Type keyword(s) to search

S36.E09: The Sea Slug Slugger

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Did Jeff say the final food in the eating challenge was meat from mother of pearl?  AKA abalone?  No wonder Michael went back for the last bite after losing.  Abalone is good.  

I was plating dinner during that challenge and chose to look away for most of it.  Angela was horrifying.  I'm surprised medics didn't tell her to cut that deep throat shit out before she choked to death.  WTH.  That second slug was ginormous.  

14 hours ago, GaT said:

When Angela just swallowed that sea slug whole, I'm sorry, but all I could think of was that she was probably every guy's idea of a dream date.

Couldn't have put it better myself.  When Angela popped down the one sea slug whole - and attempted to do the same with the second sea slug TWO OR THREE TIMES - the primary thought going through my mind was, "How annoying must Angela have been in the other areas of her marriage for her husband to be willing to divorce THAT!?!?"  ;>

• Love 6
47 minutes ago, RedbirdNelly said:

Or how about the old challenges for immunity where they people in the power position stupidly make it really clear who is in the bottom--and then things flip.

Those were always awesome!   It sorted out the pecking order with no questions and opened things wiiiiiide open at camp.  Even better?  When a really savvy player has seen that go down in the past and doesn't want to make that same mistake, so he "targets" his alliance buddy and chops his buddy's rope.  Then his alliance buddy, even though he knows exactly what is going on, ends up very upset over it, and B*I*N*G*O, no more alliance.  These people just can't help themselves...  It would be very, very interesting if it were to come down to Dom, Wendell, Lauren, and Donathan just to see if they would be smart and let Lauren win because she's "shaky" or if in the moment they will go with their actual hierarchy which is clearly Dom/Wendell then everyone else.

Bringing back the auction would be cool too, you know, if we're going to be bringing back the oldies and the goodies.   I could see Wendell being the super cautious guy, saving up for something really cool like prime rib and pie, only to have the auction abruptly end with his wallet still stuffed with auction money.  I could also see someone like Kellyn giving it all up for one chocolate chip cookie, only to have the next item be a whole plate of cookies that goes for half of what she paid.  I could see Donathan tearfully holding out for the possibility of a letter from home, and all his tribemates contributing to the cause so he could win his letter over someone else.  I could also see Sebastian laying down his whole wallet for a set of rolling papers...

• Love 12
13 minutes ago, Nashville said:

When Angela popped down the one sea slug whole - and attempted to do the same with the second sea slug TWO OR THREE TIMES - the primary thought going through my mind was, "How annoying must Angela have been in the other areas of her marriage for her husband to be willing to divorce THAT!?!?"  ;>

Just what are you suggesting, Nashville? 

5 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Kellyn is annoying. The way she runs makes me laugh though so I don't care if she stays. She runs super slow but pumps her arms really fast, as if she doesn't understand that it's the legs that determine the speed of the run.

Hah, I loved this description, she really is just a total spazz.

1 hour ago, RedbirdNelly said:

Or how about the old challenges for immunity where they people in the power position stupidly make it really clear who is in the bottom--and then things flip.

Yeah, one of those where everyone has three ropes and people chop at the ropes are great 'showing the real pecking order' challenges. They should do them more often. Along the same lines is that eat like a king or scrap your way through an endurance challenge setup that shows who thinks they are 'safe'.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, Wandering Snark said:

Hah, I loved this description, she really is just a total spazz.

Yeah, one of those where everyone has three ropes and people chop at the ropes are great 'showing the real pecking order' challenges. They should do them more often. Along the same lines is that eat like a king or scrap your way through an endurance challenge setup that shows who thinks they are 'safe'.

the one downside of those challenges, I admit, is when one player is on the outs so there is absolutely no way for them to win immunity because everyone cuts them first and then moves on to showing the rest of the pecking order. Unless I hate that one player (i.e. a Hantz type), I hate that. So if they do it again, I'd like some avenue for the desperate must win player to have a shot at winning out (such as if you answer the question right no one can cut your rope--only losers are at risk).

• Love 10

I can’t remember who is or was Naviti or Malolo.  It has become truly frustrating not to be able to understand the basis for their voting strategy.   I don't think I've ever been so totally lost.

Wendell!  Never confide about your idol to gain trust!   For some crazy reason this particular confidence always results in making your confidant more suspicious of you!   And they always tell somebody else as soon as they think it’s to their advantage.  I mean, if you can’t keep your own secret – why would you think someone else would.  The impulse to divulge such a juicy piece of info is just too strong.  (Props to Laurel this time for not ratting him out; it’s only a matter of time.)  

Wendell was so great in that reward challenge that I wondered if he regretted shining so obviously and took the opportunity to balk at the IC to reduce his perceived threat magnitude.  (Though his reaction seemed pretty spontaneous.)   I agree with others that this Gross Food challenge was particularly hard to watch; I actually physically gagged for a moment (Michael at the very end), which has never happened to me before.

Laurel running was so beautiful to watch. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Apocalypso said:

I can’t remember who is or was Naviti or Malolo.  It has become truly frustrating not to be able to understand the basis for their voting strategy.   I don't think I've ever been so totally lost.

Wendell!  Never confide about your idol to gain trust!   For some crazy reason this particular confidence always results in making your confidant more suspicious of you!   before.

100% agree with both points. I don't know why people keep thinking sharing the idol knowledge is a good idea. It has rarely ever been a positive. It's much more powerful if no one knows.

• Love 3

Boring episode and obvious boot.  The show has become so lazy in its construction that we know we are going to be treated to two possible bootees each week.  When they introduced libby as a third, it could only mean one thing.  She was a goner.  This season has become like top chef- too many contestants, the same shticks every week and a season that seems interminable.  At the present rate, this season of survivor should be done in June 2019.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I've seen it mentioned a couple times that Des had some vendetta against Libby and I truly do not remember this at all. Where are people getting it?

Des has named Libby as her person to get out for several episodes.

• Love 1

Has she been alone in that though? Or making a big deal about it? She wants all of original Yellow gone and it appears the rest of original Purple feels the same way so I'm just not seeing it being some huge, jealousy-ridden vendetta against Libby from Des. But I don't pay super close attention to everything so I was just wondering if I missed something.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Has she been alone in that though? Or making a big deal about it? She wants all of original Yellow gone and it appears the rest of original Purple feels the same way so I'm just not seeing it being some huge, jealousy-ridden vendetta against Libby from Des. But I don't pay super close attention to everything so I was just wondering if I missed something.

I didn't see it as jealousy ridden. But for whatever reason, Libby has been her main target. There was more than one episode where it came up. I don't think it was a personal hate thing; just she thought Libby was slippery. Others didn't seem as Libby-focused; it seemed to be Des' main goal.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, RedbirdNelly said:

Others didn't seem as Libby-focused; it seemed to be Des' main goal.

Oh OK. I didn't notice that. I actually thought it was Chelsea or Kellyn that first mentioned her in the merge ep. Had Libby and Des ever been on a tribe together pre-merge? 

This has made me realize that I really don't pay much attention to Des lol.

5 hours ago, kikaha said:

Wendell, I fear, made two mistakes this episode.  One, he almost single-handedly won the WC.  Two, he told Laurel about his idol.  The first reminded the entire tribe what a long-term threat he is.  The second almost turned a great ally (Laurel) into an enemy.  Those two are my favorite players this season, so hopefully they can work out their differences. 

Three major mistakes. Three, he told Laurel about Dom's idol, which was the dopiest mistake of all. And just wrong.

I was all for the Donathon, Laurel, Dom, and Wendell four, plus Michael! But now I am so cross with W for doing that, and that mopey sad face he does at Tribal just before the votes are read...

There are so many people I want to smack this season, it's ridiculous. Chris, Desiree, Kellyn, Libby, Angela, Wendell, the editors, and on and on.

12 hours ago, amazingracefan said:

Wendell made a poor move telling about both his and Dom's idol, he deserved to go just for that I thought.  It's not 'our idol', idols only ever really belong to the person who has it.  Somehow their group seemed to persuade everyone to vote for Libby and Michael.  Surely someone has to turn against that kind of control.

That is not what happened though. It was the Naviti women that came up with the plan last night. Angela put the target on Michael and Kellyn and Chelsea came up with the plan to split the votes in case Michael had an idol.

• Love 1

I missed it last night and I'm watching now.  It seems that people on this board do not like Angela too much but she was one of my favs from day one and she is a TOTAL BADASS.  My son is in the military so I appreciate her military toughness.  We've all seen what well-trained military women can do with Captain Shults!

Wendell is my other fav.  I'm happy that he's still there.  I haven't paid close attention this season but happy that two of my first three picks are alive in the game.

People say that Libby is pretty but who is the woman with the long red hair?  She is beautiful in a Celtic  goddess  way.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, susannot said:

People say that Libby is pretty but who is the woman with the long red hair?  She is beautiful in a Celtic  goddess  way.

That is Chelsea

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Nashville said:

If you don’t know... never mind.  I gave up despoiling innocence for Lent.  Just keep petting them bunnies.

Actually, I did understand what you were saying, enjoyed it, and was hoping to draw out the fun. 

I can tell you that from my (man's) perspective, that kind of talent by itself does not make for a good long-term relationship.  Or to be more accurate, it can't overcome serious problems that undermine couples. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, kikaha said:

Actually, I did understand what you were saying, enjoyed it, and was hoping to draw out the fun. 

I can tell you that from my (man's) perspective, that kind of talent by itself does not make for a good long-term relationship.  Or to be more accurate, it can't overcome serious problems that undermine couples. 

No, but it can sure make tolerating those problems a helluva lot more fun.  :>

• Love 2
5 hours ago, susannot said:

Libby is very pretty, but I would not dispute your observation about Chelsea either.

They should have targeted Des from the very start after she bungled the first immunity challenge of the season.   I believe that's when she started campaigning against Libby.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, kikaha said:

Wendell, I fear, made two mistakes this episode.  One, he almost single-handedly won the WC.  Two, he told Laurel about his idol.  The first reminded the entire tribe what a long-term threat he is.  The second almost turned a great ally (Laurel) into an enemy.  Those two are my favorite players this season, so hopefully they can work out their differences. 

I'd argue that in both instances, they weren't really mistakes. In the first one, the genie was already out of the bottle that he was a physical threat. If he starts messing up, playing it down now, it would become more obvious then if he embraced it. In the second one, he didn't really do that at all. Editing makes one think that but I have a feeling that by revealing his secret to her when he didn't have to, he strengthened their bond, not the opposite.

Three major mistakes. Three, he told Laurel about Dom's idol, which was the dopiest mistake of all. And just wrong.

If anything, that hammered home the fact that he was telling Laurel everything since she already knew about Dom's idol.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I didn't see it as jealousy ridden. But for whatever reason, Libby has been her main target. There was more than one episode where it came up. I don't think it was a personal hate thing; just she thought Libby was slippery. Others didn't seem as Libby-focused; it seemed to be Des' main goal.

To be fair, Dom was literally labeling her parvati not too long ago and plotting her demise as well. If not for bigger threats, she'd be gone pre jury and it would've had nothing to do with Des

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, millennium said:

They should have targeted Des from the very start after she bungled the first immunity challenge of the season.   I believe that's when she started campaigning against Libby.

They were on different tribes at that time.  And were until the merge.  So the "Des targeting Libby" thing has only been for a couple episodes.

For some clarification: original Malolo is down to Michael, Jenna (the non-Angela blonde), Donathan, and Laurel.  (They still have orange/light-colored clothing).  Michael stayed on Malolo all the way until the merge.  Jenna was on Malolo until Yanuya (green) came into being, when she joined that tribe.  Donathan swapped to Naviti in the first swap and stayed there until the merge (as did Libby).  Laurel has been on all 4 tribes this season.

Everyone else left started on Naviti.  (Purples/blues/dark colors).  Desiree and Kellyn swapped to Malolo on the first swap and stayed there until the merge.  Angela was on Naviti until the second swap.  Chelsea (the silent red-head) bounced between Naviti and Malolo in the swaps.  Domenick is to Naviti what Michael is to Malolo; the only constant.  Wendell was like Jenna, staying on his starting tribe until joining the 3rd one.  And Sea Bass is like Laurel, having worn all 4 buffs.

• Love 10

Did anyone catch the complete vote breakdown at TC? I assumed it was 6 for Michael, 5 for Libby, and 1 for Wendell. But then Rob and Stephen on RHAP started talking about how Michael just needed to flip Libby and Jenna to blindside a Naviti and I realized I don't know WTF is going on.

I wonder if things would have gone differently if Michael had targeted someone Laurel and Donathan weren't aligned with. Might not have mattered but Chelsea may have been more palatable.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, phlebas said:

Did anyone catch the complete vote breakdown at TC? I assumed it was 6 for Michael, 5 for Libby, and 1 for Wendell.

Close.  It was 7 Michael, 4 Libby, 1 Wendell.  I was counting to see how many votes the F-ing Stick nullified now that it was a Real Boy Idol, and it was definitely 7.  The one for Wendell was from Michael himself, and the other 4 had to be for Libby because we only saw 3.

• Love 2

That reminds me: pour one out in memory of our friend, The F**king Stick.

Farewell, F**king Stick. You not only gave your life to save Michael, but you also made Jason Siska look like such a gullible bonehead that we have been spared a return visit.

You did good, F**king Stick. I will remember you almost as fondly as Erik's former immunity necklace, currently chilling in Wendell's bag.

Salut.

• Love 7

FWIW I did find a list of who voted for whom.

VOTED FOR MICHAEL
Wendell
Dominick
Donathan
Angela
Sebastian
Jenna
Libby

VOTED FOR LIBBY
Desi
Chelsea
Kellyn
Laurel

And of course Michael voted for Wendell.

I'm not sure what Rob & Stephen were talking about. It looks like it was over for Libby as soon as Angela deep-throated that sea slug. Maybe if they had targeted Chelsea or Desi, Laurel and Donathan might have gone along.  But probably not -- they are better off with Wendell and Dom than getting on board the sinking USS Michael.

And they couldn't have gone after Sebastian because of Jenna and the INSANE CRACKLING SEXUAL TENSION between them.

Oh well. Bye Libs. You seem nice.

• Love 4

I think Rob and Stephen were discussing what might have happened if Michael and convinced Libby and Jenna to vote with him. Honestly, it would have been better for the original Malolo had stuck together. If they had voted together, then Wendell would have gone home.  I am sure that Michael knew that the original Naviti were going to split their votes, so that would mean that the Malolo five would have the votes to take out someone, but we never heard that conversation. I wonder if Michael had told them he had an idol if that would have changed things because now the target is really on the second vote getter, which Libby had to know was her since she had been targeted a few times.

Libby has been a target since she helped to vote out Morgan. Morgan thought that she had built an alliance with Libby, Catholic Girls Rule, and was surprised when Libby voted for her. Dom thought that he had convinced the Malolo were going to vote for Angela and was surprised when they voted for Morgan, including Libby. The general feeling right after that vote there was clear conversation that Libby looked to be this sweet, innocent girl but really was a gamer who was willing to blindside people. Honestly, I think the votes were a sign of respect because they realized that Libby had the social game that allowed her to fool folks. James, the mastermind of that vote, was voted out a while back. Michael, another participant, would have gone home if he had not played his idol. I think there is an argument to be made that Michael is a clear threat that can be taken out when he loses immunity but Libby is able to fly under the radar and is more of a threat.

I also think that Libby falls into the conversation that Hannah had last week on Rob Has a Podcast. There at people that you play with that you get to know and like and establish personal relationships. When that happens, and they are legit relationships, it is far more painful when people blindside you then when someone you get along fine with but who you are clear is playing the game at all times blind sides you. So Des might have been more bothered by Libby's vote then she was James because Libby established more personal relationships with people then James. Donathon has been called a back stabber by Bradely and Chris, both whom talked about how they comforted Donothan and established a personal relationship but be cool with Dom who they knew was playing the game.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I think Rob and Stephen were discussing what might have happened if Michael and convinced Libby and Jenna to vote with him. Honestly, it would have been better for the original Malolo had stuck together. If they had voted together, then Wendell would have gone home.  I am sure that Michael knew that the original Naviti were going to split their votes, so that would mean that the Malolo five would have the votes to take out someone, but we never heard that conversation. I wonder if Michael had told them he had an idol if that would have changed things because now the target is really on the second vote getter, which Libby had to know was her since she had been targeted a few times.

That was what I was thinking, but the repercussions of that are hard to predict. The Navitis might have split their vote this week, but if all the Malolos rejoined to bounce Wendell, the Navitis would be motivated to vote as a block the following week and they would still have the numbers. I don't see how that's worth it for Donathan and Laurel, apart from losing a challenge beast (even that isn't necessarily a great thing -- be loyal to your challenge beast until the other side's challenge beast is gone).

That's why I think Michael would have had a better chance if he had targeted Chelsea instead of Wendell -- not that I can blame him, since he apparently doesn't know about the Dom-Wendell-Laurel-Donathan group. It still might not have worked, but I think it has a better chance.

Kind of academic now. I don't really trust the previews that have Desi apparently making a move and biffing it. I assume Michael is the next unless he finds or wins immunity.

Edited by phlebas
nonsensical typo
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I am sure that Michael knew that the original Naviti were going to split their votes, so that would mean that the Malolo five would have the votes to take out someone, but we never heard that conversation.

We did indeed hear that convo. Michael brought it up to Laurel, Donathan, and I believe Jenna when they were all lying in the shelter.

There at people that you play with that you get to know and like and establish personal relationships. When that happens, and they are legit relationships, it is far more painful when people blindside you then when someone you get along fine with but who you are clear is playing the game at all times blind sides you. So Des might have been more bothered by Libby's vote then she was James because Libby established more personal relationships with people then James.

I don't see how Des could be bothered by that when she was never on a tribe with Libby until the merge. But I guess maybe she just got annoyed on Morgan's behalf and/or just really bought into Dom's "Libby is an evil mastermind!" rhetoric. 

I hate that we don't have much info about how people were aligned in the original tribes, particularly Purple. It wouldn't be that big of a deal normally since they've swapped so many times, but this season the original tribe dynamics seem to be a big part of the post-merge game and yet we weren't really shown any of them.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

We did indeed hear that convo. Michael brought it up to Laurel, Donathan, and I believe Jenna when they were all lying in the shelter.

I remember them discussing voting together but I don't remember Michael mentioning the possibility of a split vote. Although, that is the only way that their voting together would make sense because if it is a straight numbers vote it doesn't matter that they vote together.

Just now, ProfCrash said:

I remember them discussing voting together but I don't remember Michael mentioning the possibility of a split vote. Although, that is the only way that their voting together would make sense because if it is a straight numbers vote it doesn't matter that they vote together.

I am certain he did bring up the split vote. 

I just went back and watched and yea the first thing he says after he asks them how they're thinking of voting is, "If Naviti splits the votes and Maolo votes together, we can blindside anyone we want."

• Love 3
On 4/18/2018 at 10:15 PM, Eolivet said:

It's funny, because superficially, they look similar (except clean-cut Michael and maybe a little nuMalcolm), but they're so, SO different. Also, apparently Hannah compared Sebastian to Jay, and that's so insulting to Jay ... all I can say is clearly Hannah's utter inability to read people hasn't changed.

Late but only seeing this comment now. Wait, which Jay was Sebastian being compared to? Jay who competed on Milennials vs. Gen X-ers, because if so, THE HELL? Think what you will about Jay's personality and whether you were a fan or not but that boy was a player in his season. Has Sebastian done or contributed anything meaningful to any vote this season? Dude just seems to be coasting and the definition of just going along hoping his name doesn't come up. I haven't seen an ounce of strategic game play from Sebastian. Was Hannah (who I assume was the same Hannah from Jay's season) smoking some of Sebastian's stuff when she made that comment?

As much as I've enjoyed watching Michael play, I saw shades of Chris in his interactions with Angela this episode—just talking at her rather than showing any interest in having a discussion with her. 

I didn't see that at all. Like you said, I think Angela deliberately asked Michael leading questions to get him to say stuff that she could then use against him and rally others against him. She's the one that asked who he thought were the biggest threats and he said Wendell and Dom because they're so close and both so strong and strategic threats. She then asked him which one he thinks would be better to go after and then he said Wendell. He didn't go up to her and say they had to vote Wendell, end of story, like Chris would have done. In fact, Angela herself noted the difference in talking and discussing with Michael, versus when she was playing the game with Chris. But she just decided she wanted to cause chaos or whatever and so she went to everyone spilling what Michael said. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, phlebas said:

That was what I was thinking, but the repercussions of that are hard to predict. The Navitis might have split their vote this week, but if all the Malolos rejoined to bounce Wendell, the Navitis would be motivated to vote as a block the following week and they would still have the numbers. I don't see how that's worth it for Donathan and Laurel, apart from losing a challenge beast (even that isn't necessarily a great thing -- be loyal to your challenge beast until the other side's challenge beast is gone).

That's why I think Michael would have had a better chance if he had targeted Chelsea instead of Wendell -- not that I can blame him, since he apparently doesn't know about the Dom-Wendell-Laurel-Donathan group. It still might not have worked, but I think it has a better chance.

Kind of academic now. I don't really trust the previews that have Desi apparently making a move and biffing it. I assume Michael is the next unless he finds or wins immunity.

Yep and Laurel ain't exactly a weakling.  Wendell's boot pulls her right into the spotlight for two reasons, she's also a challenge beast and Dom's pissed.  Wendell's boot does nothing for her game.  The crazy thing is that Donathon had already jumped ( he told Libby about the plan), Laurel had to bring him back over.  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, truthaboutluv said:

Late but only seeing this comment now. Wait, which Jay was Sebastian being compared to? Jay who competed on Milennials vs. Gen X-ers, because if so, THE HELL? Think what you will about Jay's personality and whether you were a fan or not but that boy was a player in his season. Has Sebastian done or contributed anything meaningful to any vote this season? Dude just seems to be coasting and the definition of just going along hoping his name doesn't come up. I haven't seen an ounce of strategic game play from Sebastian. Was Hannah (who I assume was the same Hannah from Jay's season) smoking some of Sebastian's stuff when she made that comment?

Is there another Jay? Yes, it would be that Jay, and that Hannah, and my only possible explanation -- other than smoking Sebastian's stuff -- is an extremely superficial read of "chill surfer bro from Florida who has slightly longer hair." Which are literally the only things those two have "in common." Even leaving aside the strategy, Jay was a competitor. Has Sebastian contributed meaningfully to any challenge that didn't involve shoving bugs in his mouth?

If she'd said "Sebastian is another Devon," (from Heroes/Healers/Hustlers -- the chill surfer bro from California, who namaste'd on the beach prior to his fire-making challenge and made all sorts of goofy comments at tribal council) that would've made more sense. Though Devon also had his strategic moments, too (double-agent Ben was his brainchild and one of the more creative strategies I've seen in a while). Heck, Sebastian is more of another Taylor (from Millennials vs Gen X) -- goofy caricature with a quasi-showmance. But even Taylor was more strategic!

Sebastian is more "another Game Changers Ozzy" -- looks-wise and strategy-wise -- before he's another Jay. Then again, this is Hannah -- she of the "you mean booting the goats instead of David Wright isn't a winning strategy?" strategy, so ... grain of salt.

• Love 1
On 4/18/2018 at 11:25 PM, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Also, at TC Angela said she was sick of being left out of conversations. Well YEAH, cause when someone tells you anything, you go and verbal diarrhea about it all over the island to everyone. 

Wasn't she kept out of conversations up until this episode because she was aligned with Chris?  They figured anything they told her would go straight to him, so they didn't try to play with her.

I've forgotten whether Wendell has his own idol, or if "his" is the one that Dom has.  Too many idols, too many tribe switches.

Yeah gross food challenge!  I hope they go on to have the auction, and the "show where you stand" rope chopping, and a memory test.  No more puzzle pieces!

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

I've forgotten whether Wendell has his own idol, or if "his" is the one that Dom has.  Too many idols, too many tribe switches.

Wendell has the giant immunity necklace that Eric Riechenbach famously gave away in Micronesia.  I'm sure it's taking all Wendell's MacGyver skills to keep that thing hidden.

• Love 2

Wendell has his own idol. Right now, Wendell and Dom are the only two with an idol. The fucking stick will be replaced with some other cursed idol, the only question is whether the new idol will be at the beach or Ghost Island.

A gross food challenge and no fafaru?  Survivor, you're slipping.  B Rob gagging on fafaru is one of your most iconic moments.

The thing about the gross food challenges is the amount of food that has to be consumed.  One of those larvae is big but THREE?!  Gigantic sea slugs followed by all that abalone?  C'mon, man!  

Wendell is continually making me love him more each week.  The dominance at the reward challenge then the refusal to even attempt those larvae.  I love how he seems to be having fun this entire time.  It is a game and while he's killing it so far, he doesn't seem to take it too seriously.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Eolivet said:

Is there another Jay? Yes, it would be that Jay, and that Hannah, and my only possible explanation -- other than smoking Sebastian's stuff -- is an extremely superficial read of "chill surfer bro from Florida who has slightly longer hair." Which are literally the only things those two have "in common." Even leaving aside the strategy, Jay was a competitor. Has Sebastian contributed meaningfully to any challenge that didn't involve shoving bugs in his mouth?

I can see comparing Sebastian to Jay.  We haven't seen enough of Sebastian really to know anything about his game or lack of it, in my opinion.  He's been shown only for comic relief so far.  

Wasn't Jay also in that role for a while-- comic surfer dude no one dislikes?  Then it changed a bit more toward the end?  

1 minute ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Wasn't Jay also in that role for a while-- comic surfer dude no one dislikes? 

Not ... really. Jay put together the alliance that was in the power position for the first half of the game. By this point in the game, Jay had booted Michaela, eaten the food that Taylor stole from camp, had his entire alliance decimated and somehow found another alliance to join, and maybe won one immunity challenge. At this point in the game, Sebastian ... has had a flirtmance with Jenna, licked his elbow, made the finals of a gross eating challenge and has literally been in the majority the entire time.

I don't see it at all, beyond the most superficial of comparisons amounting to "common hobbies" and "common states of residence" and "common hairstyles." Sebastian is just ... a nobody this season.

• Love 3

Yes, that's his edit.  I doubt he actually did nothing else out there. 

If one loved Jay and hates Sebastian I guess it's insulting to hear that others see similarities in them.  

Funny how the young, pretty blondes are all alike to so many viewers but if you compare the surfer dudes on just physical or personality traits, that's not ok because it's their game contribution that's all important.  

I really hope Michael and Wendell aren't going to be pitted against each other for the rest of the season, because they're the main reason I continue to watch, and not just because they bring the pretty. It would be a shame to lose either of them. But while it may seem superficial, why was Wendell wearing his underwear for the award challenge and not his swimsuit? The pixilators have given up this season. There was also a shot of Libby (I think) walking away with major butt cheeks hanging out the bottom of her shorts.

Was Michael allowed to have margaritas when he's only 18? Wasn't there an underage contestant a few seasons back who wasn't allowed to drink alcohol? Of course, this time only the producers know that Michael is not really 23.

Eating mother of pearl couldn't have been that hard for oyster lovers, right? I'm just glad they didn't serve up balut this time! That to me is the grossest of the gross.

15 minutes ago, valandsend said:

Was Michael allowed to have margaritas when he's only 18?

He wasn't on the winning team but I think he would not have been allowed.  But I think he would've made it appear that he opted out of the alcoholic drink.  

19 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

He wasn't on the winning team but I think he would not have been allowed.  But I think he would've made it appear that he opted out of the alcoholic drink.  

The legal drinking age in Fiji is 18. I don't know if getting his drinks bought by an American corporation complicates things.  Had he been on the reward, I doubt CBS would have shown him drinking anything if he had.