Type keyword(s) to search

Good Witch - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 11/06/2018 at 1:19 PM, treeofdreams said:

The Colombia storyline was ridiculous, it seemed like it was written by amateurs, and it seemed so out of place.  Have we ever even been out of Middleton before?  I wonder if it was thrown in there to keep James Denton happy, since his role in the series is pretty much nothing.

And I agree, there is no chemistry with Cassie.

I agree. This season has been a snooze fest. I felt like there were more interesting storylines and drama in previous seasons. I also felt that Sam and Cassie had more spark and chemistry earlier on (never that much) but lately it’s too boring. I just wish they talked with a little more passion!

Edited by NatalieParker
  • Love 5
On 6/11/2018 at 9:04 AM, Pickles said:

Last night's episode was boring and kind of ridiculous. Sam had to rush off to where? Columbia? I really wasn't even interested enough to pay attention. Very dramatic. Not. And Cassie, who knows everything, didn't know that storms were coming wherever Sam was heading? Cassie and Sam don't even seem like a couple to me. There is no spark. I know this is Hallmark, but there is zero chemistry.

i was hoping they would kill him off.  agreed. no. spark! 

• Love 1

This series seems to be missing some a lot of the charm of the movies. I agree that Cassie & Sam sadly have NO chemistry. Abby is slightly more interesting this season...I dunno...I watch it out of habit I guess. Definitely not "must see TV" for me. Kinda bland & the magic aspect has been pretty much watered down. Too bad. Something definitely missing these later seasons.....they are working too hard for drama and fall short. Too predictable.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 6/13/2018 at 6:39 PM, NatalieParker said:

I just wish they talked with a little more passion!

This!  I hadn't really figured out what has been bothering me (other than the horrible writing!)  but you've hit the nail on the head -- they both exhibit such a flat affect!!  There is no twinkle in anybody's eye.  

I was glad to hear Grace call George "Grandpa."  He's not technically her grandpa, but it's nice they have that relationship. (For those of you who don't know, George is Cassie's first husband's father-in-law, grandpa to Laurie and Brandon.) 

I think some of the continuity has been a bit better this season.  For instance last night they had Sam mention Cassie's foster mother.  As I was doing dishes the other day I'd begun to wonder if they were going to invite her to the wedding and, to my delight, they are. I actually don't hate this season as much as the past two years. Oh, and I was happy to hear her mention Laurie! I was afraid they were going to write her out completely too!

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Love 3

I'm still enjoying this show. I like the relationships between the characters and I guess I just don't need a lot to happen to enjoy watching. I like the characters, like that there's not too much drama. I'm interested to see what happens with the sister and her new love interest. I would like some more 'magic' in the show but I'll keep watching as it is as well. It's the first thing I watch when it's available on my DVR. Makes me feel good so I hope they don't cancel it! I don't want to watch shows with endless drama, action, and violence all the time. It's nice when people get along and if something bad happens, it's handled maturely and respectfully. I'm just a boring person! LOL and this show's for me.

I don't like Grace's boyfriend and I thought it was messed up that he made her miss the dance after she worked so hard on it. He could be more understanding and not so into himself. I like the mayor, she's a love-to-be-annoyed-with type character and I find her amusing.

• Love 3

Ditto to @martha21's whole post! I still like this show too, and love shows without too much drama or violence.  Too bad you and I can't get together and have a viewing party!  I love the mayor (Martha!) as well.  I crack up at her over-accessorizing, but somehow, on her, it works!  She always has on a scarf, a necklace and a brooch.  

I like shows about small town life and the characters that populate the small towns.  (I'm from a small town and came back to live there.) 

I was glad that Sam's receptionist was in this episode (can't remember her name today).  Now, if we could just have a Derrick sighting, I'd be happy. I also really like what they've done this season with Abigail's character, giving her a teeny bit more depth.  Hope it works out with her soon-to-be-abandoning-her mogul. 

• Love 5

I was away from home and missed the last 4 episodes. Catching up with on demand and finding that I still miss Brandon and Laurie's characters. I could do without Abigail. I'm finding the plots for the series shows on Hallmark to be rather slow. Is it due to poor writing or overall control by some Hallmark executive?

• Love 1
On 6/11/2018 at 4:16 PM, Mrsjumbo said:

And I’m too embarrassed to put it on the DVR. ?

Nevermind getting rid of the dirty books when I croak - just make sure you delete my DVR series record settings!  heh.

• Love 3

I'm not sure if the preview for next week counts as a spoiler.

Spoiler

Wow!  So much going on next week.  Do you think that Jared pulled an All About Eve and backstabbed Martha?  I hope that the Abigail move is resolved next week and isn't a cliffhanger.

Unless they are standing next to each other I kept mixing up Tara and the receptionist.  Maybe I need new glasses.

• Love 2

I just watched the episode where Grace's boyfriend gets into a far off college and Abigail's love interest decides not to move to Middleton. I thought it was great, and noticed that it highlights a more subtle 'magic', where the Grey House women manipulate events and the price that is paid for that manipulation. Abigail was so determined to have her love interest (don't recall his name) stay in town that she manipulated events to speed up the process. Who knows if she had let nature take its course, what would have happened. Now no one is going to buy the mill, which would have helped the town. I actually wondered for a moment if the love interest had contacted the other buyers to make up for changing his mind, and then Abigail sabotaged that plan.

At the same time, we see Cassie letting things play out with her fiance, not trying to make him create a shorter guest list, and going with the flow. And it works out for her in the end because they end up on the same page.

Then we have Grace, who is still learning about manipulating events, her ability to do so, and whether the cost is worth it. I find it interesting and entertaining.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

I'm not sure if the preview for next week counts as a spoiler.

Hide contents

Wow!  So much going on next week.  Do you think that Jared pulled an All About Eve and backstabbed Martha?  I hope that the Abigail move is resolved next week and isn't a cliffhanger.

Unless they are standing next to each other I kept mixing up Tara and the receptionist.  Maybe I need new glasses.

I had the opposite problem.  At the quilting party I couldn't figure out who the two blondes were and they turned out to be Tara and the receptionist.  I have no problem, however, recognizing the blonde who owns the restaurant (brain fart - forgot her name!!!)

• Love 1

Damn it!$%^&*@#!!!  I had NO idea GW came back. I've missed the entire season 4 and have to catch up fast.  And Now there's a wedding between Sam and Cassie??  How the Hell did THAT get cemented. I thought for sure they would grow bored with each other, they sure bore me as a couple. I've got to see if Grace has mellowed out in her nosiness. Has Martha toned down her shrill behavior and what of Abigail, I have to see if she finally got over herself. BINGE-TIME!!!!

• Love 1

I agree, treeofdreams, Cassie was a total bad-ass during the billiards game! I sometimes forget what a full life she had before moving to Middleton. So many life experiences, travels, and skills. She's amazing!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

I did enjoy the bachelor/bachelorette party switch-up, and Cassie owning the billiards game.

of course she did! didn't hate this ep as much as usual. i have to get my mind to go to disbelief mode for this show. everyone is wealthy and perfect and entitled.  getting a free basket of goodies and a full day at the spa with the works, they were as excited as if someone bought them a coffee. i think i'm too poor to not get knots in my neck when i watch this. yes, it's supposed to be an escape. but i guess i'm too set in reality.

I'm starting season four from the beginning since I just became aware that it has returned. Already I'm getting a toothache as this season's 1st episode is so saccharine. it's a bit jarring to return to this show after months of street battles, horror movies, and unexpected deaths, and that's just current news in America A.K.A. reality. My first thought was "who killed Abigail" and occupied her husk? She's actually trying to help people now? What is this mood emanating from her body? Smells suspiciously like good cheer. What's up with that? Second thought, Cassie gave Martha earings that will make her STFU and actually listen to people, quick, somebody sew those puppies permanently on her ears STAT.  C'Mon Sam do something besides stalk Cassie all day, save Middleton, save the world. Rescue us from Martha's  canary, ummmm, shrill cry. How many more of these episodes do I have to watch before I succumb to this permanent banality?

• Love 3
On 6/25/2018 at 9:32 PM, Jacks-Son said:

Damn it!$%^&*@#!!!  I had NO idea GW came back. I've missed the entire season 4 and have to catch up fast.  And Now there's a wedding between Sam and Cassie??  How the Hell did THAT get cemented. I thought for sure they would grow bored with each other, they sure bore me as a couple. I've got to see if Grace has mellowed out in her nosiness. Has Martha toned down her shrill behavior and what of Abigail, I have to see if she finally got over herself. BINGE-TIME!!!!

Jack-son, I was wondering where you had been!  Glad you're back and have fun catching up. 

• Love 1
On 6/28/2018 at 2:25 PM, Cowgirl said:

Jack-son, I was wondering where you had been!  Glad you're back and have fun catching up. 

Thanks, Cowgirl, it's good to be amongst fellow GW torturees.  I will try to have fun, the episodes look promising, but I don't know how I'll survive Abigail's change of heart, it's sort of jarring. I see the writers have decided to make the ladies of Gray House a complete set of witches as Abigail seems to have glommed some precognition and Grace seems to be coming into her own now as she matures. Are you enjoying the new season? As I don't normally watch the Hallmark Channel, I missed all the ads for the show's return, but I subscribe to enough TV newsletters that I thought I would get advance warning. The episodes are on On Demand, so I can catch up that way.

• Love 1
(edited)

As soon as Marine sister said she was engaged I told MrShelleySue that Cassie was going to give her her wedding.  Once the flower and shrimp substitutions happened MrShelleySue agreed with me.  When the chaplain said something about the rings fitting during the ceremony I had to rewind to make sure Cassie was still wearing her Merriwick ring.  I was afraid that she gave it way too.

Edited by ShelleySue
typo
  • Love 1

I didn't think switch, but comments about the wedding not happening spoiled me for this huge, weird episode. I doubt this is a common occurrence giving away your wedding, but has anybody ever heard of such a thing? I can't imagine planning for 3 weeks to put together a wedding of your dreams, only to give it away at the last moment. Sorry, but I call BS on such a scenario. There's nice, and then there's ridiculously nice. So the happily married couple managed to get a marriage license that quickly, or was that one of Abigail's new duties as mayor, she can simply rubber stamp a certificate of marriage through Jared?  The writers should be Blacklisted from ever writing another plausible marriage scenario ever again. I guess it's de rigueur for the Hallmark Channel. Also, the rescheduled wedding is just in time for the Halloween Special, at which time, the writers will come up with another lackluster excuse to reschedule the wedding for their Christmas Special. Since every 5 minutes, the channel would advertise their Christmas movie film schedule for July, why not start advertising The Good Witch Christmas Wedding now.

• Love 3

I hope that they stick with the Halloween wedding date and not move it to Christmas time.  It would be too creepy to be married on the same date (Christmas Eve) as her previous wedding to her dead husband.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

has anybody ever heard of such a thing?

On soap operas: yes. In real life: never.

1 hour ago, HHSScot said:

I hope that they stick with the Halloween wedding date

Ooh, me too, more chances for witchy magic.

• Love 2
On 5/16/2018 at 6:47 PM, Pepper the Cat said:

Well. I don’t care who you are and what your reasons are. If you fill out a loan application in someone else’s name that is fraud. And Dad should have been prosecuted.

I don't think her Dad wanted to put the loan under her name, he just wanted her name on their loan application to help possibly improve his chances to have the loan approved, but still, he would have had to put her social sec. # on the application and that should always trigger an alert, so I don't know what he had hoped to really accomplish. He just can't put Abigail's name on the Title, she would have to sign the Title application. Besides, putting a house in somebody else's name makes them liable for any damages or personal injuries and any property taxes due. Either the writers never thought the whole thing through or Dad WAS truly shady. The way he went for her credit card in her purse was very shady and saying it was just a surprise STILL sounded lame AND shady.  Just keep your damn hand out of your daughter's purse, Jerk. I'm still conflicted about Abigail. I don't know whether to feel sorry for her after her abandonment/foster home upbringing or still dislike her because she does some selfish shit a lot. Her lame attempt at insuring Phil got his mill with the old "It's stuffy in here, open a window on this windy day and let a breeze come in and blow your papers around" trick, and Martha, falls for that crap. This show will never get me to feel anything but disgust for Martha and her misplaced ego. But back to Abigail, I thought with the season's first episode, Abigail got a heart transplant, because she showed she actually had one. Then she did the ring thing for Cassie and I felt a twinge of happiness for her, but then she went all out with her efforts to keep Phil around only to have him cruelly break the news to her about moving to Portland and I felt bad for her again. Abigail swings too wildly back and forth between selfish, & cut-throat to thoughts & acts of kindness. Even Grace knows to accept Abigail's advice through the lens of her selfish heart. There's quite a contrast between Cassie and Abigail. Both would drive me nuts. Cassie is too goody-two shoes, and Abigail is grab your wallet and check your sensitivities at the door because she takes no prisoners. I find it amazing that Stephanie still talks to her after Abigail stole her pre-burned down property investment. Abigail's attempts to be Cassie-lite are pathetic. Her swapping guests' living arrangements because she thought she knew better was borderline Keystone Cop-ish. She shows flashes of Merriwick intuition only to fall flat on her face.

I find it hilarious that posters upthread are too embarrassed to reveal that they watch this show, let alone DVR it. Imagine how I feel, as a Dude, watching it and posting about it, but I don't really give a shit. Everyone has their secret pleasures, I just like the show because it reminds me of the old Ozzie and Harriet Days, and Leave it to Beaver. Crap that today, is so utterly laughable it begs belief. I just wish the Hallmark Channel would put on some different commercials once in a while besides the constant repetition of Romance and Holiday movies. Shit, I never thought I would wish for a GEICO commercial every now and then. Sell me a car; make want to get some frequent flyer miles, remind me that I'm old and don't know how to walk in and out of a tub that has a side higher than 4 inches.

• Love 4

I would like to see more continuity on the show.

The writers this season have implied that Cassie and Abigail knew each other when they were growing up.  I seem to recall Abigail's first episode in another season in which they did not know each other. 

Laurie's name was mentioned this last episode. The last I remember about her, she was going to be a writer and had joined the local newspaper.  Then her character was gone.  Occasionally Brandon and his wife are on the show but apparently the last couple of seasons have been minor recurring characters only.  Brandon and Laurie's Grandpa is more of a regular recurring character though he was probably on about half the episodes this season.  He seems to have been on more this year than the last two seasons.  Didn't he get married a few seasons ago?  Since then there has been nothing about a wife.

With college coming up for Nick and Grace, I wonder how long Nick will be around as the character is not in the starting credits.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, forumfish said:

Anyone else expecting Sam to keep his house so the family could live there and have some privacy? Abigail could stay at Grey House in case late-night B&B emergencies arise. Cassie spends time in her shop, so it's not like she's in the house 24/7 anyway.

Now that Abigail may be leaving town (no spoilers, just speculation based on the show), I guess Martha could move into Sam's house, resume her duties as Mayor, and wreak havoc on her new neighbors. (Yes, I spend too much time thinking abot these things.)

I can't imagine why Sam would want to live in Grey House, there's too much foot traffic. Why would they need privacy, they don't do anything that would require privacy, even their kisses are chaste. I think the longest I've seen them kiss was in the finale, they must have kissed for a whole 15 seconds.  As for where to live, however, Cassie and Grace are associated with that house; they're a part of it and it is a part of them. I can't see them living in Sam's house. Abigail can't can't run Grey House, even for a short period; she's too lazy. Martha in Sam's house? JUST NO! if that's what you spend your time thinking about, then I would suggest that you stop thinking about Martha period. I think Tom didn't just take a job in another state, he escaped to another state.

1 hour ago, kassygreene said:

When Cassie was married to Jake, at least part of that time had them living in Jake's house.

It's been awhile, but wasn't that before she moved into Grey House?

Nope, way back in the first movie she moved in to Grey House, which is how she met Jake, because the house had been unoccupied and now there was someone in it (he was the local Chief of Police).

• Love 1

I don't watch the show any more!  A combination of not being able to find the movies in advance for several years plus realizing that I could "watch" an episode in less than five minutes because of all the FF....  Like the few soap operas I still "follow", it's all in the recap.  Oddly, I quit watching Army Wives for the same reason.  And I like Catherine Bell.

That admitted, I could make the argument both ways: next door to get some separation, or in the house and maintain the separation internally, as I think they wound up doing in her marriage to Jake and with an infant/toddler (those were especially the movies I kept missing).  Grey House has always seemed to be large, and the house next door was for father & son and therefore didn't need to be huge, so moving Cassie & daughter in could be a stretch.  They could even build some sort of breezeway between the two (enclosed, of course, because they are in Canada - yes, I know, somewhere in the Old Northwest (Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, or Wisconsin), but really Canada.  Near London, I would bet.).  Although, didn't the recaps tell me they were seriously considering living in that fab-to-die-for lake house?   

Personally, I would vote for the better kitchen, every time, so Grey House for the win.

4 hours ago, kassygreene said:

hey could even build some sort of breezeway between the two (enclosed, of course, because they are in Canada - yes, I know, somewhere in the Old Northwest (Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, or Wisconsin), but really Canada.  Near London, I would bet.).

Where is middle tone supposed to be?

Although set in "Middleton, USA", it was filmed in Hamilton and Niagara on the Lake, Ontario. In the sequel, The Good Witch's Charm, the map on the wall in the police station shows Middleton north and west of Chicago, in the vicinity of DuPage County.

Map of Middleton | Good Witch | Hallmark  (Place you cursor over each house and touch it to get a quick tour by the cast.

FYI: The Good Witch series takes place in the fictitious town of Middleton. The actual filming location is Hamilton, Ontario, a port city on the western end of Lake Ontario midway between Toronto and Buffalo, New York.

What is Cassie's real name?:

In a town called "Middleton" an old, abandoned house is infamous for being haunted by its former owner "The Grey Lady" therefore being called "Grey House". Rumours start to spread of someone occupying the house. Police Chief Inspector Jake Russell enters the building, accompanied by Martha Tisdale, to investigate and is welcomed by a mysterious, beautiful woman who introduces herself as "Cassandra Nightingale". She tells them,she had just moved in, and planned to open a shop on Main Street.

Some interesting info on Cassie that may have been forgotten:  In the first movie, The Good Witch (2008), Cassie reveals that her given name is Sue Ellen Brock. She was the daughter of performers who traveled all over Europe. When her parents were killed in a car accident near Zurick, Switzerland, she was sent to live with foster parents in the United States. Eventually, she re-invented herself as Cassie Nightingale and moved away to start a new life of her own.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, treeofdreams said:

I would expect them to live at Grey House because so many of the storylines are about the guests and how Cassie helps them.  Without that, there really isn't much to the Sam/Cassie story.

Very good point.  Now, are the writers as pragmatic as you are?

• Love 1

I think it's mostly filmed in Niagara on the Lake now. The first two seasons and movies were shot in Dundas, Ontario (part of the City of Hamilton) but city council voted for a break from filming. Story here, which mentions TGW and the BB&C building specifically.
Here's a Google Street View of the BB&C in Dundas. Go east a bit and across the street to see Piccone's Food Mart and other local establishments that they never bothered to disguise. I haven't been bothered to look for the current location in NotL.

I really liked the first several movies and I'm behind a few seasons despite collecting all the DVD's. I feel like the series took the magic element out that I watched for. I may play catch up for the Movie in October. I hate giving up three quarters in damn it!

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, FairyDusted said:

I really liked the first several movies and I'm behind a few seasons despite collecting all the DVD's.

You have all the DVD's yet you're still behind? Perhaps you're just not in the mood for it or perhaps you're no longer feeling the vibe of the show.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

You have all the DVD's yet you're still behind? Perhaps you're just not in the mood for it or perhaps you're no longer feeling the vibe of the show.

Yup. I have collections of almost all my favorite shows if I can find them. All these cable channels and I'm struggling to find new shows.

I originally missed the first 2 seasons because they didn't offer Hallmark in my new area so I think I'm probably caught up minus last season. I had rewatched the movies though. 

*Pulls out missed seasons*  I'll go thru and see how much I have actually missed. I'm no quitter. LOL! 

I'm just settling down to watch the Good Witch marathon today. I hesitate to use the word "edgy" because this series is most definitely not that, but the first movie opens with Jake finding a homeless man in an alley and letting him spend the night in jail. Cassie has more of a spark of life, Grey House isn't so McMansiony, and of course there's actual magic. It's kind of impressive, actually, how Hallmark managed to water down what was already a gentle, inoffensive movie series.

Of course, some things don't change. #Middletonsowhite

Edited by beadgirl
  • Love 4

Finally got to see all the movies this weekend (had only seen the first two up 'til now).

The first three movies were coyly ambiguous about whether or not Cassie was really a witch. There were hints at it, but the show was sort of winking at the audience about it. But the fourth movie, The Good Witch's Family, took quite a different approach when it introduced Abigail. They showed her actually using voodoo dolls, and she gave Lori a potion that caused a boy she liked to fall for her. She also made a compass needle move by passing her hand over it. So they really all but confirmed she was an actual witch. Also, in this movie they completely redid the interior of Cassie's shop. It looked more like an old-time apothecary than the usual Hallmark trinket shop. I guess whoever wrote this one just had a completely different take.

That might have been the turning point because the next three movies really back-tracked on the magic and were more like the TV show where there is barely any hint of magic whatsoever. I could guess maybe some people complained that the fourth movie was too overtly supernatural, hence the watering down of the concept that ensued.

It also seemed like Lori and Brandon were rapidly aged. Brandon was off in college by the fifth movie but didn't even look old enough to be in high school in the first. Then he's married in the seventh movie - the actor wasn't even in college yet in real life. I know there was a bigger time jump between the sixth and seventh movies since Grace went from being a one-year-old to a five-year-old, but Brandon and Lori just didn't look old enough to be playing college aged kids. I wonder if this is why they recast the part of Brandon in the TV series and phased out Lori's character early on. (I don't think they really knew what to do with her in the TV show anyway - they were too focused on the teen love story between Grace and Nick.)

They never really explained the mayoral transition from Cassie to Martha. Martha's husband had to retire because of term limits, but I'm assuming Cassie served no more than one term. There wasn't enough of a time jump for her to have served two. 

I've read some conflicting posts about whether or not the TV show has ever mentioned what happened to Gwen. There was supposed to be some dialogue about George's wife having died but I missed it (although at the time I had not yet seen the last five movies when Gwen was introduced).

Overall I think the premise and the material are better suited to one-off movies that come out once a year than a regular, weekly show. 

• Love 4

The Fall Harvest preview show had a very brief preview of the GW Halloween movie.  James Denton seems especially "rough."  It looks like he aged ten years since the last season which was only a few months ago.  Did anyone else notice that?

• Love 1