Type keyword(s) to search

Good Witch - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Thanks for the reminder AND hanging in there.  My guide says, "Good Witch: Curse from a Rose" (2019) [Cute, it would be nice if Seal actually sang during the episode] . Cassie's long-lost college roommate, Autumn Delaney, makes an unexpected visit to Grey House on a mission to disrupt Middleton's Halloween festivities. 

• Love 2

I can’t believe how happy I was when Nick walked in!  And Grandpa!  Didn’t care one bit for Autumn — even though you aren’t supposed to like her, I really, really didn’t like her (maybe it’s the actress).  I missed Grace but the reunion of these warm characters was such a treat for me.  And as TVFan17 mentioned, the teeny little glimpse of something in the water in the final moment was cool.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

I didn't understand the title.  The Curse From the Rose?

I’m right there with you. I understand why “Rose” might be in the title since they were throwing rose petals in the fire. But it seemed more like “The Curse From the Doughnuts” since it seemed like anyone who had one slowed down or something happened to them.

I was happy to have Nick back. And I liked that he photoshopped the picture for George. That was sweet.

I didn’t miss Grace. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

Autumn rubbed a little rose appliqué on her ever-present black hat every time she did something sinister.  

Her dastardly deeds cost a lot of money in tons of wet firewood, ruined flowers, business revenue.  She got off free with not having to pay restitution.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 2

I only caught half of this and glad I didn't waste all of my time.

So Autumn is pissed because she thought Cassie made her sleep and miss some big important interview in college. Uhhhh Autumn you never heard of an alarm clock?? Not like Cassie slipped you a ton of sleeping pills and messed with your alarm clock.

Sheesh. Even for the Good Witch the storyline was far fetched. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, MerBearHou said:
23 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

Autumn rubbed a little rose appliqué on her ever-present black hat every time she did something sinister.  

Her dastardly deeds cost a lot of money in tons of wet firewood, ruined flowers, business revenue.  She got off free with not having to pay restitution.

Thanks, I had forgotten about the rose in the hat. 

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 2

I was mostly bored with this but I loved the quick shot of Bessie at the very end as the camera pulled back! It's been so long since this show has even hinted at anything out of the ordinary. Even in the Halloween movies. I guess maybe we were meant to think Cassie lit the bonfire though. Maybe. Speaking of which . . . that was some lame bonfire. I've had bigger debris fires in my back yard.

So is Nick still going to be a regular next season? Will he be home for the summer or something? 

Didn't it seem like Nick and Grace were going to be end-game back when this show first started? It seemed so obvious. I guess the writers decided it would be too squicky if their parents  got together too.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Didn't it seem like Nick and Grace were going to be end-game back when this show first started?

I would buy Nick and Grace romance much better than their parents, which is what we got. I think this show should go with the weekly BnB visitor with a problem that Cassie magically knows how to fix. I mean that would interest me but I just don't buy Sam and Cassie, no magic there.

• Love 2

So, I liked this autumn movie.  It was not perfect (by far!) but still much more enjoyable than the last couple of fall specials were.  

I loved the scene where Cassie knew the 2nd event of the triathelon, then Abbigail knew the 2nd, and Sam states the third and everyone looks at him and he tells them that he read it in the mirror behind Martha.  It hearkens back to the original movies where it was always a bit ambiguous whether Cassie really had powers or not (as opposed to now, where all she can do is know who is behind her. ).  

I learned what a grimoir is!  This show is edjumacational!

It did, however, have a huge timeline problem! I re-watched and confirmed that Cassie talks about college and said it had been 25 years since they'd seen each other.  She talks about Autumn leaving without saying good-bye and it sounds like she meant from college, not some subsequent get-together.  So, if it was 25 years since college, and Grace is at college now, she must be 18.  Twenty-five minus 18 equals 7.  Cassie had been out of college more than 7 years before she moved to Middleton, got married, and had Grace, I believe.  If not, that was a lot of world traveling crammed into even less than 7 years.   I think she dated Jake for over a year before they got married too, so that shortens that seven years to at least 6.

More later. I'm at work.

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Didn't it seem like Nick and Grace were going to be end-game back when this show first started? It seemed so obvious. I guess the writers decided it would be too squicky if their parents  got together too.

Chiming in on this; yes, I too thought Nick and Grace were endgame especially when Grace ran off and told her best friend, who Nick was dating at the time, that Nick wanted to break up with her.  Also, I thought Nick was a little jealous that his arch nemesis was sniffing around Grace.

• Love 2

Nick and Grace always seemed too much like brother and sister to me, especially when they would bicker.  I never saw any romantic chemistry between them.

1 hour ago, Cowgirl said:

It did, however, have a huge timeline problem!

Timeline, shmimeline.  This is Hallmark.  You're not supposed to pay attention to that.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Nick definitely got Hallmark-ified.  In the first season he was fun, kind of a troublemaker who was pissed at his Dad for taking him away from New York.  He was the Jess to Grace's Rory Gilmore, her first bad boy crush (every teenage girl needs one).  But season two starts and he magically (no pun intended) seems to love Middleton and he and his Dad get along great and he's a supportive brotherly type to Grace and everything is fine.  

I wish Hallmark didn't shy away from characters like that.  It happens in every show, Good Witch, When Calls the Heart, Chesapeake Shores...no one is allowed to be even remotely interesting.  They did it to Abigail too.  She was way more fun when she was kind of snarky and stirred the pot.  Now Hallmark thinks that if they dress her in tight clothes that's enough to make her still the "bad girl" when her personality these days is pretty bland.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

Nick definitely got Hallmark-ified.  In the first season he was fun, kind of a troublemaker who was pissed at his Dad for taking him away from New York.  He was the Jess to Grace's Rory Gilmore, her first bad boy crush (every teenage girl needs one).  But season two starts and he magically (no pun intended) seems to love Middleton and he and his Dad get along great and he's a supportive brotherly type to Grace and everything is fine.  

I wish Hallmark didn't shy away from characters like that.  It happens in every show, Good Witch, When Calls the Heart, Chesapeake Shores...no one is allowed to be even remotely interesting.  They did it to Abigail too.  She was way more fun when she was kind of snarky and stirred the pot.  Now Hallmark thinks that if they dress her in tight clothes that's enough to make her still the "bad girl" when her personality these days is pretty bland.

True, it was always a rather odd choice to play Nick and Grace the way they did in Season 1 while also clearly setting their parents up as a couple. Like, at the start of Season 2 someone realized the show is on Hallmark not HBO and you couldn't have Grace dating her soon to be new brother.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Why not? They did it on the original One Day at a Time! 😉 (Well, come to think of it, the characters were all adults when Barbara's mom married Barbara's husband's dad. I guess it would be weird to have two young dating teenagers who were also step siblings.) It made my head spin when I was a kid to puzzle out whether that was legal or not. 

Edited by Cowgirl

I liked the continuity with Nick's truck.  I wondered how many viewers noted the Bessie sighting at the very end, because it was kind of dark on my t.v. screen. (Maybe it's just that way on my t.v. and not others'.)  

I really like Stephanie with the chaplain (whose name I can't remember).  He's also good eye candy! I also actually really like Abigail with the Blairsville mayor. I don't miss Grace, as she was actually always my least favorite character (well, next to Tara when Tara went baby crazy). 

Am I the only one who laughed at Autumn's design for the bonfire?  (And her ridiculous description of it, making it sound like an amazing art installation?)  Yep, put it between four "historic" lamp posts, and pile the pumpkins behind it on boring shelves that look like they come from a supermarket.  Brilliant design! Also, that was the most pathetic bonfire I've ever seen!  It was little more than a large campfire.  The kids in Meet Me in St. Louis (a good Halloween AND Xmas movie!) built a better one! (And I think the oldest one of them was only ten.)

• Love 2

Well that's a bummer!  I think it's on again this weekend, but I'm not at home to be able to check.  When I recorded it the first time, the sound kept cutting out and I recorded it again on Sunday and watched it back in snippets throughout the week.  I hope you can catch another showing!  One weird little thing is that this show's title was in all caps on the Spectrum/Charter television guide.  It's like they decided to shout about it or something. 

Edited by Cowgirl
23 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

Well that's a bummer!  I think it's on again this weekend, but I'm not at home to be able to check.  When I recorded it the first time, the sound kept cutting out and I recorded it again on Sunday and watched it back in snippets throughout the week.  I hope you can catch another showing!  One weird little thing is that this show's title was in all caps on the Spectrum/Charter television guide.  It's like they decided to shout about it or something. 

I did a search and couldn't find it. The only thing they are showing is Christmas crap!

• Love 1

I'm about 3/4 through the Halloween special.  I found it on the DVR over the holidays during the not much new on TV spell.  So far this is one of the deadliest shows they've put together.  It's a complete descent in absolute Hallmark blandness and lack of inspiration.  I hope they find something new for the next season.

• Love 2
On 4/22/2020 at 11:39 AM, goldilocks said:

You probably found the info by now 🙂 but it starts Sunday after next, May 3rd. 

Gotta whole lot of catching up to do.  Don't remember how many botched weddings I've missed so far.  Must set my calendar <dragging feet>.  Think Martha's shrill yell, "Move it, Buddy!"  And with that, glad to see some regular posters here. Warms my heart. 

• Love 1

Loved seeing these characters back on my tv, hearing the music, seeing the town.  Wow, everyone looks pretty much exactly the same — that is hard to do.  Especially happy to see Nick!  Not sure what the deal is with the new woman — we’ll see.  Welcome back, Good Witch — I missed you.  Comfort food during this bizarre time.

• Love 2

It was OK. I guess the red-headed food blogger was in an episode last season but I don't remember her at all. I thought Adam was supposed to help Stephanie run the food truck. 

I probably shouldn't have rewatched the first three movies over the weekend because the TV series just pales in comparison. The movies were pure fluff but they were cute and charming. I understand the financial reasons to make it a weekly show, but I wish they had just continued to do annual TV movies. That way they wouldn't have had to kill off Jake and change most of the cast.

I also think it was mistake to make Abigail a regular character. She was fine as the antagonist in one movie but week after week of her is too much. I just don't think she's an appealing character, and they are trying really hard to craft a storyline around her and Donovan. It's like now that Cassie and Sam are married the show is focusing all its attention on Stephanie, Adam, Abigail and Donovan instead. It's disappointing.

• Love 2
On 4/25/2020 at 6:52 AM, Jacks-Son said:

Gotta whole lot of catching up to do.  Don't remember how many botched weddings I've missed so far.  Must set my calendar <dragging feet>.  Think Martha's shrill yell, "Move it, Buddy!"  And with that, glad to see some regular posters here. Warms my heart. 

Another Scaper, here in Good Witch land! Who’d have thunk it? 

i’ve tried to watch season 1 a few times between when the show originally started and now, but this week is the first time i’ve been successful. I’m half way through season 4 now.  Occasionally I wonder “whatever happened to Lori, or that boy Grace was friends with in season one?” but I try not to let it get to me. I’m sure it’s fine. This show is ridiculous, and sometimes I yell “STOP SMILING SO MUCH, YOU PEOPLE ARE STUPID”, but I continue to watch it.   

• LOL 4

I think they did a good job with casting the new cousin (forgot her name though).  She really does look like she could be related to both Cassie and Abigail.  I really rather liked last night's episode.  Both Tom and George had good roles this time.  Good fakeout regarding the sweet chili.  I used to hate Abigail's character, but I'm actually enjoying her these past couple of seasons.  

I am surprised that no one told the girl Stephanie was watching that, when your bestie needs a break, it's an opportunty for you to branch out and make new friends. Or, that no one told her to try hanging out with them and she might like her bestie's new friend. (Not that either of those always works!)

• Love 1

Isn't the reason why Tom stopped being mayor because of term limits? Could he actually run again if that was the case?

I'm not sure what to make of Joy. I suppose the show felt that Grace's absence left a void they needed to fill, but I really don't miss her and don't know that we actually need a new character to replace her. 

• Love 1

@iMonrey, some states allow politicians to re-run if there has been at least one term since they were in office.  Who knows how it works in Middleton.  

They were pretty anvilicious in telegraphing that Joy would be a member of the family.  I'm with you in thinking that they didn't need another character.

I just realized something -- there was some actual magic employed, which we almost never see anymore!  In last week's episode the book flew off the shelf and landed at Joy's feet.  I also liked how Cassie and Abigail knew all about Joy and her identity. So there prescience still goes beyond just knowing who walked into a room or building! Now, if we could just have a little animal interaction again.  

I like the new title card or credits or whatever you call it.  Gone is the blooming tea and its replaced with Grey House imposed over a full mooon.

• Love 1

You know, back in the first Good Witch movie, Cassie told Jake she was the direct descendent and sole heir of Elizabeth Merriwick, the "Grey Lady." She did not yet know about Abigail, who in "The Good Witch's Family" is revealed to be the daughter of Cassie's mother's sister. Assuming Cassie is a Merriwick through her mother, that means Abigail is also a direct descendent of Elizabether Merriwick.

Now, in "The Good Witch's Garden," Jake says Cassie's claim to Grey House is a hand-written will that isn't notarized. Assuming the will in question was written by Elizabeth Merriwick herself, as opposed to Cassie's mother or grandmother, I'm assuming the house is left to whatever living descendent can claim it. Which means Abigail would have an equal claim to Grey House.

And now, Joy would too. 

• Love 1

A bit more magic in this episode.... Cassie making the dart fall... Knowing Abigail and Donovan's song even though Abigail could not remember...Two black people getting a full storyline .... Abigail getting the jukebox to work. 

I'm surprised they paid for an actual pop song and not a random unknown one. 

Stephanie's ex husband looks very similar to Martha's husband Tom, only younger. They both have big square heads and no neck. 

I know this is Hallmark so it was to be expected that they would introduce a love interest for Joy right away, but sheesh. Now the show has three dating couples to come up with stories for every week. And they just drop the whole "cursed" thing with Abigail and Donovan? 

A bit more magic in this episode.... Cassie making the dart fall... Knowing Abigail and Donovan's song even though Abigail could not remember.

I've noticed that in general this season. They also did that thing last week where Cassie suddenly popped up behind somebody, and they haven't really done that since the movies. Maybe they got a new writer this season (or got one of the original ones back).

• Love 2

I guessed where Show was going with Joy once I realized that Grace wasn't on the show anymore.I'm sorry, but lurking around someone's home and sneaking into private spaces is NOT okay. If you think you're family, just say so! I'm already not liking this new character, but I doubt that's what Show intended.

And remember how suspicious Grace's stepson and daughter were of Joy initially? Where are they now? Just disappeared!  Or did I fall asleep (I tend to do that a lot with this show) and miss the explanation as to where they've gone ( or where they've been all this time)?

This show is like a bad habit that I can't break. The movies were charming, but this show, not so much.

• Love 1
On 5/18/2020 at 2:01 PM, jada said:

Two black people getting a full storyline 

LOL, it's sad that it takes magic for that!   They did use a lot more magic in this episode and I liked it! I think Joy also used magic to get her bullseye.  

@iMonrey, I agree that Stephanie's ex husband looked like a young Tom.  In fact, when he came into the diner, I paused my DVR to make sure it wasn't Tom.  If she would like to run back to him I will gladly console the handsome pastor!  I really like him. 

Glad George got a bit of a storyline and interacted with other characters too.  You might just be right about hiring a former writer -- or at least they got some that pay attention to the storyline and care about the viewers.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, TVForever said:

And remember how suspicious Grace's stepson and daughter were of Joy initially? Where are they now? Just disappeared!  Or did I fall asleep (I tend to do that a lot with this show) and miss the explanation as to where they've gone ( or where they've been all this time)?

Do you mean Cassie's stepson and stepdaughter, Brandon and Laurie were suspicious of Abigail?  If so, they gave a throw-away one-liner about Laurie having a journalism assignment (or was it a whole new job?) elsewhere and never mentioned her again, and I think they might have had a throwaway line about why Brandon left, but heck if I can remember what it is.  We also lost police chief Derrick.  And, don't forget George's wife Gail.   She's the one whose absence they literally have given zero explanation about. Maybe the plants in Cassie's garden ate her? Oh wait, they are suddenly not magic anymore either...

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Ratings this week:  1.752 M and a .16 rating.  45th cable show of the day.  

Context? Is that good or bad? For a Hallmark show I mean.

If so, they gave a throw-away one-liner about Laurie having a journalism assignment (or was it a whole new job?) elsewhere and never mentioned her again, and I think they might have had a throwaway line about why Brandon left, but heck if I can remember what it is. 

The last time they mentioned Laurie was at Cassie and Sam's wedding, and it was indeed a throw-away line about Laurie not being able to attend. I really wish they would bring that character back (instead of Joy). She can't be all that thrilled to see Cassie move on with a new husband. She hasn't even been seen since the middle of Season 1.

As for Brandon, at Cassie's wedding reception he said something about how he and Tara were leaving the next day because "the opportunity was too good to pass up." I wondered if maybe this was something they had addressed in the Halloween movie that preceded the season but . . . nope! They weren't even in it. So no explanation of where they went either.

And, don't forget George's wife Gail.   She's the one whose absence they literally have given zero explanation about.

You mean Gwen and yeah - they have never explained what happened to her. She was supposed to be off visiting her grandchildren in "The Good Witch's Wonder" and has never appeared on or been mentioned in the TV series.

13 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Context? Is that good or bad? For a Hallmark show I mean.

I was afraid someone would ask.  I'm sorry, but I have no idea.  This is the only Hallmark show I watch and haven't posted ratings for it until this season.

This may be really obscure but in Stephanie’s diner, when Adam kept dropping his fork when eating his pie, I had flashbacks to this happening with my husband which ultimately turned out to be a TIA.  The characters passed it off as pins and needles but I have to wonder if this is a precursor to storyline for Adam which, of course, Dr. Sam will be involved with. 

• Useful 1

@Koalagirl, so sorry your husband had to go through that.  I had a client who would get multiple TIAs and it was awful.  Hope your hubby is doing better!  That certainly did seem like a setup for something to come, didn't it?

LOL about my mistaking Gwen for Gail, above!!  Thanks for setting me straight @iMonrey!  My memory is going. Heck, I'd even forgotten that Brandon came to Cassie & Sam's wedding. 

They seem to be doing a good job so far, but they'd better not make Joy into Abigail 2.0.  

4 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

@Koalagirl, so sorry your husband had to go through that.  I had a client who would get multiple TIAs and it was awful.  Hope your hubby is doing better!  That certainly did seem like a setup for something to come, didn't it?

LOL about my mistaking Gwen for Gail, above!!  Thanks for setting me straight @iMonrey!  My memory is going. Heck, I'd even forgotten that Brandon came to Cassie & Sam's wedding. 

They seem to be doing a good job so far, but they'd better not make Joy into Abigail 2.0.  

Thanks Cowgirl.  His TIA was a side effect of the chemo he was getting so the doctor changed it.  Unfortunately fate was unkind to us and he passed a couple of years later.  I appreciate that you understanding my view of the incident. 

Is that the first time we've seen Stephanie's house? That's an awfully big house for one person. Is the Bistro doing that well? Or did she get it in the divorce? And why would Wes knock on the kitchen door when he came over? Even if he assumed that's where she would be it's presumptuous and rude. He doesn't live there anymore.

It's weird how they keep bringing up Elizabeth Merriwick. I get that they are trying to establish a family connection but none of them are descended from Elizabeth. In one of the movies Cassie refers to Elizabeth as her great-aunt. Which means Cassie and Abigail are descended from one of Elizabeth's siblings. And if Joy's mother was Cassie's second cousin it means they shared a grandparent which would also presumably be one of Elizabeth's siblings. 

If they want to lose me as a viewer, I can tell the how.  Keep producing episodes like this last one.  I'm not sure if it was one of the worst ones they've done or it's pandemic isolation for me.  I couldn't muster up any concern for any of the characters or interest in what was happening.

• Love 1