Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E18: Daddy Issues

I liked the physical comedy of Claire dangling off the pipe and Phil picking Joe up to answer a phone call. The Manny plot was boring and I have no idea who George Iglesias is so I don't know why the ads kept touting him as a special guest star.

• Love 3
(edited)

I thought it was a very good episode. Gloria's detailed plot, while cruel, was funny. Joe was used well. So was the mop.  I was expecting a novelty keychain in that large box.

It's a good thing that Lily is basically a good kid because Cam and Mitchell really are too narcissistic to have her best interests in mind. Pretty soon, she'll be raising them. I pity her when they get old. They'll be way too proud to admit they should give up driving or accept help until something bad has happened. 

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 13

I was actually disappointed that Jorge wasn't Manny's father! Really laughed at all those scenes with Jay's little comments and reactions.

Cringed through Mitch and Cam's storyline, but finally a Lily sighting. She might not be the best actress or they don't know what to do with her, but I find it ridiculous that she's been missing in so many episodes, often without a mention.

Also thought that their would be a novelty keychain in that box of Phil's!

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, Meraji said:

I was actually disappointed that Jorge wasn't Manny's father! Really laughed at all those scenes with Jay's little comments and reactions.

Cringed through Mitch and Cam's storyline, but finally a Lily sighting. She might not be the best actress or they don't know what to do with her, but I find it ridiculous that she's been missing in so many episodes, often without a mention.

Also thought that their would be a novelty keychain in that box of Phil's!

Lilly being so under used this season has been so glaring. Then to have something like this with the entire bra situation would have worked if: 1. they wouldn't talked about several times last year that she had entered puberty. 2. The entire "spa party" where it was mentioned how not only they were older girls, but how Cam and Mitch were so out of touch on things. 3. That Lily was being asked to skip a grade and they wanted to be more focused on her. Instead Lily has been ignored to the point to where would a adoption agency ever agreed on such self-absorbed and oblivious couple. As for the Manny story, that was funny and basically was giving an answer: "No, Manny just had a bad spin of genetics for how he is." At the same time, I'm glad that both Jay and Manny were: "Wait, you are right, he does look and act like me." Even if it took Manny seeing the fake DNA test to get it. He is so oblivious to things to the point of Cam and Mitch. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I thought it was a very good episode. Gloria's detailed plot, while cruel, was funny. Joe was used well. So was the mop.  I was expecting a novelty keychain in that large box.

It's a goid thong that Lily is basically a good kid because Cam and Mitchell really are too narcissistic to have her best interests in mind. Pretty soon, she'll be raising them. I pity her when they get old. They'll be way too proud to admit they should give up driving or accept help until something bad has happened. 

They really are very self involved people and oblivious to her.  The fact they never thought she might need a bra?  Or she is too young for puberty to start?  Thelarache starts on average at age 10 and menarche at age 13. 

Didn't mind the Manny story, did figure out it was a joke before Gloria said so. 

Phil with his magic mop was funny. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, possibilities said:

Gabriel Iglesias is a stand up comedian. He sometimes calls himself "Fluffy".

For years, every time I opened Netflix this guy's standup special was suggested. Spoiler- it bad.

To make him act like Manny for an episode was beyond cruel.

Gloria's prank was both cruel, and pretty hilarious. "I didn't realize this prank was going to go so far. You made grandpa cry". 

The physical comedy with the apartment falling apart was hilarious, and I loved the magic super mop. 

• Love 10

I loved this episode! Especially the Gloria and her old boyfriend story.  I actually laughed out loud several times during the show--- something I've rarely done this whole season.  This felt like a throwback Modern Family episode :)

• Love 6
12 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

They really are very self involved people and oblivious to her.  The fact they never thought she might need a bra?  Or she is too young for puberty to start?  Thelarache starts on average at age 10 and menarche at age 13. 

I know and it's been brought before even with Lily said last season she just started wearing one and even talked about how she didn't know if she was looking old enough like the other girls. It makes them look way too oblivious. Even when they were trying to do the "fake talk" at school to figure out what was going on. 

On 4/5/2018 at 12:10 PM, tennisgurl said:

Gloria's prank was both cruel, and pretty hilarious. "I didn't realize this prank was going to go so far. You made grandpa cry". 

The physical comedy with the apartment falling apart was hilarious, and I loved the magic super mop. 

I agree - it was cruel but still pretty funny.  I never understood how two hot parents had.......Manny.

• Love 6

huh they probably should have done it that the guy really was manny's father, might have lead to some interesting character development for manny and a good story for him

• Love 7
16 hours ago, balmz said:

huh they probably should have done it that the guy really was manny's father, might have lead to some interesting character development for manny and a good story for him

Yeah, actually I was a little disappointed too. I mean, I really REALLY like Benjamin Bratt, but it's not like he was on the show that often.

• Love 4

I guess I'm the only one who didn't catch on that it was a joke. That would have been an interestingplot twist. 

On another note, Jay's speech to Manny made me cry. Just lost my dad not too long ago so it hit me hard. 

Loved the gift & date night Phil & Claire had. 

• Love 5
20 hours ago, balmz said:

I agree however I would send the DNA samples to a firm not off with Alex.   

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I agree however I would send the DNA samples to a firm not off with Alex.   

Alex was in on the joke.

Gabriel Iglesias is way busier than Benjamin Bratt so he wouldn't be more available.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Alex was in on the joke.

Gabriel Iglesias is way busier than Benjamin Bratt so he wouldn't be more available.

No, I get that Alex was in on it - I am thinking (way too much about it on a Saturday night, lol) that Jay would want something a little more scientific than Alex.  I have a stellar "Actual Factual Science Son" with access to awesome labs in college, but I would send it away to a third party.  Yes, I need a life.

I actually thought Manny was going to be in on the joke to get out of seeing the comedian that Jay wanted to see. I really didn't think that Manny was a real fan and was just humoring Jay because he cares about him.

• Love 2
On 4/6/2018 at 3:32 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

I agree - it was cruel but still pretty funny.  I never understood how two hot parents had.......Manny.

It's more common than you think. Being in education, I've seen it left and right and no excuses from poor diet or emotional stress. I've seen very over weight people have extremely attractive children and vice versa. Even ones that say: "I looked like that their age, and now look at me." I just felt that after 9 years, this joke was a little too late. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, readster said:

It's more common than you think. Being in education, I've seen it left and right and no excuses from poor diet or emotional stress. I've seen very over weight people have extremely attractive children and vice versa. Even ones that say: "I looked like that their age, and now look at me." I just felt that after 9 years, this joke was a little too late. 

Overweight and attractive are not mutually exclusive.  Imagine that.

On topic, I thought this was a good episode,  particularly everything with Phil and Claire.  

• Love 9

I thought Cam's and Mitchell's whole "girl parts are icky" attitude through the whole episode was awful.  You have a female daughter -- if you think she's icky, let someone else raise her.

• Love 11

Cruelty of the "prank" aside, I just kept marvelling at the fact that they had found an actor that looked SO much like Rico Rodriguez! I guess it really is true that we all have doppelgangers out there.

As for Mitch and Cam regarding Lily, they were so oblivious that it veered into slapstick already. Why be so offended that a teacher is making suggestions that their daughter speak to another female about issues that concern having female body parts? It had absolutely nothing to do with them being a gay couple, or about their overall parenting ability, which is how they seemed to be taking it. It would be no different if, say, you had a single mom raising an adolescent boy. Of course he would have concerns that she really couldn't address, as she hadn't undergone them herself.

And did I hear correctly, or did Mitch and Cam actually say they were GOING OUT FOR DINNER during Lily's party?? Seriously, how clueless would you have to be, leaving a group of tweens in a house alone for any length of time?

• Love 2
(edited)
15 minutes ago, SnarkySheep said:

did I hear correctly, or did Mitch and Cam actually say they were GOING OUT FOR DINNER during Lily's party?? Seriously, how clueless would you have to be, leaving a group of tweens in a house alone for any length of time?

It was Lily's friends party not Lily's and wasn't out their house so they wouldn't be responsible for chaperoning hence the p,an tp go to dinner, free babysitting.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

It was Lily's friends party not Lily's and wasn't out their house so they wouldn't be responsible for chaperoning hence the p,an tp go to dinner, free babysitting.

Oh, thanks! I think I missed that...I just saw a gaggle of girls in a room and Mitch and Cam there, LOL

I thought it was AWFUL, except for the last scene with Claire and Phil. Great physical comedy. As the children have aged, their comic appeal has decreased, in my opinion. I've never liked Sofia and despise the character of Gloria, but tonight's psychotic laughing was straight out of a very bad drive-in movie horror fest. I know everybody in the cast has gotten older but is it really necessary to embrace cosmetic surgery that much? I've never been a huge fan of the show but this was one of the worst, in my opinion. I think it's a good thing that this is the final season. I am hoping that Ty Burrell goes into a better vehicle. I think he is an amazing comic, takes dreck material and makes it spectacular. His solo work and scenes with Julie Bowen are the heart and soul of the show. I usually like Cameron and Mitchell  together too, especially when Lily is involved, but I thought their whole storyline in this episode was badly written.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

It had absolutely nothing to do with them being a gay couple, or about their overall parenting ability, which is how they seemed to be taking it.

In this case, their overall parenting ability was lacking, since they were (and are) completely unaware of their daughter's needs and wants (to say nothing of her anatomy).

• Love 2

I don't know man - I know people complain about MF going downhill, but lately Phil and Cam have me rolling.  Cam and Mitch talking to the teacher at school was hilarious - reminded me of the very funny scene with the two of them at the private school interview, when Cam pretended to be Native American and kept talking about "maize".  

• Love 4
8 hours ago, jhlipton said:

In this case, their overall parenting ability was lacking, since they were (and are) completely unaware of their daughter's needs and wants (to say nothing of her anatomy).

Oh Lord yes, it absolutely was! But I don't think that's what the teacher was suggesting (at least, not until the Fallopian Follies...bet THAT made for an interesting story in the teachers' lounge...)

• Love 1
On 4/6/2018 at 4:32 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Many years ago I had an attractive boyfriend and his parents were really not genetically blessed.  I was curious how that happened.  Then I met the uncle and it all made sense.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, AEMom said:

Many years ago I had an attractive boyfriend and his parents were really not genetically blessed.  I was curious how that happened.  Then I met the uncle and it all made sense.

Yep, had many friends myself who's parents were like that, but then had an aunt or uncle or even a 2nd cousin who was very attractive or they looked like them. So, I have no problem with Manny's parents being that attractive and he looks like that. I just think it was 9 years too late for this.

• Love 1