her first husband moved into?  It was her special place in the house, and held its own magical treasures.

(edited)

I agree with most of you -- I love the scenery and I miss the magic!  They really have watered Cassie down. One thing I did like about this episode was that Cassie did say that the soil in the garden did seem to possess some magical quality.  

Could we please fire the writers and start with a fresh pack that has actually watched the first three movies? And who have IQs above 80? And common sense. (Who transplants not only one, but TWO trees?!)  Actually, I think the writing has gotten BETTER this year, but it is still not very good. 

So, let's see, the people MIA as of this writing are George's wife Gail, Laurie, Ben, Derek (this season so far, anyway) and....am I missing anyone? Then there's the long list of people who have moved away...

And yet I still watch and mildly enjoy and don't want this show cancelled -- just fixed!

Oh, one more thing -- did any of you used to watch Psych?  I would LOVE to see a cop show featuring Derek and Buzz (Sage Brocklebank is the actor).  They would be a funny pair!

Edited by Cowgirl

George had a wife? I assumed he was a widower. 

I don't understand the weather. It is perpetually fall or winter. Everyone wears jackets and coats, but flowers are blooming in the park and then Grace is dancing outside in a sleeveless dress. 

• Love 4

It was a second marriage.  But either the actress found a gig elsewhere or the budget doesn't run that far.  She went from visiting her own kids to vanishing from the collective memory.  Of course, George is often MIA as well.

One of my favorite weather moments is from season one, a scene in the open garage - looking in, there is snow falling, looking out it is clear. 

The movies were sooo much better, perhaps because there just weren't as many minutes to grind through.  And they had Chris Potter.

• Love 3

Another one here confused by the weather - they said it was a winter formal yet it's going to be held outside, the trees all have leaves, flowers are blooming, some kid is playing baseball??

How did they manage to import tents & a dance floor for the park in just a day or two?

Wasn't it a bit creepy how Cassie & the doc were looking through the anonymous questionnaires,  found 2 from Middleton & then thought nothing of trying to find these people? Granted it worked out for the woman as the doc discovered a possible medical condition but still........

I agree with the other posters in that it used to be a more interesting show when it was a bit more magical but the scenery, Grey House, the shops in town are all very pretty & it's a pleasant way to end a weekend

• Love 4

Is anyone else bothered by Sam discussing patients' information with Cassie?  I know that sometimes HIPAA can be a joke (like when I can hear every single word of a conversation between my doctor and the patient in the next exam room), but I still like to think that Sam has some integrity.  Of course the "old Cassie" would have just known how Sam's patients were doing without Sam having to tell her.

On May 30, 2018 at 1:34 PM, treeofdreams said:

I remember the room, but wasn't it upstairs in the house she and her first husband moved into?  It was her special place in the house, and held its own magical treasures.

Yes, maybe it was in the that house.  It's all a blur to me now.  

On June 4, 2018 at 2:15 PM, Marathonrunner said:

Another one here confused by the weather - they said it was a winter formal yet it's going to be held outside, the trees all have leaves, flowers are blooming, some kid is playing baseball??

I'm assuming that Middleton is somewhere in the midwest because Chicago is mentioned frequently.  I also remember back in the day there was a map on a wall of a movie and a fan was able to identify landmarks that showed it was near Chicago.  I grew up in Chicago and there's no way a winter formal, dancing outside without a jacket, leaves changing colors and baseball happen concurrently.

• Love 4

Last night's episode was boring and kind of ridiculous. Sam had to rush off to where? Columbia? I really wasn't even interested enough to pay attention. Very dramatic. Not. And Cassie, who knows everything, didn't know that storms were coming wherever Sam was heading? Cassie and Sam don't even seem like a couple to me. There is no spark. I know this is Hallmark, but there is zero chemistry.

• Love 6
(edited)

I keep watching because I like the overall soft-sell fluffy tone of the show, but, not to beat a dead horse, every episode it feels like the Cassie/Sam chemistry gets worse and worse... and it was already awful from the start. 

Edited by Sticker Shock
  • Love 9

The Colombia storyline was ridiculous, it seemed like it was written by amateurs, and it seemed so out of place.  Have we ever even been out of Middleton before?  I wonder if it was thrown in there to keep James Denton happy, since his role in the series is pretty much nothing.

And I agree, there is no chemistry with Cassie.

• Love 4

So did Nick figure out what he wants to do and where he wants to go to school after changing a light bulb and bringing cookies to a homeless shelter -- once?  Also, I have three children and my youngest is starting college in the spring.  I don't think that any of them, even the one who graduated from high school seven years ago, mailed college applications.  Everything was done online except that back then a few colleges required a portfolio consisting of slides be mailed (she had applied to two studio art programs).

Have we ever seen Cassie wear white before?  I used to love her dark but not depressing looking clothes.  Now she looks like she shops at Talbots.  Nothing against Talbots, I shop there -- but Cassie's clothes used to be more spiritual.

6 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

I wonder where they're going to live when they get married.  Will Sam and his son move into Grey House?

Cassie will have George build a breezeway to connect Gray House to Sam's house.  Now that done moving fully grown bushes for one photo shoot he has plenty of time.

• Love 9
(edited)

If this is a big show for Hallmark I don’t understand why they don’t have multiple showings of the episode during the week. I usually am busy on Sun nights & forget to watch. And I’m too embarrassed to put it on the DVR. ?

I agree there is no chemistry with the doc. I was kind of hoping he’d be swept away in the storm. THAT would add some excitement to the show!

Edited by Mrsjumbo
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, Mrsjumbo said:

And I’m too embarrassed to put it on the DVR. ?

Totally! My Tivo picks it every 2nd or 3rd episode as a "suggestion" so I only see those episodes. But I just can't bring myself to admit I watch it and set up a season pass...

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Mrsjumbo said:

If this is a big show for Hallmark I don’t understand why they don’t have multiple showings of the episode during the week. I usually am busy on Sun nights & forget to watch. And I’m too embarrassed to put it on the DVR. ?

I agree there is no chemistry with the doc. I was kind of hoping he’d be swept away in the storm. THAT would add some excitement to the show!

I had to laugh at the idea of Sam being swept away! Yes, that would add some much needed excitement and maybe a new love interest for Cassie down the road. 

• Love 5

`

21 hours ago, Pickles said:

I had to laugh at the idea of Sam being swept away! Yes, that would add some much needed excitement and maybe a new love interest for Cassie down the road. 

I wonder if Hallmark would be down with her losing her husband AND a fiance!  Poor star-crossed Cassie!

• Love 4