Type keyword(s) to search

Good Witch - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Weird episode, again. Martha was actually tolerable this episode, but I think that was due to Elizabeth being even worse than Martha.

Sorry, but the whole Cassie/Sam proposal was just so lame and contrived.  Sam shouldn't have proposed. I get that Cassie was thrown by what Sam's sister had said, but I already stated my feelings on that. Not her news to tell.

Grace is usually so on point, so I don't know why the writers felt the need to make her speak OOC. Nick was right, Grace WAS badgering him and made the whole situation worse.  Wasn't Nick unsure if her wanted to break up with Courtney? Why then did Grace feel the need to try to force Nick to break up with Courtney?

• Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 0:10 AM, Jacks-Son said:

Wasn't he sort of lazy and wanted to live off of mom & dad's money? 

You're not mistaken. His immaturity and selfishness (presumably because of Martha's spoiling him)  was the whole point of his character. I guess he grew up offscreen since we saw him last, character development be damned!

By the way, did we see his father ( Martha's husband, whose name I forget) during either of the wedding episodes?

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, TVForever said:

You're not mistaken. His immaturity and selfishness (presumably because of Martha's spoiling him)  was the whole point of his character. I guess he grew up offscreen since we saw him last, character development be damned!

By the way, did we see his father ( Martha's husband, whose name I forget) during either of the wedding episodes?

Is it the same actor? I thought the son's appearance had been chosen to fit his personality. As far as his dad, Martha's husband was part of the crowd during the wedding and I believe he stood next to her at the reception.

(edited)

Martha's husband was there in the front row at the wedding (I ff through this show A LOT, so I don't know if he was in other scenes).  As to the groom, the Tisdales (sp?) had two sons, and I think this is the one who isn't the ne'er-do-well with all the failing fast-cash schemes.

One thing that snagged me was the left/right seating.  I'm used to the bride's family being on the right, and the groom's on the left (as you face the congregation).  Only exception I ever saw was my sister's wedding, and I seem to recall that was so we could be closer to the exit if it all became too much for my autistic brother....

Edited by kassygreene
clarity
1 hour ago, Jacks-Son said:

Is it the same actor? I thought the son's appearance had been chosen to fit his personality. As far as his dad, Martha's husband was part of the crowd during the wedding and I believe he stood next to her at the reception.

It is the same actor. His hair was longer and curlier before. Thanks for the heads up on the dad- I guess I wasn't paying enough attention.

3 minutes ago, Absolom said:

The season 3 finale had 2.343 M viewers and a .23 rating.

I guess those ratings are respectable. I was disappointed with these last two episodes. Surprisingly, the few people that came out looking better were Stephanie, Abigail, & Martha. Of course the first two were miffed that the over-bearing mother was so dismissive of them and Martha had to fight her urge to take over. I thought it was the groom's parents who were mainly responsible for the wedding costs and arrangements. Have times changed, or was the bride's mother so rich that it was all a drop in a bucket to her ? Cassie disappointed me, because she had never discussed marriage with Sam, and now because of his sister's rather uncalled for comment, she was hurt? She admitted that she had never thought about it and they had never discussed it, so why get shaken. The writers should have had them broach the subject once or twice, but I don't recall that they ever did. Sam, was never in danger of losing Cassie, so I don't know why he would propose so spontaneously. Why couldn't they have simply talked about it some more?

Grace was a REAL disappointment.  I like Grace; she's usually so calm and mellow.   Additionally, she's showing more and more obvious signs that she inherited her mother's gifts of empathy and intuition. So, why or why was she so bullheaded with this Nick and Courtney business.  Grace is starting to be a busybody and that's not a good look for her. If she's going to lead somebody somehow, at least she should do it with more subtlety like her mom. It was very ham-fisted. Plus Nick said he was just THINKING about it. I realize Courtney is Grace's friend but it's really Nick's business. I don't think Nick did anything wrong, except to mention to Grace his inner thoughts, but he didn't know Grace was going to get so bossy about it.  This finale, and the penultimate episode felt rushed to me, as if show runner had run out of time and they needed to close up everything. Perhaps they were in danger of getting cancelled (Catherine Bell is branching out into other roles) and once they realized that they weren't going to be cancelled, they added on this ridiculous cliffhanger of the kids at war.

• Love 2

There's been no announcement of a renewal, and this time last year the news had been out for a month. I'm thinking that doesn't bode well for the possibility of a season 4.

Sam's proposal was too soon, just like the "I love you" in episode 4. But I can forgive James Denton anything when he plays a scene as beautifully as he did the proposal. And I'm right about done with Grace's sanctimonious meddling. I don't know why the writers have to make an otherwise likeable girl so obnoxious.

• Love 3
On 7/5/2017 at 6:31 PM, allhailkingjack said:

There's been no announcement of a renewal, and this time last year the news had been out for a month. I'm thinking that doesn't bode well for the possibility of a season 4.

Sam's proposal was too soon, just like the "I love you" in episode 4. But I can forgive James Denton anything when he plays a scene as beautifully as he did the proposal. And I'm right about done with Grace's sanctimonious meddling. I don't know why the writers have to make an otherwise likeable girl so obnoxious.

I haven't a clue either why they suddenly decided to make Grace so clumsy. She has definitely become obnoxious within the last two episodes. Sometimes she seems like our old Grace and then she becomes this different person. Her argument with Nick at Stephanie's shop was weird not only because it was pushy, but it was also loud. If you're going to discuss affairs that are not your business, whisper or take it outside. Don't do it so loudly that the subject of the discussion can hear it.

I'm bad with faces, but has the character of Cassie's friend in Chicago appeared in the show before? I know they setup the whole Chicago thing by Cassie telling Sam's sister that that Hotel was her favorite, but was the proprietor of the book store someone familiar and better yet, was she of the "Witch" variety? Perhaps a Hedge-Witch?  Maybe they should introduce more "Good Witches" to add some spice to the story or is that not Hallmark's thing?

8 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

I'm bad with faces, but has the character of Cassie's friend in Chicago appeared in the show before? I know they setup the whole Chicago thing by Cassie telling Sam's sister that that Hotel was her favorite, but was the proprietor of the book store someone familiar and better yet, was she of the "Witch" variety? Perhaps a Hedge-Witch?  Maybe they should introduce more "Good Witches" to add some spice to the story or is that not Hallmark's thing?

I don't recall the friend showing up before. The show is notorious for dropping characters into a black hole with no explanation, so it doesn't surprise me that they pulled this one out of thin air. As for introducing more witches, that would be really interesting and also very much not Hallmark's thing. From what I've seen, they keep things small in terms of storytelling scope.

• Love 1

I wonder if fans of this show plan to watch her in the upcoming shows "12 Days" and "Love Finds its Way"? Will she be the same "Cassie-like" character or can she show some range? I believe someone in this forum once said that Catherine Bell was pretty much the same in "J.A.G.".

I'm in a FB group for GW fans and I can tell you they are hyped to see her in these other things. I was a fan of JAG back in the day and I actually think she was quite a bit better on that show. Then again, Mac was written to be a more complicated character with actual human flaws, not the Mary Sue they write Cassie to be. That's why characters like Sam appeal to me - he's allowed to be less than perfect, but apparently that can't be considered for Our Heroine.

• Love 1

I never watched JAG, but it's on my watch list because I used to be a big NCIS fan. This was before they introduced Valderrama (not a fan). I guess I wanted to see how NCIS got started. Do you recommend watching JAG?

• Love 1

Skip season 1 because it's terrible and Catherine Bell is barely in it. Things get better in season 2 and onward. Being a 90s relic, the show still has some wrongheaded ideas about workplace equality and sexism in general, but Mac and some other female characters are still somewhat ahead of their time. Overall, the writing quality is substantially better than Good Witch and the cast has talent to burn. It's a fun, enjoyable show, although tonally very different from NCIS.

13 minutes ago, allhailkingjack said:

Skip season 1 because it's terrible and Catherine Bell is barely in it. Things get better in season 2 and onward. Being a 90s relic, the show still has some wrongheaded ideas about workplace equality and sexism in general, but Mac and some other female characters are still somewhat ahead of their time. Overall, the writing quality is substantially better than Good Witch and the cast has talent to burn. It's a fun, enjoyable show, although tonally very different from NCIS.

Skip a season?!?! Never!!! If I had, I would not have followed up with a lot of shows that had trouble out-of-the-box (e.g. Buffy, Babylon 5). No, I'll watch season 1, my intention to watch was never because of Catherine Bell, it was just the connection to NCIS. Thanks for the recommendation. 

On 7/8/2017 at 11:16 AM, allhailkingjack said:

Your call, of course. I didn't mean to imply that Catherine Bell's absence is why the season is bad. It's just poorly done in general.

No, it's cool. I'm just a completist, that's all. Start to finish, good or bad. I cannot compare and contrast without having the evidence before me. I was just saying that I loved NCIS, even when it started with Sasha Alexander before Cote de Pablo.  I watched the first few episodes of "Angel" before I watched a single episode of "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer".  Once I realized Angel was a spin-off, I watched the Buffy movie and then started off with BtVS before I watched another episode of Angel. I've been meaning to watch JAG regardless of who was in it.

Martha's husband's name is Tom, which I could NOT for the life of me remember when I was trying to comment about him a few weeks ago. 

I also don't think we've seen the bookstore owner friend before in either the series or the movies. 

I don't care for Grace's new boyfriend. I'm not even sure why.  He just kind of creeps me out for some reason. 

I did enjoy the little book fakeout where his sister thought Sam was buying her a vintage medical book and instead he bought her Wuthering Heights. 

Sorry I sound terse today  in this post -- am doing too many things at once at work! (Darned work interfering with my goofing off!)

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

I don't care for Grace's new boyfriend. I'm not even sure why.  He just kind of creeps me out for some reason.

LOL, he creeps me out also and I have no idea why. He doesn't seem very friendly, nor does he seem good enough for Grace. (I sound real elitist, don't I) It might be due to how he was introduced. Crashing a house party and letting Nick take the blame. (That's sort of a dick move)  He's kind of smarmy and listless.  Actually, I still see Grace with Nick. They have (or had) an easy friendship and I still wonder if Grace was disappointed when Nick said he wanted to ask her something and she thought he was going to ask her out on a date but wanted to talk about Courtney instead. I'm surprised that Grace is even interested in him (Noah). Perhaps she just wants a boyfriend and is settling.

• Love 1

I always thought Nick and Grace would get together since the pilot when she told her friend that she would never date a guy like Nick. That's basically tv-talk for "we are absolutely getting together at some point." And I also believe that she was disappointed when Nick didn't ask her on a date but wanting to talk about Courtney instead.

• Love 1

I agree with @Jacks-son and @paulvdb -- I'm sure they are setting up Grace and Nick.  The problem with that is they are also setting them up to be step siblings, so that's a bit weird.  I remember when the original One Day at a Time did that, but at least the kids were adults.  If I recall correctly (it was a LOOOOOONG time ago!) Barbara married the son first, then her mom married Barbara's husband's father.  

This show seems to just drop storylines.  Not that it has to be the only defining character for Courtney, but Grace met her at the hospital because Courtney had some chronic illness, if I remember.  (Or is it something else that resolved?  I'm too disinterested to go look it up.)  They also featured the man a season or two ago who was looking for his daughter, who didn't know his identity.  And there are numerous other dropped storylines as well, but you get the picture. I'm glad they are at least developing Abigail's backstory.  They are rounding out her character a bit better.

• Love 1

I agree with @Jacks-son and @paulvdb -- I'm sure they are setting up Grace and Nick.  The problem with that is they are also setting them up to be step siblings, so that's a bit weird. 

I don't know if it's that weird.  It's not like they grew up in the same household from a young age where they essentially treated one another as siblings.  They are both older teenagers who would be out of the house within a year or two of their parent's potential marriage.     

I was just watching the first part of the season three finale and Grace said she can was 11 years old when her dad died, but in the first class episode it was mentioned that it had been 10 years since late Jake had died. That would make Grace 21years in the first episode, when she is supposedly 15 or so, I think. 

• Love 1

I finished watching season 3 three weeks ago, since I don't have cable. I am on youtube and have been exchanging thoughts with other fans over there, just found out about this site yesterday. I read everyones comments and I agree with most of what's been said. I have to disagree about the engagement though. To me it was the highlight of the season. I am a big fan of Sam and Cassie together, they have great onscreen chemistry but I have to say that he kissing scenes though have been bugging me a lot, some of the fans on youtube agree too and we have been sending messages to Hallmark to improve those romantic scenes between Sam and Cassie, no light or spark there! I have been a long time fan of James Denton and Catherine Bell separately, and I love them together now. The first two seasons were great, but this last season was a bit disappointing to me. I had high expectations regarding the relationship like most of the shippers. But they tone down their love, it's seems so superficial and rushed, I couldn't really enjoy their romantic time. Those frozen in place kisses, very distracting!  Some people wrote directly to Catherine Bell asking her to improve her kissing and her affection towards Sam, but I really think the writing is to blame!  I'm not a big fan of how Cassie was written over the seasons, find Sam more relatable, he is more passionate, clumsy, human! But Cassie comes out as cold and shallow, even boring sometimes, there's no evolution possible for her. I should also mention that I don't usually watch Hallmark, mushy romance isn't my scene, but Good Witch has that "je ne sais quoi" that keeps me coming back even when the writing is bad :/ Well I just needed to share my thoughts with others, see if I'm being to severe. Maybe I'm the one who should loosen up!

On 19/7/2017 at 4:10 AM, Jacks-Son said:

Has anyone heard if this show got picked up for another season? It seems a little too quiet.

Yes it's been renewed. They are filming the Halloween Special right now in Toronto. I really hope they changed the writers for season 4...

• Love 1
On 5/7/2017 at 11:12 PM, Jacks-Son said:

Sam, was never in danger of losing Cassie, so I don't know why he would propose so spontaneously. Why couldn't they have simply talked about it some more?

Grace was a REAL disappointment.  I like Grace; she's usually so calm and mellow.   

Well Sam didn't propose because he was scared to lose Cassie, that would have been a real lame reason! He proposed because he realized he loved her and wanted to spend the rest of this life with no one else but her! Sometimes real love is impetuous like that. I loved that it happened like that. I can relate to it because me and my husband got married 6 months after we started dating, we're still together 10 years later and still rolling ;) When you find the one, there's no point in waiting. Plus Cassie and Jake got married just as fast. Cassie's need for stability, for a family is understandable, giving her background. But I agree that she being shaken and her need to take some time away from him to clear her head was a bit unsettling, they had never talked about marriage, but when they talked about it, Sam seemed to be really convinced he would never marry again (I can understand that bothered her). And they are at that age, where you know what you want in life and you don't date anymore just for the sake of dating. They have two teenage kids, they are focussed on their family and on their future, it's easier to make commitments to life! It's not like they are two indecisive teenagers. I'm glad they ended up engaged. I just hope they come up with an interesting general plot next season, because this season was a bit of a "first draft".  There is still some good stuff but I liked season 1 and 2 better.

And yes Grace is so uninteresting this season. I have to say I wasn't a fan before, but now... let's just say it's a good thing she is not in every scene!

Does anyone know where I can find some good Good Witch fanfiction? I need to get back to liking this show lol

On 7/5/2017 at 3:12 PM, Jacks-Son said:

I thought it was the groom's parents who were mainly responsible for the wedding costs and arrangements. Have times changed, or was the bride's mother so rich that it was all a drop in a bucket to her ?

For months I have forgotten to reply to Jacks-son on this.  It's usually the bride's parents who pay for the wedding (well, traditionally, but as we all know in modern days anything goes).  The groom's parents pay for the rehearsal dinner.  

Sorry @Mallory, I don't know where to find fan fiction, but I thank you for letting us know the show got renewed and the Halloween special is currently filming.

According to Wikipedia "In July 2017, Hallmark renewed it for a fourth season,[4]slated to air Spring 2018 along with another 2-hour TV special, "Good Witch: Spellbound" set to air October 22, 2017 as part of the Fall Harvest lineup on Hallmark Channel."

So, I liked this better than some of the other Halloween specials.  The bit at the end with Cassie and Sam talking about their engagement almost seemed tacked on.  No Brandon and wife (Thanks for sparing us the baby discussion!!) (and no Laurie or Derrick (Boo!). I was disappointed that they didn't show Nick using the ghost gadget that Cassie gave him.  I wonder if there's a deleted scene somewhere featuring that?  The rivalry between Stephanie and Abigail was kind of fun, but also recycled for about the third time. I liked the decorations shop owner (Harvey? Harry?).  It was weird how everyone just sort of forgot about the crawl to see all the houses.  They also could possibly have been nailed for fraud at the end where they sold ballots and then didn't declare a winner. Did it seem weird to anyone that they seemed to be giving toys to individual kids in the end?  Those kids will take them home and the hospital ward will be left with none again. 

I am rewatching the original movies this week and it's fun to see how the landscape around Grey House has changed.  No more wrought iron fence, and now a big open driveway.  Well, I guess there was a fence in one shot, with a long drive, but that's not how they usually show the front of Grey House now. 

I laughed at Grace telling Sam to let her know when Nick was safe, then Sam didn't bother to let her know.  It was weird too that Nick didn't come to the party.  I wonder if the actor wasn't available for shooting then and they shoehorned in the bit about him wanting to stay home and pass out/eat candy?

And finally, I haven't checked in a week or so, but I thought it was a bad sign that Hallmark only aired the movie once last weekend.  Usually the Good Witch movie or Halloween special runs several times throughout the week before Halloween.  Is it slated to run again this weekend?

Edited by Cowgirl

I found this movie to be rather...odd.  I give the writers credit for trying for spooky.  But...A curse on the people of the town, but cast how many years ago and just coming true now, when the people he wanted to curse were long gone?  And it turns out to be that everyone be happy?  The guy with the spooky voice who magically appears and disappears and wears the same hat as the guy in the photo just turns out to be a journalist?

And excuse me for nitpicking but how do you arrange to release a flock of bats (where does one get a flock of bats?) who fly over the town (how do you make them fly over the town, and just at the right moment for everyone to see them?)...I am a bit baffled by this one.

The bit about people being separated was well done, and not too hit-us-over-the-head.

It was weird how everyone just sort of forgot about the crawl to see all the houses.

The crawl was to see the businesses on main street that were decorated.

Did it seem weird to anyone that they seemed to be giving toys to individual kids in the end?  Those kids will take them home and the hospital ward will be left with none again.

I thought they gave the toys to the hospital, but the children were given the opportunity to play with them; I don't think they would have taken them home.

The rivalry between Stephanie and Abigail was kind of fun, but also recycled for about the third time.

I think this is just their dynamic, which will be with us forever. 

Nick trying to scare Sam was fun, especially when it turned out that what finally did scare him was something that really mattered.

And finally, I haven't checked in a week or so, but I thought it was a bad sign that Hallmark only aired the movie once last weekend.  Usually the Good Witch movie or Halloween special runs several times throughout the week before Halloween.  Is it slated to run again this weekend?

Don't they usually have a Good Witch marathon around Halloween, and run all the movies?  And is there a Season 4 planned?

The Countdown to Christmas has already begun. :( If you want a 'Good Witch' fix you'll need to find it on-demand.

The movie was ok, but if the characters had been more suspicious of the stranger in town it would've been better. Just think, Brandon and the sherrif could investage and Laurie is/was a journalist(?) so she could've had a connection too! If only the writers would try a bit. 

I expect the show to be back in the Spring just in time for a Sam & Cassie (Sassie! lol) wedding. :)

I had cataract surgery last week so I've been off the computer so I didn't see the heads up and my damn DVR didn't pick up the Halloween movie either.  I tried to see if it's re-airing, even looked at On Demand but couldn't find it.  Do I have to wait for next Halloween or is there anywhere online I can watch it?

someone said something like "there have never been bats in (whatever the towns name is)" is that possible? aren't they pretty much all over that part of the country. we have them. you may not see them but they are there.

does the actress that plays cassie have a medical condition that causes her face to look the way it does or is it just bad fillers etc? it was a little distracting. she looks different even from the last season. although she looked much better with her hair up at the end. she really needs a new cut. the one she usually wears is not flattering at all.

yeah, i don't know why i watch this, i fast forwarded thru so much of it. its just so damn perfect. i used to wish my life was going to be nearly as nice as some of these hallmark type shows. now i know better. so i guess i hate watch. 

• Love 1
On 5/8/2017 at 4:54 PM, stillbored said:

(although I'm constantly yelling at the TV about there is no way Cassie makes any money at that store because she is always giving product away).

Well maybe her real supernatural power is that she can grow a magically-protected money tree in the back yard that nobody but her can see. The rest is just for show. And of course we only see 2 or 3 minutes out of her work day; the rest of the time she's hawking $2 trinkets to tourists for $49.95, and having the shop moved 4 times in 3 seasons.

• Love 1

I adore shows like Game of Thrones, Outlander and enough detective shows to fill a squad room. I can spot BS at a thousand paces. But this. A thousand times this:

On 6/18/2017 at 6:40 PM, the killer said:

Sometimes you want bland. Sometimes you want vanilla. Not everything has to be coarse and violent and nasty.
<snip>
Sometimes you just want to visit Hallmark town.

I can handwave so much here because of what this show's premise is, and the network it's televised on. I know there's going to be a happy ending, I know that very little is going to change in the lives of the characters (and certainly nothing bad) and I know it's pure treacle that's as deep as a Kleenex. But I don't care. I like that once in a while. It's nice to have a Hallmark romance wedged between gratuitous beheadings in Westeros and solving grisly real-world homicides on The First 48.

But what I don't like is bad story continuity. They get some parts right, others grossly wrong, especially some material from the early movies. Now that said, I just binged everything from the first movie through to Spellbound when the Olympics were on (no use for that), and all the mainstream shows were on hiatus. What bugs me the most is the constant change of location. Up until the start of the second season, the show was shot on King St. in Dundas, ON. Apparently the (real) town council decided on a 3 year moratorium on filming so the show had to move, and it seems to be flitting between Niagara On The Lake and Hamilton. But it's jarring nevertheless. Picone's food market is now always in a different spot relative to BB&C, Sam's moved from the original storefront medical building to what appears to be a suite of professional offices, and in a city of that size, there can't be just one part-time GP.

One location I found rather interesting, and quite near and dear to my heart, was the exterior of Ben's theater...that's the Regent (formerly known as the Crest), on Mt. Pleasant Ave. in Toronto. I was a projectionist in Toronto for 20 years and worked that booth regularly. The theater interior was shot somewhere else (somewhere I didn't recognize), but threading that Century projector sure brought back memories—the real theater had a Cinemeccanica Victoria 8 and a platter when I worked it, and the real auditorium is a stunning and huge theater with a balcony. That was definitely a working booth, though, or one that could be made to work again if film still existed as a medium. Movies are now all on hard drives, projected digitally (grumble). And of course, even the theater exterior was shot elsewhere in Spellbound.

Martha bugs far less now than in the early series and movies. Abigail needs to either go away, find someone to boff (probably in S4) or just grow the eff up.

The constant smiling is disturbing after a while. Really disturbing.

Where is Gwen (from the early movie storylines)? Couldn't they have found a way to write her out of the story? Where is Cassie's oldest daughter Lori? She's been MIA with maybe ONE mention since season 1's movie. If the actress is unavailable then recast, but the character's eldest child should not be that easily forgotten.

Like many here, I wish Cassie's "witch" gifts would be more fully explored, or if not explored, at least on display as more than just mere suggestions.

They missed a great reaction shot with the wooden steering wheel at the end of that episode.  Will Sam ever look at the back of it? And if he does, that should be on camera.

• Love 2