Type keyword(s) to search

Good Witch - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 8/26/2020 at 12:46 PM, Cowgirl said:

Whoops, sorry I keep get it wrong.  Thanks for the correction.  

Well she disappeared so you are forgiven for forgetting. I don't know why they did that but then again I think the TV Show ruined Good Witch. I loved all the movies but the TV show, not so much.

• Love 3

I loved all the movies too, though the last two weren't as good, I thought. Still no word that there will be an October episode, so I doubt it will happen.  

I do wish that the costumer would pick up a copy of the Pyramid catalogue and order some outfits from there for Cassie.  I miss her dressing more "witchy."

• Love 2
On 7/16/2020 at 12:03 AM, MerBearHou said:

I believe the renewal of “Good Witch” was announced tonight.  I’m pleased!

Why wouldn't it be renewed?  It only costs like $50,000 per episode to make.

• Love 1

I have a terrible time *finding* this show. I programmed my DVR to pick it up but it never does. I can never find the episodes or movies. I have generic Hallmark, not their trio of premium channels. I found season 6 on Amazon Prime but for a fee, same with a recent movie. Is it on Netflix? Hulu? I have a bunch of paid channels but I can never locate this show. 

My husband loves this show so I try and find it for him but it’s like a Where’s Waldo thing. I love the mayor lady but that’s about it. I’m a pagan and find the whitewashing of magical content cringeworthy. 

ETA: we have seasons 1-5 on Netflix, I assume season 6 will drift over. Still can’t find the recent movies. 

Edited by Quickbeam
Added content

Sorry I can't offer any info on streaming the movies, Quickbeam.  Hope you can find them.  Hallmark ought to be doing a marathon soon for Halloween, if nothing else.

I started watching the T.V. series from the start this weekend while I was sick.  I got through the first two seasons.  I must say, I like this a lot better binge-watched!  This surprised me.  Another surprise was the continuity of the look between episodes.  Sometimes I wonder if they filmed two episodes at once. Now, of course, I'm not talking about continuity of characters, as we all know that the characters often disappear into the aether. Also, the location of the hospital seemed to start shifting around as early as season 2.  During season 2, Sam makes such a big deal about keeping his private practice, then I swear we never see it again.  I will check that out as I watch further.  I guess we can count Eve, his chatty office manager, among the list of disappearing characters!

Just a note if you haven't yet bought the streaming seasons:  The movies from the previous seasons are found at the end of the next season.  For instance, season 1's movie, which aired that October after the end of season 1, is found in season two, at the end of the episodes, and is listed as episode 101.  I don't know why they can't put the movies at the beginning of the new season, as they come before the rest of the episodes in the timeline. 

• Love 1

Update, as I watch further.  I noticed that Cassie's storefront has at least 3 different iterations, but that don't evolve through time -- when they need a stock shot of the store's outside look, they just seem to grab one of the three.  There may even be four, but I am having eye trouble, so I'm not certain.  there is a "flatter" storefront sign, which is flush with the building, basically.  Then, there is a sign that is wooden and made to sick out a foot or so from the building.  I've noticed that sometimes the sign is unstained pine-looking wood, and other times the sign was stained.

We may have discussed this at the time the episodes aired, but I noticed that, in Season 2 (I think?) in the episode where Martha's son wants to get married and Martha tries hard not to take over, but the bride's mother turns up and is even pushier than Martha with a good dose of snootiness thrown in, that their wedding and/or reception is going to be at the Mill.  It is distinctive because of the waterfall nearby.  There is a chi-chi restaurant and meeting space there.  Very upscale.  Then, in season 4, Abigail's techie boyfriend wants to buy the mill, which Martha describes as dilapidated or run-down.  When Abigail tours the property with other prospective buyers, Martha points out that a lot of the mill's equipment is left there and it just looks like a big industrial space.  (Also, does the town own it?  Why is Martha acting as real estate agent? I realize she'd want to attract buyers to stimulate the town's economy, but yeesh.) 

And, I laughed in the wedding episode where George asks Nick what he is going to call him, and points out that Nick is George's daughter's husband's wife's stepson.  It was not a nod to all the unexplained disappearing characters, but it made me laugh.  Cassie's family has foster relations, step relations, blood relatives, and people that were just chosen to be part of the family.  (I like families like that!)

• Love 1

I just checked and it's still scheduled.

For anyone who wants to watch and doesn't have Hallmark, you can get a package from Frndly tv and then cancel when the season is over. 

On 4/19/2021 at 6:14 AM, treeofdreams said:

I just saw the promo for this season, and it looks like they are bringing the magic back.  I hope the season doesn't disappoint on that...

Literally came to say this. But I can't decide if it is just a tease or if they will follow through and also the addition of the new cousin feels too much like charmed. So I'm excited by the idea of magic returning but bored at the potential execution. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
36 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

Anticipation...looking forward to May 16!

Oh I just watched the promo and yes it looks like they are going back to 'witchy' things. I really hope they do because I still think Sam and Cassie aren't a good match. I really like Cassie's first husband, but oh well. I do hope this season is more fun like the 'Good Witch' movies. I still love watching the original movies, they were the best!

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, enduringforce said:

Oh I just watched the promo and yes it looks like they are going back to 'witchy' things. I really hope they do because I still think Sam and Cassie aren't a good match. I really like Cassie's first husband, but oh well. I do hope this season is more fun like the 'Good Witch' movies. I still love watching the original movies, they were the best!

I agree.  There were so many things they changed (whitewashed?) from the original premise of the movies/series.  I also thought that Sam and Cassie had zero chemistry.

• Love 4

I don't mind Sam and Cassie together, but am irritated that so much was whitewashed, or perhaps the writers were just sloppy and didn't bother to keep track of cannon. I haven't remembered to watch the promo yet, but join you in hoping that the magic is back!

• Love 3

My DVR recorded a two minute sneak peek for season 7. The only things that stood out were Catherine Bell's face is looking weird again (upper lip & cheeks) and the show has new writers this season! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, crimsongrl said:

My DVR recorded a two minute sneak peek for season 7. The only things that stood out were Catherine Bell's face is looking weird again (upper lip & cheeks) and the show has new writers this season! 

I am grateful for the new writers because the show had become so stale and left the whole witchy thing behind.  "The magic is back!" seems to indicate that the show has been listening to us complain about the direction the show has taken, so I am interested to see how they handle this turnaround.

Someone mentioned upthread that the show looks like it will follow the Charmed "power of three" theme.  If this means they really do real magic, I am happy for it.

• Love 1
(edited)

Happy to see this back again, and when I first saw the ad, then caught a snippet of the promo (my DVR did not pick it up) my thought was, “Someone actually heard all of you.”  Usually, Hallmark’s music is underwhelming, but I’m not sick of that song yet. For sanity’s sake, somebody tell me what the last word is???
No, not “uh huh huh”, it’s the “What’s wrong with being XX?” (sounds like two syllables, beginning with a hard c but you never know) It’s like they told a joke and the punch line is unintelligible!

If it turns out to be “content”, that doesn’t bode well for mystery and magic. 

Edited by Daff
7 minutes ago, Daff said:

Happy to see this back again, and when I first saw the ad, then caught a snippet of the promo (my DVR did not pick it up) my thought was, “Someone actually heard all of you.”  Usually, Hallmark’s music is underwhelming, but I’m not sick of that song yet. For sanity’s sake, somebody tell me what the last word is???
No, not “uh huh huh”, it’s the “What’s wrong with being XX?” (sounds like two syllables, beginning with a hard c but you never know) It’s like they told a joke and the punch line is unintelligible!

What's wrong with being confident?  I like the song too -- sung by Demi Lovato.

Looking forward to seeing this new season and what direction it goes!

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/15/2021 at 2:13 PM, Daff said:

It sounds like “complicated” to me.

Edited because I heard it again and it’s definitely two syllables, so not complicated.  Y’all may be right that it’s confident - but that’s three syllables, so I’ll just say it *should* be complicated, but it’s actually just incoherent. Lol

I had actually removed this show from my DVR and recently decided to give it one more shot.  I haven’t watched the first episode of S7 yet, but I really hope it gets better than it has been or I’m out.

Edited by SusanwatchingTV
  • Love 1

Thank you. Two syllables, three syllables, give or take the unstressed one (which is so typical in the vernacular of the day). Given the boastful theme of the song, confident fits semantically. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

What's wrong with being confident?  I like the song too -- sung by Demi Lovato.

Looking forward to seeing this new season and what direction it goes!

Thanks so much. Always happy to find new (to me) music. Name of song is “Confident”, and interestingly, she has a song entitled “Nightingale”.  (listened to Let It Go and about 10 others). So much music, so little time, glad I came out from under the rock. 

• Love 3

Saw season 7 episode 1 - the Party last night.

So I guess no one is minding Bell, Book and Candle anymore? Maybe Cassie needs to close down the shop and move it into Grey House as a Gift shop within the B&B. Martha seems to be her only customer anyways and Cassie gives away whatever for free.

The lines are as syrupy sweet as ever.  "We broke a pinky swear!"  Who says that over the age of 7?

It's filler tv at best.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

It's filler tv at best.

It's good mindless fun, and it's nice to have it back. That said, I'm not seeing any actual changes so far in regards to the magic. It's still the same-old, same-old, with Cassie knowing who's standing behind her and handing out essential oils. That's about it for "magic." 

They really don't seem to know what to do with Sam and Cassie anymore and are devoting way too much time to Abigail and Donovan. And they don't even seem to know what to do with them anymore either - we spend two whole seasons on this dumb "curse" and now that it's finally over they aren't sure they want to get married after all? And where are they going with Stephanie and Adam and - more to the point - do I care?

It was nice to see Tom again, anyway. He was largely absent from the show last season. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I  think they have thrown too many characters in at once, which is confusing.  There were bit characters from previous seasons who it  took me a while to remember, as well as new characters.  And too many storylines.

And then there is poor Sam.  Once they got married there is nothing for him to do, so they have wedged in bizarre mini-storylines which seem out of place.  Last night it was the boat trip which I still find puzzling.  I think they are supposed to live near Chicago (which, if I am remembering correctly, is a fairly short drive from Middleton) but on the boat trip they have sea breezes, white cliffs (wasn't that a shot of the White Cliffs of Dover?) and an island to get stranded on.  Just where were they supposed to be?

As usual I will try to watch the show just for what it is and not expect more from it.  But I still claim the right to nitpick!

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

As with other Hallmark shows, I've completely lost interest in the main characters and I'm only watching for the supporting cast at this point.  James Denton is totally phoning it in but if they're going to keep paying him, why not stick with the show I guess.

I love Martha so much.  She's been over the top since day one and she'll never change.  Though I went back and re-watched the first movie not that long ago, I had completely forgotten that she was a semi-villain in the beginning.  I'm glad the writers figured out that she'd work a lot better as quirky comic relief.

And speaking of villains, I miss when Abigail was a villain.  Or not exactly a villain but, mischievous and sometimes up to no good.  She was definitely Hallmark-ified.  They took away her dark hair and dark clothes and made her way more bland.

Edited by dubstepford wife
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, dubstepford wife said:

As with other Hallmark shows, I've completely lost interest in the main characters and I'm only watching for the supporting cast at this point.  James Denton is totally phoning it in but if they're going to keep paying him, why not stick with the show I guess.

I noticed that he is no longer credited with being one of the main characters.  After all the other actors were listed, there was a "with James Denton" afterthought.  I have this niggling feeling that he saw his character was being given little to do and wanted to leave the show, so they are giving him the above-mentioned mini-storylines to keep him happy.  (I wonder if he writes them himself; they seem amateurish and out of place.  Remember in a previous season where he went to South America or Central America and played hero in that storm scenario?  That was rather lame.)

But no doubt they want to keep him in for the sake of the show; they can't kill off another of Cassie's husbands.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

But no doubt they want to keep him in for the sake of the show; they can't kill off another of Cassie's husbands.

LOL. Martha would have a field day with that one. Probably proclaiming that Cassie was cursed. 

• LOL 3

I think they are supposed to live near Chicago (which, if I am remembering correctly, 

Actually I think they are supposed to be in New England somewhere, although they definitely film in Canada. I don't believe the show has ever specified exactly where they're supposed to be. 

I noticed that he is no longer credited with being one of the main characters.  After all the other actors were listed, there was a "with James Denton" afterthought

I believe Denton has always been credited that way. Unless he has been taken off contract and gone recurring they wouldn't have changed his billing. The "and so-and-so" credit at the end of the list of "starring" is a special designation that usually means the actor was the last contract player to sign onto the show and has to be listed last by guild rules. 

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I believe Denton has always been credited that way. Unless he has been taken off contract and gone recurring they wouldn't have changed his billing. The "and so-and-so" credit at the end of the list of "starring" is a special designation that usually means the actor was the last contract player to sign onto the show and has to be listed last by guild rules. 

With the way the opening used to be, where they featured clips of each of the main actors, he came second after Catherine Bell and before her daughter (Grace?) so he used to be featured at the beginning.

I just found the location info: 

From

Middleton | The Good Witch Wiki | Fandom

https://thegoodwitch.fandom.com › wiki › Middleton

"According to a map on the wall in the police station, Middleton is located north-west of Chicago, around DuPage County."  

I do remember them driving to Chicago to attend the memorial service for Cassie's mentor when she passed away.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It was nice to see Tom again, anyway. He was largely absent from the show last season.

I agree with this, but unfortunately, his character changed from a distinguished (mayor), active and dare I say, sane? member of the community to almost a cartoon character. Seems his only purpose now is to keep Martha’s wild schemes in check. 

• Love 2

Did anyone else feel disoriented?  It was the same characters but just shaken up slightly.  

Sam mentioned that Cassie had three jobs and I couldn't remember what the third job was until later when he said something about her students. They were both so busy that they couldn't spend any time together, but they were both able to drop everything and go out on the boat. 

What's the sense of overcoming a season-long curse if a high school girlfriend and setting a wedding date are going to create so much disharmony?  Donovan, you can do better.

So now George has magic powers? He's behind the bags of dirt?  Maybe it has to do with the disappearance of his wife who owned the garden shop.  Have they ever explained where she went?

To me the big mystery is if all of these people who live at the bed and breakfast are paying guests.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ShelleySue said:

To me the big mystery is if all of these people who live at the bed and breakfast are paying guests.

Ha!  Remember the days when they featured a guest each week and Cassie helped them with her witchy ways?  Now they don't seem to have any guests at all.

I'm going to offer my words of wisdom for the show.  Are you listening, show?

Good Witch has gone off the track, and has gone stale.  Never-ending storylines centered on recurring characters (Sam and Cassie's wedding drama, Abigail and Donovan's curse, etc.) Go back to the original format.  Have guests at the B&B each episode with their own story so each episode has something fresh.  The shop as well can bring in storylines about the customers the way it used to.  (Turn it back into an occult shop, even if only in part; enough with the pretty Hallmark look.  That is not interesting.)

Do not have so many recurring characters with pointless storylines.  They take up the oxygen - what there is left of it - in the show.

Give poor Sam something meaningful to do as part of the show, not some isolated mini-storyline that has nothing to do with anything else.

More magic!  That is why we started watching in the first place.  You promised us more for this season; I hope you follow through with that.

No doubt I will think of more ways, but this would be a start.

Please.  Fix your show.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

Ha!  Remember the days when they featured a guest each week and Cassie helped them with her witchy ways?  Now they don't seem to have any guests at all.

I'm going to offer my words of wisdom for the show.  Are you listening, show?

Good Witch has gone off the track, and has gone stale.  Never-ending storylines centered on recurring characters (Sam and Cassie's wedding drama, Abigail and Donovan's curse, etc.) Go back to the original format.  Have guests at the B&B each episode with their own story so each episode has something fresh.  The shop as well can bring in storylines about the customers the way it used to.  (Turn it back into an occult shop, even if only in part; enough with the pretty Hallmark look.  That is not interesting.)

Do not have so many recurring characters with pointless storylines.  They take up the oxygen - what there is left of it - in the show.

Give poor Sam something meaningful to do as part of the show, not some isolated mini-storyline that has nothing to do with anything else.

More magic!  That is why we started watching in the first place.  You promised us more for this season; I hope you follow through with that.

No doubt I will think of more ways, but this would be a start.

Please.  Fix your show.

Love this!  Yes, that's why we were drawn to and hooked on this show.  I could not be less interested in the love lives and frankly, Joy can go away too IMO.  I miss the shop and the B&B and stories of the guests and town visitors where magic entered in the plot.  I wish Adam would go away as well.  

• Love 4

I can’t believe the show was renewed. It’s really really bad. I have no interest in the new characters. I hate James Denton. Cassie‘s face looks like it is made of plastic or something she doesn’t even look like herself and that haircut looks terrible. Right now I’m just hate watching till it gets canceled. Could have been a good show if they stuck with the magic didn’t kill off her first husband etc. etc. I noticed no one really talked about the plot of the show last night. Well I can’t say much either because I kept on dozing off it was so bad . I do remember that that boat had The most cringe worthy name. The show is just a shell of its former self.  

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

I can’t believe the show was renewed. It’s really really bad. I have no interest in the new characters. I hate James Denton. Cassie‘s face looks like it is made of plastic or something she doesn’t even look like herself and that haircut looks terrible. Right now I’m just hate watching till it gets canceled. Could have been a good show if they stuck with the magic didn’t kill off her first husband etc. etc. I noticed no one really talked about the plot of the show last night. Well I can’t say much either because I kept on dozing off it was so bad . I do remember that that boat had The most cringe worthy name. The show is just a shell of its former self.  

I usually like James Denton, but he's just wasted here. They all are. The show is just bad. I felt the same way about Cedar Cove, but at least the gorgeous scenery kept me coming back. This show doesn't even have that. 

• Love 4

I thought the show improved somewhat last season, as I posted here, above. I also don't mind Joy.  I don't want Adam to go away - he is my eye candy! Yes, add in more magic.  I still think that Hallmark has pandered to those who are of the religious opinion that all magic is evil and should not be tolerated.  For heaven's sake - Cassie was not making sacrifices to the devil! She used her magic for good.  She had a familiar but didn't use it (the cat, Isis) for evil intentions.  She used to communicate with animals. Plants followed her bidding. She didn't just know that someone was coming.  Drop the stupid teaching subplot.  No one cares.  Have her go back to the B&B guest or two of the week and helping them with their problems. Have her tend things in her garden which have magical properties and help people. Bring back Derrick the Police Chief.  I like Martha and now like Abigail and Donovan.  

And to a poster above, nope. They never explained what happened to George's wife.  Also, Donovan's mother was the woman in the first movie who conceived a baby (as a different character played by the same actress), as pointed out by someone above. 

I'm glad Tara is gone. Wish Ben the movie theater owner/carpenter would come back. What happened to Sam's best friend who bought the brew pub? I own all the episodes on Amazon, but am at work and won't go and look that up. 

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

I noticed no one really talked about the plot of the show last night.

What plot??

29 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

The show is just a shell of its former self.

As the posters above seem to agree, it is all just a muddle now.  I hope they can pull it together, but they have a hard road ahead of them to fix it.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Well, I watched it.  That was booooorrring.  yawn.  I hated the orange dress. Not the most flattering look... imho

This universe is so weird to me.  Adults I know aren't this flaky.  Just get married already.

I also hated the return of the missionary non-boyfriend for the blonde. (I can't remember anybody's name and I'm not going to bother looking it up.)  I like her. Bring back the other guy or give her a decent man.  That guy is such a loser jerking her around like that.

They better drop that story pronto, or I will definitely have to stop watching. That was just painful, and not at all in a good way.

• Love 3

Did I mishear, or was there someone at the house named Kate? Is there a Kate? Or was that Joy? I'm so confused.

I noticed no one really talked about the plot of the show last night.

It was pretty threadbare. From what I gathered, Cassie and Sam are having a hard time finding time to spend together. That's their big story? Otherwise it was mostly about Abigail and Donovan, again, some more, and I'm sick of that. Oh and something about Joy dreaming about her parents. Like I care.

I also hated the return of the missionary non-boyfriend for the blonde. (I can't remember anybody's name and I'm not going to bother looking it up.)  I like her. Bring back the other guy or give her a decent man.  That guy is such a loser jerking her around like that.

Oh and that too. Yeah, sick of that too. (Her name is Stephanie. His name is Adam.)

• Love 3
20 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Actually I think they are supposed to be in New England somewhere, although they definitely film in Canada. I don't believe the show has ever specified exactly where they're supposed to be. 

The "and" or "with" before an actors name in the credits has nothing to do when an actor signed up, but rather is a special designation negotiated by the actor/agent to show that the actor is extra important.

Originally it was used as a way to draw attention to a big name actor in a smaller role without creating a false expectation that they had a major role in a film with lots of screen time (as you would expect from the people listed first in the credits).

These days (especially in TV) it's just a way to designate an actor as nearly as important as the person listed first in the credits without stepping on the toes of the lead by demanding a shared title card.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

On a completely shallow note, that orange dress of Abigail's really bugged me too. 

I don't understand why Joy couldn't just tell Cassie about her dream. That also bugged me.

Also, why did no one just mention the fact that the (What is Donovan's last name? I forgot.) boys both seem to be unable to tell people about uncomfortable things?  Abigail could have also ripped on him for breaking his promise to tell his mother. The stupid brother was supposed to tell Donovan he was bringing Quinn and didn't. At first I thought Quinn was some kind of aide to the brother. It took a few ticks to realize she was supposed to be his girlfriend. I also thought, "Oh look. Hallmark is still trying to be diverse and put her in as a token black person."  They could have made her a fun character and Abigail could have declared that she liked her, but they really underused the character in an episode crammed too full of other things.

• Love 2

Tonight's episode:

"Cassie and Sam's double date with hospital administrator Grant and his girlfriend, Monica, doesn't go quite as planned; Martha organizes a "Grease" themed movie night in the park."

MORE new characters???

The photo they are using for this season does seem very witchy - a good sign of a turnaround from past seasons.

p11395425_b_v13_an.jpg

I'm watching the season premiere and asking myself why I'm still watching this.  It's like a cross between standard Hallmark schmaltz and a daytime soap opera.  If this had been the show premiere I'd have turned it off within the first 5 minutes.  

I don't care about 90% of the characters.  

• Love 4

I think the show is still riding along on the popularity of the original movies that it is based on.  It has strayed pretty far from the movies, but some of us have hopes that it will recover.  The hint that they will put the magic back in has me hanging on, at least.

19 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I don't care about 90% of the characters.

Ditto.

• Love 8
(edited)

My spectrum app did not tape this once again. Does anybody else hate spectrum? Anyway so I had to watch this on the Hallmark channel with commercials😩

all I can say is this show is really a fantastic depiction  of WASP privilege!!😳😆

Edited by chediavolo
  • LOL 3

I guess with new writers, all this superficiality is to be expected (the two newest characters have a “drama” that gets resolved seemingly within seconds?). 
Martha is now dubbed “Queen of Bad Puns”! 
George-?  Did any of the writers bother to research his significant roll since the beginning of this show? If he’d had such a close relationship with Cassie’s grandmother (great?), we certainly would have known about it before this. Every time he started waxing on his fond memories, I just couldn’t pay attention and had to back it up to catch up with this weird new backstory they’re pushing. There must be better ways to bring George’s character more to the fore. 
That said, I like the changes to Abigail’s character. Originally, she got over her anger and jealousy, but they left her witchy (with a “b”) for too long. It was choice, though, having HER (the epitome of mindless competition) criticize her future mother-in-law for fostering competition between her sons. 
Stephanie definitely should have kept the carpenter! Alas, that actor knew when to cut and run. 

Do you suppose we are possibly seeing the best they could do filming this due to Covid restrictions?  The indoor sets are limited: cafe, Grey House kitchen and foyer, small office at hospital; no B,B&C shop, no clinic, town hall, busy street scenes (you’d need extras).  They seem to have filmed as much as they can outside (really dumb boat and apparently deserted island scenes). 

• Love 1